When did you first notice Tim? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

When did you first notice Tim?

thenman
07-19-2002, 08:54 PM
Hi, I was just wondering when everyone started to follow Tim's career and all..
I'm actually a relatively new fan; I first watched his semi at Wimbledon 2001 vs Ivanisevic, and was immediately on the bandwagon! :)
So when did you guys start cheering for Tim?

Go Tim
07-19-2002, 10:08 PM
You know how desparate we are for a Wimbledon champion who is British, so you hear about them pretty early. The first big match I remember watching Henman win was his epic 5 setter against Kafelnikov at Wimby in 1996 on Centre Court, but I think I remember him getting beat by Sampras the year before. Another great moment was when he beat Rusedski in the British Championship, (maybe 1995?) I think it was the first year Rusedski came over hear and he was about 40 in the world which nearly everyone in the country thought was great - to have a brit this high up the ranking, anyway Tim beat him when he must have been about 100 in the world, this was a massive shock to Greg and set the tone for things to come:)

Go Tim
07-19-2002, 10:12 PM
PS I thought all Canadians and Americans (sorry to put you together) hated Tim, I read he was just so unmarketable in Canada and the US they had given up trying.

harry_potter
07-20-2002, 03:51 AM
actually, i like him cause he looks very "english" (no offence meant to any1). reminds me of michael owen somehow. :confused: :hearts:
and of course, i like the english football team ;) :hearts:

thenman
07-20-2002, 05:43 AM
Yeah, I think Tim's said on occasion that one of his memorable matches was the one vs Kafelnikov! It must've been really awesome.
Canadians and Americans hating Tim? Hmm...I haven't heard much about that, but being a newbie to tennis, maybe it's all died down already? Of course I hope no one ever hated him, though! But there were some anti-Tim threads on WTAworld.com, I know that.
Anyway, we don't hear much about Tim. Usually they mention the "BIG" names - Agassi, Sampras, Hewitt, etc...in Canada, that is! We don't really have (m)any pro tennis players! Tim just gets really mentioned come Wimbledon, like always. Otherwise, nah - not enough coverage, in my opinion!
Yes, he does look quite "English"-y doesn't he? And I like his voice, too! :hearts:

jennifer
07-20-2002, 08:49 AM
I can't really remember but it was a few years ago when he played in the final againts Agassi in the Mercedes Cup Tournament. From then on, I knew he was gonna be my fave player. :)

Tim Henman
07-22-2002, 03:53 PM
Loyal Supporter since '96 when he got into the Wimbledon Quarter Finals and became British No.1. :)

Go Tim
07-22-2002, 07:09 PM
It's good to see you are supporting yourself Tim!http://www.westwoodi.net/~smilies/otn/blobs/multi.gif

harry_potter
07-25-2002, 02:10 AM
Originally posted by Go Tim
It's good to see you are supporting yourself Tim!http://www.westwoodi.net/~smilies/otn/blobs/multi.gif

:D lol, fellow tim fans

not you, Tim Henman, you imposter! :D

Henmaniac
08-21-2002, 04:25 PM
Supporter since the begin of Wimbledon 2001.
I saw him playing and immediatly I was a BIG fan :)