DC QF: Seppi def. Pospisil 5-7 4-6 6-4 6-3 6-3 (ITA 1-0 CAN) [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

DC QF: Seppi def. Pospisil 5-7 4-6 6-4 6-3 6-3 (ITA 1-0 CAN)

Action Jackson
04-06-2013, 12:27 AM
Vital win for Seppi, he had his customary slow start but the sexiness of the South Tyrolean got him over the line.

He even served out the match easily.

ProdigyEng
04-06-2013, 12:28 AM
Good for Mateya.

caisenma
04-06-2013, 12:29 AM
Tough one to lose after such a strong start...

The Prince
04-06-2013, 12:29 AM
Pospisil didn't really deserve the two-sets-to-love lead for a start, so this is the right result.

The Canadian went missing in the fourth and fifth set, he didn't create a single break point opportunity.

Good win for Seppi, lays down the foundations for Fognini to hopefully steal a point and finish this tie on day one.

Vinceremo
04-06-2013, 12:34 AM
:smoke:

now i'm relieved, this could've been almost a career changing defeat for Andreas with the way things were going the first two sets. as usual, he was extremely nervous for the first hour of play, lots of silly mistakes and playing very 'tied up', without being able to relax and let his groundstrokes flow.

fitness did it in the end too and that's big for his expectations on these type of matches, when his game isn't clicking he has the ability to fight through some difficult stages and ultimately outlast these type of opponents.

not impressed by his performance, but happy he got the job done. Huge win, like every must-win one.

FORZA ITALIA!!

Action Jackson
04-06-2013, 12:38 AM
Second time that Seppi has come back from 0-2 down in Davis Cup.

http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Andreas+Seppi+Fila+Fashion+Show+2F0S9AJin4hx.jpg

Blue Heart24
04-06-2013, 12:39 AM
Pospisil didn't really deserve the two-sets-to-love lead for a start, so this is the right result.

The Canadian went missing in the fourth and fifth set, he didn't create a single break point opportunity.

Good win for Seppi, lays down the foundations for Fognini to hopefully steal a point and finish this tie on day one.

Pospisil did deserve to be 2 sets up,he played solid tennis and Seppi was terrible,luckily he picked it up and played ok for the rest of the match.
:spit: Mugnini isn't beating Raonic.This tie depends on doubles,which I think Canada will take.

156mphserve
04-06-2013, 12:40 AM
sucks to lose that after having a 2 set lead.

Doesn't really change anything though, expected result. Doubles will likely decide. And even if we don't get that we have a chance in the 5th rubber.

The Prince
04-06-2013, 12:43 AM
Pospisil did deserve to be 2 sets up,he played solid tennis and Seppi was terrible,luckily he picked it up and played ok for the rest of the match.
:spit: Mugnini isn't beating Raonic.This tie depends on doubles,which I think Canada will take.

On the balance if play, the first two sets should have been split. Yes, Seppi was playing messily, but Pospisil wasn't doing anything special as you say, he was just 'solid'. First set in particular should have gone to the Italian.

:lol: I said 'hopefully' Fognini beats Raonic, it wasn't a prediction of any kind like you are making it out to be. :)

nellis_lv
They should put Levine against Fognini if it goes to a live 5th.

Tough loss to recover from.

Vinceremo

dude, Fognini's level of inspiration this weekend is the 'x factor' here and what will determine this tie's fate.

you do have a solid point regarding saturday though.

Snowwy
04-06-2013, 12:46 AM
Pospisil appeared to get tired after the second set. Just a different man in the 3rd set.

Blue Heart24
04-06-2013, 01:01 AM
On the balance if play, the first two sets should have been split. Yes, Seppi was playing messily, but Pospisil wasn't doing anything special as you say, he was just 'solid'. First set in particular should have gone to the Italian.

:lol: I said 'hopefully' Fognini beats Raonic, it wasn't a prediction of any kind like you are making it out to be. :)

Pospisil was serving well and taking advantage of what Seppi was gifting him.
In the third set once Seppi got it together,he was in control and that was it.

dude, Fognini's level of inspiration this weekend is the 'x factor' here and what will determine this tie's fate.

you do have a solid point regarding saturday though.

On this court even if Fognini is inspired he might take a set of Raonic but that should be it.As for the reverse singles,he is the fav but you can't take anything for granted with him.

Vinceremo
04-06-2013, 01:05 AM
On this court even if Fognini is inspired he might take a set of Raonic but that should be it.As for the reverse singles,he is the fav but you can't take anything for granted with him.

I mainly meant 'inspired' in order to carry old Bracciali in the doubles on sat :p hopefully he can trouble Raonic, but unlikely being realistic..

Blue Heart24
04-06-2013, 01:07 AM
I mainly meant 'inspired' in order to carry old Bracciali in the doubles on sat :p hopefully he can trouble Raonic, but unlikely being realistic..

Shame Bracciali stopped playing singles long ago,loved the match against Karlovic in Wimbledon :lol:

Popo21
04-06-2013, 01:12 AM
I didn't like them playing Pospisil over Levine in the singles. Pospisil has been sick and generally unfit this year, down 10 pounds due to mono. He also hasn't played a best of 5 match in 2 years and just faded down the stretch.

I found it hilarious that the Canadian commentators said Pospisil was looking to drop weight anyway coming into this year. The guy is like 6'4 and 170 pounds

sdmartin
04-06-2013, 01:31 AM
I didn't like them playing Pospisil over Levine in the singles. Pospisil has been sick and generally unfit this year, down 10 pounds due to mono. He also hasn't played a best of 5 match in 2 years and just faded down the stretch.

I found it hilarious that the Canadian commentators said Pospisil was looking to drop weight anyway coming into this year. The guy is like 6'4 and 170 pounds
Exactly. Bad decision. We need Vasek fresh for key doubles tomorrow.

Chase Visa
04-06-2013, 01:43 AM
Honestly the fact that Seppi struggled against Vasek is not great for Italy. Still probably comes down to the doubles though.

156mphserve
04-06-2013, 01:44 AM
looked like a good decision for about a hour and a half though.

I still would have had Vasek play, given his history at home against Seppi. The odd of it going that long were slim. But I can understand those who would have played Levine.

Snowwy
04-06-2013, 02:34 AM
I really think that ML has improved significantly as a captain in the last year or so.

156mphserve
04-06-2013, 02:50 AM
I really think that ML has improved significantly as a captain in the last year or so.

That always easier when you have better players so you're winning a lot.

Though I haven't really seen any decisions that I was 100% against but for the most part he hasn't made a whole lot of difficult decisions.

He last stupid decision was Milos over Vasek in French doubles, he hasn't had a lot of hard ones since then.

nellis_lv
04-06-2013, 03:05 AM

I still would have had Vasek play, given his history at home against Seppi. The odd of it going that long were slim. But I can understand those who would have played Levine.

Against Seppi, Vasek was the right decision.

His game matches up well against Seppi, for some reason.

Against Fognini, I think Levine has a much better shot.

sdmartin
04-06-2013, 03:13 AM

Reason I disagree with decision is that both Vasek & Levine probably had relatively low chances of winning against Seppi in a 3-out-of-5. Even if (for arguments sake) we improve our odds by 10% with Vasek, we still probably lose. With Bolelli out, our best shot of the 3 non-Milos rubbers is the doubles. That one has a very good chance of going 4 or 5 sets ... if the doubles is a long, hard fought affair, Vasek's fatigue may become a factor.

But us arm chair captains always make great decisions after the fact :-)

Anyways, good to see that Vasek is back playing at a relatively high level.

Alex999
04-06-2013, 03:16 AM
this sucks. I think Raonic should have played the first match but whatever. Go Canada :aparty::cheerleader::cheerleader::cheerleader:

Snowwy
04-06-2013, 03:17 AM
this sucks. I think Raonic should have played the first match but whatever. Go Canada :aparty::cheerleader::cheerleader::cheerleader:

Huh?

Snowwy
04-06-2013, 03:18 AM
That always easier when you have better players so you're winning a lot.

Though I haven't really seen any decisions that I was 100% against but for the most part he hasn't made a whole lot of difficult decisions.

He last stupid decision was Milos over Vasek in French doubles, he hasn't had a lot of hard ones since then.

We used to spend DC weekend reaming him on here a few years ago, when we were playing on clay in South America, can't remember if that was before you were here or not.

156mphserve
04-06-2013, 03:28 AM
We used to spend DC weekend reaming him on here a few years ago, when we were playing on clay in South America, can't remember if that was before you were here or not.

yeah I wa here way back when he made terible decision after terrible decision.

He has gotten better but really with the team we have now it's almost hard to make bad decisions.

Vasek/Nestor for doubles. Milos for singles. The only real decision is who plays the other singles and that's only became a decision now that we have Levine. In the last 4 or 5 ties there really hasn't been a tough decision besides the moronic decision ML made to play Milos in doubles

So while he has improved I would say most of it is a result of the decisions being easier.

Kyle_Johansen
04-06-2013, 04:16 AM
The doubles should decide it. If Canada wins tomorrow, then Raonic should beat Seppi.

Ashlar77
04-06-2013, 04:28 AM
Vashy :(

MuzzahLovah
04-06-2013, 04:28 AM
Gutted for popsicke, he won the first set in impressive fashion I'm sad he couldn't close it out

MaratandMilos
04-06-2013, 04:59 AM
Pospisil is such a waste of potential. Top 50 talent, but the mind isn't there. At least not yet, anyway. Tie likely comes down to doubles, as it's hard to see Seppi upsetting Milos on these courts. Levine is definitely getting the 5th match at this point now too.

Kyle_Johansen
04-06-2013, 05:20 AM
Vasek's athleticism is surprising for a guy his size. He slides around the court like he's Monfils.

*Jean*
04-06-2013, 07:40 AM
Andreas :yeah: phew

Nole Rules
04-06-2013, 10:18 AM
Great result.

Mateya
04-06-2013, 10:44 AM
:cheerleader::banana: :rocker2:

http://www4.slikomat.com/13/0406/f9l-Sepps2.jpg (http://www.Slikomat.com/slika/5454715.htm)