Jan Micheal Gambill now with a one handed forehand! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Jan Micheal Gambill now with a one handed forehand!

Frooty_Bazooty
02-02-2005, 12:17 PM
:eek: well at leasthe's tryin to change something to improve on his not so spectacular recent form

From the Delray Beach website -

In the match, Gambill used a one-handed forehand for the first time in his career. He's been practicing with it for about a week and a half. "I'm trying to change a few things in my game," he said. "Using the one-handed forehand is a large step for me. A step that really could bring my game to a new height. I fought very well tonight. Made very few errors."

although i am a bit sad that this means that Raemon Sluiter is really the only double hander on both sides of note now. Thats how i play so its a shame i only have one player to look up to now :sad:

Experimentee
02-02-2005, 12:22 PM
I saw that too :eek:
I wonder why he would change at this stage of his career. Its not often that style changes happen after so many years.

Frooty_Bazooty
02-02-2005, 12:29 PM
i think he has something to do with his absolutely dire last year. he's been as high as 14 in the world and reached t final in Miami in 2001 and t QF of wimbledon in 2000 where he took a set off Sampras. but since then he's been pretty crap. and last year he only earned 91 points and his only result of note was 3rd round at Wimbledon...

TheBoiledEgg
02-02-2005, 12:32 PM
Kendoll been practising one handers with Barbie :rolls:

Peoples
02-02-2005, 01:08 PM
You can always look up to Santoro ;)

jmp
02-02-2005, 03:35 PM
I hope this helps him. I used to scream at him on TV to go to the one hander so he could get the reach. But, I don't know what suits him. Good luck, JMG. :)

ae wowww
02-02-2005, 03:40 PM
I saw that too :eek:
I wonder why he would change at this stage of his career. Its not often that style changes happen after so many years.
He's experimenting. He had a bad last year, and the beginning of this year also went badly :sad: but hopefully he can start a fresh :D

alfonsojose
02-02-2005, 04:12 PM
Congrats, Jan Michael. One hand is better for .. strokes :devil:

RPH
02-02-2005, 04:17 PM
Surprising. I've found from my own play and the play from other two-handers on the tour ATP and WTA players who play 1-handed instead of the usual 2-handed on the forehand makes the shot pretty loopy and not a strong shot.

Still he seems pretty confused with it all. Last year I saw a photo when he was hitting a left and one handed backhand instead of 2 handed forehand :lol:

ae wowww
02-02-2005, 04:18 PM
Congrats, Jan Michael. One hand is better for .. strokes :devil:
Do you have to trivialise EVERYTHING?

Last year I saw a photo when he was hitting a left and one handed backhand instead of 2 handed forehand
Thats still his 2 hand forehand, sometimes he can let go though with one hand.

adeegee
02-02-2005, 04:18 PM
i've seen him play some unbelievable matches where i cant believe he hasnt been in the top 10 his whole career. but i've also seen him play some awful matches which make me wonder how he became a professional. i cant make up my mind whether i rate the guy or not. interesting to see how his single hander works out

tangerine_dream
02-02-2005, 04:28 PM
What does our resident Gambill expert Fee make of this change? :)

Aleksa's Laydee
02-02-2005, 04:40 PM
aaw cool jan mike :D hope it helps him!

ae wowww
02-02-2005, 04:43 PM
What does our resident Gambill expert Fee make of this change? :)
haha yeah! pipe up Fee!
JMG is online now, so I guess she'll be demanding some answers as we speak :lol:

alfonsojose
02-02-2005, 04:54 PM
Do you have to trivialise EVERYTHING?

why do u care?. Just put me on ignore :shrug:

Fee
02-02-2005, 05:25 PM
Well, since my public demands it... :lol:

Yes, he was online, but no I didn't chat with him. I had already sent him an email asking him what was up, and he replied in typical one sentence fashion (is that a guy thing or a tennis player thing?). Anyway, he said that he only used a one handed forehand for the match yesterday and did not use his 2 hander at all and this is a new thing for him. He sounds pretty positive about it all. I am intrigued and hope I get to see this for myself next week in San Jose (with my luck, I'll miss his matches somehow). I did become fond of that hideous 2-handed forehand of his after a while, when he sets up for it he can do wicked things. Trouble is, between the semi-chronic shin pain and his age (28 in June), his movement has become... well... uhm... 'less than efficient' and a one-handed FH can compensate for some of that (but only some, and he still needs to work on getting those 13 1/2's of his moving better).

'Resident Gambill expert' - that's not really a good thing is it?

CooCooCachoo
02-02-2005, 05:41 PM
I hope it helps him out :) I'd like to see him step up his game and rise in the rankings.

Pea
02-02-2005, 05:43 PM
I'm very curious to see him play now. I might be more intrigued if stuck with his two handed forehand and changed his two handed backhand into a one hander.;)

alfonsojose
02-02-2005, 08:39 PM
Go, JMG. You can beat JesusFed 6-0,6-0,6-0 at Wimby :devil:

tripthemighty
02-02-2005, 09:42 PM
JMG seems to have a stronger focus on his game now. His consistent serve and high ace statistics speak to that. And I'm guessing the one-hand forehand is probably a product of that focus.

At any rate, it's nice to see Gambill winning again. He seemed to be on the improve at the end of last year, but so far this year he hadn't accomplished much. But Delray Beach has always been nice to him. It's time for another title, huh? Maybe this year we'll see him break the top 15 again. :clap2:

adeegee
02-02-2005, 10:01 PM
Maybe this year we'll see him break the top 15 again. :clap2:

Thats a bit ambitious he'd probably have to win a grand slam to move up that many places

Chloe le Bopper
02-02-2005, 10:03 PM
And it only took him 20 years to come up with this idea? ;)

No really, if I was allowed to play with both hands off each side I totally would. My forehand is a weak shot :p

tripthemighty
02-02-2005, 10:04 PM
Thats a bit ambitious he'd probably have to win a grand slam to move up that many places

Well, certainly in the Entry rankings, it is highly unlikely everything would go so perfectly to let that happen. But the Race Rankings, if he plays well enough, he could end up top 15.

adeegee
02-02-2005, 10:08 PM
Well, certainly in the Entry rankings, it is highly unlikely everything would go so perfectly to let that happen. But the Race Rankings, if he plays well enough, he could end up top 15.

yeah fair point, i'd still be amazed considering he's been in a slump for about the last 3 years

Chloe le Bopper
02-02-2005, 10:08 PM
No, he'd just have to post top 15 results for the rest of the year. Most top 15 players haven't won a slam in the last year... there are only 4 to go around, afterall.

Of course, it's not going to happen either way.

tennischick
02-03-2005, 02:24 AM
And it only took him 20 years to come up with this idea? ;)

exactly! isn't it kinda late in the day for this change. methinks that he should stick to what is already solidly encoded into muscle memory.

Prizeidiot
02-03-2005, 05:56 AM
Well, he's had poor results, I say good on him for being willing to try something new. A lot of good players have fallen because they have refused to evolve their game, whether it be volleying more, being aggressive with groundstrokes, using slice, or in this case, using a one handed forehand. I hope it goes well for him.

alfonsojose
02-07-2005, 03:46 AM
Fee should coach him

*Viva Chile*
02-07-2005, 04:07 AM
Good news!!
He really remembered to me Monica Seles when he played :lol:

vogus
02-07-2005, 04:16 AM
JMGs two handed game has sucked for years. He was trying to play women's tennis in the men's game. He could hit "Big Babe" shots but he just wasnt mobile enough. He should have switched a long time ago.

Leena
02-07-2005, 04:27 AM
is that a guy thing or a tennis player thing?

Most tennis players... the last thing they want to talk about is tennis.

Especially Bovina, who'd rather go on about how she's a dancing hoochie.

vogus
02-07-2005, 04:30 AM
Especially Bovina, who'd rather go on about how she's a dancing hoochie.

Lena B, as you might expect for a 6'3'' tall chick, is an atrocious dancer.

Leena
02-07-2005, 04:32 AM
She's atrocious at pretty much everything. But, that's cool.

vogus
02-07-2005, 04:36 AM
she's a hell of a tennis player, even though, oddly enough, she never seems to be playing.

Leena
02-07-2005, 04:43 AM
She has the most lethal backhand in the women's game.

But, she's always injured.

So, I can't love her anymore.... even though I want to. :sad:

vogus
02-07-2005, 04:48 AM
arent you a bit of a Bovina clone, same height, same age, same nationality? (or actually youre probly one of those Sharapova type "American Russians" arent you).

Leena
02-07-2005, 04:50 AM
Lena is about an inch taller than me, 6 months older, same nationality... and yes, I'm a Sharapova type Russian. :sad: Except, even less than her.

And Lena is much much prettier than I.

vogus
02-07-2005, 05:03 AM
Lena is about an inch taller than me, 6 months older, same nationality... and yes, I'm a Sharapova type Russian. :sad: Except, even less than her.

And Lena is much much prettier than I.

well, she is quite a hottie it's true, althoug maybe a little on the skinny side.
Of course i havent seen you in person but judging from your photos you're nothing to complain about yourself. As you well know - otherwise you wouldnt be posting them.

Leena
02-09-2005, 02:55 PM
The guy on radiotennis.com said a few times that Jan's back to using a 2-hand forehand.

Maybe Fee can confirm this.

If so, he should go back to the 1-hander because he was losing 80% of points where he wasn't bombing a first serve in. What a putz.

Fee
02-09-2005, 03:31 PM
He's using his 2 hander again, yes. He uses his one hander when he needs it or when he can set it up properly, but on most shots he instinctively goes back to his 2hander. His match against Lee was a mess, didn't matter what shots he was using.

Fee
02-09-2005, 03:35 PM
Fee should coach him

Well, his results couldn't get any worse if I did... Not happy with what I saw on Monday night, but his doubles match with Robby was much better (and wow, the 'hot man' factor in that match). He knows enough about tennis, he needs to take some type of dance lessons or something, learn that there are FEET at the end of his legs and he should MOVE them every once in a while...

alfonsojose
02-09-2005, 04:23 PM
(and wow, the 'hot man' factor in that match).
:lol: :drool:

Fee
02-09-2005, 04:57 PM
Fonsie, you would have died. Robby in his sleeveless, JMG lifting his shirt up above his fine rear end on every point. If I hadn't been so concerned that this was the last time I was going to see him, I might have drowned in my own drool (but I love Robby like a little brother and he has told me we have to keep it 'clean' but he still lets me scratch his facial hair).

alfonsojose
02-09-2005, 05:07 PM
Fonsie, you would have died. Robby in his sleeveless, JMG lifting his shirt up above his fine rear end on every point. If I hadn't been so concerned that this was the last time I was going to see him, I might have drowned in my own drool (but I love Robby like a little brother and he has told me we have to keep it 'clean' but he still lets me scratch his facial hair).
:awww: :hug: :kiss: good luck, girl :yeah:

jmgsdoubsprtnr
02-09-2005, 05:35 PM
Fee, I'm so jealous of you and your relationships with the tennis players!!