A "Buzz" For Men's Tennis [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

A "Buzz" For Men's Tennis

Tennis Fool
02-02-2005, 08:11 AM
Okay, this may seem little but for Yahoo Buzz Index, it's pretty big.

:drumroll:

Marat Safin leapfrogged in front of Serena, Maria, and Anna to claim the number 7 spot on the Buzz sports index.

So, I guess a few more Americans now know who he is. :wavey:

(In front of him? Super Bowl, NBA, Australian Open, NASCAR, AFL, NFL)

BTW, AO made it all the way to #2.

Pea
02-02-2005, 08:19 AM
Proally because they showed Marat's girlfriend on Sportcenter or something.:o

robinhood
02-02-2005, 08:45 AM
Good for him! His talent aside, he should be vigorously marketed for his good looks alone for the popularity of the sport!

jmp
02-02-2005, 10:00 AM
:yippee: That's great, Tennis Fool! I read an article that said Americans (besides tennis nuts ;) ) were tuning in to the late night/early morning sessions of the 2005 Australian Open. It said that Americans were looking forward to match ups of non-American players and that they are familiar with key rivalries between specific mens' and womens' players! :eek: ESPN2 had originally planned 71-1/2 hours of coverage, but, ended up providing 110! :D

So, what do you think brought about this miracle of international interest from American viewers?

I think the stars aligned at the Australian Open. Americans associate Australia with the 2000 Olympics and the beautiful millennium New Year's celebration. It was the centenary tournament with the running headline of the local guy and gal having legitimate chances to take the crown and awesome matches for each of them along the way. Plus, you had these story lines being developed over the previous 24 months:

* Andy! Andy! Andy!
* Maria! Maria! Maria!
* Lindsay? Lindsay!
* Serena dethroned? No!
* Roger? Roger!! :eek:
* Rivalries?
* 2004 Olympic tennis
* young up and comers
* big, handsome, Russian dude with game - Marat!

I sure hope this ushers in a new and exciting era of the sport. :)

EDIT TO ADD: Great Marat-quotes, robinhood. :yeah:

robinhood
02-02-2005, 10:07 AM

Thank you, jmp. Marat is hilarious. I laughed my head off listening to his acceptance speech at AO. :D

PaulieM
02-02-2005, 02:07 PM
[QUOTE=jmp]
So, what do you think brought about this miracle of international interest from American viewers?
[QUOTE]

unfortunetly, for a lot of people i think it has a lot to do with a certain blond 17 year old from russia. apparently her match against serena was the most watched tennis related airtime ever on espn2.

jasmine(usa)
02-02-2005, 02:30 PM
I would have to say that yeah Maria is bringing a lot of people from here in the U.S. to watching her on t.v., but Andy Roddick is becoming bigger here due to his high profile romance with Mandy Moore last year.Besides he's a very good looking American tennis player. He even hosted Saturday Night Live.Something no other tennis player has ever done here in America.We also like Safin here. I know I do.Congrats big boy.This is in response to jpm about more Americans interest in tennis.

Chloe le Bopper
02-02-2005, 02:58 PM
[QUOTE=jmp]
[QUOTE]

unfortunetly, for a lot of people i think it has a lot to do with a certain blond 17 year old from russia. apparently her match against serena was the most watched tennis related airtime ever on espn2.
I read that the final was the most watched ESPN2 tennis broadcast ever :confused:

Rogiman
02-02-2005, 03:00 PM
[QUOTE=PaulieM][QUOTE=jmp]

I read that the final was the most watched ESPN2 tennis broadcast ever :confused:

:wavey:

Leena
02-02-2005, 03:00 PM
I hate casual tennis fans.

buzzy
02-02-2005, 03:13 PM
Well, most diehard fans started out as casual fans till something (or someone) special gets them hooked. So, lets hope that this is all a great beginning for a lot of strong, longterm interest in the sport. :clap2:

Bibir
02-02-2005, 04:05 PM
I agree...Marat should be marketed.

The new face of Gillette?...No...L'Oreal...because he's worth it! ;) ;)

Seriously, great news for the sport. :)

PaulieM
02-02-2005, 04:09 PM
[QUOTE=PaulieM][QUOTE=jmp]

well the article i read was from like 2 days ago, but i just read another one that says the women's final was, so i guess even more people tuned in for the final.

maratski
02-02-2005, 04:10 PM
I agree...Marat should be marketed.

The new face of Gillette?...No...L'Oreal...because he's worth it! ;) ;)

Seriously, great news for the sport. :)

He never shaves so forget about Gillette! :woohoo: ;)

L'Oréal :cool:
He might try the blonde hair again. :o

Bibir
02-02-2005, 04:39 PM
He never shaves so forget about Gillette! :woohoo: ;)
I'm sure he'll shave if we tell him that men have an increase in facial hair when they use Gillette. :p

L'Oréal :cool:
He might try the blonde hair again. :o
:scared:

L'Oreal Kids for curly hair. ;)

smucav
02-02-2005, 04:49 PM
Oz Open Women's Final Was Most Viewed Match In ESPN2 History (http://www.sportsmediainc.com/tennisweek/index.cfm?func=showarticle&newsid=12356&bannerregion=)

tangerine_dream
02-02-2005, 05:02 PM
I thought Marat already had "buzz" in the US when he beat Sampras at USO in 2000? :confused:

jcadam2003
02-02-2005, 06:08 PM
I would have to say that yeah Maria is bringing a lot of people from here in the U.S. to watching her on t.v., but Andy Roddick is becoming bigger here due to his high profile romance with Mandy Moore last year.Besides he's a very good looking American tennis player. He even hosted Saturday Night Live.Something no other tennis player has ever done here in America.We also like Safin here. I know I do.Congrats big boy.This is in response to jpm about more Americans interest in tennis.

NOT TRUE. Chris Evert was the Hostess of Saturday Night Live in October 1989.......

vene
02-02-2005, 06:21 PM
:
* Andy! Andy! Andy!
* Maria! Maria! Maria!
* Lindsay? Lindsay!
* Serena dethroned? No!
* Roger? Roger!! :eek:
* Rivalries?
* 2004 Olympic tennis
* young up and comers
* big, handsome, Russian dude with game - Marat!

I sure hope this ushers in a new and exciting era of the sport. :)

I think the story lines certainly helped. After the Federer-Safin match, both Safin and Federer made the top movers list in sport (#3 and #5, or something like that), so that match certainly helped.

smucav
02-02-2005, 06:37 PM
I thought Marat already had "buzz" in the US when he beat Sampras at USO in 2000? :confused:
He was in People magazine right after that.

_pyromatic
02-02-2005, 08:32 PM

But that was 5 years ago and Americans have a very short attention span ;)

tangerine_dream
02-02-2005, 10:07 PM

He was also on the David Letterman show too, wasn't he?

Here's some more info I found, this one about the AO site's traffic:

ZDNet Australia
01 February 2005

Almost 3 million unique users logged on to the Australian Open's official Web site to track the progress of players in the year's first Grand Slam, tournament tech supplier IBM said.

Big Blue said in a statement the figure of 2.94 million represented a 66 percent increase in the 2004 tournament total of 1.8 million. The Web site attracted 17 million visits in total, up 56 percent on the previous year, while visitors viewed 105 million pages, 30 percent more than during last year's tournament.

The company said more than 106,000 real-time scoreboards were viewed concurrently during the Friday night semi-final between eventual runner-up Lleyton Hewitt and Andy Roddick, a massive increase on the previous record of 26,000 set during the Andre Agassi-Marat Safin semi-final in 2004.

The Australian Open is one of IBM's premium regional technology showcases of the year.

smucav
02-02-2005, 10:25 PM
He was also on the David Letterman show too, wasn't he?
After winning the 2000 U.S. Open, Safin's Monday in NYC included CNN Live, an MSNBC program, a photo session at the Russian Tea Room, and the Late Show with David Letterman. Compare that to the lack of media attention other recent non-American U.S. Open winners Kuznetsova, Henin, & Hewitt received.

If he had consistently stayed near the top of the rankings in the four plus years since, I'm sure that Safin, with his charisma, would have gotten his due share of attention in the U.S. a la Patrick Rafter.

Jessi
02-02-2005, 11:03 PM
Marat also appeared on the Charlie Rose show in 2000.

tennischick
02-03-2005, 03:51 AM
Oz Open Women's Final Was Most Viewed Match In ESPN2 History (http://www.sportsmediainc.com/tennisweek/index.cfm?func=showarticle&newsid=12356&bannerregion=)
everybody who is anybody wanted to see if Serena still had the goods. and other than a bit of anxiety in the first set, she did.