who can give info about Marcos Baghdatis ? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

who can give info about Marcos Baghdatis ?

Marine
01-30-2005, 07:57 PM
I know only his name...
I just have listened to him at eurosport, and he speaks french fluently, without accent !!! :eek:
Di you know if he lives in France :confused:

trente-quinze
01-30-2005, 08:01 PM
He has been training in Paris for a few years. Don't you have the French tennis mag? there was an article on him in one of the last issues, maybe the one dated January.

Neely
01-30-2005, 08:06 PM
I know only his name...
I just have listened to him at eurosport, and he speaks french fluently, without accent !!! :eek:
Di you know if he lives in France :confused:
Yes, he is living in France. He went for several years to a French Tennis Academy and was under guidance of French coaches in his junior time.

Not sure if this is the only reason why he is speaking French so perfectly, maybe one of his parents is of French?!

Marine
01-30-2005, 08:07 PM
Ok thanks. I buy it every month but I don't remember, I will seach in all mys tennis mags.

smucav
01-30-2005, 08:10 PM
He was the #1 junior in the world in 2003 (won Australian Open junior title 2003; finalist U.S. Open juniors 2002 and 2003).

According to the media guide he has trained at the Mauratoglou Tennis Academy in Paris since January 2001.

aceit
01-30-2005, 08:15 PM
I don't have any statistical information or whatever but I know that the guy has a huge heart and is a real fighter. He was amazing at this AO and in the past few months became one of my favorites. :D

Domino
01-30-2005, 08:28 PM
He has a great coach. A really great coach, I wish more were like him.

smucav
01-30-2005, 08:31 PM
Coach is Nicolas Kopin. His training in Paris is subsidized by an Olympic Solidarity Youth Development Programme Scholarship.

lazy p
01-30-2005, 08:38 PM
at your service:).from cyprus and know marcos personally as the tennis community in cyprus is really small.used to play juniors with him.
ok he comes from a tennis family.the talent is in his blood.older brothers both played for davis cup.dad is lebanese if not mistaken and mother cypriot. he left cyprus at the age of 12-13 cauz no infrastructure&no pro future in cyprus.the only way to develop his talent was abroad.the mouratoglou tennis academy in paris recognized his talent and has invested in him ever since (wise decision as turns out to be:)
he has a great heart and huge love for the game. the vibe he brings on court is unbelievable.
makes our tiny country&all us cypriots real proud!!:yeah:

hope i've helped u out there, anything else feel free 2ask.

Jim Jones
01-30-2005, 09:02 PM
He beat Gale Monfils at finals of Orange Bowl which is equivalent to the masters

Domino
01-30-2005, 11:31 PM
dad is lebanese if not mistaken and mother cypriot.

You just found out why I took an immediate liking to the guy ;). There is a Lebanese household with his name, though I don't know how to spell it, but it is pronounced with the silent s at the end, like several Lebanese names.

Action Jackson
01-31-2005, 02:02 AM
Baghdatis's father is Lebanese, his mother is Cypriot. The last name has been Hellencised.

He has been in France for years, he speaks French, Greek and English, but no Arabic. As for the coaches Nicolas looks after the young players in Paris and Marcos is there, but Yiannis is Cypriot and the guy who travels with him on the tour.

He has some problems with tennis elbow is resting for a few weeks, then doing some training and he is in the top 100 and has no points to defend for the first 6 months of the year, and barring injury again he will move up the rankings.

Action Jackson
02-01-2005, 01:18 AM

In what way? For the record I like his coach as well.

Domino
02-01-2005, 01:22 AM
He has such a great attitude, which he seems to instill on Marcos. He gives such a relaxed presence, yet creates a solid routine. In a way, he makes the game more about having fun, rather than as a career, and I think more players should learn how to savor the moment.

Action Jackson
02-01-2005, 01:25 AM
He has such a great attitude, which he seems to instill on Marcos. He gives such a relaxed presence, yet creates a solid routine. In a way, he makes the game more about having fun, rather than as a career, and I think more players should learn how to savor the moment.

That is so spot on. This is definitely right they are from a small island and Marcos has a great attitude as well, a bit cocky but in a good way that it isn't offensive.

Auscon
02-01-2005, 01:27 AM
really like the bouncing of the ball between his legs before every serve.....very cool :)

gsm
02-01-2005, 02:22 AM
saw him play federer this month.

was struck by his happy on court presence , and the bouncing of the ball between the legs. came very close to taking another set of federer , to add to the one he took at the US open.

really hope i get to see heaps more of him. that tennis elbow george was talking about sounds concerning.

Action Jackson
02-01-2005, 02:24 AM
It's not that serious he had to manage it well as he lost in the last round of qualies at Chennai, then as he couldn't have an injection to reduce the swelling as that would have put him out of the qualies, it was plenty of treatment required, but he'll be fine.

The thing that pissed me off about the Federer match was the crowd didn't give him much encouragement until it was too late, it's not like Federer is an underdog.

gsm
02-01-2005, 02:38 AM
good to hear.

yeah he definately had a slow start to that match , which surprised me after his previous rd wins and his US open results.

lets hope that next time , he comes out of the blocks as he has in his two close sets with federer , the next time he plays fed or any other big dude.