Will Marat Safin be the new number 1 at the end of 2005? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Will Marat Safin be the new number 1 at the end of 2005?

Drimal
01-30-2005, 01:06 PM
Marat Safin played a very grest tournament by winning the Australian Open and beating the (nearly) unbeatable Roger Federer.

If he continue playing like this he has a chance to become the number 1 at the end of the year! :D

What do you think? :wavey:

aceit
01-30-2005, 01:24 PM
I say no, but I think that he'll be the one to test Roger for the ranking.

Five
01-30-2005, 01:27 PM
you can win Grand Slam titles even you're not number 1 ;)

kokket
01-30-2005, 01:27 PM
dont think so

i would like to see Marat fighting for no. 1 Spot but Federer is too strong u know

My prediction:
i think Fed will dominate the clay and grass season
well and a big Win in US Open for Safin :)

Fed - Saf for TMC Final -_-;

Tennis Fool
01-30-2005, 01:32 PM
I love Marat but here's the reality:

Roger Federer
:big gap:
Marat Safin
Lleyton Hewitt
:gap:
Andy Roddick
:gap:
Rest of top 10

renatoal
01-30-2005, 01:43 PM
No, Federer still the best ... but Safin will be the number 2 probaly :P

lucashg
01-30-2005, 01:45 PM
No, he won't. If he keep his game up like he has lately, he will challenge Federer like no one was capable of doing in the past year, but you have to remember that there's also room in Federer's game for improvement and if that happens, I don't see Safin reversing their H2H anytime soon.

I quite agree with Tennis Fool, but I don't think there'll be this huge gap between Federer and Safin/Hewitt. A comfortable difference for Roger? Yes, but not like he had last year with Roddick being #2.

Auscon
01-30-2005, 01:47 PM
No, Roger will remain number 1 at the end of the year

Maybe this will be a big turnaround for Marat in terms of consistancy, but I'm still not 100% sure of that....hopefully Lleyton will be able to dust himself off after this loss and sink his teeth into the rest of the season...I think it will be quite close between Lleyton, Safin and Andy in contesting the number 2 spot

Sjengster
01-30-2005, 01:47 PM
He has a great chance to move up later in the year considering the total absence of points he has to defend from Wimbledon and the US Open, in contrast to Federer's two titles and Roddick and Hewitt's finals respectively. In fact, apart from Estoril, Monte Carlo and RG he has no significant points at all to defend until the autumn. His best opportunity to take the no. 1 spot would be right after the US Open, which would be when all Federer's GS points from last year would have come off (obviously he'll defend the majority of them) and Safin would have his highest total of points. That said, it'll be tough to end the year no. 1 given the massive number of points he has to defend in the indoor season - around 1200, I think, from Madrid, Paris and the TMC, compared to Federer's 750. That should make for a close finish in the rankings, possibly coming down to the last couple of tournaments.

Art&Soul
01-30-2005, 01:51 PM
Its still a long road to go and #2 is good for him. Like everyone said, ROGER is still the BEST@@@@@

WyveN
01-30-2005, 01:52 PM
I think to seriously challange for #1 Safin will need a good performance at Wimbledon, otherwise Hewitt's and particularly Federers consistency on all surfaces might be difficult to make up.

Five
01-30-2005, 01:55 PM
No, he won't. If he keep his game up like he has lately, he will challenge Federer like no one was capable of doing in the past year, but you have to remember that there's also room in Federer's game for improvement and if that happens, I don't see Safin reversing their H2H anytime soon.

I quite agree with Tennis Fool, but I don't think there'll be this huge gap between Federer and Safin/Hewitt. A comfortable difference for Roger? Yes, but not like he had last year with Roddick being #2.
huge gap :lol: Remember Federer was beaten by Safin 2 days ago ;)

WyveN
01-30-2005, 02:00 PM

There is still a gap between Federer and the rest (as the ranking points prove). Safin will need 1 or 2 more wins over Federer to prove that he is capable of beating him on a consistent basis. We will find out soon enough.

Horatio Caine
01-30-2005, 02:03 PM
See my thread on whether Roger Federer will lose his number 1 ranking at nay stage this year. It has provoked much talk and criticism.

magdanovich
01-30-2005, 02:05 PM
I'd love to see Marat vying for the number one spot, but I can't see him overturning Federer so easily. For sure if he has a good Summer at Wimbledon and the USO he has a fighting chance, (although only the USO is surely a 'viable' option here) but he certainly won't be having it all his own way come the 2005 Autumn Indoor Season, where he picked up so many points in 2004. If it does indeed prove to be such a close (or at least a closer) competitive season as so many are predicting, the big guns could all still be blazing away post-USO. In 2004 the top spot had been more or less signed and sealed; only the battle for attendance at TMC Houston was left between Safin, Agassi, Henman and even Nalbandian. Safin came into form, under ideal conditions for his style of play (which is so important with him, more than many I think), and with lesser competition or even determination from many of his competitors at that time. Luckily, and no doubt due to solid work and mental strength, he has carried this form through to great effect, although the AO is clearly one of his favourite surfaces, tournaments, overall comfort zones. It all makes for a very interesting season.

Experimentee
01-30-2005, 02:06 PM
I dont think so. When Marat is on, he is as good as or better than Federer. However he is very inconsistent and you just dont know when he'll show up. With Federer, he can play a consistently high level all year, but for Marat that is impossible. There will always be tournaments where he lacks motivation. Last year too he played great at the AO and we thought he'd have a great year, but then had bad results after. He can pick up points at Wimbledon, but I'm not too sure about that after what he said about that tournament last year. So he has the ability to be #1, but not the consistency.

Drimal
01-30-2005, 02:09 PM
There is still a gap between Federer and the rest (as the ranking points prove). Safin will need 1 or 2 more wins over Federer to prove that he is capable of beating him on a consistent basis. We will find out soon enough.

Yes, it is really hard to become a number 1 at the end of the year. For that you must be better than Roger Federer and this man is at the moment a class of its own (although he lost to Safin two days ago ;) )

Roger has more equal performances on a top level than Marat. Marat wins the Australian Open and is on a good jump but a few weeks later he can loose with a bad performance in the first round of a challenger or a Grand Slam and Roger wins two or three titles in a row without giving up a set. ;)

But if Marat would be the new number 2 at the end of the year, that would be great.

I think the Top 5 at the end of the year will look like this:

1. Roger Federer
2. Marat Safin :D
3. Lleyton Hewitt
4. Andy Roddick
5. David Nalbandian

Horatio Caine
01-30-2005, 02:18 PM
I think the Top 5 at the end of the year will look like this:

1. Roger Federer
2. Marat Safin :D
3. Lleyton Hewitt
4. Andy Roddick
5. David Nalbandian

That really wouldn't surprise me.

Iheartandy&roger
01-30-2005, 06:25 PM
Safin is definately in the running for the #2 spot this year he's showing lots of promise this year, it'll be a nice little race between Hewitt, Safin and Roddick this year for that spot. Rogi is in a class on his own for now i'm afraid and I dunno if any body will take that #1 from him but who knows the year's only begun.

RodLo
01-30-2005, 06:30 PM
I don't think he'll take the number one spot, but I definitely wouldn't mind if he did.

Fergie
01-30-2005, 07:52 PM
No, Roger still the best ;) ...But Marat will finish like #2

Dirk
01-30-2005, 08:29 PM
About this time last year everyone probably thought Hrbaty would make the Cup. Still way too early to tell. If he can beat Roger one or more times this year then yes he probably has a shot at it. Safin has little to defend till fall but Roger can pick up points at Miami and during the clay season outside of hamburg.

MariaV
01-30-2005, 08:50 PM
Oh come on ppl, Roger is still the God and will be. Marat may lose 1st rd at RG and Wimby, with him you never know.

ys
01-30-2005, 08:59 PM
Now I think he has a chance.. Because AO went against what I thought should happen..

Comparing Marat's and Roger's chances at all 4 Slams, considering their gamestyles suiting the surfaces, I thought that Roger has a clear advantage at two of them Wimbledon and AO, while Marat has a slight advantage in two other Slams.
So I reckoned, with this balance Marat's chances are not good. But Marat winning the "Roger's" Slam - AO, certainly shifts the balance quite into his favour. Considering that Roger will win W ( which he still has to do, though it is hard no to see him winning it ), it will only equalise things, and I consider Marat having somewhat better chance at RG and USO.

So, before this tournament I considered Roger at 60% of ending year as #1, while Marat as about 20%. Now, the edge has to go to Marat. Roger, having probably 35% and Marat having like 40%..

_pyromatic
01-30-2005, 09:31 PM
I would love it if Marat could be number one, but I doubt that's possible.

Still, Lundgren seems to be doing a good job with Marat's brain and if he can stay focused for the entire year Federer could have some trouble.

wimbledonfan
01-30-2005, 11:52 PM
I think Roger has a 70 % chance of being number 1 and Marat Safin has about a 40 % chance of being # 1 . Add Roddick and Hewitt about 10 % each .

PaulieM
01-31-2005, 02:09 AM
it was one match, it's not like all of a sudden Roger sucks. He's still above the rest. :)

drf716
01-31-2005, 03:28 AM
i hope so! i really really hope so!

iluvcandy227
01-31-2005, 03:33 AM
i think andy will be number 1. Well maybe he wont but i would really like it if he was

marilag
01-31-2005, 03:36 AM
Yes, he can, if they do what Nalbandian suggested was the only way to defeat Roger Federer --- beat him up in the locker room before his matches. LOL

J. Corwin
01-31-2005, 04:50 AM
If he keeps his head together and play as well as he has shown us this AO I think he's a lock for #2...no I doubt he'll surpass Roger.

jacobhiggins
02-03-2005, 11:43 PM
Rogers still head and shoulders above everybody including Marat. One ace by Federer and the match would have been over, he got sloppy and Marat took his shot.

Jennay
02-03-2005, 11:45 PM
It's too early for me, personally, to tell.

Marat can do it though. If not #1, I say #2.

PaulieM
02-04-2005, 12:12 AM
the key word is IF he keeps playing like this, and you never really know with Marat. Either way I still have to go with my man Roger for the #1 spot :)

CHapuL
02-04-2005, 12:15 AM
1 Federer
2 Safin
3 Roddick
4 Hewitt

Leena
02-04-2005, 12:15 AM
I think Roger has a 70 % chance of being number 1 and Marat Safin has about a 40 % chance of being # 1 . Add Roddick and Hewitt about 10 % each .
Then, I think Roger has a 129% chance of being #1... the other 1% is if he sustains a long-term injury.

wimbledonfan
02-04-2005, 12:39 AM
Finally someone got the joke :)

robinhood
02-04-2005, 05:10 AM
Yes, he can, if they do what Nalbandian suggested was the only way to defeat Roger Federer --- beat him up in the locker room before his matches. LOL

I think Thomas Johansson made that suggestion. Or did David also say the same thing?
Anyhow, I think Fed will maintain his #1 ranking throughout the year. Maybe the point gap will diminish at one point during the season, but it's hard to see him lose it when it is his main priority.

LiZpHaIr
02-04-2005, 05:20 AM
Eh...he'll be number 2 behind Tim.

chitchat
02-04-2005, 05:25 AM
Unfortunately, I don't think so but I do wish he does :)

tennisman.
02-04-2005, 05:34 AM
No Roger is still too good.
Hopefully Andy or Lleyton can do it:)

junekidd
02-04-2005, 07:27 AM
it is really too early to say anything. Marat needs more consistency that we could not expect much formerly. after he won the AO title(not only won Roger but other 6 matches), we could be a little bit optimistic meanwhile prepare for everything. I don't care too much if he could be No.1 of year-end. but I do hope he does well in big tournaments, esp in RG :angel: and except wimbley. :p