Marat V. Yvegeny [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Marat V. Yvegeny

Tennis Fool
01-30-2005, 01:25 PM
Kafelnikov has said in the past that he didn't want any other Russian man to eclipse his achievements in tennis. Has Marat done this?

federer express
01-30-2005, 01:27 PM
yes...and he will do so even more in the next 5 years (in all probability)

Raquel
01-30-2005, 01:28 PM
I am not sure if he has eclipsed Yevgeny yet but after reading that Yevgeny wants no one to overtake his records, I hope Marat does it soon. That's a bit immature from Yevgeny - basically saying I have achieved this but no other Russian in the future should be seen as better than me.

aceit
01-30-2005, 01:29 PM
That's a bit immature from Yevgeny - basically saying I have achieved this, no other Russian should be seen as better than me.
Exactly. I'd be excited and honored to be the first of hopefully many great Russian male players if I were him.

Sjengster
01-30-2005, 01:31 PM
Just about, obviously he's some way behind in titles but if he keeps up this level he should overtake Kafelnikov's 26 by the end of his career. I'm not expecting Safin to win multiple GS doubles titles or an Olympic gold medal either, both underrated achievements by Kafelnikov, but he's already spent longer at no. 1 than the Y-Man and surely he will win at least one more Slam in singles.

RonE
01-30-2005, 03:05 PM
Yevgeny was an arrogant selfish prick, I definitely hope Marat wins at least another GS title somewhere along the line to put that issue to rest :devil:

Boris Franz Ecker
01-30-2005, 03:10 PM
Yevgeny is still ahead, he won 2 Grand Slams + Olympic Gold Medal, this gold medal keeps him in front until Safin can add another major title.

fangirl
01-30-2005, 03:24 PM
As far as I am concerned he has. It is not always about the amount of titles you have - Marat has more ten times more class in his pinky finger then Yevgeny coukd ever dream of possessing and I think that counts for something. It is hard to say a bad word about Marat, yet I could effortlessy run off the 4 letter words about Yevgeny if I felt so inclined.

Besides, Marat is going to win the Australian Open again and more grand slams to boot so Yevgeny can go and eat some humble pie now.

tennischick
01-30-2005, 04:52 PM
Kafelnikov has said in the past that he didn't want any other Russian man to eclipse his achievements in tennis. Has Marat done this?
not yet. but if he keeps winning like this he definitely will. for now i still give YKant the edge.

Timariot
01-30-2005, 05:31 PM

Uh, where he has said so? Sounds very unlikely, because he worked to develope Russian tennis. I know he isn't very appreciated in the West, but he commands much respect amongst fUSSR tennis players.

As far as career totals go, Yevgeny is still ahead overall, because of more titles, Olympic Gold and RG+AO is more valuable combination than USO+AO (due to clay factor), and also because Kafelnikov's doubles achievments.

However Safin's titles have been won in much shorter timescale and there is no doubt that he has superior potential and is likely to eclipse Kafelnikov. YK never won more than 4 titles per year and he never won any Masters/Super 9 singles titles. Also, while Yevgeny had all the tools to become real all-time great, he never had the mindset to make it happen. He almost always lost to contemporary top players and seldom seemed truly to believe that he was one of the best. Safin by contrast has mind and will of a champion and isn't afraid of anyone (except maybe Santoro :devil: )

tennischick
01-30-2005, 05:33 PM
...Safin by contrast has mind and will of a champion and isn't afraid of anyone (except maybe Santoro :devil: )
and Ollie a little bit :devil:

*Ljubica*
01-30-2005, 06:19 PM
Yevgeny was an arrogant selfish prick, I definitely hope Marat wins at least another GS title somewhere along the line to put that issue to rest :devil:

RonE :eek: How can someone as nice as you be so cruel to one of my all-time favourites!!!!! At the moment, I think it's fairly clear that Marat hasn't overtaken Zhenya's great achievements, but if he carries on playing as he has this past two weeks he'll do it in a year or so for sure. Now I'm going off to sulk RonE - and I thought you were my friend :sad:

Adman
01-30-2005, 06:21 PM
Definatly Marat has tanned Kafelnikov's ass I can't stand Kafelnikov he's so arragant, he should be congratulating Marat.

Timariot
01-30-2005, 06:26 PM
Definatly Marat has tanned Kafelnikov's ass I can't stand Kafelnikov he's so arragant, he should be congratulating Marat.

Says who that he hasn't? This is from Safin's yesterday interview:
---------
Q. Have you heard from Yevgeny at all during this fortnight?

MARAT SAFIN: No, I got the ‑‑ I got an SMS from him, "Good luck."
---------

Zhenya at least was honest towards the media, unlike Sampras, Agassi etc with their faked class.

fangirl
01-30-2005, 06:29 PM
You can be honest to the media without being a classless douchebag. Look at Marat - he is honest to the media and doesn't hold back, and is still one of the classiest guys out there.

Billy Moonshine
01-30-2005, 07:33 PM
What's wrong with Kafelnikov? I tought he was quite a decent guy in interviews and what evidence is there to prove he's selfish? What did he do, buy a packet of biscuits and not offer you any? What's wrong with saying he doesn't want anyone to surpass his achievements- he didn't say they couldn't, he just wants to be remembered as the best. The only problem I have with this comment is that he shouldn't have tanked so many matches then. Marat will probably overtake him achievement wise, but until he does, right now, on paper, Kafelnikov is still the better of the two.

Dirk
01-30-2005, 08:34 PM
Kafel was very consistent in his career despite being aloof in some matches. He made the top 8 7 times in a row and is a very well rounded player. Safin will surely win Oz again if he stays healthy as it's his best surface and will likely pass Kafel, but Kafel is still cool and was one of a kind.

the cat
01-30-2005, 09:01 PM
TF, I don't remember Kafelnikov ever saying that. I can't see how it would matter to Yevgeny if Marat becomes a better tennis player than he was. Safin winning the 2005 Australian Open and beating Roger Federer along the way in the semifinals is great for Russian tennis. :D

RonE
01-30-2005, 10:09 PM
RonE :eek: How can someone as nice as you be so cruel to one of my all-time favourites!!!!! At the moment, I think it's fairly clear that Marat hasn't overtaken Zhenya's great achievements, but if he carries on playing as he has this past two weeks he'll do it in a year or so for sure. Now I'm going off to sulk RonE - and I thought you were my friend :sad:

Rosie you know I am your friend :hug:

I just don't like Yevgeny, please don't take it personally ;)

maratski
01-30-2005, 10:17 PM
TF, I don't remember Kafelnikov ever saying that. I can't see how it would matter to Yevgeny if Marat becomes a better tennis player than he was. Safin winning the 2005 Australian Open and beating Roger Federer along the way in the semifinals is great for Russian tennis. :D

Zhenya has said something like Marat will never achieve more and become more popular in Russia.

I always liked him and don't listen to what the media had to say about him. From what I've seen of him I conclude that tennis was his passion and if he doesn't want the entire world to know about his life, who cares.

ys
01-30-2005, 10:22 PM
Kafelnikov never said that he doesn't want Marat to eclipse his achievments, or, if you know otherwise, give us a link.

What I remember Kafelnikov saying was that he said that he thinks that he will stay the most accomplished Russian player, because he doubts Marat's ability to live up to his potential. But he never said that he wants Marat to underachieve.

Timariot
01-30-2005, 10:31 PM
Zhenya has said something like Marat will never achieve more and become more popular in Russia.

I always liked him and don't listen to what the media had to say about him. From what I've seen of him I conclude that tennis was his passion and if he doesn't want the entire world to know about his life, who cares.

I like this comment:

SAFIN: Kafelnikov is always right.

:)

drf716
01-31-2005, 02:35 AM
i don't believe Yevgeny could've said that. In fact he sent a good luck text message to Safin before the finals...... Safin, who got a good luck cell phone text message from the only other Russian to win a Grand Slam, Yevgeny Kafelnikov... AP Zhenya is the most patriotic tennis player i think and he is just happy to do everything for his country so i don't think he wouldn't like other russians to bring glory to their country.

Tennis Fool
01-31-2005, 03:47 AM
Kafelnikov never said that he doesn't want Marat to eclipse his achievments, or, if you know otherwise, give us a link.

What I remember Kafelnikov saying was that he said that he thinks that he will stay the most accomplished Russian player, because he doubts Marat's ability to live up to his potential. But he never said that he wants Marat to underachieve.
Hey YS :wavey:

Never see you on this board, anymore. So what do you think of the state of men's tennis nowadays?

tennischick
01-31-2005, 03:50 AM
i see that this is yet another of your bacchanalist headlines TF. really you should be working for the Enquirer. :p

Tennis Fool
01-31-2005, 03:54 AM
i see that this is yet another of your bacchanalist headlines TF. really you should be working for the Enquirer. :p
All I wrote was "Marat v. Yvegeny" :confused. What could be more innocent than that.

tennischick
01-31-2005, 04:06 AM
check your opening post Mr. Innocent :p and you missed a dot for :confused:

jole
01-31-2005, 04:31 AM
I understand why some might loathe Kafelnikov. But seriously, he is one of the most misunderstood individuals in the history of tennis. He produced some amazing stuff and had the talent, but not the drive, to do much more.

*Ljubica*
01-31-2005, 06:30 AM
Rosie you know I am your friend :hug:

I just don't like Yevgeny, please don't take it personally ;)

I didn't take it personally - only joking :hug: Still love Zhenya though :)

martinaHforever
01-31-2005, 06:59 AM
Y-man may having been saying this in jest. Often players say things with a half-laugh and a smirk in interviews. And the way he was questioned may have been in jest too. Overall I think Y-man's personality was great for the game, spiced it up.

CooCooCachoo
01-31-2005, 12:39 PM
Yevgeny was much more consistent, but Marat is more talented :) I do not think you can compare these two.

Puschkin
01-31-2005, 01:04 PM
It only needs a little reading between the lines that those two are not the closest friends. They come from the same country and that forces some people to compare them. I very much liked the way Evgenij played tennis, I have seen him more than once live and it was god sports. Occasionally he behaved outright stupid in interviews. I think was partly due to his poor command of English, particularly in the early stages of his career, and partly due to a deep uncertainty which he tried to disguise.

Sjengster
01-31-2005, 04:39 PM
I don't know whether this quote of Kafelnikov is true, and he doesn't strike me as someone overly arrogant - in fact, if he'd had a bit more self-belief and confidence in himself he probably could have achieved more in the game. That said, he is the kind of man who would look at his Top 5 placing in the all-time prize money earners list and say that was one of the greatest achievements of his career.

federer express
01-31-2005, 04:41 PM
I don't know whether this quote of Kafelnikov is true, and he doesn't strike me as someone overly arrogant - in fact, if he'd had a bit more self-belief and confidence in himself he probably could have achieved more in the game. That said, he is the kind of man who would look at his Top 5 placing in the all-time prize money earners list and say that was one of the greatest achievements of his career.

He played enough tournaments to earn that money

federer express
01-31-2005, 04:42 PM
he should have focussed more on the majors...in my view

Denise
01-31-2005, 06:13 PM
Marat is more talent than Yvegeny! :o so, i don't like to say aything else :p

Vass
01-31-2005, 07:27 PM
I don't know why, but if Marat and Yevgeny were of the same age I would have been Yevgeny's fan...
Of course now I want Marat to win as many titles as he can...

jmp
01-31-2005, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by tennischick
So true! :lol:

Tennis Fool is a little :devil:

;)

Timariot, I learned a lot from your post. Thanks. :)

mishar
02-01-2005, 12:17 AM
marat has a better record against his contemporary greats, I think. Yevgeny trailed in H2H against Agassi, Becker, Hewitt, Kuerten, Moya and of course a dismal record against Sampras. He had good records against Rafter and Rios.

He won the 96 French over such great clay-courters as Krajicek, Sampras and Stich, and the all-time greats he beat to win the 99 Oz were Haas, Enqvist and Todd Martin.
I'm not saying he didn't deserve them, but Marat had much tougher competition: Pete Sampras on his home court, and then this year of course Federer and Hewitt back to back. In addition Marat has a winning record against Hewitt, and a much better record against Federer and Roddick than most others.

Right now YK is still ahead in accomplishments, but if Marat doesn't lose his head, he should catch up. I believe MS has already reached more GS finals (4). In fact, I believe Kafelnikov only reached 5 GS SF.

J. Corwin
02-01-2005, 12:30 AM
Kafel has achieved "way" more because of his singles titles, doubles titles, Olympic Gold...but of course Marat should surpass that in the next couple of years :worship: I wonder if Kaffy will come out of retirement :o (jk of course)

AgassiFan
02-01-2005, 12:34 AM
People have to remember than Kafelnikov was THE first ever Russian Slam winner in pro tennis - a huge fucking deal, believe me. These Russian girls wouldn't have the same confidence without him trailblazing the path.

Before him, Ukranian Medvedev reached as far as French Open semis after an upset of Edberg, and I remember being a kid and how excited I was that we finally produced a player with legitmate Top 5 talent - after being underwhelmed by solid-but-unspectacular guys like Cherkassov, Volchov, Olchovsky and even Chesnokov, who was one or twice in the Top 10 in the 80's.

Kafel has two slams and olympic gold as well as Davis Cup gold. Quite a few QF, SF and F appearances in all four slams. A bunch of lesser titles. Marat may be more talented, but until he matches Kafel's accomplishments and then exceeds them (because Ksfel was first to do it, Marat needs to be better), Kafel deserves as the best russian tennis player ever.

Fedex
02-01-2005, 03:31 AM
If hasn't already surpassed Kafelnikov in career achievements, there's no doubt that he will in the near future.

AgassiFan
02-01-2005, 05:29 AM
If hasn't already surpassed Kafelnikov in career achievements, there's no doubt that he will in the near future.

What do you mean "there is no doubt"? Marat went nearly 3.5 years between slam wins. Talent-wise, only Federer is ahead of him right now, but, again, NOTHING is ever guaranteed to noone. A 6'4, relatively heavy guy like him running and diving around on hard courts - a back problem just waiting to happen.

Fedex
02-01-2005, 05:33 AM
What do you mean "there is no doubt"? Marat went nearly 3.5 years between slam wins. Talent-wise, only Federer is ahead of him right now, but, again, NOTHING is ever guaranteed to noone. A 6'4, relatively heavy guy like him running and diving around on hard courts - a back problem just waiting to happen.
I said, if he can keep going at the pace he is going, he will supass him in achievments. Even if it takes Safin another 3 or 4 years to win another major, he will still have surpassed Kafelnikov in achievements.

TheMightyFed
02-01-2005, 01:41 PM
marat has a better record against his contemporary greats, I think. Yevgeny trailed in H2H against Agassi, Becker, Hewitt, Kuerten, Moya and of course a dismal record against Sampras. He had good records against Rafter and Rios.

He won the 96 French over such great clay-courters as Krajicek, Sampras and Stich, and the all-time greats he beat to win the 99 Oz were Haas, Enqvist and Todd Martin.
I'm not saying he didn't deserve them, but Marat had much tougher competition: Pete Sampras on his home court, and then this year of course Federer and Hewitt back to back. In addition Marat has a winning record against Hewitt, and a much better record against Federer and Roddick than most others.

Right now YK is still ahead in accomplishments, but if Marat doesn't lose his head, he should catch up. I believe MS has already reached more GS finals (4). In fact, I believe Kafelnikov only reached 5 GS SF.

Very true, to have beaten Sampras in USO and Fed in GS semi-final in his current extra-terrestrial form is already something great. Even if he doesn't improve his GS record, when people will ask in 10 years: is there a player who has beaten Sampras AND Federer in big occasions ? One name will pop up: Marat. Respect :worship: :worship: :worship:

WyveN
02-01-2005, 04:03 PM
I don't know whether this quote of Kafelnikov is true, and he doesn't strike me as someone overly arrogant - in fact, if he'd had a bit more self-belief and confidence in himself he probably could have achieved more in the game.

Yes, he thanked Sampras for not turning up during his presentation speech at 99 AO. :haha:
No wonder he would just about always play horrible tennis when they versed.

Vass
02-01-2005, 08:43 PM
in fact, if he'd had a bit more self-belief and confidence in himself he probably could have achieved more in the game.
Perhaps win a Masters Series Event? :shrug: I couldn't believe hat dude,