How important is good sportsmanship for you? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

How important is good sportsmanship for you?

August
04-08-2013, 02:12 AM
How important is good sportsmanship for you?

I really appreciate players showing good sportsmanship. Win-at-all-costs attitude shows lack of respect for the game. As a fan of the game I just can't stand that. The better player deserves to win, not the bigger cheater. If you're losing, you need to raise up your game, not to distract your opponent. And I really appreciate when players e.g. correct line calls, you know then that they care about the game, not only about themselves.

Motoflou
04-08-2013, 02:15 AM
Serena wutttt? hehe

out_here_grindin
04-08-2013, 02:15 AM
I think players should use good sportsmanship. Certainly cheating is not admirable. However be careful to not lapse into being too nice because then players will steamroll over you.

sportstennis
04-08-2013, 02:16 AM
usual gamesmanship.

when lose, always injury. no?

Motoflou
04-08-2013, 02:16 AM
However be careful to not lapse into being too nice because then players will steamroll over you.

Speak with your racquet, I say.

nolesfan2011
04-08-2013, 02:21 AM
To me it is really important, a player can be fiery and have winning instinct and be serious and all that stuff without being a poor sport and I pick up a lot on that stuff.. I generally tend to dislike players that show disrespect and have a poor attitude and tend to like the players that keep a respectful attitude and try to follow the rules of the game and be courteous and such.

Tennis is a game of honor and should be conducted as such, not by screaming at linesjudges and throwing your racquet and such

August
04-08-2013, 02:24 AM
Speak with your racquet, I say.
Exactly. You can upset your opponent with horrible gamesmanship but you can upset your opponent with some amazing playing.

Tiebreak100
04-08-2013, 02:28 AM
Win at all costs for me, although fake medical breaks and toilet visits irritate the hell out of me.

156mphserve
04-08-2013, 02:29 AM
I think a bit inbetween.

You shouldn't be trying to cheat, taking medical timeouts when you're not injured, and the such.

However I think it's the job of the umpires and such to make the correct calls. If a ball is called out and you know it was in so? It's their job to call it in not yours.

You never see the opponent go to the umpire in baseball and say no I think that was a strike, I should be strukeout not walked. Or the goalie say in hockey that puck was over the line, I saw it, it should be a goal.

You shouldn't be out there actively trying to get around the rules to your advantage but when an official messes up I don't see anything wrong with taking the lucky break and moving on.

Honestly
04-08-2013, 02:32 AM
I think a bit inbetween.

You shouldn't be trying to cheat, taking medical timeouts when you're not injured, and the such.

However I think it's the job of the umpires and such to make the correct calls. If a ball is called out and you know it was in so? It's their job to call it in not yours.

You never see the opponent go to the umpire in baseball and say no I think that was a strike, I should be strukeout not walked. Or the goalie say in hockey that puck was over the line, I saw it, it should be a goal.

You shouldn't be out there actively trying to get around the rules to your advantage but when an official messes up I don't see anything wrong with taking the lucky break and moving on.

/thread

Popo21
04-08-2013, 02:37 AM
I think the players need to respect the rules, the umpires and their opponents, but at the same time shouldn't be too friendly with the opponent. The olden days of McEnroe, Connors, Lendl, etc were so much more intense because the guys disliked each other so much they would fight til the end not to be the loser.

Kyle_Johansen
04-08-2013, 02:42 AM
I think sportsmanship is very important.

SheepleBuster
04-08-2013, 03:15 AM
As a famous person once said, you either win the whole thing or you are a loser. That still rings true today

Honestly
04-08-2013, 03:22 AM
As a famous person once said, you either win the whole thing or you are a loser. That still rings true today

What does the whole thing even mean? You can say Federer won the whole thing but he still suffered devastating losses to Nadal. There is no such thing as winning the whole thing, and therefor sportsmanship is important because that is how people will remember you.

abraxas21
04-08-2013, 03:48 AM
most people would choose the first option but in reality the second one applies for the majority.

one only needs to see the amount of nadal and djoko tards on this forum

DJ Soup
04-08-2013, 04:07 AM
Very important to me. A big reason why I root for Barça over Madrid (among many other reasons for instance, and why I hate Ronalda and Mou in particular). Also a relevant reason why I don't like Nadal.

SheepleBuster
04-08-2013, 04:45 AM
What does the whole thing even mean? You can say Federer won the whole thing but he still suffered devastating losses to Nadal. There is no such thing as winning the whole thing, and therefor sportsmanship is important because that is how people will remember you.

That's debatable to be honest. Do I like someone to win most of the time and be a gentleman? Well, as you and I know, only one person does that. The rest are injured when they lose.

Caesar1844
04-08-2013, 06:02 AM
Success will make most people turn a blind eye to bad sportsmanship. But successful players who are known for good sportsmanship are revered most of all.

Guys like Edberg, Rafter, Schrichipan are far more beloved than many players of similar achievements. The reason is their sportsmanship.

GSMnadal
04-08-2013, 09:34 AM
Just win, baby. Just win.

I like players, fighters that do everything to win the match.

Litotes
04-08-2013, 09:43 AM
Good sportsmanship is important to me. Myself, I'd rather lose than winning by breaking the rules. I don't expect that sort of attitude by professional athletes but I appreciate it if it comes along once in a while.

GSMnadal
04-08-2013, 10:02 AM
Good sportsmanship is important to me. Myself, I'd rather lose than winning by breaking the rules. I don't expect that sort of attitude by professional athletes but I appreciate it if it comes along once in a while.

Poor sportmanship is not necessarily about breaking rules though.

Do you have a problem with a player playing within the rules but staring the opponent down, not apologising netcords, cheering opponent's UEs etc. ?

Litotes
04-08-2013, 10:07 AM

Do you have a problem with a player playing within the rules but staring the opponent down, not apologising netcords, cheering opponent's UEs etc. ?

I don't have a problem with those, no.

atennisfan
04-08-2013, 10:10 AM
I choose the first option, that's why I prefer Federer over.. ahem.. certain players..

GSMnadal
04-08-2013, 10:30 AM
Very important to me. A big reason why I root for Barça over Madrid (among many other reasons for instance, and why I hate Ronalda and Mou in particular). Also a relevant reason why I don't like Nadal.

:lol:

http://i.cr3ation.co.uk/dl/s1/gif/a095b62ba601cdf2e9b5ff3d0e9c8069_biscuitsshakey.gi f

http://static1.businessinsider.com/image/512d217fecad04bb39000000/jordi-alba-dive.gif

http://i762.photobucket.com/albums/xx268/unamadridista/unamadridista5/2011-05-03-mascherano-01.gif

http://sillyseason.com/sites/default/files/u3/1353433302625.gif

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/002/147/098/SurroundingRef_display_image.jpg?1334810996

Tenn1sAdd1ct
04-08-2013, 10:35 AM
To me it´s highly appriciated. You don´t need to make up excuses every time you lose. Also if you are completely trashing your opponent, you don´t start a riot for one bad line call.

August
04-08-2013, 12:32 PM

Apologizing netcords belongs to tennis etiquette, if you don't do it, you're probably playing some mind games. And cheering opponents' UEs is some classless behaviour, I don't like seeing it. Tbh, I almost think it's worse if a player constantly does classless tricks than if you dope in a sport with doping problem. I'm not too angry at '90s cyclists who doped, doping was a necessity in cycling in those years. They didn't dope to get advantage, they doped to prevent others having an advantage. Classless tricks luckily aren't a necessity in tennis, but if you do them, you are trying to get unfair advantage over your opponent. And that applies to doping in clean sports where you should be able to succeed without doping.

Ben D.
04-08-2013, 01:43 PM
maybe the greatest example of sportsmanship in recent years...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcl1EtpMLJk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmOpUGCHg0E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAd31jU77no

He is the one who taught everything to Murray.

ogbg
04-08-2013, 02:04 PM
I appreciate when a player takes the initiative on something which the officials missed which is in their opponent's favour. On the other hand, I'm not too bothered about social/behavioural aspects.

HKz
04-08-2013, 02:06 PM
Pretty important. But it is just as important as having "assholes" as well. Adds to the variety and makes for great entertainment.

Topspindoctor
04-08-2013, 03:06 PM
Winning is everything.

Caesar1844
04-08-2013, 03:10 PM
Anyone who supports a Spanish football club is supporting a bunch of cheats. Diving, simulation, pressuring referees etc. is a way of life for teams in La Liga. Barca is no better than RM.

If sportsmanship was really that important you would support a team from a country with a healthier football culture.

Lopez
04-08-2013, 03:25 PM
Quite important. Time wasting, MTOs, cheering UEs, don't like them.

Stronga23
04-08-2013, 03:55 PM
Sportsmanship is very important to me. That's why I love Monfils because he always smiles and gives proper handshakes at the net.

bjurra
04-08-2013, 05:17 PM
I prefer a tour with mostly good sportsmanship, spiced up by adding a few arseholes.

Tag
04-09-2013, 12:09 AM
choking sets and matches doesn't count as good sportsmanship, unless you're swiss :shrug:

at least fake love awards provide opportunities for sycophants and fat slow clowns to shower praise and $$$$$?

but real sportsmen don't steal money from charities or rely on biased line-calls and favourable draws for slams :devil:

Gandalf
04-09-2013, 07:21 AM
Very important. I don't like cheaters in 'real' life, so why should I support them in tennis?

Ben D.
04-09-2013, 05:49 PM
Whining is everything.
:shout: the true words of a Nadal fan.