What loss will Roger remember the most ? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

What loss will Roger remember the most ?

TheMightyFed
02-02-2005, 12:07 PM
Among these losses that have been landmarks in young Fed's career, as they surely modified his appoach of the game, what is the one that counts the most and will stay in his mind ?

-Safin: End of invicibility, including one full-year invincibility against top 10, but fantastic epic
-Kuerten: If he had won this one against a 3-times champion, who knows if he wouldn't be a Grand Slam winner today...
-Berdych: hard to swallow, given the Olympics were one of his main goals, plus it was for his country and it's every 4 years...
-Hewitt: tough to be beaten in DC SF key match when you lead two sets-zero

What do you think ?

Denise
02-02-2005, 02:00 PM
Safin in AO'05!!! (:

Leena
02-02-2005, 02:04 PM
Kuerten, to me.

Looking at how RG played out after that, Roger let a great opportunity slip by.

WyveN
02-02-2005, 02:26 PM
I think olympics because he doesnt get another chance for 4 years and who knows what the circumstances will be then.
With grand slams it is only a few months before you get another chance.

Puschkin
02-02-2005, 02:30 PM
I think olympics because he doesnt get another chance for 4 years and who knows what the circumstances will be then.
With grand slams it is only a few months before you get another chance.

I fully agree, plus it was an announced priority. But it was exactly his comeback after that loss, which proved that he is not only a gifted tennis-player, but a great sportsman, able to deal with defeats. That's why I am so convinced that we will see further great achievements this year.

jtipson
02-02-2005, 02:32 PM
Kuerten, to me.

Looking at how RG played out after that, Roger let a great opportunity slip by.

I think match against Kuerten is the one that hurt him the least. It's the only one where he wasn't really close to winning, for a start, and his expectations about winning the others must have been much higher. The loss against Hewitt must have been a big disappointment, but he has since made up for that in no uncertain terms. Right now the Safin encounter probably is foremost in his mind I'd guess, but as long as he can get a good win or two over Marat in the near future I don't think it will remain so painful. It's losing at the Olympics, I'd say, that would take the longest to heal.

rwn
02-02-2005, 02:45 PM
I think Roger will remember the loss against Safin the most because he had a matchpoint and he almost certainly would have won the title had he made that point.
But I'm convinced Roger will come back stronger, like he did after the other three losses.

Fergie
02-02-2005, 02:52 PM
Olympics 2000 :sad: :sad: :sad:

But I voted for Hewitt in Davis Cup 03 :sad:

maratski
02-02-2005, 02:55 PM
Why only a limited number of options? I vote "other", namely the first round at RG 2002. Hicham beat the TMS Hamburg champion Federer 6-3 6-2 6-4 :cool:

Black Adam
02-02-2005, 03:00 PM
well maybe his loss against Roddick in montreal 2003 was hard to swallow coz he was a point away from becoming world number 1......... never know.

jtipson
02-02-2005, 03:05 PM
well maybe his loss against Roddick in montreal 2003 was hard to swallow coz he was a point away from becoming world number 1......... never know.

He wasn't quite a single point away, I don't think, but he did say later that it was the loss that hurt the most in 2003.

Experimentee
02-02-2005, 03:06 PM
I think the DC loss to Hewitt because its harder to lose when you are two sets to love up, and he looked very angry and frustrated at the end. And looking at all the meetings with Hewitt after that, he looks like he is settling the score. Its no coincidence that the only top player he bagels so much is Hewitt.

TheMightyFed
02-02-2005, 03:07 PM
Interesting to see how many "key" matches we could have added where Rogi was so close to win. He really has built on these. :worship:
Kuerten loss was not close but it was the match were a player was the closest to the Grand Slam (a posteriori) since Wilander lost in SF in Wimby 88...

TheMightyFed
02-02-2005, 03:09 PM
I think the DC loss to Hewitt because its harder to lose when you are two sets to love up, and he looked very angry and frustrated at the end. And looking at all the meetings with Hewitt after that, he looks like he is settling the score. Its no coincidence that the only top player he bagels so much is Hewitt.

For sure that one really hurt Fed and Hewitt has not finished to pay it... some bagels are remaining in Rogi's bag, especially after the AO loss. Next opponents, I hope you love this kind of bakery... :D

FanOfHewitt
02-02-2005, 03:13 PM
The bagels have been worth it. (Well, not really, lol)

2 sets to love up. 5-3 in the third set. 30-all.

2 hours later Hewitt is doing a Wiggles impersonation.

Ouch.

Doris Loeffel
02-02-2005, 03:16 PM
Both Olympics (2000 and 2004) plus DC against Hewitt

TheMightyFed
02-02-2005, 03:16 PM
The bagels have been worth it. (Well, not really, lol)

2 sets to love up. 5-3 in the third set. 30-all.

2 hours later Hewitt is doing a Wiggles impersonation.

Ouch.
Guess Roger was already thinking of the good warm shower to come in a few minutes... too bad !! ;)

Yoda
02-02-2005, 03:17 PM
Right now Safin.

Hewiit defeat probably hurt the most cause he was 2 sets up and got out fought.

However in a few years time if he hasn't completed the Grand Slam then Kuerten.

MissMoJo
02-02-2005, 06:19 PM
Of course they all hurt on some level in different ways, but right now i'd say Safin 05 because it's fresh, he was sooo close to winning and it came on the heels of the GS hype. The final turned out to be against an opponent he almost definitely would have beaten, and added another GS title to his resume.

Nacho
02-02-2005, 07:18 PM
I'd say olympics

aceit
02-02-2005, 07:21 PM
I can only vote on the ones I've saw/read about so I'd say the 2004 Olympics. O think so because he mentioned how important it was to him and it's not something that comes around ever year.

Lalitha
02-02-2005, 09:05 PM

Good point :yeah:

TaTaaa
02-02-2005, 11:11 PM
if i was roger i would never forget the one againt Guga, because Guga wasnt at his best moment and roger lost...
but also the one against safin now, because he was defending the title, so...

Hagar
02-02-2005, 11:19 PM
if i was roger i would never forget the one againt Guga, because Guga wasnt at his best moment and roger lost...
but also the one against safin now, because he was defending the title, so...

I think that match showed Roger that to win Roland Garros, you have to be made of something special...
Look at how many years it took Agassi to take Roland Garros.
The guys who manage to win the other slams, have a hard time to add Roland Garros to the list. And the ones who win Roland Garros, don't win other slams for the moment. Think of Guga, Ferrero, Costa, Gaudio,...

What I do in any case want to say is that I think that Guga played an AWESOME match against Roger. Absolutely brilliant. The Guga from the great days. Wonderful. One of the best and most emotional matches of 2004 for me.

Jimena
02-02-2005, 11:34 PM
I think it was the Hewitt match, because IMO it was the match that made him the player he has been since the end of 2003. He's still setting the score with Hewitt and it seems to me he brings his game to a higher level when he plays him and is therefore able to bagel him quite often. He's not done with Hewitt, yet.

I wonder if the same thing is going to happen after the loss to Safin. I doubt it, 'cause Safin's game matches better to Federer's than Hewitt's does. But we'll see how Roger reacts.

howardean
02-02-2005, 11:38 PM
I wonder if the same thing is going to happen after the loss to Safin. I doubt it, 'cause Safin's game matches better to Federer's than Hewitt's does. But we'll see how Roger reacts.

i've been wondering the same thing. while the loss might spur roger to "bring it" more against marat, i don't think he'll be able to dominate him in the same way he can dominate hewitt. that said, this should make for some interesting matches between rogi and marat.

Prizeidiot
02-03-2005, 05:16 AM
I'd say Olympics.... it was his top priority.

A lot of people say DC... I'm not so sure... I mean, even if he had of won that, chances are that Switzerland would still have lost. The last rubber would've been Kratochvil against Phillipoussis, who was in form at the time. And even after that, Roger would have to have won both his singles and carried the doubles in the final. He probably knew it was a lost cause anyway.

Leena
02-03-2005, 05:22 AM
Many players say Olympics are their top priority... but, I don't think they really mean that.

The only reason I think RG is the worst one, is because that's the one slam he hasn't won. And the draw opened up pretty nicely for him after that.

federer_roar
02-03-2005, 05:37 AM
Olympics, as he has to wait for another 4 years to make up his lost.

TheMightyFed
02-03-2005, 05:54 AM
I'd say Olympics.... it was his top priority.

A lot of people say DC... I'm not so sure... I mean, even if he had of won that, chances are that Switzerland would still have lost. The last rubber would've been Kratochvil against Phillipoussis, who was in form at the time. And even after that, Roger would have to have won both his singles and carried the doubles in the final. He probably knew it was a lost cause anyway.
True, but for him this DC match was a tough loss, as mentioned before it was probably the start of his win hunger, especially against Hewitt, which means hunger to win important matches... :)

FanOfHewitt
02-03-2005, 06:20 AM
Though the DC most likely would have been in the bag with Philippoussis playing Kratochvil in the 5th rubber, Federer's loss to Hewitt must have hurt because he basically recieved a lesson in mental toughness.

For all the glorious stroke play, for all the flair and finesse Federer posessed, he was still lacking one key ingredient at the time, and Hewitt showed him that without that component, the rest of his game, as talented as it was, meant nothing. It must have been terribly humiliating for Federer to play so well, have his opponent on his knees and go on to still lose the match.

You even hear since that match that Federer started using the c'mon! shout after important points in his own matches. Hewitt got himself inside Federer's psyche like a superego.

But it's been Hewitt who has been paying for that match ever since.

Prizeidiot
02-03-2005, 06:44 AM
Hmm... well that sounds good. I guess that match probably taught him an intangible lesson, and probably pissed him off something severe. Well, he owns Lleyton now, so it's all good I guess.

BlackSilver
02-03-2005, 07:00 AM
Olympics, he said about the importance of this to him many times. I do not think that Federer wasn't being sincere. The draw was probably as easy as could be, and being eliminated last year, he probably lost his only big possibility to win the olympics

MariaV
02-03-2005, 07:10 AM
I voted for the Olympics. I don't think it was just talk, he REALLY wanted to win the gold for his country.
As for the DC - yeah, he got a good lesson from Hewitt and he learned it well so I think with all the bagles later he's got kinda over it in the sense that the Swiss didn't have a shot at the DC anyway and Hewitt keeps on paying for it.
In fact we don't know what's going on in Roger's mind.

TheMightyFed
02-03-2005, 07:13 AM
Olympics, he said about the importance of this to him many times. I do not think that Federer wasn't being sincere. The draw was probably as easy as could be, and being eliminated last year, he probably lost his only big possibility to win the olympics
I saw a few points of the match and I had the feeling he made many unforced errors and the serve was not consistent against Berdych... any possibility he tanked this one to prepare USO, as he didn't enjoy the conditions in Athens ?

BlackSilver
02-03-2005, 07:46 AM
I saw a few points of the match and I had the feeling he made many unforced errors and the serve was not consistent against Berdych... any possibility he tanked this one to prepare USO, as he didn't enjoy the conditions in Athens ?

Well, I can't say, I didn't see the match ( If I am not wrong, it wasn't transmitted here anyway)

Billy Moonshine
02-03-2005, 05:46 PM
The French Open, because Kuerten was not expected to come out and play so well and he really thrashed Roger, taught him a big lesson in Claycourt tennis. One which roger needs to remember the most if he wants to make history this year. That was one of my fav matches last year, the way Guga ripped Fed apart, especially after Fed had won Hamburg and thought he was the bees knees! And Guga's smile, wow, it was good to see it back! Would be great to see Guga fit this year and win again.

TheMightyFed
02-03-2005, 06:04 PM
The French Open, because Kuerten was not expected to come out and play so well and he really thrashed Roger, taught him a big lesson in Claycourt tennis. One which roger needs to remember the most if he wants to make history this year. That was one of my fav matches last year, the way Guga ripped Fed apart, especially after Fed had won Hamburg and thought he was the bees knees! And Guga's smile, wow, it was good to see it back! Would be great to see Guga fit this year and win again.
True, we'll know this year in RG if Roger has learned all the lessons from this one, I was impressed by Guga's ability to push Fed so hard... :worship:

Billy Moonshine
02-03-2005, 06:17 PM
Yes, it was such a brilliant display from the King of Clay, and so unexpected after all the injuries. Maybe Fed underestimated him a little....He won't do that again! Mdhubert, who is that in your avatar|?

Adman
02-03-2005, 07:05 PM
I think that he will remember his loss to Safin the most bccause that was the chance he had to win all 4 Grand Slams in 2005. Not any more!!

blosson
02-03-2005, 08:50 PM
Against Safin this year at AO. The loss was a complete shock to Federer and his fans, commentators, tennis critics and even non fans.

blosson
02-03-2005, 08:52 PM

Hell yeah, bring Guga back to the tennis world!

TheMightyFed
02-03-2005, 09:02 PM
Yes, it was such a brilliant display from the King of Clay, and so unexpected after all the injuries. Maybe Fed underestimated him a little....He won't do that again! Mdhubert, who is that in your avatar|?
ROGER FEDERER !!!!!!!

Billy Moonshine
02-04-2005, 09:10 PM
Aah, he looks so sweet! Has his nose got bigger since then? It's a nice pic of him. Normally I don't rate him, but now, hmmm

blosson
02-04-2005, 09:20 PM
he got a nose job since :)

MissMoJo
02-04-2005, 09:31 PM
he got a nose job since :)

to make it bigger? In mdhubert's av, he's a teen so i guess alot of his body parts were still growing

blosson
02-04-2005, 09:39 PM
Yep, just like some people get their breats enlarged.
I like his big nose :yeah:

MissMoJo
02-04-2005, 10:18 PM
I like his big nose :yeah:

So do i, except when he smiles and it blocks my view of his teeth.. :o

Bilbo
02-04-2005, 10:22 PM
The Davis Cup match

Horatio Caine
02-04-2005, 10:25 PM
Most probably the Olmypic Games - he will have to wait another 4 years for a crack at a medal and by then he will 27 and there will be new kids on the block who will snapping on his heels / might even have dethroned him. The two GS losses - he'llcry for a few hours then kick some ass afterwards. He has plenty more chances for another GS title. As for for the Davis Cup - yes it would have hurt but Switzerland did well in 2004 and I'm sure that vanquished some of his memories of Hewitt - plus, eveytime he thinks of Hewitt he can smile at the memory of giving him a red ass in the US Open final 2004. :)

tennis4you
02-05-2005, 01:06 AM
Seeing how Federer had match point against Safin and ended up losing and not retaining his AO title, which would of been cake against Hewitt) I would say the loss to Safin would of been the hardest to swallow.

tennischick
02-05-2005, 01:18 AM
you're as good as your last match. Roger knows that.

BlackSilver
02-05-2005, 04:25 AM
The two defeats in grand slams to Kuerten and Safin, only will be true memorable defeats from a career perspective, if he won't win Ao again and especially if he won't win RG. But there are lot of oportunities to do that.
In the Olympics of last year, he had ALL in his favour and lost the chance.
Next time he probably will not and probably will not be the great favorite.

CMON_LLEYTON
02-05-2005, 07:05 AM
Losing that davis cup tie from being 2 sets to love up and 5-3 up in the third only to lose in five. That woulda hurt. Especially considering Hewitt hasnt beated Federer since. Federer has learned a valueable lesson in this los and that is why he has become so solid and dominant since then.

Action Jackson
02-05-2005, 07:18 AM
any possibility he tanked this one to prepare USO, as he didn't enjoy the conditions in Athens ?

Only an absolute dickhead would tank the Olympics and it doesn't come around every 4 years and he lost in the bronze match in Sydney and got nothing in Athens.

TheMightyFed
02-05-2005, 07:21 AM
Only an absolute dickhead would tank the Olympics and it doesn't come around every 4 years and he lost in the bronze match in Sydney and got nothing in Athens.
I know,that's why I'm so surpised that his motivation and mental force didn't lead him to the finals at least. His level of play was so bad against a rookie...

Action Jackson
02-05-2005, 07:26 AM
I know,that's why I'm so surpised that his motivation and mental force didn't lead him to the finals at least. His level of play was so bad against a rookie...

Are you one of these people who believes he can't be beaten and it's an outrage when he does? Just cause he lost a match doesn't mean he wasn't motivated well look at the US Open later that answer shouldn't be doubted.

It's an early round loss it has happened before and it will happen again.

TheMightyFed
02-05-2005, 07:38 AM
Are you one of these people who believes he can't be beaten and it's an outrage when he does? Just cause he lost a match doesn't mean he wasn't motivated well look at the US Open later that answer shouldn't be doubted.

It's an early round loss it has happened before and it will happen again.
yeah but in great occasions on hard in 2004, it was very unlikely to happen... then we can say everything is possible in life and we close this board !!!

Action Jackson
02-05-2005, 07:42 AM
Whether it was likely or not is not the question, there are many things that should be closed on this board.

On that day he wasn't good enough to win and didn't.

Mrs. B
02-05-2005, 08:39 AM
the loss of Peter Carter will be the one that Roger will remember the most...:tears:

bad gambler
02-05-2005, 09:01 AM
well said mrs B

TheMightyFed
02-05-2005, 03:55 PM
the loss of Peter Carter will be the one that Roger will remember the most...:tears:
Very touching quote Mrs. B. I think he learned a lot on himself and on many things with this event, so early in his life. reminds a bit what Pete had to go through :sad:

PJVA
02-05-2005, 04:50 PM
I think Rogi is going to remember his 2005 Wimbly loss the most. I don't think he will defend his title this year!

TheMightyFed
02-05-2005, 06:12 PM
I think Rogi is going to remember his 2005 Wimbly loss the most. I don't think he will defend his title this year!
:lol: What about US Open 2010 finals, this one will be quite painful as well.... ;)

bad gambler
02-05-2005, 10:14 PM
let's be honest, tennis at the olympics is a joke and doubt the players really care...having said that federer's loss there was due to him being outplayed, not becuase he didn't care

his loss to hewitt would hurt as well but in fairness he had to back up from a tough five set doubles match the day before and once he was broken back in the 3rd set and subsequently lost the set i think fed knew that was it

loss that hurts most would have to be this year against safin. he came here with the weight of expectation as defending champion and with all the talk about winning the grand slam. after the match he looked gutted as well, more because he is not used to losing at the business end of a grand slam