The "There's no crying in tennis!" San Jose thread! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

The "There's no crying in tennis!" San Jose thread!

Pages : [1] 2 3

tangerine_dream
01-30-2005, 08:44 PM
Heh :p

http://tennis-sports.com/xcart/product_image.php?imageid=146

Deboogle!.
01-30-2005, 08:45 PM
:haha: great title. We left Leena the opportunity to start the thread, but hey, ya snooze ya lose :p

Defend your title, Andy!

blosson
01-30-2005, 08:52 PM
hey i'm lazy to look myself but do you know who's playing this tournament and how many points the winner gets?

blosson
01-30-2005, 08:54 PM
:haha: great title. We left Leena the opportunity to start the thread, but hey, ya snooze ya lose :p

Defend your title, Andy!

I got a flower vase just like that. :)

Deboogle!.
01-30-2005, 08:54 PM
It's a small international series tourney, so the winner gets 35 Race points, 24 for the finalist, and so on. The field is similar to last year, though not quite as strong I don't think. Maybe Andy will get Labadze, then German K-Man, then Labadze, then Melzer, and have a repeat of the AO :haha:
======
2005 SAP Open Players

Andre Agassi
James Blake
Gregory Carraz
Kenneth Carlsen
Anthony Dupuis
Thomas Enqvist
Mardy Fish
Robby Ginepri
Tommy Haas
Jan Hernych
Luke Jensen
Murphy Jensen
Philipp Kohlschreiber
Irakli Labadze
Hyung-Taik Lee
Yen-Hsun Lu
Xavier Malisse
Jurgen Melzer
Max Mirnyi
Jarkko Nieminen
Jiri Novak
Bobby Reynolds
Andy Roddick
Cyril Saulnier
Raemon Sluiter
Vince Spadea
Peter Wessels
Donald Young

Golfnduck
01-30-2005, 08:55 PM
LOL TANGY!!!! :lol:
I hope Andy does defend his title. Once again, there is a good field and it would be a good tournament for him to win.

blosson
01-30-2005, 08:56 PM
Debstah, thanks for replying so fast. It's got Agassi!!
Shame but I don't think it will be shown in the UK.
Oh well, i will check the menstennisforum for results.

aceit
01-30-2005, 08:57 PM
I love that second picture of Andy. He's giving a "Hey, look mom, I won a tennis tournament" look. :p

Deboogle!.
01-30-2005, 08:58 PM
For once, we actually get a little bit of this tourney, very rare for small tournaments here. Here's the US TV Schedule:

The tourney has an excellent site with live scoring and stuff, blosson: http://sapopentennis.com/tennis/

Yea, Lauren... well that was his first title after the USO, and after the USO he hadn't played that well, so it was a pretty big win for him even though it was a small title...

SAP Open 2005 National Television Schedule
Thursday, February 10
The Tennis Channel will begin live coverage starting at 1:00pm (PST) to conclusion of Day Session matches and The Tennis Channel will also air Evening Session matches live beginning at 7:00pm (PST)

Friday, February 11
The Tennis Channel will begin live coverage starting at 1:00pm (PST) to conclusion of Day Session matches and will also air Evening Session matches live beginning at 7:00pm (PST)

Saturday, February 12
The Tennis Channel will air the doubles semifinal live following the singles match at 1:00 p.m. PST.
FSN-WEST 2 will air semifinal #1 at 11:00 p.m. (taped)
FSN Florida will air semifinal #2 at 7:00 p.m. (live)

Sunday, February 13
The Tennis Channel will air the doubles following the 3:00 PST singles final.
FSN New England will air semifinal #2 at 1:00 p.m. (taped)
FSN Florida will air the final at 3:00 p.m. (live).
FSN-WEST 2 will air semifinal #2 at 10:00 a.m. (taped) and the finals at 5:00 p.m. (taped).

Monday, February 14
FSN Ohio will air semifinal #1 at Noon (taped) and semifinal #2 at 2:00 p.m. (taped).
FSN Northwest will air the final at Noon (taped).
FSN Chicago will air semifinal #1 at 1:00 p.m. (taped) and semifinal #2 at 2:00 p.m. (taped).

Monday, February 15
FSN Ohio will air the final at 8:00 p.m. (taped).
FSN New England will air the final at Noon (taped).
FSN Chicago will air the final at 2:00 p.m. (taped).

tangerine_dream
01-30-2005, 09:00 PM
Oh good, I'm glad they'll be showing some of it on TV. I still want to get last year's final on DVD at some point.

Glad you guys like the thread title. ;)

Deboogle!.
01-30-2005, 09:01 PM
Last year's final is one of my all-time fave Andy matches.... I thought you saw it, tangy? :confused:

Jennay
01-30-2005, 09:04 PM
Maybe Andy will get Labadze, then German K-Man, then Labadze, then Melzer, and have a repeat of the AO :haha:
No repeat of AO, thanks. :retard: :ras:

aceit
01-30-2005, 09:04 PM
I want to see it too. :sad:

Jennay
01-30-2005, 09:05 PM
FSN Florida will air semifinal #2 at 7:00 p.m. (live)
FSN Florida will air the final at 3:00 p.m. (live).
:D

Breakaway
Great that we get some tv coverage. Thanks for the news! :)

Deboogle!.
No repeat of AO, thanks. :retard: :ras:

Well I meant those matches specifically. But yea, I agre :retard:

Lauren, it was a great match. no breaks in the first set and a 15-13 TB. Then just one break in the second. Mardy and Andy both played really really well and it was a fun match. Then the ceremony after was really really funny too. Mardy found out he out-aced Andy and it was just hilarious.

aceit
Yea, Lauren... well that was his first title after the USO, and after the USO he hadn't played that well, so it was a pretty big win for him even though it was a small title...
You take the living fun out of my statements. :(

aceit
01-30-2005, 09:06 PM
How did you watch the match? Do you have the TC or something?

Deboogle!.
01-30-2005, 09:07 PM
You take the living fun out of my statements. :(

:o Sorry, I didn't mean to :tears:

It was on Fox Sports last year, too, well SOME Fox Sports outlets, they have different ones for different regions. My parents taped it for me and sent it.

Golfnduck
01-30-2005, 09:09 PM
FOX Sports Rocky Mountain aired the final live last year. Hopefully they'll air matches again this year.

tangerine_dream
01-30-2005, 09:09 PM
Deb, I did see the final (you loaned it to me, remember? :p ) but I still want to own it on DVD.

Andy: "I can't wait to win another flower pot!"

Deboogle!.
01-30-2005, 09:10 PM
Deb, I did see the final (you loaned it to me, remember? :P ) but I still want to own it on DVD.

Okay, that's what I thought :p

Sorry, I don't have the equipment to burn DVDs :(

That really is a boring trophy. It just looks like a vase. Whoopdedo. lmfao

How annoying that Fox Sports West is showing the matches taped :ras:

simpletennis
01-30-2005, 09:13 PM
yay, i'm so happy, i get to watch andy and mardy this year in san jose

superpinkone37
01-30-2005, 09:38 PM
Like, youre going to the tourney? Niice

Neely
01-30-2005, 09:38 PM
Lauren, it was a great match. no breaks in the first set and a 15-13 TB.
this tiebreak was really cool :smoke:

And if Fish can't defend some points what he did in San Jose and Memphis, his ranking will drop like a stone...

aceit
01-30-2005, 09:39 PM
And if Fish can't defend what he did in San Jose and Memphis, his ranking will drop like a stone...
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh don't jinx it.

Deboogle!.
01-30-2005, 09:40 PM
this tiebreak was really cool :smoke:

It's cool to watch NOW, but it was NOT cool following on the scoreboard last year. NOT COOL AT ALL! lmao... I'm bad during normal tiebreaks.... during that one I was still in Texas in the dorm and I kept running across the hall to talk to my friends to distract myself :sobbing:

And if Fish can't defend some points what he did in San Jose and Memphis, his ranking will drop like a stone...

oh my god, I know. :(

Neely
01-30-2005, 09:49 PM
It's cool to watch NOW, but it was NOT cool following on the scoreboard last year. NOT COOL AT ALL! lmao... I'm bad during normal tiebreaks.... during that one I was still in Texas in the dorm and I kept running across the hall to talk to my friends to distract myself :sobbing:
:rolls: I'm not sure yet if we in Germany can enjoy something of these early US indoor/hardcourt tournaments this year as well, but I remember that, last year, it was pretty well covered beginning at quarterfinals and that I could watch Fish vs Agassi, Fish vs Roddick and lots of Kiefer matches.

Secretly, for this tournament, I'm still hoping for another Haas vs Roddick meeting to get on TV... their Olympic match was more than entertaining IMO, to say the least.

Deboogle!.
01-30-2005, 09:51 PM
Secretly, for this tournament, I'm still hoping for another Haas vs Roddick meeting to get on TV... their Olympic match was more than entertaining IMO, to say the least.

Well, Tommy should be #3 seed, and considering the rest of the tourney is sort of weak, he and Andy should both certainly live up to their seedings, so maybe they'll meet in the SF or Final :cool:

superpinkone37
01-30-2005, 10:08 PM
awww ):

simpletennis
01-30-2005, 10:24 PM
yea, i'm going to the actual match. it's only one day though, i've got school and all that stuff. can't wait, only a week and a half away

Deboogle!.
01-30-2005, 10:25 PM
yea, i'm going to the actual match. it's only one day though, i've got school and all that stuff. can't wait, only a week and a half away

Lucky you! I'm sure it'll be a blast :)

Jace (1jackson2001) went to the finals last year... are you going again Jace? I forget what you said...

superpinkone37
01-30-2005, 10:44 PM
oh yeah I was gonna ask that too...if Jace was planning to go :p

djb272727
01-30-2005, 11:14 PM
Go Andy!!! Bounce Back with a title win!!!

RodFan08
01-30-2005, 11:23 PM

Have fun!!! Let us know, how it went, k :wavey: :)

andyroxmysox12191
01-30-2005, 11:38 PM
I'm not getting it on tv either :sad:
Great title tangy :yeah: leena must be so upset she couldn't make this ;) :hug:

Leena
01-30-2005, 11:40 PM
:cry:

I'll certainly start the Memphis... the field is worse there, and Andy will definitely win. :p

djb272727
01-30-2005, 11:45 PM
I hope Andy regains his confidence with a title win here, he definately deserves it.

simpletennis
01-30-2005, 11:56 PM
Have fun!!! Let us know, how it went, k :wavey: :)

alright, sure will

simpletennis
01-30-2005, 11:57 PM
yea, he's defending his title, andy won it last year against fish. hopefully he'll win again

J. Corwin
01-31-2005, 12:02 AM
Lucky you! I'm sure it'll be a blast :)

Jace (1jackson2001) went to the finals last year... are you going again Jace? I forget what you said...

Nope I'm not going this year... :sad:

And now I see it's taped on TV. :mad:

J. Corwin
01-31-2005, 12:06 AM
Wait...I don't get this. SAP tennis is RIGHT HERE and they're showing it to us taped?? And Florida, all the way on the other side of the country, gets it live. :ras::ras:

Deboogle!.
01-31-2005, 12:14 AM
Wait...I don't get this. SAP tennis is RIGHT HERE and they're showing it to us taped?? And Florida, all the way on the other side of the country, gets it live. :ras::ras:

Sorry you're not going again :(

:( That sucks.

No wait, it's live for you, if you get FSN Bay Area!
=====
SAP Open 2005 Bay Area Television Schedule
Saturday, February 12 – starting at 1:00pm (PST) – singles semifinal live on FSN Bay Area & doubles semifinal live on The Tennis Channel.

Saturday, February 12 – starting at 7:00pm (PST) - singles semifinal live on FSN Bay Area.

Sunday, February 13 – starting at 3:00pm (PST) – singles final live on FSN Bay Area & doubles final live on The Tennis Channel .

Monday, February 14 -- starting at Noon (PST) -- singles final repeat on FSN Bay Area.

J. Corwin
01-31-2005, 12:22 AM
Thank you so much! :hug::hug:

That's much more like it. :cool:

djb272727
01-31-2005, 12:25 AM
I really hope he can win this and gain his confidence back. Good Luck!

J. Corwin
01-31-2005, 12:27 AM
Hey djb!

Well he *should* win this, and if he doesn't then :retard: I just hope he isn't deflated after his AO semis disappoint and all that mental junk.

tangerine_dream
01-31-2005, 01:10 AM
Tabula rasa, Andy. :banana: Forget AO and start fresh here. :) Good draw, good players, you can defend your title here. BELIEVE IN YOURSELF. :worship:

About other tourneys, I wonder if a DC match will be played anywhere near me :scratch: I loved the experience in Connecticut last year. I'll probably make it a habit to see DC every year if it's on the East Coast somewhere. :yeah:

I also love the Long Island tournament and if Lleyton's going to be there again, I'm def going. :banana:

With no DC to spend my money on, maybe this year will finally be the year I actually make it to USO. :dance:

Katdiva7
01-31-2005, 01:32 AM
Tabula rasa, Andy.
Hehe, one can only hope!

Leena
01-31-2005, 02:00 AM
Yay. We finally get FSN here. Hopefully, they'll show some live tennis. It's not like they have anything else to show.

smucav
01-31-2005, 03:43 AM
Maybe Andy will draw Donald Young in the first round and welcome him to the ATP the same way he "welcomed" Scoville at the USO.

Deboogle!.
01-31-2005, 03:48 AM
Maybe Andy will draw Donald Young in the first round and welcome him to the ATP the same way he "welcomed" Scoville at the USO.

:lol: that would :rocker2: and be :cool:

Carito_90
01-31-2005, 03:54 AM
When does SJ start? Tomorrow or next week?

Deboogle!.
01-31-2005, 03:58 AM
Next week - Feb. 7. Delray Beach starts tomorrow :)

Iheartandy&roger
01-31-2005, 06:34 AM
He better win this one or he's in big trouble.

Éowyn
01-31-2005, 06:57 AM
i have a very bad feeling andy is going to be takingon all my boys in one tourny! he'll get james, robby, mardy and tommy!

Éowyn
01-31-2005, 06:59 AM
I'll certainly start the Memphis... the field is worse there, and Andy will definitely win. :p

seem to remember you saying that about the semi final :lol:

Éowyn
01-31-2005, 07:04 AM

that was a fun match to watch in more ways than one :drool:

J. Corwin
01-31-2005, 09:39 AM
i have a very bad feeling andy is going to be takingon all my boys in one tourny! he'll get james, robby, mardy and tommy!

all this beetchas :devil: :armed: :aplot:

:drive:

heya
01-31-2005, 02:18 PM
Luckily, I'll see this on fsn again, but they don't show the great matches before the semis.
:retard:Bravo channel didn't show much of Andy @Olympics . :mad:

Deboogle!.
01-31-2005, 03:28 PM
all this beetchas :devil: :armed: :aplot:

:drive:

:lol:

Well Tommy's not his bitch yet. But indoors, now, I'd like Andy's chances :p

djb272727
01-31-2005, 09:01 PM
Andy knows how to handle Haas on the faster surfaces now.....he should get past him,if he's ready.

tangerine_dream
01-31-2005, 09:59 PM
Haas is exactly the kind of player Andy needs in early rounds and not some Kohlschreiber dude. :banana:

Jennay
01-31-2005, 10:03 PM
Delray Beach :rolls: Boring draw. :p

djb272727
01-31-2005, 10:18 PM
I agree, if he gets past Haas early, he will get confidence and nobody would stop him in the later rounds :D

Tytta!.
01-31-2005, 10:30 PM
My leftie defends title in Delray :banana:

Deboogle!.
02-01-2005, 01:09 AM
I agree, if he gets past Haas early, he will get confidence and nobody would stop him in the later rounds :D

He won't get Tommy early in San Jose - he won't get him til at least the SF, Tommy won't be below the 4th seed I don't think. Someone good to face early, though, would be Mardy.

Golfnduck
02-01-2005, 01:26 AM
He won't get Tommy early in San Jose - he won't get him til at least the SF, Tommy won't be below the 4th seed I don't think. Someone good to face early, though, would be Mardy.
Their matches are always close. It would be nice to have Andy challenged early.

Neely
02-01-2005, 02:57 AM
Andy knows how to handle Haas on the faster surfaces now.....he should get past him,if he's ready.
Haas is a terrific indoor player... not sure if he will ever reach that level again like he was in the past, but if Haas plays anywhere near what he could deliver last year at his good tournaments, I can promise you that the match will be decided -unlike their Cincy TMS meeting- by a few points, if not even small edge for Haas, as he isn't afraid of playing on the fastest surfaces either

Breakaway
02-01-2005, 04:05 AM
If Roddick and Haas meet I think it will be a good match but I think Roddick will pull through. :)

But then again I am an Andy Fan so what am I supposed to think? He's gonna lose horribly? *knocks on wood* :p

Neely
02-01-2005, 09:07 AM
If Roddick and Haas meet I think it will be a good match but I think Roddick will pull through. :)
okay, I agree :angel: ... small advantage for Andy ;) :cool:

Éowyn
02-01-2005, 08:35 PM
lols jace tommy is hardly andys bitch! andy wa svery much tommy's bitch till not long ago!

Éowyn
02-01-2005, 08:40 PM
Haas is a terrific indoor player... not sure if he will ever reach that level again like he was in the past, but if Haas plays anywhere near what he could deliver last year at his good tournaments, I can promise you that the match will be decided -unlike their Cincy TMS meeting- by a few points, if not even small edge for Haas, as he isn't afraid of playing on the fastest surfaces either

hey have faith in tommy he'll get back up there again, just not at expense of andy i hope. tommy was looking good to begin with at AO before that collapse, i still haven't worked out exactly what happened there, was like he just decided he wasn't interested anymore :confused: but yes i think tommy will pick up again an di don't thinkit'd be an easy match for andy.

would be an enteratining match thats for sure. shame it doens'ty look like it's gonna be shown here

djb272727
02-01-2005, 08:40 PM
I think that close win over Haas at the olympics will help Andy a lot if he were to play Tommy, and I think Andy would definately beat Mardy because Mardy's form is poor now. GO ANDY!

Éowyn
02-01-2005, 08:45 PM
Haas is exactly the kind of player Andy needs in early rounds and not some Kohlschreiber dude. :banana:

except of course if tommy beats him and andys confidence and ranking will just get worse :eek:

djb272727
02-01-2005, 08:47 PM
I hope not! :sad:

Éowyn
02-01-2005, 08:51 PM
I think that close win over Haas at the olympics will help Andy a lot if he were to play Tommy, and I think Andy would definately beat Mardy because Mardy's form is poor now. GO ANDY!

andy would beat mardy coz he always does! mardy spends too long drooling over andy! it's not poor form by mardy! compared to the form mardy had when i started supporting him this is nothing! he's always been this way. he's a player who likes to be the underdog and win them when he's not expected to win them. but lose the ones he's expected to, he'll get there he's gotta get his head in the right place. that being said you can underestimate him, he could upset andy but i doubt it ALOT!

James or Robby would be more likely to upset him than mardy but again unlikely! It all depends on Andy if Andy's on form then the only person in that draw who should challenge him is Agassi, but he has to be on form, and get his confidence back, i think he'll do ok.

Deboogle!.
02-01-2005, 08:56 PM
Uh, Andy's record against Mardy, James, and Robby is like 918204982098-1 and the 1 win is when Andy retired against Mardy. James and Robby won't beat Andy, and Mardy doesn't seem to be able to mentally lmao

Andy's ranking wouldn't drop if he lost to Tommy in the SF or F...confidence is another story.

Golfnduck
02-01-2005, 09:11 PM
Uh, Andy's record against Mardy, James, and Robby is like 918204982098-1 and the 1 win is when Andy retired against Mardy. James and Robby won't beat Andy, and Mardy doesn't seem to be able to mentally lmao

Andy's ranking wouldn't drop if he lost to Tommy in the SF or F...confidence is another story.
I agree with you Deb. I think if he won San Jose, and improved on his performance in Memphis, his confidence would be higher for the masters series events and Davis Cup.

Tytta!.
02-01-2005, 09:13 PM
Well he better do great in those 2 tournaments otherwise we'll have smashing time again ;)

Golfnduck
02-01-2005, 09:18 PM
Well he better do great in those 2 tournaments otherwise we'll have smashing time again ;)
We won't need smashing time, he'll do fine. With Doug's assistance, Dean will pull Andy's head out of his ass.

Tytta!.
02-01-2005, 09:21 PM
Well Andy himself decides what is better for him ;)

smucav
02-01-2005, 09:53 PM
Uh, Andy's record against Mardy, James, and Robby is like 918204982098-1 and the 1 win is when Andy retired against Mardy.
As is often quoted by PMac, Andy's record v. the U.S. "young guns" is 21-2 (one loss to Dent; one loss by retirement to Fish). It's slightly better than his record against Spainards (25-4).

Leena
02-01-2005, 11:31 PM
Andy best be prepared for 10 straight wins in the next 2 weeks...

Or WHAM!

Out of my signature. Like Karlovic, when he got broken at love.

Deboogle!.
02-02-2005, 12:14 AM
Wow, Leena, look who's being hard on him now? :p

Anyway, Andy gave a teleconference today ahead of this tourney. hence why I'm posting this here :p
--------------
Roddick ready to bounce back after Australian Open

JANIE McCAULEY

Associated Press

After falling short in the Australian Open a year ago, Andy Roddick's tournament title in San Jose helped him get headed back in the right direction.

He's counting on that being the case this time, too.

Roddick believes he beat himself in his frustrating four-set semifinal loss to Lleyton Hewitt last week in Melbourne, and the No. 3-ranked American is anxious to return to California to try to defend his title in San Jose.

"Obviously, the opportunity was there," Roddick said Tuesday of his 3-6, 7-6 (3), 7-6 (4), 6-1 defeat to eventual Australian runner-up Hewitt. "I don't know how much I let it slip away. I wish things had gone differently. I didn't step up and take my chances the way I should have. I'm still disappointed. It's been running through my mind the last couple days. ... Losing isn't fun, it never is. It never gets any easier."

He will be making his fourth career appearance in San Jose, where the tournament name has switched from the Siebel Open to the SAP Open. The top-seeded Roddick, who plays his first match next Wednesday night, beat countryman and close friend Mardy Fish in straight sets to win the tournament last year.

That victory came on the heels of a quarterfinal loss to Marat Safin - this year's Australian Open champion - in Melbourne that caused Roddick to lose his top ranking. It was also Roddick's first title after he captured his first Grand Slam tournament in September 2003 at the U.S. Open.

"Once I get to San Jose I'll start focusing more on that tournament," Roddick said during a teleconference. "Last year I came in and had lost a tough match at the Aussie Open as well. When I got to San Jose, I may not have been playing my best tennis, but I felt like I played really well to get a win there last year. It definitely was a great kind of springboard into the year."

Now, Roddick has a new coach in Dean Goldfine after parting ways in December with Brad Gilbert, his coach for 1 1/2 years.

Roddick is focused on improving his backhand and developing his serve-and-volley game. He is excited about how things are going with Goldfine. Roddick's training is well organized, he said.

"Everything's positive right now. I think it's an overall package," he said of the coach. "He's worked with a couple top-10 guys. Obviously, we developed a relationship. I just like his whole groove."

After arriving home from Australia, Roddick immediately was busy again.

On Monday night, he, Tommy Haas, John McEnroe, Chris Evert and Jim Courier played in a fund-raiser in Houston that raised more than $518,000 for tsunami relief. Roddick then drove back to his home in Austin that night.

He now enters into an important stretch of the schedule in which winning matches can separate the top players in the points totals.

"I don't think about it as defending or not defending," he said. "If you win matches you're going to put points on the board."

What's the best way to get back on track after losing in a Grand Slam?

"If you start winning again," he said. "You know, I think actually getting back into it is almost like therapy."

Jennay
02-02-2005, 12:17 AM
Andy best be prepared for 10 straight wins in the next 2 weeks...

Or WHAM!

Out of my signature. Like Karlovic, when he got broken at love.
I have a feeling you are being totally serious. :p

Carito_90
02-02-2005, 12:32 AM
Roddick is focused on improving his backhand and developing his serve-and-volley game. He is excited about how things are going with Goldfine. Roddick's training is well organized, he said.

"Everything's positive right now. I think it's an overall package," he said of the coach. "He's worked with a couple top-10 guys. Obviously, we developed a relationship. I just like his whole groove."

:banana: :banana:

Leena
02-02-2005, 01:30 AM
I have a feeling you are being totally serious. :p
After watching the infamous Houston commercial 1242134 times, Andy better believe I'm serious.

Deboogle!.
02-02-2005, 02:09 AM
what infamous Houston commercial?

Leena
02-02-2005, 02:32 AM
For the first year the TMC was in Houston. It was only shown 132341234 times in 2003. :p

Deboogle!.
02-02-2005, 02:39 AM
ohhhhhhh you mean Mattress Mack's wonderful piece of advertising? HAHAHA

aceit
02-02-2005, 02:43 AM
:scared: Not the Houston screaming guy commerical! :bolt:

Deboogle!.
02-02-2005, 02:44 AM
the screaming guy IS Mattress Mack :haha:

aceit
02-02-2005, 02:47 AM
But I'm just saying that it's the name I give it. ;) "The Annoying Screaming Guy TMC Commerical".

Hmm... I don't know why I didn't mention it as my FAVORITE commercial in marketing. :rolleyes:

heya
02-02-2005, 08:50 AM
AWWW Little Andy's tennis court had shrunk because he lost his talent.

Same stubbornness. Same distractions. Same low-class, white trash attitude. Same self-destruction. Same interview answers.

Don't expect too much from Andy because you'll always see the immature, inappropriate jokes that he learned from his pals.
He's really not this lost, pitiful person. :sad:

30-30 all, double faults, choked again, cried in the locker room, flew home to cry to mommy. "Sorry, mate."
Ljubicic and Mattress Mc are proud.

At least, Karlovic wasn't fooled by the lame media & manipulative morons.
psst, pea-brained PMc & Gilbert sure rehearsed everything they said about Andy.
*smirk "Andy blinked." "Andy will win." Sounds so familiar...

Bye bye Andy.... :bigwave:

Breakaway
02-03-2005, 01:49 AM
Isn't the tour championships in Shanghai this year??? So no annoying Mattress Mac guy right? :)

Breakaway
02-03-2005, 01:51 AM
Or is he going to be screaming for the Houston Clay Court Championships. :mad:

Deboogle!.
02-03-2005, 01:57 AM
Yes, they go to Shanghai for the next 3 years..

Mack does do commercials for the Houston Claycourts, but I only ever saw those when I was actually IN houston, I dont think he goes national with those :scratch:

aceit
02-03-2005, 02:09 AM
They do. I've seen em.

carrotyoung
02-03-2005, 02:23 AM
Donald Young is in the main draw? I'm guessing its a wild card. I wonder if he can do any damage.

Deboogle!.
02-03-2005, 02:23 AM
oh, I feel sorry for the rest of you then LOL

yes, carrotyoung, he was given a wildcard. He could win a round or two, depending on his draw.

aceit
02-03-2005, 02:27 AM
If you mute the commercial, it's not too shabby because it includes a bunch of my favorites. :)

Leena
02-03-2005, 03:57 AM
I hope Young draws Andy in the 1st round... so maybe we can see another .02 odds like against Scoville.

J. Corwin
02-03-2005, 04:41 AM
I want to see Young play for the first time...but since he's not going to be making the semis.... :(

smucav
02-03-2005, 06:24 PM
Radio Tennis.com To Web Cast SAP Open On Monday (http://www.sportsmediainc.com/tennisweek/index.cfm?func=showarticle&newsid=12368&bannerregion=)

superpinkone37
02-03-2005, 07:00 PM
oh cool! THanks smucav

Deboogle!.
02-04-2005, 03:26 PM
Roddick looks to bounce back in San Jose
- Dwight Chapin, Chronicle Senior Writer
Friday, February 4, 2005

At 22, Andy Roddick is a little young for a fresh start, but that is what he is looking at right now, following his semifinal loss to Lleyton Hewitt in the Australian Open.

Roddick will bounce from the land down under to the South Bay next week for the SAP Open, the renamed men's stop on the ATP Tour, at HP Pavilion.

He is the tournament's defending champion, and in a conference call earlier this week he seemed eager to try for a repeat as the 2005 tour grind begins.

Focus, he said, should not be a problem, despite his four-set loss to Hewitt.

"I actually think getting back into tennis is kind of like therapy," he said. "Once I get to San Jose, I'll start focusing more on that tournament. If I start winning there, that will be my freshest memory in tennis. So hopefully, we can get there and get back on a good footing."

Roddick was speaking from his home in Austin, Texas, just hours after he had played with a number of his sport's big names in an exhibition that raised more than $500,000 to aid the Bush-Clinton fund for tsunami victims.

Roddick doesn't stop long anywhere these days as he tries to regain the top ranking in men's tennis, a position he held at the end of 2003. He was ranked second at the end of 2004, and is now No. 3, behind Roger Federer and Hewitt.

That would be plenty good enough for most people, but not for an ambitious young man who reveled in being at the summit.

He conceded that the loss to Hewitt, before a crowd that sometimes got to him, stung.

"Obviously, the opportunity was there (to win)," Roddick said. "I don't know how much I let it slip away. Unfortunately, I was playing a guy in form, and I didn't step up and take my chances the way I should have. I'm still disappointed."

But eager to get going again.

Last year, Roddick was loose and easy in San Jose, tossing out one-liners over a microphone from the sidelines as his coach, Brad Gilbert, played an exhibition match. Later in the week, his girlfriend, singer/actress Mandy Moore, attracted a lot of attention at courtside as she watched his matches.

A lot has changed since then. He and Moore have split and a few weeks ago, Roddick fired Gilbert, who helped guide him to the No. 1 ranking, a U.S. Open title and an .823 winning percentage. Roddick's new coach, Dean Goldfine, was an assistant on the U.S. Olympic and Davis Cup teams last year.

Roddick was not very expansive on why he decided on the coaching switch, and what Goldfine might mean to his game and his career.

"It's tough to say, because it hasn't been that long," Roddick said. "I love Dean as a person and I think his work ethic is contagious. When we train together, it's very organized, and we've been getting along great on a personal basis. Everything's positive right now."

Roddick already has proven he can be a team player, with the U.S. Davis Cup team, and he will be competing for his country again this year, perhaps in combination with good friend (and chief SAP Open rival) Andre Agassi, beginning March 4 against Croatia.

Still, it is as an individual that he will leave his mark in tennis. He knows that winning Grand Slams and somehow supplanting the mighty Federer at the top of the rankings is the surest way to do that.

Tytta!.
02-04-2005, 03:30 PM
I just hope he'll play a good tournament and hopefully defend the title...
Anyway thanks for the article :D

Golfnduck
02-04-2005, 06:45 PM
I think we'll see more changes in his game during this tournament than at AO. Mainly because Dean has had more time to work with Andy. I think he'll defend his title.

Deboogle!.
02-04-2005, 06:59 PM
Maybe he needs to stop trying to change his game for a while. Maybe he needs to go back to basics and make sure his serve and forehand are what they need to be so he can get back to his mentally strong, fighting mentality.

I dunno... just throwing ideas out there.

It'd be nice to see Andy really hit out on this fast indoor surface.

smucav
02-04-2005, 07:23 PM
highlight video (http://www.sapopentennis.com/tennis/photos/SAPPromo2.wmv) (2004 Champion Andy Roddick Returns in 2005!!!)

Deboogle!.
02-05-2005, 12:19 AM
According to Fee, who posted this in the tourney thread.. the draw's been made

"Roddick v Qualifier, then the winner of JM Gambill v HT Lee"

Looks good so far :)

Edit: The whole draw is out

Mardy is in Andy's quarter and Tommy is in his half. yikes.

Tytta!.
02-05-2005, 12:27 AM
OOOOOOOOOOO

First 2 rounds he better win :lol:

Deboogle!.
02-05-2005, 12:29 AM
really, he better win them all! :p

Leena
02-05-2005, 12:30 AM
Andy's draw is yucky.

I wouldn't be surprised if he loses to Mardy. :sad:

Tytta!.
02-05-2005, 12:31 AM
Well... yeah... :rolleyes: :smash:

Deboogle!.
02-05-2005, 12:31 AM
Andy's draw is yucky.

I wouldn't be surprised if he loses to Mardy. :sad:

um.

have you ever seen any of their matches?

Plus that would require Mardy making the QF - he hasn't gotten past the 2nd round since the Olympics.

Andy really should not lose to Mardy. If he does, then there are biggggggggggg problems. IMO, Tommy is the only one in his half who he can lose to and still be able to show his face the next day.

Tytta!.
02-05-2005, 12:34 AM
I agree, Deb...

Let's be positive... Andy'll win it all :banana:

Leena
02-05-2005, 12:36 AM
um.

have you ever seen any of their matches?

Plus that would require Mardy making the QF - he hasn't gotten past the 2nd round since the Olympics.

Andy really should not lose to Mardy. If he does, then there are biggggggggggg problems. IMO, Tommy is the only one in his half who he can lose to and still be able to show his face the next day.
I saw one.

Since Andy can't break serve, he'll lose like 6-7 7-6 6-7. Oh well.

Deboogle!.
02-05-2005, 12:39 AM
Yes, but Mardy can't beat Andy.

and he's not so good at breaking either - it's fast indoor surface.

last year there was one break in their match, extremely high quality. Mardy mini-choked in the 15-13 tiebreaker. Andy loves owning all the Americans, he tends to play better when he meets his pals. Mardy can't even beat people he's supposed to beat, let alone his buddy.

I stand by my statement - considering the surface, the players and their history, and Mardy's recent form, Andy should beat him and if he loses, he has bigger problems than we thought. (the only caveat is if somehow Mardy finds incredible form and blows Andy off the court. But there is no reason to believe this will happen). Mardy could very well lose to Enqvist or Ginepri, too, mind you.

Plus Andy needs a test like this - he needs to be forced to play well. As I said, if he can't raise his level and play confidently and loosely, he has bigger problems than we thought even after the AO..

Tytta!.
02-05-2005, 12:44 AM
I like seeing the positive Deb showing up ;) :sobbing:

Leena
02-05-2005, 12:48 AM
I'd be a lot more positive if Andy played Ginepri in the QF.

Then Kohlschreiber.

Tytta!.
02-05-2005, 12:49 AM
Well me too :haha:

Deboogle!.
02-05-2005, 12:51 AM
Andy owns Mardy the same way he owns Robby, some of their matches have been just tougher b/c Mardy's serve is better.

Roddick leads Ginepri 4-0:

2004 Indianapolis, Hard, R16
IN, U.S.A. Hard R16 Roddick 7 6 6 4
2003 Memphis, Hard, Q
TN, U.S.A. Hard Q Roddick 6 4 6 4
2002 San Jose, Hard, R32
CA, U.S.A. Hard R32 Roddick 6 4 6 4
2000 Knoxville, CH, Hard, R32
Tennessee, USA Hard R32 Roddick 6 2 5 7 7 6

Roddick leads Fish 3-1:

2004 San Jose, Hard, F
CA, U.S.A. Hard F Roddick 7 6 6 4
2003 Cincinnati TMS, Hard, F
Ohio, USA Hard F Roddick 4 6 7 6 7 6
2003 Washington, Hard, Q
DC, U.S.A. Hard Q Roddick 6 1 6 4
2003 Delray Beach, Hard, R32
FL, U.S.A. Hard R32 Fish 6 7 3 4

Actually, the one you should be worried about is if Tompa gets through :lol: Andy's lost both their indoor matches, including last year in Memphis (But he was injured - back)

Roddick is tied with Enqvist 2-2:

2004 USA v. SWE WG Qtrs, Hard, RR
Delray Beach Hard RR Roddick 6 4 7 5 6 2
2004 Memphis, Hard, Q
TN, U.S.A. Hard Q Enqvist 6 7 3 6
2003 Indian Wells TMS, Hard, R64
California, USA Hard R64 Roddick 6 4 6 4
2001 Stuttgart TMS, Hard, R16
Germany Hard R16 Enqvist 3 6 7 6 6 7

Leena
02-05-2005, 12:53 AM
Enqvist doesn't worry me so much now. He loses to crap players every week now.

So does Fish. But meh. I'm just worried that Andy can't break him.

Deboogle!.
02-05-2005, 12:54 AM
Andy just broke Rusedski like 5 times in one match. Mardy's serve is not as good as his. Different surface, yes, but Mardy's serve has not been very dependable lately.

I will repeat my statement for the third time. If Andy loses to Mardy he has a really big problem.

And especially considering Mardy hasn't won two matches in a row since August, I don't think he is a given to make the QF Anyway. he and robby haven't played since challengers in 2001-02, interestingly enough, but Robby is 2-0 against him, both pretty easily. And even though Mardy is 2-0 against Tompa, their indoor match was very tight, Tompa's best surface is indoors.

Of course, Mardy had a horrific start to 2004, then he got to San Jose and made the singles final, beating Andre, and won the doubles title. So maybe he will magically find his form again. But he was playing great last year and Andy beat him (and Andy wasn't really at his best, he played well, but not GREAT).... so yeah.

Deboogle!.
02-05-2005, 01:14 AM
So Andy's match is already scheduled for Wednesday at 7pm (Pacific time!)

Interesting that Jan-Mike and Lee play Monday night so they play Monday then not again til Thursday and Andy has to play Wed. and Thurs... not that it really matters, they just usually schedule draws more closely.

Golfnduck
02-05-2005, 03:09 AM
So Andy's match is already scheduled for Wednesday at 7pm (Pacific time!)

Interesting that Jan-Mike and Lee play Monday night so they play Monday then not again til Thursday and Andy has to play Wed. and Thurs... not that it really matters, they just usually schedule draws more closely.
Well, two matches in a row for Andy. He better blow the quali off the court.

Deboogle!.
02-05-2005, 03:10 AM
Considering that the last direct entry was Jeff Morrison who is well outside the top 100, I am not concerned by any qualifier Andy might face.

smucav
02-05-2005, 03:59 AM
http://www.sapopentennis.com/tennis/images/popup/PopUp012005.gif

http://www.sapopentennis.com/tennis/images/popup/PopUp02052005.gif

smucav
02-05-2005, 04:05 AM
Second-round matches start Wednesday.
http://www.sapopentennis.com/tennis/schedule/

Deboogle!.
02-05-2005, 04:07 AM
But not Andy's (and that's who I was talking about)... it's not possible for him to play his first and second round matches on the same day ;) silly smucav :p

Though it seems unfair to Andy and Mardy (and their opponents, should they upset) that they won't play their 1st match til some other people are done with their 2nd...

Deboogle!.
02-05-2005, 04:44 AM
I didn't say that all 2nd round matches are on Thursday.... I said that Jan-Mike/Lee's will be, and it will be because the winner plays Andy and Andy's match can't be til Thursday. I was just saying that either Jan-Mike or Lee (and either Robby or Donald) will have 2 days off in between matches while their opponents will have no days off, and that that's unusual b/c usually tourneys are cool about keeping the draws scheduled together.

I know I didn't make a mistake, I thought about it carefully before I posted. :p

Tytta!.
02-05-2005, 12:03 PM
Well, two matches in a row for Andy. He better blow the quali off the court.

No kidding...

Deboogle!.
02-06-2005, 05:50 AM
How about, time for some stupid idiotic hour with Brad ;)

2.5.2005 -

Junior phenomenon Donald Young will be playing his first ATP match Monday night in San Jose against Robbie Ginepri. I was worried before the draw came out because I thought that he might have to face a top seed like Andre, Andy, or Haas, not that he won’t have his hands full with Robbie. This kid really over-achieved in the juniors. I know he’s still very young to be playing in his first ATP match, but he’s earned the right to be here. I was able to catch four of his matches in Australia. Sometimes he comes in; other times he stays back and cracks the forehand. The thing that really stuck out was how well he moves and that he knows how to win matches. He still needs to improve his serve.

Leena
02-06-2005, 06:05 AM
I didn't say that all 2nd round matches are on Thursday.... I said that Jan-Mike/Lee's will be, and it will be because the winner plays Andy and Andy's match can't be til Thursday. I was just saying that either Jan-Mike or Lee (and either Robby or Donald) will have 2 days off in between matches while their opponents will have no days off, and that that's unusual b/c usually tourneys are cool about keeping the draws scheduled together.

I know I didn't make a mistake, I thought about it carefully before I posted. :p
That's questionable scheduling, to say the least.

I think it's quite a disadvantage having your 1st round match on Wednesday night... that's 5 matches in 4 1/2 days, en route to the title. I know I feel like crap when I play 3 competitive matches in 3 days... and pros must not like it either.

I can't see why these indoor tournaments don't try to fit in all 1st round matches by early Wednesday... then, have 2nd round matches start on Wednesday as well.

Deboogle!.
02-06-2005, 06:09 AM
who knows... i'm sure it comes down to money in some way. You'd think the players would look at the schedule and see that their second round opponent gets a full 2 days off while they get non and they'd say to someone "ummm this isn't fair"... But they don't, or if they do it doesn't work. Andy's first round match in Memphis is Wed. night, too.

Leena
02-06-2005, 04:04 PM
They could make even more money though...

For example: Andy's 1st round on Monday night, 2nd round of Wednesday night.
Andre's 1st round on Tuesday, 2nd on Thursday.

It would be better than having Janny boy.

Deboogle!.
02-06-2005, 04:15 PM
yeah I agree. :shrug: I dunno...

Golfnduck
02-06-2005, 05:52 PM
That's questionable scheduling, to say the least.

I think it's quite a disadvantage having your 1st round match on Wednesday night... that's 5 matches in 4 1/2 days, en route to the title. I know I feel like crap when I play 3 competitive matches in 3 days... and pros must not like it either.

I can't see why these indoor tournaments don't try to fit in all 1st round matches by early Wednesday... then, have 2nd round matches start on Wednesday as well.
That's what I was thinking too. It doesn't make sense to bunch all of the matches together. I don't think Andy's matches were this bunched together last year.

Tytta!.
02-06-2005, 05:57 PM
I think he played on Wednesday night last year as well, but I'm not 100% sure

Deboogle!.
02-06-2005, 06:09 PM
yes, Renata he did :)

Leena
02-06-2005, 06:11 PM
A further testament to Andy's superior fitness.

Deboogle!.
02-06-2005, 06:12 PM
He's won tournaments playing 5 matches in 5 days a few times, I think. Many of these small US Tourneys start him on Wednesday.

Leena
02-06-2005, 06:13 PM
Andy should be given 1st round bye's because he's so great.

Deboogle!.
02-06-2005, 06:14 PM
:spit: :haha:

You're lucky, I almost had hot coffee in my mouth when I read that.

Tytta!.
02-06-2005, 06:17 PM
Well... He's a top tennis player so he's supposed to be ready for whatever schedule the tournament's got :)

Deboogle!.
02-07-2005, 12:48 AM
so Andy plays Paul Goldstein. Andy's 2-0, once in challengers in 2001 and once in Houston on clay in 2003.

Tytta!.
02-07-2005, 12:57 AM
Well if Andy was capable of beating him in a challenger... :lol:

Leena
02-07-2005, 02:15 AM
I didn't know Goldstein still played.

Paul's got no serve... so this should be wham bam thank you ma'am, 6-2 6-2, thanks bye.

Deboogle!.
02-07-2005, 02:20 AM
this should be wham bam thank you ma'am, 6-2 6-2, thanks bye.

That means it'll be 7-6(6) 7-5 or something equally as annoying :lol:

PinkFeatherBoa
02-07-2005, 02:33 AM
I've not heard anything on Goldstein in ages. I shouldn't think Andy should have any problems with him though. Finish him off nice and quick and conserve some energy Andy!

Jennay
02-07-2005, 02:52 AM
:haha:

Deboogle!.
02-07-2005, 02:53 AM
aw Niti, just ask Amanda, she's got lots of them I think!

And that's so cute that that was your first thought! :)

PinkFeatherBoa
02-07-2005, 02:59 AM
Today, I woke up and my first thought was, "I'm glad Andy Roddick is on this planet." Weird and random.

:sad: I want to conform and get a True Love Knows No Gender avatar.

:lol: Sweet, my first thought in the morning is usually something like "I'm hungry, must go eat" :o Its my last thought at night as well, though I swear I'm not obssessed. :angel:

Deboogle!.
02-07-2005, 03:04 AM
:lol: My first thought is usually "shit, why am I incapable of sleeping til my alarm goes off!" :sad:

Deboogle!.
02-07-2005, 03:08 AM
And Deb, in hindsight, I don't think it's so bad to have a shirtless Carlos Moya staring at me from next to my posts. :lol:

:spit: Yes, I can think of about 2478759809804927392 worse things in life ;)

Deboogle!.
02-07-2005, 03:17 AM
Andy's hair has grown back a lot.... it looks good now. It's just right :)

Golfnduck
02-07-2005, 03:45 AM
I like his hair right now too. Not too long (ex. USO 2004) or buzzed. A happy medium :yeah:

smucav
02-07-2005, 03:45 AM
That's what I was thinking too. It doesn't make sense to bunch all of the matches together. I don't think Andy's matches were this bunched together last year.

5 days in a row (indoors) with this kind of field isn't a big deal unless a player's fitness is questionable. In all of the 64-draw AMS events, finalists must play 6 matches in 7 days (either Monday or Tuesday off) against much higher quality opponents (unless one draws a wild card in the first round, all opponents are top 50 players; even the qualifiers are usually top 75.) That's why Agassi among others have said that it's much harder to win an AMS event than a GS since in a GS, even though it's best of five, one plays 7 matches in 14 days & doesn't face quality opponents until at least the 3rd round. (Unless dealing with the rain delays wear you down.)

Last year in Toronto everyone had to play two matches in one day (outdoors) because a whole day was washed out and no one had a problem with fitness.

Tytta!.
02-07-2005, 12:25 PM
For Roddick, the future is now

By Darren Sabedra

KNIGHT RIDDER

When Andy Roddick won the U.S. Open in 2003, it seemed like the start of something big. Then 21, Roddick ended that year No. 1 in the world ranking, becoming the youngest American to achieve such a feat.

That, coupled with the Grand Slam breakthrough, made his decision six months earlier to hire Brad Gilbert as coach look brilliant.

But a lot has changed since Roddick, long touted as the future of American men's tennis, exclaimed: "I can't believe I just won the U.S. Open."

When he begins defense of his SAP Open title Wednesday night at HP Pavilion in San Jose, he will do so with a new coach and on the heels of another disappointment at a major, this one so discouraging that he was roundly criticized for not trusting his game at crunch time.

Roddick, 22, has thought long and hard about that four-set loss to Lleyton Hewitt in an Australian Open semifinal two weeks ago, a match the power-serving Roddick could have won in straight sets. He concludes there is another way of looking at it.

"It's a good thing that I've come to a point in my career where I can make the last four of one of the biggest four tennis events in the world and have people grill me and have it be a disappointment," Roddick said.

The Australian Open represented a new start for Roddick, who finished 2004 ranked behind only Roger Federer. In December, he dismissed Gilbert, a former pro from the Bay Area who helped resurrect Andre Agassi's career in the 1990s, saying the relationship had run its course.

Roddick then hired Dean Goldfine, a former U.S. Tennis Association coach who worked several years with onetime U.S. Open finalist Todd Martin.

The change shocked just about everyone, including Agassi.

"We saw him go from maybe seven or 10 in the world to No. 1," Agassi said. "We saw him win tournament after tournament, win the U.S. Open. If it wasn't for Roger having the incredible year, we would have seen him have the same sort of year again. Seemed to me like a lot of good decisions were going on there."

Asked about Gilbert again last week, Roddick maintained his company line, noting that their results had hit a plateau.

"It was just time to move on," Roddick said.

Gilbert has kept mostly silent about the breakup, except for a statement on his Web site, bradgilberttennis.com.

"I have enjoyed all of my time with Andy," Gilbert wrote. "He has been a great student of the game during the time that we worked together, and I am very proud of the results that were achieved. ... I wish Andy all of the best and will be rooting for him."

Gilbert watched Roddick's Australian Open demise from an ESPN analyst chair. Later, he wrote on his Web site: "I was disappointed for Andy. He didn't play anywhere near his best tennis."

He would get no argument from Roddick, who lost tiebreakers, normally his strength, in the second and third sets before getting crushed in the fourth.

"Lleyton's going to make you step up and beat him," Roddick said. "Bottom line is I didn't step up in those tiebreakers. I beat myself."

A day before that match, the heavily favored Federer, who beat Roddick in the Wimbledon final last year, lost to Marat Safin in a semifinal, appearing to clear the way for Roddick to win his second Grand Slam.

Instead, the top-ranked American returned home to Austin, Texas, without a major trophy for the fifth time since he won the U.S. Open and 16th time in 17 Grand Slam appearances.

"He needs to come through now," said Barry MacKay, SAP Open tournament consultant and a former player. "Obviously, the next major is the French. But he needs to win it. He's got only that one U.S. Open and memories are short out there.

"For him to win at our event, and win two in a row, there's not too many people who have done that here. Even if it's not a Grand Slam, he needs to come through."

• WHERE: HP Pavilion, San Jose

• FIRST ROUND: Today and Tuesday, 9:30 a.m. and 7 p.m.

• SECOND ROUND: Wednesday and Thursday, 9:30 a.m. and 7 p.m.

• QUARTERFINALS: Friday, 11 a.m. and 7 p.m.

• SEMIFINALS: Saturday, 1 p.m. and 7 p.m.

• FINAL: Sunday, 3 p.m.

• TV: Semifinals and final: FSNBA

Deboogle!.
02-07-2005, 03:45 PM
Yea, it really is... I mean he makes some decent points but he makes it sound like Andy will be completely forgotten if he doesn't win RG (and well he's not gonna do that lmfao).

Tytta!.
02-07-2005, 03:53 PM
So you're just remembered if you win RG? That's pathetic! Pete never won RG and is still remembered AND missed :lol:
I know the point is Andy, not any other player but I still find it ridiculous...

Golfnduck
02-07-2005, 03:55 PM
If Andy won RG, I think I would have a coronary. But I would be happy.

Deboogle!.
02-07-2005, 04:00 PM
So you're just remembered if you win RG? That's pathetic! Pete never won RG and is still remembered AND missed :lol:
I know the point is Andy, not any other player but I still find it ridiculous...

No no, his point is that Andy needs to win another slam. the guy said basically "well even though the next slam is the french open, he needs to win it" - if the next slam were Wimby or something he'd say that too. Yea, he's just saying Andy needs to win another slam NOW.

Tytta!.
02-07-2005, 04:08 PM
He really really REALLY does need to win one :(

blosson
02-07-2005, 06:42 PM
He has a great chance of winning Wimbledon. The surface is perfect for him. He just need to work harder on the volleying thing and stop pannicking when playing top ranked players and remind himself that he is a top ranking player too.

In the new RBK ad Tangy posted in another thread, it shows the old 2003 throphy which is getting a bit passe, 2003 was 2 years ago... it's time for a new one, hopefully it will be this year!

tangerine_dream
02-07-2005, 07:34 PM
Pete Sampras never won RG and I doubt he'll be forgotten. :)

RG isn't as prestigious a slam as the others. If Andy never wins it, he's in good company and he'll still be a great player.

Not everybody can be as great as Andre, you know. ;)

smucav
02-07-2005, 08:27 PM
Yea, it really is... I mean he makes some decent points but he makes it sound like Andy will be completely forgotten if he doesn't win RG (and well he's not gonna do that lmfao).Andy has had to deal with unrealistic expectations being placed on him his whole career. For the casual fans/writers, the GSs are the only events that matter, it's like the rest of the year doesn't exist. If you're not in the Sunday final on NBC/CBS, you're a loser. Andy has had to deal with this his whole career: After his breakout season in 2001 (reaching USO QF & finishing in top 20 right out of the juniors), his 2002 season was considered a disappointment because people [unrealistically] thought he should be winning GSs. After his standout season in 2003 (winning USO & finishing #1 at an earlier age than any other American), his 2004 season was considered a disappointment because people (again unrealistically) expected him to win every GS. Now only a month into 2005, people are already writing him off for good if he doesn't win RG? Ridiculous! Sure he's had some disappointing losses, but it's not like he's losing first round or falling to #141 in the world.

Most of these unrealistic expectations arise from being American, particularly now that Agassi isn't a serious threat to win GSs. That's one of the reasons everyone is jumping on the Donald Young bandwagon now.

I posted two articles about Young (& Andy) in Andy's Articles. This quote sums up the source for the increasing amount of negativity being directed toward Andy: he's the only contender and the future of the sport in the U.S. is tied to his successes whether he wants the responsibility or not (& I think he does).

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=1185177&postcount=233
With Roddick, now 22, being the only elite American male outside of 34-year-old Andre Agassi, fans are looking for another kid to bring back the glory years of U.S. tennis when Agassi, Pete Sampras, Jim Courier and Michael Chang dominated the tour.

J. Corwin
02-07-2005, 08:39 PM
Andy's not taking too long to win his 2nd one, although of course we hope he wins one asap! lol. I mean look at Marat, how long did it take him to win his 2nd one? ;) But that's too long of course. :p

But seriously, look at Andre. He won his first slam (Wimby 1992) at a later age than when Andy won his first (Andre was 22). And then it took Andre 9 slams later to win his 2nd one (USO 1994)! ;) And now look how great Andre's career has been! :cool::banana: And hell, Andre's also won 5 slams post-29 years of age. ;)

Andre's the inspiration for everything. ;) :lol:

Deboogle!.
02-07-2005, 08:45 PM
yep, smucav, that pretty much sums it up. There's nothing Andy can do but just work as hard as he can, try to keep improving, work through the mental problems he's had lately in real big matches, and try to break through and win some more slams. But he should do it for himself, not for these jerk journalists who need someone to rag on.

I agree with Andy that what they're doing to Young already is dangerous. But, by turning pro, he's setting himself up for it I suppose. These guys need *something* to write about after all :lol:

Jace, I think the problem is that he has come really close and maybe should've won one or two more - and he had a few REALLY BAD losses, like really bad.. I think that seems to be more part of the problem than just the mere fact that he hasn't one another, if that makes sense...

J. Corwin
02-07-2005, 08:55 PM
Yea but Andre had some bad losses in FO finals before he even won his first slam! ;)

Ok ok I'll stop with all these Andre references now. I get what you mean. But he has to put himself in the position to win the slams first (ie get to the finals). And to me the most disappointing losses have been the ones where he gave up leads, like this past AO semi. He got thorougly outplayed in the USO QF last year, IMO, and wasn't able to make that much ground up (2 set deficit). But his losses at the FO last year, and the AO this year, have been more mental and he had leads (he also gave up a lead at the Wimby final but he was later outplayed and he was fighting through that entire match so that doesn't count lol). Actually come to think of it, this AO semi loss is eerily reminiscent to the FO 2nd round loss last year. The last sets were Andy tank jobs....very very similar. :scared:

Deboogle!.
02-07-2005, 08:57 PM
Actually come to think of it, this AO semi loss is eerily reminiscent to the FO 2nd round loss last year. The last sets were Andy tank jobs....very very similar. :scared:
Yes :sad: And he was only outplayed in the USO QF when he came out really flat. Remember the 3rd and 4th sets? He played incredibly well. Had he come out that on top of his game, he would've been out in 3 or 4 sets with a pretty comfortable win there. It's definitely all in his head right now :(

I think the difference with Andre is that everyone knows he's more naturally talented. Andy on the other hand really needs to take advantage of the chances he gets.

smucav
02-07-2005, 10:44 PM
Using this formula, Andy ranks well above his peers (yeah consistency!):
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/jon_wertheim/02/07/mailbag/index.htmlFinally, we thought this was interesting:

James Stamey of Nacogdoches, Texas, writes: "How about using the following criteria for getting into the Hall of Fame? Take the ratio of the number of Grand Slams the player gets to at least the semifinal and divide by the number of Grand Slams in which the player gets to the third round or worse. I call it the Stamey Ratio (SR). It may be a little arbitrary, but it rewards all-court players who do reasonably well all year long. Here is the SR for some interesting players.

Jimmy Connors = 2.07
John McEnroe = 1.5
Ivan Lendl = 1.87
Pete Sampras = 1.38
Andre Agassi = 1.56

New players are punished for being early in their careers:

Roger Federer = .5
Marat Safin = .5
Andy Roddick = .625
Lleyton Hewitt = .42

Recent Hall of Fame inductees:

Boris Becker = 1.2
Stefan Edberg = .95
Jim Courier =.55
Yannick Noah = .11

I would suggest that unless special circumstances exist, an SR of at least a .5 would be needed to get in, so Noah gets in on "intangibles." By the way, the greatest player of all time by my criteria is Bjorn Borg with a ridiculous SR of 5.67.

blosson
02-07-2005, 11:06 PM
Thanks smucav. Interesting calculation.
Andy might be a way above on SR if compared to Roger, Safin and Hewitt but these last 3 guys have got more Grand Slam throphies than Andy.

Is nice to be a bridesmaide in many weddings but even better to be the bride [an ode to tytta] :)

Havok
02-08-2005, 01:29 AM
Roger, Hewitt and Federer have all played more slams than Andy though so they have more chances of bombing out earlier or not reaching the semis at least. You have Safin who tanks early, Hewitt who sucks at the AO and has surprising early losses everywhere else and Federer who before winning Wimbledon almost ALWAYS lost before the quarters. Before he won his first slam, he only reached the quarters twice at slams.:o

Leena
02-08-2005, 01:30 AM
Andy = Winning San Jose.

Other guys = Not.

Tytta!.
02-08-2005, 01:33 AM
Andy = Winning San Jose.

Other guys = Not.

Renata = :yeah:

Golfnduck
02-08-2005, 01:42 AM
Renata= :hearts:

Tytta!.
02-08-2005, 01:48 AM
LOL!!!!!!

J. Corwin
02-08-2005, 01:50 AM
Renata= :hearts:

Wait, you marrying Renata too? :haha:

So how many grooms (and brides ;)) is she up to now? :angel:

Tytta!.
02-08-2005, 01:52 AM
Holy crap :haha:

snaillyyy
02-08-2005, 01:52 AM
:lol: :lol: we are going to have to keep a tally, or we will lose track of them all ;)

Deboogle!.
02-08-2005, 02:06 AM
Ok What's wrong with this poll???? :retard: ;)

http://sapopentennis.com/poll/index.asp

Tytta!.
02-08-2005, 02:14 AM
:retard:

aceit
02-08-2005, 02:17 AM
I'm voting for Mardy. :lol:

Tytta!.
02-08-2005, 02:19 AM
Oh, no, not Mardy! :retard: :lol:

aceit
02-08-2005, 02:22 AM
No, I realize that. ;) But I said I'm voting for Mardy. :ras:

Deboogle!.
02-08-2005, 02:22 AM
It's only more than a little odd that as many people think Yen-Hsun Lu will win as think Mardy (defending finalist!) and Haas (fmr. world #2!) COMBINED!!!!!!!!!!

that's just.... :retard:

aceit
02-08-2005, 02:23 AM
I saw that and had to look it over again because maybe I was seeing things.

aceit
02-08-2005, 02:25 AM
Yen-Hsun Lu (TPE)
Career High INDESIT ATP Entry Ranking - Singles: 82 (11/15/2004)
Singles Record: 11 - 14

He could beat Roddick blind folded.

Deboogle!.
02-08-2005, 02:29 AM
He could beat Roddick blind folded.

:haha: :haha:

J. Corwin
02-08-2005, 02:39 AM
Never even heard of the guy! At first I thought they messed up on Hyung-Taik Lee's name. ;)

I think it's pretty funny the tournament organizers even put him on the poll to begin with too. :p

aceit
02-08-2005, 02:42 AM
At first I thought they messed up on Hyung-Taik Lee's name. ;)
:lol: I don't know much about either but that's real funny. ;)

smucav
02-08-2005, 03:18 AM
Never even heard of the guy! At first I thought they messed up on Hyung-Taik Lee's name. ;)

I think it's pretty funny the tournament organizers even put him on the poll to begin with too. :pLast fall, Lu was leading everyone in the poll with 40%.

I think they put Lu up there because there are a lot of Chinese-Americans in the San Jose area that they're trying to market the tournament (& tennis in general) to. The USTA is really reaching out to the Asian-American communities in the tournament cities to build up the fan base for tennis in the U.S. Many of the U.S. juniors & young pros are Asian-American & there are a lot of up and coming players from China, Japan, India, etc. so it's been fairly successful thus far. (The USTA consulted the Asian-American student group at a top 5 business school in the NE about this expansion recently.)

Michael Chang had a core group of Chinese-American fans who always attended his matches (even when he was fading fast). Pdorn has a group of at least 100 Thai-American fans who attend every single tournament on the East coast (they travel together by van) and pick up more in the tournament cities. They all wear red and create quite a bit of noise.

Deboogle!.
02-08-2005, 03:21 AM
there are a lot of Chinese-Americans in the San Jose area

EFFING DEATH. Sorry, the fact that this was posted in reply to Jace is like seriously the funniest thing EVER (Jace is Chinese-American and lives in the Bay area ;)).

Sorry smucav, I'm laughing at your expense. No offense intended lol. I'm sure you're right about the reasoning behind him being on the poll :)

heya
02-08-2005, 03:22 AM
"It's a good thing that I've come to a point in my career where I can make the last four of one of the biggest four tennis events in the world and have people grill me and have it be a disappointment," Roddick said.
:scared:
Andy's insulting Andy fans' intelligence. Who's he fooling?
The Brainless One can't show "natural talent" when he can't move his stiff, overweight body around the court.
Can he stop treating a serious match like it's not an exhibition?
I'm sure he's going to cry a river for Donald Young when Donald beats him soon.

Andy's 22 and he's still clueless about being out-of-control.
Donald's 15, and I don't think he'll be satisfied with choking in the semis of a slam like Andy does.
You are wasting time worrying abut Donald, Andy.... :rolleyes:

I just saw Luke Jensen on the news.
It must be painful for Andy to hear that Luke joined the Pmc/Brad Trash Mouth bandwagon.

Just in case a Roddick hater accuses me of hating Roddick:
If I didn't like Andy, his mistakes would never bother me.

Deboogle!.
02-08-2005, 03:25 AM
Just in case a Roddick hater accuses me of hating Roddick:
If I didn't like Andy, his mistakes would never bother me.

Aw :hug: we know that, heya.

You hadn't been around for a while, we missed you!

J. Corwin
02-08-2005, 03:36 AM
Last fall, Lu was leading everyone in the poll with 40%.

I think they put Lu up there because there are a lot of Chinese-Americans in the San Jose area that they're trying to market the tournament (& tennis in general) to. The USTA is really reaching out to the Asian-American communities in the tournament cities to build up the fan base for tennis in the U.S. Many of the U.S. juniors & young pros are Asian-American & there are a lot of up and coming players from China, Japan, India, etc. so it's been fairly successful thus far. (The USTA consulted the Asian-American student group at a top 5 business school in the NE about this expansion recently.)

Michael Chang had a core group of Chinese-American fans who always attended his matches (even when he was fading fast). Pdorn has a group of at least 100 Thai-American fans who attend every single tournament on the East coast (they travel together by van) and pick up more in the tournament cities. They all wear red and create quite a bit of noise.

Good point, I didn't think about that. :) And yea Deb has mentioned my nationality (;)), but headlining Lu doesn't attract me anymore to the tournament ;)..but I see your point lol. Like my mom, she's almost exclusively into Chinese athletes. :p When she sees figure skating on, she'll tell me to watch and alert her when Michelle Kwan gets on the ice. :lol:

Golfnduck
02-08-2005, 03:57 AM
Aw :hug: we know that, heya.

You hadn't been around for a while, we missed you!
I know, it was weird not having you around.

Deboogle!.
02-08-2005, 04:00 AM
Good point, I didn't think about that. :) And yea Deb has mentioned my nationality (;)), but headlining Lu doesn't attract me anymore to the tournament ;)..but I see your point lol. Like my mom, she's almost exclusively into Chinese athletes. :p When she sees figure skating on, she'll tell me to watch and alert her when Michelle Kwan gets on the ice. :lol:

Sorry Jace it just made me laugh SO HARD. I know it was all unintentional but it just killed me.

that's so cute about your mom... I can totally picture you suffering through ice skating just to tell your mom when Michelle comes on LOL!

smucav
02-08-2005, 04:11 AM

If it brings more people to tennis, I'm all for it. A few years ago at the Legg Mason, over half the stands cleared out after Andy's match (the third match of the 4:00 session). But then a large group of people (entirely African-American) came in and sat down right behind my friends and I. One woman struck up a conversation with us and we found out that they had never been to a tennis tournament, had never watched tennis, and knew nothing about the rules of the game. Why were they there? Someone in their church told them about "this guy named James Blake, he's really good, you should check him out." That was all it took to get them there. They kept asking us a lot of questions during the match and when it was over they said they really enjoyed the whole thing and they were going to buy tickets for the rest of the week (to watch all the matches, not just Blake). The sport of tennis made 20 new fans that night. If Lu can bring 20 more people to love tennis, then I'm all for it.

Deboogle!.
02-08-2005, 04:14 AM
If it brings more people to tennis, I'm all for it. A few years ago at the Legg Mason, over half the stands cleared out after Andy's match (the third match of the 4:00 session). But then a large group of people (entirely African-American) came in and sat down right behind my friends and I. One woman struck up a conversation with us and we found out that they had never been to a tennis tournament, had never watched tennis, and knew nothing about the rules of the game. Why were they there? Someone in their church told them about "this guy named James Blake, he's really good, you should check him out." That was all it took to get them there. They kept asking us a lot of questions during the match and when it was over they said they really enjoyed the whole thing and they were going to buy tickets for the rest of the week (to watch all the matches, not just Blake). The sport of tennis made 20 new fans that night. If Lu can bring 20 more people to love tennis, then I'm all for it.

:cool: :yeah: :D :bigclap:

liptea
02-08-2005, 04:42 AM
:sad: I did kinda bad on a test today and I feel yucky. I don't even feel like checking up on San Jose. I don't even feel like checking up on CARLOS. :eek: How horrifying is this?

J. Corwin
02-08-2005, 04:46 AM
:sad: I did kinda bad on a test today and I feel yucky. I don't even feel like checking up on San Jose. I don't even feel like checking up on CARLOS. :eek: How horrifying is this?

:hug: We all have bad tests every now and then. You'll do great on your next one!

Give Carlos a chance! ;)

liptea
02-08-2005, 04:50 AM
ni:hug: We all have bad tests every now and then. You'll do great on your next one!

Give Carlos a chance! ;)

It bothers me that I actually knew the material. I just completely panicked and by the time I got my brain in order, time was almost up and I had to rush.:mad:

Leena
02-08-2005, 05:05 AM
You're only like 4 inches tall.

J. Corwin
02-08-2005, 05:28 AM
4 inches is about voodoo doll size ;)

Deboogle!.
02-08-2005, 05:29 AM
So Andy will play Lee next. Andy is 6-1 against him but their last matches have been pretty tough.

J. Corwin
02-08-2005, 05:31 AM
He can take him on! I have all $25 of my vCash on him! ;):banana:

Leena
02-08-2005, 05:32 AM
So Andy will play Lee next. Andy is 6-1 against him but their last matches have been pretty tough.
Andy plays Goldstein next. He plays tennis.

liptea
02-08-2005, 05:33 AM
*gasp!*

the large gap is where i fainted.

OK, so I was exaggerating. I looked at some Carlos pics and I'm going to shower and go straight to bed, and I'll feel better in the morning.

You know, once there was this episode of Scooby-Doo that had voodoo dolls, and I've been scared of them since. That show was really scary.

Deboogle!.
02-08-2005, 05:41 AM
Andy plays Goldstein next. He plays tennis.

I'm just assuming Andy will beat Goldstein;)

Leena
02-08-2005, 05:45 AM
Yay. Positive.

I think Andy's odds of beating Lee could be around .10. That's big money.

heya
02-08-2005, 05:58 AM
Tennis and Andy? I thought Andy was doing the reality show Bi-Bachelor.
So many pimps, but so little time for fun. :tears:

Deboogle!.
02-08-2005, 06:06 AM
Tennis and Andy? I thought Andy was doing the reality show Bi-Bachelor.
So many pimps, but so little time for fun. :tears:

OH MY GOD DEATH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :haha: :haha: :haha: :worship: :worship: :worship:

heya
02-08-2005, 06:26 AM
Andy's recruiting baby Ducks for Pimp McEnroe.
Donald Young Duck, Dyno-Duck Scoville ...who else? :lick: :aplot:

"I was fortunate because I was ready to play pro ball right away after I won U.S. Open [juniors]," Roddick said. "We have to realize how young Donald is and how much he has left to learn from Pimp Patrick. I think his potential is unbelievable. The way he already constructs points, he's just one of those guys who has a natural feel for the game.

"My biggest concern is letting him grow and people knowing that this is a process. If he does come in and start winning some, then it should be looked upon as a bonus. It shouldn't be expected right away."

Roddick knows what it's like to hold the hopes of a nation. After winning his first major title as a pro at the '03 U.S. Open, Roddick's first words to the media were "No more, 'What's it feel like to be the future of American Duck tennis?'"

"Hopefully, Donald is not going to fly full-time right away," Roddick said. "But at the same time, you have to kick Anti-Duck butt when it's there to be kicked. He's obviously not a normal 15-year-old with the ability that he has. I hope they still let him do some normal stuff. I don't want (Duck Walking) to start feeling like a job to him this early.

"It's a very sensitive situation because you have someone who is so talented and who wants to play the game, so you have to let him do his own thing, but at the same time, I think the sense of normalcy has to remain, as well."

Deboogle!.
02-08-2005, 06:34 AM
:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :worship:

Becarina
02-08-2005, 06:38 AM
ok, this may be dumb, but I have to ask....

why do you call him the duck?

J. Corwin
02-08-2005, 07:02 AM
It's a long story. ;) Some thought he resembled a duck in some pics, and there was a thread showing proof. :p And it caught on... :silly:

Becarina
02-08-2005, 07:03 AM
hmm I see...thanks :)

heya
02-08-2005, 07:23 AM
I don't see a resemblance, but I have to laugh whenever I hear Rodduck and see
duck pix. Ducks're midgets with blank faces. They don't have a bunny nose, a sheepish grin, deer eyes, buff arms and legs.

3 years ago, a bored attention-seeker named Jon insisted that Andy was identical to Donald Duck. I can name a lot of bird-like players, but the list will shatter
this forum. *Ostrich Federer *Rooster Dahveeed *Crow Hewwittt *Chick Mardy Fish

Tytta!.
02-08-2005, 01:30 PM
Heyaaaaa!!!! :haha:

We missed youuu!!!! :banana: :kiss: :)

MissFairy
02-08-2005, 01:49 PM
ooohh heya you did it again :worship:

duckys cute, i gues Jon didnt see that one coming? yea andyll quack him up :p

Leena
02-08-2005, 02:11 PM
Andy plays tonight.

Let's dominate.

Tytta!.
02-08-2005, 02:25 PM
Not tonight... Isn't it tomorrow? :confused:

MissFairy
02-08-2005, 02:26 PM
yea thats what i thought, wednesday night?
ummm do we know who the quallie is now, coz im a bit behind :o

Tytta!.
02-08-2005, 02:33 PM
Paul Goldnstein :)

MissFairy
02-08-2005, 02:37 PM
thanks renata :hug:

theyve played before...

Houston, Clay, R16
TX, U.S.A.

Clay

R16

Roddick

7 5 6 4

Waikoloa, CH, Hard, S
Hawaii, USA

Hard

S

Roddick

7 5 3 6 6 1

gosh i hope this is the right information :)

Tytta!.
02-08-2005, 02:46 PM
Yeah that's right... The first one was in a challenger so he better kick his ass pretty easily and fast :)

Golfnduck
02-08-2005, 04:15 PM
I put all my vcash, $340 on Andy to win. Hopefully he blows Goldstein out of the water.

Tytta!.
02-08-2005, 04:25 PM
I put $30 on him :rolleyes:

MissFairy
02-08-2005, 04:32 PM
:lol: renata, that shows true faith, atta girl!

Tytta!.
02-08-2005, 04:45 PM
Yes :lol:

But no way I'm not betting more than 30 :haha:

MissFairy
02-08-2005, 04:50 PM
:rolls: i wonder how faithful you were when he was playing a bigger gun, say...kohlshrieber? :p
hmm but saying that, ive presently bet a princely sum of ZERO...yeah i believe in andy i rele do
at least hes no robby, he actually wins these one :eek: :)

Tytta!.
02-08-2005, 04:55 PM
The point here isn't how faithful I am... The thing is I will never bet more than $30 :lol:

MissFairy
02-08-2005, 04:59 PM
:rolls: well i guess, renata you'll never be one of those people with zero VCash eh?
then you could always lend me some ;)
im more of an outrageous better, thats why i lost so much :fiery:
damn andy, why doesnt he win the matches i think he will, tut tut tut

Becarina
02-08-2005, 05:00 PM
Paul Goldnstein :)

anyone know if this will be on TV?

Tytta!.
02-08-2005, 05:02 PM
Ask the americans :lol: They might know much more than I do :lol:

Deboogle!.
02-08-2005, 05:26 PM
Nope Becky, it won't be :(

Andy will kick Goldstein's ass. I'm sure of it.

MissFairy
02-08-2005, 05:27 PM
woohoo, renata dya hear that? your pockets will be heavy once more! :woohoo: :lol:

Becarina
02-08-2005, 05:27 PM
Well that blows!! :(

Thanks Deb... :)

Tytta!.
02-08-2005, 05:30 PM

tangerine_dream
02-08-2005, 06:05 PM
I put all my money on Andy, Andre, Mardy, Tommy H., and Beastie. :)

With their odds, I should make an extra two bucks. :banana:

smucav
02-08-2005, 07:14 PM
My friend went on a blind date with Goldstein once. He's very short.

Andy is currently leading the poll on the San Jose site. Lu still hanging tough with 10%.

Who will win the 2005 SAP Open?
Andre Agassi 37%
Andy Roddick 42%
Mardy Fish 3%
Tommy Haas 8%
Yen-Hsun Lu 10%

lizzieh
02-08-2005, 07:21 PM
My friend went on a blind date with Goldstein once.

Cool. :)

smucav
02-08-2005, 07:56 PM
Cool. :)
Actually it wasn't. His parents arranged it. She was dating someone else so it was a waste of time for both of them. He was nice (& short), but no chemistry.

lizzieh
02-08-2005, 08:38 PM
Bummer!!! :(

djb272727
02-08-2005, 08:40 PM
Andy will definately beat Goldstein! GO ANDY!

lizzieh
02-08-2005, 08:49 PM
Andy will definately beat Goldstein! GO ANDY!

I always try and exercise cautious optimism when it comes to first round matches, especially those that are meant to be easy!!

but I agree, GO ANDY!

tangerine_dream
02-08-2005, 09:08 PM
Random trivia question for you all:

Without looking it up, name the last tournament Andy played where he crashed out in the first round?

:)