Who will be the Top 3 of the Main Clay Season? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Who will be the Top 3 of the Main Clay Season?

Dr Mug
04-06-2013, 10:37 AM
ranging from Munich to RG.

It's a tough call because Rafa will be seeded 5th, question mark on Djokos clay form and Murray's showing, but I guess

1. Nadal
2. Djokovic
3. Ferrer

Topspindoctor
04-06-2013, 10:39 AM
1) Nadal
2) Nadal
3) Nadal

Everyone else

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App (http://www.verticalsports.com/mobile)

GSMnadal
04-06-2013, 10:39 AM
1. Nadal

2. Djokovic
3. Clayray 2.0 OBE

Nr 1 Fan
04-06-2013, 10:47 AM
Like always,

1. Nadal
2. Djokovic

3. Murray, Ferrer, Ace Leader, Del Potro

Abel
04-06-2013, 10:54 AM
Nadal will win everything he enters unless Nole stops him :shrug:

After those two, hopefully Delpo but more likely Ferrer and then Clayray.

sportstennis
04-06-2013, 10:56 AM
Nabull

GSMnadal
04-06-2013, 11:12 AM
Will be interesting to see if Federer can maintain his top 8 spot in the race during the clay swing

Timot
04-06-2013, 11:18 AM
Top 3
1. Nadal
2. Djokovic
3. Ferrer

The rest will probably be (though their clay form is still in question):
4. Federer
5. Del Potro
6. Murray

VamosRafaNadal
04-06-2013, 11:44 AM
In my opinion it will be:

1. Nadal
2. Djokovic
3. Between Ferrer, Del Potro, Federer and Murray.

delboy
04-06-2013, 11:47 AM
Nadal
Djoko
Clayray 2.0

Topspindoctor
04-06-2013, 11:49 AM
Nadal
Djoko
Clayray 2.0

We are talking clay court tennis, not haggis eating contest.

Murray=God
04-06-2013, 11:49 AM
Nadal and Djokovic as the best performing are obvious. Would love Andy to land a first clay court title but overall you'd have to back Ferrer over him as the third most consistent performer on the dirt.

Ben D.
04-06-2013, 12:10 PM
Zeballos
Berlocq
Alund

Moozza
04-06-2013, 12:17 PM
Clayray 2.0
Nadal
Djokovic

In that order.

70-68
04-06-2013, 12:24 PM
Nadal
Djokovic

Ferrer, Murray, Federer, Del Potro, Berdych

Schumacher
04-06-2013, 12:56 PM
Nadal
Djokovic

Ferrer, Del Potro
Berdych, Federer
Murray
Almagro

TigerTim
04-06-2013, 01:59 PM
1. Clayray 2.5 OBE/Laureus Edition
2. Nadal
3. Djokovic
4. Ferrer

5. The rest

August
04-06-2013, 02:06 PM
1. Nadal or Djokovic

Then come:

Peak del Potro
Federer
Ferrer
Weak del Potro

Others, including Murray

Certinfy
04-06-2013, 02:08 PM
Nadal
Djokovic
Murray

Javi
04-06-2013, 02:08 PM
1. Rafael
2. Nadal
3. Parera

ProdigyEng
04-06-2013, 02:09 PM
1. Nadal

2. Djokovic
3. Clayray 2.0 OBE

Glad to see you speak sense as usual.

ProdigyEng
04-06-2013, 02:16 PM
1.Nadal.
2.Djoko King
3.Clayray 2.0 OBE

dencod16
04-06-2013, 02:30 PM
Lol Murraytards are raining far and hard now and overtaking MTF. Probably the most delusional of the the 4.

ProdigyEng
04-06-2013, 02:46 PM
Lol Murraytards are raining far and hard now and overtaking MTF. Probably the most delusional of the the 4.

So just because we have confidence in him having a decent clay season we're delusional?

Shut your mouth.

BauerAlmeida
04-06-2013, 02:56 PM
1-Nadal
2-Djokovic
3-Del Potro

Abel
04-06-2013, 03:25 PM

They're pretty hilarious alright.

Mark Lenders
04-06-2013, 03:28 PM
Tough to predict without knowing draws and all but if I had money on it, it'd have to be something like:

1-Ferrer
2-Clayray OBE
3-Tsonga

4-Nadal
5-Djokovic
6-Federer/Del Potro

They're pretty hilarious alright.

Whoever said the quote in your sig is without a doubt the most knowledgeable, insightful and unbiased analyst tennis has ever seen :yeah:

Abel
04-06-2013, 03:42 PM
Whoever said the quote in your sig is without a doubt the most knowledgeable, insightful and unbiased analyst tennis has ever seen :yeah:

:lol: Definitely.

janko05
04-06-2013, 04:30 PM
1.Ralph
2.Bullzilla
3.Bamooos

Stronga23
04-06-2013, 04:34 PM
Watch out for Monfils and Gulbis. They will have good clay seasons and are darkhorses at RG.

Abel
04-06-2013, 04:38 PM
Watch out for Monfils and Gulbis. They will have good clay seasons and are darkhorses at RG.

They are extreme outside bets not dark horses tbf. Someone like Berdych would count as a dark horse.

Stronga23
04-06-2013, 04:41 PM
They are extreme outside bets not dark horses tbf. Someone like Berdych would count as a dark horse.

Monfils has made one SF and two QFs at RG. How is he not a darkhorse?

redshift36188
04-06-2013, 04:52 PM
I think Monfils is done, but Gulbis might become a dark horse, let's see how he does in the following weeks.

vpmrosulate
04-06-2013, 05:03 PM
Honest question, what has Murray done to show he'll have an excellent clay season?

Fedalovic
04-06-2013, 05:06 PM
1 Nadal
2 Djokovic
3 Ferrer

emotion
04-06-2013, 05:08 PM
Federer very iffy this year, I think Ferrer, Berdych, or del Potro (probably Ferrer) might be 3rd as Djokovic and Nadal vie for first. And as always there's the question of whether Mugro-or Wawrinka or Gasquet- can do something with his massive clay potential
Murray has not been too impressive since winning USO, dunno about him

Alex999
04-06-2013, 05:12 PM
1. Nadal
2. Djokovic
3. Federer
I'm not sure why so many guys are placing Ferrer as a sort of #3 clay player in the world and suddenly nobody is talking about Fed. I'm pretty sure that Fed would blow Ferrer off the court. btw, I'm saying this with all respect to Ferrer and his fans.

Also, this Clayray 2.0, I need to see it to believe it :). and yeah, Muzza fans are the most hilarious group on the board right now :clap2:

pepita1964
04-06-2013, 05:27 PM
1. Nadal
2. Djokovic
3. Federer
I'm not sure why so many guys are placing Ferrer as a sort of #3 clay player in the world and suddenly nobody is talking about Fed. I'm pretty sure that Fed would blow Ferrer off the court. btw, I'm saying this with all respect to Ferrer and his fans.

Also, this Clayray 2.0, I need to see it to believe it :). and yeah, Muzza fans are the most hilarious group on the board right now :clap2:

Because Ferrer has a very very good H2H to Federer and Ferrer made so many GS finals so who is Federer really?! He has done nothing :)

Alex999
04-06-2013, 05:34 PM
Because Ferrer has a very very good H2H to Federer and Ferrer made so many GS finals so who is Federer really?! He has done nothing :)
well exactly. I mean Ferrer is a good player but nowhere even close to Fed. Suddenly, everyone here is claiming he is so special on clay. He is good, no question about it, but he simply hasn't done anything really astonishing on clay ... well unless that win against Murray at RG it that counts as 'special'.

Abel
04-06-2013, 05:43 PM
Monfils has made one SF and two QFs at RG. How is he not a darkhorse?

Because it's 2013. He's 99th in the world after almost a year out with injury :lol: It'd take a titanic effort to reach the QF given who he could possibly draw along the way, let alone win the thing.

I think we just have different definitions of a dark horse.

BackhandDTL
04-06-2013, 05:45 PM
Something like:

1) Nadal
2) Djokovic
3) Del Potro
4) Federer
5) Berdych

Followed closely by Ferrer/Murray

Mostly the same as in previous years, only I think Del Potro will probably have a showing at least on par with an ailing Federer. Having put up what he did at IW should give him great confidence.

Berdych, I feel like, has been better than Ferrer on the big clay stage. Only, in his semis two years ago, he ran into a blistering Soderling (took him to 5), and fell short to DP in the R16 last year. With his new found consistency, coupled with his monstrous game on clay, he should do well as long as he isn't burned out.

I'd like Murray to ascend there, but his recent showing on slow hards does not bode well. He'll probably make deep runs, but I can't see him decisively overcoming any of the other big players on the dirt.

Tiebreak100
04-06-2013, 05:47 PM
Nadal
Murray
Del Potro

Timot
04-06-2013, 06:12 PM
1. Nadal
2. Djokovic
3. Federer

I prefer Fed to Ferrer and would like you to be right here, but:
a) Fed plays bad this year, while Ferrer seems to continue his hot 2012 form
b) Clay is a natural environment for David, while it can't be said about Roger
c) Roger won't play as much clay, while Ferrer will play a lot more and with his incredible consistensy it means much. He'll probably reach SF o even F in Monte Carlo in which Fed won't even compete.
Unless they both land in the same part of the draw, Ferrer will probably achieve more on clay.

nole_no1
04-06-2013, 06:16 PM
Nadal and Djokovic will dominate. Del Potro third followed short by Ferrer, followed by a big gap

Moozza
04-06-2013, 07:07 PM
Honest question, what has Murray done to show he'll have an excellent clay season?

Only losing 2 matches all season? Having the best year of all players so far?

ProdigyEng
04-06-2013, 07:23 PM
1. Nadal
2. Djokovic
3. Federer

Show some respect for Murray fans as well if you're gonna show respect to Ferrer fans.

vpmrosulate
04-06-2013, 07:27 PM

Even if all that's true, I said excellent clay season, for someone who loses to Ferrer every time they meet on clay. A convincing start to the year, as far as clay is concerned, would be something like Nadal's performance.

Not to mention that losing 2 matches in just 4 tournaments, though good, isn't exceptionally impressive. Each time Murray lost, Djokovic went one step further than him, so with him and Nadal thrown in, it's not indisputable that Murray is having "the best year of all players so far," though I agree a case can certainly be made, and of course all the credit to him for doing as well as he has.

Alex999
04-06-2013, 07:40 PM
Show some respect for Murray fans as well if you're gonna show respect to Ferrer fans.
All of respect to Andy fans bud. it's just that there are a few of them who are simply out of this world. I won't name them but everyone knows who they are. I was kinda j/k btw ;). Muzza hooligans are the best :worship:.

hipolymer
04-06-2013, 07:45 PM

are you on crack boy? Who's leading the race? Who won a slam?

Moozza
04-06-2013, 07:48 PM
Even if all that's true, I said excellent clay season, for someone who loses to Ferrer every time they meet on clay. A convincing start to the year, as far as clay is concerned, would be something like Nadal's performance.

Not to mention that losing 2 matches in just 4 tournaments, though good, isn't exceptionally impressive. Each time Murray lost, Djokovic went one step further than him, so with him and Nadal thrown in, it's not indisputable that Murray is having "the best year of all players so far," though I agree a case can certainly be made, and of course all the credit to him for doing as well as he has.

Murray is second in the race, only just behind Djokovic, despite having played less tournaments than everyone else. That makes him the real #1 in the race in my book.

Also Clay is probably faster than Miami was, that will help Murray.
are you on crack boy? Who's leading the race? Who won a slam?

As I said above we all know who is really leading the race. Also tennis is about more than the slams.

hipolymer
04-06-2013, 07:50 PM
Also tennis is about more than the slams.

:spit:

MrPlateperson
04-06-2013, 07:53 PM
1. Not federer
2. Not federer
3. Not federer

Old mans career is pretty much done on clay.

Dangermouse
04-06-2013, 07:54 PM
Nadal
Djokovic
Ferrer

I hope Murray can get to the semi in RG though, I wish he'd play a few 250's or something on clay, get that "first clay title" off his back.

IMO
Casablanca - Melzer
Houston - Monaco
Monte Carlo - Nadal
Barcelona - Nadal
Bucharest - Fognini
Portugal - Monaco
Munich - Haas
Madrid - Nadal
Rome - Djokovic
Dusseldorf - Almagro
Nice - Simon
Roland Garros - Nadal

Picked Nadal to lose only once, in Rome.

ProdigyEng
04-06-2013, 07:54 PM
Murray is second in the race, only just behind Djokovic, despite having played less tournaments than everyone else. That makes him the real #1 in the race in my book.

As I said above we all know who is really leading the race. Also tennis is about more than the slams.

Djoko King leads the race, he is the real #1 in the race.

Droog
04-06-2013, 07:59 PM
All of respect to Andy fans bud. it's just that there are a few of them who are simply out of this world. I won't name them but everyone knows who they are. I was kinda j/k btw ;). Muzza hooligans are the best :worship:.

To be fair every fanbase has these sort of fans.

vpmrosulate
04-06-2013, 08:05 PM

Oh what a typical statement by a Murray fan. Funny that they're the same group that loves to call him Slamray now that he has one. So are they a game-changing deal or are they not, or do people just flip-flop depending on if it's favorable at the moment?

Like I said, the Race is definitely one way to look at it, but Murray doesn't have the fewest losses this year, and nor can it be said that people haven't been outplaying him multiple times. Believe whatever works for "your book," but it's unrealistic to present that as an objective and indisputable conclusion.

vpmrosulate
04-06-2013, 08:09 PM
Nadal
Djokovic
Ferrer

I hope Murray can get to the semi in RG though, I wish he'd play a few 250's or something on clay, get that "first clay title" off his back.

IMO
Casablanca - Melzer
Houston - Monaco
Monte Carlo - Nadal
Barcelona - Nadal
Bucharest - Fognini
Portugal - Monaco
Munich - Haas
Madrid - Nadal
Rome - Djokovic
Dusseldorf - Almagro
Nice - Simon
Roland Garros - Nadal

Picked Nadal to lose only once, in Rome.

Del Popetro to win Rome.:devil: Wait, no, I meant :angel:

But on a more serious note, he still has a chance at defending his Estoril title, no?

Dangermouse
04-06-2013, 08:15 PM

But on a more serious note, he still has a chance at defending his Estoril title, no?

Del Potro is hot favourite for Estoril, just had to pick a few upsets.

Mark Lenders
04-06-2013, 08:17 PM

Not with Monaco around, he doesn't :scared:

Johnny Groove
04-06-2013, 08:18 PM
Nadal

Djokovic

The rest

DDRickyDD
04-06-2013, 08:28 PM
1. Djokovic
2. Nadal
3. Federer

janko05
04-06-2013, 08:48 PM
Also tennis is about more than the slams.

nuff said :worship:

lucyfur
04-06-2013, 09:03 PM
Wasn't Miami slower than clay last year too? :scratch:

Sri
04-06-2013, 09:21 PM
Djokovic
Nadal
Fed / DelPo

Tiebreak100
04-06-2013, 11:15 PM
Djoko King leads the race, he is the real #1 in the race.

Only because of brutal blisters for Andy in the Aussie Open.

ProdigyEng
04-06-2013, 11:19 PM
Only because of brutal blisters for Andy in the Aussie Open.

Andy only has himself to blame for that. Shouldn't of took so long to put Federer away.

Tiebreak100
04-06-2013, 11:26 PM
Andy only has himself to blame for that. Shouldn't of took so long to put Federer away.

Yeh, I would accept that point. Murray should have straight setted the Swiss. Still though, considering he won every other match prior in routine fashion, it was really unfortunate that he got that on his foot. It was not even a normal blister, it was an absolute beast. Once the Serb levelled the match it was over.

This point is obviously not directed at you, but just because Murray does not have an outstanding pedigree on clay does not mean that it will not change. The man works so hard, and it would be foolish to write him off. I expect at least a clay court final this year for the Scot.

Honestly
04-06-2013, 11:27 PM
Roger has never lost to Vulture on clay.

Timot
04-06-2013, 11:46 PM
It seems to be mostly a headcase so in order to brake Murray's clay impotence he needs to be upgraded by Lendl like when he upgraded him to Slamray:
Murray 1.0 < Slamray << Clayray

It won't be easy though.

cocrcici
04-06-2013, 11:54 PM
Nadal
Nole
Raonic

Chase Visa
04-07-2013, 12:06 AM
Nadal
Djokovic
Del Potro

Federer won't do much outside of Madrid, Murray will be better than last year, Ferrer to continue to do what he does, Berdych to go decent, and there'll be a dark horse run from someone like Wawrinka or Gulbis.

fedalrock
04-07-2013, 06:37 AM
Nadal
Djokovic
Federer/Murrray
Federer/Murray
Ferrer

rob_z
04-07-2013, 08:09 AM
1 Nadal
2 Djokovic
3 Federer
4 Ferrer
5 Del Potro
6 Murray
7 Isner

It will also depend on the draws. Who is on Nadals side is doomed.:devil:
Federer hasn't won anything big for some time. I expect that he will improve. If he avoids Nadal in the draws he might reach some finals. Than in the final he will still lose against Nadal :wavey:
Only player that might trouble Nadal on clay is Nole playing at 2011 level. And than still Nadal should not play his best himself.
Isner might do some damage if he somehow reaches a first serve percentage of 300%.:p

chalkdust
04-07-2013, 09:47 AM
I think we will see Roger do a lot better over the clay season than so far this year, but he will no doubt still be behind Rafa and Nole.

Murray I think will have his usual clay season, but may at least benefit from better draws this year (if he misses Rafa in the QFs). I just don't see how his clay game can be expected to have improved. His lack of penetration on clay is not just a mental thing.

Ferrer, del Potro and Berdych will probably all do better than Murray, if they stay fit.

Topspindoctor
04-07-2013, 10:51 AM
Lol at people thinking Shitro can threaten Nadal on clay :lol:

vpmrosulate
04-07-2013, 06:48 PM
Lol at people thinking Shitro can threaten Nadal on clay :lol:

He won't be a threat, but he won't always be straight-setted either. Unlike some people. :angel:

Rychu
04-07-2013, 06:52 PM
I think we will see Roger do a lot better over the clay season than so far this year, but he will no doubt still be behind Rafa and Nole.

Murray I think will have his usual clay season, but may at least benefit from better draws this year (if he misses Rafa in the QFs). I just don't see how his clay game can be expected to have improved. His lack of penetration on clay is not just a mental thing.

Ferrer, del Potro and Berdych will probably all do better than Murray, if they stay fit.

It can't get any worse can it? He will improve no doubt.

ciprianned
04-07-2013, 06:53 PM
1. Nadal
2. Djokovic
3. Ferrer

Roy Emerson
04-07-2013, 11:01 PM
Nadal
Djokovic
Del Potro

deyaT87
04-08-2013, 12:30 AM
Nadal
Djokovic (if injury is not serious)
Third place has a lot of candidates :)

SheepleBuster
04-08-2013, 12:32 AM
1. Nadal
2. Del Potro
3. Ferrer
4. Federer
5. the rest of the field really

Kyle_Johansen
04-08-2013, 04:56 AM
Ferrer will only have a better clay season than Fed because he'll play more. But Federer can actually win a clay event (Madrid), and I can't see Ferrer winning MC, Barcelona, Madrid, or Rome. Fed also has a better shot at RG than Ferrer too.

vpmrosulate
04-08-2013, 05:22 AM
Ferrer will only have a better clay season than Fed because he'll play more. But Federer can actually win a clay event (Madrid), and I can't see Ferrer winning MC, Barcelona, Madrid, or Rome. Fed also has a better shot at RG than Ferrer too.

Will Fed still win when Madrid isn't blue clay anymore?

Kyle_Johansen
04-08-2013, 05:42 AM
Will Fed still win when Madrid isn't blue clay anymore?

He did in 2009 and reached the final in 2010 and semifinaled in 2012. It's his best clay surface.

Ivelina_P
04-08-2013, 07:10 AM
Federer is an enigma at this point.Really poor start of the year by his stadarts which caused a major stir in the MTF and writing him off.It's overreacting at best.
I think Nadal having almost no rivals on clay is a constant now,but Djokovic will also be able to win a title(not RG).
I just realized that Murray IS going to win a clay title after all.He can enter a Rafa-free 250...preferably Ferrer-free too.

madmax
04-08-2013, 07:30 AM
Warlocq
Alessio Di Mauro
Fognini

the holy trinity of clay gods:bowdown:

Litotes
04-08-2013, 07:39 AM
Federer is an enigma at this point.Really poor start of the year by his stadarts which caused a major stir in the MTF and writing him off.It's overreacting at best.
I think Nadal having almost no rivals on clay is a constant now,but Djokovic will also be able to win a title(not RG).
I just realized that Murray IS going to win a clay title after all.He can enter a Rafa-free 250...preferably Ferrer-free too.

Doesn't look like he's going to do that:
http://www.murraysworld.com/schedule/
Besides, it would hardly have been a sure win. Last year Murray lost to Berdych, Raonic, Gasquet and Ferrer in his four clay tournaments. He never reached the big-3.

paseo
04-08-2013, 07:56 AM
He did in 2009 and reached the final in 2010 and semifinaled in 2012. It's his best clay surface.

Nope. That's Hamburg, where he once bageled Nadal.

Litotes
04-08-2013, 08:02 AM
Nope. That's Hamburg, where he once bageled Nadal.

You're probably right, but he no longer plays Hamburg since they demoted it. Imagine if they had kept Hamburg a Masters, only non-mandatory, and made Monte Carlo into what Hamburg is now instead?

nazzac
04-08-2013, 09:15 AM
1-Nadal
2-Djokovic
3-Del Potro

Yeah, pretty much this for me. People forget that Del Potro is a very good clay courter himself.

Dangermouse
04-08-2013, 09:19 AM

I personally think that if we ranked all the players in the world solely by how good they are on clay, Murray might sit near the back end of the top 10, maybe the teens.

His big problem is he's too stubborn to play any clay events other than RG, and the 3 masters 1000 events.

I'd love Andy to find his feet by playing more clay events.

forehandluva
04-08-2013, 10:11 AM
with djokovic looking like hes out i fully expect federer to step up and be nadals main challange on clay courts, however ferrer may get more ranking points than federer on clay that will be from the amount of clay tournements he plays. all this is hypothetical as it will need federer and nadal to be on opposite sides of the draw at each tournement. by the french open though it will be between djokovic and nadal again though, i hope someone stops nadal in a couple of the build up tournements because if not he will be unstopable again.

GSMnadal
04-08-2013, 10:15 AM
with djokovic looking like hes out i fully expect federer to step up and be nadals main challange on clay courts, however ferrer may get more ranking points than federer on clay that will be from the amount of clay tournements he plays. all this is hypothetical as it will need federer and nadal to be on opposite sides of the draw at each tournement. by the french open though it will be between djokovic and nadal again though, i hope someone stops nadal in a couple of the build up tournements because if not he will be unstopable again.

Thanks for the laugh.

First of all, Djokovic doesn't look out, we don't know anything yet. He may miss MC, but I doubt he'll miss much more. Let's wait the scan results first.

And if Federer is Nadal's main challenge on clay this year, we may as well skip it and play Wimbledon.

TigerTim
04-08-2013, 10:19 AM
Thanks for the laugh.

First of all, Djokovic doesn't look out, we don't know anything yet. He may miss MC, but I doubt he'll miss much more. Let's wait the scan results first.

And if Federer is Nadal's main challenge on clay this year, we may as well skip it and play Wimbledon.

As nice as it would be to skip the clay season if we play Wimbledon right now in 8C and driving rain it would take months to complete. As much as I dislike watching Nadal pimp slap his bitches in Monte Carlo and Paris even that is preferable to watching John MugEnroe and Lindsey Davenport ramble on about the quality of pears at the BBC table while Henman does his best "retarded squirrel" impression in a attempt to look interested.

GSMnadal
04-08-2013, 10:47 AM
As nice as it would be to skip the clay season if we play Wimbledon right now in 8C and driving rain it would take months to complete. As much as I dislike watching Nadal pimp slap his bitches in Monte Carlo and Paris even that is preferable to watching John MugEnroe and Lindsey Davenport ramble on about the quality of pears at the BBC table while Henman does his best "retarded squirrel" impression in a attempt to look interested.

Don't forget Greg Rusedski, the highlight of every Wimbledon.