Did Marat Safin benefit from having 2 days off and playing the '05 AO final at night? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Did Marat Safin benefit from having 2 days off and playing the '05 AO final at night?

the cat
01-31-2005, 04:10 PM
Did Marat Safin benefit from having 2 days off before the 2005 Australian Open men's final and by playing the final at night under nice weather conditions? I think so. I think Safin needed the 2 days off to fully mentally and physically recover from his titanic and arduous 5 set semifinal win over Roger Federer. And I also think it would have been hard for Safin to muster the energy to win the final in the oppresive Australian daytime heat. But playing the final at night enabled Marat to get stronger and that match went on. And Safin's Federer like play in the fourth set was absolutely amazing with some of the best shotmaking I have ever seen! :tennis: :D

jmp
01-31-2005, 04:28 PM
Yes! I totally agree. It was also super lucky that he played Dominik with the roof closed.

Goooooooo Marat! :D :D

Auscon
01-31-2005, 04:41 PM
not really....he's a high quality athlete, so I dont think the extra days made a difference

Sure, Lleyton mightve been the stronger if it were a long match in blistering heat, but I still think Marat wouldve still remaind strong and not let it get that long

What I do think Marat possibly benefited from is Lleyton having plans to propose apon winning the trophy......surely that mustve been going through his head when he was out on court.....really dont need that stuff creeping into your mind during your appearance in the centenary Australian Open final

jmp
01-31-2005, 04:49 PM
Auscon, it would be interesting to know what effect the planned proposal had on Lleyton during the match.

tennischick
01-31-2005, 04:49 PM
yes he did. but i believe he would have won anyway. the only player who gets off on playing in the scorching sun is Agassi.

tennischick
01-31-2005, 04:51 PM
Auscon, it would be interesting to know what effect the planned proposal had on Lleyton during the match.
maybe it inspired him to give his very best effort. for the first set and a half his tennis was incredible.

Auscon
01-31-2005, 04:54 PM

yeah, the more I think about it, the more I think that Bec cost Lleyton a win :) Then again, Lleytons got to be out of his effin' mind to have even been thinking about getting engaged with an Australian Open final in sight....a real dumb move imo.

Needed to have 100% focus......badly needed to get that serve going.....but couldnt. Maybe if he had that extra focus, he mightve got the serve going, and mightve held off some crucial breaks, and possibly weathered Marats mighty storm in the 3rd and 4th sets, if there was to ever be an end to the storm that is

jmp
01-31-2005, 05:05 PM
Yoko? :lol:

Yeah, when there was no pressure, Lleyton's serve held up. But, when I saw it start to break down, I thought Marat had the opening he needed. At the time I thought the serve broke down because Marat started pressuring him. Marat was probably a bigger factor than Bec.

TheBoiledEgg
01-31-2005, 05:14 PM
hardly............ the two day break cost Marat the 1st set and nearly the match
having 2 days off breaks your routine

the cat
01-31-2005, 07:24 PM
Good point JMP about how Safin benefited from having the roof closed in his quarterfinal match against Dominick Hrbaty.

TC, that's true about Andre Agassi enjoying playing in oppresive heat and making his opponenets suffer in that heat! :mad: :devil: But I think Lleyton Hewitt would have preferred to play Safin in a daytime final with much hotter conditions.

No to the Yoko Ono comparison, JMP. Let's not go that far. ;)

It looks like you're in the minority Eggy. ;) I think the 2 days off and playing the final at night in delightful weather conditions helped Safin stay strong for his 4 set win.

Denise
01-31-2005, 07:50 PM
I don't think Marat was benefit from having 2 days off....that's doenst make difference!

the cat
01-31-2005, 07:56 PM
Denise, if you don't think Marat benefitted from having 2 days off do you think he benefitted from playing the 2005 Australian Open at night in wonderful weather conditions?

Riley Finn
01-31-2005, 08:15 PM
summing it all up-Safin benefited from having an unexperienced player in the 1st round, then having to play a player who was caught on drugs,then having erratic Mario in the 3rd round, then from having an opponent who was too small for him,then form hhaving the roof closed,then from facing an out-of-form Roger,and then from having 2 days off,night match and tired Hewitt. That lucky bastard!

Bibir
01-31-2005, 09:11 PM
only a matter of luck...Third time is the lucky one. ;) ;)

maratski
01-31-2005, 09:17 PM
only a matter of luck...Third time is the lucky one. ;) ;)

yes! :)

magdanovich
01-31-2005, 09:41 PM
Having 2 days break didn't make a difference - but having a night match probably helped him no end. If it had been a super-hot day match he would have struggled to come back against Hewitt. When he played Rochus, who is always a tricky competitor for him, his play notably improved as the match wore on and the day got cooller. Plus his major wins at Melbourne (Roddick, Agassi 04 for example) were night matches. He seems to thrive under night match conditions ... agree with others too that the closed roof against fitness freak Hrbaty went his way too.

the cat
01-31-2005, 11:37 PM
LOL Riley! :lol: But I think Marat made most of his luck.

Magdonovich, I agree with you about the night match. I think that helped Marat more than having 2 days off did.

gabnouwop
02-01-2005, 12:29 AM
I think he did, the question should be why the semis wasnt play the same day???
Hewitt could be tired so Marat has an advantage but he still played great ;)

Fedex
02-01-2005, 04:36 AM
hardly............ the two day break cost Marat the 1st set and nearly the match
having 2 days off breaks your routine
Yes, it can sometimes. Marat is very physically fit, so that was not a problem, anyway.

Prizeidiot
02-01-2005, 06:27 AM
Probably didn't affect the match too much

the cat
02-01-2005, 04:46 PM
gab, I think Tennis Australia has the men's semifinals on different days so they can sell 2 different days or nights as was the case this year of the men's semifinal tickets. Tennis Australia can build 2 different days or nights around the 2 men's seminfinals and that means more money more Tennis Australia. It's not right to do this to the player who has only 1 day off. But I believe that making more money is why Tennis Australia does this instead of having both men's semifinals on the same day.

Leena
02-01-2005, 04:58 PM
Roddick's situation was much the same in 2003 US Open, and everyone cried bloody murder.

TheBoiledEgg
02-01-2005, 05:15 PM
gab, I think Tennis Australia has the men's semifinals on different days so they can sell 2 different days or nights as was the case this year of the men's semifinal tickets. Tennis Australia can build 2 different days or nights around the 2 men's seminfinals and that means more money more Tennis Australia. It's not right to do this to the player who has only 1 day off. But I believe that making more money is why Tennis Australia does this instead of having both men's semifinals on the same day.

its much better than the Stupid Saturday that the USTA has :rolleyes:

the cat
02-01-2005, 05:45 PM
That's Super Saturday Eggy. ;) But the scheduling isn't super. :( I don't why the ITF stands for it. The men should demand a day off between the semifinal and the final.

That's right Leena. People complained about how the USTA gave Roddick and Agassi the scheduling advantage with all the rainouts. I think Ferrero had to play 1 more day of consecutive tennis to make the final than Roddick did. And that hurt Ferrero's chances to win or atleast threaten Roddick in the final.

Leena
02-01-2005, 05:56 PM
If anything, put the men's final on at Sunday night. I don't understand why they haven't for years, since it takes up NFL coverage time on CBS.

And I know how Roddick and Safin are treated on this board... I just wanted to point out Point of Hypocrisy #1234123423143 here. :p

jtipson
02-01-2005, 06:02 PM
The situation at the AO is very different from that at the USO.

First of all, the finalists both get at least a day off, so I would say it is less critical than the break that they get in New York, which is only a few hours sometimes.

Second, if TA had wanted to promote their player like the USTA seemed to do in 2003, then surely they would have scheduled Hewitt to have the two days off, not Safin. It seems to me that it's always the top half finalist who gets the extra time at the AO, rather than at the whim of the schedulers.

the cat
02-01-2005, 06:19 PM
Point well taken LL. :) But I don't think CBS wants the men's U.S. Open final to bump or delay the highly rated 60 Minutes on sunday night.

jtipson
02-01-2005, 06:40 PM
Don't you just hate it when scheduling is so driven by TV? Tut tut.

the cat
02-01-2005, 09:33 PM
I loathe it jt. But there is nothing we can do about it other than not watch to make sure their ratings are as bad as possible. And I don't know any true tennis fan who will avoid watching a grand slam final because of the time of the match.

Riley Finn
02-04-2005, 07:09 AM
LOL Riley! :lol: But I think Marat made most of his liuck.

Magdonovich, I agree with you about the night match. I think that helped Marat more than having 2 days off did.

Luck is part of the game. And every player who wins sth big makes the best of their luck.

Riley Finn
02-04-2005, 07:11 AM
Roddick's situation was much the same in 2003 US Open, and everyone cried bloody murder.

No it wasn't. At AO everything went with the schedule.

Ma§tA Ac€
02-04-2005, 07:26 AM
Of course having more time off than your opponent is an advantage- but not a very good one... and not one to be whinging out. If you're using this as an excuse for him winning- that's pretty desperate and pathetic...

jmp
02-04-2005, 08:04 AM
Of course having more time off than your opponent is an advantage- but not a very good one... and not one to be whinging out. If you're using this as an excuse for him winning- that's pretty desperate and pathetic...

Hi Ma§tA Ac€. Most of the MTFers who posted in this thread are on the positive side of the spectrum in terms of how they feel about Marat winning AO. We're basically discussing the role of luck the same way we might discuss the mental aspect of the game. I'm pretty sure you'll be able to spot anyone who thinks Marat is undeserving a mile away. Welcome to MTF.

Action Jackson
02-04-2005, 09:01 AM
Don't you just hate it when scheduling is so driven by TV? Tut tut.

It happens everywhere, why else do you think that crappy marketing tool called Super Saturday exists, it's not for the players benefit.

Originally Posted by Riley Finn
No it wasn't. At AO everything went with the schedule.

Too true.

the cat
02-04-2005, 02:32 PM
George, Super Saturday really doesn't exist in my mind anymore because the USTA has gone away from the great 1 ticket schedule of 1 men's semifinal then the women's final followed by the second men's semifinal. Now there are 2 seperate tickets for the men's semifinals during the day on staturday and the women's final saturday night.

Action Jackson
02-04-2005, 02:34 PM
Super Saturday still exists, two men's semis shouldn't be played the day before the final in any circumstances and even then the final should be pushed back to Monday if they can't get in due to inclement weather.

The US Open is organised poorly and that is solely for TV purposes, and at least the AO doesn't forget it's an international tournament.

Action Jackson
02-04-2005, 02:36 PM
To answer the thread question then it would be no. The time Marat did get benefit was playing a QF indoors when it was very hot against a guy who loves playing in the heat, he got more benefit from that.

the cat
02-04-2005, 10:10 PM
Good point George. It's easy to forget about the break Safin got playing Hrbaty with the roof closed turning their match into an indoor match which is a major advantage for Safin.

Leena
02-04-2005, 11:24 PM
Super Saturday still exists, two men's semis shouldn't be played the day before the final in any circumstances and even then the final should be pushed back to Monday if they can't get in due to inclement weather.

The US Open is organised poorly and that is solely for TV purposes, and at least the AO doesn't forget it's an international tournament.
And the Aussies care about the international crowd by putting both SF's at night... where it's unwatchable for all Americans, and the majority of Euro fans.

Human Washington
02-05-2005, 12:39 AM
Of course it was to his advantage to have been playing first throughout the draw, but he managed to avoid playing back to back five set matches this time....

Hewitt did not. Nadal and Nalbandian ground Hewitt down.....

Anyway Safin raised his level way above Hewitt's in the final during the third set....and Hewitt couldn't match him.

Action Jackson
02-05-2005, 02:59 AM
And the Aussies care about the international crowd by putting both SF's at night... where it's unwatchable for all Americans, and the majority of Euro fans.

You are kidding I have to say I love your sense of humour.

Actually the SFs and final was at a much better hour for European fans than it was previously. Example the 2004 final was 1430 that for the majority of fans in Europe with the daylight saving is 0430, when this years final started at 1945, which makes it 0945 on a Sunday morning which is a lot better, so theory one blown out of the water.

Since when do Americans watch tennis, when Americans aren't involved. :)

jmp
02-05-2005, 03:22 AM
Originally posted by GeorgeWHitler
Since when do Americans watch tennis, when Americans aren't involved. :) :lol:

I lost tons of sleep. But, as an American, I really liked the AO match times because (a) I was totally uninterrupted to enjoy the matches and (b) I had the day time to deal with other things.

I block out my calendar for all four majors. The AO times allowed me to do a little more than I'll probably do during the other three.

Action Jackson
02-05-2005, 03:25 AM
:lol:

I lost tons of sleep. But, as an American, I really liked the AO match times because (a) I was totally uninterrupted to enjoy the matches and (b) I had the day time to deal with other things.

I block out my calendar for all four majors. The AO times allowed me to do a little more than I'll probably do during the other three.

That's the thing if the TV coverage is there and the individual is interested enough in the sport or the match, then sacrifices must be made.

The hardcore fans will watch anyway even if the players aren't local.

BlackSilver
02-05-2005, 03:39 AM
And if someone is too tired, this individual always can record the match

vogus
02-05-2005, 05:18 AM
good point. Anybody who thinks an extra day of rest after a 5-setter isn't important, doesnt understand men's grand slam tennis. Marat caught a big break by playing in the first semi.

Think about this, Safin had more than two and half days of rest between his AO semi and final. At the USOpen, the second semifinalist usually has only about 20 hours rest before the final. Agassi got screwed twice in USO finals ('95 and '02) against Sampras because he just didnt have enough recovery time after a grueling semi that ran into the evening hours. Something needs to change here.

Action Jackson
02-05-2005, 05:22 AM
vogus, we are not talking about the US Open here these are different circumstances clearly.

The extra day wouldn't have helped Safin in 04 with the amount of tennis he played to get to the final. If you saw how flat and nervous he was before he took that "injury" break the extra days wouldn't have benefited and I said earlier his QF is where he got the big break, this in addition to Hewitt who had spent longer on the court helped him, has also been overlooked.

vogus
02-05-2005, 05:36 AM
i was impressed that Hewitt managed to beat Roddick in the semi's after the difficult matches he'd played - i have to say, it did make me wonder a bit about the steroids thing.

I didn't see actually the final this year because of the time change. It was annoying, because I had watched every AO final live for 8 years running, starting with Moya-Sampras in '97 - it had become a real tradition for me.

Action Jackson
02-05-2005, 05:38 AM
Well the other 3 Slams don't care about Australia and shouldn't when it comes to what time they stage their finals, boo hiss you didn't see it. How did it rate in the US as a matter of interest.

TheBoiledEgg
02-05-2005, 11:09 AM
Well the other 3 Slams don't care about Australia and shouldn't when it comes to what time they stage their finals, boo hiss you didn't see it.
:worship: :worship: :devil:

perfectly put, Aus Open should do whats best for them and not for some yankie doodle channel that might not even wanna show it :rolleyes:

bad gambler
02-05-2005, 11:56 AM
Well the other 3 Slams don't care about Australia and shouldn't when it comes to what time they stage their finals, boo hiss you didn't see it. How did it rate in the US as a matter of interest.

indeed - the whole reason the final was switched to night is to accomodate our asian friends as you would know macca made a real push this year for the open to be known as the "Grand Slam of the Asia Pacific"

to toss with everyone else

the cat
02-05-2005, 01:58 PM
Well said Leena.

vogus
02-05-2005, 08:27 PM

i didnt say they shouldnt have changed it, i said it was a shame for me personally that i couldnt watch it. I imagine maybe 50,000 hardcore fans and nightshift workers might have watched the final live in the US but that is just a guess.

Action Jackson
02-06-2005, 03:45 AM
i didnt say they shouldnt have changed it, i said it was a shame for me personally that i couldnt watch it. I imagine maybe 50,000 hardcore fans and nightshift workers might have watched the final live in the US but that is just a guess.

You have a VCR and it's possible to avoid the net. I have to do that in the past and it does it really matter how many people in the US saw it? Like I said the vast majority wouldn't have cared anyway, it's not like the TV viewership in the US negatively effects the Aus Open.