The fanatics - who are they? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

The fanatics - who are they?

joeb_uk
01-31-2005, 01:24 PM
Ok i know these were hewitts supporters, but who were they? his friends or just random fans?
it was really funny during the final when a couple of fans told them to shut up, they went quiet for quite a while after! :)

iluvcandy227
01-31-2005, 01:30 PM
there just a bunch of morons

joeb_uk
01-31-2005, 01:32 PM
People like that can sometimes ruin the match if you have to sit next to them. It reminds me of some the football like supporters, when i went to watch man utd - chelsea many years ago there was some tosser sitting infront of me (thoughout the whole match all he would do is swear and shout abuse, and make signs representing wanker everytime there was a mistake). I was only about 11 at the time, but i wanted to knock the crap out of him :D

iluvcandy227
01-31-2005, 01:34 PM
i remember when some dumb fan at a man utd match threw a cell phone at wayne rooney

Kristen
01-31-2005, 01:35 PM
It's an organised group... they have a website, and go to events in and outside of the country. Cricket, rugby, tennis etc. I call them the fanspastics though. Not being patriotic, I have no appreciation of them.

WyveN
01-31-2005, 01:47 PM
They dont know much about the sport to begin with so when they get drunk it becomes a real mess.

You know when people cheer a fault because they think its an ace, thats usually a drunk fanatic :lol:

As long as your not sitting next to them their not to bad and add to the atmosphere.

Auscon
01-31-2005, 01:58 PM
I dont know too much about them....had always heard they were very respectful out there...maybe not? I dunno

I think they started off following Pat around, and now Lleyton...both players loved the support and thrive off of it

Auscon
01-31-2005, 01:59 PM
i remember when some dumb fan at a man utd match threw a cell phone at wayne rooney

I dont think you'd ever catch one of the fanatics doing anything even remotely close to that sortof crap

Kristen
01-31-2005, 02:02 PM
Overall the fanatics are just your typical Aussie patriots... They can be bogan's at times, e.g. the Davis Cup incident with pimpim in Adelaide, but if you were a fan of the Australians, you'd probably enjoy cheering along with them. They are creative with their cheers, and with their creativity, I hope to see the death of:
"Aussie aussie aussie - oi oi oi
Aussie aussie aussie - oi oi oi
Aussie - oi
Aussie - oi
Aussie aussie aussie - oi oi oi"

Björki
01-31-2005, 02:03 PM
they are always respectful.
I was a member of the group few time. :)

Neely
01-31-2005, 02:07 PM
I don't think the Fanatics are bad or especially unfair. To me they just seem like awesome Aussie supporters and IMO it's a good idea to have had them here.

Auscon
01-31-2005, 02:13 PM
They are creative with their cheers, and with their creativity, I hope to see the death of:
"Aussie aussie aussie - oi oi oi
Aussie aussie aussie - oi oi oi
Aussie - oi
Aussie - oi
Aussie aussie aussie - oi oi oi"

NEVER! :)

well, maybe it could be a little less overused....still want it to be special :)

Elwing
01-31-2005, 02:21 PM
i heard another ..

Come on Leytton come on *clap clap clap*
come on leytton come on *clap clap clap*

I think that and the aussie one where the hits :rocker: !
I like to see ppl supporting the players like this, almost in every sport you have fans making noise, tennis was a little behind on that field and is cool to see it catching up, of course i hope they stay as respectfull as that, i would hate to watch how not only the supporting spirit tennis gets infected with but the violence of other sports as soccer...

Eruwen
01-31-2005, 02:38 PM
It's an organised group... they have a website, and go to events in and outside of the country. Cricket, rugby, tennis etc. I call them the fanspastics though. Not being patriotic, I have no appreciation of them. Were they that group dressed in yellow & green, the really loud ones? God they were annoying :rolleyes:

roisin
01-31-2005, 02:43 PM
i actually think they're pretty cool! obviously if they're not going for the player/team you're going for and you're sitting beside them they'd do your head in. my sister met some of them in a pub in dublin after the international rules series last year and she said they're mad! she stole 1 of their huge flags. its on my bedroom wall now ;)

gsm
01-31-2005, 02:53 PM
Were they that group dressed in yellow & green, the really loud ones? God they were annoying :rolleyes:

get used to them buddy , they are from here on a staple of the AO.

VISIT ; http://www.thefanatics.com/

the swedes have had a similar support group at the AO for years , have not heard any complaints about them.

the brits (at henmans match) , croats and greeks also had cheer squads this year.

I LOVE THE FANATICS!!! :worship: :worship: :worship:

Experimentee
01-31-2005, 02:59 PM
They are an organised group that cheer the Aussies. They sometimes get paid for their expenses to travel around the world, like to away DC ties.
I think they are ok as long as they are respectful. At the AO most countries have cheer squads that are loud, and it adds to the atmosphere.

Eruwen
01-31-2005, 03:43 PM
get used to them buddy , they are from here on a staple of the AO.

VISIT ; http://www.thefanatics.com/

the swedes have had a similar support group at the AO for years , have not heard any complaints about them.

the brits (at henmans match) , croats and greeks also had cheer squads this year.

I LOVE THE FANATICS!!! :worship: :worship: :worship: Well, the idea 'an sich' is pretty cool... but you can push it, you know? It wouldn't bother me at dc ties, cause to me that's part of what dc is about, but at 'regular' tournaments... it gets kinda annoying. But that's just my humble opinion ;)

adeegee
01-31-2005, 03:50 PM
i heard that hewitt paid out to get them seats to try and get them to build up the atmosphere at his matches....things are quite bad if your paying for your own fan club. apparently he got quite friendly with a few of them though

gsm
01-31-2005, 04:05 PM
i heard that hewitt paid out to get them seats to try and get them to build up the atmosphere at his matches....things are quite bad if your paying for your own fan club. apparently he got quite friendly with a few of them though

heard this , apparently that. doesnt hold water i am afraid.

Chloe le Bopper
01-31-2005, 04:48 PM
If it was true (and apparently it's not?) I would say that it's an awfull nice gesture.

Carito_90
01-31-2005, 05:09 PM
Yes I heard Lleyton paid for the fanatic's seats at his matches etc.

Adman
01-31-2005, 05:37 PM
All those guys in yellow at the AO were Lleyton fans he got them tickets for everyone of his matches so they would get the crowd roaring and cheering for Lleyton.

Horatio Caine
01-31-2005, 05:48 PM
Fanatics of any kind are quite amusing - I remember going to a Davis Cup match GB v RSA and the RSA fanatics were absolutely mad! It made for an entertaining day. But yeah - some can be idiots.

tennisinparis
01-31-2005, 05:58 PM

oh..so you are a part of them? congrats.

ae wowww
01-31-2005, 07:22 PM
Yeah they're not morons, they're great! They just go all Aussie sports events don't they, in yellow!

Lisbeth
01-31-2005, 11:46 PM
They pre-existed Hewitt. They started as an Australian Davis Cup cheering squad, particularly at away ties, and diversified into slams during the Rafter era. I think anyone can join - never felt the need myself ;)

iluvcandy227
01-31-2005, 11:49 PM
oh..so you are a part of them? congrats.

funny, not but i think you would fit in pretty well with them

Socket
02-01-2005, 12:17 AM
What I heard was that, last year, Tennis Australia decided that the Fanatics couldn't buy a block of seats together to cheer on Aussie players, although TA had no problems with the Greeks, Croats, and Swedes buying ticket blocks. This year, TA did the same thing, and they appealed to Lleyton to help them out, and he had his management company buy a block of seats for the entire fortnight (which he paid for to the tune of $10,000). He wanted to pay them back not just for supporting him, but also for their Davis Cup support, including all the away ties. Nice gesture on his part.

Action Jackson
02-01-2005, 12:24 AM
Socket for a start you are way off the mark about TA giving approval to buy blocks of seats for Croats, Greeks, Swedish fans. They actually should allow that a small section of the seats reserved, but they don't. It's either done through someone buying the seats together in the section either player or coach, but TA does not allow seperate sections for them.

The Fanatics I don't have a problem with them usually, then again I am always going for the person that they are cheering against, well nearly always. The best thing they ever did was ban "Aussie Aussie Oi Oi" from their chants.

Socket
02-01-2005, 12:51 AM
The point is that the other fan groups got to do something that the Fanatics could not, and it was TA that made the rules.

Action Jackson
02-01-2005, 12:57 AM
The point is that the other fan groups got to do something that the Fanatics could not, and it was TA that made the rules.

You don't get the point actually. Just to clear this up TA don't allow it for any group not just the Fanatics. Try coming to the Aus Open one time and you'll see what I mean. How the other fans do it is pretty much how I explained it and they don't get any help from TA.

As for Hewitt paying for blocks of tickets for them I don't have a problem with that at all and it's not like they are a recent part of the tennis world.

Jackie
02-01-2005, 01:01 AM
[QUOTE=WyveN]They dont know much about the sport to begin with so when they get drunk it becomes a real mess.

You know when people cheer a fault because they think its an ace, thats usually a drunk fanatic :lol:

[QUOTE]

This was not my experience with sitting near them. When someone cheered a fault, it was usually a random drunk person on the opposite side of the stadium. The Fanatics know their sports and are there to support Australian players. It is unfortunate that they are frequently blamed for random incidents over which they have no control...and by the way, there are a lot of journalists who know nothing about them and just call anyone in the crowd in a yellow T-shirt and/or a supporter of an Australian player a Fanatic

Socket
02-01-2005, 01:03 AM
You don't get the point actually. Just to clear this up TA don't allow it for any group not just the Fanatics. Try coming to the Aus Open one time and you'll see what I mean. How the other fans do it is pretty much how I explained it and they don't get any help from TA.

As for Hewitt paying for blocks of tickets for them I don't have a problem with that at all and it's not like they are a recent part of the tennis world.
Sorry, but I've read otherwise in Aussie papers.

Action Jackson
02-01-2005, 01:04 AM
Sorry, but I've read otherwise in Aussie papers.

Come on you should know being a Hewitt fan that the media aren't always objective.

I am explaining the situation as I have asked and inquired from the people who were there at the matches as to what happens.

Jackie
02-01-2005, 01:07 AM
They pre-existed Hewitt. They started as an Australian Davis Cup cheering squad, particularly at away ties, and diversified into slams during the Rafter era. I think anyone can join - never felt the need myself ;)

Yeah, anyone can join but their tours are expensive. I should probably point out that some of them are regulars, but others just go along for 1 tour. It's not the same group of people every time.

Socket
02-01-2005, 01:37 AM
Come on you should know being a Hewitt fan that the media aren't always objective.

I am explaining the situation as I have asked and inquired from the people who were there at the matches as to what happens.
I agree with you that the Aussie media aren't very objective about Hewitt.

However, it seems to me that the lack of objectivity is to be more anti-Hewitt than pro-Hewitt, especially the Murdoch-owned papers for whatever reason. As a Hewitt fan, I'd love for the Aussie papers to give him the same kid-glove treatment that the majority of the American tennis-writers give Roddick.

Action Jackson
02-01-2005, 01:48 AM
I agree with you that the Aussie media aren't very objective about Hewitt.

Well I have explained my opinions on Hewitt many times and have defended him on a few occasions when it has been deserved i.e the alleged racist incident. It does go both ways and the fact he followed Rafter as the top player and he could never live up to that image or should.

However, it seems to me that the lack of objectivity is to be more anti-Hewitt than pro-Hewitt, especially the Murdoch-owned papers for whatever reason. As a Hewitt fan, I'd love for the Aussie papers to give him the same kid-glove treatment that the majority of the American tennis-writers give Roddick.

No way absolutely not get the kid glove treatment. That is not the way in Australia or should be anywhere, and where I am from if the guy acts like a wanker or a jerk for whatever reason it should be called out.

Good that Roddick lives in a bubble then. :)

Socket
02-01-2005, 02:01 AM
I think that Rafter got something pretty close to kid-glove treatment. He was being named as Australian of the Year when he was actually living outside the country to avoid paying Aussie taxes. IIRC, only one columnist mentioned this fact, suggesting that he be named Bermudian of the Year or Bahamian of the Year or wherever he was living. No way that would happen with Lleyton.

Action Jackson
02-01-2005, 02:03 AM
Rafter and Hewitt are 2 totally different personalities, nearly everyone likes Rafter and that goes through to the media and sadly a lot people see on court behaviour is how many people percieve them to be and Hewitt is nowhere in the same league as Rafter in that regard, so that helps in the negative press that he gets.

tennischick
02-01-2005, 02:04 AM
I agree with you that the Aussie media aren't very objective about Hewitt...
you do :confused:

Socket
02-01-2005, 02:11 AM
you do :confused:
Read my second paragraph and you won't be :confused:.

tennisinparis
02-01-2005, 02:15 AM
funny, not but i think you would fit in pretty well with them

thank you for the chance, but i will have to pass this one up. i am so sorry, but glad to know that i could be in their organization, better than being in yours, right?

Fedex
02-01-2005, 02:32 AM
They dont know much about the sport to begin with so when they get drunk it becomes a real mess.

As long as your not sitting next to them their not to bad and add to the atmosphere.
:lol:

tennischick
02-01-2005, 03:20 AM
Read my second paragraph and you won't be :confused:.
i'm not :confused: by what you're saying now. i'm :confused: bec when i made the identical point 2 weeks ago you disagreed with me and called it an "unsupported assumption". that's why i'm :confused:

but there's no need to clarify. it's not that imporant. :wavey:

iluvcandy227
02-01-2005, 03:24 AM
thank you for the chance, but i will have to pass this one up. i am so sorry, but glad to know that i could be in their organization, better than being in yours, right?

oh u sure u wanna pass you woulve fit in nicely ur probably good at lookin like a moron

Jackie
02-01-2005, 09:09 AM

I have friends who have toured with the Fanatics. Fuck you too

Hewitt_Rules
02-01-2005, 09:24 AM

I remember a dumb Wayne Rooney running over to the away fans and pulling funny faces at them, thus he got a mobile phone thrown at his fat gob, and deservedly so :haha:

martinaHforever
02-01-2005, 12:44 PM
The fanatics are complete a-holes, I heard an interview with one of them, they are the sort of guys who would gangbash people on the street, they are suck

Jackie
02-01-2005, 10:59 PM
The fanatics are complete a-holes, I heard an interview with one of them, they are the sort of guys who would gangbash people on the street, they are suck

Strange how there are no reports of them doing anything other than enjoying sport and maybe a bit of partying

iluvcandy227
02-01-2005, 11:50 PM
I have friends who have toured with the Fanatics. Fuck you too

well fuck you too :devil:

iluvcandy227
02-01-2005, 11:51 PM
I remember a dumb Wayne Rooney running over to the away fans and pulling funny faces at them, thus he got a mobile phone thrown at his fat gob, and deservedly so :haha:

thats still no reason to throw a phone at someone u must not be an man utd fan