Give Hewitt a break!! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Give Hewitt a break!!

federer express
01-31-2005, 04:48 PM
I find the stick that hewitt gets here unbelievable. I used to play tennis at national level until I was 16 and in my opinion hewitt is the perfect competitor. He gives absolutely everything when he is on court and is gracious in defeat. Anyone that is offended by a few come ons should switch to watching ballet. He is a great character and immensely watchable. If i had to have someone playing for my life, hewitt would be the choice. As a tennis fan he is one of the few players u can count on to always give his best and not cheat the watching public!!

TheMightyFed
01-31-2005, 04:53 PM
I find the stick that hewitt gets here unbelievable. I used to play tennis at national level until I was 16 and in my opinion hewitt is the perfect competitor. He gives absolutely everything when he is on court and is gracious in defeat. Anyone that is offended by a few come ons should switch to watching ballet. He is a great character and immensely watchable. If i had to have someone playing for my life, hewitt would be the choice. As a tennis fan he is one of the few players u can count on to always give his best and not cheat the watching public!!
He's an awesome game but I feel uncomfortable watching his behaviour. He's good for the game for sure, the Blake-Chela incidents were fun, a little bit of tension is always good.
By the way, on which cable chanel could I watch ballet ? ;)

federer express
01-31-2005, 04:54 PM
He's an awesome game but I feel uncomfortable watching his behaviour. He's good for the game for sure, the Blake-Chela incidents were fun, a little bit of tension is always good.

LOL....well eurosport has figure skating if thats any good? :)

TheMightyFed
01-31-2005, 04:58 PM
LOL....well eurosport has figure skating if thats any good? :)

I'll check it out, but ATP-sponsored spit contests are much better... :wavey:

Auscon
01-31-2005, 04:59 PM
I agree that despite having any of the flashy weapons, he's one of, if not the best player to watch

But Lleyton will always cop it no matter what, thats what comes with the territory of having to be such a determined and fiery competitor on the court I guess

gsm
01-31-2005, 05:00 PM

well , your majesty. you "feel uncompfortable watching his behaviour".

get used to it , ha ha ha ha ha. :p

federer express
01-31-2005, 05:00 PM
I agree that despite having any of the flashy weapons, he's one of, if not the best player to watch

But Lleyton will always cop it no matter what, thats what comes with the territory of having to be such a determined and fiery competitor on the court I guess

I think most who played tennis and tried hard to win themselves appreciate his determined attitude

TheMightyFed
01-31-2005, 05:03 PM
well , your majesty. you "feel uncompfortable watching his behaviour".

get used to it , ha ha ha ha ha. :p

Don't worry, I focus mainly on Marat's and Fed's matches, so if Hewitt is around usually he says "too good" or "great shot", so then Í appreciate him... :devil:

adeegee
01-31-2005, 05:04 PM
his come ons are quite funny but what he did to the line judge after he got foot faulted in the final was unnecessary

federer express
01-31-2005, 05:06 PM
his come ons are quite funny but what he did to the line judge after he got foot faulted in the final was unnecessary

I think all the players handled the bad line calling and questionable foot faults pretty well...including hewitt

TheMightyFed
01-31-2005, 05:07 PM
What did he do exactly, I didn't get this one...

Rogiman
01-31-2005, 05:08 PM
He's one of the game's greatest assets, and a role-model for every sportsman as far as competing and being gracious in defeat are concerned.

I also believe that save for a couple guys on the tour he is pretty popular among his fellow-players, especially those who count.

federer express
01-31-2005, 05:10 PM
He's one of the game's greatest assets, and a role-model for every sportsman as far as competing and being gracious in defeat are concerned.

I also believe that save for a couple guys on the tour he is pretty popular among his fellow-players, especially those who count.

YUP! Any worth while player likes him...u could see that when safin beat him even. And even when nalbandian lost to him. Hewitt or chela? who'd be a bigger loss to the game?? Hmmmm...tough one!

joeb_uk
01-31-2005, 05:11 PM
I think most who played tennis and tried hard to win themselves appreciate his determined attitude
I havent played tennis, but i have played other sports so i really admire those aspects. Also other players like canas i really admire. Something i despise is the gutless wonders who are the total opposite of him.

gsm
01-31-2005, 05:12 PM
Don't worry, I focus mainly on Marat's and Fed's matches, so if Hewitt is around usually he says "too good" or "great shot", so then Í appreciate him... :devil:

i thought you were the type to concentrate on one or two players. ;)

federer express
01-31-2005, 05:12 PM
I havent played tennis, but i have played other sports so i really admire those aspects. Also other players like canas i really admire.

Yeah canas is cool. I meant anyone with a competitive instinct can appreciate his effort

jmp
01-31-2005, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by federer express

Well put. :) My take:

http://menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=1146942&postcount=41

Chloe le Bopper
01-31-2005, 05:31 PM
YUP! Any worth while player likes him...u could see that when safin beat him even. And even when nalbandian lost to him. Hewitt or chela? who'd be a bigger loss to the game?? Hmmmm...tough one!

How players react to Hewitt after losing to him doesn't tell us how much they like him :retard: I don't deny that lots of players like him - he seems fine when he's not doing theatre on court. I'm saying... that's crap logic.

federer express
01-31-2005, 05:33 PM
How players react to Hewitt after losing to him doesn't tell us how much they like him :retard: I don't deny that lots of players like him - he seems fine when he's not doing theatre on court. I'm saying... that's crap logic.

Actually retard it says a lot. The hand shakes at the end tell us plenty!!!! :smash:

Chloe le Bopper
01-31-2005, 05:34 PM
Actually retard it says a lot. The hand shakes at the end tell us plenty!!!! :smash:
No, it really doesn't. It tells us that whoever just lost to Hewitt is being a good loser. At least for the time being. Beyond that it tells us pretty much nothing. Coria went up to Gaudio and hugged him after their Roland Garros final, and I'm fairly confident that those two won't be going out for a beer together any time soon.

federer express
01-31-2005, 05:36 PM
No, it really doesn't. It tells us that whoever just lost to Hewitt is being a good loser. At least for the time being. Beyond that it tells us pretty much nothing. Coria went up to Gaudio and hugged him after their Roland Garros final, and I'm fairly confident that those two won't be going out for a beer together any time soon.

If u hate someone u generally dont share a warm handshake and kind few words with them at the end of a match...no matter how good the match was

Chloe le Bopper
01-31-2005, 05:38 PM
If u hate someone u generally dont share a warm handshake and kind few words with them at the end of a match...no matter how good the match was
Again, I disagree. I am quite often extremely nice to coworkers of mine that I don't have any kind thoughts for whatsoever. And again... I'm not saying that people don't like Hewitt. Just that their behaviour at the net after a match is fairly inconclusive.

federer express
01-31-2005, 05:39 PM
Give me hewitt over another non-descript passionless player who cant even arouse enough interest to make ppl talk about him anyday!!

federer express
01-31-2005, 05:40 PM
Again, I disagree. I am quite often extremely nice to coworkers of mine that I don't have any kind thoughts for whatsoever. And again... I'm not saying that people don't like Hewitt. Just that their behaviour at the net after a match is fairly inconclusive.

I disagree. When i played if i didn't like the person, it was a handshake and good game at the end. If we were friends was a smile, different handshake and a little chat at the net

Neely
01-31-2005, 05:44 PM
I can agree with that, at least I personally wouldn't act like that if I hated somebody... as I'm not a good actress in such situations, I would only acknowledge their performance saying "well played", "good match"... and show the minimum standard of politeness giving them a quick girls handshake.

But as Rebecca says, there might be players who could do better in such a scenario. And this would be also possible.

Chloe le Bopper
01-31-2005, 05:45 PM
I disagree. When i played if i didn't like the person, it was a handshake and good game at the end. If we were friends was a smile, different handshake and a little chat at the net
You're also not a professional player who is getting your face on TV when you do that.

khyber
01-31-2005, 05:47 PM
Quit dissing ballet and figure skating, or I will have to put on my tutu and come over and kick your ass!!!!

federer express
01-31-2005, 05:48 PM
You're also not a professional player who is getting your face on TV when you do that.

Irrelevant. Players usually speak well of hewitt. Every time he has a major defeat he is incredibly sporting at the net. It was obvious safin has a lot of time for him. And i seen enough almost non-existent handshakes at the end of matches with no eye contact..dont think the players are thinking a camera is on me i better smile and be nice now!! They are all happy to throw rackets and swear with these same cameras on them!!

Chloe le Bopper
01-31-2005, 05:55 PM
Irrelevant.

No, it wasn't. Your personal experiences however, were.

Players usually speak well of hewitt.

I never said otherwise.

Every time he has a major defeat he is incredibly sporting at the net.

I never said otherwise.

It was obvious safin has a lot of time for him.

I never said otherwise.

And i seen enough almost non-existent handshakes at the end of matches with no eye contact..dont think the players are thinking a camera is on me i better smile and be nice now!! They are all happy to throw rackets and swear with these same cameras on them!!

I have also seen some rather weak handshakes. I've also seen HUGS between people who have a history of hating each other. My entire point here is that you can not always judge how well people get along based on how they act after a match. Some people are better sports than others. I don't think that I've ever seen Nalbandian give a limp handshake, for example (mind you, I haven't caught too many of his matches with Roddick... ;)). That doesn't mean that he wants to take everybody out for a beer. And that? Is the only point I've made here. All this other stuff that you posted above is completely irrelevant and had nothing to do with my point.

federer express
01-31-2005, 05:57 PM
sadly u dont have a point

jmp
01-31-2005, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by khyber
Quit dissing ballet and figure skating, or I will have to put on my tutu and come over and kick your ass!!!!

:haha: :haha:

Chloe le Bopper
01-31-2005, 06:14 PM
sadly u dont have a point
I do. It seems that you're the only one that is missing it. It doesn't take very much in the way of literacy skills to see what it is. It's spelled right out in at least two posts now. What is sad here is that your personal dislike of me makes it impossible for you to read my posts without going :retard: on us. Grow up.

federer express
01-31-2005, 06:17 PM
I do. It seems that you're the only one that is missing it. It doesn't take very much in the way of literacy skills to see what it is. It's spelled right out in at least two posts now. What is sad here is that your personal dislike of me makes it impossible for you to read my posts without going :retard: on us. Grow up.

U finally got one thing right. My dislike of u!! :aparty:

Chloe le Bopper
01-31-2005, 06:22 PM
U finally got one thing right. My dislike of u!! :aparty:
I don't particular care for you either, but that doesn't stop me from reading and being as objective as possible about your posts. I don't resort to acting like a 10 year old as a result of this. Again... grow up. I don't care if you *are* 10. The sooner you stop acting like a baby the better.

CooCooCachoo
01-31-2005, 06:24 PM

Although we don't share the main view on Hewitt (i.e. that you like his behaviour on court, and I dislike it), I do agree that it is admirable that he gives his all everytime he is out there and that he is also gracious in defeat. He is a character for sure too, but I am just not sure about the 'great' part. I can easily see why his opponents are offended by him though. Pumping yourself up when your opponent hits double faults or unforced errors is highly unsportsmanlike and intolerable, even when I have absolutely no doubt that Lleyton doesn't do it to annoy his opponents, but solely to cheer himself up.

By the way, if fans are offended by the come ons they should switch to watching ballet? Does that mean that Nadal, Chela, Nalbandían and others who were offended by him should take on ballet? Imagining what Rafael looks like in a tutu does indeed crack me up. And the Swan Lake would get a whole different meaning when David stars in it.

federer express
01-31-2005, 06:25 PM
I don't particular care for you either, but that doesn't stop me from reading and being as objective as possible about your posts. I don't resort to acting like a 10 year old as a result of this. Again... grow up. I don't care if you *are* 10. The sooner you stop acting like a baby the better.

If u ever say anything that doesn't seem like its come straight from your backside...u might get a serious response from me. Til then if u care as little for what i say as i do u, why get involved in what i say??

PaulieM
01-31-2005, 06:27 PM
I like his game and it's great that he gives his all, but he also does A LOT of things that are uncalled for

federer express
01-31-2005, 06:28 PM
By the way, if fans are offended by the come ons they should switch to watching ballet? Does that mean that Nadal, Chela, Nalbandían and others who were offended by him should take on ballet? Imagining what Rafael looks like in a tutu does indeed crack me up. And the Swan Lake would get a whole different meaning when David stars in it.

U see...it makes perfect sense from an entertainment point of view. And players who are bothered by it are the mentally fragile ones...u dont see him getting to federer or others. People like nalbandian should focus on their own game and inability to win a big tournament, rather than hewitt's behaviour. In my view that is

federer express
01-31-2005, 06:30 PM

And not sure how nadal can be offended when he does exactly the same thing...even more so and in a worse way in my view

CooCooCachoo
01-31-2005, 06:33 PM
U see...it makes perfect sense from an entertainment point of view. And players who are bothered by it are the mentally fragile ones...u dont see him getting to federer or others. People like nalbandian should focus on their own game and inability to win a big tournament, rather than hewitt's behaviour. In my view that is

I find it funny that you say this. I don't find David a mental case at all. The same goes for Chela and Nadal. They are mentally quite strong. These are three players that share six International Series events. Nadal is one of the biggest promises for the future and will be sure to win some more big titles. Nalbandían is a two-time Grand Slam finalist. Chela overcame a doping riot. You do not have the right to call these players mentally fragile.

And from an entertainment point of view I prefer to watch a calm and collected, tactically smart and strategic player rather than someone who annoys his opponents. But that is subjective.

CooCooCachoo
01-31-2005, 06:33 PM
And not sure how nadal can be offended when he does exactly the same thing...even more so and in a worse way in my view

Why is it worse? I don't see that. Nadal is nowhere near Lleyton's antics.

federer express
01-31-2005, 06:35 PM
from an entertainment point of view I prefer to watch a calm and collected, tactically smart and strategic player rather than someone who annoys his opponents. But that is subjective.

I meant nalbandian and nadal involved in ballet was entertaining. And was referring mainly to nalbandian with the mental fragility. I think he has a lot to prove there and there will be a question mark over him until he wins the very big match or final

federer express
01-31-2005, 06:37 PM
Why is it worse? I don't see that. Nadal is nowhere near Lleyton's antics.

i think he does the same thing but even more often. And i find hewitt's more spontaneous. Nadal sometimes does his little run and fist clench a few seconds after winning the point. Nadal is more calculating with his celebrations and vamos for me!

CooCooCachoo
01-31-2005, 06:39 PM
i think he does the same thing but even more often. And i find hewitt's more spontaneous. Nadal sometimes does his little run and fist clench a few seconds after winning the point. Nadal is more calculating with his celebrations and vamos for me!

OK. I disagree. Not that I am very fond of Nadal, but Lleyton is in a league of its own for me.

federer express
01-31-2005, 06:40 PM
OK. I disagree. Not that I am very fond of Nadal, but Lleyton is in a league of its own for me.

And i never see nadal as sporting in defeat as hewitt is. Just my opinion...might be wrong

FanOfHewitt
01-31-2005, 06:41 PM
Nadal doesn't go off at officialdom like Hewitt does, but as far as screaming goes, Nadal is Hewitt's twin.

federer express
01-31-2005, 06:42 PM
Nadal doesn't go off at officialdom like Hewitt does, but as far as screaming goes, Nadal is Hewitt's twin.

Officials getting some abuse is entertaining i think..and not unexpected either by them. People say they miss McEnroe for his antics and where are the characters now, and then bemoan hewitt and his behaviour. I dont get it

FanOfHewitt
01-31-2005, 06:51 PM
It's quite disdainful and I'd prefer Hewitt not to do it, but it's a petty thing as far as I'm concerned.

I forgive him everything for the way he battles and competes.

I think the game would suffer without someone with his demonic tenacity and passion.

T-T
01-31-2005, 09:02 PM
Lleyton Hewitt, in my book, is the most heroic player in modern tennis. The way he defeated Nadal, Nalbandian and Roddick all in a row was the most improbable and amazing series I've ever seen.

And it goes without saying he's a nice guy, although very unsure of himself.

Denise
01-31-2005, 09:12 PM
You can't compare Nadal with Hewitt...

lley sucks :o

iluvcandy227
01-31-2005, 09:17 PM
You can't compare Nadal with Hewitt...

lley sucks :o

i agree and nadal is hot and hewitt well he's just not

Billy Moonshine
01-31-2005, 09:51 PM
Hewitt, the perfect competitor? Bullying officials, callling them ' Spastics', making racist comments, cheering his opponents errors, cheering his winners like it's the first time anyone played a good shot in a professional tennis match? Perfect competitor, I think not! Just because other players don't demonstrate their emotions and competetiveness so aggressively doesn't mean they don't want to win. Edberg, Sampras, Rafter, Stich, Federer, Ivanesivic, Korda, Johansson, Coata, Chang, Lendl, Wilander, Gaudio, Moya, Muster, Courier, the list of grand slam champs who have competed 100% to actually win at the highest levels yet never screamed racist, offensive abuse or shown ugly unsportsmanlike behaviour is long. And why is it that Hewitt's graciosness in defeat is considered such an endearing quality by his fans? He damn well should be seeing as he's so used to getting beaten by players who know how to control their emotions and make their competetiveness work for them! It's only because his other characteristics are so bad that this even gets mentioned. It's not a redeeming factor.
The bottom line, imo, is that he may be a great player, respect to him for that, but he is an uneducated, ignorant, arrogant, ill-mannered, spoilt child on the court. Competitive! Maybe in the juniors mate.
And Nalbandian has nothing to prove to anyone.

federer express
01-31-2005, 09:53 PM
Hewitt, the perfect competitor? Bullying officials, callling them ' Spastics', making racist comments, cheering his opponents errors, cheering his winners like it's the first time anyone played a good shot in a professional tennis match?

Not entirely true

federer express
01-31-2005, 09:55 PM
Ivanesivic, Lendl, Muster, Courier, never shown ugly unsportsmanlike behaviour

Did u watch them play??

RodLo
01-31-2005, 10:01 PM
i agree and nadal is hot and hewitt well he's just not

So let me get this straight, if a tennis player isn't hot you don't like them? Now that seems pretty shallow... :rolleyes: Sure, it's always nice to have someone to look at...but that shouldn't determine whether or not you like them.

I don't find Hewitt attractive, but that isn't what makes me dislike him. I appreciate his game and the talent he has...what I don't like is the way he presents himself on the court. Plain and simple...there's nothing to read in between the lines.

It sounds to me like you just don't like him out of petty reasons...and that's ridiculous. :rolleyes:

Billy Moonshine
01-31-2005, 10:39 PM
Fed Express- how are my comments not entirely true? Which ones?
Calling official spastics-Yep, true.
Racist comments- Asking what similiarity is between Blake and Black official and any bias this might cause-pretty racist if you ask me! Both of these come under bullying officials i think.
Cheering opponents faults- Yep, seen it many times over last two weeks.
Cheering winners in an over the top fashion-Oh yes- guess they're few and far between for him, so pretty understandable.

Yes, I watched Muster, ivanesivic, Courier, Lendl play- been watching tennis for nearly two decades. Don't recall any of them asking for officials to be sent off the court because they had the same skin colour as the opposition. They got fired up, yeah,shouted at themselves, pumped their fists, who doesn't? but they weren't ugly like Hewitt. Care to tell me when they have been? And what about the other ten players, and, oh yeah, there's Ferrero too, and Safin, where does hewitt stand when compared to them as a good ambassador for competetive behaviour?

federer express
01-31-2005, 10:45 PM

And he's the only one to abuse officials? nobody would say agassi isn't a great ambassador but i've seen him direct much worse language than that at officials

federer express
01-31-2005, 10:46 PM
Racist comments- Asking what similiarity is between Blake and Black official and any bias this might cause-pretty racist if you ask me!

My understanding of that incident is that he accused the linesperson of nepotism (favouritism) towards blake because of the colour of his skin. Whilst ill-advised, that is not racist!

federer express
01-31-2005, 10:47 PM

He cheers winning big points. And if its not big score wise it is generally after he has looked like losing the point and done some unbelievable retrieving in it. Either way, so what.... he can cheer

federer express
01-31-2005, 10:49 PM
Yes, I watched Muster, ivanesivic, Courier, Lendl play- but they weren't ugly like Hewitt.

Then i cant believe u saw much of lendl!

Billy Moonshine
01-31-2005, 10:58 PM
You'll notice I left Agassi off my list. I don't think he's a great ambassador at all, far from it. The abuse these players have given officials and the abuse that Hewitt has given are very different. Calling Officials swearwords is nasty but calling them Spastics, as if being a spastic is a bad thing and not something that cannot be helped, is so awful, especially for the handicapped and their families who fight prejudice, they don't need to hear this term shouted in a deragotory manner by a priviliged, spoilt, ignorant moroon.
And dress it up as you will-nepotism! Favoritism! Hewitt made a snide comment, we all heard it, about whether or not the umpire noticed any similarities between the two. To suggest that the colour of their skin comes into it, as if that is the only reason for the officials decision, is racism.
None of those players i mentioned can be accussed of this type of behaviour.
Please don't insult peole who have experienced prejudice and ignorance any more by defending Hewitt. Why don't you just admit he is at fault here? And i am not completely anti-Hewitt. i hope that he grows up, a la Agassi, and turns into a gent.

Billy Moonshine
01-31-2005, 10:59 PM
You'll notice I left Agassi off my list. I don't think he's a great ambassador at all, far from it. The abuse these players have given officials and the abuse that Hewitt has given are very different. Calling Officials swearwords is nasty but calling them Spastics, as if being a spastic is a bad thing and not something that cannot be helped, is so awful, especially for the handicapped and their families who fight prejudice, they don't need to hear this term shouted in a deragotory manner by a priviliged, spoilt, ignorant moroon.
And dress it up as you will-nepotism! Favoritism! Hewitt made a snide comment, we all heard it, about whether or not the umpire noticed any similarities between the two. To suggest that the colour of their skin comes into it, as if that is the only reason for the officials decision, is racism.
None of those players i mentioned can be accussed of this type of behaviour.
Please don't insult peole who have experienced prejudice and ignorance any more by defending Hewitt. Why don't you just admit he is at fault here?

federer express
01-31-2005, 11:02 PM
.Please don't insult peole who have experienced prejudice and ignorance any more by defending Hewitt. Why don't you just admit he is at fault here?

What? Because i dont believe he is a racist

federer express
01-31-2005, 11:03 PM
i hope that he grows up, a la Agassi, and turns into a gent.

So agassi is or isn't a good ambassaor? U decided yet?

Billy Moonshine
01-31-2005, 11:13 PM
No, because he made snide comments about officials on the tennis court, letting out his anger in an unsportsmanlike way.
Agassi isn't a good ambassador, my saying that he has grwn up is true, he has, but I never said he was a good ambassador. He isn't.Being a brat and then getting all spiritual doesn't make everything okay. But he has atoned in some way for all his bad behaviour. His on court behaviour is miles better now than it was. Would be nice to see Hewitt turn out like him. I don't want Hewitt to be reviled the way he is you know, but I understand it. And I think you should admit you are at fault because you are totally denying hewitt behaves badly on court, as if what he does is normal and a good example.
And I don't have to decide on anything.I never have!

federer express
01-31-2005, 11:17 PM
Being a brat and then getting all spiritual doesn't make everything okay. But he has atoned in some way for all his bad behaviour. And I think you should admit you are at fault because you are totally denying hewitt behaves badly on court, as if what he does is normal and a good example.

OMG do u hear yourself? Agassi has atoned? Its as if he has committed a deadly sin. And i am denying hewitt behaves badly on court. And he is a good example. If i could show young kids taking up the game who to fight like on court...it would be him!

iluvcandy227
01-31-2005, 11:22 PM
So let me get this straight, if a tennis player isn't hot you don't like them? Now that seems pretty shallow... :rolleyes: Sure, it's always nice to have someone to look at...but that shouldn't determine whether or not you like them.

I don't find Hewitt attractive, but that isn't what makes me dislike him. I appreciate his game and the talent he has...what I don't like is the way he presents himself on the court. Plain and simple...there's nothing to read in between the lines.

It sounds to me like you just don't like him out of petty reasons...and that's ridiculous. :rolleyes:

im not shallow i like federer and hes not exactly hot i was saying u shouldnt compare them cuz nadal is hot and hewitt isnt i never said i didnt like him because hes not hot

Billy Moonshine
01-31-2005, 11:23 PM
I hear myself. He has atoned. Have you ever read an interview with him. In fact I'm sounding quite like him. He is trying to atone, to prove himself after all the criticism he got in his early career.
I wouldn't show Kids to fight like Hewitt. I'd show them to fight like safin in the SF OZ Open 2005, Sampras in OZopen 2004 Vs. Courier, Chang in French open 1989 Vs Lendl, and too many other matches too mention when the fighting was done in a beautiful way. Are you seriously saying that the only way to fight is like Hewitt, to make a big show, look at me, look at what a fighter I am! And your a pretty good fighter too fedExpress, defending Hewitt to the end! I'm beginning to see why you like him so much.

federer express
01-31-2005, 11:25 PM
I hear myself. He has atoned. Have you ever read an interview with him. In fact I'm sounding quite like him. He is trying to atone, to prove himself after all the criticism he got in his early career.
I wouldn't show Kids to fight like Hewitt. I'd show them to fight like safin in the SF OZ Open 2005, Sampras in OZopen 2004 Vs. Courier, Chang in French open 1989 Vs Lendl, and too many other matches too mention when the fighting was done in a beautiful way. Are you seriously saying that the only way to fight is like Hewitt, to make a big show, look at me, look at what a fighter I am! And your a pretty good fighter too fedExpress, defending Hewitt to the end! I'm beginning to see why you like him so much.

Each to their own...we all have our opinions

Billy Moonshine
01-31-2005, 11:30 PM
Ours are very different! I like it! :)

federer express
01-31-2005, 11:33 PM
Ours are very different! I like it! :)

Very true

Chloe le Bopper
02-01-2005, 01:10 AM

I don't disagree with your point here, but I'm not sure that Nadal *has* complained about Hewitt. He has asked not to be compared to him before, but either than that I've only read positive things about Hewitt from him. Although he does think that Hewitt tries to agitate his opponent sometimes (having said as much), he has also said that he understands him and that it doesn't bother him.

Maybe I missed something? Or maybe you just interpreted that as complaining and I didn't :D

Chloe le Bopper
02-01-2005, 01:12 AM
And i never see nadal as sporting in defeat as hewitt is. Just my opinion...might be wrong

Probably because you don't read his interviews. :)

federer express
02-01-2005, 01:15 AM
Probably because you don't read his interviews. :)

U are right...i haven't read them. Dont have a problem with nadal either though...i like him and hewitt. Like players who die trying on court

Chloe le Bopper
02-01-2005, 01:18 AM
U are right...i haven't read them. Dont have a problem with nadal either though...i like him and hewitt. Like players who die trying on court
I don't really have a problem with Hewitt either. He can act like a nitwit and I don't blame people for complaining.... but ultimately, it's not against the rules. Players will have to learn to play him like or deal with losing their minds and the match. Hopefully without spitting :)

federer express
02-01-2005, 01:19 AM
I don't really have a problem with Hewitt either. He can act like a nitwit and I don't blame people for complaining.... but ultimately, it's not against the rules. Players will have to learn to play him like or deal with losing their minds and the match. Hopefully without spitting :)

Yup yup...i agree. This is all very pleasnat for us! LOL

iluvcandy227
02-01-2005, 01:23 AM
why should hewitt deserve a break hes annoyin

federer express
02-01-2005, 01:24 AM
why should hewitt deserve a break hes annoyin

I like him

iluvcandy227
02-01-2005, 01:27 AM
I like him

well thats not a very good reason

federer express
02-01-2005, 01:28 AM
well thats not a very good reason

mmm...is he's annoying?

iluvcandy227
02-01-2005, 01:30 AM
mmm...is he's annoying?

hell yea hes annoyin with his stupid cmons

federer express
02-01-2005, 01:34 AM
hell yea hes annoyin with his stupid cmons

well i dont mind the c'mons. i like the fight and desire that produces them

iluvcandy227
02-01-2005, 01:36 AM
well i do mind the cmons it would be so much better if he just kept his mouth shut then he wouldnt be so annoyin

federer express
02-01-2005, 01:38 AM
well i do mind the cmons it would be so much better if he just kept his mouth shut then he wouldnt be so annoyin

I used to say c'mon after a good shot when i played. Its just a way of getting yourself pumped and hopefully playing better

federer express
02-01-2005, 01:39 AM
And after bad shots of mine too...but in a different tone (and with my racket flying sometimes)

iluvcandy227
02-01-2005, 01:41 AM
yea i guess it pumps a player up but that doesnt change the fact that its annoyin and its even more annoyin coming from lleyton

papa_papped_a_lop
02-01-2005, 02:17 AM
Hewitt has skill but lacks class imo. Contrary to what the media have been portraying in OZ, more people actually hate him then like him in Australia.

I was so happy when the Australian media hyped him up so much, with so much coverage only to set him up for the most grandest fall of all. It was especially glorious to see Safin take him out in his own country in front of a quarter of the Australian population tuned in to see it live at prime time. It was definitely great exposure for a great champion that is Safin.
It was pleasing to see him go all out and try his best going for every shot but to still be beaten convincingly when Safin found his head, this makes Safin win more recognisable as it wasn't the case with Federer last yr when he beat energy-depleted Safin.
Hewitt deserves a break, yes a broken bone!

RodLo
02-01-2005, 03:13 AM
Hewitt has skill but lacks class imo. Contrary to what the media have been portraying in OZ, more people actually hate him then like him in Australia.

I was so happy when the Australian media hyped him up so much, with so much coverage only to set him up for the most grandest fall of all. It was especially glorious to see Safin take him out in his own country in front of a quarter of the Australian population tuned in to see it live at prime time. It was definitely great exposure for a great champion that is Safin.
It was pleasing to see him go all out and try his best going for every shot but to still be beaten convincingly when Safin found his head, this makes Safin win more recognisable as it wasn't the case with Federer last yr when he beat energy-depleted Safin.
Hewitt deserves a break, yes a broken bone!

110% agreed. :yeah:

Lisbeth
02-01-2005, 03:24 AM
People are perfectly entitled to dislike Hewitt or any other player on any basis, valid or imagined.

However, I completely disagree that "more Australians hate Hewitt than like him". I am particularly sick of non-Aussies spouting this rubbish.

SOME Australians dislike him and I have no problem with that. At least where I live (Sydney), by far the majority either like him a lot (hence the ratings he has been pulling in, and the fact that all my family and most of my workmates really wanted him to win an spent hours watching) or dislike some things about his on court style but feel those are outweighed by his good side, particularly his patriotism, sincerity and charity work.

Incidentally, the only person I know in real life who admits to actively disliking him, hates Roddick a whole lot more and still wanted Lleyton to win the semi ;) And almost everybody likes him better than Pat Cash - not that that's a resounding reference :lol:

So by all means dislike him (whether you are Australian or not) but don't attempt to paint the rest of the country with your brush.

FanOfHewitt
02-01-2005, 03:54 AM
Fed Express- how are my comments not entirely true? Which ones?
Racist comments- Asking what similiarity is between Blake and Black official and any bias this might cause-pretty racist if you ask me! Both of these come under bullying officials i think.
Cheering winners in an over the top fashion-Oh yes- guess they're few and far between for him, so pretty understandable.

He called AN official spastic. He doesn't go around calling officials spastics as a general practice. I'm sure he has regretted ever saying it and has since done quite a bit of work with disabled people which to me shows that he is willing to atone.

Accusing someone of being racist against you doesn't make you a racist. What brought his comments out was paranoia, which Hewitt definitely has when he gets competitive. That's why he always does his head whenever he gets foot faulted or a percieved bad line call etc. I could just as well bring up the fact that his coach is of Lebonese extraction, one of his best mates is part Indigenous Australian, his hitting partner is of Greek extraction and therefore claim that he is not racist but you could probably still maintain that he is. I don't think he is.

Cheering opponents faults? Errors maybe, after keenly contested points. Not service faults. But hey who doesn't do that? Most players do, even the ones that complain that Hewitt shouldn't do it.

Cheering winners in an overthetop manner? Well maybe louder than others, but to me its not over the top. You might have a more gentlemanly picture of this game than I do, but I like to see loud reactions.

FanOfHewitt
02-01-2005, 03:58 AM
Wouldn't know what the general opinion is of him around Australia but I can say that most of my mates hate him.

Lisbeth
02-01-2005, 04:11 AM
;) fair enough but I think you need new mates.

FanOfHewitt
02-01-2005, 04:23 AM
lol, I'm trying to talk the bastards around.

Just a question for those that find Lleyton's screaming unbearable: Gustavo Kuerten seems to be one of the most loved players by the fans and he screams after every single one of his groundstrokes. Why doesn't he raise the ire of fans like Hewitt does? If you want to talk about annoying, what could be more annoying than the sounds of a guy moaning like he does during points.

Personally I don't mind it, but I also don't mid Hewitt's screaming, but for those that take issue with Lleyton, I wonder how they feel about Gustavo.

marilag
02-01-2005, 04:24 AM
Hewitt doesn't cheer his opponents' errors, he celebrates winning a point, and unfortunately that point is won off the opponent. Whom is he supposed to win the point off, anyway, the ball boy?

elizabeth_c
02-01-2005, 04:28 AM
Hewitt doesn't cheer his opponents' errors, he celebrates winning a point, and unfortunately that point is won off the opponent. Whom is he supposed to win the point off, anyway, the ball boy?
thats very true..but i have seen him cheer his opponents errors many times....its just not nice...thats all! :eek:

lurker
02-01-2005, 04:56 AM
I, for one, love the way Hewitt competes. And I agree that he celebrates winning points, but more importantly, it's usually important points. I've seen him live and I've watched matches while ignoring the commentators, and if I wasn't listening to them constantly ragging on him, I wouldn't notice that he was doing anything bad. Contrast this with Maria Sharapova, who fist pumps and yells vamos and cmon whenever her opponents make errors. She does this even when she is ahead in the match...see her match against Farina Elia and the one against Serena. Then she pouts whenever her opponents hit a shot she returns with an error. Talks about unsportsmanlike. The commentators don't bag her on this because her sports agent keeps a lid on the bad press for her.

For those who haven't realized this, the only reason Hewitt's antics bother you is because the media tells you it does. If they pointed out constantly during Maria's matches those little things she does, sooner or later she'd develop the same reputation. But luckily for her, the agency representing her is not letting that happen.

elizabeth_c
02-01-2005, 05:21 AM
i have seen hewitt live as well at the USO...i do enjoy watching him play..but i think he can be a little hostile towards the other players...

LeeHesh
02-01-2005, 05:44 AM
Hewitt's behavior now isn't any worse that Agassi's during his heydey as a hell-raiser.
I can even like Hewitt a little bit since he at least shows a passion for all events, unlike the old Agassi who refused to go to Australia until the 90s and also Wimbledon. I used to HATE him then. Now, he's matured and is a player I can't help but admire.

I think Hewitt will become better with age. The only thing I worry about is how this rebound marriage thing is going ot affect his game.

elizabeth_c
02-01-2005, 05:48 AM
Hewitt's behavior now isn't any worse that Agassi's during his heydey as a hell-raiser.
I can even like Hewitt a little bit since he at least shows a passion for all events, unlike the old Agassi who refused to go to Australia until the 90s and also Wimbledon. I used to HATE him then. Now, he's matured and is a player I can't help but admire.

I think Hewitt will become better with age. The only thing I worry about is how this rebound marriage thing is going ot affect his game.oh YEAH.... i remember andre in those days..with his LONG HAIR......i think marriage may hurt hewitts game........and i hope you are right about maturing with age!! :cool:

bad gambler
02-01-2005, 06:56 AM
hewitt is a top bloke

what i don't quite understand is this outcry with repsct to his fist pumping and c'mon's - the guys leaves everything on court, plays with passion and he may be going over the top at times but that's hewitt, wears his heart on his sleeve

having said that i by no way condone what he did to the linesman, singling him out like that when in fact he made the correct call. clearly the pressure got to him at that stage. other than that it's all good

all this hewitt bashing in someways makes me feel sorry for all the roddick supporters on this thread because now i know how you guys feel for 365 days of the year when u visit MTF

by the way safin can definitely bust a few moves based on what i saw on sunday night after his win

au_sports_opinion
02-01-2005, 06:58 AM
thats very true..but i have seen him cheer his opponents errors many times....its just not nice...thats all! :eek:

However there are very few that play like him that make you hit 15 shots in a rally. Break you down to the point of error. What I'm saying is unforced errors against Hewitt are more so forced errors than against others because he doesn't have alot of weaponary all he has is to ware you down so you cark it and hit one into the net. Hence the C'mon after so called unforced errors is understandable for him.

tennisvideos
02-01-2005, 07:02 AM
However there are very few that play like him that make you hit 15 shots in a rally. Break you down to the point of error. What I'm saying is unforced errors against Hewitt are more so forced errors than against others because he doesn't have alot of weaponary all he has is to ware you down so you cark it and hit one into the net. Hence the C'mon after so called unforced errors is understandable for him.

Very well said and all too true! :)

Ferrero Forever
02-01-2005, 07:15 AM
I never said that Hewitt wasn't a good player. I love how he plays, he is a fantastic player. But i cannot stand the way he carries on. When hewitt deserves criticism i'll give it to him. But it's not going to stop me from considering him my least favourite player.

Lee
02-01-2005, 07:15 AM
lol, I'm trying to talk the bastards around.

Just a question for those that find Lleyton's screaming unbearable: Gustavo Kuerten seems to be one of the most loved players by the fans and he screams after every single one of his groundstrokes. Why doesn't he raise the ire of fans like Hewitt does? If you want to talk about annoying, what could be more annoying than the sounds of a guy moaning like he does during points.

Personally I don't mind it, but I also don't mid Hewitt's screaming, but for those that take issue with Lleyton, I wonder how they feel about Gustavo.

Groaning when you hit the ball during the point is a total different issue of yelling after the point is finished.

May be that's my TaeKwonDo training. I am taught to yell hard when I hit as the yelling helps in breathing, power, concentration, etc. But it's not very sportsmanlike to yell after you hit your opponent.

btw, I'm a Guga fan and I never feel his groaning annoying. I'm not a fan of Hewitt but I don't have problems with his C'mon either. :shrug:

Neely
02-01-2005, 08:14 AM
Very good post, bad gambler! :yeah:
lots of true things you said, I could hardly agree more with you :worship:

@FanOfHewitt
For me, it's a bit different: I don't mind Lleyton's C'MONs or other yellings because he does it after the point is finished. But Guga's and other players' groaning is really getting on my nerves occassionally and it is very annoying :retard: :retard: sometimes more than other times... besides I find it even more irritating because it happens while the point is played... :tape: Sharapova and Serena are just another example :smash: well, I could see the point of groaning when hitting a powerful or difficult shot, hitting a serve or a smash, but I will never understand why they have to do it with every stroke, Sharapova even does it when she slices the ball :tape: :cuckoo: .. the funny thing is that she can play as well when she is not groaning :rolleyes:
BTW, I don't have a problem if all players just celebrated their points in any way after the points were over, the annoying thing here IMO is definitely the annoyingly high and constant sound level that is going on during the points.

*SKYE*
02-01-2005, 08:57 AM
:worship: federer express :worship:

TheMightyFed
02-01-2005, 09:20 AM
Yeah but with that kind of defensive strategy you should keep a low profile because you are not the one who really take the risks at the end... I wonder why defensive guys like Coria or Hewitt are so unsympathetic... maybe they are frustrated not to do more winners... but the good side is that other players like Safin and Federer look even cooler...

Hewitt_Rules
02-01-2005, 09:31 AM

Well said mate :hatoff: As a football fan I find it hilarious when people claim Hewitt is poorly behaved and a bad sportsman. Have these guys ever watched an Arsenal v Manchester United match? Some of the incidents that take part on a football pitch would have these guys :eek:
People are always saying to me Tennis is a sport for wimps. I don't agree, but judging by how many people are offended by a few "Come ons" there's no doubt a lot of it's followers are just that.

TheMightyFed
02-01-2005, 09:44 AM
Navratilova's take on Hewitt's antics: "It offends me. I mean you just don't do that. It's not sportsmanlike and it's not respectful to your opponent. I understand pumping yourself up but not to the detriment of your opponent ... but when James Blake gets offended you know something's up. [Juan Ignacio] Chela, same thing, he's really laid back. It's going to come to fisticuffs one day either on the court or in the locker room. There's a line you don't cross, and he's crossing it."

Jackie
02-01-2005, 10:08 AM
Well said mate :hatoff: As a football fan I find it hilarious when people claim Hewitt is poorly behaved and a bad sportsman. Have these guys ever watched an Arsenal v Manchester United match? Some of the incidents that take part on a football pitch would have these guys :eek:
People are always saying to me Tennis is a sport for wimps. I don't agree, but judging by how many people are offended by a few "Come ons" there's no doubt a lot of it's followers are just that.

I agree 100%

Hewitt_Rules
02-01-2005, 10:11 AM
Who cares what Navratilova thinks? She's a bore, if all players were like her I wouldn't be watching. The likes of Hewitt, Safin and Ivanisevic are the the kind of players we need. They are characters on and off court. I don't think anyone will miss Navrat and her (lack of) personality when she decides to walk away from the game.
I can't believe people are accusing Hewtt of racism. The word "racist" is thrown around far too much these days. I'm surprised you aren't accusing him of racism simply for defeating Blake. One of Hewitt's idols is Tiger Woods, so cut the racism crap. Stop trying to bring his reputation down with false accustions.

Jackie
02-01-2005, 10:18 AM
LOL at the Natratilova comments. Who cares what she thinks? She is among the world's most boring commentators

TheMightyFed
02-01-2005, 10:21 AM
The word "racist" is thrown around far too much these days. I'm surprised you aren't accusing him of racism simply for defeating Blake.
The "similarity" incident is just crap. It's interesting that you take football as an example, a sport where racism is becoming a real disease, with fans throwing peanuts on black players and imitating monkeys. Maybe you'd like that to happen in Wimbledon ? Believe me, we never talk too much about racism. But one thing is sure is that Hewitt is very consistent: arrogance, disrespect, racism, all these things are made from the same material: sillyness.
If Navratilova, one of the greatest and most experienced player, whatever you think, says that Hewitt crosses the line, we should listen...

FanOfHewitt
02-01-2005, 10:34 AM
The "similarity" incident is just crap. It's interesting that you take football as an example, a sport where racism is becoming a real disease, with fans throwing peanuts on black players and imitating monkeys. Maybe you'd like that to happen in Wimbledon ? Believe me, we never talk too much about racism. But one thing is sure is that Hewitt is very consistent: arrogance, disrespect, racism, all these things are made from the same material: sillyness.
If Navratilova, one of the greatest and most experienced player, whatever you think, says that Hewitt crosses the line, we should listen...

And if Agassi, Safin and Federer say what he does is ok we should ignore them....

FanOfHewitt
02-01-2005, 10:40 AM
Groaning when you hit the ball during the point is a total different issue of yelling after the point is finished.

May be that's my TaeKwonDo training. I am taught to yell hard when I hit as the yelling helps in breathing, power, concentration, etc. But it's not very sportsmanlike to yell after you hit your opponent.

btw, I'm a Guga fan and I never feel his groaning annoying. I'm not a fan of Hewitt but I don't have problems with his C'mon either. :shrug:

You'd think in a sport that doesn't allow the crowd to talk in between points that any noise that occurs during points would be considered a bigger distraction to the opponent than some noise than comes after a point.

There is analogies both ways with other sports. If you look at a sport like fencing, or table tennis they go crazy after every point is played.

In other sports, e.g. boxing, you don't celebrate after you land a punch (unless you are Kostya Tszyu becuase it most likely means the end of the fight), but you can yell, grunt whatever during the fight.

Ferrero Forever
02-01-2005, 10:41 AM
ooh mdhuburt, i DO NOT like your avatar, it's horrid

TheMightyFed
02-01-2005, 10:44 AM
ooh mdhuburt, i DO NOT like your avatar, it's horrid
I know, that's why I love it. Fitness is everything in tennis... :)

FanOfHewitt
02-01-2005, 10:45 AM
Very good post, bad gambler! :yeah:
lots of true things you said, I could hardly agree more with you :worship:

@FanOfHewitt
For me, it's a bit different: I don't mind Lleyton's C'MONs or other yellings because he does it after the point is finished. But Guga's and other players' groaning is really getting on my nerves occassionally and it is very annoying :retard: :retard: sometimes more than other times... besides I find it even more irritating because it happens while the point is played... :tape: Sharapova and Serena are just another example :smash: well, I could see the point of groaning when hitting a powerful or difficult shot, hitting a serve or a smash, but I will never understand why they have to do it with every stroke, Sharapova even does it when she slices the ball :tape: :cuckoo: .. the funny thing is that she can play as well when she is not groaning :rolleyes:
BTW, I don't have a problem if all players just celebrated their points in any way after the points were over, the annoying thing here IMO is definitely the annoyingly high and constant sound level that is going on during the points.

Yeah I agree Neely, I think its less distracting to an opponent to yell after the point is over. Though ultimately Kuerten doesn't really bother me and I don't hate him at all for grunting.

TheMightyFed
02-01-2005, 10:48 AM
There is analogies both ways with other sports. If you look at a sport like fencing, or table tennis they go crazy after every point is played.

True, I was watching table tennis in Athens and the South Korean Olympic champion was shouting like crazy at every point won, that was far too much. The Hewitt of table tennis exists, he's from South Korea ! Honestly I think it distracts the opponent too much ...

FanOfHewitt
02-01-2005, 10:50 AM
True, I was watching table tennis in Athens and the South Korean Olympic champion was shouting like crazy at every point won, that was far too much. The Hewitt of table tennis exists, he's from South Korea ! Honestly I think it distracts the opponent too much ...

Yeah I was watching the Athens games too. Great mens final by the way. But I felt both the Chinese guy and South Korean guy were going off big time. Personally I loved it.

TheMightyFed
02-01-2005, 10:54 AM
And if Agassi, Safin and Federer say what he does is ok we should ignore them....

Yes but they are in a position where they have to look like they are not bothered, that's normal, otherwise he would yell even more, plus they have beaten him already, it's easier for them to say that...

Hewitt_Rules
02-01-2005, 11:15 AM

Racism in football only happens in places like Spain and Italy. Racism in English football has been dead for many years. Why should we listen to Navratilova? She clearly doesn't care about the spectators of the sport, the one's who pay her wages. How can someone as entertaining as Hewitt be bad for the sport? Martina needs to stop looking from her selfish point of view and see that for viewers of the sport Hewitt is a ratings winner.
Martina just thinks of the players, well, watching a Chang - Bjorkman match might be a great example of politeness and sportsmanship but it is also an utter bore of a match to watch from a theatrical point of view.

TheMightyFed
02-01-2005, 11:36 AM
Racism in football only happens in places like Spain and Italy.
Fortunately Prince William doesn't attend football games with his uniform... ;)

TheMightyFed
02-01-2005, 11:39 AM
Racism in football only happens in places like Spain and Italy. Racism in English football has been dead for many years. Why should we listen to Navratilova? She clearly doesn't care about the spectators of the sport, the one's who pay her wages. How can someone as entertaining as Hewitt be bad for the sport? Martina needs to stop looking from her selfish point of view and see that for viewers of the sport Hewitt is a ratings winner.
Martina just thinks of the players, well, watching a Chang - Bjorkman match might be a great example of politeness and sportsmanship but it is also an utter bore of a match to watch from a theatrical point of view.
What the hell do you have with Martina, she stole you your girlfriend or what ? :lol:

Riley Finn
02-01-2005, 11:49 AM
I'm gona give him a break...take a break from tennis Hewee!

*SKYE*
02-01-2005, 11:56 AM
Who cares what Navratilova thinks? She's a bore, if all players were like her I wouldn't be watching. The likes of Hewitt, Safin and Ivanisevic are the the kind of players we need. They are characters on and off court. I don't think anyone will miss Navrat and her (lack of) personality when she decides to walk away from the game.
I can't believe people are accusing Hewtt of racism. The word "racist" is thrown around far too much these days. I'm surprised you aren't accusing him of racism simply for defeating Blake. One of Hewitt's idols is Tiger Woods, so cut the racism crap. Stop trying to bring his reputation down with false accustions.

OMG, one of the best 10 lines ive ever read on mtf.
I HATE navratilova, hewitt and safin and others like them do make Tennis more interesting and I agree with u in saying Hewitt is NOT racist :)
VerY Well Said. :wavey:

Hagar
02-01-2005, 12:10 PM
I, for one, love the way Hewitt competes. And I agree that he celebrates winning points, but more importantly, it's usually important points. I've seen him live and I've watched matches while ignoring the commentators, and if I wasn't listening to them constantly ragging on him, I wouldn't notice that he was doing anything bad. Contrast this with Maria Sharapova, who fist pumps and yells vamos and cmon whenever her opponents make errors. She does this even when she is ahead in the match...see her match against Farina Elia and the one against Serena. Then she pouts whenever her opponents hit a shot she returns with an error. Talks about unsportsmanlike. The commentators don't bag her on this because her sports agent keeps a lid on the bad press for her.

For those who haven't realized this, the only reason Hewitt's antics bother you is because the media tells you it does. If they pointed out constantly during Maria's matches those little things she does, sooner or later she'd develop the same reputation. But luckily for her, the agency representing her is not letting that happen.

I've seen Hewitt live twice and I never had the feeling he tries to rub it in the face of his opponents. Really, the guy is completely within himself and his game when he plays. The "Come on"'s are about winning a point, that's all.

I find Sharapova 100 times more irritating than Lleyton.

Meeek
02-01-2005, 01:31 PM
Racism in football only happens in places like Spain and Italy.

Not true. In much more places. Holland for example, at some matches.

Yeah...off topic, but I thought I'd say that... erm...yeah... :rolleyes:

star
02-01-2005, 02:08 PM
. Why should we listen to Navratilova?

Why indeed? Martina was not a model of sportsmanship during her career. She cried (yes litteraly cried with tears running down her cheeks) during matches when things didn't go her way. She complained bitterly about calls against her and was more than happy to take advantage of a terrible call on match point against Chris Evert (who Nav always counted as her friend) in order to win the match. There was also the time that as Martina's coach/trainer/girlfriend Nancy Lieberman was escorting Martina from the court while Martina was sobbing that Nancy pushed the cameraman and yelled at him. That was a lovely graceful charming moment.

I get so sick of these players who weren't saints complaining about the behavior of today's youngsters. I think that all in all there's much better behavior from the male players today than there was during the 80's.

I mean, maybe Borg or Edberg or Mats or Evert would have some ground to stand on if they were to comment on bad behavior, but the rest just need to shut up.

Kristen
02-01-2005, 02:12 PM
I wonder how many people fit on the ignore list... (and yes, I did intend to write in this thread ;))

Socket
02-01-2005, 03:05 PM
Martina is a hypocrite. I remember very vividly her praising Jimmy Connors for his on-court antics during the 1991 US Open, including his attacks on the chair umpires, which Martina thought were great theater and wonderful for the fans. Guess I have a better memory than she does.

Cervantes
02-01-2005, 03:20 PM
Anyone that is offended by a few come ons should switch to watching ballet.

I am offended by those few come ons, and here's why: during the Safin-Hewitt matched I noticed a pattern in the come ons. When Safin hit an unforced error to give Hewitt breakpoint Hewitt was shouting and pumping himself up. Annoying, but ok, let's just say that's his style of play. In the same match there's was also a long rally with Hewitt getting back a smash and ending the point with a clean winner past Safin, giving him another breakpoint. Well that should be something to get excited about, but all of sudden there's no come on. Why?

It seems to me most come ons occur when the opponent makes a mistake instead of when Hewitt hits a winner. So is it a way to pump himself up or is it a mental game? I think it's a bit of both and therefore it annoys me.

TheMightyFed
02-01-2005, 03:47 PM
I am offended by those few come ons, and here's why: during the Safin-Hewitt matched I noticed a pattern in the come ons. When Safin hit an unforced error to give Hewitt breakpoint Hewitt was shouting and pumping himself up. Annoying, but ok, let's just say that's his style of play. In the same match there's was also a long rally with Hewitt getting back a smash and ending the point with a clean winner past Safin, giving him another breakpoint. Well that should be something to get excited about, but all of sudden there's no come on. Why?

It seems to me most come ons occur when the opponent makes a mistake instead of when Hewitt hits a winner. So is it a way to pump himself up or is it a mental game? I think it's a bit of both and therefore it annoys me.
Very easy to understand as every childish behaviour: after an unforced error, the opponent feels weak and vulnerable, so the effect of a "c'mooon" is like salt on scars, it reinforces the pain. When Hewitt hits a winner, the guy knows he couldn't get the ball, so he's not as pissed off. But Lleyton c'mons sometimes as well in this situation...
I saw him yelling as well in front of Moya at the end of the match (Masters Cup), that was lack of respect for the beaten opponent.

elizabeth_c
02-01-2005, 05:43 PM
Yes but they are in a position where they have to look like they are not bothered, that's normal, otherwise he would yell even more, plus they have beaten him already, it's easier for them to say that...
i agree..what else are agassi and safin and fed gonna say..that hewitt BOTHERS them??? i don't think so..hewitt might like that.... :eek:

Jackie
02-01-2005, 11:47 PM
Very easy to understand as every childish behaviour: after an unforced error, the opponent feels weak and vulnerable, so the effect of a "c'mooon" is like salt on scars, it reinforces the pain. When Hewitt hits a winner, the guy knows he couldn't get the ball, so he's not as pissed off. But Lleyton c'mons sometimes as well in this situation...
I saw him yelling as well in front of Moya at the end of the match (Masters Cup), that was lack of respect for the beaten opponent.

I think there is more to the Hewitt/Moya situation than Lleyton's on-court behaviour. Last time Australia played Spain in Davis Cup, Moya made the mistake of getting himself involved in an old battle [comments RE: the Barcelona final. Can't remember what he said. Will have to look for the article]. Moya has also made some bitchy comments about Hewitt both before and after beating him in other tournaments

iluvcandy227
02-02-2005, 02:27 AM
I think there is more to the Hewitt/Moya situation than Lleyton's on-court behaviour. Last time Australia played Spain in Davis Cup, Moya made the mistake of getting himself involved in an old battle [comments RE: the Barcelona final. Can't remember what he said. Will have to look for the article]. Moya has also made some bitchy comments about Hewitt both before and after beating him in other tournaments

well i dont blame moya for makin bitchy comments at hewitt

Jackie
02-02-2005, 02:51 AM
I've seen Hewitt live twice and I never had the feeling he tries to rub it in the face of his opponents. Really, the guy is completely within himself and his game when he plays. The "Come on"'s are about winning a point, that's all.

I find Sharapova 100 times more irritating than Lleyton.

Lol. I can only watch Sharapova play with my TV set to mute

TheMightyFed
02-02-2005, 09:40 AM
Lol. I can only watch Sharapova play with my TV set to mute
Could someone shut her mouth ! This is a shame, is there anyone in WTA who can address this ? :mad: :mad: :mad:

federer express
02-06-2005, 01:03 AM
hewitt will be missed when he is gone. even the ppl that say they hate him. they should just see him as a good villain and enjoy the fact that there is a player they can bitch about so much! his game and matches are good enough by themselves, but the fact that he celebrates the way he does and has bad blood with some other players just makes him even more watchable! and could not agree more about sharapova. again, love her fight and competitive instinct..and have always made money betting on her matches, but the noise is a bit excessive and exceeds any noise hewitt has ever made on a tennis court. and she makes it after every single shot! apart from when she decides to give everyone's ears a rest and play a few quiet points. and she could not be less gracious in defeat or victory!!

federer express
02-06-2005, 01:27 AM
watched the ljubicic/stepanek match. ivan could have done with lleyton's attitude!!

star
02-06-2005, 02:09 AM

I've seen Lleyton play in person several times over several years, and I agree he hardly give notice to his opponent. He's totally focused on himself and the people in his box. He just radiates an intensity on the court and his shouting is all part of that.

Btw, I saw him play doubles with Rafter once against Eagle and Florent. They were all laughing at Lleyton for his come ons. He was still a skinny little kid then. :)

marilag
02-06-2005, 02:32 AM
he hardly give notice to his opponent. He's totally focused on himself and the people in his box. He just radiates an intensity on the court and his shouting is all part of that.

True.

But, I guess, if you're determined to dislike someone, you will find all the reasons in the world to do so.

Chloe le Bopper
02-06-2005, 08:23 AM
And if you are determined to like somebody, you will do everything you can to excuse their behaviour... no matter what it happens to be.

foul_dwimmerlaik
02-06-2005, 08:43 AM
I like Lleyton, but I'm first to admit that he has a... controversial personality, to put it politely. That's half the fun with him though. I don't think he needs to change anything.

Yasmine
02-06-2005, 08:52 AM
But, I guess, if you're determined to dislike someone, you will find all the reasons in the world to do so.
It goes both ways I suppose, and it's rare that people actually try to be impartial about any player... :rolleyes:

Jackie
02-06-2005, 10:10 AM
I've seen Lleyton play in person several times over several years, and I agree he hardly give notice to his opponent. He's totally focused on himself and the people in his box. He just radiates an intensity on the court and his shouting is all part of that.

Btw, I saw him play doubles with Rafter once against Eagle and Florent. They were all laughing at Lleyton for his come ons. He was still a skinny little kid then. :)

I, too have seen him play quite a few times and he only seems to give any notice to his opponent at the end of the match when they shake hands

marilag
02-06-2005, 07:57 PM
It goes both ways I suppose, and it's rare that people actually try to be impartial about any player... :rolleyes:

I don't think they're that rare --- the rest are just noisier, that's all. :))

star
02-06-2005, 08:01 PM
:lol:

Yasmine
02-06-2005, 08:24 PM
I don't think they're that rare --- the rest are just noisier, that's all. :))
definitely! :lol: you don't need many people to turn a thread in a chaos do you? :devil:

federer express
07-16-2005, 02:26 AM
Excuse me for bringing my own thread back from the dead but thought it applied again now. Just wanted to see a pro-hewitt thread on the first page of the board :p

NYCtennisfan
07-16-2005, 03:50 AM
When I played, the mantra was, "Respect the game, respect your opponent."

federer express
07-16-2005, 03:54 AM
When I played, the mantra was, "Respect the game, respect your opponent."

so whats your view on the following:

johhny mac
connors
safin
rios
agassi
lendl

not to mention countless others.....

Chloe le Bopper
07-16-2005, 04:22 AM
Excuse me for bringing my own thread back from the dead but thought it applied again now. Just wanted to see a pro-hewitt thread on the first page of the board :p
You couldn't have a picked a worse time. :p Hewitt acts like a complete asshat. Some of us would rather call it as it is than act like this is totally acceptable behaviour. That said, I think it's amusing that he's a big turd.

federer express
07-16-2005, 04:27 AM
You couldn't have a picked a worse time. :p Hewitt acts like a complete asshat. Some of us would rather call it as it is than act like this is totally acceptable behaviour. That said, I think it's amusing that he's a big turd.

hewitt didn't invent acting like an ass on court. he hasn't even mastered the art of it. i just think ppl are too easily offended. reminds me of tv viewers who write in to complain. its a mans game, not a gentlemans. the noise sharapova makes on court, or monfils for that matter is more irritating and probably more off putting to opponents. hewitt doesn't do anything unsporting during the points so i dont have a problem with it.

complaints when there's no passion...complaints there is too much

hewitt's actions may disturb but at least there's a reaction!

Chloe le Bopper
07-16-2005, 04:29 AM
It seems that you're the one who is offended ;)

federer express
07-16-2005, 04:32 AM
It seems that you're the one who is offended ;)

nah not at all. just saying i would sooner complain about a player making noise during the point, 2 seconds after hitting a shot than someone saying c'mon at the end of the point. i have never watched a tennis match and been disgusted by the way a player behaved. maybe thats just me. but i do take exception to the myth propagated on this board that hewitt is the devil and everyone else one of the harp playing angels! :devil:

Chloe le Bopper
07-16-2005, 04:37 AM
than someone saying c'mon at the end of the point.

If that was all that Hewitt did, perhaps I would see your point. When several of his fellow players have came forward and complained about his behaviour or nearly gotten into an altraction of some sort with him, one is left with no other option than to consider the possibility that hey, maybe Hewitt is an asshat! This is all pertaining ot his character on court, of course. He could be prince charming off court for all I know or care.

Ultimately, you your panties in a twist because people happen to be discussing a perfectly reasonable topic. If none of the other players had anything to say about Hewitt, then you might have a point.

That said, I wouldn't say that I personally am "offended" or "disgusted" by his behaviour. I think that he's absurd and hilarious. But I'm merely a viewer - I don't have to play him :)

Now I'm rambling, so I shall stop.

federer express
07-16-2005, 04:40 AM
Now I'm rambling, so I shall stop.

good call :p

just my view thatthere are greater displays of a lack of respect than hewitt ever shows his opponent. what about players throwing matches for example. thats the ultimate display of disrespect to the guy on the other side of the court. but ppl aren't berating safin or rios ad infinitum.

ultimately it boils down to this in my view...

people who like hewitt will excuse or not be bothered by his behaviour.
those who dont will choose to be offended by it.

its all choices chloe :p

Chloe le Bopper
07-16-2005, 04:46 AM
good call :p

just my view thatthere are greater displays of a lack of respect than hewitt ever shows his opponent. what about players throwing matches for example. thats the ultimate display of disrespect to the guy on the other side of the court. but ppl aren't berating safin or rios ad infinitum.

Lot's of people do berate Safin. The only reason that more people don't berate him for being a petulant twat from time to time is that he's considered to be very attractive. This double standard has been discussed at great length in many a thread.

Rios has retired. Why on earth should people STILL be berating him? He received more than his fair share of criticism in his day.

people who like hewitt will excuse or not be bothered by his behaviour.
those who dont will choose to be offended by it.

Excusing his behaviour (when he acts extreme, which he doesn't usually) is irrational. Not being bothered by it fine.

Many who don't like Hewitt all that much won't necessarily be offended by his behavior.

You are generalizing. There are far more choices than you have presented here.

federer express
07-16-2005, 04:49 AM
Rios has retired. Why on earth should people STILL be berating him? He received more than his fair share of criticism in his day.

Excusing his behaviour (when he acts extreme, which he doesn't usually) is irrational. Not being bothered by it fine.

Many who don't like Hewitt all that much won't necessarily be offended by his behavior.

You are generalizing. There are far more choices than you have presented here.

there are more choices, but i'm a lazy typer

federer express
07-16-2005, 04:53 AM
talking of players complaining about hewitt. the reaon for that is obvious having played many ppl like him in the past myself.

he is the little kid u think u should beat. he cant hit the ball as hard as you. he doesn't hit the awesome parent pleasing winners from out of nowhere. he doesn't have style or flair. but damn this kid wont miss and he runs everything down. damn him he gets everything back and i miss. u feel like u are losing rather than him winning and as u get frustrated by this, the little shite at the other end of the court is pumping his fist and screaming pretending to be rocky. u wanna kick his ass. but u wanna kick it ultimately because he is beating u. the rest is secondary!

Chloe le Bopper
07-16-2005, 04:55 AM
he is the little kid u think u should beat.

I believe that the respect he has amongst his peers is MUCH greater than this. This may have been true when he was a 15 year old trying to quality for the Australian Open. It's hardly the case today.

Chloe le Bopper
07-16-2005, 04:55 AM
Anyways, I was mistaken. Socket is not the biggest Hewitt apologist ever. That would be you. :p

I think that I'm done here. That last post was ridiculous :p

federer express
07-16-2005, 04:58 AM
Anyways, I was mistaken. Socket is not the biggest Hewitt apologist ever. That would be you. :p

I think that I'm done here. That last post was ridiculous :p

the last post was supposed to be amusing (but with a serious element)

am by no means a hewitt apologist. have u ever seen me moan about anybody's behaviour on court? no...these things just dont bother me.

Chloe le Bopper
07-16-2005, 04:59 AM
That post was ridiculous if it was meant to contain any serious element whatsoever. Seriously, read what the other guys have to say about Hewitt as a player. Nobody knocks his game.

federer express
07-16-2005, 05:01 AM
That post was ridiculous if it was meant to contain any serious element whatsoever. Seriously, read what the other guys have to say about Hewitt as a player. Nobody knocks his game.

yeah maybe but i dont base my opinion on anyone or anything according to what others say. i go by what i see and in hewitt's case i haven't seen anything that offends me.

federer express
07-16-2005, 05:02 AM
out of interest...any examples of federer slating his on-court behaviour?

ugotlobbed
07-16-2005, 06:06 AM
yea i dont mind hewitt he is good for the game

Ferrero Forever
07-16-2005, 06:25 AM
My opinion is that Hewitt sucks, he was downright rude yesterday. Coria rules, though he complained a lot but I like that about him because I like to complain too when things don't go my way. But that match yesterday was so funny so I'm prepared to just laugh at what went on and keep watching the match over and over to see all that funny stuff happen. The next time hewitt starts with his c'mons and the match isn't that funny I'll be cursing hewitt something shocking. VAMOS GUILLE!!!

KimKong
07-16-2005, 09:01 AM
On other hand, hewitt killed coria...so HEWITT OWNS U ALL! *except federer of course!!*

trixtah
07-16-2005, 09:24 AM
On other hand, hewitt killed coria...so HEWITT OWNS U ALL! *except federer of course!!*
that was the most useless post i've ever read, and the topic starter obviously hasnt watched the davis cup between coria and hewitt

KimKong
07-16-2005, 09:34 AM
maybe im a little hard with my 'killed' geez, calm down people.

Experimentee
07-16-2005, 09:40 AM
The Hewitt apologists find nothing wrong with calling opponents poofs and telling them to fuck off? :scratch:

Black Adam
07-16-2005, 09:57 AM
The Hewitt apologists find nothing wrong with calling opponents poofs and telling them to fuck off? :scratch:
Whatya expect, their job is to make apologies and at the same time keep their amount of pride:)

sigmagirl91
07-16-2005, 12:22 PM

Not at all.

switz
07-16-2005, 02:00 PM
ok i'll try :) i felt sorry for him watching him try to play doubles with Arthurs

NYCtennisfan
07-17-2005, 02:05 AM
so whats your view on the following:

johhny mac
connors
safin
rios
agassi
lendl

not to mention countless others.....

I've seen all of those players play live many times and I admire lots of things about them. I admire the tenacity and ferociousness with which Lleyton competes. I don't like it when linespeople, umpries, and opponents are showed up by ANYBODY, even if you do possess the greatest of all tennis ability like McEnroe and Rios had. Respect the game and respect your opponent.

sigmagirl91
07-17-2005, 02:06 AM
Right now, David's not giving him any breaks!!

federer express
07-17-2005, 02:10 AM
Right now, David's not giving him any breaks!!

just gave him one :p

Iheartandy&roger
07-17-2005, 02:16 AM
Yeah i'll give Hewitt a break......
http://discord.dyndns.org/gallery/TrackPics/injuries/broken-leg-cast-01.jpg

mitalidas
07-17-2005, 02:18 AM
Yeah i'll give Hewitt a break just like I gave Rogi a break :devil: they can join each other in the break lounge....

Iheart,
you have to go finish your salad and leftover steak(?) and potatoes

NATAS81
07-17-2005, 06:08 AM
I'm sure many Argentines are willing to oblige with the thread title - Over Lleyton's head with a tennis racquet and/or excruciatingly painful lead pipe.