Where was Cliff Drysdale for the men's final on ESPN2? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Where was Cliff Drysdale for the men's final on ESPN2?

the cat
01-30-2005, 09:15 PM
I don't understand Cliff Drysdale getting bumped for both the women's and men's Australian Open finals in favor of Dick Enberg on ESPN2. :confused: Drysdale has done a good job for ESPN for 20 years and then all of a sudden Dick Enberg flies to Australia late int he first week of the 2005 Australian Open to help ESPN2 cover the Australian Open and Cliff Drysdale is hardly heard from again. While I like Enberg and have enjoyed his football and tennis broadscasting for a couple of decades he does not cover tennis on the day to day basis the way Drysdale does. Enberg is only a part time tennis broadcaster while Drysdale has been a full time tennis broadcaster for ESPN for 20 years or so. I don't understand why ESPN2 was so eager push Drysdale aside for Enberg. I might have understood Enberg working the women's final and Drysdale working the men's final. But Enberg worked both finals. Did Drysdale cover the finals for Channel 7 in Australia or another network? Any information would be appreciated.

aceit
01-30-2005, 09:17 PM
On ESPN2 they made it seem like he had prior commitments and they said he was flying back before the end and "they wished he could stay". That's interesting to know. I like Cliff!

Breakaway
01-30-2005, 09:19 PM
Enberg only got to commentate so much because of his history. He doesn't offer alot to the commentary. Just "Good Backhand" or "Breakpoint". At least Cliff has some deeper knowledge of tennis. I was dissapointed too.

Breakaway
01-30-2005, 09:21 PM
Oh if he had to leave because of other things then I can see why they moved Endberg in Drysdale's place.

smucav
01-30-2005, 09:36 PM
I wonder who will join Cliff for the next Davis Cup tie now that Mal has supposedly been dumped (and replaced with Gilbert). Maybe Mary?

the cat
01-30-2005, 09:48 PM
Thanks for the information ace. I didn't even know ESPN2 made it seem like Drysdale had prior commitments and couldn't stay. But I doubt Drysdale would want to miss calling the men's 2005 Australian Open final after he called the thrilling Safin/Federer Australian Open semifinal. Does anyone remember if Drysdale called last years men's final? I think he did while I believe Enberg called the women's final.

Another point in favor of Cliff is that he worked hard in november of last year by calling the women's YEC and men's YEC in back to back weeks in Los Angeles and Houston. He deserves the respect to be able to call either the women's or men's 2005 Australian Open final. But it didn't happen. I wonder if ESPN is gresing the skids for Drysdales's exist from ESPN. He's worked for ESPN for more than 20 years. They may want a change. But I think that would be a mistake.

aceit
01-30-2005, 10:02 PM
I think he did while I believe Enberg called the women's final.
According to PMac and crew, they said it was Enberg's first trip down to the Oz this year.

RodLo
01-30-2005, 10:06 PM
Wait, so will Brad be a permanent member of the ESPN commentary crew? What will happen if he gets another coaching job?? :scratch:

aceit
01-30-2005, 10:17 PM
No, he's not permament, thank goodness. Fowler said "we hope to see you back" to Gilbert which probably means "if you don't get a job, we'll let you sit on your lazy butt all day and barly commentate in France, too!".

star
01-30-2005, 10:19 PM
Gilbert was awful. I would rather look at Mal's face than Gilbert's face. Maybe Gilbert has a bit more to say than Mal, but still, I don't see that he adds much.

Please Please.... Get Courier!

RodLo
01-30-2005, 10:25 PM
No, he's not permament, thank goodness. Fowler said "we hope to see you back" to Gilbert which probably means "if you don't get a job, we'll let you sit on your lazy butt all day and barly commentate in France, too!".

Phew, thank God. I don't think I could handle listening to him for another two weeks. :rolleyes:

Eclectic Goddess
01-30-2005, 10:46 PM
I missed Cliffy.

Brad Gilbert is annoying as hell. Now I almost hope he DOES get another coaching gig, so he won't have time to commentate any more.

jole
01-30-2005, 10:47 PM
Mal is gone for good? Anyone can confirm either way?

aceit
01-30-2005, 10:48 PM
Nah, I don't think that's true. Maybe he just wasn't hired to do the AO.

MisterQ
01-30-2005, 10:54 PM
Cliff took some time off to polish his backhand: ;)

smucav
01-30-2005, 10:57 PM
Nah, I don't think that's true. Maybe he just wasn't hired to do the AO.I think Mal was also not at the Davis Cup final (replaced by Mary). He also wasn't at the TMC (again replaced by Mary). I believe the last time he was on the air was the DC semifinal in Charleston.

ESPN's press release (covered by Tennis Week) makes no mention of Mal for the whole year's tennis coverage:

http://www.sportsmediainc.com/tennisweek/index.cfm?func=showarticle&newsid=12268
Cliff Drysdale and Tim Ryan will return to call matches throughout the year, with Dick Enberg adding his legendary voice to the three Grand Slam events. Enberg will arrive in Australia on Thursday, January 20th after his NFL duties conclude. Enberg joined ESPN last year before the French Open, and the upcoming Australian Open will be his first, completing a "career Grand Slam."

Analysts Mary Carillo, Mary Joe Fernandez, Patrick McEnroe and Pam Shriver also will return for events all year. On Grand Slams, Brad Gilbert returns as an analyst and Chris Fowler as on-site host and calling select matches. When not working a match, Gilbert and Shriver will also serve as roving reporter at the three Grand Slams. Suzy Kolber will again share the host duties at the French Open and at Wimbledon.

RodLo
01-30-2005, 10:59 PM
I think Mal was also not at the Davis Cup final (replaced by Mary). He also wasn't at the TMC. I believe the last time he was on the air was the DC semifinal in Charleston.

Hm...how come? I didn't love him, but I didn't hate him either...

elizabeth_c
01-30-2005, 11:03 PM
No, he's not permament, thank goodness. Fowler said "we hope to see you back" to Gilbert which probably means "if you don't get a job, we'll let you sit on your lazy butt all day and barly commentate in France, too!".i thought i was the ONLY ONE who didn't like brad....i love cliff... :)

smucav
01-30-2005, 11:12 PM
Hm...how come? I didn't love him, but I didn't hate him either... Personally I found him very annoying & dreaded the DC coverage when he was actually commentating (instead of merely reporting courtside). He made so many mistakes about outcomes of matches, stats, records, rankings, etc.--all things that must be provided to him by the research staff--and never corrected his mistakes. Also for someone who had a mediocre career at best (4 ATP titles, one AMS final, one GS final), he had way too many personal anecdotes. Johnny Mac can get away with that, Mal sounded like he's trying to convince people he had a better career than he actually did.

aceit
01-30-2005, 11:12 PM
I'm 100% sure Mal was at the DC final cause I watched it again a few wks ago and remember his boring voice.

smucav
01-30-2005, 11:20 PM
I'm 100% sure Mal was at the DC final cause I watched it again a few wks ago and remember his boring voice. I have taped over my DC final tapes, but I only remember Cliff and Mary. (Maybe I'm blocking it out because he annoys me so much.)

He definitely wasn't at TMC: it was Cliff, PMac, & Mary (Tim Ryan filled in for Cliff the first two days while he was covering the WTA Champs & travelling to Houston). No one was doing the courtside interviews. The players had headsets until the final & then PMac went down there.

I'm just going by the wording of the press release & also by his absence in Melbourne. Also when going over some early round results of Mashona, no one added "sister of our colleague Mal" which has always been done in the past.

RodLo
01-30-2005, 11:21 PM
Personally I found him very annoying & dreaded the DC coverage when he was actually commentating (instead of merely reporting courtside). He made so many mistakes about outcomes of matches, stats, records, rankings, etc.--all things that must be provided to him by the research staff--and never corrected his mistakes. Also for someone who had a mediocre career at best (4 ATP titles, one AMS final, one GS final), he had way too many personal antedotes. Johnny Mac can get away with that, Mal sounded like he's trying to convince people he had a better career than he actually did.

Hm...you've got a point there. ;)

aceit
01-30-2005, 11:29 PM
I have taped over my DC final tapes, but I only remember Cliff and Mary. (Maybe I'm blocking it.
:lol: It's possible. But yeah, I'm sure he was there. Lucky for you that you can block him out. I don't mean to be rude, but his voice just makes me want to go to sleep!

Leena
01-30-2005, 11:35 PM
Enberg is a legend and he was great in his day. He's just too old now, and isn't a big follower of tennis.

ESPN is also probably paying him a whole lot to be there.

tennischick
01-31-2005, 12:12 AM
Cat:
from the start of this tourney there was an announcement that Dick was going to be there.

on the other hand poor Mal has gone missing and i didn't even miss him. :tape: Pam did a nice job of hanging out in the audience. they should keep using her for that -- she is much less irritating in smaller doses.

howardean
01-31-2005, 05:11 AM
i like pam and mary joe, and mary carillo (while i'm not sure what qualifications she has to commentate) is tolerable

p-mac pisses me off to no end, and tim ryan is more worthless than dick enberg

smucav
01-31-2005, 04:12 PM
mary carillo (while i'm not sure what qualifications she has to commentate) is tolerable

http://nbcumv.com/sports/bio_detail.nbc/wimbledon-0-mary-carillo.html

the cat
01-31-2005, 05:01 PM
ace, I stand corrected. You are right. This was Dick Enberg's frst trip to the Australian Open. And with Enberg broadcasting both the women's and men's Australian Open finals for ESPN2 he now has announced 92 grand slam finals. I'm sure ESPN wants Enberg to get to the magic number of 100 grand slam finals announced. And that will happen in 4 years Enberg cals the women's and men's final for the next 4 years.

I believe Tim Ryan might have broadcast last years women's final for ESPN instead of Dick Enberg. But I could be mistaken again. :(

Good point TC. Pam Shriver was very good in her role. But she's used to talking alot more so she probably had to bite her tongue to speak to the Australian Open audience. :tape: ;)

You're probably right Leena about ESPN paying Enberg very well to cover the Australian Open for the first time and complete his broadcasting career grand slam of having covered all 4 grand slams for television. But if Enberg had an NFL playoff football game to cover this past weekend he wouldn't have even gone to Australia.

smucav, thanks for the Mary Carillo link. She TC's girl! :D ;) And I like Mary too.

tennischick
01-31-2005, 08:37 PM
Mary is refreshingly honest and i love her style. but she shocked even me when she said that Mauresmo has been playing like a dog. ouch! :lol:

Turkeyballs Paco
01-31-2005, 08:42 PM
i thought i was the ONLY ONE who didn't like brad....i love cliff... :)

me too! Brad's an idiot. I missed Cliff's commentating.

the cat
01-31-2005, 09:01 PM
Brad Gilbert loves to talk about other sports when he's making a tennis point. I kind of like it. He's dofferent. But I did miss Cliff and feel bad that he was neglected in favor of the amiable sportscasting legend Dick Enberg. Drysdale should have done 1 of the finals at the 2005 Australian Open.

TC, I was also shocked Mary Carillo ripped Mauresmo like that! :eek: mauresmo did play injured against Serena and that had to play a role in her dismal performance.

And Miss Chick, do you think Mary is too hard on Serena? Alot of Williams fans are upset with what they perceive as Mary being too critical of Serena.

tennischick
01-31-2005, 09:07 PM
i think she's not critical enough of Serena. Serena is too talented to be ranked as low as she is. that is basically Mary's point -- that Serena needs to pose less and fight for her tennis wins more. who could possibly disagree with that?

now i'm off to the office. check ya later :wavey:

the cat
02-01-2005, 01:07 AM
Hi TC/Top Cat! :wavey: :cat:

I can't disagree with that. Mary is right. But you know how crazy fans get when a commentator seems to be critical of their favorite player. :eek: And TC I give you credit for being able to distance yourself from your favorite players and being able to look at criticism aimed at them with objectivity. That's not easy for fans to do.

Fedex
02-01-2005, 03:29 AM
On ESPN2 they made it seem like he had prior commitments and they said he was flying back before the end and "they wished he could stay". That's interesting to know. I like Cliff!
Yes, Cliff left before the end of the tournement. (At least, that is what I was told)

jole
02-01-2005, 03:33 AM
I've heard rumors of them signing Tim Ryan to a full-time contract. Apparently his comprehensive analysis has even the most sophisticated tennis fan foaming at the mouth and begging for more, and he is a chick magnet to boot, supposedly.

robinhood
02-01-2005, 05:25 AM
Well, if these commentators are the best they can offer, I'll take it.
I think it was refreshing to have Gilbert as a commentator this one time, but I don't think I can stand him and all those sports analogies any more should he come back for other slams.
Dick Enberg may have droopy puppy chicks that many people can relate to, but he fumbles over words way too much, and, in all honesty, ESPN made too big a deal out of his "career grand slam" thing. Enough with that!
I find Ted Robinson, Mary Carillo, and Jim Courier to be the better of the bunch. Too bad Robinson and Courier don't cover tennis full-time.

taysbest
02-01-2005, 12:24 PM
I just can't stand Dick Enbergs montages. They frustrate me so much that I don't know if I spelled montages correctly. Either way- I find them exhausting. I prefer Cliff much more. And Cliff has a sexy accent. :)

the cat
02-01-2005, 05:40 PM
Hi T_D. :wavey:

Even though I want Cliff Drysdale to be ESPN's #1 announcer, I enjoy Dick Enberg's feautures on the tournament and the city where the tounrmanent is played. I think this is what Enberg is now best suited for instead of the play by play.

Tay, you spelled montages correctly. ;)

Leena
02-01-2005, 06:58 PM
You're probably right Leena about ESPN paying Enberg very well to cover the Australian Open for the first time and complete his broadcasting career grand slam of having covered all 4 grand slams for television. But if Enberg had an NFL playoff football game to cover this past weekend he wouldn't have even gone to Australia.

I think he would have done the 2nd AFC Divisional game, since he's the on the 2nd team of announcers.

the cat
02-01-2005, 07:14 PM
He would have Leena. You are absolutely right. Broadcasting tennis certainly comes second to NFL football for Dick Enberg. But he does like the tennis and that comes accross in his work.

smucav
02-07-2005, 04:38 PM
Nah, I don't think that's true. Maybe he just wasn't hired to do the AO.

http://www.tennisreporters.net/commentary_AA_020605.htmlFROM THE BOOTH
A few of you wrote asking whether the legendary ESPN commentator Cliff Drysdale signed off permanently at the Aussie Open. He didn't and will continue with the network through this year. MaliVai Washington and ESPN did end their relationship, which is why Brad Gilbert took over at the AO. …

the cat
02-07-2005, 07:38 PM
Thanks for the link, Smucav.

PaulieM
02-09-2005, 12:02 AM
i don't like mary carillo at all, her voice is really annoying and sometimes she just tries too hard to be mean. like most people i like cliff and i'm glad that he's coming back. as for the whole brad gilbert/ mal washington thing, having BG around all the time would be way too much, although his hatred of dementieva was kind of funny. poor mal, hope he finds another job soon. I'm surprised to say though that i prefered his courtside stuff to pam shriver this year though,(she looked so stupid the way she wore that hat among other things). overall though, i don't love any of the ESPN commentators, but i won't be holding my breath waiting for them to have great coverage. :)

the cat
02-09-2005, 03:37 PM
Interesting post Paulie. It seems like people either love Mary Carillo :D or they can't stand her! :eek: I like her and have enjoyed her work for 20 years. :) But I can see how some people would not enjoy her unique voice and sometimes strong opinions. I can remember how in the mid 1980's (I think it was 1985) at an ATP tournamnet in Cincinati Mary said that she wouldn't bet the house on Stefan Edberg winning a big match and that really botherd me :mad: as Edberg was my favorite tennis player. I felt Carillo was publicly questioning the heart of a fine young tennis player in Stefan Edberg and I didn't like that. But Edberg proved Carillo wrong and I got used to Carillo's beash commentating style and have enjoyed it for the most part since.

Leena
02-09-2005, 03:59 PM
I like Carillo. She's certainly better than most of the other talking heads.

I admire brutal honesty.

the cat
02-09-2005, 04:12 PM
Leena, I think you and TC like Mary for the same reasons. Her brutal honesty. :eek: :)