Dimitrov or Tomic:Who will break top-20 First and when? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Dimitrov or Tomic:Who will break top-20 First and when?

fedalrock
04-03-2013, 08:15 PM
Since these two are the most promising youngsters of the next generation,who do you think will crack the Top-20 first?
Dimitrov current ranking is #35
Tomic current ranking is #43
Discuss.

Kyle_Johansen
04-03-2013, 08:17 PM
Dimitrov.

nole_no1
04-03-2013, 08:25 PM
I'm sure it will be Dimitrov and i expect him to do it after Wimbledon

Murray Mint
04-03-2013, 08:25 PM
Dimitrov. I would expect that he will only get better. The scale of his recent chokes was concerning, however, we are talking about matches against the very best.

Tomic on the other hand, I wouldn't be surprised if his ranking drops. Nothing would surprise me really. (Though having said that, I don't suppose he's defending much from last year)

fedalrock
04-03-2013, 08:28 PM
Dimitrov. I would expect that he will only get better. The scale of his recent chokes was concerning, however, we are talking about matches against the very best.

Tomic on the other hand, I wouldn't be surprised if his ranking drops. Nothing would surprise me really.

Losing 3 sets against Murray x2 and Djokovic after being 5-2 up is seriously concerning. Yes,he is young but still should have a bit more confidence:mad:
He defnitely has the game to challenge the top guys though.

TBkeeper
04-03-2013, 08:32 PM
DimiGOAT.
Tomic is a mug.
/Thread.

ProdigyEng
04-03-2013, 08:34 PM
How are these two the most promising of the young generation?

Raonic is the most promising for sure.

Kyle_Johansen
04-03-2013, 08:36 PM
Milos top 10 by end of the year I hope.

Certinfy
04-03-2013, 08:37 PM
More promising than Raonic? :lol:

As for the question, Dimitrov.

nole_no1
04-03-2013, 08:37 PM
Dimitrov will have the best carrer of all the youngsters

fedalrock
04-03-2013, 08:38 PM
How are these two the most promising of the young generation?

Raonic is the most promising for sure.

The widely prevalent slow courts won't really help Raonic who massively depends on his serve.Plus Raonic can't really improve his game much while Dimitrov and Tomic are all-round players who can improve on the various aspects of their games:shrug:

Though I must say Raonic has had the best results.:)

Certinfy
04-03-2013, 08:41 PM
The widely prevalent slow courts won't really help Raonic who massively depends on his serve.Plus Raonic can't really improve his game much while Dimitrov and Tomic are all-round players who can improve on the various aspects of their games:shrug:

Though I must say Raonic has had the best results.:)
Of course Raonic can improve his game massively. His movement and backhand don't have a lot to be desired but both can and most likely will be improved on within time. We've already seen signs of improvement in both aspects year on year since he's turned pro. Itt's only really a matter of time before both are significantly improved.

As for slow courts, they aren't bad for Raonic at all. He's one of those players that can hit through any court and can use time on the ball better than most.

fedalrock
04-03-2013, 08:45 PM
Raonic can't improve his game much? His movement and backhand don't have a lot to be desired about but both can and definitely will be improved on within time. We've already seen signs of improvement in both aspects of his game since he came on tour, it's only a matter of time before both are significantly improved.

As for slow courts, they aren't bad for Raonic at all. He's one of those players that can hit through any court and can use time on the ball better than most.

Raonic definitely is one to watch for but I still feel Dimitrov will have a better career. I may be wrong but Dimitrov has matured alot this year. He beat Raonic too this year in Brisbane along with Tomic so he has shown can beat his generation. All he needs is the mental side of the game.

Doktor Carpet
04-03-2013, 08:45 PM
Raonic is just a 2.0 version of John Isner.

I'm sure he'll crack the top 10 before Dimitrov, but he's not gonna win any Grand Slam...

Kyle_Johansen
04-03-2013, 08:49 PM
Raonic is just a 2.0 version of John Isner.

I'm sure he'll crack the top 10 before Dimitrov, but he's not gonna win any Grand Slam...

Best shot would be at Wimbledon or the AO. Having watched him a lot the past few years though he will be a Slam contender in the future. He has a higher ceiling than Isner does.

Doktor Carpet
04-03-2013, 08:54 PM
Best shot would be at Wimbledon or the AO. Having watched him a lot the past few years though he will be a Slam contender in the future. He has a higher ceiling than Isner does.

Yeah, 2.0 is usually a little better version! :)

He can't break the top players' serve, too much dependent of tie-breaks and his serve games...very difficult to win seven best of 5 matches this way...

Andi-M
04-03-2013, 08:54 PM
Dimitrov please!!! Tomic is all talk very little game imo.

Johnny Groove
04-03-2013, 08:56 PM
Surely Dimitrov. Yeah he has choked against the top guys, but at least he gets into a position to do so.

Tomic is the epitome of a mug.

fedalrock
04-03-2013, 08:58 PM
Surely Dimitrov. Yeah he has choked against the top guys, but at least he gets into a position to do so.

Tomic is the epitome of a mug.

When do you think Dimitrov will get his first win over Murray/Djokovic/Federer/Nadal? He really needs his breakthrough tournament.:(

Johnny Groove
04-03-2013, 09:02 PM
When do you think Dimitrov will get his first win over Murray/Djokovic/Federer/Nadal? He really needs his breakthrough tournament.:(

I could see him beating Murray or Federer somewhere on clay, sure.

Grass would seem to fit his game, otherwise the American hardcourts in the summer.

He just needs to be able to close it out, he could have beaten both Muzz and Nole this past month.

atennisfan
04-03-2013, 11:11 PM
Dimitrov.

Nothing really surprises me with Tomic, he could have a meteoric rise one day and a terrible fall next.

Chase Visa
04-03-2013, 11:17 PM
Dimitrov is far closer to doing so, however it wouldn't surprise me if Tomic manages to leapfrog into the Top 20 by some really good results.

3DGNumberOneFan
04-03-2013, 11:41 PM
Dimitrov clearly. Better talent, better player, better style, better guy, better everything.

Also Raonic is an all serve mug. You all know he never has a shot at any major.

Asadinator
04-04-2013, 03:07 AM
Tomic, if he wants to. Dimitrov has clown running through his veins, might need years of toughening up.

Hewitt =Legend
04-04-2013, 05:23 AM
Tomic, if he wants to.

This.

MuzzahLovah
04-04-2013, 05:30 AM
If Dimi get lucky and avoid Djoker and Muzz until later rounds, he should be there in no time. If he starts choking versus more players, :unsure:

fedalrock
04-04-2013, 06:44 AM
Tomic, if he wants to. Dimitrov has clown running through his veins, might need years of toughening up.

That's the point, Does Tomic ever want his tennis career to take off away from Australia? His careless attitude and arrogance will stop him from really ever peaking.

Dimitrov on the other hand seems a bit focused on tennis and is willing to improve.:shrug:

dencod16
04-04-2013, 07:16 AM
The problem Dimitrov is having is unlucky draws, Harrison had the same problem in slams. I think likely scenario is Tomic jumping in first but exiting quickly, but Dimitrov getting later but staying there.

latso
04-04-2013, 07:18 AM
They will both be there and it's a matter of luck/draws for the timing.

It feels like Dimitrov should get there a bit sooner, coz of more depth (decent clay abilities and generally speaking he's slight fav in direct clashes against his peers).

But again, if Tomic is in Dimitrov's position in Miami (*5-3 against Murray) he might as well make the finals there, considering the following adversaries, so it's a lot about momentum X luck/draws.

Hypnotize
04-04-2013, 10:48 AM
Dimitrov is the most exciting and talented of the young players and I would expect him to break the top 20 before Tomic. The only thing holding him back at the moment is his nerves and I think he will fix this problem soon.

Topspindoctor
04-04-2013, 10:56 AM
Both of them lack the talent and the game to be a consistent top 20 player. Will they do it? Perhaps, maybe by fluking some results at MM events. Otherwise Tomug and Dimugtrov will remain where they are: big talking journeymen.

MichaelKrep
04-04-2013, 12:37 PM
I could see him beating Murray or Federer somewhere on clay, sure.

Grass would seem to fit his game, otherwise the American hardcourts in the summer.

He just needs to be able to close it out, he could have beaten both Muzz and Nole this past month.
There is unfortunately very little chance of Dimitrov beating Murray on clay this season. He couldn't do it on hard court, how can he do it on clay, where the rallies and the matches themselves are likely to be longer?
On grass, though, which is probably his favourite surface along with fast hard court, he stands a decent chance of beating a top 5 player over 3 sets.

Mark Lenders
04-04-2013, 02:01 PM
I hope Dimitrov.

As for those mentioning Raonic, I fear he might constantly suffer from the same problem Del Potro has since returning to the tour in 2011: his propensity to pick up niggling injuries all the time (often withdrawing from events too) will be a serious issue as far as gathering momentum to make a big breakthrough is concerned. He needs to find a way to stop getting niggly injuries so often in order to gather momentum for a breakthrough big run at a Slam.

fedalrock
04-04-2013, 02:59 PM
There is unfortunately very little chance of Dimitrov beating Murray on clay this season. He couldn't do it on hard court, how can he do it on clay, where the rallies and the matches themselves are likely to be longer?
On grass, though, which is probably his favourite surface along with fast hard court, he stands a decent chance of beating a top 5 player over 3 sets.

Dimitrov plays well on all surfaces, his game is all-round so, shouldn't he have a better shot at Murray as Murray on hard > Murray on Clay.
If Dimitrov can play his game and not choke as he always does, he has more than a reasonable shot :shrug: