The best and worst of AO 2005 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

The best and worst of AO 2005

MissMoJo
01-30-2005, 12:30 PM
The Aussie open was especially exciting this year, for both the postive and negative stories to come out of it.

The Chela spitting incident was a definite low point of the fortnight. It was disappointing for me not to see Rogi in the finals, but on the upside it was really great to see Marat playing well again.

How about you?

gsm
01-30-2005, 12:43 PM
can not put a finger on it , but i definately enjoyed this AO , was not dissapointed.

being very general i enjoyed the hard fought
hewitt/nadal
hewitt/nalbandian
nadal/youhzny
molik/davenport
williams/sharapova matches.

i think i would have liked to have seen the dechy/schnyder and safin/rochus match's aswell , but did not see them.

gsm
01-30-2005, 12:45 PM
opps , i forgot , not hard. the womens final was woefull. but not enough to take away from the whole tournament.

mitalidas
01-30-2005, 12:54 PM
IMO the Federer-safin is the only real classic to emerge from this tournament on the men's side
Not just boring grinding from the baseline like others, but surreal tennis, by two most gifted players on the planet. And how much closer could it get? The loser had more points, more 1st serve pct., and a lower UE count....
I am quite sure that on Tennis Classic they will be showing that match, not the final or any other AO 2005 match

On the women's side: the Serena-Sharapova has a sloppy start but great drama

lucashg
01-30-2005, 12:55 PM
Positive ~ It's always nice to see a great player finally getting what he deserves in this tournament, even though that costed my favorite player a place in the final which is definitely a negative point for us fans of Federer and, of course, for him. Besides his behavior, Hewitt's run really impressed me. He was truly "the" fighter of this AO. Kudos to him, also! So.. I enjoyed Federer's, Safin's and Hewitt's matches the most - the ones I saw. On the women's side, Molik x Davenport, Sharapova x Serena, Sharapova x Kuznetsova were the ones I liked better.

Negative: The women's final was AWFUL. I hate when sometimes Davenport just seems like she doesn't give a shit (even if that's not the case, it's what it seems like). Chela's spitting, Hewitt's behavior, Federer being eliminated ¬¬, Mello not passing through Coria, although he really did his best.

aceit
01-30-2005, 12:58 PM
I don't feel like listing everything but by far the best match was Fed/Safin and my favorite thing was Safin winning it all! :D

Five
01-30-2005, 01:00 PM
I was impressed most by recovery of Bepa Douchevina.She came back from 4-6 1-5 down to beat american opponent 4-6 7-6 6-4 :yeah:
and of course Marat is hero here:worship:Keep going Marat :bounce::bigclap:
The most disappointed moment is when Lena D lost to Patty Schnyder :sad::bigcry:

WyveN
01-30-2005, 01:03 PM
Hewitt abusing (threatening?) a linesman for a correct call with most of Australia watching was not a highlite and interestingly enough turned the match Safin's way.

On the other hand the Australian (men, women, doubles etc) success in this tournament has created more interest in tennis in Australia then I have seen in a while and that can only be good for the game.

Art&Soul
01-30-2005, 01:07 PM
The best: ROGI is a true fighter
The worst: the problem with his right hand so I cannot see him in the final

mitalidas
01-30-2005, 01:08 PM
Hewitt abusing (threatening?) a linesman for a correct call with the most of Australia watching was not a highlite and interestingly enough turned the match Safin's way.

On the other hand the Australian (men, women, doubles etc) success in this tournament has created more interest in tennis in Australia then I have seen in a while and that can only be good for the game.

It is the most grossly unprofessional thing a tennis player can do
To single out a linesman or lineswoman, identifying them to the whole crowd, and they are just doing their job; it is blatant intimidation tactics (no different from his "COMEON") in the desperate hope that the next close call that comes along, will have to go their way

hewitt and agassi are the absolute worst in this. roddick comes close too (he is just rude all around)

Auscon
01-30-2005, 01:09 PM
Lleytons brilliant run, stopped short by a brilliant Marat

Even though he didnt win it, this 100th Aussie Open truly was a victory for Aus, with success in mixed doubles, womens doubles, and to have Alicia and Lleyton do so bloody well.....definitely my most memorable AO!

Highs

Lleytons fantastic fighting run, especially his hardfought 5 setters and outstanding semi

Alicia almost tagging the world number 1 (and who knows what wouldve happened if she wouldve been given that gamepoint that was rightfully hers?)

Marat v Roger

1 of the only 2 people whom I wanted to see win this tournament, winning the tournament, even if I did want the other person to win alot more :)

Alicia grabbing her first grand slam trophy

Scotty draper multitasking and teaming up with Sam to win the mixed, good to see Sam was still able to keep herself in the limelight after having to face the Mauresmo in the 1st round

Chela deciding to aim his serve at Lleyton instead of the service box....dumbass yes, but it was still funny

Moya v Garcia - exciting upset to start off the tournament

Sharapova v Williams - too bad Maria couldnt finish it off on one of her multiple match points

Tournament attendance

Courier - well, not a huge high for me, but I was glad to have him here

The nice little celebration of our past greats

LOWS

Dumbass spitting....also funny though, well, mainly because he lost

Alicia not getting that ace of hers

The press continually trying to get stuck into Lleyton about his passion on court.....

The final...sortof...Lleyton said that after his match against Andy, that he'd need to lift his game again for the final...he was right, but wasnt even unable to get it to the quality that it was against Andy....still, I'm happy Marat was able to win (see Highs)

Womens final - Lindsay where art thou?

JA - he loves his aussie chargers, so I like the guy for that, but I just dont get all too excited about his commentary

Horatio Caine
01-30-2005, 01:11 PM
Best - Marat finally winning the title!
Briton Elena Baltacha qualifying and reaching 3rd round - great effort!! :worship:

Worst - The awful demise of Henman.
Finding out that Chela needs to add a spitoon to his kit.

Experimentee
01-30-2005, 01:22 PM
Best - Safin vs Fed match, Serena vs Sharapova, Serena winning the title, Marat winning and breaking his 5 yr Slam drought, and his losing streak in AO finals, Hrbaty making the QF, Baghdatis doing well, Suzuki playing well, Gaudio vs Hrbaty, Kiefer vs Rochus, Lopez vs Johansson.

Worst - Hewitt's annoying behaviour, esp towards the linespeople, his opponents not being able to finish him off when they could, Courier constantly harping on about Lleyton's injury. There wasnt much i didnt like about this tournament though.

Billabong
01-30-2005, 01:27 PM
My AO's favorite moments:
-Marat winning was the title was my favorite:banana:
-Lleyton reaching the finals after an awesome tournament
-Rogi still reaching the semis after a great fight in the semis
-Top-4 players in the semis

My only low is to see Youzhny lose when he had the easiest shot in the world at match point:lol:!

Auscon
01-30-2005, 01:33 PM
Worst - Hewitt's annoying behaviour, esp towards the linespeople, his opponents not being able to finish him off when they could, Courier constantly harping on about Lleyton's injury. There wasnt much i didnt like about this tournament though.

I predict Experimentee will be a huge Lleyton fan by the end of this year, I think he knows this to be true :)

Auscon
01-30-2005, 01:35 PM
oh, another High...

Blake trying to dish back some of that come on magic at Lleyton, and then proceeding to be thrashed thereafter

Kristen
01-30-2005, 01:38 PM
BEST:
-My favourite (after the old / injured one) exceeding all my expectations, on court and off. (Jurgen)
-Free Powerade drink bottles :lol: with each Powerade purchase.
-Rod Laver Arena air conditioning.
-Qualifying rounds. Access / players / matches
-Meeting complete strangers at the tennis :yeah:
-Being in a "mixed" dorm for 6 people, with 5 other (euro) guys! :drool: England really does have a lot to offer!
-Being 'stalked' by that "greek" guy. :haha:

WORST:
-Frosty Fruit = $2.20
-Water = $3.90
-That freaking Garnier salon. Seeing women lined up for hours, when they could be seeing a game called tennis.
-Corporate ticketholders
-Melbourne weather :rolleyes: When they predict it will be low 20's, it should not reach mid thirties!

MOST ENTERTAINING:Chela forgetting his manners...and the expression on Lleyton's face, in newspaper pics!

KarstenBraasch#1
01-30-2005, 01:50 PM
Best - Kiefer losing 1r

Worst - Women's final

howardean
01-30-2005, 02:41 PM
Worst - Women's final
my god, that was so painful! :sad:

high: seeing serena checking her reflection in her freaking trophy to fix her heinous hairdo during the ceremony, two faves in men's final

lows: dechy defeating myskina, tommy haas losing first round :awww: , the suckfest that is espn commentators

alexito
01-30-2005, 02:50 PM
best federer no win
worst davenport

*Ljubica*
01-30-2005, 02:51 PM
Best Moments

Marat winning the title :)
David reaching the Quarter Finals
That brilliant match between Federer and Safin
Gaudio winning two rounds and beating the ghastly Gimelstob :devil:
Calleri winning his first ever 5-set match