tomic following same path as federer [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

tomic following same path as federer

forehandluva
04-08-2013, 12:41 AM
if you look at the 2 players performances in grandlams for the first 5 years of their careers they are eerily similar at both wimbledon and the australian open. federers first 5 years look like this...

Australian open - Lost qualifying, 3rd round, 3rd round, 4th round, 4th round
French open - 1st round, 4th round, Quarter final, 1st round, 1st round
Wimbledon- 1st round, 1st round, quarterfinal, 1st round, Tournament win,
Us open Lost qualifying, 3rd round, 4th round, 4th round, 4th round,

and tomic first 5 look like this ....
Australian open - 2nd round, 2nd round, 3rd round, 4th round, 3rd round
French open - 1st round, missed, 1st round, 2nd round, ?????????
Wimbledon- 1st round, 1st round quarterfinal 1st round ?????????
Us open - missed, lost qualifying, 2nd round, 2nd round, ?????????

so tomic should win wimbledon this year by the evidence of this trend and if tomic wins wimbledon will it be that much of a suprise i think not.

sportstennis
04-08-2013, 01:03 AM
Tomic is not tennis player.

abraxas21
04-08-2013, 01:12 AM
even though tomic is one of the most talented players of the current era, he won't be as successful as federer.

still, i wouldn't be surprised if tomic reaches the world number 1 someday.

Kyle_Johansen
04-08-2013, 01:48 AM
No.

alioth
04-08-2013, 01:50 AM
so are we just waiting for the goat atomic to raise?

Honestly
04-08-2013, 01:51 AM
This is true. Tomic is past prime and in the twilight of his career.

Audacity
04-08-2013, 01:57 AM
:lol:

Sauletekis
04-08-2013, 01:57 AM
OOP is spot on...

SheepleBuster
04-08-2013, 02:09 AM
Wait, how are they similar? Federer's result were better in comparison to Tomic. Also, Tomic is not the player today that Federer was all those years ago. He can't move and has horrible attitude. No. Just no.

BauerAlmeida
04-08-2013, 02:42 AM
The other day I woke up and had a cup of coffee and some toasts. I heard Agassi did that a few times, I'm sure I'm following his path.

Kyle_Johansen
04-08-2013, 02:47 AM
Federer was better in 2001 and 2002 than Tomic is now.

forehandluva
04-08-2013, 03:06 AM
of course i dont really expect him to have half the career federer has had, however may i remind you federer achieved little to nothing before his slam at the age of 21 and tomic isnt 21 until after the us open, which puts things into perspective i think everyone shouldnt judge him just yet. and next year with a favourable draw he could reach the quarters at australia and wimbledon, mabye get into the worlds top 15. hes clearly the most likely out of his generation to achieve anything well at least i hope so.

MTwEeZi
04-08-2013, 03:14 AM
The other day I woke up and had a cup of coffee and some toasts. I heard Agassi did that a few times, I'm sure I'm following his path.

One day coffee.. next day meth.

Imperfect Angel
04-08-2013, 03:15 AM
Tomic still can't even do well in regular events.:lol: Federer had already shown some potential once he reached this stage.

Kyle_Johansen
04-08-2013, 03:20 AM
of course i dont really expect him to have half the career federer has had, however may i remind you federer achieved little to nothing before his slam at the age of 21 and tomic isnt 21 until after the us open, which puts things into perspective i think everyone shouldnt judge him just yet. and next year with a favourable draw he could reach the quarters at australia and wimbledon, mabye get into the worlds top 15. hes clearly the most likely out of his generation to achieve anything well at least i hope so.

Federer already had a Masters win and a Masters final by the time he won his first Slam. He had won 8 titles overall before Wimbledon 2003. Tomic has won 1.

Mark Lenders
04-08-2013, 03:22 AM

Iniesta grew up watching Captain Tsubasa and Mark Lenders is his favorite character.

http://chweb.info/images/778CR_229713_andres_inies.jpg

The signs are ominous, I will be scoring Portugal's World Cup winning goal in the World Cup 2022 for sure.

nellis_lv
04-08-2013, 03:37 AM
Tomic thinks you're setting the bar a tad low.

MTwEeZi
04-08-2013, 03:38 AM
Federer already had a Masters win and a Masters final by the time he won his first Slam. He had won 8 titles overall before Wimbledon 2003. Tomic has won 1.

This is a stronger era though.

Kyle_Johansen
04-08-2013, 03:41 AM
This is a stronger era though.

Debatable. It is harder for young guys to break through and the depth is not what it was 10 years ago.

NardDog
04-08-2013, 03:41 AM
Very insightful thread. I agree.

paseo
04-08-2013, 03:51 AM

Only 7 titles. Tomic can still catch up by Wimbledon. Let's see, barring a miracle, Tomic should win Monte-Carlo, Barcelona, Madrid, Rome, Nice, RG, and Halle. There you go. He's gonna have 8 titles before he wins Wimbledon. Just like The Mighty Federer.

The OP is really on to something, here. Great analytical work.

fedalrock
04-08-2013, 08:22 AM
Only 7 titles. Tomic can still catch up by Wimbledon. Let's see, barring a miracle, Tomic should win Monte-Carlo, Barcelona, Madrid, Rome, Nice, RG, and Halle. There you go. He's gonna have 8 titles before he wins Wimbledon. Just like The Mighty Federer.

The OP is really on to something, here. Great analytical work.

:worship: :haha:
Tomic is a mug who won't achieve anything unless he stops talking big and actually doing shit outside of Australia :wavey:

Sri
04-08-2013, 08:31 AM
Just because Fed was an under achiever until 2003 and then dominated the field doesn't mean all under achievers will end up dominating like Fed did.

However, Tomic is the goat.

Alex999
04-08-2013, 08:39 AM
sorry, but Fed and Tomic shouldn't be even mentioned in the same sentence :).

TigerTim
04-08-2013, 09:05 AM
:superlol:

Litotes
04-08-2013, 09:20 AM
Iniesta grew up watching Captain Tsubasa and Mark Lenders is his favorite character.

The signs are ominous, I will be scoring Portugal's World Cup winning goal in the World Cup 2022 for sure.

No, I think you'll score for Spain. Plenty of time for a nationality change. I bet Ferrer will cheer you from the stands ;)

r3d_d3v1l_
04-08-2013, 09:30 AM
Dunno why the grand slams are so relevant to Tomic´s path. What´s more importante in a youngster career is to build consistency and win some titles in the way.

How come he will win a Grand Slam, when has still won only one ATP title? Let alone a Masters?

Sombrerero loco
04-08-2013, 09:45 AM

:haha:

Ben D.
04-08-2013, 12:46 PM
so far, he is following the same path as Young.

Topspindoctor
04-08-2013, 02:09 PM
This thread :facepalm: Comparing a weaponless junkballer like Tomug to Nose is just ridiculous.

nole_no1
04-08-2013, 02:31 PM
So Tomic will win Wimbledon this year :superlol:

Timot
04-08-2013, 03:58 PM
As far as I wish young guns all the best, Tomic only won a single 250 event on home soil when there wasn't anyone from top 10. Hard to compare it to young Fed who managed to beat Sampras at Wimbledon as a teen.

forehandluva
04-08-2013, 04:14 PM
This thread :facepalm: Comparing a weaponless junkballer like Tomug to Nose is just ridiculous.

were comparing federer and tomic not federer and nadal. no seriously i dont expect him to do half the amount federer has but i bet everyone was saying similar things about federer not living up to his talent in 2003. im not talking wining grandlams i mean baby steps first like making it to the quarter finals of wimbledon and further than hes been in other slams previously.

PedroMarquess
04-08-2013, 04:28 PM
sorry, but Fed and Tomic shouldn't be even mentioned in the same sentence :).

This, who is this Federer guy to be in a sentence with the GOAT?

miura88
04-08-2013, 05:04 PM
Nah, Federer believed he was creating his own path, when in actuality it had existed long before his grandparents had even met, and that path he believed to be his own was forged long ago by Tomic.

Roy Emerson
04-08-2013, 05:36 PM
:spit:

70-68
04-08-2013, 05:37 PM
Would be bad for Tomic if he followed Federer's path. He is destined to win at least 30 slams, would be dissapointing if he ends up with only around 17.

Tag
04-08-2013, 11:06 PM
crying in front of legends and choking slam finals and SFs?

ignoring davis cup and smugly smiling for fake love for patriots?

bitchy pressers where he never gives credit or insults the opponent?

tennis is allowed, but only on criermug terms

ogre
04-09-2013, 12:04 AM
As a junior, Tomic's career was even more impressive than Federer's. Tomic showed the raw talent to become something like Federer. Unfortunately for tennis, Tomic never developed the work ethic. Celebrating his raw talent before he actually did anything with it he has not worked hard enough on his game. He became a player instead of a tennis player.

How many stories of Federer being arrested for speeding in a convertible Ferrari? Of continual problems with police until he loses his license? Stories of being out partying the night before a game?

That is the difference.

Even if Tomic does have the talent, he does not have the focus to prove it.

Orka_n
04-09-2013, 12:35 AM
As a junior, Tomic's career was even more impressive than Federer's. Tomic showed the raw talent to become something like Federer. Unfortunately for tennis, Tomic never developed the work ethic. Celebrating his raw talent before he actually did anything with it he has not worked hard enough on his game. He became a player instead of a tennis player.

How many stories of Federer being arrested for speeding in a convertible Ferrari? Of continual problems with police until he loses his license? Stories of being out partying the night before a game?

That is the difference.

Even if Tomic does have the talent, he does not have the focus to prove it.Federer was the junior #1 just like Tomic. And yes, Federer had better work ethic but he also possessed a LOT more natural potential with his graceful power and perhaps the sharpest footwork ever. THAT is actually the biggest difference between the two, not the mentality. Gamewise, Tomic is several leagues below even 2002 Fed.

That said, given how weak Tomic's generation is (even weaker than the current one), B-nard will probably rise to top 10 sooner or later.

heya
04-09-2013, 12:41 AM
My heart's bleeding for Tomic. Disgraceful to not bow down to Fed's loincloth. How unintellectual of this loser to not become Federer. Luckily, the weak era supermodel of longevity, graciousness, charity, resilience, patience, unconditional love for Fed & honesty- the anti-drug, crime fighter, underrated player & funny man of integrity Roddick beat Tomic. That makes 1 boo boo owwee go away.

Mr. Oracle
04-09-2013, 12:55 AM
Federer had better work ethic but he also possessed a LOT more natural potential with his graceful power

I beg you, in the name of all things masculine, to find another adjective. :facepalm:

DJ Soup
04-09-2013, 01:09 AM
Fed had the New Balls Gen making things 'difficult' for him.

Tomic has the No Balls Gen around him.

Asadinator
04-09-2013, 01:10 AM
Federer was the junior #1 just like Tomic. And yes, Federer had better work ethic but he also possessed a LOT more natural potential with his graceful power and perhaps the sharpest footwork ever. THAT is actually the biggest difference between the two, not the mentality. Gamewise, Tomic is several leagues below even 2002 Fed.

That said, given how weak Tomic's generation is (even weaker than the current one), B-nard will probably rise to top 10 sooner or later.

Federer's footwork wasn't sharp when he was young. It was average. He had much heavier footwork in his teens and he used to slide when changing direction.

That is the biggest area of his game he improved the following year after he won Wimbledon. His energy on court suddenly increased heaps. It was definitely due to working much harder on his fitness.

ogre
04-09-2013, 04:04 AM
Federer's footwork wasn't sharp when he was young. It was average. He had much heavier footwork in his teens and he used to slide when changing direction.

That is the biggest area of his game he improved the following year after he won Wimbledon. His energy on court suddenly increased heaps. It was definitely due to working much harder on his fitness.

Yes, and Federer won one orange bowl as a Junior - not three like Tomic did. But Federer kept improving and working. Tomic has not worked as hard since being a junior. Juniors do no win...thy just demonstrate talent that if nurtured can really become something. Federer kept nurturing, Tomic has not. Partying does not make a player like Federer - practice does.

Tomic has probably already lost too much valuable development time to ever reach what would have been his potential. Did he one day have the potential to be a Federer? Who knows, what is for sure is now he does not have that potential any more.

Asadinator
04-09-2013, 05:05 AM
Tomic has improved his movement a lot since I first saw him in 2009 though :p

Back then he wouldn't even bother chasing balls if it was just a bit wide of him:

http://25.media.tumblr.com/7eaf25b2dd9adb42eeaa0a3dba881b26/tumblr_mkyb69ahIY1r3ifxzo1_500.gif

BackhandDTL
04-09-2013, 05:09 AM
Tomic has improved his movement a lot since I first saw him in 2009 though :p

Back then he wouldn't even bother chasing balls if it was just a bit wide of him:

http://25.media.tumblr.com/7eaf25b2dd9adb42eeaa0a3dba881b26/tumblr_mkyb69ahIY1r3ifxzo1_500.gif

Fuck the rep limit. This post is amazing.

Daria :yeah:

dencod16
04-09-2013, 05:43 AM
Well he has the arrogant and self-centered part down, so he is half-way there.

heya
04-09-2013, 06:05 AM
:rolls: Fed is unmatched. 20 year old olderer couldn't reach olderer's current arrogant snide self. According to Fed fans, he was old & declining at age 26.

Orka_n
04-09-2013, 05:32 PM
Yes, and Federer won one orange bowl as a Junior - not three like Tomic did. But Federer kept improving and working. Tomic has not worked as hard since being a junior. Juniors do no win...thy just demonstrate talent that if nurtured can really become something. Federer kept nurturing, Tomic has not. Partying does not make a player like Federer - practice does.

Tomic has probably already lost too much valuable development time to ever reach what would have been his potential. Did he one day have the potential to be a Federer? Who knows, what is for sure is now he does not have that potential any more.What? You are overrating Tomic. There are loads of players that are successful as juniors but don't make it big as seniors, and it does not always have to do with work ethic. They just stop evolving after a while. Tomic lacks Federer's natural touch, balance and most important in this era: speed and footwork. It is pointless to compare the two of them.

Sport brain
04-14-2013, 10:02 AM
No way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tomic's problem is in his education. Being cocooned in his homeland by chauvinists journalists and fans, he's just happy to be called a future no.1. without doing the hard work. Why should he? He can send the ball back to Federer and Nole, so by extrapolating, he will be the top player in less than a year. In the meantime, he's partying, having fights with friends when actually real professionals are in bed and not touching any alcool.
And here in Oz, nobody raise an eyebrow, it is the culture for sport professionals to party with lots of alcool and even drugs. AFL players are regularly making news with their antics in almost a daily basis. Anyone heard about Ben Cousins?
And Federer, or any other top players, have never trumpeted they will reach the top 10 when they were young...
A little bit of humility wouldn't hurt Bernie...

Alex999
04-14-2013, 01:08 PM
Young Fed used to have some tantrums but everyone saw his talent. Everyone (tennis experts and pro players) was talking about his talent and everyone loved watching his game. Once when Fed had overcame his nerves, he started winning everything left and right.
Fed was very serious about his 'job'.

As much as I joke about Tomic being silly and stupid I wish him luck. I just don't think he has that champion mentality. I don't think he is dedicated enough. I still think he is a spoiled brat and he'll get nowhere unless he changes his attitude and mature. not so sure about that but we'll see.

Time Violation
04-14-2013, 04:02 PM
Tomic shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence with Federer, unless it's Federer d. Tomic

star
04-14-2013, 04:16 PM
I beg you, in the name of all things masculine, to find another adjective. :facepalm:

:scratch: women don't think it's a bad thing for a man to be graceful either in movement or manners, I can't think why you think grace is not masculine. One of the most he-man writers of the 20th century wrote, "the definition of courage is grace under fire." People often describe boxers as being graceful. Ali, for example,

Embrace the feminine. It only enhances masculinity, :hug:

Honestly
04-14-2013, 04:22 PM
This is true. Tomic is past prime and in the twilight of his career.

:haha: