Am I the only one who doesn't care about the Davis Cup? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Am I the only one who doesn't care about the Davis Cup?

Chris Kuerten
04-06-2013, 03:55 PM
Annoying disruption in my tennis following schedule, I couldn't care less about tennis being played as a team sport and I don't experience any of the magic other people seem to associate with this event.

Snowwy
04-06-2013, 03:56 PM
Annoying disruption in my tennis following schedule, I couldn't care less about tennis being played as a team sport and I don't experience any of the magic other people seem to associate with this event.

I find it nice to see some of these matches that happen in Davis Cup.

yavore
04-06-2013, 04:06 PM
+1

GSMnadal
04-06-2013, 04:09 PM
Emotions, rivalries, best of 5, biased crowds, different surface speeds, crying people, big trophy, a shot at glory (even for the lesser gods like Troicki). What's not to like?

tennisfan856
04-06-2013, 04:25 PM
It's a waste of energy for the players and the upcoming clay court schedule. Kill themselves over this weekend and then they feel the effects of it.

It's bad for the tour.

Gabe32
04-06-2013, 04:30 PM
I've got mixed feelings about it.

Pros
-Best of 5
-Different atmosphere than a normal tennis tournament (loud/crazy)
-Players get the pick the surface that suits them

Cons
-Teams. I really like that generally tennis is an individual sport
-Coaches
-Interrupts the schedule/tires players out

Time Violation
04-06-2013, 04:30 PM
I don't see what's not to like. Anyway, watching is not required if you don't like fortunately :)

nole_no1
04-06-2013, 04:36 PM
Would you like another boring 250 instead?

gulzhan
04-06-2013, 04:38 PM
Nothing can compare to DC matches. I love them!

TBkeeper
04-06-2013, 04:38 PM
Would you like another boring 250 instead?

This ! /thread.

Abel
04-06-2013, 04:40 PM
I don't care about it at all from a patriotic perspective (as I'm completely unpatriotic anyway). But the format is good and it's more tennis to watch :shrug:

Timot
04-06-2013, 04:41 PM
Tennis wouldn't be the same without it. It's the only chance you get to cheer for your own country when watching tennis. Besides, there's a great history behind it.

GSMnadal
04-06-2013, 04:43 PM
It's the biggest thing Vulture will ever win

Fed fordawin
04-06-2013, 04:45 PM
Emotions, rivalries, best of 5, biased crowds, different surface speeds, crying people, big trophy, a shot at glory (even for the lesser gods like Troicki). What's not to like?

Exactly.

A whole different brand of emotions than your usual boring tennis week.

BauerAlmeida
04-06-2013, 04:47 PM

This. Amazing tournament.

Stronga23
04-06-2013, 04:51 PM
I love DC because it brings out the best in players and just the atmosphere and passion alone is incredible.

Mountaindewslave
04-06-2013, 04:51 PM
I mean plenty of players find their way into the pro tennis world after playing college tennis, which is very similar format to Davis Cup, team sport wise....

I enjoy it to some degree, it's just good fun

Mark Lenders
04-06-2013, 04:53 PM

Understandable that a Ferrer fan would prefer 250/500 events. Don't worry, the excitement is about to rise again with Houston and Casablanca starting Monday ;)

latso
04-06-2013, 04:56 PM
DC is the rare case i can see some Futures tennis, including my countrymates.

The doubles going on right now against Estonia is a highly entertaining affair (surprisingly) and it's actually fun overall.

Snowwy
04-06-2013, 04:57 PM
Understandable that a Ferrer fan would prefer 250/500 events. Don't worry, the excitement is about to rise again with Houston and Casablanca starting Monday ;)

Ferrer is not in the Davis Cup, or Houston or Casablanca, that's for sure.

NID that some people would try to derail this thread by mentioning David Ferrer.

Abel
04-06-2013, 04:58 PM
Ferrer is not in the Davis Cup, or Houston or Casablanca, that's for sure.

He didn't say that Ferrer was :shrug:

Chris Kuerten
04-06-2013, 05:01 PM
Understandable that a Ferrer fan would prefer 250/500 events. Don't worry, the excitement is about to rise again with Houston and Casablanca starting Monday ;)Ferrer has won it three times and I still don't care about it, which proves my position as an unbiased analyst.

alfonsojose
04-06-2013, 05:04 PM
Nice thread. If i wanna see people screaming like crazy, insulting, attacking other people because they wear an sports uniform for another country, i'd go to an useless soccer match. Patriotism, my a**.

Mark Lenders
04-06-2013, 05:05 PM
Ferrer has won it three times and I still don't care about it, which proves my position as an unbiased analyst.

You mean Nadal won it for him, right?

What's not to like about Davis Cup anyway? Do you seriously believe the tennis will be of higher quality/more intriguing next week in Houston and Casablanca than in the Davis Cup? Even if you don't care who wins the event, like I don't, it's still an opportunity to watch interesting matchups over 5 sets and in different courts/conditions often.

Vinceremo
04-06-2013, 05:07 PM
Some ties are painfully predictable, specially in the lower zone groups were I see myself sometimes feeling bad about the amateur, random guys, who have to step in and represent their country only to get an embarassing beating by some of the decent pros who don't have enough depth in their team to be competing in the WG and against more competitive nations.

for the most, though, it's awesome and I love it! like many have said: the emotion, crowds, atmosphere are amazing and sometimes lead to memorable matches.

The Prince
04-06-2013, 05:11 PM
It makes professional tennis what it is. It needs a lot of tweaking, but I love the concept of fighting for one's country and that pursuit of being the best team in the world.

Chris Kuerten
04-06-2013, 05:12 PM
You mean Nadal won it for him, right?I believe Nadal didn't play last year and Ferrer routined Berdych 6-2 6-3 7-5 in the final on indoor hardcourt :rocker2:

That the team didn't win was unfortunate, but I see that as irrelevant :shrug:

PorkBarrel
04-06-2013, 05:30 PM
Tennis wouldn't be the same without it. It's the only chance you get to cheer for your own country when watching tennis. Besides, there's a great history behind it.
Don't forget the Olympics...

GB haven't been relevant in DC for decades but I still like it. The atmosphere is special but on the other hand, it serves to remind me of the chronic failings of the LTA. Mixed bag.

redshift36188
04-06-2013, 05:30 PM
Players are usually excited to play it and they give it all on the court which usually translates into good matches. Even though I'm not patriotic either, the atmosphere gives a special feeling to the matches. Plus, it's a team effort in Bo5, and the format itself is just refreshing.

vpmrosulate
04-06-2013, 05:39 PM
Apparently, for now, del Potro doesn't either... despite his patriotism.

On a more serious note, it's still pretty good tennis, just with a layer of emotion attached, so I don't see what makes it less appealing than normal tournaments.

Also, vamos Argentina. (although whatever team or player I root for usually starts choking immediately...)

vpmrosulate
04-06-2013, 05:48 PM

I don't find it understandable. Winning DC is a higher achievement for Ferrer than anything else he'll ever do---wouldn't that make it exciting for a fan?

I personally like it because it's another chance for me to see my favorite NBA player talk about tennis, since he's from Spain and good friends with Ferrer and Nadal.

When JMDP said their team was going to pull Rafa's underwear out of his ass, Gasol responded with, we'll see whose pants will be dropping. He said something nice about Delpo first, but it's international events like this that make him break out of just being nice 100% of the time, and I relish that.

Chris Kuerten
04-06-2013, 05:50 PM
I don't find it understandable. Winning DC is a higher achievement for Ferrer than anything else he'll ever do---wouldn't that make it exciting for a fan?

I personally like it because it's another chance for me to see my favorite NBA player talk about tennis, since he's from Spain and good friends with Ferrer and Nadal.

When JMDP said their team was going to pull Rafa's underwear out of his ass, Gasol responded with, we'll see whose pants will be dropping. He said something nice about Delpo first, but it's international events like this that make him break out of just being nice 100% of the time, and I relish that.Masters > Davis Cup > 500, IMO.

Timot
04-06-2013, 05:56 PM
Don't forget the Olympics...

You're right. But Olympics are once every 4 years and you get DC matches few times a year.

vpmrosulate
04-06-2013, 05:56 PM
Masters > Davis Cup > 500, IMO.

Normally I'd agree, but as you said, when Ferrer played DC, he had to go through the likes of Berdych, if not even tougher opponents. Who did he beat in Paris? Also I'm biased because my appreciation of Ferrer is skewed by my love of Gasol, and it's clear which is more important in his eyes. In other words, don't mind me.

On that note, my home country only has one elite tennis player, and she's a woman....

dinkulpus
04-06-2013, 06:00 PM
I love this tournament, it's chance for small countries to see their home players when there is no ATP :p

Stronga23
04-06-2013, 06:02 PM
Normally I'd agree, but as you said, when Ferrer played DC, he had to go through the likes of Berdych, if not even tougher opponents. Who did he beat in Paris? Also I'm biased because my appreciation of Ferrer is skewed by my love of Gasol, and it's clear which is more important in his eyes. In other words, don't mind me.

On that note, my home country only has one elite tennis player, and she's a woman....

Feel sorry for Pau :sad:

Nathaliia
04-06-2013, 06:03 PM
You're not the only one. Accordingly to Wawrinka, Fed would be the second :angel:

LeChuck
04-06-2013, 06:06 PM
The only thing I don't like about Davis Cup weeks is that there is no ATP level tennis from the Monday to Thursday.

Apart from that I love watching Davis Cup tennis with the partisan crowds, wide variety of surfaces and drama. I prefer it to regular tour level tournaments.

TigerTim
04-06-2013, 06:09 PM
Andy Murray agrees with you

vpmrosulate
04-06-2013, 06:10 PM
Feel sorry for Pau :sad:

Hold on, you support Delpo, Gulbis, Nalbandian, Haas, and actually know who Gasol is, on a forum where most people seem to find basketball a fix for insomnia. Can I just say that this is awesome?

mreccentric
04-06-2013, 06:14 PM
best of 5 ties sometimes makes it interesting to watch, especially when the competition is high.

Chris Kuerten
04-06-2013, 06:15 PM

On that note, my home country only has one elite tennis player, and she's a woman....But you're dependent of your teammates, it's an unfair disadvantage to lesser tennis countries to rate the Davis Cup higher in an individual sport. A guy like Murray will never be able to win the Davis Cup. Ferrer won both his matches in three sets in last years final, but lost due to his poor teammates.
You're not the only one. Accordingly to Wawrinka, Fed would be the second :angel:Good company :lol:

out_here_grindin
04-06-2013, 06:15 PM
Some ties are painfully predictable, specially in the lower zone groups were I see myself sometimes feeling bad about the amateur, random guys, who have to step in and represent their country only to get an embarassing beating by some of the decent pros who don't have enough depth in their team to be competing in the WG and against more competitive nations.

for the most, though, it's awesome and I love it! like many have said: the emotion, crowds, atmosphere are amazing and sometimes lead to memorable matches.

I don't feel bad for those guys. It's a chance of a lifetime that only Davis cup could provide. Like guy from Benin who got triple breadsticked by Baghdatis. Yeah he got killed but I bet he relished the chance and won't forget the day he got go play Baghdatis.

Tiebreak100
04-06-2013, 06:17 PM
The Davis Cup is a mess. Not interested until it is completely revamped.

Stronga23
04-06-2013, 06:20 PM
Hold on, you support Delpo, Gulbis, Nalbandian, Haas, and actually know who Gasol is, on a forum where most people seem to find basketball a fix for insomnia. Can I just say that this is awesome?

Well basketball has always been my second favorite sport :D. I watch every game if Pau and Carmelo I can. Wish DAntoni would use him more.

vpmrosulate
04-06-2013, 06:26 PM
But you're dependent of your teammates, it's an unfair disadvantage to lesser tennis countries to rate the Davis Cup higher in an individual sport. A guy like Murray will never be able to win the Davis Cup. Ferrer won both his matches in three sets in last years final, but lost due to his poor teammates.
Good company :lol:

I know, I agree on the macro level, that's why I'm rating it on an individual basis. Only fair when I also rated the Masters on an individual basis.

simplet
04-06-2013, 06:28 PM
Like everyone is saying, what's not to like about Davis Cup? The only tournament where everyone's favorite shot is the double fault. The crowd goes wild for those every time.

Timot
04-06-2013, 06:28 PM
But you're dependent of your teammates, it's an unfair disadvantage to lesser tennis countries to rate the Davis Cup higher in an individual sport. A guy like Murray will never be able to win the Davis Cup. Ferrer won both his matches in three sets in last years final, but lost due to his poor teammates.
Good company :lol:

That makes it even more exciting, IMO. You need to have a good team - not just one guy. :)

It would be so boring (and kinda pointless) if DC produced nearly the same results as singles ranking.

Vinceremo
04-06-2013, 06:31 PM
I don't feel bad for those guys. It's a chance of a lifetime that only Davis cup could provide. Like guy from Benin who got triple breadsticked by Baghdatis. Yeah he got killed but I bet he relished the chance and won't forget the day he got go play Baghdatis.

Fair point in those cases but take in consideration i'm, too, referring to amateur players who are getting constantly outclassed by way lesser known players around the 200-500 range leaving nothing 'memorable' (being strict with it I guess in comparison to being in the same court against Baghdatis or Gulbis, for example) to remember and just the fact that they tried, stepped up for their country and did their best... which is, still, a great valuable experience but, hey, go tell that to the few people on the stands who were cheering for their countryman and expecting a competitive bout due to their lack of knowledge in the sport and how different the levels are between full time pros and the ones who aren't. i've got crazy respect for them, it's quite a brave thing to do.

but I get your point, like I said. plus, those guys should always leave the court with their chin up after the effort and intention despite the logical differences and gap in level again.

Chris Kuerten
04-06-2013, 06:33 PM
That makes it even more exciting, IMO. You need to have a good team - not just one guy. :)

It would be so boring (and kinda pointless) if DC produced nearly the same results as singles ranking.Agreed, that was only to prove a point about why a Davis Cup victory shouldn't be rated above a Masters title.

vpmrosulate
04-06-2013, 06:34 PM
Well basketball has always been my second favorite sport :D. I watch every game if Pau and Carmelo I can. Wish DAntoni would use him more.

Nice, I watch the Knicks because I'm from the area.

But I wouldn't say simply use him more, but use him wisely. Like in tennis, if a player is tall and strong, a coach should encourage him to work on his serve, because he has high potential there. D'Antoni makes a 7-footer shoot 3's instead of converting near the hoop to take advantage of his size.

Back to the Davis Cup, it's helping me learn French as I read the relevant tweets since I can't watch the Nalbandian match right now. Seems very emotional sometimes.

vpmrosulate
04-06-2013, 06:38 PM
Agreed, that was only to prove a point about why a Davis Cup victory shouldn't be rated above a Masters title.

Well, at least you're now saying there is something marginally exciting about DC.

BackhandDTL
04-06-2013, 06:53 PM
I've never really given it the esteem that the ITF brands it with, but I have enjoyed some of the matches it has produced. The early 00's produced tons of them. From what I've seen the late 80's/early 90's boasts good ties as well.

Also, I don't think it can be overlooked for its affect on a player's confidence. It seemed to do great things for Djokovic's. I think Nadal even benefited from it back in '04.

August
04-06-2013, 07:03 PM
I like DC a lot, more than M1000s. M1000s are either warm-up for slams or completely useless like IW, Miami, and Shanghai. But players in DC play seriously, only bad thing is big names skipping it. Besides, it's refreshing to see something different than a usual 32-player tournament. I much rather watch DC than a 250 on slow HC/clay. Actually, DC is one of the few tournaments where you still can have fast surfaces, DF F was the fastest surface Spaniards played last year and it was just a normal indoor HC, carpet would've been faster. Also, I like the football-like crowd in DC. Actually, it's one of my favourite nations' cups because it's played on teams' home courts. It's like UCL playoffs, not like a World Cup of XXX.

bjurra
04-06-2013, 07:08 PM

Exactly, I dont see how DC cannot be exciting.

tumbak
04-06-2013, 07:35 PM
It's sick, but however I would be more excited about it if my country was playing on a good level.

rocketassist
04-06-2013, 07:40 PM
Too many johnny come lately player fans who need to go and follow another sport.

DC is magical, mystical and a part of tennis romance.

BackhandDTL
04-06-2013, 07:54 PM
I like DC a lot, more than M1000s. M1000s are either warm-up for slams or completely useless like IW, Miami, and Shanghai. But players in DC play seriously, only bad thing is big names skipping it. Besides, it's refreshing to see something different than a usual 32-player tournament. I much rather watch DC than a 250 on slow HC/clay. Actually, DC is one of the few tournaments where you still can have fast surfaces, DF F was the fastest surface Spaniards played last year and it was just a normal indoor HC, carpet would've been faster. Also, I like the football-like crowd in DC. Actually, it's one of my favourite nations' cups because it's played on teams' home courts. It's like UCL playoffs, not like a World Cup of XXX.

This is a great point.

DC allows for the use of surfaces, particularly fast ones, that deviate from the standard of the current ATP tour.

I relished the slugfest that went on in the Berdych-Almagro match last Fall. You just don't/can't see that type of shot-making very often these days.

gulzhan
04-06-2013, 08:02 PM

+1

I usually cheer for France but I started watching the doubles match today and pretty quickly turned to cheer for Argentina. Only because of Nalbandian. Where else can you watch David playing on this level? Breathtaking tennis, that's the magic of DC :worship:

The best tennis matches I ever saw were played during DC weekends. I pity those who don't feel it.

Ben D.
04-06-2013, 08:03 PM
It's the only big title left for non-top 4.

vpmrosulate
04-06-2013, 08:06 PM
It's the only big title left for non-top 4.

Now, now... the Masters titles are still big...

Alex999
04-06-2013, 08:13 PM
it's not about DC per se, it's about tennis. getting to watch best of 5, some crazy matches. bring it on babe. I love it. plus team work, strategy, the hooligan crowds, etc :worship:. DC>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Olympics 1000 times :):.

It's so good to see so many players firing up and going crazy. i.e. If Nalbandian was fired up in his regular matches as much as when he plays for Argentina, he would be a multiple slam winner :D.

August
04-06-2013, 08:58 PM
Also, it's nice to see Bo5 in doubles, Wimbledon being the only tournament with Bo5 in doubles otherwise. Too bad they fucked up the Olympic final and changed it to Bo3.

bjurra
04-06-2013, 09:14 PM
Also, it's nice to see Bo5 in doubles, Wimbledon being the only tournament with Bo5 in doubles otherwise. Too bad they fucked up the Olympic final and changed it to Bo3.

And we get to see singles players facing doubles specialists in high profile matches!

Johnny Groove
04-06-2013, 09:22 PM
I love Copa Davis, absolutely love it.

August
04-06-2013, 09:33 PM
And we get to see singles players facing doubles specialists in high profile matches!
Getting off-topic but exactly for that reason I almost find Olympic Gold a bigger thing in doubles than in singles. Lack of sigles players really hurt doubles slams, just look at Olympic Gold medalists and also IW champions (2011 the entire Big Four played IW doubles). Singles players can do really well in doubles. DC F was an example on that, fresh WTF champs, singles+doubles player Granollers and doubles specialist Lopez beaten by singles+doubles player Stepanek and singles player Berdych.

nolesfan2011
04-06-2013, 10:36 PM
I care about the general idea (best of 5, global teams in regions, home fans etc.) but I don't care much for the execution, the fact so many top players don't play and the way it wraps around the calendar really makes me less interested than I otherwise would be.

Not to mention so many nations have DC teams without the actual tennis federation, facilities, and players to support it. When a country has 14 and 50 year olds playing for it and a bunch of guys who played division 2 college tennis and even high school tennis I really don't see the point of fielding a team (in short Groups 2/3 should be consolidated considerably). I would like to see a rule put in place that to field a team you have to have at least 2 or 3 players who are in the ATP rankings, or 2 in the top 1200 or something like that.

Also dead rubbers aren't much fun but I'm not sure what can be done on that (kills an entire day of tennis if a team goes up 3-0).

In short it would be better if it was fixed but the main thing is the top talent not playing kills it, I mean does anyone actually think Canada is better at Tennis than Spain? and yet Canada beat the Spanish team full of B and C tier players.

nolesfan2011
04-06-2013, 10:40 PM
Agreed, that was only to prove a point about why a Davis Cup victory shouldn't be rated above a Masters title.

DC is no more interesting to me than an ATP 500 and it should rate that way (it's about that level, some good players but not all the good players).

bjurra
04-07-2013, 12:48 AM
DC is no more interesting to me than an ATP 500 and it should rate that way (it's about that level, some good players but not all the good players).

That is just such a nonsense attitude to me. It's like saying watching the Dutch League is just as interesting as watching the World Cup. It should be enough to watch players and spectators in action in a Davis Cup match to realize this is exciting stuff.

I mean, any competition where the Bryans lose 13-15 in 5th to Bozoljac in front of a roaring home crowd is GOAT to me.

Pirata.
04-07-2013, 12:53 AM
You mean Nadal won it for him, right?

Right, I forgot Nadal was the one who beat Roddick and Fish on indoor hard court in the USA and (despite not winning the final) beat both Stepanek and Berdych on indoor hard in Czech Republic as well.

guga2120
04-07-2013, 12:59 AM
A lot of the best matches the last 10 years have been in the Davis cup. It's good to see the top players playing for something other than just themselves.

Edda
04-07-2013, 01:38 AM
I like it, but I root for individuals, not teams. I like the Spanish team because two of my favorite players are from Spain, and the U.S. because I like the Bryan Brothers.

NSMv1924
04-07-2013, 01:55 AM

:worship:

Kyle_Johansen
04-07-2013, 02:58 AM
DC is great because players play for their country and there is added motivation. There is a reason that the tournament has elevated players and why we see so many lower ranked guys play their best tennis at DC.

Action Jackson
04-07-2013, 03:04 AM

Your best ever post and 100% true.

MaratandMilos
04-07-2013, 03:11 AM
You can argue that it doesn't mean much (and it doesn't mean much to quite a few top players), but to the ones that actually play, it really does. And that makes for some very entertaining matches.

BroTree123
04-07-2013, 03:13 AM
I don't really watch it because it's not something that I notice compared to the usual tour events. But I appreciate having it around because it's unique as it emphasizes so much about the countries, rather than the players. As a result, there's better atmosphere, mugs suddenly grow balls and play out of their skin, and there's a greater chance for adversity to happen - I love a good controversy now and then. Some trash talk, some punch ons and general hooliganism. It really does reveal the dark side of humans, and that's what makes DC interesting. It resembles so much like a soccer match. It's not tightly knit compared to your everyday ATP tour event.

rocketassist
04-07-2013, 03:16 AM
Unique incidents like Zabaleta having chairs launched at him by the Chilean fans in 2001, that's Davis Cup. Crowds that are hostile as fuck. But that's part of the experience.

SheepleBuster
04-07-2013, 03:36 AM
I like Davis Cup. It's a BS tournament which I can listen to with my monitor turned off and noise turned down and do my work. I think watching it makes people dumb. Nationalism bullcrap ... people rooting for someone because they are born from the same country. Heck, there is no tennis player in this continent or Europe that I like (not counting Switzerland).

supertom
04-07-2013, 03:45 AM
Davis Cup has one of the best ambiance ever.. Look today in Argentina.. it was amazing (and I am for France..).
This actually changes from other tournaments, and when you are from one country that performs in this competition, it is really interesting..

supertom
04-07-2013, 03:46 AM

:yeah:

atennisfan
04-07-2013, 04:15 AM
No one can ever beat Hewitt's heart playing DC matches in Buenos Aires.

SheepleBuster
04-07-2013, 05:28 AM
Davis Cup, Olympics, World Cup. All BS nationalistic bullcrap tournaments. Why should I root for someone if they were born in my country? What's so especial about any country? I think Slams, Champions League, and tournaments like that over Davis Cup or World Cup any day ... tennis, soccer, or other sports.

Topspindoctor
04-07-2013, 05:42 AM
Davis Cup, Olympics, World Cup. All BS nationalistic bullcrap tournaments. Why should I root for someone if they were born in my country? What's so especial about any country? I think Slams, Champions League, and tournaments like that over Davis Cup or World Cup any day ... tennis, soccer, or other sports.

I sense a butthurt Nose fangirl. :awww: Still mad he could only managed a silver medal despite having had plenty of chances to get the gold? :lol:

heya
04-07-2013, 05:51 AM
Noserer had so many bad Slam opponents to contend with. He didn't practice his "easy beautiful shots" at Davis Cup.

heya
04-07-2013, 06:02 AM
I like it, but I root for individuals, not teams. I like the Spanish team because two of my favorite players are from Spain, and the U.S. because I like the Bryan Brothers.
There should be a balance. The best players shouldn't skip Davis Cup for many years, but the top 10 players, who aren't good enough to beat DC trophy winners, shouldn't play every DC match instead of having Slam preparations.

jrm
04-07-2013, 02:42 PM
KAZ vs CZE (Kazaks without top100 player, Czechs without Berdych) ... really worthy for QF tie

Hewitt =Legend
04-07-2013, 02:54 PM
Don't know how anyone could not enjoy the unique atmosphere that DC encapsulates so magnificently. Easily the most prestigious title in tennis after the slams and Hopman Cup... Masters and World Tour Finals don't even come close...

Looner
04-07-2013, 02:59 PM
DC is as much of a waste of time and space as the international friendlies in football.

niff
04-07-2013, 03:03 PM
DC final alone is one of the highlights of the year, there's nothing else like it in tennis :shrug:

VamosRafaNadal
04-07-2013, 03:05 PM
I really like Davis Cup and all its atmosphere :)

A_Skywalker
04-07-2013, 03:07 PM
its the most boring tournament with no price at all. People come and root for players they dont even know, just becaus they are from their country.

Coolio_Jack
04-07-2013, 03:46 PM
Generally people that dont like DC are fanboys of top players, and are not tennis fans.

nellis_lv
04-07-2013, 03:55 PM
To be honest, every slam and masters tournament after last year's Wimby have been a bit stale.

How exciting was that AO 2013, how about Paris and US Open .. :sadface:
(Indian wells this year was good, though.)

These Davis Cup matches the last few days, at least, provide a bit more excitement.

GSMnadal
04-07-2013, 04:17 PM
To be honest, every slam and masters tournament after last year's Wimby have been a bit stale.

How exciting was that AO 2013, how about Paris and US Open .. :sadface:
(Indian wells this year was good, though.)

These Davis Cup matches the last few days, at least, provide a bit more excitement.

That's what Rafa Nadal does for the tour.

SheepleBuster
04-07-2013, 04:26 PM
I sense a butthurt Nose fangirl. :awww: Still mad he could only managed a silver medal despite having had plenty of chances to get the gold? :lol:

Who? Do you honestly think I care about the Olympics? I mean there are some nice girl events like gymnastics and synchronized dancing but the rest is bull shit.

Boris Franz Ecker
04-07-2013, 04:43 PM
Daviscup is good a show.
But it has lost importance. That's a pity. atmosphere is usually great.

In doubles daviscup is the most important event because alongside the olympics. A good and rare opportunity for top players to play doubles in a serious competition.

Chris Kuerten
04-07-2013, 04:46 PM
Generally people that dont like DC are fanboys of top players, and are not tennis fans.That's evident from all the top players in my signature.

green25814
04-07-2013, 04:50 PM
DC is a godsend for lower ranked players, many of them would never normally get the opportunity at such exposure and big match atmosphere. Its also a nice change from the ordinary bogstandard tennis calender

nellis_lv
04-07-2013, 06:25 PM
That's what Rafa Nadal does for the tour.

Haha. I figured that might make me sound like a Rafa fanatic. Even though, there's some truth about his presence.

There's just more variety in Davis Cup. The surfaces, for example. You could switch from watching true clay like in Argentina to a super fast indoor court in Canada.

Everything from the surfaces to access to center court to favorable treatment from tournament directors at the majors is geared towards a top 4 monopoly… and it's getting a bit stale, let's be honest.

Honestly
04-07-2013, 06:27 PM
The uniqueness of the DC is it's atmosphere. Other than that I don't care much for it.

Le Master
04-07-2013, 06:46 PM
its the most boring tournament with no price at all. People come and root for players they dont even know, just becaus they are from their country.

Which is why I've never been able to get into team sports like football, soccer, baseball, etc. I just think it's absurd to only like a team, even as it goes through generations of different players, simply because of its geographic location. I like individual tennis players because of qualities like their talent, style of play, potential, etc. I'm not going to root for some tennis players just because they happen to reside in the same country I do; that's really just ridiculous to me.

seljanin
04-07-2013, 06:52 PM
Too many johnny come lately player fans who need to go and follow another sport.

This! :yeah: And there are many posts that I agree with in this thread, but this pretty much highlights all of them.

I can understand that people from bigger tennis countries don't care that much about Davis cup, but, for example, for Latvia it is the only chance to see Gulbis playing in our country. We are hosting only one futures event within a whole year, and Davis Cup is the only way we can see our best player and also some of other better known players, who come to Latvia for DC ties. I think that I started following Latvia's DC ties since I was 10 years old, I am always trying to watch them in the stadium, and those DC weekends are very special for me. Latvia will now play Finland in September for advancing to group 1, and I can hardly wait when that tie starts.

Not only this, probably, the DC weekends are those, when I watch the most tennis. Well, maybe except Grand Slams. This weekend, starting from Friday, I spent at home watching different ties on livestream (Kazakhstan - Czech Rep., Bulgaria - Estonia, Great Britain - Russia, Bosnia - Moldova, Poland - South Africa, USA - Serbia, etc). It is just great to see players playing for their country, emotions, drama, different doubles pairing, dealing with the home fans, etc.

In short words, Davis Cup is awesome, and I hope it will never change its format.

chalkdust
04-07-2013, 07:02 PM
I don't really care about it at all, but it is something different in the sport, so I'm not sure I would get rid of it altogether. Some players seem to care about it, e.g. Novak, even Roger when he thought he could win it with Stan.

I would change the format a bit so no player could play more than one of the singles matches. Maybe make it an under 23 tournament.

Edit: seljanin just made the point about the way the competition allows people from smaller countries to see some top-flight tennis, so I agree that is very important - so I have changed my mind, keep it as an all-age tournament. Still think it should be one singles match per player though.

Mr.Michael
04-07-2013, 07:14 PM
I like DC, but it's disappointing to see quite weak attendance. US-Brazil match was awful, it was really maybe half full, this week it's been a little better. Canada is also quite bad. They say that Vancouver is the best place for a home tie, but the arena isn't packed. And the capacity isn't even that great? Maybe 6000? Even Buenos Aires is only about 80%. But the stadium there is quite big.

I'd love to see Canada reach the finals. Would be so interesting to see where they would play it and how good it would be marketed.

motorhead
04-07-2013, 07:25 PM
DC is pure emotions, how can someone not like it is beyond me.

August
04-07-2013, 07:30 PM
Not only this, probably, the DC weekends are those, when I watch the most tennis. Well, maybe except Grand Slams. This weekend, starting from Friday, I spent at home watching different ties on livestream (Kazakhstan - Czech Rep., Bulgaria - Estonia, Great Britain - Russia, Bosnia - Moldova, Poland - South Africa, USA - Serbia, etc). It is just great to see players playing for their country, emotions, drama, different doubles pairing, dealing with the home fans, etc.

True, if there's ties in Asia and the Americas besides Europe, you can have 72 hours of ATP level tennis in row.

vpmrosulate
04-07-2013, 07:53 PM
Which is why I've never been able to get into team sports like football, soccer, baseball, etc. I just think it's absurd to only like a team, even as it goes through generations of different players, simply because of its geographic location. I like individual tennis players because of qualities like their talent, style of play, potential, etc. I'm not going to root for some tennis players just because they happen to reside in the same country I do; that's really just ridiculous to me.

I support the Argentina DC team (here admittedly biased because I love the Argentine culture), the Spanish basketball team, and the German/Argentine/Spanish football teams, and I'm not from any of those countries. Heck, I live on the opposite coast from the NBA teams I support. I think that although the players do change over time, for now many of the athletes on a team seem to share something intangible. Maybe not so much for tennis, but for actual team sports there's definitely a distinct style to the team's play, and that stays for a while even if the players are changed up a bit. Just as you might like a tennis player's individual characteristics, a team has its unique traits as well, its own passion, potential, flair.

I rooted against team USA in the Olympics for basketball, even though I live here. They're so dominant, but that kind of dominance isn't all that interesting, plus they barely even trained together compared to teams like Spain or maybe Argentina, and the difference is pretty evident in terms of the cohesiveness and the emotional dynamic present. It's not about geography, it's about identity.

As for DC, I'll be honest, I think of a boy who, when he was my age, said his two biggest dreams were to win the US Open and the Davis Cup. He got one a couple years later, and I refuse to believe he actually has no desire left for the other. His patriotism is a lot firmer than mine, judging from the Olympics, not to mention DC is the event where he first beat Djokovic (albeit via retirement; first legitimate win was London 2012, but same deal there) and managed to take a 6:1 set off Nadal on clay. It's the event where he vowed to do his best last fall, despite the doctor's orders about a wrist injury that promised to be like his other wrist injury if he was't careful. And now he calls it a closed topic, using a delayed text message as an excuse? So my favorite country (other than my own) and my favorite player are almost at odds, and I'm not sure who to support anymore.

But then when I see Nalbandian, Monaco, Zeballos, even Ferrer, fighting as they did for the sake of DC, no matter what I thought about these people at other times, I definitely gain respect for them. Maybe you don't like people supporting pure geography, but winning for one's country is quite another thing, because it's not just the dirt beneath their feet, but also something that gave them life, that gave lives a certain layer of meaning, that unites all of them and the generations before them--and just because those generations went by doesn't mean they left without a trace. If I can fall madly in love with the culture as a foreigner, the players are perfectly justified in trying to play 200% for the country.

Well, at least in my book. I'm a bit insane at the moment.

lucyfur
04-07-2013, 08:31 PM
I support the Argentina DC team (here admittedly biased because I love the Argentine culture), the Spanish basketball team, and the German/Argentine/Spanish football teams, and I'm not from any of those countries. Heck, I live on the opposite coast from the NBA teams I support. I think that although the players do change over time, for now many of the athletes on a team seem to share something intangible. Maybe not so much for tennis, but for actual team sports there's definitely a distinct style to the team's play, and that stays for a while even if the players are changed up a bit. Just as you might like a tennis player's individual characteristics, a team has its unique traits as well, its own passion, potential, flair.

I rooted against team USA in the Olympics for basketball, even though I live here. They're so dominant, but that kind of dominance isn't all that interesting, plus they barely even trained together compared to teams like Spain or maybe Argentina, and the difference is pretty evident in terms of the cohesiveness and the emotional dynamic present. It's not about geography, it's about identity.

As for DC, I'll be honest, I think of a boy who, when he was my age, said his two biggest dreams were to win the US Open and the Davis Cup. He got one a couple years later, and I refuse to believe he actually has no desire left for the other. His patriotism is a lot firmer than mine, judging from the Olympics, not to mention DC is the event where he first beat Djokovic (albeit via retirement; first legitimate win was London 2012, but same deal there) and managed to take a 6:1 set off Nadal on clay. It's the event where he vowed to do his best last fall, despite the doctor's orders about a wrist injury that promised to be like his other wrist injury if he was't careful. And now he calls it a closed topic, using a delayed text message as an excuse? So my favorite country (other than my own) and my favorite player are almost at odds, and I'm not sure who to support anymore.

But then when I see Nalbandian, Monaco, Zeballos, even Ferrer, fighting as they did for the sake of DC, no matter what I thought about these people at other times, I definitely gain respect for them. Maybe you don't like people supporting pure geography, but winning for one's country is quite another thing, because it's not just the dirt beneath their feet, but also something that gave them life, that gave lives a certain layer of meaning, that unites all of them and the generations before them--and just because those generations went by doesn't mean they left without a trace. If I can fall madly in love with the culture as a foreigner, the players are perfectly justified in trying to play 200% for the country.

Well, at least in my book. I'm a bit insane at the moment.

Where does he say it's a closed topic? as far as I know he wants to play but is waiting for the coach to start talks. whatever happened between them we may never know, but that does not mean he doesn't care.:rolleyes:

Chris Kuerten
04-07-2013, 08:42 PM
I'm enjoying Simon - Berlocq on an individual level because they're both amongst my favorites, but I couldn't care less about the rest of their teams.

vpmrosulate
04-07-2013, 10:55 PM
Where does he say it's a closed topic? as far as I know he wants to play but is waiting for the coach to start talks. whatever happened between them we may never know, but that does not mean he doesn't care.:rolleyes:

Well, it's only in Spanish I think, but http://mundod.lavoz.com.ar/tenis/del-potro-sobre-su-negativa-estar-en-la-copa-davis-es-un-tema-cerrado would be one of them. But there's a lot of articles saying the same thing.

Also, I just woke up from a nap, and good gracious, to see all the random sentiment I post when I haven't slept.... :eek:

Li Ching Yuen
04-07-2013, 11:44 PM
It's a flawed format for the most part but there are a few factors that due to circumstances today make the competition very interesting:

1.Variety of surfaces. Apart from lower tier competitions one of the few places where you can encounter a vast difference between the courts the matches are played on, from fast indoor to molasses like clay. Despite how the governing forces have shaped the current look of the game it is still one of the points of interest in the game of tennis. It goes even further, due to the format you could have the most important rubber of the competition played in the most unthinkable conditions, at altitude against a hostile crowd, which is something that can boost an underdog's chance by quite the margin, no matter who he faces.

2.The doubles game. For a variety of reasons, one being the poor reward in money for the competition in the regular tour, here doubles actually matters, and quite a lot too, more often than not being the decisive match in most ties. Politics of the game in the last decade or so have drastically changed the quality of play in the doubles but every now and then you get a glimpse through one of these matches to see why this form of competition was once quite important in the game.

3.The atmosphere: Normally you get on the tour crowds that vary from mildly interested to indifferent, here it's the complete opposite. The ratio of involvement to every match is vastly superior.

Basically it scores where the regular tour usually lacks in copious amounts.

heya
04-08-2013, 01:38 AM
DC is for the real men who want to
show their best and do just as well with the success rate as the top 10-20 players.

On the other side, if the fakers are ranked top 20 but they can barely compete with the number 40-100 players of other countries, they're exposed as pretenders (unless cheating & awful opponents' efforts gave them wins).
In DC ties, they have to go where the other countries choose, so when they complain about clay, grass or indoors then choke badly, they're not so competitive after all.

nolesfan2011
04-08-2013, 02:09 AM
That is just such a nonsense attitude to me. It's like saying watching the Dutch League is just as interesting as watching the World Cup. It should be enough to watch players and spectators in action in a Davis Cup match to realize this is exciting stuff.

I mean, any competition where the Bryans lose 13-15 in 5th to Bozoljac in front of a roaring home crowd is GOAT to me.

Except many of the matches are "dutch league" quality, not World Cup quality, even when it comes to World Cup, the teams people love to watch are the good ones, Spain, Netherlands, Italy, Brazil, Argentina etc. because it is exciting and skillful and such.

Most people aren't super thrilled for the match between North Korea and New Zealand (unless they are from those countries or something) regardless of what tag is put on it.

LaFuria
04-08-2013, 02:24 AM
Davis Cup is one of the best parts of tennis.

Miss Molly
04-08-2013, 03:33 AM
I love Davis Cup. I've only ever been to one tie and that was in the early 90s but the atmosphere was so much fun. Any time I can cheer for Canada I'll do it.

Punky
04-08-2013, 05:38 AM
I'm with u, I can't stand team tennis I think it takes the beauty of the game, I love the fact that a player is totally alone out there, no one to help or guide him, like gladiators or something in some kind of arena ;)

I don't care if the Israeli team or any team fir that matter will win or lose I doubt I
Will watch it

bouncer7
04-08-2013, 06:10 AM
I'm with u, I can't stand team tennis I think it takes the beauty of the game, I love the fact that a player is totally alone out there, no one to help or guide him, like gladiators or something in some kind of arena ;)

I don't care if the Israeli team or any team fir that matter will win or lose I doubt I
Will watch it

:haha: fedmug is wellknown gladiator on tour.

Kyle_Johansen
04-08-2013, 06:11 AM

Funny.

He's more of a gladiator than all but Nadal and Djokovic in the current day.

Punky
04-08-2013, 08:04 AM

Yes, I see tennis as two gladiators fighting each other, what can I say I'm romantic at heart ;)

I don't think a player with a slam record shouldn't be call gladiator but that's u or hate I really don't mind

Ben D.
04-08-2013, 08:04 AM
many players are more interested in their own career than DC. They are a few exception though, Ferrer played a lot for his country in recent years. But not 2013, though. Another proof that even the more dedicated players are more interested in single career than DC.

Its also obvious that players whose career is over will have more interest in DC, because its basically the only "big" thing they can hope to win. Nalbandian is definitely washed up, so DC becomes is main (last) interest, same goes with Stepanek.

On a side note, dont be fooled, once their own country is eliminated, 90% of watchers lose interest and dont care about the eventual winner. Its all about supporting your Nation. Nothing to see with some illusory "global" or "universal" tennis fandom.

Punky
04-08-2013, 08:08 AM
Funny.

He's more of a gladiator than all but Nadal and Djokovic in the current day.

Let him be

Action Jackson
04-08-2013, 08:37 AM
People who don't get Davis Cup, well there are 48 weeks of the year to watch ATP events. Yes, my country is so good at it, yet I still watch different ties.

Not like it happens every week, for the ones who moan about it. Don't watch it, go watch some other events that are happening during DC weeks.

Caesar1844
04-08-2013, 08:56 AM
I don't understand how anyone can be a tennis fan and not at least care about their own country's DC performance.

DC ties have the best atmosphere in tennis.

niff
04-08-2013, 11:13 AM
I love Davis Cup but I couldn't care less about the GB team :shrug:

Litotes
04-08-2013, 11:20 AM
I don't understand how anyone can be a tennis fan and not at least care about their own country's DC performance.

Not every tennis fan comes from a country with a proper DC team. Speaking of that, how's Tibet doing in DC these days ;)

acionescu
04-08-2013, 12:34 PM
On a side note, dont be fooled, once their own country is eliminated, 90% of watchers lose interest and dont care about the eventual winner. Its all about supporting your Nation. Nothing to see with some illusory "global" or "universal" tennis fandom.

:bs:

I almost never watch Romania in DC but I surelly watch the ties who I think could provide great entertainment for me: always Argentina and Spain, Switzerland, Australia, or the ties that look equilibrated on paper , etc...

August
04-08-2013, 01:03 PM
Nationalism isn't a problem for me in DC. Of course we can be proud of our home countries and cheer for them. Yeah, away crowd can be very hostile but you have home matches too. And I find DC system healthier than e.g. athletics where Bahrain & Qatar buy runners from African countries. And in case of dual citizenships, I believe players are less likely to select the country they represent based on DC success than in football where a player may select the more successful country to win WC, or the less successful to make it even to the team. Also, I wouldn't say DC is the most nationalistic nations' cup. It's not as big thing for people than e.g. FIFA World Cup. And four-man teams make you root more for the players and not only for the nations.

DC not being as big for tennis as e.g. World Cup in football or Olympics in ice hockey has one positive effect. It isn't similarly a must for players. World Cup is a highlight in any footballer's career, yet only a handful of countries can win it. That's the case in DC too. But you really aren't a great player if DC title is your career's highlight.

Punky
04-08-2013, 02:52 PM

Bc I'm a sports fan not Israel fan I don't care about the rest
In a matter of sports I'm not a patriot at all

Caesar1844
04-08-2013, 02:59 PM
Israel has a DC team that plays tough matches. If you like tennis why are you not interested in those?

Punky
04-08-2013, 03:45 PM
Israel has a DC team that plays tough matches. If you like tennis why are you not interested in those?

Bc I don't like teams in tennis, I love it when it's one player v another player

That's one if the reasons why I don't like doubles and one if the reasons why I love tennis at all, it's such an I individual sports, no one can even guide u

One ppl like that some ppl don't..

nolesfan2011
04-08-2013, 05:04 PM

Yea, I'm fully American and I could care less about American tennis, its in the gutter right now and the USTA is a joke. :o

The American Davis Cup team doesn't matter at all to me, I might like the Bryans or Isner or whatever and want to them to win a match, but DC glory is not a priority at all.

Punky
04-08-2013, 06:44 PM
Yea, I'm fully American and I could care less about American tennis, its in the gutter right now and the USTA is a joke. :o

The American Davis Cup team doesn't matter at all to me, I might like the Bryans or Isner or whatever and want to them to win a match, but DC glory is not a priority at all.

i feel the same :hug:

Wing Man Frank
04-08-2013, 06:49 PM
The only people who don't like the Davis Cup are liberal idiots who lack any sort of pride in their nation.

Petronius
04-08-2013, 08:27 PM
It's a unique and special tournament with long tradition. I also like the huge importance of the double's match for the momentum of the tie. Biased and patriotic crowds add additional flavour to the mix as do tactical and surface choices. Moreover, countries that do not host any big tournament have a chance to see their players live against a quality opposition.

samanosuke
04-08-2013, 11:46 PM
nice to know Federer has been posting at this board for two years already .

So Roger are you planning to play Monte Carlo ?

Tag
04-09-2013, 12:00 AM
but fedcrier didn't play davis cup?

choking 2 set leads and blaming fellow countrymen wasn't needed by djokovic or nadal :devil:

but with doggy treats and leashes, one davis cup should have been possible?

apparently not, said fake love hair flickers :o

Kiedis
04-09-2013, 01:39 AM
If I were Dutch neither I would care at all, really.

Orka_n
04-09-2013, 01:41 AM
Davis Cup is unique. The atmosphere, the use of courts that are actually fast, the drama... I can't help but like it.

Alex999
04-10-2013, 12:28 PM
OK you guys are crazy :). DC is so much fun, very unique atmosphere ... crazy crowds. best of 5 ... If you love tennis how can you not love DC? :)

bokehlicious
04-10-2013, 12:31 PM
DC is shite

Cereal Killer
04-10-2013, 12:31 PM
You are not alone. I couldn't care less and always hope my favourites skip it.

Waste of energy and time.

viksanbg
04-04-2014, 11:04 AM
I really don`t like Davis Cup and many of the best players even skip this tournaments.

What is your opinion ?

Hewitt =Legend
04-04-2014, 11:49 AM
Outside of the slams Davis Cup is easily the best tennis out there. Traditionally mental midgets becoming clutch as hell when they play for their countries makes for amazing scenes. Best atmosphere in tennis as well.. If I was a player the DC would be my main goal after the slams..

Slasher1985
04-04-2014, 11:52 AM
Only other competition in tennis besides Slams still being played Best 3 out of 5.

underspin
04-04-2014, 01:35 PM
I do, yes. And what's more, if the Davis Cup didn't exist everyone would want an inter-nation tournament. And I agree with Hewitt=Legend about atmosphere.

niff
04-04-2014, 02:48 PM
DC final is one of the biggest highlights of the season for me.

motorhead
04-04-2014, 02:57 PM
http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=250626&highlight=davis+cup

Julián Santiago
04-04-2014, 03:33 PM
Outside of the slams Davis Cup is easily the best tennis out there. Traditionally mental midgets becoming clutch as hell when they play for their countries makes for amazing scenes. Best atmosphere in tennis as well.. If I was a player the DC would be my main goal after the slams..

:worship::worship::worship:

oranges
04-04-2014, 04:50 PM
DC is the best thing after slams. The best ties are right up with slams, if not better than some.

Fargif
04-04-2014, 05:01 PM
Even in a year without Rafa and Ferrer. Nole is also out, with Troicki and tips. This year alot of guys have decide to take a break.

This week Berdyche and Kei. But if you dont have your national team and love tennis you have to watch it. Aleast you can talk about the vultures deciding to go for a win without competion. Reminds me of the weak era discusions...

Joey Tribbiani
04-04-2014, 05:04 PM
I don't care either.

I only support Roger.

Kowchi
04-04-2014, 05:10 PM
The most interesting part is watching challenger level mugs play like Top Tenners, when playing for their country.

August
04-04-2014, 05:16 PM
DC is probably the only event where you can see top-level tennis on really fast surfaces, even though carpet is banned in the WG.

Hewitt =Legend
04-04-2014, 05:18 PM
The most interesting part is watching challenger level mugs play like Top Tenners, when playing for their country.

Try turning on Stakhovsky Vs Brunstrom right now. An unranked doubles specialist taking the man who defeated Federer at Wimbledon last year deep into the 5th set. Serve-volleying and chipping and charging every point.. Davis Cup you bloody beauty..

Rychu
04-04-2014, 05:19 PM
DC is not my thing

Moonball Pusher
04-04-2014, 05:25 PM
DC is pointless

bokehlicious
04-04-2014, 05:33 PM
I will never care for this borefest.

Honestly
04-04-2014, 05:37 PM
It's the biggest thing Vulture will ever win

Exactly. It's utter garbage in other words. It's an event for vultures like dull who have never won anything that means anything. DC makes me fucking sick.

Chris Kuerten
04-04-2014, 05:40 PM
What a weird coincidence that all Fedtards don't like it :eek:

robbery47
04-04-2014, 05:45 PM
I rather watch Davis Cup with nice atmosphere, emotions and different surfaces than another boring ATP 250 or 500 tournament.
a couple times per year Davis Cup is perfect alternation of regular ATP-tour.

motorhead
Try turning on Stakhovsky Vs Brunstrom right now. An unranked doubles specialist taking the man who defeated Federer at Wimbledon last year deep into the 5th set. Serve-volleying and chipping and charging every point.. Davis Cup you bloody beauty..

Hewitt =Legend
If Rogi had committed to DC during his prime years and Switzerland won then Fedtards would be proclaiming the DC as GOAT. They're a cute little breed aren't they..

TigerTim
04-04-2014, 06:10 PM
I will never care for this borefest.

do you like anything in life?

Slasher1985
04-04-2014, 06:14 PM
There are some Fedfans who have always enjoyed and will always enjoy Davis Cup.;)

Chris Kuerten
04-04-2014, 06:16 PM
There are some Fedfans who have always enjoyed and will always enjoy Davis Cup.;)Hence the slight difference between fans and tards ;)

Cloren
04-04-2014, 06:17 PM
I like the Davis Cup, its something different, it doesn't have the same feel as the other tournaments, different atmosphere, the crowd is great. Its a tournament where you represent your nation, its not individual, its a team event.

SheepleBuster
04-04-2014, 06:17 PM
Del Ray Beach > Davis Cup... you can't refute that argument... Davis Cup used to be prestigious just like the Premiere League was at some time. But now it's the biggest joke on the planet... the only name damaged worse is David Moyes

Slasher1985
04-04-2014, 06:19 PM
Yeah, it's like the Olympics only with much much more tradition concerning the sport of tennis.

Dwight F. Davis may not have won the US Open (Edit: Championships) in 1899, but he sure had a winning idea later in 1900.

Orka_n
04-04-2014, 07:27 PM
What a weird coincidence that all Fedtards don't like it :eek:Wth are you talking about. There are loads of Fedfans on here, of course a few of them will dislike it

samanosuke
04-04-2014, 07:28 PM
Wawrinka approves this thread

sand_wawrinka
04-04-2014, 07:32 PM
Wawrinka approves this thread

Loool

Chris Kuerten
04-04-2014, 07:39 PM
Wth are you talking about. There are loads of Fedfans on here, of course a few of them will dislike it:facepalm:

It's the same as why Fedtards try to downplay the Olympics and why Nadaltards try to downplay the WTF.

Mateya
04-04-2014, 07:46 PM
I'm not a fan either. :zzz:

Players playing for their country is honorable, but tennis is an individual sport. Battles between countries are more suited to football, basketball, etc. I'm also not a fan of doubles.

If was a top 100 WTA player I would play if I really had to. Coming from Slovenia, that would make me our top player together with Hercog so I wouldn't have much choise. :lol:

TigerTim
04-04-2014, 07:47 PM
I'm not a fan either. :zzz:

Players playing for their country is honorable, but tennis is an individual sport. Battles between countries are more suited to football, basketball, etc.

If was a top 100 WTA player I would play if I really had to. Coming from Slovenia, that would make me our top player together with Hercog so I wouldn't have much choise. :lol:

nid

you've only said this because this evening Seppi blew about 300 set points vs. Murray :lol:

Julián Santiago
04-04-2014, 07:49 PM
Davis Cup is fantastic

Mercury
04-04-2014, 07:52 PM
I love DC and this thread is worthless without a poll.

thrust
04-04-2014, 08:02 PM
Davis Cup is fantastic

YES it is, for those who love TENNIS, and not just certain players.

Johnny Groove
04-04-2014, 08:06 PM
I fucking love Davis Cup

Mateya
04-04-2014, 08:09 PM
nid

you've only said this because this evening Seppi blew about 300 set points vs. Murray :lol:

:haha:

No, I didn't even watch this match. From what I just read I think it's even better I didn't. :unsure:

I love tennis and follow all players, but I don't enjoy DC. I guess I'm en exeption then. :shrug:

samanosuke
04-04-2014, 08:15 PM
actually 300 is a pretty good number for Mateya . if Seppi needs 300 set points to possibly get a set it could mean he needs 300 minutes to get something else, in worst case scenario he needs 300 seconds but still more than satisfying number for Mateya

Tiebreak100
04-04-2014, 08:38 PM
I've changed my mind. Although the format is still poor, the drama and tension is awesome.

Obviously the Davis Cup is a small tournament in comparison to the Olympics, but its certainly better than all 250/500 events.

Rychu
04-04-2014, 08:40 PM

:confused::stupid:

Chase Visa
04-05-2014, 12:14 AM
It's surely better than a mug 250, no? Yes it could be better executed, but it's a great experience and it offers something different to most tournaments.

alfonsojose
04-05-2014, 12:32 AM
Aside from the 5 set matches, it sucks. I deeply despise the idea of screaming and insulting others because of "patriotic" feelings

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App (http://www.verticalsports.com/mobile)

redshift36188
04-05-2014, 02:11 AM
Davis Cup is great. It is Bo5 and players play with a lot of heart. What more can you ask for?

The only thing I'd change would be to hold the final in a neutral ground.

Jamvol
04-05-2014, 02:16 AM
Can't say I'm particularly enjoying seeing Murray risk injury on these surfaces that look more like construction sites than tennis courts.

r2473
04-05-2014, 02:40 AM
Am I the only one who doesn't care about the Davis Cup?

You mean besides the players?

Hewitt =Legend
04-05-2014, 03:13 AM
I've changed my mind. Although the format is still poor, the drama and tension is awesome.

Obviously the Davis Cup is a small tournament in comparison to the Olympics, but its certainly better than all 250/500 events.

Right now, the DC has a much richer tradition than the Olympics.

SheepleBuster
04-05-2014, 03:16 AM
Sheeple will always worship nonsensical nationalist competitions. It does not matter whether it is dog fighting or hand ball, just give people a flag, and 99.5% of people will cheer them on. Humanity is really sad... Once again, I am forced to present this

http://i58.tinypic.com/23szv4h.jpg

MrMarble
04-05-2014, 01:03 PM
Although I agree with Einstein in principle... that is one silly quote from the genius... "measles of mankind" - mankind already has measles.

Albert, better would have been something like "rabies of mankind". :p

-

Having said that, Davis Cup is great... where else can you see something like Nadal vs Roddick on clay...

Julián Santiago
04-05-2014, 01:11 PM

Actually, it`s just the contrary. Olympics are still a small tournament. a really minor trophy in tennis history. Davis Cup, on the other hand, is only behind the Slams in terms of history and greatness

MichaelKrep
04-05-2014, 01:12 PM
Yes, you are.

MichaelKrep
04-05-2014, 01:14 PM
Sheeple will always worship nonsensical nationalist competitions. It does not matter whether it is dog fighting or hand ball, just give people a flag, and 99.5% of people will cheer them on. Humanity is really sad... Once again, I am forced to present this

You do know there is a difference between supporting your countrymen/women and being a nationalist?

Words actually have meanings, you know.

Chris Kuerten
04-05-2014, 01:15 PM

Actually, it`s just the contrary. Olympics are still a small tournament. a really minor trophy in tennis history. Davis Cup, on the other hand, is only behind the Slams in terms of history and greatnessHistorically, sure, but there isn't a single player who would rather win the Davis Cup than an Olympic gold medal.

Julián Santiago
04-05-2014, 01:37 PM
Historically, sure, but there isn't a single player who would rather win the Davis Cup than an Olympic gold medal.

I agree with you Crhis, but I`m just sick of these under 15 years old people that thinks that Olympics are like the greatest tournaments of the world and Davis Cup a shitty tournament.

I wonder how they would have tought about OLympics before 2008 when no one top 10 all time great player won there (and I`m not counting Agassi because he was out of focus in 1996)

green25814
04-05-2014, 01:39 PM

Einstein was saying that in response to the 2nd world war and Nazi Europe, a tennis match between two tennis nations does not exactly compare. If he was around today he would laugh at you.

Stop whining about people supporting their country. It will always happen in some way and its better that people let out these feelings through sport than anything else.

MDot
04-05-2014, 01:54 PM
I dont like the Davis Cup in tennis too, but some of the people are starting to be socialists, or even communist because saying that nationalism is the evil is just stupid. and don't talk about nationalism like it has to do anything with nazism or fascism, that's just stupid too.

MrMarble
04-05-2014, 02:15 PM
I wonder how they would have tought about OLympics before 2008 when no one top 10 all time great player won there
Graf, Lenglen, Wills, Doherty...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Olympic_medalists_in_tennis

(and I`m not counting Agassi because he was out of focus in 1996)
Biased much? What a nonsensical argument.

TheRealNumberOne
04-05-2014, 04:06 PM

But in the same interview that I read with him in some old newspaper after he says nationalism is infantile disease Einstein says he's a pride Zionist and believe in Zionism as a mean to express himself. It seems nationalism is bad when it hinders some group goals but is good when it boosts that same group power and self-determination. How ironic and hypocritical.

Honestly
04-05-2014, 04:49 PM
DC is like the WTA. It's not really tennis. It's about as prestigious as ping pong or badminton.

freeandlonely
04-05-2014, 05:05 PM
me too.
OP is wonderful this opinion concerned

MrMarble
04-05-2014, 06:30 PM
DC is like the WTA. It's not really tennis. It's about as prestigious as ping pong or badminton.
And I'm sure Kazakhstan getting 2-1 lead over Switzerland had no influence to your opinion... :rolleyes:

heya
04-05-2014, 07:27 PM
Shame for fed and his propaganda of Davis cup hate and self congratulations.
Davis cup awards points now, so fed can count his few lucky stars, dear.