Does Hewitt need an attitude adjustment? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Does Hewitt need an attitude adjustment?

tangerine_dream
01-31-2005, 05:28 AM
Some various articles I've come across all wondering about Hewitt's mental state. :lol: And here I was worried about Roddick's meltdown. Who's first to get on the shrink couch?

http://foxsports.news.com.au/common/imagedata/0,5001,414232,00.jpg
Mind games ... Hewitt's head needs fixing.

Lleyton losing his mind
By Toby Forage
January 31, 2005

LLEYTON Hewitt could learn a lot from Marat Safin, the Russian giant who battered him into submission in last night's Australian Open final.

Not so long ago, Safin was a brash hot-headed player, more capable of breaking his racquets than an opponent's serve. Now, he's a grand slam champion again, and a charming one at that.

Hewitt, on the other hand, is the man that failed to harness natural aggression and the support of a nation to deliver a first home grand slam title in Australia for 30 years.

The wound may be painful enough to sting the feisty youngster into an attitude adjustment, but don't hold your breath.

While he countered the pain of defeat with a sweet and successful proposal to actor and girlfriend Bec Cartwright, Hewitt probably won't change any time soon.

He has made a habit of telling the public via the media that he won't be changing a thing. If his opponent's can't handle the "C"mons" and the accompanying fist pumps, they can find someone else to play with, as far as he is concerned.

On close inspection, though, such stubbornness may be Hewitt's greatest weakness. Despite starting last night's final with purpose and complete control, Hewitt lost it, and on reflection, he lost it badly.

As the early breaks came his way, he was more keen to celebrate Safin's errors than his own winners. It was a curious silence.

As Safin took a grip on the match's throat, Hewitt could only croak words of encouragement to Safin. "Too good" earned many more mentions than "C'mon".

If there was one point that characterised Hewitt's problems, it came when he led 4-2 in the third set. The Australian finished one of the best rallies of the night with an impossibly accurate running forehand across the court. But rather than celebrating as he should have - veins bursting and fists pumping in delight - he chose to berate a baseline official, who had correctly called him for a foot-fault earlier in the game.

It was a gesture as ridiculous as his suggestion that the courts would do him no favours ahead of the championships. How, we can only wonder, does Hewitt rate the Rebound Ace at Melbourne Park now?

Some say Safin is no angel, but juxtapose his behaviour with that of Hewitt's and the halo above the Russian champion's head glows brighter and brighter.

Safin holds as much aggression inside his huge frame as Hewitt does, and while he remains a psychological conundrum, he is persuading his demons the fight for him, rather than against him.

Safin only really gets cranky with himself. He rarely loses it with the officials, he rarely riles his opponents. If he fills with rage, he takes it out on himself. It's his control and understanding of the rage that has changed markedly under the coaching of Peter Lundgren, Roger Federer's former mentor. He can now identify his problems as self-inflicted and he can correct his fortunes.

"He really has made me believe in myself," Safin said of Lundgren. "I never believed in myself before, until I started to work with him.

Such an examination Hewitt would do well to re-sit. He believes in himself when it suits him, but believes as much in the forces working against him.

Rather than fix his own game, the Australian looks to blame the environment - the courts, the officials, the luck of the draw. It's all a conspiracy.

But in truth, any male player in the top 20 can only blame his own mental inadequacies for losing these days. The difference in talent at the high end of the ATP Tour is minuscule. Matches are won and lost on mistakes at key moments. Luck enters the equation at times, but never enough to affect the result over the duration of a match.

Roger Federer, while obscenely talented in all aspects of tennis, only wins so many matches because his consistency is unrivalled. He can maintain focus for freakish amounts of time and never allow an opponent to glimpse an opening.

Safin matched him in that department at the semi-final stage, and sheer will and determination took him through.

While there is no question over Hewitt's ability to fight, he never demonstrated it against the very best in the world at this tournament. Had he lost to Rafael Nadal or David Nalbandian - both ranked below him - there would have been some serious questions posed over his ability. Andy Roddick never gave him a chance to fight, meekly waving the white flag in their semi-final on Friday.

There will be no grand slam this year unless Hewitt can learn to beat the likes of Federer or Safin when they are playing their best tennis. He has the ability, he has the heart, the desire, the fight to do so.

But as others leap ahead in the mind games, he is falling behind. It's the one aspect of his game that needs improvement.

---------

Foot faults crucial for Hewitt
by Bruce Matthews

TWO foot-fault calls rattled Lleyton Hewitt at a critical stage of last night's Australian Open final.

One came with Hewitt pressing for a 5-2 lead in the third set and the other as he tried desperately to ward off Marat Safin in the eighth game.

The concentration-snapping calls -- from either end -- led to back-to-back service breaks during the Russian's rush of seven consecutive games that ripped away the singles crown.

While Hewitt fought to the end with typical grit, he never recovered from watching a potential 2-1 set lead slip.

Hewitt came out of the blocks full of running and, despite losing the opening point, quickly asserted his authority with a cunning mix of groundstrokes.

He served out the set to 15 with an unplayable 192 km/h serve and notched just one unforced error in the 24 minutes it took to seize the lead.

But the error count from the Australian began to mount in the second set as Safin picked up the pace.

Hewitt lived dangerously, particularly with forehand errors, and two proved costly in the third game before the Russian nailed a forehand return to break the Australian's serve for the first time. It was the decisive breakthrough and Safin won the set 6-3 in the next game to square the match.

When Hewitt held serve for 3-0 in the third set, he jogged to the courtside chair while Safin flung his racquet in disgust.

The most decisive battle ensued when Hewitt served for that 5-2 lead in the set.

He took the first cruel foot-fault on break point after pounding down a 191 km/h ace before saving with a running forehand over the netpost.

But Safin buried a backhand return down the line to break back and held for 4-4.

Another foot-fault call on a first serve rattled Hewitt in the ninth game. He threw in a rare double fault on break point, leaving the increasingly encouraged Russian to close the critical third set.

The Australian, under siege, watched helplessly as Safin grabbed an early service break in the fourth set that busted open the contest.

------

Lleyton Hewitt - why we love him ... and why we don't
By Jessica Halloran
January 31, 2005

WHAT WE LOVE

Davis Cup heroics
Hewitt loves Davis Cup tennis. He rose from being orange boy to play in a Davis Cup final at 18. In 2003 he helped his team win the cup over Spain 3-1. This year will be his seventh of Davis Cup tennis. "I think everyone knows how passionate I am about Davis Cup, and even when I won Wimbledon and the US Open, the feeling that I had out there on centre court when I was serving for that match [against Spain], you just want to box that up and keep it forever," Hewitt said. "It's the most electric feeling you could ever have; the [greatest] adrenalin rush of all time."

US Open victory, 2001
The US Open final was Hewitt's first and Pete Sampras's eighth. But the 20-year-old Australian exhausted the 30-year-old with his quick game. "The kid is so quick it's unbelievable," Sampras said. "I wish I had some of those legs for this old guy. I lost to a great champion. You're going to see this Lleyton Hewitt guy for the next 10 years like you saw me." Hewitt was nervous before he went out on the court. "Walking out there to play Pete Sampras in your first ever grand slam final is something you'll never forget," Hewitt said.

World No.1, 2001
In 2001, the 20-year-old became the youngest year-end world No.1, and Australia's first since rankings were introduced in 1973. After Gustavo Kuerten's third consecutive loss in the Tennis Masters Cup round-robin, Hewitt had only to beat his friend and Davis Cup teammate, the injured Patrick Rafter, to complete the ascension - and that he did easily, 7-5, 6-2.

Wimbledon 2002 victory
Hewitt smashed David Nalbandian in the Wimbledon final 6-1, 6-3, 6-2. It was his second grand slam and he also became the first Australian to win Wimbledon since Pat Cash in 1987. "I had to look up at the scoreboard to see if it was real, if it was match point or not," Hewitt said. "You know, it's an unbelievable feeling. You know growing up as a kid back in Australia I always dreamt that some day I may be playing for this trophy and I saw Pat Cash do it 15 years ago, and to finally get a chance out here, it means so much to me and I can't believe how I played these two weeks."

WHAT WE LOATHE

Calls the Australian public "stupid", Adelaide hardcourts 2000
In January 2000, Hewitt, aged 18, labelled the Australian public "stupid" after the crowd barracked against him while he played fellow Australian Dejan Petrovic at the hardcourt championships in his home town of Adelaide. At the media conference afterwards, Hewitt fumed: "It's weird," he said. "But it's the stupidity of the Australian public."

"Spastics" call at the 2001 French Open
Chair umpire Andres Egli copped his first sledge from Hewitt in Paris when the then 20-year-old called Egli and the net judge "spastics". The following day, Hewitt had to apologise to the spastic community. "When I was out there in the heat of battle, I didn't realise I said it," Hewitt said. "If I did say it, it's not something I'm proud of, that's for sure. I apologise to whoever it may be."

The "similarity", US Open 2001
He denied it was racist and James Blake didn't condemn him, but many heard Hewitt's poisonous words during the 2001 US Open. The Australian complained - again - to umpire Andres Egli and asked for a black linesman to be moved after being called for two foot-faults. "Look at him," Hewitt said, gesturing at the linesman. "And look at him," pointing at Blake. "You tell me what the similarity is. You put him off the court, get him off the court."

My lips are sealed, Cincinnati Masters, 2002
Hewitt took defamation action after the ATP fined him for missing an interview with the ESPN network at the Cincinnati Masters in 2002. He was fined $US105,650 ($160,579), which was reduced on appeal to $35,000. Documents filed in the South Australian Supreme Court by the ATP describe Hewitt's claim that he was defamed by the ATP as "in many respects embarrassing" and asked for it to be struck out. Hewitt, who was required to do the interview as part of ATP obligations, said in a an interview that the ESPN request was "crap".

"C'mon", Australian Open, 2005
Hewitt's constant "c'mons" when his opponents make an error particularly riled his second-round opponent James Blake. Equally, his ignoring Blake when Blake graciously acknowledged a too-good shot may not have won fans.

Lisbeth
01-31-2005, 06:02 AM
Well it's all relative ;)

I think a mix of personalities is good for tennis so I think there's a place for all of them. I also think that good tennis is far more important to the game than whether everyone likes every player.

Éowyn
01-31-2005, 06:26 AM
Some say Safin is no angel, but juxtapose his behaviour with that of Hewitt's and the halo above the Russian champion's head glows brighter and brighter.

that's a great quote that may actually be worthy of some signature space.

He denied it was racist and James Blake didn't condemn him, but many heard Hewitt's poisonous words during the 2001 US Open. The Australian complained - again - to umpire Andres Egli and asked for a black linesman to be moved after being called for two foot-faults. "Look at him," Hewitt said, gesturing at the linesman. "And look at him," pointing at Blake. "You tell me what the similarity is. You put him off the court, get him off the court."

that one really annoyed me and i was furious with james for not saying anything he really should have. i'd have hit him!

it's no secret i'm not a fan of hewitt but there are so many reasons and somany things he shoudl appologise for. he even "c'mon'd" a let cord in the final that annoyed me!

martinaHforever
01-31-2005, 06:47 AM

D I S G R A C E F U L :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

*SKYE*
01-31-2005, 08:26 AM
omg no. hell no. Just because he encourages himself and gets the crowd roaring by yelling 'Cmooon' doesnt mean he is in need of an attitude adjustment. he never throws he's racquet.....? I mean, I dont see how he needs an attitude adjustment.

federer_roar
01-31-2005, 10:33 AM
I guess you need to have a ugly side to contrast with beautiful side.

cameron
01-31-2005, 11:05 AM
The guy has passion, he adds something different to the game and atleast you can't say he doesn't give his all ever time he steps on the court. I can't see anything wrong with him trying to gee himself up, Its just a pathetic attempt by the media for ratings.

The way I see it, let those who have not sinned cast the first stone.

Riley Finn
01-31-2005, 11:38 AM
first stone

~sinner

tennisinparis
01-31-2005, 11:51 AM
that first article was horrible journalism, it is a way too biased article and no real proof. the other two articles take a better stance, less of a berating article, but merely provides the information. now onto my opinion, like it really matters.

i feel that the passion lleyton has is great for the sport and it helps him win a lot of matches. HOWEVER, at some points this passion overflows too far when he starts making comments, gestures, and acts. now the big question is the "c'mon's" at UE of opponents. well it is really hard to describe but I don't mind this. it is usually an attempt to get himself fired up for the next point or in the game/match. the opponent needs to be mature enough to know he isn't cheering for the fact that they screwed up...otherwise he would only do it when they screwed up. i don't think lleyton needs to lose his passion on the court or even the "c'mon's", but I think he needs an anger check (realistically there is only so much he can do, and pointing out a linesman like that does nothing to help him). okay, thats all for now.

best of luck to lleyton and marat the rest of the year. and i wish the media would be less biased, ha ha, i guess that is their job.

Experimentee
01-31-2005, 12:01 PM
I generally like it when players have passion and fire but there is a line that can be crossed and I think Lleyton sometimes goes too far with his antics, which can be rude and disrespectful.

Auscon
01-31-2005, 12:14 PM
These 'incidents' have been far and few between since 2001, when he was a kid for christs sake

The guy brings something to the game which no other player does.....and for me, if he were to never have played the game, I probably wouldnt be as big a fan of tennis as I am now, and definitely wouldnt be keeping an eye on everything that goes on throughout the season, or posting here.....I might not have been a fan at all. And when Lleyton does eventually retire from the game, I know that I wont enjoy following the sport anywhere near like I do now.

And on plenty of these points where Lleyton gives a cmon on an opponents 'error', that error has come because he's gutted it out to get a tough ball back, one that most other players wouldnt be able to get back, and thats where the cmon comes from....not because his opponent missed the shot, but because he did the hard yards and stuck in there for it to happen

fifiricci
01-31-2005, 12:19 PM
The guy brings something to the game which no other player does.....and for me, if he were to never have played the game, I probably wouldnt be as big a fan of tennis as I am now, and definitely wouldnt be keeping an eye on everything that goes on throughout the season, or posting here.....I might not have been a fan at all. And when Lleyton does eventually retire from the game, I know that I wont enjoy following the sport anywhere near like I do now.

So youre just a Lleyton obsessive then! :rolleyes:

Riley Finn
01-31-2005, 12:21 PM
And on plenty of these points where Lleyton gives a cmon on an opponents 'error', that error has come because he's gutted it out to get a tough ball back, one that most other players wouldnt be able to get back, and thats where the cmon comes from....not because his opponent missed the shot, but because he did the hard yards and stuck in there for it to happen

Yes,especially I like those c'mons when he guts it out and his opponent hits a df!

Kristen
01-31-2005, 12:24 PM
Even though he can act like a total wanker on the court at times (I voted for yes, to spite him, and the fans. I'm immature I know! But what I'm about to say makes sense)... He's a fairly decent guy off court ( :tape: ) and his attitude is brilliant. Without it, he'd probably suck, like some of my favourites who lose a couple of games and crumble. He just needs to be a bit more choosy in his vichts / cmon! fits, and have a little more ettiquette at times, because it can be quite offensive to his opponent at times.

Hewitt_Rules
01-31-2005, 12:25 PM
No Rocky doesn't need an attitude adjustment. He is a fighter and thus has a fighter's attitude. He brings much needed intensity to the court unlike shoe gazing bores like Juan Slam Wonder Ferrero.

bad gambler
01-31-2005, 12:27 PM
He's a fairly decent guy off court ( :tape: ) and his attitude is brilliant. Without it, he'd probably suck, like some of my favourites who lose a couple of games and crumble.

c'mon BGirl you can do it, i know one day you can love hewitt as well :p

Kristen
01-31-2005, 12:31 PM
c'mon BGirl you can do it, i know one day you can love hewitt as well :p
Off the court, sure! He's a Pisces (same as me) after all... but on court, he acts like a Leo or Sagittarian on heat (no offence to any people with that starsign ;))

As for loving him... there are people who I'm sure will take drastic measures and organise an intervention (GWH, pj_girl etc) if I someday lose my brain and jump on the patriotic bandwagon ;)

thelma
01-31-2005, 12:34 PM
No, he doesn't. I love his passion and fire ;)

Raquel
01-31-2005, 12:34 PM
Lleyton doesn't need to change at all. That first article is just another example of some of the really negative Aussie press Lleyton gets. I don't know if this is a new thing or not but during the Aussie Open they barely had one good word to say about him.

The article is very negative but the bright side is that while they are saying all that, the fans have noticed that he has improved his game a lot in the last 6 months. He is still getting used to being more aggressive than he used to be and his game is going in the right direction. He's definitely making improvements.

Auscon
01-31-2005, 12:54 PM
So youre just a Lleyton obsessive then! :rolleyes:

I definitely wouldnt stop enjoying the game if he left, but its the fact that he's an aussie, and a real aussie battler on court, that gives reason to want to follow the game more closely......that and I missed out on being a close fan of the sport when Pat was hitting his stride, and when Lleyton was at the very top of the game, and when you think that we've only had 2 guys win a grand slam since Cashy did, I definitely dont want to miss out on these years while we have a top player around, because for all we know, once he's out of the game, it could be a long time before we see a highly ranked local, especially one as great to watch on court as Pat and Lleyton

it's like your local footy team no longer being in the comp...you still love the game, but you just wouldnt have the same personal involvement

if another player can come along and bring to the table what Lleyton does, then I'll be glad to follow their career as well, but as it is, he stands alone....

TheMightyFed
01-31-2005, 12:58 PM
This guy's just received a bad education, it's not his fault after all.
If he doesn't understand his attitude is stupid and other players are getting fed up whatever their origins are, I mean, let him behave like that...
He'll never get the respect of a Sampras or an Edberg, that's it... ;)

Auscon
01-31-2005, 01:03 PM
This guy's just received a bad education, it's not his fault after all.
If he doesn't understand his attitude is stupid and other players are getting fed up whatever their origins are, I mean, let him behave like that...
He'll never get the respect of a Sampras or an Edberg, that's it... ;)

In a little (very bare bones) story on Lleyton they had before the AO final, they said he left school before finishing year 9....I didnt even know it was that early

TheMightyFed
01-31-2005, 01:09 PM
In a little (very bare bones) story on Lleyton they had before the AO final, they said he left school before finishing year 9....I didnt even know it was that early

I didn't even know he ever went to school :haha:

Auscon
01-31-2005, 01:12 PM
I didn't even know he ever went to school :haha:

hahah :)

CooCooCachoo
01-31-2005, 01:12 PM
Oh he needs one for sure.

FanOfHewitt
01-31-2005, 01:15 PM
Does anyone here remember a specific time when Lleyton yelled out c'mon! on a double fault?

I've read about him doing it on several occasions during this past fortnight but having followed his career pretty closely I only seem to recall him ever doing a little muffled come on after a double fault which gave him a break.

I've never heard him do a loud obnoxious come on off another's double fault but the way these journalists have talked about it you'd think it's a standard play of his, which as far as I've seen, is just bullshit.

iluvcandy227
01-31-2005, 01:19 PM
hell yea he needs an attitude adjustment hes so annoyin

TheMightyFed
01-31-2005, 01:20 PM
Does anyone here remember a specific time when Lleyton yelled out c'mon! on a double fault?

I've read about him doing it on several occasions during this past fortnight but having followed his career pretty closely I only seem to recall him ever doing a little muffled come on after a double fault which gave him a break.

I've never heard him do a loud obnoxious come on off another's double fault but the way these journalists have talked about it you'd think it's a standard play of his, which as far as I've seen, is just bullshit.

No but I can tell you he's yelling come on on many errors of opponents and he's the only one to do this now. My concern is that other players start to do it now, as you might scare a bit the other guy when you do it. Let's hope we won't take this road... Thanks Lleyton for raising the attitude oncourt to such a beautiful level...

Auscon
01-31-2005, 01:35 PM
hell yea he needs an attitude adjustment hes so annoyin

I bet your a closet hewitt fan

iluvcandy227
01-31-2005, 01:36 PM
I bet your a closet hewitt fan

no im not i used to think he was kinda hot but know i think hes ugly and annoyin

WyveN
01-31-2005, 01:43 PM
Often missing a easy groundstroke is far more frustrating then making a double fault.

Billy Moonshine
01-31-2005, 03:00 PM
Hewitt is a great player but not my type. I like players who win points volleying or with big groundies. He deserves great respect for his achievements, consistency and fighting qualities. But I think he will go down, like he cares, as one of the most unpopular tennis champions ever. Watching him, and I love tennis, drives me mad. To behave like that, like a spoilt kid, and to be so obnoxious when people confront you about it afterwards, is so bad for tennis and doesn't win it any real fans

gsm
01-31-2005, 03:30 PM
i love lleyton's antics. cant get enough of them.

without them , the court would be a convent.

keep up the good work lleyton.

and yes , why does racket smashing get ignored as a possible bad trait?

Sjengster
01-31-2005, 03:31 PM
Watching Hewitt's runner-up speech yesterday reminded me of what a self-effacing and creditable guy he is off court, it's just a pity that the moment he steps onto court he becomes this insufferable screeching maniac. Personally, I think the arguments that he needs to change his attitude aren't because it's disrespectful to his opponent (which they can be at times, but had he won the title that would have been swiftly forgotten by the media), but because it's hurting his own chances in matches. Look at the foot-fault incidents both this year and last year against Federer - both times Hewitt took his anger out on the line judge, excessively so, and then seemed to become a subdued shadow of himself for the remainder of the match. I don't think he's the kind of person who believes there are conspiracies against him, but he seems to dwell on these incidents for far too long instead of getting his mind back to the match.

As far as I'm concerned, cut out the triple fist pump and he becomes just a little more tolerable - that seems to be an innovation of the last couple of years, he didn't go that far even when he was world no. 1. He seems to do it in the most one-sided of matches as well, not just the epic contests in the latter rounds.

TheMightyFed
01-31-2005, 03:32 PM
i love lleyton's antics. cant get enough of them.

without them , the court would be a convent.

keep up the good work lleyton.

And keep up avoiding spits ...

TheMightyFed
01-31-2005, 03:35 PM
He seems to do it in the most one-sided of matches as well, not just the epic contests in the latter rounds.

I agree, and this is even more wrong as he's doing this stuff against poor unknown Moroccans in Davis cup...

Auscon
01-31-2005, 03:41 PM
I agree, and this is even more wrong as he's doing this stuff against poor unknown Moroccans in Davis cup...

I dont recall Lleyton doing that against Tahiri

TheMightyFed
01-31-2005, 03:43 PM
I dont recall Lleyton doing that against Tahiri
No c'mons ?
C'mooooon ! ;)

gsm
01-31-2005, 03:44 PM

in davis cup , you play lleyton at your own risk.

i would be dissapointed if he didnt put on a patriotic display of C'MON's , regardless of what country he is playing.

i can rest at ease knowing that when ever lleyton screams a CMON , is a few tennis followers and players cringing with displeasure. :p

fight lleyton , dig in , scrape yet another victory , and another , and another... :)

TheMightyFed
01-31-2005, 03:55 PM
fight lleyton , dig in , scrape yet another victory , and another , and another... :)

... and in finals if possible, thanks ! ;)

jmp
01-31-2005, 04:03 PM
I couldn't make a choice in the poll because Lleyton is who he is, period. It's obvious that his on court behavior makes him a polarizing personality. But, I see him as a real fighter and a good bloke off the court. He could have easily faded away and floated around the top 20 after 2003. But, he's one of the elite players in the world because he continues to improve himself off court and competes ferociously on court.

I bristled at the 2001 incident. But, there has been nothing to indicate that Lleyton's high intensity and insensitivity on court is reflected in his actions off court. As a matter of fact, he is a great sportsman in defeat and freely acknowledes his opponents' superior play. In the same vein, he doesn't let them get an edge over him psychologically. He gets up for the next encounter and fights until the last ball. He also plays through pain and never uses physical fatigue or tournament soreness as an excuse. It was obvious that the wacky schedule of the rain addled USO '03 quarters had a negative physical impact in his match against JCF. He still went on court, gave it his best, and took his defeat in a sporting manner. If James got past 2001, I surely can. Their games match up very well and they really go at each other. It's fun to see them across the net from each other.

Then I watch my favorite, Marat :hearts:, and Roger :angel: compete against Lleyton and it's all about the tennis. Lleyton doesn't even work the "C'mons" to excess against them because (a) there is mutual respect between the three of them and (b) Marat and Roger don't let it affect them.

So, while the bad boy image is a good albatross to hang around Lleyton's neck, me thinks the press doth protest too much. Lleyton continues to excel. He may or may not get another major against the current field. But, foot speed, lobs, court sense, and grit are as much a part of his game as the psychological warfare. It's all a package deal and he maximizes his results because of it.

He gave tennis fans and the nation of Australia so many thrills and chills over the past two weeks. He left it all on the court in the final and today he's got the mental strength to move on to the other tasks in his life as well as the next professional challenge. It's low to kick a man when he's down. I'm willing to accept him for who he is.

jmp
01-31-2005, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by gsm
and yes , why does racket smashing get ignored as a possible bad trait?
gsm, players do a lot of things to berate themselve and motivate themselves on court. Sharapova hits the side of her right thigh, several players hit the net or their heads with the racquet, etc. But, those actions are usually directed at themselves and not their opponents, linespersons, or umpires. I don't think raquet smashing is a "good" trait. It's just not directed at the opponent.

Auscon
01-31-2005, 04:19 PM
No c'mons ?
C'mooooon ! ;)

I was at the match and looking forward to hearing a few, even though he was playing a much lower ranked player

if I did hear one, it was the very subdued clenched fist and cmon, and probably only the once

federer express
01-31-2005, 04:21 PM
His antics ruin the game???? what a load of crap

tennischick
01-31-2005, 04:25 PM
there should be a third, in-between choice. like "yeah he's annoying but his opponents need to suck it up". i'd vote for that. there was a good article at au.com with a headline something like: "sure he's annoying, but he's ours". that cracked me up.

boliviana
01-31-2005, 04:32 PM
They can all be really obnoxious when they want to . . . no one is actually that much worse than the other on any given day. Hewitt is nothing compared to Kiefer. If I were playing Kiefer, I'd shoot him. What an ass. (and I love how he plays when he is on fire . . .)

I don't buy the argument that Lleyton is a greater offender becuase his fire is directed towards his opponent more than the others (Safin and racket breaking for example). Anything that is disruptive of the flow of the game is off-putting. It is a matter of how you deal with it. Hewitt dishes it out but he also deals with it - e.g. Roddick's 10 minute bathroom break. That was really passive agressive on Andy's part and there's not a word about it.

elizabeth_c
01-31-2005, 04:35 PM
that's a great quote that may actually be worthy of some signature space.

that one really annoyed me and i was furious with james for not saying anything he really should have. i'd have hit him!

it's no secret i'm not a fan of hewitt but there are so many reasons and somany things he shoudl appologise for. he even "c'mon'd" a let cord in the final that annoyed me!
the way he treated james blake was horrible....hewitt is the most disliked player on the tennis circuit for many reasons....hes a prick.

jmp
01-31-2005, 04:42 PM
You make a good point about disrupting the flow of the game, boliviana. :)

Kiefer :lol:

I like your third option, tennischick. :yeah:

Auscon
01-31-2005, 04:45 PM
the way he treated james blake was horrible....hewitt is the most disliked player on the tennis circuit for many reasons....hes a prick.

that incident way back when or something from the match at the AO?

tennischick
01-31-2005, 04:45 PM
and what did you make of James giving him the "vicht"? was that a tender moment they shared?

Auscon
01-31-2005, 04:49 PM
and what did you make of James giving him the "vicht"? was that a tender moment they shared?

I thought it was great, well, mainly because of what happened from that moment thereafter :)

Sortof like when Andy said some shit to him during a 2nd set changeover in ther Masters SF, then Lleyton went on to decimate him

In fact I encourage more players to try and do something to piss Lleyton off when on court

Neely
01-31-2005, 05:13 PM
I voted for "no" without hesitating.
I would have been Happy if Kiwi brought only a fractional amount of Lleyton's usual intensity on court during his many bad years.

For me, Lleyton's attitute is only good for tennis :worship:

tennischick
01-31-2005, 05:40 PM
...In fact I encourage more players to try and do something to piss Lleyton off when on court
:lol: they do look like asses when they end up losing the match after trying to out-Potato the Potato :lol:

tennisinparis
01-31-2005, 05:54 PM

very interesting. i find that is might be Andy Roddick that is the most disliked, why because of his arrogance and cockiness. Those are to traits that have nothing to do with competition, lleyton's bad traits at least have to do with compeition. also, if you want to know, you should read all the post about who should win the Roddick vs Hewitt match at the AUS Open. No one is really a big fan. I would venture to say Roddick wins that category.

gillian
01-31-2005, 06:02 PM
I've always defended Hewitt's right to do whatever he felt necessary to keep himself pumped up during a match. I still do. However, his pointing at the linesman who called a foot-fault on him during the AO final speaks of a spitefulness (on court, at least) that is unecessary and distracting. What did he gain from that gesture? Nothing. What did he lose? His focus. The game. The match.

Kudos to Hewitt for ascending as far as he has in this Big Man's era of tennis through both his talent and his will. That said, he still has lots of growing up to do. Pumping himself up against individual opponents is one thing. Walking around with the "me-against-the-world" attitude & directing it at chair umpires, linespeople and whoever else crosses his path is pretty childish.

heya
01-31-2005, 08:02 PM
His desperate, conceited supporters showed off their double standards again.
Hewitt was lucky that 4 opponents were too tired to close out their matches against him.
Safin taught him a lesson after Hewitt bullied the linesman and umpire.
He didn't get lucky again in front of his stunned parents and 2nd fiancee.

iluvcandy227
01-31-2005, 08:06 PM
very interesting. i find that is might be Andy Roddick that is the most disliked, why because of his arrogance and cockiness. Those are to traits that have nothing to do with competition, lleyton's bad traits at least have to do with compeition. also, if you want to know, you should read all the post about who should win the Roddick vs Hewitt match at the AUS Open. No one is really a big fan. I would venture to say Roddick wins that category.

andy has the right to be cocky and arragont, but hewitt hes just annoyin

Denise
01-31-2005, 08:10 PM
Option 1! Hewitt sucks :o

iluvcandy227
01-31-2005, 08:18 PM
Option 1! Hewitt sucks :o

completly agree with u

kim-fan
01-31-2005, 08:23 PM
option 2! lleyton rules :banana:

Margy
01-31-2005, 08:28 PM
And let's not forget his paid for cheering squad of "fanatics" that he drags around with him. I thought they were annoying enough when I assumed they were just a group of organized fans. Now that I read they are actually subsidized by Hewitt who gives them tickets to be there to annoy his opponents, I'm irritated beyond simple annoyance. And then he has the nerve to complain that the ATP would not give him even more free tickets for his chanting group. Definitely overstepping the boundaries of sportsmanship.

iluvcandy227
01-31-2005, 08:32 PM
And let's not forget his paid for cheering squad of "fanatics" that he drags around with him. I thought they were annoying enough when I assumed they were just a group of organized fans. Now that I read they are actually subsidized by Hewitt who gives them tickets to be there to annoy his opponents, I'm irritated beyond simple annoyance. And then he has the nerve to complain that the ATP would not give him even more free tickets for his chanting group. Definitely overstepping the boundaries of sportsmanship.

this doesnt seize to amaze me im glad he lost

Raquel
01-31-2005, 09:07 PM
His desperate, conceited supporters showed off their double standards again.
Hewitt was lucky that 4 opponents were too tired to close out their matches against him.
Safin taught him a lesson after Hewitt bullied the linesman and umpire.
He didn't get lucky again in front of his stunned parents and 2nd fiancee.
What are you talking about - 4 opponents too tired? What 4 out of interest? I hope you don't include Roddick in that. Lleyton had played 14 hours to Andy's 7 hours before their match. If Andy then got more tired than Lleyton after 3 sets (the 4th set Andy didn't even care much about by the looks of things), then he is in a really bad way.

federer express
01-31-2005, 10:12 PM
What are you talking about - 4 opponents too tired? What 4 out of interest? I hope you don't include Roddick in that. Lleyton had played 14 hours to Andy's 7 hours before their match. If Andy then got more tired than Lleyton after 3 sets (the 4th set Andy didn't even care much about by the looks of things), then he is in a really bad way.

:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

PaulieM
01-31-2005, 10:26 PM
how does andy have the right to be cocky??

PaulieM
01-31-2005, 10:30 PM
Hewitt was correct when he noted it is "not very good for the sport" when one opponent spits in the direction of another. We would submit, however, that unleashing a primal scream of "C'mawwwwn!" after your opponent double-faults would fall squarely under the same heading. Same for spitting loogies on the court, yelling at ballgirls, swearing audibly or calling the chair "an idiot" when he in fact made the correct call....-Jon Wertheim.

i agree with him on this one. it only distracts hewitt(when he obsesses about bad calls) the first couple of screams are funny and get people excited, but after a while it just gets too much and you want him to shut up already

iluvcandy227
01-31-2005, 10:33 PM
how does andy have the right to be cocky??

cuz hes a good tennis player

PaulieM
01-31-2005, 10:35 PM
well that's a matter of opinion. hewitt is good too. Being good at something does not mean you have to be cocky...

iluvcandy227
01-31-2005, 10:38 PM
well that's a matter of opinion. hewitt is good too. Being good at something does not mean you have to be cocky...

well i think if ur good at something u have the right to be cocky i mean if u totally suck than u shouldnt be cocky

tennisinparis
01-31-2005, 10:38 PM

and why is that? do you believe his play on the court gives him the right to be cocky and arrogant? just was wondering your explanation or rationalization?

tennisinparis
01-31-2005, 10:41 PM

interesting since he just moved below lleyton. doesn't that mean that lleyton has more a right to be cocky and arrogant(which he isn't). your explanation lacks any basis other than the fact it is okay for the people you like to be arrogant and cocky.

iluvcandy227
01-31-2005, 10:44 PM
interesting since he just moved below lleyton. doesn't that mean that lleyton has more a right to be cocky and arrogant(which he isn't). your explanation lacks any basis other than the fact it is okay for the people you like to be arrogant and cocky.

i never said lleyton couldnt be cocky i was just saying that if ur good at something u have the right to be arragont

Jackie
02-01-2005, 12:56 AM

The Fanatics are the Australian Davis Cup cheer squad. They are a group of organised fans, but the players started giving them tickets as a way of thanking them for their support...and it's not the Fanatics who were annoying the opponents. They were just random people in the crowd. When time is called, the Fanatics shut up. The Fanatics cheer on the Australian players, but DON'T yell insulting comments to the opponents...and the issue was not the number of tickets issued to them. It was the fact that they were going to be split up, while groups of people supporting other fans at the Australian Open [who are MUCH more disruptive. Did you see the flare incident?] were allowed to sit together

Auscon
02-01-2005, 01:21 AM

hahahah

idiot. :)

iluvcandy227
02-01-2005, 01:26 AM
hahahah

idiot. :)

im not an idiot :mad:

gsm
02-01-2005, 02:06 AM
im not an idiot :mad:

yes you are. :p

iluvcandy227
02-01-2005, 02:08 AM
yes you are. :p

can u please tell me how im an idiot

tennisinparis
02-01-2005, 02:20 AM
i never said lleyton couldnt be cocky i was just saying that if ur good at something u have the right to be arragont

okay, i get your logic now. but one more question, where is the cutoff for good. top 10, top 20, top 40, top 100???

maybe it should be if you are great at something??? but then doesn't that leave only one person (the #1 person in the world), because no one is as great as that person.

jole
02-01-2005, 02:22 AM
Generally speaking I think Lleyton is fine, but even some miniscule adjustments to how he interacts with other players would cause an enormous amount of these "issues" to die down.

iluvcandy227
02-01-2005, 02:23 AM
okay, i get your logic now. but one more question, where is the cutoff for good. top 10, top 20, top 40, top 100???

maybe it should be if you are great at something??? but then doesn't that leave only one person (the #1 person in the world), because no one is as great as that person.

the cutoff is top 5 or any one whos accomplished enough

Fedex
02-01-2005, 02:27 AM
I dont like his style personally, but it is his personality, and it works for him, so why change it?

Kristen
02-01-2005, 02:28 AM
1) Because you don't agree with them.
2) Because you were vague about your Andy / Lleyton comment.

PS. I don't think you're an idiot... it's just difficult at times to express yourself clearly to people who have a completely different point of view to you :wavey:

RodLo
02-01-2005, 02:31 AM

Don't be so sensitive about the things people say. You need to just laugh about it and let it roll of your shoulder. Don't take everything so personally. :bolt:

iluvcandy227
02-01-2005, 02:34 AM
Don't be so sensitive about the things people say. You need to just laugh about it and let it roll of your shoulder. Don't take everything so personally. :bolt:

im not taking it personally i just want to know their reasons for why they think im an idiot

RodLo
02-01-2005, 02:35 AM
im not taking it personally i just want to know their reasons for why they think im an idiot

Okay, right.

iluvcandy227
02-01-2005, 02:35 AM
1) Because you don't agree with them.
2) Because you were vague about your Andy / Lleyton comment.

PS. I don't think you're an idiot... it's just difficult at times to express yourself clearly to people who have a completely different point of view to you :wavey:

ok fair enough idk how that can make someone an idiot but watever

thelma
02-01-2005, 02:50 AM
vote here too:

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,12103069-23869,00.html

Poll Results at the moment

Does Lleyton Hewitt need to adjust his attitude in order to win another grand slam title?
Yes 61.94%61.94% 874 votes
No 38.05%38.05% 537 votes

iluvcandy227
02-01-2005, 02:53 AM
i just voted i guess many people agree with me

Lisbeth
02-01-2005, 03:00 AM

If you really want people to take you seriously and want to know why they are not, here is some advice:

go to www.itftennis.com

Check out "hewitt" and "roddick" under the activity and head to head sections.

Roddick is indeed a very good player but no better than Hewitt unless he's a terrible underachiever.

thelma
02-01-2005, 03:02 AM
Roddick is indeed a very good player but no better than Hewitt unless he's a terrible underachiever.
:devil: ;)

iluvcandy227
02-01-2005, 03:03 AM
i never said roddick was better than hewitt

thelma
02-01-2005, 03:05 AM
.. it is his personality, and it works for him, so why change it?

here the same question ?????? :scratch: :rolleyes:
However, I like him ;)

Lisbeth
02-01-2005, 03:06 AM

Huh? Firstly, the ATP does not run the Australian Open. Second, the Fanatics (who are the Australian cheer squad, not Hewitt's personal one) wanted to be allowed to buy a block of tickets together. They never asked for free ones. Hewitt likes them because they help pump him up. People are entitled to dislike that but it's very different from deliberately wanting to annoy his opponents. Indeed Andy Roddick himself said they were very respectful to him. Finally, since when was cheering beyond sportmanship? This is pro sport, not an 1800s croquet match. They need the crowds to keep it alive and shock horror some of them are going to cheer the local boy on. They do everywhere else too.

thelma
02-01-2005, 03:07 AM
i never said roddick was better than hewitt

No problem! ;)

This is not the goal of this poll :p

iluvcandy227
02-01-2005, 03:13 AM
No problem! ;)

This is not the goal of this poll :p

ok watever

Hendu
02-01-2005, 03:18 AM
Does Hewitt need an attitude adjustment?

yes he does...

he can be quite offensive to his opponents at times... and that has nothing to do with passion or intensity or competitiveness. You realize that just by watching Cañas play.

boliviana
02-01-2005, 02:05 PM
There is something I just don't get about these threads regarding player behavior. And before I get beaten to a pulp, I am NOT condoning anyone's crassness or bad manners.

What do you all expect? Look at the nature of the beast. Not Hewitt specifically but all of them. Think about what kind of person it takes to do what they do at the level they do it. First - they have to want it sooooooo badly. They've been playing like dogs for years and enduring god know's what in the process from their parents, their coaches, whoever. (sports parents are the worst and the players lives are completely absorbed by tennis and they have no identity outside the sport)

They have to be so incredibly motivated and disciplined to go out there, day after day after day. Once they hit a certain level, it's not just their own disappointment they have to manage or even that of their inner circle, it's the media. It's their agent who just cut that deal with Nike. It's 24/7 and it's nuts. You pump yourself up and do what you gotta do and there probably aren't a lot of people around you who are going to tell you that you are full of shit.

They've also been also been told since they could walk that they are god's gift to tennis and except for a few players, they are. And the behavior is further reinforced because who wants to cover sweet, well-mannered young men and women who go out and hit the ball really, really hard and really, really nice about it. Federer is THE exception but he went out of his way to get his shit together.

And completely off topic . . . someone please take that god-forsaken ad of Roddick for Amex and needing two seats to come home off the air. It is painful to watch. At first it was funny, now it's just sad.

Peoples
02-01-2005, 06:49 PM
Terrible article. The guy who wrote it shouldn't call himself a journalist.

thelma
02-01-2005, 07:20 PM
vote here too:

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,12103069-23869,00.html

Poll Results at the moment

Does Lleyton Hewitt need to adjust his attitude in order to win another grand slam title?
Yes 61.83% 1097 votes :rolleyes:
No 38.16% 677 votes

Leena
02-01-2005, 07:50 PM
What do you all expect? Look at the nature of the beast. Not Hewitt specifically but all of them. Think about what kind of person it takes to do what they do at the level they do it. First - they have to want it sooooooo badly. They've been playing like dogs for years and enduring god know's what in the process from their parents, their coaches, whoever. (sports parents are the worst and the players lives are completely absorbed by tennis and they have no identity outside the sport)

And so have the other 13241234234 professional players in the past, present and future. 99% of them don't act like Lleyton. It's not an excuse.

I don't think Lleyton really needs an attitude adjustment, I believe the reason he screams and acts like a fool, is to get an edge on his opponents. Lleyton wins by getting other guys to screw up. It's very smart of him.

It's up to the ATP/ITF/whoever to do something about it. Start fining Lleyton when he gets out of control. Warn him, and give him point penalties if need be. That may be extreme, but it's extremely ridiculous for a grown man to be screaming at the top of his lungs during a tennis match.

Jackie
02-02-2005, 12:30 AM
Why do people change their opinion of what is acceptable behaviour depending on the sport? Are people that hung up on maintaining tradition?

boliviana
02-02-2005, 01:30 AM
It's up to the ATP/ITF/whoever to do something about it. Start fining Lleyton when he gets out of control. Warn him, and give him point penalties if need be. That may be extreme, but it's extremely ridiculous for a grown man to be screaming at the top of his lungs during a tennis match.

Well if they start fining hewitt, then there are a whole host of others behind him . . . gee. . . . wonder what the ATP could do with all that money? Maybe get eyeglasses for the linesmen . . . sorry I got diverted.

They don't fine Kiefer and I think he's horrid. He's the one most on my mind at the moment but I know there are others. And it is up to the opponent to navigate around it but Roddick's 10 minute bathroom break was excessive too.

These people need to grow up!!

I don't think anyone's bad behavior should be excused. I just believe that "the machine" helps promote the attitude, the behavior and it is all just further complemented by the personality type that would find themselves in the top 50 of a global sport.

gsm
02-02-2005, 09:12 AM
fining players for getting excited about a particular point in the match (regardless if it is becouse of an UE) is short sighted.

all players to some degree clench fists and mouth c'mon , some more loudly than others.

do you start fining them for the volume level or what , be real.

Leena
02-04-2005, 11:58 PM
fining players for getting excited about a particular point in the match (regardless if it is becouse of an UE) is short sighted.

all players to some degree clench fists and mouth c'mon , some more loudly than others.

do you start fining them for the volume level or what , be real.
I think they should.

I think the same for players like Seles, Sharapova, etc... who grunt so loudly just to annoy their opponents.

They don't need to do it. The umpire should have the discretion to warn players about their behavior.

CMON_LLEYTON
02-05-2005, 12:52 AM
I will concede that Hewitt needs to tone down his attitude towards umpires and linesman at times when things arent going his way. That would help him to focus a lot more on the task at hand during many games.

But other than that I see no problem with his cmons or the rest of his attitude. It obviously is a benefit to him, to pump him up to lift his game and play better and win.

As for people whinging about the 2001 racial incident, I am suprised that people are still struggling to get over it. I have seen much worse in other sports, work and in real life, Im sure they have made similar personal taunts or worse themselves. Blake and Hewitt have moved on and gotten over it, so for fucks sake get over it.

And fining people for grunting, cmons, getting frustrated at themselves etc is just plain soft, it is ridiculous. People should get over this whole tennis is a gentleman's sport thing and realise that these people are actually human.

gsm
02-05-2005, 01:05 AM
I think they should.

I think the same for players like Seles, Sharapova, etc... who grunt so loudly just to annoy their opponents.

They don't need to do it. The umpire should have the discretion to warn players about their behavior.

the day that happens will be the day that i turn my back on tennis.

and are we talking about grunts or cmons here?

firstly , some players grunt heaps , some players grunt a little bit. leaving it up to an umpire to decide which is which is a recipe for disaster i think.

and on the c'mon issue , your proposal to "fine people for sreaming at the top of their lungs" makes me very sad. players would have to be on their guard at all times making sure that they dont express their emotion's outwardly , how depressing would that be?

I LOVE CMON'S!!! i can understand some people dont like it. but on the other hand , is a heap of people out there that love players going ape over certain points.

i guess we will have to agree to disagree. :)

tangerine_dream
02-05-2005, 02:19 AM
The Hewitt-Connors comparison is intriguing but I think Hewitt is a long ways off from being anywhere near Connors, personality-wise (Hewitt isn't nasty or obscene like Connors was, he's just loud)....

Hewitt was like Connors sans obscene gestures
Sunday Telegraph
Feb. 5, 2005

The first Grand Slam of 2005, the centenary Australian Open, was a memorable event. The long, at times monotonous, baseline rallies of supreme skill scripted a fascinating fortnight.

Marat Safin, the 25-year-old six-foot-four Russian, emerged triumphant, winning his second Grand Slam title after a gap of nearly five years. After an error-strewn first set in the final, Safin moved out of his mental maze into ‘the zone’ and produced three sets of awesome power and skill overwhelming Australian hope Lleyton Hewitt in four sets.

Hewitt was at his fighting best, but even with cries of ‘come on’ and piston-like fist pumping, he couldn’t summon enough power to counter Safin’s brilliance. As the lights went out on the first Australian Open final played at night, the crestfallen crowd, their hopes dashed, melted into the Melbourne night.

Come 2006, it will be exactly 30 years since an Australian (Mark Edmonston) last won the Australian Open. Aussie hearts pine for greats like Laver, Rosewall, Hoad, Emerson and a host of others now buried in history.

But wait a minute. Hewitt is no pushover, he is now No. 2 in the world. He came back from a decline, showing off rippling biceps and triceps wearing a sleeveless shirt. Physically stronger after some very rigorous training, Hewitt has added power to his groundshots and quite a few kilometres on his service.

His top-spin lob, which so many times left Safin standing in despair, has touches of Laver. But Hewitt is reluctant to attack from the net and, in my view, this is a significant shortcoming at the highest level. His intense passion, commitment and fighting spirit were a joy to watch and his matches lit up the fortnight. It was like watching Jimmy Connors without the obscene gestures.

Roger Federer lost a great match to Safin. In defeat he was dignified and composed. The flashes of brilliance which set him apart from the mortals waned as the match reached the concluding stages. Whether it was fatigue or the burden of winning an unprecedented 26 matches in a row was not clear. To me, Federer looked tired and faded. It could be that he had injured himself, and chose not talk to about it.

Whatever the reason, his earlier matches showed that he belongs to a different world, but will have to be at his best to tackle Safin on song. Federer’s big test will come in May on the slow clay of Roland Garros in the French Open. If he can win there, it will be a step ahead from the great Sampras.

Second seed Andy Roddick was most disappointing. I was surprised to see him slicing a single-handed backhand and choosing quite often to help the ball in play. His game is rooted in aggression. To curb his natural attacking instincts will destroy him. He is best with the accelerator flat to the boards. Parting from his coach, the wily fox Brad Gilbert, could prove to be his biggest blunder.

Tennis is no longer in the grip of Australians or the Americans. Russia, Argentina, Spain, France and a host of other countries have an inquenchable thirst for success. Watch them play and you can see how hard they try — as if their lives depend on the result.

Seventh seeded Serena Williams, who last won a Slam in 2003 (Wimbledon), came back from her injuries to win the women’s singles. Just one point away from defeat in the semi-final against Maria Sharapova, she fought back tenaciously to win in three sets. Serena’s greater experience won the day.

In defeat, Sharapova was impressive. She has matured and become physically stronger since Wimbledon. She now has more power on her service and groundshots and, with experience, has scope to improve further. I like the way she goes for her shots fearlessly. Not once did I see Sharapova push or pat the ball back.

Davenport was in devastating form and seemed well on way to the title. After demolishing Serena in the first set, Davenport had many break-points at 2-2 in the second set but could not convert. Then, at 2-3, Davenport lost serve after being up 40-0! After that, Davenport folded like an accordion.

Serena may have won the title but she was far from the confident champion of her pre-injury days. Her forehand is vulnerable and will be mercilessly pummelled by the Russian girls on slower surfaces. For me, the William sisters are bewildering phenomena. They have tenaciously clung to their off-court interests. Placed No. 6 on a list of worst-dressed women and being called a ‘cat walk’ menace has not affected Serena in any way apart from signing a $60 million shoe and clothing contract with Nike!

Their liberated and futuristic thinking has rubbished the hallowed concept of total tunnel-visioned focus to be a great champion. Hot pants gallantly struggling with bulging buttocks, micro-mini skirts, high-tech cooling mesh fabrics are some of Serena-endorsed creations. When the Martians land to play against the earth in the Inter Galactio Cup, they may pick a thing or two from Serena’s haute couture collection!

Apart from Sharapova, the Russian brigade drew a blank. The slow clay tournaments, their favourite hunting grounds, are just a couple of months away. Myskina, Dementieva, Kuznetsova, Zvonareva, Petrova are now seasoned campaigners and will spice up women’s tennis in 2005.

Alicia Molik, the young Australian, is the new emerging star. Strongly built, tall and tough, she has a delightful all-court game. She beat Venus Williams and went out in a close match to Davenport in the quarters. We will read a lot about her in the coming months as she’ll be right on top of the women’s game.

How can I conclude this article without talking about Sania Mirza. I was stunned to see her with one of those back-breaking garlands in an open jeep heading a motorcade to Raj Bhavan! Again, at her school brandishing a sword, like today’s Jhansi ki Rani! For a third-round appearance in a Grand Slam, this is a bit too much.Her hungry promoters are to blame for this. One is inclined to overlook this. Which one of us can resist wishing her well with her fresh bubbling utterances, the nose ring, the head mistress spectacles and gypsy earrings. I despair for her when I see the Amazons in women’s tennis. They are bigger, stronger, better and merciless.

mitalidas
02-05-2005, 02:53 AM
Hot pants gallantly struggling with bulging buttocks, micro-mini skirts, high-tech cooling mesh fabrics are some of Serena-endorsed creations. When the Martians land to play against the earth in the Inter Galactio Cup, they may pick a thing or two from Serena’s haute couture collection!

:lol:
great read
who is the joker who wrote this?

jmp
02-05-2005, 03:53 AM
You post great articles, tangerine_dream. :yeah: This one had more meat than most! I like that the author wrote like he/she understood tennis and that he/she drew specific conclusions from his/her observations. I didn't agree with all of those conclusions. But, I like that, too. :)

Minimum_Chips
02-05-2005, 05:17 AM
bob bryan said in an interview that general consensus in the locker room is that the players dont like his antics, but this doesnt bother hewitt. Hrbaty said believes hewitt gets excited sometimes at the wrong time. Its good for the crowd though.

smucav
02-05-2005, 08:34 PM
James Blake weighs in (must be a subscriber to read full article):
http://www.tennisreporters.net/news_020505.htmlTHE TennisReporters.net NEWSLETTER: SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 5, NO. 115
Blake not pleased with Hewitt's fist-pumping
Blake: "If Lleyton's more interested in winning matches than making friends in the locker room, that's his prerogative. … It's to make sure to keep a player down"

By Matthew Cronin, TennisReporters.net

FROM THE SAP OPEN IN SAN JOSE – Everybody's favorite guy, James Blake, has a beef with Lleyton Hewitt. That doesn't put the considerate 25-year-old in unusual company, but is a strong indication that the serial first pumper from Australia's act is wearing very thin.

Socket
02-05-2005, 09:10 PM
Blake should be more worried about his 1-6 record against Lleyton than what Lleyton is doing.

mitalidas
02-05-2005, 09:18 PM
Blake should be more worried about his 1-6 record against Lleyton than what Lleyton is doing.
Lol, dont you get it??
he is more concerned about his 1-6 record, that's why he is (correctly) pointing out the idiocy of hewitt's behavior
everyone can see blake's come close to getting hewitt on a bunch of occasions and probably would have if hewitt didn't indulge in unsportsmanlike behavior

Socket
02-05-2005, 09:30 PM
Lol, dont you get it??
he is more concerned about his 1-6 record, that's why he is (correctly) pointing out the idiocy of hewitt's behavior
everyone can see blake's come close to getting hewitt on a bunch of occasions and probably would have if hewitt didn't indulge in unsportsmanlike behavior
As Brad Gilbert would say, coulda, woulda, shoulda.

If it makes Blake happy to think that he lost six matches to Hewitt because of a few "c'mon's", that's his right. But it's a pretty self-defeating attitude.

mitalidas
02-05-2005, 09:47 PM
As Brad Gilbert would say, coulda, woulda, shoulda.

If it makes Blake happy to think that he lost six matches to Hewitt because of a few "c'mon's", that's his right. But it's a pretty self-defeating attitude.

brad gilbert? get your sources right --he lifted that from sex and the city

hewitt should maybe reduce his comeons and start focussing on not losing GS final with bagels. how humiliating.... Oops,sorry. I meant DOUBLE bagels :lol:

Socket
02-05-2005, 09:52 PM
brad gilbert? get your sources right --he lifted that from sex and the city

hewitt should maybe reduce his comeons and start focussing on not losing GS final with bagels. how humiliating.... Oops,sorry. I meant DOUBLE bagels :lol:
Good God, talking to you reminds me of baby-sitting bratty children . . . Welcome to my ignore list.

mitalidas
02-05-2005, 09:53 PM
Good God, talking to you reminds me of baby-sitting bratty children . . . Welcome to my ignore list.
cant take it when you hear something you dont like to, can you?
i enjoy that

Hint while you grow up: usually, disparaging other players' favourites will elicit the same response towards the players you support. CMON!!!!

FanOfHewitt
02-06-2005, 01:47 AM
So are we to infer from James Blake's words that he is more interested in making friends in the locker room than winning tennis matches? It figures.

federer express
02-06-2005, 01:52 AM
So are we to infer from James Blake's words that he is more interested in making friends in the locker room than winning tennis matches? It figures.

yup. hewitt is not playing to make friends. doing it cuz he likes to play, likes to win and gets well paid for it. am sure he has enough friends that he doesn't lose any sleep over not getting a xmas card from blake. does hewitt necessarily have more ability than blake? possibly not. but he has the better attitude which is why he will always achieve more than him!!

Raquel
02-06-2005, 02:12 AM
Exactly. He's not there to make friends. It's not high school.

And "Everybody's Favourite Guy"? Since when?

Red1989
02-06-2005, 02:25 AM
I don't think his behavior ruins that game I don't think it is great for tennis , either .