DC 2013, Group II Asia/Oceania (R2) : what happened between Pakistan and New-Zeland ? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

DC 2013, Group II Asia/Oceania (R2) : what happened between Pakistan and New-Zeland ?

Adri89
04-05-2013, 05:31 PM
Wtf happened here ??

http://www.daviscup.com/en/draws-results/tie/details.aspx?tieId=100019523

:confused::confused:

Has someone some informations ?
Pakistan started well with the upset of Khan over Sitak, they had a good chance to win...

Dangermouse
04-05-2013, 05:37 PM
Unplayable court in Myanmar.

(Why were they playing in Myanmar?)

Nixer
04-05-2013, 05:39 PM
Lol, so why did Pakistan get defaulted? They were already playing on a neutral venue.

Unplayable court in Myanmar.

(Why were they playing in Myanmar?)

I think ITF has some security concerns with Pakistan.

CooCooCachoo
04-05-2013, 05:50 PM
Lol, so why did Pakistan get defaulted? They were already playing on a neutral venue.

I think ITF has some security concerns with Pakistan.

Pakistan bears responsibility for selecting the neutral venue and therefore is culpable.

http://www.thenewstribe.com/2013/04/05/pakistan-team-protest-as-referee-declares-court-unfit-awards-davis-cup-tie-to-new-zealand/

Also an article on the quality of the courts prior to the matches: http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/tennis/8511310/Court-not-up-to-scratch-for-NZ-Davis-Cup-tie

Adri89
04-05-2013, 05:51 PM
Ok thanks, I forgot that this match wasn't scheduled in Pakistan.
It's strange they get defaulted because the courts are unplayable if they had not the choice of where the match would be played...

CooCooCachoo
04-05-2013, 05:54 PM
Ok thanks, I forgot that this match wasn't scheduled in Pakistan.
It's strange they get defaulted because the courts are unplayable if they had not the choice of where the match would be played...

They did have a choice though. For security reasons they had to move it outside of Pakistan, but they were free to choose both the venue and the surface. They wanted to play on grass and clearly chose a subpar venue, so the blame lies with them.

It's unfortunate as they seemed to be heading towards the upset.

Nixer
04-05-2013, 06:19 PM
Pakistan bears responsibility for selecting the neutral venue and therefore is culpable.

http://www.thenewstribe.com/2013/04/05/pakistan-team-protest-as-referee-declares-court-unfit-awards-davis-cup-tie-to-new-zealand/

Also an article on the quality of the courts prior to the matches: http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/tennis/8511310/Court-not-up-to-scratch-for-NZ-Davis-Cup-tie

Yeah, I wouldn't really trust an article that says "it will make it tougher to win a tie that the Kiwis should take comfortably". :lol:

CooCooCachoo
04-05-2013, 06:27 PM
Yeah, I wouldn't really trust an article that says "it will make it tougher to win a tie that the Kiwis should take comfortably". :lol:

I think the problem here is with your reading comprehension rather than with the article (or the reasoning of the Kiwi captain). The point is that the quality of the court - with odd bounces etc. - is such that it masks the difference in quality of the players; the court serves as a leveler, whereas on any normal court New Zealand should sail smoothly past the Pakistani team. Whether this last point is true or not - I think it is rather exaggerated - it is true that poor grass courts make for a more level playing field. (No pun intended)

The Prince
04-05-2013, 06:29 PM
They were going to lose it on a proper court, so I don't blame them for trying to stage the tie on a mud bath, if it increased their chances of winning. :yeah:

Nixer
04-05-2013, 06:34 PM
I think the problem here is with your reading comprehension rather than with the article (or the reasoning of the Kiwi captain). The point is that the quality of the court - with odd bounces etc. - is such that it masks the difference in quality of the players; the court serves as a leveler, whereas on any normal court New Zealand should sail smoothly past the Pakistani team. Whether this last point is true or not - I think it is rather exaggerated - it is true that poor grass courts make for a more level playing field. (No pun intended)

I think your brain might be a problem here. Sitak shouldn't be a favourite against either Qureshi or Khan, 50-50 at max. Kiwis are clear underdogs in doubles, and King-Turner was not 100% to win both singles. And that's on a normal grass court, noone was getting advantage from these crappy courts.

The Prince
04-05-2013, 06:38 PM
What? Khan was a clear underdog in both singles matches. Qureshi used to be a good singles player, but he's an unknown quantity in that form these days. Only rubber I saw the Pakistanis winning was the doubles.

Nixer
04-05-2013, 06:44 PM
What? Khan was a clear underdog in both singles matches. Qureshi used to be a good singles player, but he's an unknown quantity in that form these days. Only rubber I saw the Pakistanis winning was the doubles.

That's not considering the grass surface, Pakis can play on much higher level on grass. And how can they get an advantage from these courts if they didn't practise on it more than Kiwis and Qureshi just came from Miami?

It looks very fishy that Kiwis started complaining about the courts only 1 rubber down and half-way losing the second.

ProdigyEng
04-05-2013, 06:48 PM
Could they have picked a venue any where in the world?

CooCooCachoo
04-05-2013, 06:50 PM
I think your brain might be a problem here. Sitak shouldn't be a favourite against either Qureshi or Khan, 50-50 at max. Kiwis are clear underdogs in doubles, and King-Turner was not 100% to win both singles. And that's on a normal grass court, noone was getting advantage from these crappy courts.

Aqeel Khan a favorite against anyone :rolls: Nice try.

http://www.itftennis.com/procircuit/players/player/profile.aspx?PlayerID=10022326

Also, Marcus Daniell is a good doubles player. Qureshi alone does not make New Zealand "clear underdogs in doubles".

CooCooCachoo
04-05-2013, 06:53 PM
That's not considering the grass surface, Pakis can play on much higher level on grass. And how can they get an advantage from these courts if they didn't practise on it more than Kiwis and Qureshi just came from Miami?

It looks very fishy that Kiwis started complaining about the courts only 1 rubber down and half-way losing the second.

Grass should suit the New Zealand team too :rolleyes:

Khan gains advantage from the court because it turns the match into more of a lottery, as more points are decided at random. On a normal court the odds would be strongly in Sitak's favor. This is simple logic.

You are inferring that the Kiwis a) didn't complain prior to the match or at any point in the first match or earlier on in the second match, and b) that they even complained at all. Neither inference is warranted on the basis of the link I posted, but perhaps you have some evidence you want to share with us.

motorhead
04-05-2013, 06:55 PM
would have loved to see those matches.

Nixer
04-05-2013, 07:00 PM
Grass should suit the New Zealand team too :rolleyes:

Khan gains advantage from the court because it turns the match into more of a lottery, as more points are decided at random. On a normal court the odds would be strongly in Sitak's favor. This is simple logic.

You are inferring that the Kiwis a) didn't complain prior to the match or at any point in the first match or earlier on in the second match, and b) that they even complained at all. Neither inference is warranted on the basis of the link I posted, but perhaps you have some evidence you want to share with us.

Well, they might have complained before, but it's not like the duration of complains finally persuaded officials - that doesn't happen. The serious complains could have started at that point - like refusing to play or something. The fact that it happened so late in the tie sounds fishy to me. Although it's certainly possible that the court just "broke apart" at that minute.

CooCooCachoo
04-05-2013, 07:48 PM
Well, they might have complained before, but it's not like the duration of complains finally persuaded officials - that doesn't happen. The serious complains could have started at that point - like refusing to play or something. The fact that it happened so late in the tie sounds fishy to me. Although it's certainly possible that the court just "broke apart" at that minute.

Two new articles:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/tennis/8516921/New-Zealand-awarded-Davis-Cup-tie-in-Myanmar
http://tribune.com.pk/story/531569/referee-gifts-davis-cup-tie-to-nz/

Apparently the court didn't just 'break down', since the hole in question was there in the Khan-Sitak match.

But New Zealand didn't complain. Says the team's captain:

"We weren't the ones complaining. It was totally the referee's decision."

latso
04-05-2013, 09:49 PM
tbh the Pakis make a good point by asking why it was all cool for the first match and suddenly it's decided on the trailing team's advantage...

This was a won match for the Pakis as it looks to me.

Mr.Michael
04-05-2013, 11:55 PM
This sounds like a great grass court. Wimbledon should be played on something similar. The draw would have some nice upsets.

Adri89
04-06-2013, 06:20 PM
Pakistan complains about his disqualification :

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/04/06/us-tennis-davis-pakistan-idUSBRE93508B20130406

Boreas
04-06-2013, 09:11 PM
It's 2013, can we see the pics of the courts?:rolleyes:

nolesfan2011
04-06-2013, 09:47 PM
And this kind of stuff is why Davis Cup is kind of a lulzfest at this point :banghead: why even field a team if you can't pick a suitable venue?

Auscon
04-07-2013, 04:15 AM
It's 2013, can we see the pics of the courts?:rolleyes:

http://chestofbooks.com/food/ingredients/Potato-Compilation/images/Potato-field-at-Mt-Sopris-Farm.jpg

http://resources0.news.com.au/images/2013/04/07/1226614/183368-aqeel-khan.jpg
http://www.foxsports.com.au/tennis/new-zealand-awarded-davis-cup-tie-against-pakistan-due-to-unplayable-surface-in-myanmar/story-e6frf4mu-1226614182977#.UWDkTZOwB8E

Kyle_Johansen
04-07-2013, 04:27 AM
Has something like this ever happened before?

fedalrock
04-07-2013, 07:53 AM
Could they have picked a venue any where in the world?

Precisely what I want to know too. Why did they choose a court in a non-tennis playing country like Myanmar?:confused: There are plenty of grass courts around the world.:o

New Zealands complaints look suspicious though, since they had lost the first rubber and were gonna lose the second as well.:devil:

dencod16
04-07-2013, 08:24 AM
Precisely what I want to know too. Why did they choose a court in a non-tennis playing country like Myanmar?:confused: There are plenty of grass courts around the world.:o

New Zealands complaints look suspicious though, since they had lost the first rubber and were gonna lose the second as well.:devil:

I think only in Asia. There choices were India, Dubai, and Myanmar, don't know if it was theirs though.

Boreas
04-07-2013, 09:15 AM
That court looks far better than the sand pit called grass in Newport last year, or WTA Birmingham a few years ago...

Pakistan obviously robbed.

atennisfan
04-07-2013, 10:48 AM
Who was the genius who decided to play in Myanmar?

Myanmar unilaterally scrapped tennis from Southeast Asian Games long ago when they are hosting this year's Games, for the very reason they don't have any tennis facility.

Brit Tennis Fan
04-07-2013, 02:13 PM
Precisely what I want to know too. Why did they choose a court in a non-tennis playing country like Myanmar?:confused:

Myanmar is hosting the Asia/Oceania group 3 matches (29th April - 5th May) and group 4 matches (22nd April - 28th April) albeit not at this venue.

atennisfan
04-07-2013, 04:15 PM
Myanmar is hosting the Asia/Oceania group 3 matches (29th April - 5th May) and group 4 matches (22nd April - 28th April) albeit not at this venue.

And who was the genius that gave the right to Myanmar to host Davis Cup matches when Myanmar themselves decided to get rid of tennis from this year's SEA Games just because they don't have tennis facilities?