GB come from 2 rubbers down, sink Russia 3-2 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

GB come from 2 rubbers down, sink Russia 3-2

Dangermouse
04-07-2013, 07:11 PM
Brilliant comeback

Andy Murray has said he will play in September so GB will be in the world group next year

Certinfy
04-07-2013, 07:11 PM
Take a bow you fucking lads. :worship:

DanaKz
04-07-2013, 07:13 PM
Well, colour me surprised. I didn't believe in Evo at all. Hmmm, he didn't choke - that's new.

CooCooCachoo
04-07-2013, 07:13 PM
Spirited performance from Evans. Played really well, although Donskoy was lackluster. This performance alone should land him his third Wimbledon WC.

Tarpischev should be slapped in the face for selecting Baluda and playing him in doubles. He has an inflated ranking and a series of piss-poor performances this year.

Dangermouse
04-07-2013, 07:14 PM
The only upsetting thing is either Ward or Evans will need to be dropped.

DanaKz
04-07-2013, 07:14 PM
first 0-2 comeback since 1930
Seriously?

GSMnadal
04-07-2013, 07:15 PM
You proved me wrong team GB, well done. Russia should be ashamed though

156mphserve
Brilliant comeback

Andy Murray has said he will play in September so GB will be in the world group next year

you're basically gurenteeing they'll beat anyone is WG playoffs? lol

Germany, and Spain can both beat GBR.

against a lot of opponents they'll likely need Murray x2, and Doubles, and there are a lot of good doubles teams out there that can beat Fleming/Marray.

Congrats on the epic comeback, but I wouldn't get excited about a WG spot just yet.

ProdigyEng
Get The Fuck In!

Brit Tennis Fan
04-07-2013, 07:16 PM
Oh Dan, you absolute hero :worship:

Seriously?

Yes

PorkBarrel
04-07-2013, 07:17 PM
Evo! :worship:

Donskoy couldn't cope with Evo's variety or willingness to come to the net.

Delighted to be proved wrong :D

TigerTim
04-07-2013, 07:17 PM
Brilliant. Put the name on it, GB 2014 Davis Cup champions :woohoo:

(but seriously Murray+Marray = god duo)

156mphserve
04-07-2013, 07:18 PM
pretty much everyone who lost in world group this year except maybe Belgium, and Israel can beat GBR ;)

ProdigyEng

against a lot of opponents they'll likely need Murray x2, and Doubles, and there are a lot of good doubles teams out there that can beat Fleming/Marray.

Congrats on the epic comeback, but I wouldn't get excited about a WG spot just yet.

So can Switzerland.

CooCooCachoo
Evo! :worship:

Donskoy couldn't cope with Evo's variety or willingness to come to the net.

Delighted to be proved wrong :D

Donskoy, who can play well indoors, had no Plan B at all and was content with being pushed around. This is also largely Tarpischev's responsibility though. Poorest coach of this DC weekend :help:

seljanin
Ugh... how did Russia let this one slip away? :facepalm: I haven't read any Russian press at all this week, and I how no idea, how they selected the squad, but from what I see here, I think the biggest mistake was taking Baluda and forming up this clown pairing Baluda/Kunitsyn. I mean, they could give a walkover in doubles or let Tarpischev play, and it would have been the same result. If Russia had noone else to pick, why didn't they take at least Kravchuk, who can at least play doubles unlike those two mugs.

Fantastic performance by Dan. Completely outclassed Donskoy today and didn't even put himself in a position for choking. Great and well-deserved comeback by Great Britain.

rocketassist
Bravo :hatoff:

Be interesting to see what the WG playoff draw is for the guys. Switzerland would be at home, imagine Murray vs Federer at Wimbledon for a third different competition. :lol:

Moozza
04-07-2013, 07:20 PM

No there's not.

Great effort from Ward and Evans, with Slamray back in September it will be tough to drop one of these guys but GB will be almost certain to go through.

CooCooCachoo
Ugh... how did Russia let this one slip away? :facepalm: I haven't read any Russian press at all this week, and I how no idea, how they selected the squad, but from what I see here, I think the biggest mistake was taking Baluda and forming up this clown pairing Baluda/Kunitsyn. I mean, they could give a walkover in doubles or let Tarpischev play, and it would have been the same result. If Russia had noone else to pick, why didn't they take at least Kravchuk, who can at least play doubles unlike those two mugs.

Fantastic performance by Dan. Completely outclassed Donskoy today and didn't even put himself in a position for choking. Great and well-deserved comeback by Great Britain.

I would like to know whether Elgin was invited to play or not. It makes absolutely zero sense to have Baluda on the team, both in singles and in doubles. Kunitsyn I understand somewhat, since he has experience and is good indoors, but he has also been in a protracted slump. Kravchuk might have been a better choice, although I don't think Russia would have stood a chance in doubles with him.

motorhead
Amazing from Evans. As someone already said GB could well be a title contender with Murray in the team. Evans confirms his status of 5th rubber king.
No doubt GB will be back in the world group after september.

Tiebreak100
04-07-2013, 07:22 PM
Great result from the boys. Nice to see the English boys step up for a change :). With oor Andy back form the September tie, promotion is a certainty. Maybe a strong British team is what the Davis Cup needs to relight the spark.

Dangermouse
04-07-2013, 07:23 PM
To stop you guys there,

Murray will win both his rubbers and some combination on Murray/Murray/Marray/Fleming/Skupski will win the doubles

Tempted to stick a tenner on us winning the WG next year.

seljanin
04-07-2013, 07:25 PM
I would like to know whether Elgin was invited to play or not. It makes absolutely zero sense to have Baluda on the team, both in singles and in doubles. Kunitsyn I understand somewhat, since he has experience and is good indoors, but he has also been in a protracted slump. Kravchuk might have been a better choice, although I don't think Russia would have stood a chance in doubles with him.

Well, I think that Kravchuk in doubles would have probably increased the chance from 0% to only 10%, but at least it would have given some options. I forgot about Elgin actually, he would have also been a better choice. Anyhow, it is understandable that the idea was to give Tursunov and Donskoy a day's rest with selecting No 3 and No 4 for the doubles match, but I still think Russia could have done a better job there in their selection of players.

Sombrerero loco
04-07-2013, 07:25 PM
wow, amazing :bowdown:

Tiebreak100
04-07-2013, 07:26 PM
pretty much everyone who lost in world group this year except maybe Belgium, and Israel can beat GBR ;)
Look where Canada are at the moment, and you have zero quality. A decent servebot I grant you, but like in most sports that matter, your country is useless.

TigerTim
04-07-2013, 07:28 PM
Serbia and Spain are a cut above ATM, the Frenchies and Switzerland (if old man plays) too. Aside from that there isn't much strength out there.

156mphserve
04-07-2013, 07:29 PM
No there's not.

Great effort from Ward and Evans, with Slamray back in September it will be tough to drop one of these guys but GB will be almost certain to go through.

To stop you guys there,

Murray will win both his rubbers and some combination on Murray/Murray/Marray/Fleming/Skupski will win the doubles

Tempted to stick a tenner on us winning the WG next year.

Lopez/Granollers, Melo/Soares, Kas/Kohlschreiber, Peya/Knowle, Cabal/Farah, Hewitt/Gooch, Fyrstenberg/Matkowski, Haase/Rojer, and then against Switzerland Fed can beat Murray so they don't need doubles.

That's 9 teams that can beat them because doubles will be favoured to GBR's opponent, or it will be a toss up.

Don't get overconfident yet.

Rick Rude
04-07-2013, 07:32 PM
Let's see if I have this right...........

Switzerland, Germany - Home
Brazil - Lots
Spain, Croatia, Belgium, Israel, Austria - Away

156mphserve
04-07-2013, 07:33 PM
Look where Canada are at the moment, and you have zero quality. A decent servebot I grant you, but like in most sports that matter, your country is useless.

A lot of that is because we got lucky with the draw. Got Israel, and South Africa in the playoffs last 2 years.

Then we got Spain who didn't bring anyone, and Italy.

If we drew tougher teams there's a chance we could still have been in group 1. That's what's happened to Australia last 2 years when they got Switzerland, and Germany.

1 good singles player and a decent doubles team does not a team make. You're putting a lot of pressure on your doubles team when there are a lot of similar teams out there.

jmjhb
Hopefully Evo and Wardy can use this win to really push on this season.

rocketassist
Austria away will bring back memories of that crazy 2004 tie in Portschach when Stefan Koubek was the hero.

ProdigyEng
04-07-2013, 07:34 PM
Lopez/Granollers, Melo/Soares, Kas/Kohlschreiber, Peya/Knowle, Cabal/Farah, Hewitt/Gooch, Fyrstenberg/Matkowski, Haase/Rojer, and then against Switzerland Fed can beat Murray so they don't need doubles.

That's 9 teams that can beat them because doubles will be favoured to GBR's opponent, or it will be a toss up.

Federer can beat Murray SOMETIMES.

PiggyGotRoasted
04-07-2013, 07:35 PM

I would put GB favourite (Not on clay) over Lopez/Granollers, Cabal/Farah, Hewitt/Gooch, Melo/Soares and Haase/Rojer and 50/50 with Peya/Knowle and the Germans.

Tiebreak100
04-07-2013, 07:35 PM
A lot of that is because we got lucky with the draw. Got Israel, and South Africa in the playoffs last 2 years.

Then we got Spain who didn't bring anyone, and Italy.

If we drew tougher teams there's a chance we could still have been in group 1. That's what's happened to Australia last 2 years when they got Switzerland, and Germany.

1 good singles player and a decent doubles team does not a team make. You're putting a lot of pressure on your doubles team when there are a lot of similar teams out there.

fair comments.

pesto
04-07-2013, 07:36 PM
Phenomenal job by the lads. I didn't think they stood a chance without AM.

nole_no1
04-07-2013, 07:38 PM
I had a small bet on GB to advance from thursday as i thought Ward would beat Donskoy, doubles easy and a victory today but after friday i've lost all my hope :eek: Congrats !

motorhead
04-07-2013, 07:39 PM
GB can be at par level with Serbia

Murray=DJ
Ward>Troicki
Murray/Marray>Zimonjic/Bozoljac

and is a far superior team than Switzerland

AdeyC
04-07-2013, 07:39 PM
Wow - never saw that coming

156mphserve
04-07-2013, 07:40 PM
Federer can beat Murray SOMETIMES.

True, I said, he can, I didn't say he will.

Dude was basically guarenteeing that GBR will be in world group. If they draw the Swiss that might not happen cause Fed might beat Murray.

I would put GB favourite (Not on clay) over Lopez/Granollers, Cabal/Farah, Hewitt/Gooch, Melo/Soares and Haase/Rojer and 50/50 with Peya/Knowle and the Germans.

They can beat Lopez/Granollers, and could still lose if Rafa plays. Also that's the #2 doubles team in the world, it's a toss up at best for GBR if it's on hard.

Melo/Soares would be favorites on clay imo.

Hewitt/Gooch are a deadly DC team, you would be favorites but they can beat you.

I'll give you the rest, but my point being that there are teams out there that can beat GBR in doubles, and can beat GBR in the tie even without getting the points from the 2 Murray matches.

Don't count your chickens before they hatch.

motorhead
I had a small bet on GB to advance from thursday as i thought Ward would beat Donskoy, doubles easy and a victory today but after friday i've lost all my hope :eek: Congrats !

what were GB's odds to advance? I didn't pay much attention to G1 this week.

nole_no1

Murray=DJ
Ward>Troicki

You're joking right? :lol: And Troicki isn't Serbia's 2nd man. It's Janko but he didn't play this week so... no

Also try to not underestimate Serbia's doubles

what were GB's odds to advance? I didn't pay much attention to G1 this week.

I don't know other bookies but at my local bookie i had them @7.00. After friday i think the odds were absolutely huge idk

AnnaK_4ever
04-07-2013, 07:42 PM

Tarpischev made it very clear that doubles is a lost cause for Russia, nobody here ever thought about trying to win it. Tarpischev relied on Tursunov clinching both his rubbers and Donskoy stealing a win somewhere -- that was the only possible option for the team.
As for Baluda he is considered a future star in Russia. Based on what? I have absolutely no idea. He's slow as f*ck, clumsy, has a weak forehand and a harmless serve. Nevertheless, he seems to be the best we've got in his age group.

niff
04-07-2013, 07:43 PM
Russia :lol:

rocketassist
04-07-2013, 07:45 PM
Leon Smith is doing a cracking job with the squad too. Considering his pool of players available for selection he's getting them to rise to the occasion, when in the past GB players would freeze on this stage (the Big Three aside of course)

156mphserve
04-07-2013, 07:45 PM

Murray=DJ
Ward>Troicki

They don't have a reliable 2nd player.

Serbia has Tipsarevic(not this tie), Swiss have Wawrinka.

Against a decent team who has a couple of top 100 players GBR would likely need both Murray rubbers(if he plays) and the doubles.

They're similar to Canada in that regard with Murray being better than Milos, and Canada probably having a very slight advantage in the other 2 regards.

We're probably not going to contend for the title until we get a better 2nd player.

I also could have included Israel with Erlich/Ram but I wasn't sure about Sela/Weintraub beating GBR #2 so even with doubles they might not win.

don't get me wrong. I like GBR's chances of winning to get to WG, and I want them there instead of these phantom teams like Israel, and Belgium, but it's far from a guarentee.

motorhead
04-07-2013, 07:46 PM
I don't know other bookies but at my local bookie i had them @7.00. After friday i think the odds were absolutely huge idk

that's a huge price! you got a good price compared to some bookies http://www.oddsportal.com/tennis/world/atp-davis-cup-group-i-teams-2013/great-britain-russia-1614702/

NJ88
04-07-2013, 07:47 PM
Really good comeback from GB. I didn't believe Ward and Evans would pull it off but they proved me wrong. They should win the next one with Murray too, so onwards and upwards!

Horatio Caine
04-07-2013, 07:48 PM
That is BEYOND unbelievable!

Ward and Evans should have been very proud of their efforts on Friday, but to come out and each win today was fantastic! The tie was effectively dead at 0-2 - really seemed a bit optimistic for Ward to beat Tursunov, although Donskoy was definitely beatable in both rubbers. Great job by Fleming and Marray yesterday - they were merciless.

Huge credit has to go to Leon Smith for shaping this team into the one it is today. Our players were wimps a few years ago, and the trip down to Group II actually did them the power of good - winning a match of any description feels good. They had nothing to lose against Slovak Republic or Belgium, and produced brilliant performances in those ties. This one against Russia built on that further. Outstanding!

Obviously also a mention for Ross Hutchins. From press reports, it appears that he played a major part in shaping strategy for this weekend. Rough that Baker was dropped mid-week, but what a decision! Gutsy to trust Evans, considering how he has been mired in the Futures circuit, but he is unquestionably Britain's best player behind Murray, and he has proved his worth yet again in the bigger matches.

As for Russia, their mood surprised me. Tarpischev could have been sitting in a deckchair on a beach. He didn't seem to inspire his players at all. A few years back, he was a really good tactician in the World Group ties. The last couple of years, some of his selections have been quite odd. This is possibly his worst result as captain, and I guess maybe the time has come for a new team leader.

seljanin
04-07-2013, 07:50 PM
Tarpischev made it very clear that doubles is a lost cause for Russia, nobody here ever thought about trying to win it. Tarpischev relied on Tursunov clinching both his rubbers and Donskoy stealing a win somewhere -- that was the only possible option for the team.
As for Baluda he is considered a future star in Russia. Based on what? I had absolutely no idea. He's slow as f*ck, clumsy, has a weak forehand and a harmless serve. Nevertheless, he seems to be the best we've got in his age group.

Thanks for the explanation :yeah: Kinda makes sense, but agree about Baluda. I have seen him a couple of times, and how can he be considered a future star is beyond me.

As I understand, Youzhny and Davydenko decided to skip this tie. What about Andrey Kuznetsov? Injured? Bogomolov also skipping/injured, I guess? Then Russia really didn't have lot of options, in that case Kunitsyn was a reasonable choice, but Baluda... oh, well.

CooCooCachoo
04-07-2013, 07:52 PM
As for Baluda he is considered a future star in Russia. Based on what? I have absolutely no idea. He's slow as f*ck, clumsy, has a weak forehand and a harmless serve. Nevertheless, he seems to be the best we've got in his age group.

That is a problem though: Russia actually could be in it in doubles. Elgin/Tursunov would have been a good team (although I understand that after his first match Tursunov would not have been able to play, but you can't foresee that in team selection). Heck, even Elgin/Kudryavtsev would have put up more of a fight.

Baluda's last two matches: losses to Aslan Karatsev and Vladimir Ivanov. That guy should not be on the team when you have Elgin, Kravchuk, Gabashvili, Bogomolov, Kuznetsov (although I guess the latter two might have declined).

Nixer
04-07-2013, 07:57 PM
As for Russia, their mood surprised me. Tarpischev could have been sitting in a deckchair on a beach. He didn't seem to inspire his players at all. A few years back, he was a really good tactician in the World Group ties. The last couple of years, some of his selections have been quite odd. This is possibly his worst result as captain, and I guess maybe the time has come for a new team leader.

He's always sitting like that doing nothing. As for good tactician, IMO it was due to luck and some unexpectedly good and dramatic matches by players.

Horatio Caine
04-07-2013, 08:02 PM
To answer the debate on WG qualifying and WG itself:

It is crazy to say that GBR are 'guaranteed' a place in the World Group 2014, but the odds are definitely in their favour in September, assuming that Murray does indeed play.

The losers in WG R1 this year were Spain, Croatia, Belgium, Brazil, Israel, Germany, Austria and Switzerland.

Murray would put GBR 2-0 up against Belgium, Israel, Germany and Austria. Out of those, Germany is the only team where I'd be slightly concerned about winning a third point.

Murray would probably earn GBR a 2-0 lead against Croatia, Brazil and Switzerland, although their #1 players could be very tricky in the right conditions. Doubles chances are good against Croatia and Switzerland; very tough against Brazil though. Croatia and Brazil #2s beatable in other singles matches.

Spain would be the worst draw possible, and fate does work in mysterious ways unfortunately. :lol: That is possibly the only tie out of those 8 where GBR would start as an underdog.

156mphserve
04-07-2013, 08:07 PM
To answer the debate on WG qualifying and WG itself:

It is crazy to say that GBR are 'guaranteed' a place in the World Group 2014, but the odds are definitely in their favour in September, assuming that Murray does indeed play.

The losers in WG R1 this year were Spain, Croatia, Belgium, Brazil, Israel, Germany, Austria and Switzerland.

Murray would put GBR 2-0 up against Belgium, Israel, Germany and Austria. Out of those, Germany is the only team where I'd be slightly concerned about winning a third point.

Murray would probably earn GBR a 2-0 lead against Croatia, Brazil and Switzerland, although their #1 players could be very tricky in the right conditions. Doubles chances are good against Croatia and Switzerland; very tough against Brazil though. Croatia and Brazil #2s beatable in other singles matches.

Spain would be the worst draw possible, and fate does work in mysterious ways unfortunately. :lol: That is possibly the only tie out of those 8 where GBR would start as an underdog.

don't worry about drawing Spain, Australia will draw them.

Also they could draw a team who were in group 1. It all depends on seeds, top 8 seeds will each play a bottom 8 seed team. Most of these are WG loser vs. group 1 promote, but there might be a team or 2 from the promotes who will be seeds.

AnnaK_4ever
04-07-2013, 08:10 PM
That is a problem though: Russia actually could be in it in doubles. Elgin/Tursunov would have been a good team (although I understand that after his first match Tursunov would not have been able to play, but you can't foresee that in team selection). Heck, even Elgin/Kudryavtsev would have put up more of a fight.

Baluda's last two matches: losses to Aslan Karatsev and Vladimir Ivanov. That guy should not be on the team when you have Elgin, Kravchuk, Gabashvili, Bogomolov, Kuznetsov (although I guess the latter two might have declined).

Tursunov would've been in for doubles ONLY if RUS and GB had splitted rubbers on Friday or RUS had lost both of them. Mitya is not fit enough to play best of 5 three days in a row. As it turned out to be, even one five-setter was too much for him.

Re: Elgin, Kravchuk and others. There is a strategic decision to overhaul Russian DC team by bringing in guys under 23. The likes of Donskoy and Kuznetsov, according to Tarpischev, should replace the generation of Safin/Davydenko/Youzhny/Tursunov. Elgin, Kravchuk, Kudryavtsev are too old and thus being deliberately overlooked in the process.

Brit Tennis Fan
04-07-2013, 08:18 PM
Also they could draw a team who were in group 1. It all depends on seeds, top 8 seeds will each play a bottom 8 seed team. Most of these are WG loser vs. group 1 promote, but there might be a team or 2 from the promotes who will be seeds.

This looks unlikely. Before this weekend's matches there was a gap of over 300 points between the lowest ranked WG loser (Belguim) and the highest group 1 promoted team (Australia).

CooCooCachoo
04-07-2013, 08:22 PM
Tursunov would've been in for doubles ONLY if RUS and GB had splitted rubbers on Friday or RUS had lost both of them. Mitya is not fit enough to play best of 5 three days in a row. As it turned out to be, even one five-setter was too much for him.

Re: Elgin, Kravchuk and others. There is a strategic decision to overhaul Russian DC team by bringing in guys under 23. The likes of Donskoy and Kuznetsov, according to Tarpischev, should replace the generation of Safin/Davydenko/Youzhny/Tursunov. Elgin, Kravchuk, Kudryavtsev are too old and thus being deliberately overlooked in the process.

That bodes well for Russia's future in the Davis Cup :sobbing: :tape:

156mphserve
04-07-2013, 08:30 PM
This looks unlikely. Before this weekend's matches there was a gap of over 300 points between the lowest ranked WG loser (Belguim) and the highest group 1 promoted team (Australia).

and you get 600 points for winning a round 2 group 1 tie.

Also those who lose round 1 in WG often lose points now because 25% of their points from this round last year drop off and Belgium won round 2 in group 1 last year.

25% drop from that round for each year prior as well(25% drops after every year until all points are gone in 4 years)

It's very possible that someone jumps them, last September before the WG playoffs the 16 teams that made the WG this year were all spread out in the rankings, some in the 20's. Once the playoffs were over and the new rankings came out all 16 teams were top 16. Rankings can change very quickly, 300 points is almost nothing.

Hypnotize
04-07-2013, 08:34 PM
Evans was the far better player and deserved to win. Donskoy must be the most passive player in the top 100 and seems incapable of hitting through the ball. As I said in his last match, all his shots sit up asking to be smacked and Evans was more than willing to do so. It's a shame Evans has such a poor attitude and work ethic because he can play some good tennis.

MuzzahLovah
04-07-2013, 08:40 PM
wow!

Zenjo
04-07-2013, 08:43 PM
Did this actually just happen?

Two perfect 'Plucky Brit' performances on Friday and then they go and ruin it by doing this. :(

TigerTim
I want GB vs anyone (Spain if possible) on fresh Wimbledon grass, my tickets would be booked :lick:

dencod16
Hahaha... Murray, playing only when it is beneficial for him...

Looner
04-07-2013, 08:47 PM
Well done, GB. They've done well but I can't feel but only laugh at the prospect of Muzzah playing and GB losign 3-2 :lol:.

justafanYYC
04-07-2013, 08:50 PM
don't worry about drawing Spain, Australia will draw them.

How do the Rankings work?

Ranking of the 16 qualifiers before this weekend (I'm assuming Ecuador wins)

1 Spain
12 Israel
10 Croatia
11 Austria
13 Switzerland
14 Germany
15 Brazil
16 Belgium
-----------
17 Australia
18 Japan
24 Netherlands
29 Poland
30 Ecuador
31 Ukraine
32 Columbia
38 Great Britain

I would think Australia jumped up to be seeded ahead of Belgium?

Timot
04-07-2013, 08:55 PM
One of the biggest upset in DC this year, regarding who was playing for Brits in singles (Ward - no. 214, Evans - no. 325) and that they were 0-2. Congrats.

156mphserve
04-07-2013, 08:57 PM
How do the Rankings work?

Ranking of the 16 qualifiers before this weekend (I'm assuming Ecuador wins)

1 Spain
12 Israel
10 Croatia
11 Austria
13 Switzerland
14 Germany
15 Brazil
16 Belgium
-----------
17 Australia
18 Japan
24 Netherlands
29 Poland
30 Ecuador
31 Ukraine
32 Columbia
38 Great Britain

I would think Australia jumped up to be seeded ahead of Belgium?

8000 points for winning the davis cup final , 6000 for winning semis, 4000 for winnign round 2, 2000 for winning round 1, 1000 for winning playoffs. There's also a 25% bonus for winning on the road. The rest of the points are here

http://www.daviscup.com/en/rankings/rankings-explained.aspx

you get 100% of the points for the last year, 75% for 1-2 years, 50% for 2-3 years, and 25% for 3-4 years.

So basically anything anyone has earned in the 2nd round(April ties) in the last 4 years will drop 25%, and will add what they earn this week.

I think someone from group 1 promotes will pass someone from WG losers, but can't be sure, too complicated, and if I tried I'd probably get it wrong. Most likely Australia passing Belgium, maybe someone else gets passed as well I don't know.

Also I think Chile will beat Ecuador though it won't matter, neither will pass Belgium imo.

AnnaK_4ever
04-07-2013, 09:00 PM
That bodes well for Russia's future in the Davis Cup :sobbing: :tape:

It was bound to happen sooner or later though. One needs to bear in mind that Russian tennis boom of the naughties was a really unprecedented phenomenon. It's an extraordinary coincidence that so many good/great players, male and female, burst onto the scene almost simultaneously. Safin, Davydenko, Youzhny, Tursunov, Andreev as well as Dementieva, Myskina, Petrova, Kournikova, Zvonareva were born between 1980 and 1984 and all proceeded to become Top-20 players.
Now Russian tennis seems to be back to where it was in early 1990s, except there is no new Kafelnikov on the horizon.

DanaKz
04-07-2013, 09:03 PM
Well, 3 years ago I thought Baluda will be pretty decent... Though I thought something like that about Ryan Hsrrison as well... Call me Cassandra.

tnosugar
04-07-2013, 10:33 PM
jeez. mother russia has sunk pretty low. congratz to GB, high time the country that codified the sport did something noteworthy.

156mphserve
04-07-2013, 10:39 PM
it's sad that fake Russia is in round 2 and took a match from the Czechs while real Russia is in danger of dropping to Europe zone 2 :lol:

CooCooCachoo
04-07-2013, 10:52 PM
It was bound to happen sooner or later though. One needs to bear in mind that Russian tennis boom of the naughties was a really unprecedented phenomenon. It's an extraordinary coincidence that so many good/great players, male and female, burst onto the scene almost simultaneously. Safin, Davydenko, Youzhny, Tursunov, Andreev as well as Dementieva, Myskina, Petrova, Kournikova, Zvonareva were born between 1980 and 1984 and all proceeded to become Top-20 players.
Now Russian tennis seems to be back to where it was in early 1990s, except there is no new Kafelnikov on the horizon.

What is striking is that the female lineage continues quite strongly. Kuznetsov is still a good player though. He might not reach the Top 20, but he should definitely rise more in the rankings.

AnnaK_4ever
04-07-2013, 11:18 PM
What is striking is that the female lineage continues quite strongly. Kuznetsov is still a good player though. He might not reach the Top 20, but he should definitely rise more in the rankings.

Hardly. Eight Russians broke into the WTA Top-10 in 2001-2007. Not a single one has done it since then. Once upon a time there were 8 Russians in the WTA Top-20 (six of them in the Top-10), now there are 8 Russians in the WTA Top-100 and only one of them is under age of 25.
Sorry for off-topic.

alypen
04-07-2013, 11:25 PM
Did this actually just happen?

Two perfect 'Plucky Brit' performances on Friday and then they go and ruin it by doing this. :(

Quite. How could they? :D

But seriously, congratulations to the whole team. I rather hoped they could do it, but didn't really think they would from 0-2 down.

tommyg6
04-07-2013, 11:45 PM
Wow cool result! I always wanted to see Great Britain play in the World Group level and by the looks of it, they might get in now with this result. This result has to be one of the most spirited comebacks I ever seen in Davis Cup history. Oh how I love Davis Cup so much!

forehandluva
04-08-2013, 02:42 AM
people in the uk other than andy murray actually played tennis who knew

Kyle_Johansen
04-08-2013, 03:02 AM
Great result for GB, but they definitely benefited from Russia not having Youzhny and Davydenko.

Would be great to see them in the world group.

Caesar1844
04-08-2013, 09:41 AM
I want GB vs anyone (Spain if possible) on fresh Wimbledon grass, my tickets would be booked :lick:
AUS v GB on real grass in Australia would be interesting.

Dangermouse
04-08-2013, 09:54 AM
GB v Australia would be held in the UK anyway, most likely on Hard Court in Glasgow.

Last time we played in Australia they put us on clay. Not sure Australia has EVER played a home tie on clay other than that match.

dinkulpus
04-08-2013, 10:01 AM
First win from 0-2 to 3-2 for Britain from 83 years :worship:

Horatio Caine
04-08-2013, 06:37 PM
GB v Australia would be held in the UK anyway, most likely on Hard Court in Glasgow.

Last time we played in Australia they put us on clay. Not sure Australia has EVER played a home tie on clay other than that match.

Absolutely no way on this Earth would Glasgow be an appropriate venue for any potential home tie in September. The last bunch of ties were difficult to market and generate public interest, hence the need for a small, cheap venue.

Birmingham would almost certainly be a hot favourite to host Switzerland, and maybe also Australia.

nole_no1
04-08-2013, 06:38 PM

AUS v GB on real grass in Australia would be interesting.

This would be interesting only if Murray will come to play and especially, if they draw Spain, if Nadal will play too. Otherwise it will be boring

Wing Man Frank
04-08-2013, 06:39 PM
If we get into the world group, we will be the clear favourites!

LET'S GO TEAM GB. WOOOOOOHOOOOOOO.

Hypnotize
04-08-2013, 07:32 PM
Wimbledon is out. I can't see them risking playing outdoors in September due to the weather and they would not be given permission to play on Centre Court.

Hypnotize
04-08-2013, 07:37 PM
Absolutely no way on this Earth would Glasgow be an appropriate venue for any potential home tie in September. The last bunch of ties were difficult to market and generate public interest, hence the need for a small, cheap venue.

Birmingham would almost certainly be a hot favourite to host Switzerland, and maybe also Australia.
I disagree. Glasgow has hosted the DC three times in the past and been judged to be a successful venue. If Andy Murray pushes for it, I can see it being chosen again.

Wing Man Frank
04-08-2013, 07:39 PM
Just read quotes from Dan Evans:

"It's because I don't train hard enough, I don't work hard enough day in and day out," he said with a refreshing bluntness on Friday. "I'm pretty bad at my job.

"There are distractions. I'm working class in my background, I have friends who don't want to hang around tennis all the time, who have other things they want to do.

"Thousands of people have told me the same thing but I haven't done it over a sustained period. And if I'm saying this then I'm the idiot aren't I?"

SIGH.

Certinfy
04-08-2013, 07:41 PM
Wimbledon Centre Court Indoors vs Switzerland would be fucking amazing (assuming the big names play)

Murray and Federer playing for the third time on the same court in 3 different events. :lol:

rocketassist
04-08-2013, 07:53 PM

"It's because I don't train hard enough, I don't work hard enough day in and day out," he said with a refreshing bluntness on Friday. "I'm pretty bad at my job.

"There are distractions. I'm working class in my background, I have friends who don't want to hang around tennis all the time, who have other things they want to do.

"Thousands of people have told me the same thing but I haven't done it over a sustained period. And if I'm saying this then I'm the idiot aren't I?"

SIGH.

God knows what working class has anything to do with it- Andy Murray's background is no wealthier/more privileged.

Ziggy B
04-08-2013, 07:57 PM
So chuffed for the lads, brilliant comeback! :sport:

Hypnotize
04-08-2013, 07:58 PM

SIGH.
Blaming his working class roots sounds about right for Evans. :rolleyes:

The guy has been given so many chances and while it's nice to hear him admit his mistakes, we've been here before with Evans and it just smacks of lip-service. Let's see if he actually starts applying himself or if he reverts to his old ways. If the LTA are smart, they will only give him a WC into Wimbledon qualifying this year and make him earn his spot for a change.

Wing Man Frank
04-08-2013, 07:59 PM
God knows what working class has anything to do with it- Andy Murray's background is no wealthier/more privileged.

Probably has a chip on his shoulder like most working class scum do.

Never their fault.

Wing Man Frank
04-08-2013, 08:00 PM

The guy has been given so many chances and while it's nice to hear him admit his mistakes, we've been here before with Evans and it just smacks of lip-service. Let's see if he actually starts applying himself or if he reverts to his old ways. If the LTA are smart, they will only give him a WC into Wimbledon qualifying this year and make him earn his spot for a change.

Wouldn't give out any WCs to Brits this year other than to qualifying. They've have enough time/chances.

Hypnotize
04-08-2013, 08:08 PM
Wouldn't give out any WCs to Brits this year other than to qualifying. They've have enough time/chances.
Well one will definitely be given for the WC play-off which at least is earned but I don't think Evans should be given one just because he won a DC match. It would be different if he was a young player, making his way up the rankings but he will be 23 soon and he has squandered all the WCs and other opportunities he has been handed in the past.

Rick Rude
04-08-2013, 08:36 PM
Wimbledon is out. I can't see them risking playing outdoors in September due to the weather and they would not be given permission to play on Centre Court.

That's strange, I clearly remember GB beating Croatia in a World Group Playoff in September 2007, on Wimbledon's No 1 Court (And GB losing to Austria on the same court in September 2008, but forget about that one right?)

August
04-08-2013, 08:45 PM

That really sucks. They were able to play an ATP 750 aka. Olympics at CC, why not DC?

Wimbledon Centre Court Indoors vs Switzerland would be fucking amazing (assuming the big names play)

Murray and Federer playing for the third time on the same court in 3 different events. :lol:

Indoor grass would be so :drool:

Sallydaisy
04-08-2013, 09:02 PM
GBR's potential opponents with seeding and whether Home or Away:

2 - Spain - AWAY
10 - Austria - AWAY
11 - Croatia - AWAY
12 - Switzerland - HOME
13 - Germany - HOME
14 - Australia - HOME
15 - Belgium - AWAY
16 - Japan - LOT

I disagree. Glasgow has hosted the DC three times in the past and been judged to be a successful venue. If Andy Murray pushes for it, I can see it being chosen again.
There's been 6 ties at Braehead, Glasgow, of which 4 in 2011/2012 (and 1 in 2006 and 1 in 2009). Andy played in July and September 2011 when it was there but not since.

IMHO Braehead would be too small a venue to cope with the potential interest generated by GBR playing any of the 3 teams we're guaranteed to play at home. Maybe if we drew Japan it might work there and give Murray chance to play in front of his home crowd again.

NEC, Birmingham, would be a good sized venue or Echo Arena in Liverpool for a tie v Germany, Switzerland or Australia. Both venues were sold out for ties v Netherlands and Poland respectively.

They risked it in September 2007 and September 2008 on Court One at Wimbledon and the weather was fantastic.
I doubt they'd allow Centre Court to be used although with the roof it would guarantee play and provide quite a setting for a Murray/Federer DC match.
:cool:

A lot depends on who we draw and, if at home, what might be the surface best suited for home team advantage.

Wing Man Frank
04-08-2013, 09:17 PM
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE can we draw Australia.

We'll thrash them in the cricket and then annihilate them in the tennis.

Perfect.

TigerTim
04-08-2013, 09:28 PM
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE can we draw Australia.

We'll thrash them in the cricket and then annihilate them in the tennis.

Perfect.

:lol:

Caesar1844
04-08-2013, 11:48 PM
If England managed to beat Australia in two sports in such a short period of time, the universe would collapse on itself.

Brit Tennis Fan
04-09-2013, 12:08 AM

He isn't blaming his working class roots, just explaining himself. Dan has many flaws but he has always been refreshingly honest about his own failings and never sought to blame anybody else for them.

Tag
04-09-2013, 12:11 AM
imagine if the highlander played...

Brit Tennis Fan
04-09-2013, 12:11 AM
Well one will definitely be given for the WC play-off which at least is earned but I don't think Evans should be given one just because he won a DC match. It would be different if he was a young player, making his way up the rankings but he will be 23 soon and he has squandered all the WCs and other opportunities he has been handed in the past.

He has two Wimbledon wild cards, the first in 2009 when he played Davydenko (WR 11 at the time) and again in 2011 when he lost a very close 4 set match to Florian Mayer (WR 18 at the time). I would hardly call that squandering opportunities.

However I am indeed less than convinced that he should get a wild card solely based on his Davis Cup performance.

Brit Tennis Fan
04-09-2013, 12:16 AM
That really sucks. They were able to play an ATP 750 aka. Olympics at CC, why not DC?

Olympics was an absolute one off. Centre court only gets used for two weeks of the year.

Court 1 is of course a possibility. I guess a lot will depend on if Murray plays and if so what surface he wants to play on.

Tag
04-09-2013, 12:20 AM
henman was a david cup warrior

The Prince
04-09-2013, 12:25 AM
Dan Evans deserves nothing from the LTA. I say make him earn his place in the big events, he's more than capable, so why not? :shrug: