"We're going to learn a lot about Juan Carlos Ferrero in the next 20 minutes" [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

"We're going to learn a lot about Juan Carlos Ferrero in the next 20 minutes"

TennisHack
10-31-2002, 12:44 AM
Well, I just can't contain my excitement anymore. I have just seen the last hour of the Hewitt-Ferrero match that decided the 2000 Davis Cup and I had to tell you guys about it!!

First of all, if you haven't seen or don't have this match on tape, GET IT. It's a classic, and I haven't even seen the whole thing!

Of course, I'll skip ahead to the goods stuff--the last game. It was Hewitt serving after breaking back when Juanqui served for the match. Juan Carlos held two match points in the game: the first one he overhit and the second one, he dumped his best forehand shot straight into the net :eek:

A double fault by Hewitt gave Juan Carlos a third match point. After a long rally, his backhand crosscourt goes just wide and he sinks to his knees in despair. I think he might have actually cried out, too, berating himself.

A killer forehand crosscourt return gives Juan Carlos his fourth match point. It was just spot on the line and there was nothing Hewitt could do about it. So he serves. He didn't get a first serve in for the entire game, and again, had to serve a second serve.

The rally is long and intense, and it looks like Hewitt has Juan Carlos--Hewitt's storming into court and Juan Carlos just has to sort of throw out a shot--so he sticks his racquet out for a backhand and Hewitt watches it go sailing by because he thought for sure Juanqui would go for the safer cross-court shot!!

AND SPAIN WINS THE DAVIS CUP!

Juan Carlos falls to the ground, immediately in tears. The DC coach runs over and lands on top of him, and his fellow teammates join the pile.

Hewitt walks off court without the customary handshake :rolleyes:

Juan Carlos, now standing, is being passed around for hugs and kisses among the team. The coaches and support team for the Davis Cup team are hugging and cheering themselves as Alex Corretja lifts Juanqui onto his shoulders and takes him to the other side of the court to meet King Juan Carlos.

It's an even cuter moment that the picure Mrs. B supplied. :hearts: King Juan Carlos was sooooo cute during the match, when Juan Carlos broke Hewitt the first time he jumped up and clapped a like schoolboy :D

Juan Carlos is let down and he goes to his family, where his sisters immediately clench him and his father, also in tears, gives him a big kiss. Even his grandmother comes down to give him a hug! :angel:

The whole stadium was chanting "Fer-rer-o!" and some people were dancing a little and everyone was clapping--except for the whole contingent of Australian fans, but that's okay :D

I didn't expect to feel such a burst of emotion when I watched this match, since I knew the outcome and even knew the shot he would win it on. But there was still this gasp and sigh of relief, and squeal of happiness when he won!! It's totally the reason that he's my favorite player and it completely lifted my day.

Hewitt had 94 unforced errors to Juan Carlos's ~67 :eek::eek: He was also in full asshole mode, arguing with every line call that went against him--or even for him, when he got a chance to replay the point he still went off on the chair umpire.

Kim was there to watch her boyfriend and she looked really nice. She was really stoic in the few shots I saw of her. I'm guessing she served as an emotional anchor for him back then because he was not completely in control.

The name of this thread is a quote from the commentator when Hewitt held break points on the fourth-to-last game (3-all) of the fourth set. Juan Carlos was getting a bit frustrated with himself, but a little glance to his coach was enough to get him to calm down and hold serve. It was a very important hold because Hewitt's serve took a serious nosedive from there.

Ugh, now I feel like I'm babbling. I don't know when I'll get to see the whole match (3:46 long!) but if you have any questions about the last game of the third set on, I'll be happy to answer them :)

YAAAAAAAAAY! :bounce::bounce::bounce:

Vera
10-31-2002, 01:43 AM
Thanks for the description. You just make me want to change my plan for major acquisition. I was holding off purchase but I don't think I can resist this anymore. Hey, did you get it from tennistape.com or else? Bcos, it seems different outlet has different source of tape, I wonder what's the difference and who's better. Oh, I just assume you bought your tape online?

Layla
10-31-2002, 02:01 AM
Awwwwwww! :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: That was a beautiful description TH, it really lifted me up. :) He burst into tears after his winning shot? How sweet! I can just picture all this in my mind. ;)

Errr, how was Lleyton suppose to shake his hand when he was buried under a heap of bodies? ;) Just playing the devil's advocate here. :p

Vera
10-31-2002, 02:10 AM
Not related to the tape...but there seems to be a little controversy regarding that handshake. The Australian team said the Spanish piled up on Ferrero and not letting him to shake hand first is unsportsmanlike. The Spanish team thinks Lleyton didn't really attempt to shake hand in the first place is unsportsmanlike. Obviously, the 2 teams were in the heat of the time. Juanqui said he did shake Lleyton's hand at the locker room later. And of course, all these are from all the articles that I read about that DC match that year.

TennisHack
10-31-2002, 02:11 AM
Originally posted by Vera
Thanks for the description. You just make me want to change my plan for major acquisition. I was holding off purchase but I don't think I can resist this anymore. Hey, did you get it from tennistape.com or else? Bcos, it seems different outlet has different source of tape, I wonder what's the difference and who's better. Oh, I just assume you bought your tape online?

Vera, I bought it from Sports Resources, this place in England. The match was from Sport 7 in Australia, and that made it even sweeter because of course the commentators were lauding their boy and even until Juanqui held match points did they think Hewitt could win the match. I think it costs ~$40 Canadian dollars, but I'm not sure.

I think the member "tennisvideos" on this board runs the place, so if you do a search on him/her you'll get their website.

TennisHack
10-31-2002, 02:15 AM
Not related to the tape...but there seems to be a little controversy regarding that handshake. The Australian team said the Spanish piled up on Ferrero and not letting him to shake hand first is unsportsmanlike. The Spanish team thinks Lleyton didn't really attempt to shake hand in the first place is unsportsmanlike. Obviously, the 2 teams were in the heat of the time.

Well, I saw the tape myself (hehe, I love that I can say that!) And it pretty much happened like this: Juan Carlos fell immediately to the ground, the DC coach ran over and fell on him, hugging him, and the rest of the group came over. By the time the cameras cut away from that action (which they replayed several times in slow-mo) Hewitt was pushing his way off court. So I think he just left, humiliated. He really was being a hotheaded jerk during the little part of the match that I saw.

TennisHack
10-31-2002, 02:16 AM
Originally posted by Layla
He burst into tears after his winning shot? How sweet! I can just picture all this in my mind. ;)

He is so emotional! He also looked like he was about to cry when he broke Hewitt the first time and had his chance to serve for the match. He managed to keep his emotions in check, though ;)

Vera
10-31-2002, 02:16 AM
Thanks for the info. Ya, I inquired about the price awhile ago, it's about $45 canadian buck per and discount if I get 3. So I'm getting 3. God, I'm dying to watch RG this year, that is "Juanqui dismantling Baldy" match.

TennisHack
10-31-2002, 02:18 AM
Thanks for the info. Ya, I inquired about the price awhile ago, it's about $45 canadian buck per and discount if I get 3. So I'm getting 3. God, I'm dying to watch RG this year, that is "Juanqui dismantling Baldy" match.

That's also a quality match, one I plan on watching when I get back home. It's so great, not only because PMac was saying he couldn't win, but because he DID win after Agassi tried to return serve from the service line!!

Vera
10-31-2002, 02:24 AM
Hehehe, I envy that you got to see it....Well, I think I'm making this my X'mas present. One should definitely allowed to indulge herself with high quality tennis in the festive season. :D

TennisHack
10-31-2002, 02:28 AM
One should definitely allowed to indulge herself with high quality tennis in the festive season. :D

Especially if you haven't seen tennis in over a month. :drool:

Vera
10-31-2002, 02:37 AM
Of course, high quality tennis like Juanqui spanking Baldy in a Grand Slam QF really don't come very often, I mean, that's not enough Grand Slam around to allow such spanking.:D :p :D

I'm glad that Baldy actually win all the Slams, he just can't blame it on the dirt now, can he.

Speaking of tennis on TV, do you know what's the ESPN schedule for TMC?

TennisHack
10-31-2002, 02:42 AM
Speaking of tennis on TV, do you know what's the ESPN schedule for TMC?

Yes, I do:

Tennis Masters Cup
November 12 (Tues) ESPN2 6 to 8 am EST

November 13 (Wed) ESPN2 6 to 8 am EST ESPN 1 to 3 pm EST

November 14 (Thurs) ESPN2 6 to 8 am EST ESPN 1 to 3 pm EST

November 15 (Fri) ESPN2 6 to 8 am EST ESPN 1 to 3 pm EST

November 16 (Sat) ESPN2 2 am to 4 am EST & 3:30 to 5:30 pm EST

November 17 (Sun) ESPN2 2 to 4:30 am

Leo7
10-31-2002, 03:16 AM
wow, great review, Hackie. i was just actually looking on some tennis tape sites and i found that DC match at www.users.bigpond.com/tennisvideos1/

hope its the complete match and the commentary is in english. i also wanted to purchase his Toronto QF from 2001 against Pat Rafter, his DC match against Pat from 2000, the Agassi match from RG, and a 5-set match from Wimby i found. :) but of course i'm flat broke. :p

TennisHack
10-31-2002, 03:26 AM
Leo, that's the site I used!! It's wonderful :)

You can request that the commentaries be in English or another language. Like I said, the DC match was from Australian TV. They have great coverage down there (at least when they are the defending champions of the Cup :o:o)

I think I'd really like to see the Jarkko-Juan Carlos match from TMS Madrid, and one of the old Borg-McEnroe matches.

TennisHack
10-31-2002, 03:29 AM
Forgot to add: Unfortunately, the ceremony was not on the tape :( but all of the celebrations (after the match) were. And maybe there was a big lead-in, I don't know.

When I see the whole thing I'll give you guys a play-by-play. ;)

RogiFan
10-31-2002, 03:32 AM
:D Hackie!

Wonderful blow-by-blow account of that historical DC final!! I wanted to have that match too! I've been holding off buying these tapes since they're so expensive and I want to be assured of good quality, etc. So you'd recommend tennistapes then? I think I remember listening to the end of that match on some Spanish radio on the net and being really excited and wishing I was there!! Must have been incredible! [and just having been to Barcelona and seen the actual Palau Sant Jordi where the whole thing took place makes it even more special]

Yeah, that RG QF defeating AA is a classic too! How many New Balls have beaten the Baldy one lately???? Haas totally crapped at Roma and my dear Rogi managed to get a set but that was it! As for Andy Pandy -- he's pretty useless at beating AA. No, only Hewitt and Ferrero have done the deed -- and I congratulate them both!!

I would love to see Juanqui w his family too!! Corretja was pretty proud of Juanqui. You know, I think when Juanqui was born and his parents named him, he was bound to be famous!!! ;)

Thanks Hackie!!

Hi Vera!

TennisHack
10-31-2002, 03:40 AM
Originally posted by RogiFan
I would love to see Juanqui w his family too!! Corretja was pretty proud of Juanqui. You know, I think when Juanqui was born and his parents named him, he was bound to be famous!!! ;)

Thanks Hackie!!

I would recommend www.users.bigpond.com/tennisvideos1/ They are a great site. Here's a list of their 2002 matches (http://www.users.bigpond.com/tennisvideos1/TENNIS%20VIDEOS%202002%20Web.htm). I'm thinking that Monte Carlo final should go on my wish list, too :D

LOL, I think Alex wanted to hoist him onto his shoulders more than Juan Carlos wanted to be hoisted. He looked a bit embarrassed, but so overwhelmed with emotion! He was such a beautiful 20-year-old :sigh: He looked really skinny, though. He's filled out quite nicely. :lick:

RogiFan
10-31-2002, 03:43 AM
;) thanks Hackie!! is Micha back from Paris yet?? has Mrs. B. seen him?? juanqui is shy and alex is quite outgoing -- he often makes juanqui do things!!

TennisHack
10-31-2002, 03:50 AM
Originally posted by RogiFan
;) thanks Hackie!! is Micha back from Paris yet?? has Mrs. B. seen him?? juanqui is shy and alex is quite outgoing -- he often makes juanqui do things!!

Mm, I just saw some of Michel's matches on the tennis tapes site . . . I'm tempted! :o

No, last I heard he was still in Paris, enjoying the sites and such (only because I'm not there to distract him, hahaha)

Mrs. B
10-31-2002, 08:11 AM
i remember watching this match, it was a gritty duel till the end, you have to give credit to both guys, even if Lleyton wasn't so likable then, they slugged it out point for point. In the end, Spain embraced Juanqui for being the true hero of this epic, (lol @ the other players piling on top of him) even the King bowed to him, happily... ;)

Leo7
10-31-2002, 11:40 AM
thanks for the pic, Mrs.B. he looks so happy. :)

so Hackie, was the complete match on the tape you bought from that site? if so, i'm definitely buying it. how much did it cost in us dollars?

jcluvva
10-31-2002, 07:11 PM
I was fortunate enough to see the DC final live on TV and it was such a fabulous match I can still remember it now.

I also think Juanqui's best match this year was against baldy in the RG quarter final. :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Leo7
10-31-2002, 09:26 PM
i would also love to own the Arthurs vs. Ferrero match from the USO on tape. i saw it live and it was an incredible match. :D

Vera
10-31-2002, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by Leo7
i would also love to own the Arthurs vs. Ferrero match from the USO on tape. i saw it live and it was an incredible match. :D

Oh, I had that 20 mins of footage on tape, the 2 TB, he played beautifully.

TennisHack
10-31-2002, 10:15 PM

They are selling that tape at Sports Resources, and it looks like the whole match! It's also on my to-get list (which gets longer by the minute, LOL).

Leo7
10-31-2002, 10:29 PM
lol. yeh, i have a pretty long to-get list also. of course i want tons of Lindsay and Pat matches, along with all the Juanqui classics i have to order! arg, too many great matches, not enough money!lol!

Chloe le Bopper
11-01-2002, 01:15 AM
I'm a narc - I wouldn't mind the Arthurs-Ferrero match, just so that I could find myself ;)

Leo7
11-01-2002, 01:57 AM
yeah, that would be cool to see myself on tape. doubtul though. ;)

Chloe le Bopper
11-07-2002, 01:09 PM
I got this match as well :D

And I just watched the last set - and oh his reaction was wonderful - he cried - it was beautiful!

Reactions are my favourite part - the more emotional the better.

Though I must say, Hewitt and Ferrero have both gotten a LOT better since then, heh ;)

Chloe le Bopper
11-07-2002, 01:10 PM
Okay and on a totally shallow note - he looked MUCH better in 2000, with a less freaky hair colour ;)

TennisHack
12-22-2002, 03:10 AM
*bump*

Yes, there is a reason I did that ;)

TennisHack
12-24-2002, 03:58 AM
LOL, I almost forgot about this!!

Anyway, I finally watched the DC 2000 match all the way through, and what a match it is!! :bounce: I took some notes as I watched, some things I thought you all would enjoy. I typed it all out before but the board ate it :mad: Anyway, here we go!

Before the match, apparently John Newcombe (Australian captain) had complained about the noise and the crowd during the doubles match. Apparently it was really bad, the Spanish crowd booing and jeering the Aussie doubles team. Mwaha :D

Everyone believes this match will be the easy one and the pressure will fall on Rafter's shoulders to bring home the cup.

One of the commentators said before the match began, "I think Ferrero has more talent than Hewitt; Hewitt is a more solid competitor." :eek: I couldn't believe an Australian commentator putting down the golden boy!!

=======================
Set 1: 35 minutes

Hewitt successfully serves & volleys on clay (re: story ;))

BEST POINT OF THE SET: 3-2, 30-all point. It proves to be the turning point, as Ferrero breaks Hewitt for the second time. Hewitt can't get over the loss and nosedives the rest of the set -- that's the difference between Hewitt then and Hewitt now; now he gets over a break and frustration relatively quickly. This is also the point where the King started really getting into the match, pointing out to the Queen what happened, what Hewitt should have done, etc etc :)

Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario was in attendance, new husband in tow. She was shown several times :)

=======================
Set 2: 79 minutes

First "Fer-re-ro" chant of the match to help him win his first serve game of the second set.

Juanqui brings out the big guns in the 2-1 game and wins it only having to rally for the first point -- the others were serves that Hewitt couldn't return :D

Hewitt gets intimidated and tries to take it to Ferrero without success -- commentators blame his mysterious virus (of course :rolleyes: )

Funny commentator quote: "He (Hewitt) sometimes refers to himself as 'Rock'." (because he listens to the Rocky soundtrack before some matches)

"Fer-re-ro" chant again carries Juanqui to hold his serve and get into the tiebreak.

There are lots of shots of Mr. Ferrero & Juanqui's sister Anna. Esther is behind Anna, but gets no shots of just her (as opposed to Kimmy, of whom there are no less than 5 shots, either with the Hewitt camp or by herself). You really have to look to find Esther.

Hewitt plays cleanly, but tightly in the tiebreak, trying to end points too quickly. He loses it 7-5.

TennisHack
12-24-2002, 04:05 AM
=======================
Set 3: 49 minutes

Juan Carlos changes his shirt to the crowd (and gets some catcalls ;))

He serves and volleys, showing he can hit volleys with the best of them :)

Juan Carlos looks a bit defeated and a bit tired in Hewitt's first serve game -- and breaks a string on the last point. He doesn't move for many balls, making the commentators speculate that he's still tired from the tiebreak.

I also noticed that Ferrero & Javier are much closer than Hewitt & Newcombe. Javier is practically in Juanqui's lap while Hewitt has moved so far away from Newcombe that John is practically falling out of his chair to coach.

That doesn't stop Newcombe and Hewitt from complaining about the very partisan Spanish crowd AGAIN :rolleyes:

=======================
Set 4: 52 minutes

Javier has many many words of encouragement for Juanqui before the 4th set :)

Funny commentators quotes:
"To those Australians watching back at home, it's not time to go to bed, it's time to have a nice, fresh cup of tea. We're just getting warmed up!"

"Juan Balcells had more television time this week than Julio Iglesias." :D

"Sounds more like the running of the bulls in Pamplona, doesn't it?" ;)

Juanqui breaks a string, but hits a winner :eek: to go up break point

Hewitt loses it all at 2-all on a close but good call. He then goes on to argue all the close calls after that, whether they go in favor of him or not!!

BEST POINT OF THE SET: 30-0, 3-all

The title quote of this thread comes at deuce, 3-all, after fighting off break points

"the dreaded Mexican wave" starts after Juanqui holds for 4-3, but it's stopped before it reaches the King :D

"Fer-re-ro" chant begins on the second match point

The King is on the edge of his seat when Hewitt double faults to give Ferrero his third match point :bounce:

The rest in in my first post of the thread ;) I did want to add that Esther got in her kiss when Juanqui went to his family's box, but she was crushed under the crowd that came to congratulate him :o

Last funny quote: "They'll make him [Ferrero] next in line for succession to the throne!"

Leo7
12-24-2002, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by TennisHack
One of the commentators said before the match began, "I think Ferrero has more talent than Hewitt; Hewitt is a more solid competitor." :eek: I couldn't believe an Australian commentator putting down the golden boy!!

very smart commentator ;)

Leo7
12-24-2002, 03:43 PM
Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario was in attendance, new husband in tow. She was shown several times :)

oh how sweet of Arantxa to cheer on her country's Davis Cup team :)

Leo7
12-24-2002, 03:48 PM
The rest in in my first post of the thread ;) I did want to add that Esther got in her kiss when Juanqui went to his family's box, but she was crushed under the crowd that came to congratulate him :o

oh the poor girl :eek: :o

i can't wait to get this match! :bounce:

RogiFan
12-24-2002, 04:38 PM

oh how sweet of Arantxa to cheer on her country's Davis Cup team :)

It is! :angel: If there was ever a player who was proud to represent and win for her country, it's Arantxa! I shall miss her dearly! She truly played for her fans too! (Too bad that dumb ex of hers let her down -- she could have retired happy when she was still winning tournaments -- oh well, she and Robredo won the Hopman Cup -- the only country to win it more than once -- and she was in the team who won it the 1st time, por supuesto!) ;)

Yes, I want that match too!!! Sounds so exciting!

RogiFan
12-24-2002, 07:13 PM
:) Weather report! http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/flags/spain.gif

It's 21 high and 15 low with sun and cloud in the land of Juanqui.

http://www.stopstart.freeserve.co.uk/smilie/flower.gif

;)

RogiFan
12-28-2002, 06:00 PM
:) Hola, fans de Juanqui!

You probably already know that at Juanqui's tennis school, there are 5 clay courts, 4 hard courts and 1 grass court but they're expanding to include an indoor court as well -- Dura flexipave. His academy also has some link with U of Nebraska.

;)

Oh yes, and it's sunny, 16 high 14 low in the land of Juanqui!! http://www.stopstart.freeserve.co.uk/smilie/cfs_flower.gif http://www.stopstart.freeserve.co.uk/smilie/bug.gif

liS@
12-28-2002, 10:36 PM
hey hackie!! thanx for the play-by-play...is this ur own recorded tape or did u purchase it??...:)

TennisHack
01-24-2003, 09:53 PM
*bump* for RF ;)

Chloe le Bopper
01-25-2003, 10:41 PM
Reading this makes me want to watch it all over again :sad:

But I seem to have misplaced it..... ;)

Kiara
09-13-2003, 02:49 PM
tennis hack, what is Sports Resources? is it a shop?

Chloe le Bopper
09-13-2003, 11:23 PM
tennis hack, what is Sports Resources? is it a shop?
I don't think she checks this forum ver much anymore, but I'll ask her for you just in case ... i'm fairly certain that it's a website. I don't know the URL offhand, but can find out.

Vera
09-14-2003, 04:58 AM
Sports Resources is this UK store:
http://www.users.bigpond.com/tennisvideos1/
I think that's where Hackie got the tape from. There's only 2 places to get tapes methink, this and tennistapes.com. The Italian place (VideoArc) got shut down.

Kiara
09-14-2003, 07:15 PM
vera thanks alot- do u know where it is???

Doris Loeffel
09-16-2003, 11:39 AM
All right I haven't read everything in here. But just thought that you might as well learn ;) that JCF as come up as a thankfull question in a few (german) quiz shows latel - like yesterday in the who wants to be a millinaire

q) Who has just reasently won the FO and reached the final of the USO?

a) Nestlé b) Suchard c) Ferrero d) Linth

Just for thouse not familiar with the names these are all pretty well known chocolate brands around here.

To bad it wasn't the one million question I would have one it ;)

Vera
09-16-2003, 06:09 PM
LOL. Thanks Doris for the story. So did that person got the answer right?

I once heard some media made a joke too, although it wasn't extrememly funny and I can't remember who: Rumor said Juan Carlos and Olivier are going to play double. But the pair denies that and shatters the hope of a dream double combination of Ferrero-Rochus.
(and for those not too crazy about chocolate, Ferrero-Rocher is the complete name of the brand, well close enough).

Vera
09-16-2003, 06:10 PM
vera thanks alot- do u know where it is???

Sorry Carrot, I have no idea. You can email them to ask.