The "GO BURT" cheering thread [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

The "GO BURT" cheering thread

star
01-20-2005, 01:02 PM
:bounce:

BURT!!!

Reynolds, from Marietta, Ga., is ranked No. 283, and came to Australia without even having a spot in the qualifying event, moving up through withdrawals and injuries.

"It still hasn't sunk in," Reynolds. "I imagine I'll wake up tomorrow and feel a little bit different.

"Last night I made a phone call to Qantas, changing my flight until tomorrow. I guess I've got to call back and tell them I need another flight on Sunday or Monday, at least. I'm just ecstatic right now to be in this position and take advantage of how I played today."

Though he prepared by hitting with Andy Roddick, who gave him some pointers on Pavel's game, Reynolds was amazed at having won in straight sets.

"To get the first set was huge for me," Reynolds said. "It gave me confidence that I could compete with him."

If not for a visa problem, Reynolds would have been a few thousands miles away playing a small tournament in Brazil. He was denied a work visa by Brazilian officials, he said, and decided to roll the dice by flying here.

Hagar
01-20-2005, 09:55 PM
Yes, I was already wondering who on earth this guy was. I love these kind of stories.
Beating the 17th seed in straight sets is rather impressive. Curious what Bobby can do against Nadal.

jole
01-20-2005, 10:03 PM
Another hometown guy for me. Where did you find that small interview, Star?

Leena
01-20-2005, 10:04 PM
Please don't change your name to Robby Reynolds.

I wanna see this kid play. :)

khyber
01-20-2005, 11:47 PM
:bounce:
If not for a visa problem, Reynolds would have been a few thousands miles away playing a small tournament in Brazil. He was denied a work visa by Brazilian officials, he said, and decided to roll the dice by flying here.
It didn't even occur to me that athletes would need work visas for a competition. I wonder if the same holds for singers?

TennisLurker
01-21-2005, 02:27 AM
GO BURT

Tricky_Forehand
01-21-2005, 09:31 AM
I saw this thread and just had to post. Poor Bobby. This nickname might haunt him :lol:. i've seen him play a couple of time and he reminds me a lot of Brian Vahaly. Only Reynolds is a lot more agressive in how he plays. I'm impressed at how he's doing. He can now get straight into most Challengers after this instead of qualifying for those and/or playing Futures.

star
01-21-2005, 11:56 AM
Another hometown guy for me. Where did you find that small interview, Star?

That was from the LA times. :)

star
01-21-2005, 11:58 AM
Reynolds didn't even get into the qualies straight up.

He only got in because of withdrawals.

Deboogle!.
01-21-2005, 02:20 PM
They had him on ESPN last night in the studio and had a very nice chat! He said he was practicing with Andy the other day and he he seems to be a pretty relaxed guy. I imagine Nadal will get him pretty good but it's still a great story!!

smucav
01-21-2005, 03:57 PM
A few other tidbits about Reynolds from various articles:

Roommate (& childhood friend) of Robby Ginepri in Marietta, Georgia (near Atlanta).

Played three years at Vanderbilt University under coach Ken Flach (of Flach & Seguso).

Melbourne is only his 2nd time outside of the U.S.; the first was to the Slovak Republic in 2003 as a Davis Cup practice partner.

16th on the alternate list for the qualifying.

Leena
01-21-2005, 05:58 PM
Blah... he does know Ginepri.

I hope the suckness isn't contagious.

Leena
01-21-2005, 07:18 PM
Poor Bobby.

In his 1st big interview on ESPN... moron Fowler confuses him with Kevin Kim. :p