Safin and Lundgren [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Safin and Lundgren

khyber
01-30-2005, 08:04 PM
So I'm curious, how significant an effect on Safin's competitive play do you all think Lundgren has been? Has Peter made the difference?

Eclectic Goddess
01-30-2005, 08:09 PM
I think he has. Marat still has his little tantrums, but he's much better at getting his head back on straight after. Also, having seen Marat practice with different coaches over the years, I can tell you that Lundgren is the first coach I've ever seen him actually LISTEN to.

MariaV
01-30-2005, 08:18 PM
Lundgren's had an enourmous impact on Marat! :)

Dirk
01-30-2005, 08:23 PM
Peter is a great coach and is showing everyone how underrated he is.

jmp
01-30-2005, 08:25 PM
Peter has been a big positive. When Marat's results dropped after his AO coming out party there were discussions about getting rid of Peter on MTF. I felt strongly that Peter should stay on the team. I think that once Marat made up his mind that he wanted to put in the work, Peter was just the man to help him succeed. I get the impression that Peter really cares about Marat, too. I think they are a winning combo. Peter was the right man at the right time in Marat's life. I'm so happy they jumped this hurdle together.

tangerine_dream
01-30-2005, 08:36 PM
So is Lundgren the new superstar tennis coach a la Gilbert?

Hope he writes a book. http://www.terranuts.com/forums/images/smilies/biggrin3.gif

aceit
01-30-2005, 08:37 PM
Hope he writes a book. http://www.terranuts.com/forums/images/smilies/biggrin3.gif
Coaching a Man Who Dosen't Like To Listen - by Peter Lundgren

I really like him. He seems to understand Safin and know the right time to say things and when not to.

Shadow
01-30-2005, 08:38 PM
Well Peter has definetly a big effect on Marat. Those 2 work together really well and Peter has helped Marat a lot. Marat has said this also, after his victory today, that Peter has a lot to do with it and he hopes they can continue for a long time.

*Ljubica*
01-30-2005, 08:40 PM
I think he has. Marat still has his little tantrums, but he's much better at getting his head back on straight after. Also, having seen Marat practice with different coaches over the years, I can tell you that Lundgren is the first coach I've ever seen him actually LISTEN to.

Definately - I agree. Most important thing is that Marat respects Peter - the other coaches he had were just friends like Denis or very temporary measures. Peter is a calm, steady, gentle sort of person - quiet but very strong too - I think he has been pivotal to Marat's success this past few months.

the cat
01-30-2005, 08:58 PM
Peter Lundgren has made a big difference in Marat's game and attitutide. :) Lundgren was a good ATP Tour player but he has really made his mark as a fine tennis coach. Congrats Marat safin on winning the 2005 Australian Open! :D And congrats to Peter on coaching Safin to the 2005 Australian Open title. :bigclap: I'm sure after being fired by Roger Federer in late 2003 coaching Safin to the Australian Open title including the thrilling 5 set win over Federer his former pupil is the greatest moment of his tennis career as a player and coach! :D

Ginger
01-30-2005, 09:09 PM
and he hopes they can continue for a long time.
Me too! When Peter was working with Roger, he won 1 slam and reached #2. When Roger dumped Peter, he won 3 more slams and reached #1. So Marat, stay with Peter as long as possible please and don't fire him! ;) #1 is for Roger! Seriously, good to see the combo Marat/Peter working that well and I wish them a lot of success!

Shadow
01-30-2005, 09:19 PM
a bit from Marat
Safin paid special tribute to Lundgren, who began coaching the Russian in May of last year.

``I never believed in myself until I started working with him,'' said Safin.

``We worked really hard. We communicate really well. He understood who I am and I understood what he wants from me.''

Safin said it took four or five months for the work to show in tournaments.

``They are continuing to come,'' Safin said. ``He makes me believe that I can be a good player, and I don't have so much doubt about myself, about my tennis. He's a great person and a great coach.''

Ginger
01-30-2005, 09:26 PM
a bit from Marat
I can be a good player, and I don't have so much doubt about myself
Safin is becoming arrogant... ;) ;)

tangerine_dream
01-30-2005, 09:30 PM
Coaching a Man Who Dosen't Like To Listen - by Peter Lundgren

LOL. This isn't the Tennis Books thread. :p

aceit
01-30-2005, 09:34 PM
I'm just building off your idea in here! :p

tangerine_dream
01-30-2005, 09:44 PM
Well you actually fooled me for a second, I thought it was a real book! :haha:

Nice article from the bbc....

Making Marat believe
By Nick Crowther

At 4-1 down in the third set of the Australia Open final, having been warned for smashing a racquet, Marat Safin was nearly in danger of missing out again.

The Russian, who has built a reputation for being at the mercy of a volatile temperament, had twice been runner-up in Melbourne.

But this year, rather than lose his head, he beat Lleyton Hewitt on his own territory, having overcome Andre Agassi and ended the 26-match winning run of Roger Federer on his way to the final.

So what made the difference?

One major factor was his decision in April 2004 to link up with Federer's former coach Peter Lundgren.

The Swede had helped the Swiss world number one to his first Grand Slam title at Wimbledon in 2003 but they parted company just weeks after Federer had won the season-ending Masters Cup.

Safin decided to try working with Lundgren, initially for the clay-court and grass seasons, and by September had ended a 22-month title drought with victory in the China Open.

He went on to win the Master Series events in Madrid and Paris and, having slipped to 77th 12 months earlier after an injury-blighted year, ended 2004 ranked fourth in the world.

"He really has made me believe in myself," Safin said. "I never believed in myself before, until I started to work with him.

"It took us a little bit longer time than usual to come up with results. But it went right; it went in the right way."

And it certainly seems to be paying off.

Safin had been outplayed 3-6 6-4 6-4 7-6 (7-4) by Thomas Johansson when he first appeared in an Australian Open final in 2002 and, after a gruelling route to the final in 2004 (he played 27 sets), lost 7-6 6-4 6-2 to Federer.

But he was far more economical (17 sets played) on the way to this year's semi-finals and, helped by Lundgren's knowledge of the reigning champion, claimed a superb five-set victory.

"Normally Roger toys with everybody," Safin explained after his win.

"That's why the job of the coach is to improve you to try and be as close as you can to Roger."

But, asked how Lundgren had helped him overcome Federer, Safin smiled and said: "I'm not going to tell. I keep it for me."

One of the obvious changes that Lundgren has helped Safin develop, though, is a more relaxed approach, born out of his new-found belief.

"He tries to make me more focused on the court, try not to get too crazy, not to snap," Safin explained back in December after his Paris Masters victory.

"I can still snap but it's less now. He tells me to be more solid and, even if it isn't going well, just to keep going, keep on trying."

As he put it more simply after his latest success: "I am a little bit more calm and more confident in a way."

Mats Wilander, who won the Australian Open three times, was one of Safin's numerous coaches before he teamed up with Lundgren.

"What I found hard (coaching him) is that these guys need to learn the game themselves," Wilander said.

But Lundgren, who never made it past the second round in Melbourne as a player but did win three ATP Tour titles, seems to have the knack.

"We communicate really well. He understands who I am and I understand what he wants from me," Safin revealed.

And the 25-year-old is reaping the rewards, to the point that he feels their partnership could be a major turning point in his career.

"One grand slam, you can win by mistake, like I did in the 2000 US Open, but this one, I've worked really hard for that," he said.

"So I would love to now win a couple more. I think I have a chance if I am continuing this way.

"If Peter will stick around with me and he wants to work with me for a bit longer, I think I can make it."

SAFIN CAREER HIGHLIGHTS
1999 - wins first ATP title in Boston (I didn't know that he won a title in my Beantown :banana: and since when did Boston have tennis tournaments anyway? :retard: )
2000 - wins first grand slam, the US Open, and two Masters Series titles
2002 - wins Paris Masters and finishes year in world top three for second time in three years
2004 - wins two Masters Series titles and finishes year ranked fourth in the world
2005 - wins second grand slam, the Australian Open

Pea
01-30-2005, 10:18 PM
Peter has been a great impact. Especially on setting the mindset of Marat's.

maratski
01-30-2005, 10:29 PM
We all know Marat has a mental problem, but it isn't till recently that we see how bad the mental problem is. Here are some quotes of today's press conference.

Q. How come you didn't believe in yourself when you had the results you had?
MARAT SAFIN: Yeah, but it just it's a little bit difficult because once you have bad losses, like when people start to think you're not it's a public opinion, basically. Because the people that speak, they speak, you listen. The rumors, once it gets into your head, it's difficult to accept and you really start to believe that maybe it's who I am, you know. I have a talent, I'm a good player, but not good enough to be where I want to be. You can just lose to anybody, you can beat anybody, but that's it. They say that's who you are, and it's the maximum you can get.
Just it's little bit disappointing, you know, for the person like me to hear that and really to believe in that because I really start to believe that, you know, like that's it, that's just who I am.

Q. It's been such a long time between titles for you, major titles. Was there a time when you sort of thought, "Maybe I'm never going to win another major again"?
MARAT SAFIN: Yeah.

Q. When was that?
MARAT SAFIN: From the first final that I didn't win against Johansson, the first final. And then I couldn't see myself winning the Grand Slams anymore. Just I couldn't, I couldn't believe it. I couldn't believe I didn't believe. And just I was actually, I (inaudible) myself I'm good enough what I am, but definitely not for winning Grand Slams. I was once even in semifinals of French Open, but even though that I didn't believe I can win it. I lost to two semifinals because I just couldn't handle the pressure. You need to believe in yourself, and I didn't.

It seems Peter was able to get these ideas out of Marat's head and he gets my respect for that. I've been following Marat's career for almost five years now and I found out soon how hardheaded he can be, but he's no longer like that. :) Marat also knows his tennis can still improve and Peter helps with that as well. :)

star
01-30-2005, 11:29 PM
Thanks for that Ilhame. It sounds oddly like Federer talking about his lack of self confidence prior to 2003.

When I read that, I wonder what kind of words are bouncing around in Andy and Lleyton's heads right now.

thelma
01-30-2005, 11:41 PM
Good work, Peter! :hatoff:

Safin Thanks Coach After Winning in Australia

Sun Jan 30, 2:07 PM ET

By DENNIS PASSA, Associated Press Writer

MELBOURNE, Australia - Peter Lundgren was dumped as Roger Federer's coach in December 2003, barely a month before Federer won the Australian Open, the first of his three Grand Slam tournaments in 2004.

This year, Lundgren was cheering in the stands when his new pupil, Marat Safin, beat Lleyton Hewitt in the championship final in four sets at Melbourne Park on Sunday.

Safin paid special tribute to Lundgren, who began coaching the Russian in May of last year.

"I never believed in myself until I started working with him," said Safin. "We worked really hard. We communicate really well. He understood who I am and I understood what he wants from me."

Safin said it took four or five months for the work to show in tournaments.

"They are continuing to come," Safin said. "He makes me believe that I can be a good player, and I don't have so much doubt about myself, about my tennis. He's a great person and a great coach."

Lundgren celebrated his 40th birthday on Saturday. The Swedish-born coach won three singles and three doubles titles after turning pro in 1983, with his highest singles ranking 25th in 1985.

___

SERENITY NOW:@ New Australian Open champion Marat Safin was asked whether his racket-throwing tantrums can turn his game around when things are going the wrong way.

"Thank you, thank you, thank you," replied Safin, indicating that was precisely the case.

Safin acknowledged it's nearly impossible to keep his emotions in check. He only broke one racket in Sunday's final, a rarity.

"Sometimes you feel like it's really eating inside of you, and you have to let it go because you cannot handle the pressure," said Safin. "I was just swelling, swelling until I snapped because I couldn't take it anymore. And then it was a relief."

___

drf716
01-31-2005, 03:23 AM
Safin is becoming arrogant... ;) ;)
hehehe! you got the wrong guy definitely
Q. Can you talk about Marat as a person. You have connection over the years.LLEYTON HEWITT: Yeah, he's a good guy. Yeah, I get along really well with him. He's very laid back. He's a funny guy in the locker room. What you see is what you get, pretty much. What the public see, him on the court and, you know, even his speech and stuff like that, that's Marat in the locker room, you know.
I think everyone gets along with him pretty well. But, yeah, he's a really nice guy.

rue
01-31-2005, 04:23 AM
it is nice to hear this, lets hope results continue to be good for him

Damita
01-31-2005, 01:05 PM
Peter has made a great job so far! you can see Marat has changed, and i'm not complaining at all!!!!
Safin seems to really appreciate him. I think Lundgren is the coach he needed (too bad he was busy with another prodigy ;) ). He sounds very grateful in his interviews. And not only him. His mother, and his agent, Gerard Tsobanian, have said too that Lundgren understands Marat very well and that all the good work results from their good relationship. And as someone said above, he's probably the first coach Marat really listens to.

I hope they'll work together for long :bounce:

Mikas
01-31-2005, 02:01 PM
Lundgren is THE BEST!
and Marat knows that and he gives him confidence to play against any player (even Santoro...that would be the great and final test! :D :devil: )

wipeout
01-31-2005, 02:11 PM
Santoro? Hehehe... :lol:

Marat has already passed the Rochus test. ;)

tangerine_dream
01-31-2005, 05:39 PM
Another article about the magic potion Lundgren feeds Safin. ;)

Swedish Coach Was Key to Safin Win - Russian Chief
Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:36 AM ET
By Gennady Fyodorov

MOSCOW (Reuters) - Marat Safin's Swedish coach Peter Lundgren deserves huge credit for the temperamental Russian's Australian Open triumph, Russia's tennis chief said on Monday.

"Without question, Peter Lundgren has been able to get the best out of Safin, which is by no means an easy thing to do," Shamil Tarpishchev, president of the Russian Tennis Federation and the country's Davis Cup coach, told Reuters.

"You have to give full credit to Lundgren for the way he has handled Marat's temper and channeled it in a positive way."

Pictures of a victorious Safin covered the front pages of all major Russian newspapers on Monday following his four-set victory over Australian Lleyton Hewitt on Sunday.

"Safin conquered Melbourne," declared leading sports daily Sport-Express.

"Marat warms up (cold and snowy) Russia," echoed rival newspaper Sovietsky Sport after Safin overcame a nervous start to tame local hope Hewitt 1-6, 6-3, 6-4, 6-4 in a tense final and claim his first Australian Open title.

Tarpishchev once said that no foreign coach would ever get the most out of Safin because they could not fully understand the secrets of the Russian soul. But Lundgren has made him eat his words.

"Well, he proved me wrong, but I'm not bitter. I'm happy, very happy for both Marat and Peter," Tarpishchev said.

"It seems like they have found a common bond and you can see how much Marat respects his coach."

MATURE SAFIN

Over the last four years Safin has employed a number of different mentors, including another Swede and former world number one Mats Wilander and Britain's Tony Pickard, once the coach of former Wimbledon champion Stefan Edberg.

But none could get the best out of the often moody Russian. Then he hooked up with Lundgren shortly after losing to Roger Federer in last year's Australian Open final.

Lundgren, who has also coached temperamental Chilean Marcelo Rios, guided Federer to Wimbledon glory in 2003 but was soon dropped by the Swiss.

Safin also praised Lundgren for turning his career around. "He made me believe that I can be a good player and I don't have so much doubt about myself," the Russian said after his win.

"He understood who I am and I understood what he wants from me. It took us four or five months before the results came. But then once they came, they have continued to come."

Tarpishchev, however, was quick to point out that no coach could succeed unless the player himself wants to work hard.

"Clearly, you see a different Safin now than we knew him just a couple of years ago," said Tarpishchev.

"Then, he was simply wasting his talent, his huge potential. Now, with the help of Lundgren, he finally realized talent alone is not enough. There's also hard work, dedication and so on.

"But Marat is a different, mature person now. He knows what he wants in life and how to achieve it. I think only the sky is the limit for him now."

-----------

Eh? No one can understand "the secrets of the Russian soul"? Ok, I came of age during the end of the Cold War but I'd love to know what these supposed Russian secrets are. ;)

jmp
01-31-2005, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by tangerine_dream from Article

Tarpishchev, however, was quick to point out that no coach could succeed unless the player himself wants to work hard.

"Clearly, you see a different Safin now than we knew him just a couple of years ago," said Tarpishchev.

"Then, he was simply wasting his talent, his huge potential. Now, with the help of Lundgren, he finally realized talent alone is not enough. There's also hard work, dedication and so on.

"But Marat is a different, mature person now. He knows what he wants in life and how to achieve it. I think only the sky is the limit for him now."

I see a different, more mature Marat and I like it! :D

Thanks for the article, tangerine_dream. :)

maratski
01-31-2005, 07:31 PM
Now, with the help of Lundgren, he finally realized talent alone is not enough

:bowdown: Marat finally realised what we already knew years ago. :)

Thanks for the article!