Does anyone miss reading Mal Whashington's tennis analysis? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Does anyone miss reading Mal Whashington's tennis analysis?

Vass
01-31-2005, 07:22 PM
After his musings have become premium there weren't too many funny predictions. I miss him.

Tennis Fool
02-01-2005, 06:08 AM
Too bad ESPN got greedy :mad:

Hey, George, why don't you go pay a subscription for us MTFers ;)

Action Jackson
02-01-2005, 08:34 AM
Too bad ESPN got greedy :mad:

Hey, George, why don't you go pay a subscription for us MTFers ;)

Not even for you TF. :p

tennischick
02-02-2005, 03:04 AM
did anyone ever buy them?

loret
02-02-2005, 04:01 AM
Mal is so negative when he's on air...it's as if he opts to highlight and reiterate a player's weaknesses as opposed to their qualities as the match goes on. :rolleyes:

Leena
02-02-2005, 04:04 AM
I liked Mal. I miss him.

robinhood
02-02-2005, 07:31 AM
I think the tennis in US could use as many analysis as it can afford, be it from Mal or PMac or whoever wants to write.
ESPN did a good job of covering AO this time, but they didn't have much to offer on their website, which was disappointing.

Coleburg83
02-02-2005, 07:39 AM
Nope, but I'm sure James Blake will be in his seat before long, if possible with a less impressive resume than Mal's.

They need to get Connors to do some commentary.

Pea
02-02-2005, 07:41 AM
Don't all of you post at once now!:p

sigmagirl91
02-02-2005, 12:15 PM
Do I miss Mal's commentary? Hell no.

onewoman74
02-02-2005, 08:27 PM
NNNNOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

jmp
02-02-2005, 08:43 PM
I miss laughing at his awful predictions in his written commentary and his hate on for Marat. It was low key enough to be slightly humorous.

When they let him do more on air than talk about the temperature court side, he was pretty good.

So long, Mal. :wavey: I wish you all the best. :)

James might be a mistake or he could be a Mary C. with a limited tennis career, but, a nice, long, commentator career. Hmmm...

tennisphan
02-02-2005, 09:24 PM
I just think he is jelous and has a chip on his shoulder.

it wouldnt hurt him to be positive every once in a while...

MissMoJo
02-02-2005, 11:44 PM
When they let him do more on air than talk about the temperature court side, he was pretty good.

I always found that strange: "Cliff it's really hot out here, Andy's shirt is really sweaty, back to you...". I guess they didn't trust him to talk anything else at the time.
It took this thread for me to realize he wasn't at the AO, so i guess i don't miss him.

jmp
02-03-2005, 02:17 AM
MissMoJo, maybe he just didn't have the initiative or personality to make the court side coverage more interesting. Pam and Brad provided court side analysis at the AO and they did much more. Miss Socialite Pam went walk about and talked to ex-pros, tennis coaches, and NBA coach Phil Jackson in addition to describing court conditions. Brad talked about what he saw up close from the players and what they could do to improve their performance in a particular match.

PaulieM
02-03-2005, 03:16 AM
he was always my least favorite, way too boring

tennischick
02-03-2005, 03:20 AM
boring and unassertive. the world of the media is too cutthroat for such a mild-mannered person.

Tennis Fool
02-03-2005, 04:59 AM
Does anybody know if Phil Jackson plays (ed) tennis, or if he was just attending the tournament?

tennischick
02-03-2005, 05:15 AM
he used to play when he was younger he said. i can't remember if he said that he still plays. that was a nice plug for tennis IMO altho' i know it irritated most viewers.

jmp
02-03-2005, 05:17 AM
He didn't say. I got the impression that he didn't play, but, that he knew and liked the American players like AA and the Bryans especially. He made a comment on air at the main booth sitting between Chris and Brad that Andy needed to work on his mental game right after Andy played Kohlscriber (sp), I think. He was interviewed by Pam in the stands when AA played JJ and he praised AA's mental strength.

MissMoJo
02-03-2005, 05:19 AM
I think he does or did, i remember him saying that he played righthanded, then Fowler asked him how come since he's a lefty.

jmp
02-03-2005, 05:21 AM
Thanks tennischick and MissMoJo. :) :) I didn't catch that!

tennischick
02-03-2005, 05:22 AM
jmp: that's bec you were probably one of the irritated viewers that wanted them to get back to the tennis dammit! :p

jmp
02-03-2005, 05:27 AM
:lol: Probably! You know I only half listen to those interviews. That's why I missed Chris working so hard to get Brad a coaching job with Serena. I cracked up when you told me. :haha:

kabuki
02-03-2005, 05:27 AM
Mal is a hater IMO.

tennischick
02-03-2005, 05:28 AM
:lol: and the AO has come and gone and Brad is grayer and still unemployed :haha:

i wonder if he and the Duck are secretly longing to kiss and make up ;)

MissMoJo
02-03-2005, 05:32 AM
I stopped listening after that. I remember listening up to that point to find out what connection he could possibly have to tennis that would warrant him getting an in studio interview.

jmp
02-03-2005, 05:39 AM
Originally posted by MissMoJo
I stopped listening after that. I remember listening up to that point to find out what connection he could possibly have to tennis that would warrant him getting an in studio interview.
MissMoJo, he's Big Phil!! :D I like the guy a LOT. I can't name five NBA coaches. But, you're absolutely correct about the loose connection.

Originally posted by tennischick
i wonder if he and the Duck are secretly longing to kiss and make up ;)
I was thinking the same thing. But, I think Brad's big mouth burned that bridge, USC style! :rolls:

MissMoJo
02-03-2005, 05:54 AM
MissMoJo, he's Big Phil!! :D I like the guy a LOT. I can't name five NBA coaches. But, you're absolutely correct about the loose connection.

This is true. But I was especially annoyed because they'd neglected to interview Lindsay after her match. Speaking of which, later on in their coverage instead of showing Lindsay's on court interview after the Molik match and /or showing the Australia Day ceremony so i could get a look at Pat Rafter, they interview Bud Collins. He proceeded to rant about when tournament courts didn't have roofs blah blah blah :yawn: :(

jmp
02-03-2005, 05:58 AM
Some of their production choices are truly baffling. :confused: I must have the giggles because when you typed "blah blah blah" I lost it again! :haha:

tennischick
02-03-2005, 05:58 AM
poor Lindsay always gets overlooked. it's a sad fact.

Tennis Fool
02-03-2005, 06:14 AM
Some of their production choices are truly baffling. :confused: I must have the giggles because when you typed "blah blah blah" I lost it again! :haha:
JMP: I've noticed your in a talkative mood this week. Must be love :p

jmp
02-03-2005, 06:18 AM
Yeah, Tennis Fool, it's kind of uncharacteristic. I better cut it out! :tape:

P.S. The love level is about the same as always. Thank you. ;)

Tennis Fool
02-03-2005, 07:57 AM
I hope you didn't think I meant with me :eek:

I meant offline...someone's got you writing furiously...or maybe not.

jmp
02-03-2005, 12:41 PM
No! :lol: I knew what you meant! :haha:

[Oh, Tennis Fool, you've captured my heart with your cartoon avatar and magnificent typing skills. :haha:]