Who is the biggest BRAT of Open Era ? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Who is the biggest BRAT of Open Era ?

TheMightyFed
01-31-2005, 03:27 PM
Among these players, who is the biggest BRAT of Open Era ?

jtipson
01-31-2005, 03:29 PM
Where's Nasty? ;)

Raquel
01-31-2005, 03:31 PM
Or even Agassi? He didn't always take bows and give the crowd kisses.

Sjengster
01-31-2005, 03:32 PM
Connors, surely. Wiping out ball marks on his opponent's side of the court, calling an umpire an abortion, miming sexual acts to the New York crowd? The others cannot hold a candle to him.

TheMightyFed
01-31-2005, 03:36 PM
Andre cannot contest with his "Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde" personnality...

TheMightyFed
01-31-2005, 03:37 PM
Where's Nasty? ;)
Could have mentioned him but I've never seen him play...

Raquel
01-31-2005, 03:39 PM
Andre cannot contest with his "Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde" personnality...
He spat at an umpire, called a Pakistani umpire a racist name, called officials "faggot" for years and during a Davis Cup match he caught an opponent's serve in his hand to embarrass the guy even further. And that's just a few I can remember.

Adman
01-31-2005, 03:39 PM
Ille Nastase was one of the biggest brats, but in the ATP now it has to Guillermo Coria.

TheMightyFed
01-31-2005, 03:42 PM
He spat at an umpire, called a Pakistani umpire a racist name and called officials "faggot" for years. And that's just a few I can remember.
You forgot the 01 Wimbledon lineswoman attack...
But still great in interviews and zen master in many occasions...
Coria is picking up as a brat, but in current crop, Hewitt is leading by far...

gsm
01-31-2005, 03:53 PM
Connors, surely. Wiping out ball marks on his opponent's side of the court, calling an umpire an abortion, miming sexual acts to the New York crowd? The others cannot hold a candle to him.

he is before my time , i did not know about that.

my dad has his autobiography , he enjoyed it. will be reading it soon , but i doubt he will be recalling the time he called the "umpire an abortion" etc...

rios was without question a BRAT by trade , hence my vote.

gsm
01-31-2005, 04:11 PM
You forgot the 01 Wimbledon lineswoman attack...
But still great in interviews and zen master in many occasions...
Coria is picking up as a brat, but in current crop, Hewitt is leading by far...

hewitt leads when you ignore racket smashing safin , the biggest brat of them all. safin not only smashes the joint up , he has bouts of appathy , which is about as bratty as you can get. still love him all the same.

i am going to bed now , it is nearly 0400 hrs!!!

Black Adam
01-31-2005, 04:39 PM
hewitt leads when you ignore racket smashing safin , the biggest brat of them all. safin not only smashes the joint up , he has bouts of appathy , which is about as bratty as you can get. still love him all the same.

i am going to bed now , it is nearly 0400 hrs!!!

he smashes rackets but he doesn't scream c'mon! on an oppoonent df or a let cord error ;)

Scotso
01-31-2005, 04:41 PM
Roddick.

elizabeth_c
01-31-2005, 04:43 PM
mcenroe....he was the worst! and for a long time, too... :devil:

tangerine_dream
01-31-2005, 04:49 PM

Agassi was much more an enfant terrible than a brat.

John McEnroe was the quintessential tennis brat.

Not even today's players could take the Brat crown away from him.

But then, nobody seems interested in being the new brat on the court these days.

tennischick
01-31-2005, 04:53 PM
when was Rios ever a brat? :confused: or maybe i have a different definition of brat. and if these guys qualify as brats then why isn't the Duck's name up there?

Aleksa's Laydee
01-31-2005, 04:57 PM
hewitt!

tangerine_dream
01-31-2005, 04:59 PM
To me, a brat is an innocuous rapscallion who does a lot of grandstanding and showboating for the sake of entertainment. That was McEnroe. He did everything tongue-in-cheek and you always felt that he was letting you in on the joke. His "arguments" with the umpires were often very funny and designed to just let off steam, stall, gamesmanship, and also entertain the crowd in-between points.

On the other hand, brat is not a word I would ever use to describe Jimmy Connors . He was too foul to be a brat. Asshole is the perfect word for him.

Nacho
01-31-2005, 04:59 PM
McEnroe by far

Eclectic Goddess
01-31-2005, 05:14 PM
None of those guys can hold a candle to Nastase, but I voted for McEnroe. Connors was more of a jerk than a brat, Lleyton is just obnoxious (Love him for it!), and Rios gave up to easy.

TheBoiledEgg
01-31-2005, 05:42 PM
McEnroe was more of a brat to get the crowd going
Connors was just plain Nasty, ugly a real Moron and some of the crowd liked it :rolleyes:

Agassi is more a crybaby than a brat
runs away when things are going wrong :rolleyes:

Ferrero was crushing him in RG
and a little bit of drizzle and he packs his bags without the umpire even suspending play and he just walks and he got away with it (not the 1st time he's done it :rolleyes: ) and ALL other matches carried on in the drizzle whilst he sulked.

CooCooCachoo
01-31-2005, 05:43 PM
Rios. My dislike for him has no limits.

tennischick
01-31-2005, 05:45 PM
so if you hate someone that qualifies him for being called a brat?

Eggy :lol: i remember that match. i was so embarassed for Agassi.

Clara Bow
01-31-2005, 06:15 PM
To me, a brat is an innocuous rapscallion who does a lot of grandstanding and showboating for the sake of entertainment. That was McEnroe. He did everything tongue-in-cheek and you always felt that he was letting you in on the joke. His "arguments" with the umpires were often very funny and designed to just let off steam, stall, gamesmanship, and also entertain the crowd in-between points.

On the other hand, brat is not a word I would ever use to describe Jimmy Connors . He was too foul to be a brat. Asshole is the perfect word for him.

Word- McEnroe was a pest and a pain in the neck- and could be very, very aggravating. Connors could just be flat out mean and foul.

MisterQ
01-31-2005, 06:22 PM
http://espn.go.com/media/ten/2000/0328/photo/mac.jpg http://sportsmed.starwave.com/media/inc/2000/0705/photo/c_mcenroe2.jpg

sigmagirl91
01-31-2005, 06:28 PM
http://espn.go.com/media/ten/2000/0328/photo/mac.jpg http://sportsmed.starwave.com/media/inc/2000/0705/photo/c_mcenroe2.jpg

Those look like toilet pics. Shit or get off the pot, Mac. :devil:

Jimena
01-31-2005, 06:42 PM
Oopsy. Double post. Never mind...

Jimena
01-31-2005, 06:46 PM

And the difference is???? :confused:

But then, nobody seems interested in being the new brat on the court these days.

I think both Hewitt and Roddick have been brats on the court at different points in time. Specially Hewitt.

I also disagree with you about McEnroe. I don't think he did those things tongue-in-cheek. He was mean and obnoxious, and he wasn't kidding around. He was an ass. And so was Connors.

*Ljubica*
01-31-2005, 07:08 PM

I second that Sjengster. I always loated and hated Connors :devil: McEnroe and Nastase were sweeties in comparison - at least they had some modicum of humour in their antics - Connors was just crass and classless :devil:

RonE
01-31-2005, 07:30 PM
I agree with Tangy and TBE- Connors and McEnroe cannot be compared. They were both infamous but for different reasons. Connors was plain obscene and an asshole who didn't give a rat's ass about anyone other than himself.

McEnroe was a brat in the sense that he was whining and stirring up a fuss for the above mentioned reasons- but privately he was a more sensitive and caring individual than Jimbo could ever hope to be :rolleyes:

Therefore, in the 'brat' category my vote goes to McEnroe.

Connors would win hands down against anyone else in the 'biggest asshole of all time' department.

Jenrios
01-31-2005, 07:55 PM
when was Rios ever a brat? or maybe i have a different definition of brat.

exactly! It's a myth Rios was badly behaved on court. OK, he may not have enjoyed press conferences and been co-operative, but at least what you see is what you get. I voted for Mac. hated the way he incited the crowd against lendl in the US all the time.

tangerine_dream
01-31-2005, 08:43 PM
And the difference is???? :confused:

The difference is that Agassi sent the tennis world over on its head not so much with his big mouth, temper tantrums, etc. but with his rock star image. When the McEnroe/Connors era was ending, many people were wondering, "Who can top those guys?" Well, along comes Andre with a power baseline game (a newfangled act back then), the long hair, the make-up, the earrings, the peacock clothes....his appearance was shocking and even offensive to the tennis elitists and he was tsked tsked mightily for constantly spitting in the face of revered tennis etiquette. IMO, Andre took the snobbishness out of tennis with his street clothes and brought it to the masses. :)

And for a while, he wouldn't play Wimbledon not only because he thought he couldn't win there but he also hated the all-white rule. He was, to put it mildly, a colorful character. He did a lot of things for shock-value back then. I always laugh whenever I see posts here by people who only know the 90s version of Andre. If only they'd experienced the 80s version....they missed out. lol. :lol:

howardean
01-31-2005, 09:14 PM
Rios. My dislike for him has no limits.

ditto, hence my vote