The best tennis match [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

The best tennis match

motasek
01-18-2005, 12:21 AM
What was the best tennis match you have ever seen?

papa_papped_a_lop
01-19-2005, 06:34 AM
Judah Friedlander Vs Andy Roddick.
The stakes were high, as Mandy was the trophy that Judah took.
The guy is super fit and was not a real surprise, afterall he was a ex-navy seal.

Santorofan
01-21-2005, 10:55 PM
With so many, it's hard to say...off the top of my head, in recent years I'd say Guga vs Max Mirnyi at the US Open a few yrs ago in the 4th round (?)...that match had everything and it was a total, all out war. Classic, intense night match in Louis Armstrong Stadium. Saw it in a Sao Paulo (Brazil) sportsbar, which for me, made it all the more memorable :)

bad gambler
01-23-2005, 12:31 AM
agassi v sampras SF in AO 2000
the highest quality u will ever hope to see

KCVH
01-24-2005, 04:43 PM
J. Mcenroe vs. J. Connors at the US-Open 80 and 84

daze11
01-25-2005, 10:26 PM
1980 Masters at Madison Sq Garden – Borg d. McEnroe 6-7 6-3 7-6. :eek: unbelieveable everything. :worship:

ae wowww
02-06-2005, 10:42 AM
What about the best doubles??

El Legenda
02-07-2005, 02:25 AM
What about the best doubles??

Ivan and Mario winning the Bronze in athens 16-14 3rd set. The last set was amazing.

HanaFanGA
02-09-2005, 05:24 PM
Sampras over Corretja at the 96 US Open was a great one. Both guys were spilling their guts (Sampras literally) on the Stadium Court in a 5 set marathon that wasn't lost by either player. As much as I admire and respect Sampras, I can't help but remember this match more for Corretja. What a gutsy effort! He went to his knees at the end but only because he had just given everything he had, not because he surrendered. Great match by both guys and probably one of my personal all time favs. :worship:

alfajeffster
02-11-2005, 01:45 PM
Sampras over Corretja at the 96 US Open was a great one. Both guys were spilling their guts (Sampras literally) on the Stadium Court in a 5 set marathon that wasn't lost by either player. As much as I admire and respect Sampras, I can't help but remember this match more for Corretja. What a gutsy effort! He went to his knees at the end but only because he had just given everything he had, not because he surrendered. Great match by both guys and probably one of my personal all time favs. :worship:

Oh my god- I was spilling my guts all over the living room floor during that match. It was gut-wrenching, and I respect your choice of match for the fight both players showed, but to me it was like watching a Graf/Sanchez-Vicario match. The difference between watching a player who likes to play to win versus a player who goes out there and plays not to lose. The punching dictator versus the counter-punching pusher. Sampras played another very similar match to this one at the open versus Jaime Yzaga where he had a complete mental and physical collapse, and the backboard retriever just hung in there for the kill. This style of match-up is as old as tennis. One similar match-up that had epic proportions was Hoad/Rosewall. It made for some spectacular drama at times, but you knew if Hoad was on his game, "muscles" may well have just stayed home that day.

HanaFanGA
02-11-2005, 04:51 PM
Hiya Alfa! :wavey: Another great one that could be thrown out there is the 1988 Masters final between Becker and Lendl. There weren't any guys in that match looking to be a back board. One of the great serve and volleyers vs. the ultimate 80's power baseliner was great from the first ball to the last let cord. Watching that match recently rekindled my interest in men's tennis.

aIrSaMpRaS14
02-15-2005, 11:36 PM
1999 Wimbledon Final Sampras V Agassi.

Possibly Sampras' greatest match for quality, he just didn't miss.

This is my personal favourite.

Topspin
05-16-2005, 03:41 PM
Pernfors v Connors, 4th round Wimbledon 1987. Fantastic, though at the time as a Pernfors fan, I didn't think so. 6-1, 6-1, 4-1 up ... and he lost! Connors, as usual, refused to give in. The match is the best I have ever seen on grass - it had everyone rivetted to their seats on the night. The way a great grass-court game should do.

Billy Moonshine
05-17-2005, 01:42 PM
Been watching tennis for so long and seen so many fantastic matches but Safin Vs Fed at this years Oz open is the most thrilling match I've seen. i really thought fed was going to win so to see Safin, one of my favorites, come back was amazing, especially in such a tense atmosphere. This match had everything for me, a guy I'm passionate about to support, great rallies and drama.

Auscon
05-18-2005, 06:56 PM
Been watching tennis for so long and seen so many fantastic matches but Safin Vs Fed at this years Oz open is the most thrilling match I've seen. i really thought fed was going to win so to see Safin, one of my favorites, come back was amazing, especially in such a tense atmosphere. This match had everything for me, a guy I'm passionate about to support, great rallies and drama.

yep, I cant see this match ever being bumped out of my top 5 matches I'll never forget list

We had it on delayed telecast for tv here (we were 2hrs behind Melbourne at the time of the AO),

Decided I'd listen to it on radio for 2hrs until it started on tv, then I'd just turn off the radio and watch the delayed telecast, so I sat outside with a beer and had the radio on next to me, listening to the match.....and by the time the match was to start on tv here, I couldnt pull myself away from the radio, so I just set a tape going to record the match on tv

By the 4th set tb I couldnt even sit down.....for the rest of the match I was just pacing around listening to the radio, bouncing a soft cricketball around and yelling out updates after every point to my Dad who was in his room watching Inspector Rex or something :) He didnt really care, but I had to yell them then and there to someone :) I remember the radio commentators continually saying it was possibly the greatest match they've ever had the privy to call.......I was grinning ear to ear, and I hadnt even watched it yet :)

guida
05-19-2005, 04:22 AM
For emotional reasons, the Sampras-Courier quarter-final at the 1995 AO.

4 hours, 5 sets, Sampras had lost the first 2; he was under enormous emotional tension because his coach Tim Gullickson had collapsed due to the recently diagnosed cancer. He was fighting tears and cramps, even sobbing at times. In the 5th set someone shouted: "Win it for your coach, Pete!" and he just cracked. Courier shouted across the net, in a jocular but warm manner: "Are you all right, Pete? We can do this tomorrow, you know."
Sampras then launched 2 aces in a row and would not be behind again. When they embraced at the end, Jim said: "I know you're dead, Pete... cause I'm dead."

Courier later said it was a miracle neither of them collapsed during that match and reminded everyone: "It's no surprise to me that he came back. That's Pete. This is a major."

I'll never forget that match for as long as I live.

tennisthing
06-02-2005, 09:20 AM
The game depends on the age of the person answering it. If you ask 'most' people between the age of 35 and 45 they will probably say the 1980 Wimbledon final between Borg and McEnroe. One becuse it was a fabulous game...the other because it was a defining moment in tennis.

Probably the game that brought tenmnis to the masses and made it the commercially viable game that it is today.

tennisthing

guida
06-03-2005, 05:56 PM
The game depends on the age of the person answering it. If you ask 'most' people between the age of 35 and 45 they will probably say the 1980 Wimbledon final between Borg and McEnroe. One becuse it was a fabulous game...the other because it was a defining moment in tennis.

Probably the game that brought tenmnis to the masses and made it the commercially viable game that it is today.

tennisthing

I'm 37 and that's exactly why I didn't mention that game; it would have been too obvious. Everyone knows you can't surpass that. :worship: :)

Auscon
06-07-2005, 11:20 AM
Just finished watching the Chang v Lendl 1989 RG R16 match for the first time....unbelievable match

Lendl made alot of errors, but it was just the sheer drama that made it so enthralling. Chang coming back from 2 sets to love against the world no.1....he was cramping badly all throughout the 5th set, barely able to move, yet still found it in him to defeat Lendl....that slice underarm serve, and then standing a couple of feet behind the service box to receive Lendl's serve on matchpoint. Incredible stuff.

pierce_mary
07-20-2005, 12:45 PM
Rafael Nadal - Mariano Puerta, Roland Garros 2005
The best I've seen so far

Auscon
07-21-2005, 12:43 PM

tennisthing

True, I mean, for me the greatest match would be one that I remember watching live, being on the edge of my seat....so Rafter/Ivanisevic Wimby or Safin/Federer AO would get my vote because of that

I'm 20, so I missed Borg, most of McEnroe, Conners, Lendl etc but I've gotten hold of alot of the great old matches and love watching them.....wish more younger fans liked watching all the old matches, really getting stuck into the history of the sport etc....then we might get more discussion in this forum :)

Jem
08-21-2005, 04:38 AM
Several come to mind:
Laver vs. Rosewall in the WCT finals -- 71 or 72, I can't remember, but it was one of the first matches I saw.

Sampras and Corretja was amazing at the U.S. Open

Borg-McEnroe at Wimbledon in 1980 just blew me away

Connnors over McEnroe at Wimbledon in 83 maybe; Gosh, there have been a lot of great matches, even Agassi and Rafter at Wimbledon was a killer!

tennisvideos
09-18-2005, 02:40 AM
Several come to mind:
Laver vs. Rosewall in the WCT finals -- 71 or 72, I can't remember, but it was one of the first matches I saw.

Sampras and Corretja was amazing at the U.S. Open

Borg-McEnroe at Wimbledon in 1980 just blew me away

Connnors over McEnroe at Wimbledon in 83 maybe; Gosh, there have been a lot of great matches, even Agassi and Rafter at Wimbledon was a killer!

Jem you picked some classics there! I only have highlights of those 71 and 72 WCT matches and both were great but one in particular that is decided in the 5th set T/B was sensational! Another classic oldie (which I didn't see live - LOL) was 69 Wimbledon Laver b Newcombe.

And the Sampras v Corretja, Borg v McEnroe, Agassi v Rafter, Rafter v Ivanisevic is another I loved and most recently Safin v Federer Oz.

Billabong
11-22-2005, 04:27 AM
-2000 Australian Open SF Agassi VS Sampras
-2000 Wimbledon SF Rafter VS Agassi
-2001 Wimledon SF Rafter VS Agassi
-2001 US Open 3rd Rnd Kuerten VS Mirnyi (more than 100 winners by Guga:eek: )
-2005 Australian Open SF Safin VS Federer

almouchie
11-22-2005, 09:19 PM
sampras def AA in wimb 00 final. the perfect match

Lou_Lou_Ferrero
02-06-2006, 11:32 PM
Don't know if it was the "best" match, but my personal favourite was the 2001 Wimbledon Final... Goran and Pat both wanted it so badly.... and the crowd atmosphere was unreal- unlike anything in a Wimbledon before or since.... just incredible

robrulz5
02-07-2006, 11:19 PM
2000 Australian Open Semi-Final: Agassi Vs Sampras.

I remember some people buying tickets to sit in the very back row for $200 off scalpers just to be able to see these two champions.

Agassi won 6-4 3-6 6-7 7-6 6-1

2005 Australian Open Semi-Final: Federer Vs Safin

A big build up to this match with both players playing well. If Federer hadn't of tried a trick shot on match point in the 4th set he would have won.

Safin won 5-7 6-4 5-7 7-6 9-7

mrki_tua
02-07-2006, 11:22 PM

I agree, lately you can't see this kind of matches, last one that is really great is AO semis 2005 Safin - Federer ;)

mrki_tua
02-07-2006, 11:26 PM
Don't know if it was the "best" match, but my personal favourite was the 2001 Wimbledon Final... Goran and Pat both wanted it so badly.... and the crowd atmosphere was unreal- unlike anything in a Wimbledon before or since.... just incredible
For me this was BIG TOUR in complete, I was watching Ivanišević every match from beach and drinking, hoping for miracle, it was big match, it costed me nerves, cause Ivanišević was a thriller player (missing easy shots, hitting hard)

stebs
02-08-2006, 05:01 PM
I cannot remember many of the older ones. I may have watched them but I would have to watch again to refresh my memory so I'll give my opinion on some recent ones from the last couple of years.

Top 5 since '04 (I know it may seem like I'm obssesed with Fed but he has simply been involved in the best matches)

5. Roger Federer def. Fabrice Santoro 7-5 7-5 7-6

This match was a sheer delight to tennis fans and non-fans alike, brilliant play by Fabrice. The magician of trick tennis versus the magician of tennis that works. The third set tie break was just something else.

4. Richard Gasquet def. Roger Federer 6-7 6-2 7-6

Simply staggering tennnis by the then 18 year old Gasquet. His shotmaking was ridiculous. The final set tiebreak should be known as one of the best of recent times.

3. Roger Federer def. Rafael Nadal 2-6 6-7 7-6 6-3 6-1

This match was a lesson to those who thought that Roger had no fight. Rafael Nadal taught him a lesson for 2 hours and had 4-1 in the third set but Federer dragged himself back into the match, the only bad thing about this match was that Nadal was too tired to make the fifth set a contest.

2. Gaston Gaudio def. Guillermo Coria 0-6 3-6 6-4 6-1 8-6

I have seen better tennis but for drama this match was like no other. Surely Coria should've won, he was teaching Gaudio a lesson in tennis but then suddenly he cramped and suddenly he was serving 60mph first serves. Coria wanted it soo bad that he even fought again in the fifth but it wasn't enough. A winner on match point just sealed the drama.

1. Marat Safin def. Roger Federer 5-7 6-4 5-7 7-6 9-7

Simply an epic match. Possibly the best tennis match we have seen this decade and one of the best Rod Laver Srena will see for some time. Each player had match points before Safin won it in the fifth with Federer on the ground. Both players were just so good near the end it was ridiculous. The fourth set tie-break was one of the best breakers of recent times and Federers ridiculous effort on match point cost him another grand slam final.

casabe
02-12-2006, 02:27 AM
their are a lot but cańas vs henman in 2004 AO was incredible

njnetswill
04-13-2006, 02:29 AM
Just finished watching the Chang v Lendl 1989 RG R16 match for the first time....unbelievable match

Lendl made alot of errors, but it was just the sheer drama that made it so enthralling. Chang coming back from 2 sets to love against the world no.1....he was cramping badly all throughout the 5th set, barely able to move, yet still found it in him to defeat Lendl....that slice underarm serve, and then standing a couple of feet behind the service box to receive Lendl's serve on matchpoint. Incredible stuff.

:worship:

Hawkman
06-19-2006, 04:53 AM
Hi all; my first post.

Jimmy Connor's at the U.S. Open in 1991 against Krickstein.

Connors being down 2 - 5 in the 5th and comes back to force the Tie-breaker and win's it 3-6 7-6(10) 1-6 6-3 7-6(4). The match took four hours and 41 minutes.

Amazing, awesome and inspiring. (The match in the 1st round against McEnroe was great too)

Tennisgirl1960
06-19-2006, 10:51 PM
Connors vs McEnroe Wimbledon 1982

Ivanisevic vs Rafter Wimbledon 2001

Jim Courier
07-05-2006, 10:52 PM
Rafael Nadal - Mariano Puerta, Roland Garros 2005
The best I've seen so far
Good choice, the quality was amazing and as a groundstrokes gourmet i thought that match was incredible, Puerta's forehand was on fire, he could pull off forehand winners in the middle of the court against Nadal! And still Nadal won in the end.. My only regret is it didn't go to 5 sets. It is such a loss that Puerta was suspended.

My favourite would be the Courier-Agassi RG 1991 final 5 setters, Courier is probably the only player i was really a fan of and he won with an incredible show of groundstroke winners against Agassi.

Greg-Pete fan
07-06-2006, 11:46 AM
Agassi vs Sampras (Australian Open 2000)
Sampras vs Agassi (U.S. Open 2001)
Safin vs Federer (Australian Open 2005)
Chang vs Lendl (French Open 1989)
Sampras vs Becker (Masters 1996 final)
Sampras vs Corretja (U.S. Open 1996)
Edberg vs Chang (U.S. Open 1992)
Connors vs Krickstein (U.S. Open 1991)
Becker vs Pioline (Wimbledon 1995)
Becker vs Sampras (Stuttgart-indoor 1996)
Sampras vs Courier (Australian Open 1995)
Agassi vs Ivanisevic (Wimbledon 1992)
Ivanisevic vs Rafter (Wimbledon 2001)
Rafter vs Agassi (Wimbledon 2001)
Sampras vs Chang (U.S. Open 1993)
Becker vs Agassi (Davis Cup 1989)
Sampras vs Lendl (U.S. Open 1990)

v__m
07-07-2006, 11:49 AM
for all portguese fans....

ESTORIL OPEN 2006

R16

Gil, Frederico (POR) @ Tursunov, Dmitry (RUS) 4-6 6-4 6-1

Pfloyd
08-28-2006, 10:53 PM
I don't know if these are THE BEST matches i've ever seen, but these two matches were truly amazing:

Nadal vs Coria Rome Final 2005, Nadal was down 3-0 in the fith set, and suddenly, out of nowhere, Nadal started playing the best I've ever seen him with his forehand to win the fith set in an epic tie break.

Nadal vs. Federer Rome 2006, the best match between Rafa and Roger, both played really well, Federer especially. Federer threw all that he possibly could at Rafa, especially in the 4th and 5th set, yet Rafa, somehow, came back from 4-1 in the 5th to win the match in another tie-break.

Raoul Duke
09-04-2006, 12:51 AM
Agassi vs Sampras (Australian Open 2000)
Sampras vs Agassi (U.S. Open 2001)
Safin vs Federer (Australian Open 2005)
Chang vs Lendl (French Open 1989)
Sampras vs Becker (Masters 1996 final)
Sampras vs Corretja (U.S. Open 1996)
Edberg vs Chang (U.S. Open 1992)
Connors vs Krickstein (U.S. Open 1991)
Becker vs Pioline (Wimbledon 1995)
Becker vs Sampras (Stuttgart-indoor 1996)
Sampras vs Courier (Australian Open 1995)
Agassi vs Ivanisevic (Wimbledon 1992)
Ivanisevic vs Rafter (Wimbledon 2001)
Rafter vs Agassi (Wimbledon 2001)
Sampras vs Chang (U.S. Open 1993)
Becker vs Agassi (Davis Cup 1989)
Sampras vs Lendl (U.S. Open 1990)
Good list. I'll try come up with one myself later.

The late 96 matches in Germany between Becker (arguably playing the best tennis of his career) and Sampras were truly great. Nice to see them listed.

thefan
09-06-2006, 02:11 AM
Hey, do you guys know any site that let you watcj old tennis matches?

Voo de Mar
10-20-2006, 02:38 AM
Munich, Grand Slam Cup 1993: Korda - Sampras 3-6, 7-6(3), 3-6, 7-6(10), 13-11 :worship:

High quality and drama, both players played with cramps, Korda saved match points in fourth and fifth set. Amazing! :clap2:

ExcaliburII
10-22-2006, 01:03 AM
gaudio-coria roland garros final.

boka
10-26-2006, 10:44 AM
For me this was BIG TOUR in complete, I was watching Ivaniševic every match from beach and drinking, hoping for miracle, it was big match, it costed me nerves, cause Ivaniševic was a thriller player (missing easy shots, hitting hard)

I was crying after the match , so happy he won , I was feeling almost like it was my personal victory. I didn't miss his match in over 15 years , in that time wanted to kill myself a few times and often wanted to kill Goran himself.
Lost tons of nerves , skipped my exams becouse of this final , almost staying without a degree , shit even I can't believe the things I did becouse of that man! But on that day it all came back , one of the happiest days of my life!

zanza67
10-26-2006, 11:13 PM
becker-lendl 1988 3-6 7-6 5-7 6-2 7-6 and netruller for becker at 7-6 in 5th tiebreak...

lendl-wilander 6-7 6-0 7-6 6-4 in 1987 in 4.47 hrs...worst backline duel ever?!...

hmm...coming back....little nostalgic now....

Voo de Mar
10-27-2006, 02:13 AM
becker-lendl 1988 3-6 7-6 5-7 6-2 7-6 and netruller for becker at 7-6 in 5th tiebreak...

What was Lendl's reaction after this bad luck?

zanza67
10-27-2006, 11:12 PM
What was Lendl's reaction after this bad luck?

as usual nothing...he is a cool one i think....

ExcaliburII
10-31-2006, 10:44 PM
Ivanisevic final match in Wimbledon is also a good one, so emotive.

guga2120
11-02-2006, 01:08 AM

agreed,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCgspkhSkRs

about as good as tennis gets, and i think they ever played against each other.

ExcaliburII
11-02-2006, 01:28 AM

wow how well played tiebreak.

MisterQ
11-02-2006, 01:46 AM

That tiebreak was exhilarating. The tension was incredible, and what quality from the players.

samn
11-04-2006, 06:37 PM

I wish I could see a recording of this match sometime. I remember reading at the time that no other match had ever been as close as this one. When the score was tied at 6 games all in the fifth set, Lendl and Becker were both dead even - not only had they both won 27 games each, they had both also won exactly the same number of points in the match.

So, ultimately, they were separated by the narrowest margin possible - two points, the more crucial of which was decided by a netcord. Really horrible luck for poor Lendl!

Voo de Mar
11-04-2006, 07:03 PM
I wish I could see a recording of this match sometime. I remember reading at the time that no other match had ever been as close as this one. When the score was tied at 6 games all in the fifth set, Lendl and Becker were both dead even - not only had they both won 27 games each, they had both also won exactly the same number of points in the match.

So, ultimately, they were separated by the narrowest margin possible - two points, the more crucial of which was decided by a netcord. Really horrible luck for poor Lendl!

One year later Becker beat Lendl in the US Open final... In the second round Becker saved one of two match points against Rostagno by a netcord... "double-poor" Lendl ;)

samn
11-04-2006, 09:54 PM
One year later Becker beat Lendl in the US Open final... In the second round Becker saved one of two match points against Rostagno by a netcord... "double-poor" Lendl ;)

More like "that lucky bastard Becker" ;)

zanza67
11-12-2006, 06:26 PM
I remember the matchpoint as an 20-30 backhandrally with topspin and slices back to back then becker tried a winner with topspinbackhand and got the netcord.

Enjoy Incubus
11-14-2006, 04:20 PM
Cańas def. Henman 6/7 5/7 7/6 7/5 9/7 AO 2005

NoGutsNoGlory
11-19-2006, 07:46 PM
Chang-Connors French Open 1991, R16

Connors lost the match, technically, but basically, he won :
he'd been trailing, was exhausted, cramped, but battled back to win the 4th set through sheer willpower. He was pumping his fists, shouting at himself, and the crowd was going as wild as I've seen the French crowd go for a non-French player.
At the beginning of the last set, he won the first point, ...
and then defaulted. Just to make a point.
I don't think I've ever been so taken by a tennis match, the drama of it, as then, watching Connors win while losing.

Chang-Lendl French Open 1989, QF.

Same set-up, different winner. Chang was wrung out, had cramps in his legs, couldn't run after most balls, but managed to win the last two sets through complete concentration & willpower.
At a certain point, he served an underhanded serve ("ŕ la cuiller", in French, which means serving with a spoon), which disconcerted Lendl so much that he never recovered. On match-point, serve Lendl, he stood about 1 or 2 meters inside the court, in order to intimidate Lendl into double-faulting, which he did.
I remember at the time, most everyone who had watched the match fell into one of two categories : those who thought Chang was a shameless faker, because nobody could play on for 2 sets with such bad cramps, and because some of his actions, like the match-point receiving position, were unsportsmanlike; and those who were entranced by his absolute will-power, his ferocious will to win.
The fact that Lendl couldn't handle the situation of being pitted against an opponent who was weakened, and didn't simply walk all over him, helped Chang a lot, of course.

McEnroe-Connors, Wimbledon 1984 F.

Arguably the greatest display of tennis mastery ever.
I was a huge McEnroe fan for the duration of his career, and have never seen him play as well as he did that day. Every ball he touched, every shot he played, was magic, perfect. He seemed to be on a cloud, or as close to Nibbana as humanly possible.
Had he been playing God, he would have won ;-)
I remember the BBC commentator saying words to the effect that "this has been the greatest display of tennis it has been my honor to witness in my whole career". And I'm talking about Dan Maskell, the man who according to the Tennis hall of Fame has never missed a single day's play at Wimbledon between 1929 and 1991, when he retired.[/FONT]

tennisvideos
11-23-2006, 09:38 PM
1971 WCT Championship Final: Ken Rosewall b Rod Laver 7-6 5th Set! :worship:

Osama B Hitler
11-28-2006, 06:11 AM
Connors v McEnroe - 1984 US Open semifinal
Agassi v Sampras - 2000 Aussie Open semifinal
Federer v Safin - 2005 Aussie Open semifinal
McEnroe v Lendl - 1983 WCT Finals (Mac wins 7-6 in the 5th)
Connors v Krickstein - 1991 US Open 4th round
McEnroe v Borg - 1980 US Open final
McEnroe v Borg - 1980 Wimby final
Connors v Borg - 1976 US Open final
Hewitt v Federer - 2003 Davis Cup semifinal match
Roddick v El Aynaoui - 2003 Aussie Open quarterfinal
Lendl v Becker - 1988 Masters final
Rafter v Goran - 2001 Wimby final
McEnroe v Wilander - 1982 Davis Cup semifinal match
Agassi v Sampras - 1995 Aussie Open final
Sampras v Courier - 1995 Aussie Open quarterfinal
Becker v Sampras - 1996 Masters final
Borg v Tanner - 1979 Wimby final
Borg v Connors - 1977 Wimby final
Connors v McEnroe - 1980 US Open semifinal
Connors v McEnroe - 1982 Wimby final

Burrow
11-29-2006, 07:26 PM
Safin vs Sampras US Open Final 2000. Only 12 unforced errors from safin, and sampras never even played bad, but still got crushed in straight sets.

zanza67
12-19-2006, 11:27 PM
Sampras-Becker 36 76 76 67 64 in ATP Champs '96 when Becker on his new level against big Sampras in Germany. Very big serve duel.

meninosantos
01-14-2007, 10:00 PM
for all portguese fans....

ESTORIL OPEN 2006

R16

Gil, Frederico (POR) @ Tursunov, Dmitry (RUS) 4-6 6-4 6-1

YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:worship: :worship: :worship: Frederico :angel:

Maybe this year he will beat Davydenko :p

Bancroft PS
01-19-2007, 08:31 AM
I've been watching tennis since '69 and the one match that stands out from any other is the Wimbledon final of 1980. Borg v McEnroe. It wasn't the best played match from beginning to end but it had the highest drama. Borg served for the match at 40-15 in the fourth set and served what appeared to be an ace, that would have given him the title, and even the crowd cheered for his apparent victory. But it was a fault. From then on it was as if McEnroe was annointed from God to turn the match into the greatest ever. McEnroe's level of play had dropped since the end of the second set but somehow managed to play near flawless tennis and pushed Borg into a tie-breaker. Just getting to this point was remarkable in itself. The tie-breaker went 18-16 which McEnroe won. He avoided several match points against him while Borg denied McEnroe the fourth set on several points. It was an extremely nerve wracking experience watching this. Nearly every point played was decided by a winner. Very few errors manifested during this game. Each player dodged several bullets.

Most people remember the tie breaker but forget about how good the fifth set was. McEnroe managed to win two games on his serve that had him at 0-40. He played some unbelievable volleys in those games to come back from digging himself into the deficits. Borg played the fifth set better. After losing the first two points to McEnroe, he never lost a point on his serve. He won on a passing shot, 8-6.

After winning the match, Borg said he had never felt so scared from losing a match. I think between this match and a similarly high level played match a couple of months later at the U.S. Open final against McEnroe, accelerated his desire to retire from the game. It just wore him out.

TV GUIDE magazine printed what it considered the 50 most memorable moments in sports a few years ago. I believe the only tennis match listed was this one. I can't remember its exact position, but I believe it was third, after game 6 of the '75 World Series and an NFL game. That's how good this was.

Hip-And-Happenin
02-24-2007, 10:29 PM
5. Ivanisevic def Rafter Wimbledon Final 1991 6-3 3-6 6-3 2-6 9-7
4. Sampras def Becker Singles Championships Final 1996 3-6 7-6 7-6 6-7 6-4
3. Sampras def Courier Australian Open Quarter-Final 1995 6-7 6-7 6-3 6-4 6-3
2. Agassi def Sampras Australian Open Semi-Final 2000 6-4 3-6 6-7 7-6 6-1
1. Borg def McEnroe Wimbledon Final 1980 1-6 7-5 6-3 6-7 8-6

trivfun
02-25-2007, 05:36 PM
I like the Andre Agassi and Jim Courier match on clay. It was like Riddick Bowe and Evander Hollyfield fights. Courier was a better player and fighter than Agassi and won more but Agassi survived him due to Pete. Stefan Edberg and Boris Becker was the same way at Wimbledon.

Rest of them were ebb and flow matches. Where one goes up and the other goes down. Lendl vs. McEnore, Mac blew it. I thought the Roscoe Tanner and Bjorn Borg match was good but it was more of a surprise. Same way with McEnroe and Borg in 1980 though it was even throughout.

Dini
06-16-2009, 10:56 PM
Bump. :angel:

Har-Tru
06-23-2009, 06:32 AM
Laver vs. Ashe Wimbledon SF 1969.

jonathancrane
06-23-2009, 02:07 PM
McEnroe - Connors US Open SF 1984

trivfun
08-08-2009, 04:19 PM
I think Connors vs. McEnroe in the 1980 U.S. Open semi's was pretty good. It went to a tie-breaker as well with John winning 7-6. See-saw battle.

The semi's of 1992 between Michael Chang vs. Stefan Edgberg was great in terms of excitement, you were wondering which was going to wilt first, Chang's serve or Edberg losing to the heat.

I like the Goran Ivansevic and Richard Krajicek match in the 1998 Wimbledon semi's.

Underrated not perfect but good matches. My favorites.

trivfun
08-08-2009, 04:24 PM
As far as finals, the Mats Wilander vs. Ivan Lendl in 1988 U.S. Open was great. Boris Becker beating Kevin Curren in the 1985 Wimbledon finals was fun in terms of international excitement it brought.

Tanner vs. Borg in the 1979 Wimbledon finals was good too. People remember, Roscoe missing a volley but Roscoe saved three match points on Borg's serve before losing.

mojoo999
08-27-2009, 12:23 PM
federer vs sempras

penzias
09-22-2009, 05:14 PM
One which no one mentioned yet
TMC 06 SF Federer - Nadal
It wasn't a final nor a 5 setter like the previous in Rome between them but the level of play of TMF that day was ridiculous, the best at his best.

Echoes
09-22-2009, 07:46 PM
[FONT="Tahoma"]
Chang-Connors French Open 1991, R16

Connors lost the match, technically, but basically, he won :
he'd been trailing, was exhausted, cramped, but battled back to win the 4th set through sheer willpower. He was pumping his fists, shouting at himself, and the crowd was going as wild as I've seen the French crowd go for a non-French player.
At the beginning of the last set, he won the first point, ...
and then defaulted. Just to make a point.
I don't think I've ever been so taken by a tennis match, the drama of it, as then, watching Connors win while losing.

Yeah definitely the best. I was 7 at the time. I had but a vague memory of it but I've watched the end of the match several times afterwards on TV or on Youtube. I was really moved. It's really the match that emphasized Connors' personality the most: tough through pain and competitive. The guy was 38 and Chang only 20 and this in an era in which tennis became rather a matter of power and physical strength.

McEnroe-Connors, Wimbledon 1984 F.

Arguably the greatest display of tennis mastery ever.
I was a huge McEnroe fan for the duration of his career, and have never seen him play as well as he did that day. Every ball he touched, every shot he played, was magic, perfect. He seemed to be on a cloud, or as close to Nibbana as humanly possible.
Had he been playing God, he would have won ;-)
[...]

Could someone tell me how many times Mac went to the net during this match? On the video at some point, the announcer (Laver?) said 132 and I counted 5 more thereafter. So, at least 137.

But how quick he was to get to the net ! And the quickest hands as well.

Sophocles
10-18-2009, 05:51 PM
Hard to pick just one, & obviously there are many matches I haven't seen. Commentators rated a number of matches between Tilden & Lacoste very highly, along with the Davis Cup semi-final rubber between Budge & Von Cramm (1936, I think), and some of Gonzales's matches (Sedgman, Schroeder, Passarrell - I have seen some of that), and the Laver-Rosewall W.C.T. matches. Smith against Nastase at Wimbledon was also meant to be good. Laver-Newcombe Wimbledon 1969 looks good judging by the clips on Youtube. Best matches I've seen all the way through are Ashe-Connors, Wimbledon final 1975, Borg-Gerulaitis, Wimbledon semis 1977, Borg-McEnroe, Wimbledon final 1980, Sampras-Becker, Masters final 1996, Agassi-Sampras, Australian Open semi 2000, Safin-Federer, Australian Open semi 2005, Nadal-Federer, Rome final 2006. Best performances, as opposed to matches, would be McEnroe-Connors, Wimbledon final 1984, Sampras-Agassi, Wimbledon final 1999, Federer-Hewitt, U.S. Open final 2004.

thrust
10-26-2009, 12:31 AM
Oh my god- I was spilling my guts all over the living room floor during that match. It was gut-wrenching, and I respect your choice of match for the fight both players showed, but to me it was like watching a Graf/Sanchez-Vicario match. The difference between watching a player who likes to play to win versus a player who goes out there and plays not to lose. The punching dictator versus the counter-punching pusher. Sampras played another very similar match to this one at the open versus Jaime Yzaga where he had a complete mental and physical collapse, and the backboard retriever just hung in there for the kill. This style of match-up is as old as tennis. One similar match-up that had epic proportions was Hoad/Rosewall. It made for some spectacular drama at times, but you knew if Hoad was on his game, "muscles" may well have just stayed home that day.

The fact is though, muscles was on his game more than Hoad was.

thrust
12-14-2009, 10:52 PM

tennisthing

Older, like me, would probably say Rosewall over Laver at the WCT final in Dallas, 1972

buxaderas
05-26-2010, 09:45 PM
Borg vs Mc at Wimbledon 1980 for drama and mc Vs Jimbo at 84 US open for the quality of the strokemaking

BK 201
07-01-2010, 10:57 AM
Safin v Federer. AO 2005 SF.

Best match i have seen. Made the Wimbledon 2008 final (in terms of quality and shotmaking) look poor. And this was prime Federer too, not 08+ who shanks forehands etc.

cocoh54
09-10-2010, 09:23 AM
Mcenroe v Connors on US-Open

WilliamWallace
10-06-2010, 02:32 PM
Agreed. So many people rave about their 01 US Open QF, but 00 Oz Open was even better quality overall!

WilliamWallace
10-06-2010, 03:09 PM
Worth getting this one going again... Always subjective, but anyone who watched these matches will know how truly great they were:
89 French Open Chang v Lendl (greatest comeback in tennis history considering how invincible Lendl seemed at the time)
89 Davis Cup Becker v Agassi (still the greatest Davis Cup match I've ever seen. Andre in red-hot form, but still unable to close it out against the German hero)
91 US Open Connors v Krickstein (Connors 39 years old, 'nuff said)
92 Brussels Becker v Courier (despite a falling ranking and an opponent in superior form, once again BB simply refused to lose)
93 Grand Slam Cup Korda v Stich (Korda outlasts world no. 2 Stich 11-9 in the fifth, a day after beating Sampras in another epic)
95 Oz Open Sampras v Courier (tremendous quality from both players over the entire 5 sets)
99 French Open Agassi v Medvedev (impossible comeback from Andre considering his tortured history at Roland Garros)
00 Oz Open Agassi v Sampras (their greatest match ever. If Pete wasn't injured in the fifth, might have been one of the greatest of all time)
02 US Open Agassi v Hewitt (just no way Andre should have won this. Lleyton was younger, faster, and better all round at the time. Yet Andre found a way to turn back the clock... again)
05 Oz open Safin v Federer (Fed in the form of his life, still Marat came out on top. V.high quality match)
06 US Open Agassi v Baghdatis ( a 36 year-old Andre beats the world no. 8 7-5 in the fifth in his final tourney. Simply amazing)

Stephan
11-08-2010, 01:57 AM
Worth getting this one going again... Always subjective, but anyone who watched these matches will know how truly great they were:
89 French Open Chang v Lendl (greatest comeback in tennis history considering how invincible Lendl seemed at the time)
89 Davis Cup Becker v Agassi (still the greatest Davis Cup match I've ever seen. Andre in red-hot -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
06 US Open Agassi v Baghdatis ( a 36 year-old Andre beats the world no. 8 7-5 in the fifth in his final tourney. Simply amazing)

Thanks WilliamWallace,
almost all of choosen by you best matches are with Andre Agassi and his amazing tennis :)
I am also fan of Andre ;)

----
One of the best matches i have seen is that with two of my most favorites:
Masters Cup Houston 2003, RR, Andre Agassi vs David Nalbandian

guys you can dowload this video and watch it :
http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=139161&page=5

sixthset
11-18-2010, 05:22 PM
Becker v Sampras Hannover 96..Simply because of the Rocky intro song they played when the two of them were entering the court!

dombrfc
12-08-2010, 12:20 PM
Federer v Safin - 2005 Aussie Open semifinal

trivfun
12-25-2010, 07:31 AM
I like the 1988 U.S. Open final between Mats Wilander and Ivan Lendl. They kept saying that a Swede can't win in New York but Mats did in a 5 set drama.