Gonzo Articles and News [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Gonzo Articles and News

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Fergie
01-15-2005, 12:41 PM
Gonzalez wins Heineken Open

AUCKLAND, New Zealand (AP) -- Fifth-seeded Fernando Gonzalez of Chile won his fifth ATP Tour title Saturday, beating Belgium's Olivier Rochus, 6-4, 6-2 in the Heineken Open.

"Some weeks I play good and some not. This was my week,'' said Gonzalez, ranked 23rd in the world. "I think I played almost perfect. I felt really good on the court today and I took every opportunity he gave me.''

Rochus, at 5-foot-5 the shortest player on the men's circuit, beat top-seeded Guillermo Coria or Argentina on the way to the final.

"I tried my best but I think today he was just too good,'' Rochus said. "He was just too strong and he was serving too good. Every shot was perfect.''

The Australian Open begins Monday in Melbourne.

Peoples
01-15-2005, 05:49 PM
I loved that comment on the Auckland website's news. So right :D

"Gonzalez approaches each shot with the mindset of wanting to inflict harm on the tennis ball, and this way of playing doesn't seem like it is going to change anytime soon. "

Fergie
01-16-2005, 12:58 PM
Gonzalez says that does not matter for him to be the first one of Chile

Fernando Gonzalez had a little time to celebrate his fifth title in the ATP, because he took his things and left rapidly with Horacio de la Peña towards Australia, in a trip of three hours and a half, approximately.

Consulted he brings over of being again the racket number one of Chile, Fernando said that "the ránking is a circumstance of the good game, nothing more ". The santiaguino added that "it matters for me to play more well and be accumulating hours of game for the close challenges that will come. The year is very long ".

Gonzalez remained located finally in the sixteenth position of the ránking ATP.

olimpo
01-16-2005, 01:57 PM
Chile con carnival

by DYLAN CLEAVER

When Fernando Gonzalez emerged from the bowels of Stanley St shortly after 3pm yesterday, showered, changed and not looking much like a tennis star at all, he was besieged by Auckland's Chilean community.

He remained composed, acknowledged their support and, phooof! - he was gone in what seemed like a puff of smoke.

Which was much like the final of the Heineken Open: here one minute, gone the next.

In a master-class of controlled bludgeoning from both sides of the court, Gonzalez destroyed his diminutive Belgian opponent.

"He was just too good," said Rochus, which was as perceptive as it was succinct.

Gonzalez lost just 11 points on his serve in the match and just four, three of them in one game, in the second set.

He faced only two break points in the match, which he responded to with a forehand winner and a strong volley.

Rochus, on the other hand, had to fight and scrap for every point. He did it to some effect in the first set, buzzing around court like an annoying insect, returning most of what Gonzalez threw at him.

It was his only chance of winning - death by a 1000 sandfly bites.

But if he was waiting for Gonzalez to miss, he was going to be waiting a long time.

The Chilean, roared home by his faithful fans, broke in the 10th game to take the first set and the rest was one-way traffic. As it has been for Gonzalez all week.

He didn't drop a set on the way to his fifth ATP Tour title and his first on hardcourts.

"Some weeks I play bad, some weeks I play good. This was a great week," Gonzalez said.

The 24-year-old was in a rush; he had a 4.30pm plane to catch to the Australian Open, where he will meet Argentina's Jose Acasuso, who got as far as the quarter-finals in Auckland.

"The only thing I was thinking about was winning the match, not the plane," Gonzalez said. "For me it was a fantastic match."

Gonzalez said the key to his success this week had been the fact he was moving better. He put this down to increased fitness and the fact he has lost a few kilos.

Another key was that his perceived weakness was a strength.

Before Friday's semifinal his opponent Juan Ignacio Chela admitted he was going to have to find Gonzalez' backhand if he was to stand any chance. Rochus also tried this tactic.

"They play to my backhand because my forehand is my best shot, you know," he said. Neither found the holes they wanted.

The popular Chilean became the fourth South American to win New Zealand's national title after Peru's Jaime Yzaga ('92), Brazil's Gustavo Kuerten ('03) and Gonzalez' countryman Marcelo Rios seven years ago.

Peoples
01-17-2005, 08:20 PM
Thanks for the articles! :)

Fergie
01-21-2005, 12:55 PM
Fernando Gonzalez: "I'm different, because I'm more rapid and I improved the attack"

There is one before and one later in Fernando's Gonzalez career. This that fell down in a slight existential crisis after be illuminating in the Olympic Games of Athens and other one that now takes a squall of seven victories. Installed with property in the third round of Australian Open, the new number one of Chile extracts his conclusions of this change, the same one that comes proclaiming his coach, Horacio de la Peña.

But Fernando wants to think it calmly, because one doesn't forget that he was on the verge of performance remained out of the first Grand Slam of the season due to his problems before the Argentinian Jose Acasuso. Of all forms, he rescues of this "fright" a very positive fact: "To win Jose gave to me confidence... They were different days, because in the first one I was near losing and now I conquered coolly Igor (Andreev). It's rescatable ".

Gonzalez assures that he has had technical changes in the latter time, thanks to the good pretemporada that he did in Chile.

"I'm different, because I'm more rapid and now I improved the game of attack... It has helped me enough. I expect to support the level ", he comments.

The Chilean emphasizes that this change has a base: "I Have another trainer (he changed the Brazilian Fernando Cao into Carlos Burgos) that is all the time with me and that said to me that I had to lose weight ". Not for nothing, Gonzalez can say today that he lowered four kilos for the beginning of season, which has allowed him to become exhausted less and to be more light.

"The decision to change (the trainer) was the suitable one, because I feel much better and now it is necessary to support ".

Nalbandian in the way

The Chilean will have now a obstacle of major renown. His rival will be the Argentinian David Nalbandian, ninth in the System of Entry. "He is a very hard player, but if I continue playing this way, I believe that I have options to advance".

This opponent is specially complicated for Gonzalez, because in five confrontations only he won one, though the last one to be imposed was the Chilean.

Björki
02-19-2005, 08:11 PM
vote for Gonzo as the hottest guy
http://www.acehotlist.co.uk/

Fergie
02-19-2005, 11:26 PM
Thanks for the link :D

I voted but Feña isn't in the top-10 :sad:

*Ljubica*
03-22-2005, 02:43 PM
This probably isn't news to most people here, but just saw an article confirming that Fena and Nico Massu will defend their WTC title in Dusseldorf again this year. The article is mainly about David Nalbandian and Guillermo Coria confirming their appearance there for Argentina this year, in preparation for the Davis Cup in July, but here is the link anyway. Sorry - I'm at work so no time to translate it all now.:-

http://www.tercera.cl/medio/articulo/0,0,3308_5832_118818538,00.html

I♥PsY@Mus!c
03-27-2005, 08:12 AM
Thank you guys! :hatoff:

olimpo
04-21-2005, 11:08 AM
Here’s the internet translation of an article/interview from the newspaper La Segunda (have posted the original in Feña’s Español forum)

Fernando González recharges batteries in Santiago
"Al World of Düsseldorf we go with four players"

The idea is to invite a fourth member to defend the title and on his coach, confirmed that "I will travel with Horacio of the Rock although the captain be Patrician Rodriguez".

González and Of the Rock, a double inseparable one. Fernando González belongs to that species of querendones of its family. Because of it that in Miami, during the tournament of Key Biscayne, they were their mother, their older sister and their father. For him better nothing than enjoying them and in their city. Santiago has for him a special attraction. They will be ten days alternating a daily work of not less than 3 hours, that will extend al double from Thursday on next in double shift in the central tenístico located near Kennedy with Américo Vespucio.

The plans contemplate, by common consent with Nicolas Massú, for the World one by Teams of Düsseldorf (15 of May), to travel with other Chileans as Adrián Garcia Hermes Gamonal and Paul Capdeville, for be not carried all the weight of the tournament. And in the banking they will be, Patrician Rodriguez, like the captain, but also Horacio of the Rock, supervising the performance of their pupilo, Fernando González.

¿How much time requires a tennis player of your level to reload batteries in the middle of an intense season?

Every tennis player, especially the south americans that live far away, we need to pass some days at home with ours, family and friends; is always important to return although be well tenística and mentally..

¿The cut has to do with the intense thing of the season of clay to face Rome, Hamburg, World Cup by teams and Roland Garros?

Yes, it is better to stop, to be taken the things with calm and to avoid the injuries. I have clear that the master series that come (Rome and Hamburg) and Roland Garros, are the hardest tournaments of slow courts and one must be hundred percent.

Comply I am not

¿Which is your balance of these almost 4 months of activity?

Always one has the sensation to be able to improve the things. But I do not want to be unjust, I had good results, I gained a championship (Auckland in New Zealand fast courts), and I am very motivated. The word comply do not i like, but I believe that are going to arrive better successes.

We will invite other players..

¿This year also they will confront with Massú all the parties in Düsseldorf?

Not, this year we will alternate. Already I spoke it with Nicolas. We will go four players and not three (in 2004 besides was integrated Adrián Garcia).

¿To who are going to invite?

Perhaps to Adrián Garcia, Hermes Gamonal and also they would be able to be Phillip Harboe, Paul Capdeville or to the same one Jorge Aguilar. I would love to carry some young player that was rising, but seems me that still there is not none it sufficiently prepared. At any rate one must take it with calm, already we will speak with the players that to us (with Massú) seems us that they can be in the team.

Massú, by being the one of Chile, has the privilege of appointing al technical for the Tournament of the Nations and will be Patrician Rodriguez. What happens with its coach, Horacio of The Rock?

Horacio is my coach and he will travel to Germany. Respect any decision, but my technician is Of the Rock.

The prize by gaining the Cup of Nations should reach to some US$800 thousand, that in case of repeating the title and to reach a tricampeonato, the "torta" will be distributed between all the members of the team and now, as opposed to last year, will be four players.

olimpo
04-30-2005, 01:41 PM
Another great interview with Fernando (internet translation)

Fernando González: "Each time I feel more near the number one"

The "Bomber" initiates Monday the one that will be its harder tour of the year in European courts, where expects to reach the "tri" in Düsseldorf and to give the surprise in Roland Garros.

It confessed that is not pololeando and that expects to see to play Chile in the World one of Germany.

The present number one of Chile travelled to Europe conscious that will be one of the hardest exits in which goes of the year. It will participate in the Master Series of Rome and Hamburg, then will seek the tricampeonato in Düsseldorf for subsequently play Roland Garros." Is the most important tour, by the time, the quantity and the prominent thing that are the tournaments that am going to dispute. But I am happy and very motivated to play possible the best and I hope to gain some of them", assures an animated one Fernando González hours before leave.

*¿Your objective is to defend points, to gain a tournament, the tricampeonato in Düsseldorf or to prepare you to give the surprise in Roland Garros?

*The time teaches you that each tournament is important and one must treat to yield al maximum, because one never what knows is going to happen later. Besides, they are championships that have played well in other years and that obviously I expect to gain or to arrive as up as possible.

*¿What teaching left you to play with Roger Federer in Montecarlo?

*I realized that al number one also costs him to close the parties. That helped me enough for my confidence and to be able to comply a second one set very concentrated. Besides it remained myself clear that each time I am more near fighting somewhat large and to reach al better than the world. In the measure in which he can face to rival as Federer, my performance will go improving.

*Before Roland Garros you should play for Chile in Düsseldorf in the search of the tricampeonato world..

*This year perhaps will be a little different. The two previous years I required me al maximum, I played eight parties when we gain for the first time and last year I played six. Now we go with four players instead of three exactly to distribute us a little more the encounters, because in reality was very desgastante, especially last year, when dragged an injury in the elbow.

*But you have clear that you and Massú they define the points..

*With the Nico charms us to play for Chile, motivates us a lot, so much in Cup Davis as in the Cup of the World, but we are going to ration because I finished very exhausted after the other two championships.

*To all this, ¿as is your relation with Nicolas Massú? Continue so friends?

*Yes, clear. It is with the one that more I share in the circuit and in Chile. We remain in the same hotel, we are going to eat together, the side rooms of the tournaments are the same and even we play the double of the large tournaments. In fact, we are going to play double in Rome and in Hamburg and we have to join us to define which will they be the other two players that go to Düsseldorf.

Rivers and the Cup Davis

*¿You cause causes common in them said from Of the Rock when says to be felt handled for all the matter of the nationality and the headquarters of Cup Davis?

*Horacio is a contribute. What worse than can pass is that all continue equal, and the best is that he deliver all his experience and his work by our tennis.

*Marcelo Rios said in a program of television that when he declared his disposition to be a captain of the team of Cup Davis did not feel your support neither of Massú and now already finally he is not in his plans to be sat down on the chair..

*There is people with more experience than has not had the Cup captain to be opportunity Davis. El Chino withdrew does less than one year and to be a captain is not only to be seated on the chair, but to coach to all the players and to be worried of all the details. Perhaps Marcello it can be a candidate to future.

*¿The fact that Rios he have opted by an up to now far away life of the tennis as daily activity, he has moved away him of tí and of Massú?

*Never I have been very friend of el Chino, there is not evil wave, but we do not have many things in common..

*¿What seems you that have itself married with Kenita Larraín?

*Good for him. I informed me by the newspapers. Al principle did not believe, but thus was..

*¿And you, Fernando, you have not thought about marrying?

*Yes. At the end of the year I will marry.....but I do not know with who..

*¿In Serious?

*Ha, ha, ha, ... not, is a joke. The truth is that I am single.

*¿Ah, yes? For how long are you alone?

*It does as two or three months, but I am not going to enter in details.

¿What do you think on the election of executive of the Confederacy of Tennis?

*Is a pity that go Andrés (Fazio), he arrived when was the broom in the Confederacy. But I understand its motives. On the candidates do not I have greater opinion, only I expect that the things be done well.

"I want to see the Red one in Germany"

On the exit of Elms and the arrival of Goes to bed, González as swells of the soccer and colocolino that "it more serious was that Elms finished its process. It is a pity that lacking so few dates to finish the eliminatorias change a coach of a day for another".

*¿What seems you Nelson Acosta?

*Is a good technician. He has merits to spare. I hope he can do something and he classify us again.

*¿If Chile arrives al World, you are going to go to see some party?

*I am going to put all the pledge in going, because really I want to see a party of Chile in Germany. In fact, is played in an epoch after Roland Garros, so I will try to do me the time to see to play the Red one in the World one.

enqvistfan
06-25-2005, 07:48 PM
For those who understand Spanish, here's a very interesting interview which shows that Fernando is a great man inside. He was interviewed by a child.

http://www.anp.cl/p4_noticias/site/artic/20040303/pags/20040303133258.html

Concurso de Lectores Infantiles
Me encantaría ser número uno".
Ignacio Ortíz, segundo lugar, entrevistó a Fernando González.

Este joven tenista piensa que la salud es mucho más importante que el dinero, y que el apoyo de su familia ha sido fundamental en el éxito de su profesión.

¿Crees que el apoyo de tu familia ha sido fundamental en tu carrera?
Más que fundamental, ha sido super importante. Creo que si tu familia no te apoya en esta profesión es casi imposible llegar a ser bueno.

¿Cuál fue tu primer partido de tenis ..y a qué edad?
Yo empecé a jugar un poco antes de los cinco años. Me acuerdo que jugué mi primer campeonato a los seis años y me ganaron fácil.... Incluso al que me ganó, todavía lo veo de repente.

Cuándo ganas un partido, ¿qué es lo primero que piensas?
No es que piense en algo concreto...depende del partido. Hay partidos que son más importantes que otros, uno está más nervioso... Pero cada vez que gano, es algo rico, la sensación es muy difícil de explicar.

¿Crees en Dios?
Si.. No soy de los que van a misa todos los domingos. Hice mi primera comunión. No puedo decir que soy el más fiel seguidor, pero sí creo.

¿Qué importancia tiene en tu vida el dinero?
Es cierto que el dinero, lamentablemente, te saca de problemas y en ese sentido es importante. Obviamente si tienes sueños, a veces te permite cumplirlos, puedes tener una casa... Pero , sin duda, hay cosas mucho más importantes como la salud. Sin salud no hay dinero que te salve, y sin el amor de tu familia tampoco.

¿Donarías toda la fortuna que has acumulado gracias al tenis, para paliar, en parte, el hambre de los niños del mundo?
Me encanta ayudar y muchas veces, obviamente, el dinero ayuda. De repente gente que no tiene dinero puede apoyar de otra manera. Pero mientras yo pueda y tenga tiempo, voy a ayudar.

Cuando ya seas el Número Uno del mundo, ¿qué harás?
Me encantaría primero llegar a serlo. Estoy trabajando cada día para eso.... Sería coronar una carrera difícil, y cuando uno es dos del mundo quiere ser uno. Cuando eres diez quieres ser nueve y si eres uno querrías serlo para siempre.

¿Qué prefieres, matrimonio o convivencia?
A ver, creo que todavía no estoy en edad para eso. ...Depende de las personas... creo que hoy en día sería mejor convivir un tiempo antes de casarse, ...a mi me encantaría conocer bien a la persona con que me voy a casar, pero en esto creo que las mujeres mandan.

¿Qué opinas de las drogas y qué consejo les darías a los jóvenes para alejarse de ellas?
Creo que el tema de la droga es una lata. Cada vez hay más gente adicta y todos sabemos que la droga no te lleva a nada. La droga te mata o te va haciendo perder cosas muy importantes en la vida. El consejo que daría es quizás no tanto a los jóvenes, porque a esa edad ellos no saben, sino más bien a los papás, que traten, por ejemplo, de incentivar el deporte en sus hijos, que creo te ayuda mucho.

¿Si yo te invito a mi Escuela, me enseñarías a jugar tenis?
Si tengo el tiempo, con todo gusto.

GonzoFan
06-26-2005, 08:49 AM
Here is another interview for those who understand spanish is an interview with Horacio de la Peña.

De la Peña: "Fernando está para hacer grandes cosas este año"

El técnico del número uno nacional reiteró su confianza en el gran nivel que está mostrando su pupilo, quien este lunes buscará su paso a cuartos de final de Wimbledon.

El triunfo de Fernando González (24º de la ATP) sobre el sueco Joachim Johansson (10º) para instalarse en octavos de final de Wimbledon no sólo llenó de elogios al número uno de Chile, sino que además incrementó la confianza de su técnico Horacio de la Peña en que 2005 puede ser el año de la consolidación definitiva entre los grandes.

En diálogo con Al Aire Libre en Cooperativa, el coach argentino alabó el gran desempeño que González ha mostrado sobre el césped londinense, y reiteró que su nivel da para seguir esperando resultados positivos.

"En algún momento va a tener la suerte de que esas pelotitas que se estaban yendo dos o tres centímetros entren y las cosas se vengan para nuestro lado, y ojalá Wimbledon sea el lugar. Pero Fernando está para hacer grandes cosas este año, y lo está demostrando con el nivel de tenis que está jugando", aseguró De la Peña.

"Yo lo dije cuando estábamos abajo, y no ganando. Cuando las cosas no salían bien yo dije que Fernando está jugando un gran tenis. Está muy fuerte, bajó mucho de peso, está mucho más rápido y aguantando más, está sacando mejor y mejoró mucho su revés y su volea, y en algún momento esto le tenía que pagar", agregó.

El ex jefe técnico del equipo chileno de Copa Davis destacó el triunfo por 6-4, 6-4 y 6-2 de este viernes ante Joachim Johansson, en especial porque se dio ante uno de los mejores sacadores del circuito.

"Teníamos mucho respeto por este jugador. Es número 10 del mundo, le hizo 51 aces a (Andre) Agassi en Australia, así que estamos hablando de un tipo que saca en serio, y desde el primer game lo dominó y le puso una garra increíble", indicó De la Peña, quien explicó que la victoria pasó por el buen análisis previo que ambos hicieron de su oponente.

"Estudiamos muy bien el patrón de saque que tenía. Cada vez que tuvo break point, Fernando fue a buscar el saque correcto porque lo teníamos muy estudiado, y eso en pasto hace mucha diferencia", sostuvo.
El optimismo de Horacio de la Peña lo hace albergar esperanzas de seguir avanzando en el tercer Grand Slam de la temporada, pese a que el césped no es la superficie favorita del tenista de La Reina.

"Fernando hace dos semanas que está acá en pasto, esta va a ser la tercera, y eso te da una diferencia muy grande sobre los que no lo hicieron. La clase de tenis que se juega acá, que es muy explosiva y corta, beneficia lo que más tiene Fernando, que es fuerza y explosión; además, él está sacando como nunca", indicó.

A la espera de que este sábado se complete el duelo en que el ruso Mikhail Youzhny (34º) derrota por 7-5, 6-3, 3-6 y 4-4 al sueco Jonas Bjorkman (97º), que no alcanzó a terminar este viernes producto de la lluvia, el coach argentino se inclinó por el helvético como rival de su pupilo.

"A Bjorkman, primero porque tiene 32 años, juega singles, dobles mixtos... Youzhny es un jugador que ya Fernando le ganó y que tiene esa ventaja, pero igual yo lo respeto mucho, y para un partido a cinco sets prefiero a Bjorkman", declaró. (Cooperativa.cl)

olimpo
06-28-2005, 08:15 AM
Here’s Fernando’s interview from the Wimbledon site:

F. Gonzalez - Day 7
Monday, June 27, 2005

Q. Can you explain the success of a lot of the players that are traditionally doing better on clay. We have Lopez in the quarterfinals, you in the quarterfinals ‑ first time since '85 from Chile ‑ we have two Argentines in the Round of 16. What's happening?

FERNANDO GONZALEZ: Yeah, maybe the court is little bit slower than 20 years ago.

But the tour makes you play everywhere because you have to play some tournaments in indoors, you have to play some tournaments on clay, on hard court. You have to play everywhere.

For me, this was the first time that I did a good preparation, I mean a real preparation. I played Queen's, I played exhibition tournament last week. And every time that I come to Wimbledon, I come three days before. Last year I come five or six days, but it's not enough time.

Q. So you're taking it more seriously, the grass court season, than before?

FERNANDO GONZALEZ: Yeah, because I never think that I can play good on grass. And this year, I say, Okay, everything that I do is for free on the grass (smiling).

So it's my best tournament of the year, so I'm really happy. I'm really surprised about this.

Q. You're not practicing more on grass in the year, right?

FERNANDO GONZALEZ: No. I mean, I just come after the French, play Queen's. Still playing, practicing on grass only few weeks a year.

Q. Previously, after the French, you would play a clay court tournament?

FERNANDO GONZALEZ: No, I would take a rest because I play too many weeks in a row. Then I come to London maybe three or five days before the tournament start, but is not enough time.

Q. Just one more about aces. I see you were second in the tournament for aces coming into the fourth round.

FERNANDO GONZALEZ: What do you mean?

Q. The number of aces you hit is second coming into the fourth round.

FERNANDO GONZALEZ: Oh, really, after Roddick?

Q. After Mirnyi, after Max Mirnyi. Do you think this is an important statistic for success on grass?

FERNANDO GONZALEZ: Absolutely. I mean, if I serve good, I can go to the game of return, I go relax, because I know that I'm not gonna lose my serve. So I can play and try to go for it, for each shot, you know.

Q. But is it more important, aces, than first serve percentage or...

FERNANDO GONZALEZ: Yeah, I mean, I think it's more important to ‑‑ maybe. I mean, to win a lot of free points, it's very important. Because sometimes, some days, the other day against Johansson I won I think maybe two or three points per game, free points, you know. And that's ‑‑ I mean, it's easy playing like that.

Q. Are you serving as well as you've served?

FERNANDO GONZALEZ: Every day I serve much better than I used to do it. Today I didn't serve so good, but I won the match and I was feeling really good on the grass, so...

Q. Do you like the grass courts? Because they're quite fast, they should suit your fast game.

FERNANDO GONZALEZ: Well, not really much. But I enjoy to play because it's Wimbledon and you only play maybe two weeks in a year. But after this result, I will enjoy more every time.

Q. Is there any grass courts in your home country?

FERNANDO GONZALEZ: No. Synthetic grass. Sometimes I practice on the football (smiling). They put a net, and I practice on the synthetic grass.

Q. In the football stadium?

FERNANDO GONZALEZ: Yeah ‑‑ no, I mean on synthetic grass.

Q. But in a stadium?

FERNANDO GONZALEZ: No, not in a stadium. Any place. I play football with my friends, and then I practice (smiling).

Q. How do you like the prospect of maybe facing Federer in the next round?

FERNANDO GONZALEZ: Interesting match. I would love to play at this stadium, I never play. I'm already in quarterfinals and I haven't played there.

I never beat him, but last two times it was close matches. It was on clay. Here will be different.

But let's see. I mean, I am playing good, and Federer have to win his match. He have a tough match now.

Q. What kind of difference do you think it makes playing on grass as opposed to clay as it was in Roland Garros?

FERNANDO GONZALEZ: I mean, you win more free points. Maybe the points are much shorter. My slice is a real whip on here, not on clay. Is only to defend sometimes. But here, you can use it.

Q. Does it mean something special to you to be the first person from Chile to be here in the quarterfinals since '85?

FERNANDO GONZALEZ: Yeah, 20 years ago. I talked the other day with Ricardo Acuna. Once every 20 year maybe. I hope that we don't have to wait 20 more years to have another one in the quarters.

But I still in the tournament, so I'm happy. I'm going to try my best.

Q. I think you're the only one that has not lost a set in the quarterfinals. It's pretty surprising, no?

FERNANDO GONZALEZ: It is (smiling). But the most important thing is to win the match. I mean, it doesn't matter if it's 10‑8 in the fifth or straight sets. I mean, for me, is just a detail.

And another article in Spanish with lots of quotes of Fernando:

Fernando González: "Dependo más de mí que de mi rival"

El número uno de Chile sabe que en cuartos de final de Wimbledon tendrá un complicado duelo ante el suizo Roger Federer, pero confía en su tenis para buscar un triunfo.

Luego de conseguir un histórico paso a los cuartos de final de Wimbledon tras vencer por 7-6 (3), 7-6 (5) y 6-3 al ruso Mikhail Youzhny (34º), el tenista chileno Fernando González (21º) se declaró confiado en que puede buscar un inédito paso a semifinales ante el suizo Roger Federer (1º).

Sin conocer aún el resultado del duelo en que Federer batió por 6-3, 6-4 y 7-6 (6) al español Juan Carlos Ferrero (31º), el número uno nacional se refirió a su próximo desafío.

"Los dos son muy buenos jugadores. Juan Carlos obviamente sería mejor para mí, porque (el césped) no es su mejor superficie. En cambio, para Federer es lo que más le acomoda. Pero hay que estar tranquilo porque afortunadamente, dependo más de mí que de mi rival", aseguró.

El pupilo de Horacio de la Peña no quiere plantearse aún la posibilidad de pelear por el título del tercer Grand Slam de la temporada, pero está seguro que tiene el nivel necesario para dar la gran sorpresa en la "Catedral" del tenis.

"Todo es posible, sería un sueño para mí, pero hay que ir tranquilo. Me espera un partido bastante duro, pero hay que ir paso a paso, aunque estoy dispuesto a ganarlo", aseveró.

"Me siento muy contento, he jugado un gran tenis, con mucha confianza, pero ha sido un partido duro", comentó tras la victoria ante Youzhny, a quien superó por segunda vez en su carrera.

Fernando González sabe que con el triunfo de este lunes se convirtió en el primer chileno que se mete en cuartos de Wimbledon desde 1985, cuando lo hizo Ricardo Acuña para repetir el logro que Luis Ayala había conseguido en 1959 y 1961, pero prefiere no darle importancia.

"La historia está en los museos. Lo más importante es ganar los partidos, y para mí esto es sólo un dato", manifestó.

Consultado sobre las expectativas que se generan a medida que va avanzando, González prefirió "sacudirse" y centrarse solamente en lo que pasa en la cancha.

"Presión siempre hay, uno se la pone porque quiere ganar y seguir avanzando, pero lo más importante es disfrutar del juego", apuntó. (EFE)

enqvistfan
06-28-2005, 06:48 PM
Gonzalez Raises Chile's Profile Again
[From Wimbledon website]

Tuesday, 28 June, 2005

The last time a Chilean made it to the quarter-finals at Wimbledon, Mikhail Gorbachev was the leader of Soviet Russia, Michael Jackson and Lionel Richie had just won the Grammy for the best song of the year, "We are the World", and the United States under Ronald Reagan had become a debtor nation for the first time since 1914.

It was 1985 and a young man from Santiago by the name of Ricardo Acuna had raised the hopes of the South American nation. He made history by reaching the quarter-finals at Wimbledon only to lose in straight sets to Jimmy Connors. Acuna was never able to repeat that feat, nor have any of his countrymen before this year. Chileans stopped expecting from their tennis stars and Acuna's career-best performance became a fading memory.

But on Monday, 20 years after Acuna's quarter-final appearance at Wimbledon, another Chilean, Fernando Gonzalez, matched that feat and became the new hero of the nation.

"I am happy and I hope we don't have to wait for another 20 years," Gonzalez said after knocking out Russia's Mikhail Youzhny in straight sets to earn himself that quarter-final berth. The No.21 seed is in fine form at this year's Championships and has yet to drop a set. That may change in his quarter-final encounter where his opponent is the mighty top seed and defending champion, Roger Federer.

Realistically, Gonzalez's chances are slim but then tennis is a game that can turn around unpredictably. Moreover, given Gonzalez's track record in the past couple of years, he should at least be able to put up a gritty fight.

The 24-year-old reached the US Open quarter-finals in 2002 and was also a quarter-finalist at the French Open the following year. At the Athens Olympics last year, Gonzalez won gold in the doubles with Nicolas Massu along with a bronze in the singles. The Chilean has already bettered his Wimbledon record this year. His previous best achievement was reaching the third round last year.

"This is my best tournament so far," Gonzalez said of Wimbledon. "I am enjoying it. Federer will have to win his match but he will not have it easy. I will give him a tough match."

The Chilean's confidence is noteworthy especially given the fact that his first love is for clay courts and there are no real grass courts in his home country. He admits to having a little practice on synthetic grass used for football matches.

Written by Sajid Shaikh

enqvistfan
06-28-2005, 10:28 PM
This morning, i bought the French sport newspaper "l'équipe" and there was a tiny paragraph about Fernando. They said that Fernando did better than Rios, he is the first Chilean to arrive so far in this tournament. He's the only player who won his matches in 3 sets and interesting thing (according to the newspaper), he only served and came to the net once. So, they wonder if he can have the same tactic against Roger. We'll see....

Val :)

GonzoFan
06-30-2005, 11:19 AM
This article is from the ATP Tennis website (spanish)

Fernando Gonzalez's tour in London

Fernando González was traveling through London on Monday, accompanied by a team of the BBC in the prior of its encounter with Roger Federer. The Chilean tennis player was accompanied by his coach, the former Argentine tennis player Horacio de la Peña and his physical coach, Carlos Burgos. "I Always it wanted to have a time to know the cities where I am playing and London is a great city. It is a great way to know the city. I have enjoyed a lot my state here, because besides I have played in a great level. I expect to be able to continue with this, although I will face the best player of the moment, Roger Federer, in the next match. It will be really incredible to be able to conquer it and the truth is that I do not have anything to lose against him".
Gonzalez also was in classical places of the English capital and traveled through in a car the immediacies of the Big Ben and the headquarters of the Parliament.

You can see this article in Gonzalez Tour in London (http://www.atptennis.com/es/newsandscores/news/2005/wimbledon_gonzo_londontour.asp)

Björki
06-30-2005, 11:52 AM
lovely pics :inlove:

olimpo
06-30-2005, 11:55 AM
Thanks GonzoFan :) Fernando looks very cute :hearts:

*Ljubica*
06-30-2005, 12:23 PM
Thanks for the great pics. Nice to know he enjoyed himself in my home city :)

Sparko1030
06-30-2005, 04:23 PM
Thanks for the translation Gonzofan I saw the piece on the ATP site but can't read spanish.

enqvistfan
06-30-2005, 06:47 PM
Thanks a lot for the interesting article and great pics, he looks great :-)

And do U think we can see the video somewhere on the BBC website ?

Talking about videos, have you seen the one after the Olympics on the Chilean website ? It's about his carreer till the Olympics, it's a long video and very interesting.

Val

GonzoFan
07-07-2005, 09:52 AM
Here is an article from La Tercera (Internet Translation)

González is conscious that his own are the fast courts

The Chilean returned yesterday (tuesday) to the training along with his coach, Horacio de la Peña, after a brief rest.

"Here I make more damage with my arms and they notice except my weak points", argued the first national racket, that will return to the Tour within 10 days in the match of Amersfoort, Holland.

The grass passed the account to Fernando González. The fact to have arrived in Wimbledon at quarterfinals in a little friendly surface produced indirect effect to him and their knees suffered with the wearing down. "It is necessary to bend down more of the normal thing and with the brakings the knees are hurt much", commented the Chilean, who in any case confirms that the medical controls that took place in the last days did not throw anything of care.

And thus, already with the filed memory of its better performance in the English grass, the first national racket returned to the training in its natural surface, the clay, along with his coach Horacio de la Peña, in the Club Park Tennis of Las Condes.

It was a brief training of González, that came from a pair of days of rest and that a little to their grief will have to return to the courts within 10 days in Amersfoort (Holland) and later Kitzbühel (Austria).

"I never thought that it would have that yield about Wimbledon and the ideal had been to jump to North America and not to return immediately to the clay. But I was already written down in those tournaments and to where I go, I make it to win ", commented the "Bomber of La Reina", conscious that its yield improvement of obvious way on fast courts. Without going further, this year the only title gained it in cement (Auckland) and obtained the best result in the English Grand Slam.

"That is a fact. What happens is that my arms (serve and forehand (right)) make more damage in fast courts. And on the other hand my weak points, like my backhand, notice less ", commented González, that during the second semester does not have much points to defend. His maximum defenses must face them in Amersfoort (120 points, final) and in Cincinnati (15 of August), where it will have to add what he won last year through the semifinals in the Olympic Games of Athens (205 points). "To me I would like to defend every week, because that means that I have walked well, but, there are no great defenses in the second semester and that allows to think that I can finish above in the ranking, hopefully between the 10 first", says the santiaguino.

After two clay matches, González will jump to North America. The Chilean will play the Masters Series of Montreal, Cincinnati, in addition to New Heaven and the U.S. Open. This is the great bet of the second semester, since in addition it does not defend points.

You can see this article in La Tecera (http://www.latercera.cl/medio/articulo/0,0,3308_5832_147004648,00.html) (is in spanish)

enqvistfan
07-07-2005, 09:39 PM
Thanx you Gonzo fan for the latest news :)

Val

GonzoFan
07-12-2005, 10:38 AM
Here is another article from La Tercera (internet translation)

González faces the rest of the season without worrying much about the numbers

After days of rest, Fernando González retook his tennis work. Preparing game to Amersfoort, to the "Bomber of La Reina" does not worry much to him that, in which reduces of the year, it must defend few points. Perhaps if only that it is questioned a little is to start off for Europe to play two weeks on clay, knowing that soon it must go to North America to compete in fast courts. Clear that their doubts arose only from the good yield reached in the British Open. Perhaps "Of to have known that it was going to walk so well in Wimbledon, it could have chosen to tournaments in cement field", reflects number one of Chile.

The training under the orders of Horacio de la Peña was intense. Neither González nor Paul Capdeville, their new fellow worker, had breathings. Everything to arrive well at which comes.

"It is necessary to return to feel well in the clay. But we are customary to adapt us fast to the changes of surface ", says.

So far, the option does not worry to him to put in top ten, knowing that it has little to lose during the semester. "After Athens, the last year I did little more. But more than certain ranking, it worries to me to feel to me well playing, and I am enjoying it. From that, the numbers arrive by themselves". More in a year than he has been even, with good results. "To walk well in Wimbledon, in addition, gives confidence for the future ", summarizes González, conscious that the rest of the year could imply a great harvest for him.

Gonzalez is very optimistic respect to its calendar in the second semester, because it defends few points.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I♥PsY@Mus!c
07-12-2005, 11:55 AM
Thanks GonzoFan. http://forum.fireblue.org/images/smilies/new/Pack-250/peace.gif

Fergie
07-12-2005, 01:02 PM
Feña is ready to rock the world, vamos!!! :bounce:

SuperRevelation
07-12-2005, 04:34 PM
Thanks for the articles :D

olimpo
07-13-2005, 10:04 PM
Here's the internet translation of an article from canal13 with quotes of Fernando and there's also a short video clip of that interview.

Link to original article in Spanish and video clip

http://deporte.canal13.cl/deportes/html/Deportes/Tenis/227629.html

González: "I fight every day to be better"

The racket number one of Chile works to all machine for its return to the circuit in the European clay, that will take place in Amersfoort, Holland. Although it recognizes that the adaptation to the clay has been hard at first, has confidence in which it can walk well in his next challenges. Near the 17 hours the intense practice of Fernando González in Park finalizes Tennis (the Counts), where all the work of Horacio de la Pena centralizes. The Bomber of Reina almost does not reach to leave one of the fields, when tens of children approach to request autographs and to demonstrate to him the affection to him that they have to him. With a bulletproof patience, time even occurs to share with one fans that shows to him to an enormous album of photos that begins to see without hardship "Nor I I have that", it explains Stone Hand indicating one of the images. Finally - and after the rigor photos the Chilean occurs time to talk with us. On the affection that to him the people profess and the moments who dedicate to them, he explains that, "whenever I can I do it (to sign autographs). I also was young and was in a tennis school. Also it watched at somebody like an example and if I can give them a little my time I feel very contented to do it ".

As far as its sporadic visits to the country, González told that, "which I more like to come for is here to be with my family and my friends, besides to physically rest a little. Also this time occurred to the time to prepare to me well for which it comes ". On the impact that has meant to happen of the grass to the clay, the Olympic medallista told that, "I take like ten days training in clay. He is a little difficult in the beginning, because after to have played a month in grass he is a little complicated, but already I have been several days and arriving there (Holland) with the first parties it is far better going to be ". But after its pass by Europe, the circuit returns to a quick surface, with two Masters Series and the U.S. Open. For those challenges, González at least explains that the readjustment will last, "one week. After Kitzbühel there is one week free and there I am going away to train to Miami on fast field and goes to be important to rest and to arrive with many desire to Montreal ".

olimpo
07-13-2005, 10:06 PM
Feña is ready to rock the world, vamos!!! :bounce:

Love that, Fergie :lol: Yes he is and we are behind him! VAMOS!!! :bounce:

I♥PsY@Mus!c
07-18-2005, 06:14 PM
Gonzalez Bullies Into Second Round

In first round action at the Priority Telecom Open in Amersfoort, The Netherlands, No. 2 seed Fernando Gonzalez successfully opened his campaign to return to the final.

The 2004 runner-up (l. Verkerk) needed only 49 minutes to defeat Kristof Vliegen of Belgium 6-2, 6-1. Belgian Vliegen. Gonzalez broke serve four times and the only two break points he faced in the second set. He fired five aces to only one double fault.

The hard-hitting Chilean next faces Robin Vik of the Czech Republic who defeated Nicolas Lapentti 6-1, 6-3 in one hour, six minutes. Vik broke Lapentti's serve on four occasions and saved the only break point he faced in the first set.

This is Vik's third second round appearance on the year having won first round matches at Roland Garros and Newport as well. He has never before faced Gonzalez.

Spaniard David Sanchez improved to 3-0 in career meetings against Tomas Behrend of Germany scoring a 6-4, 7-5 win in one hour, 37 minutes.

In the first set, Sanchez stormed to a 4-0 lead, but Behrend came as close as 3-4 before Sanchez served it out 6-4. In the second set, Sanchez was up 5-3 and had 5 m.p while serving at 5-4 but couldn't close. He served three aces and two double faults.

http://www.atptennis.com/en/newsandscores/news/2005/amersfoort_monday.asp

Fergie
07-24-2005, 04:04 PM
:worship:

Gonzalez defeats Calleri to win Priority Telecom Open

AMERSFOORT, Netherlands (AP) -- Fernando Gonzalez of Chile defeated Argentina's Agustin Calleri on Sunday 7-5, 6-3 to win the Priority Telecom Open, his second ATP tour title of the year.

Gonzalez, ranked 27th after reaching this year's Wimbledon quarterfinals, mixed his powerful forehand with drop shots, lobs and deft winners at the net.

The Chilean, who turns 25 next Friday, picked up his sixth career title and $53,000. He also won in Auckland in January.

Calleri broke Gonzalez in the ninth game and was serving for the first set at 5-4 when Gonzalez broke back.

Gonzalez broke again to take the set with a crosscourt backhand that passed the Argentine at the net.

Gonzalez had two match points at 5-2, but the Argentine saved them both. Gonzalez then hit the last two of his six aces to win his final service game at love.

GonzoFan
07-24-2005, 05:34 PM
:banana: I'm so happy for him ! he deserves EVERYTHING :banana:

Fergie - I love your avatar ;) Gonzo looks so good ...

GonzoFan
08-03-2005, 11:10 AM
Here is an article from www.canal13.cl

I'm sleepy so I didn't translate this it's internet translation ... :D

A mark that he still can break

Exactly two years ago, Fernando González, reached his better ranking in the ATP when being located in the place 13º, after reaching the final in Washington, 2003, where he was defeated by the English Tim Henman. In this same tournament, Gonzalez defeated the American Andre Agassi in semis, in one of the best triumphs of his career.

By these days the "Bomber of La Reina" rests in Miami to arrive well prepared at the season of hardcourts, that for the best national tennis player of the moment will begin with the Masters Series of Montreal next Monday 8.

By this decision he will not participate in Washington.

Nevertheless, "Mano de Piedra" must keep the best memories of Washington 2003, where thanks to that he reached the final, he reached the 13º ranking spot, his best historical ranking.

For that reason, it is valid to remember the shining week that the Chilean had from the 28th of July to the 3rd of August of 2003. González arrived at this tournament 14º of the world and with the hope to open of the best way his season in hardcourts after clay tournaments.

Due to his condition of seed he was free in the first round, reason why it calmly waited for his rival in second round. In second round he played against Julien Benneteau (183º by then) and he had an easy win : 6-2, 6-4.

This way he reach 3º round and now has to face giant Croatian Mario Ancic, in a true lawsuit of bombers. But, the national managed to mark the differences at the right moment. González won that match 7-5 and 7-6 (5).

In quarterfinals, the now Olympic medalist, had to face another player with a incredible serve, Max Mirnyi (34º). Gonzo won that match 7-6 (3) 6-2.

In semifinals the awaited match ... Fernando Gonzalez vs 1 of the world of that time, the legendary American Andre Agassi. The match began with a somewhat nervous Chilean, which made it do several unforced errors. Thus it was not strange that the regular game of the North American prevailed in the first set by 3-6.

Nevertheless, the reaction of the Bomber arrived just on time, because with a lot of missiles he remained in the second set by 6-4, reason why everything had to define in a third set. In that third set, the most intense and touching moments were lived on the encounter, and it was define in a tiebreak, that González gained 7-6 (5).

His first final of the year in Washington arrived and he had to play with experimented english Tim Henman. Lamentably the chilean could not extend his shinning week and lost in two sets 3-6 and 4-6, perhaps feeling the fatigue of those intense days.

This way, a the tournament ended without a doubt that the tennis player from La Reina must remember, because after that he reached the best ranking of his career, which not yet can surpass. It is to hope that in his return to the circuit in the Masters Series of Montreal, Cincinnati and the U.S. Open it manages to break his own mark and enters to the top ten.

Some pics of Feña in Washington ...

Papakori
08-03-2005, 01:28 PM
Thanks GonzoFan :)

Fergie
08-03-2005, 02:03 PM
The match against Agassi was amazing but sadly against Henman our Feña played too bad :p

Thanks for the article! :yeah:

enqvistfan
08-05-2005, 06:55 PM
Throught my Enqvist website, I received an email from the webmaster of the Marcelo Rios website. I clicked on the link and I read that :

[From Marcelo Rios Website]
"Although he does not have a lot of points to defend during the rest of the season, Marcelo Rios says it will be hard for Fernando Gonzalez to become Top Ten. Rios says Gonzalez still has a very irregular game and is an aspect he needs to improve. "He needs to learn how to play bad and still win," he said.

The former world number one also congratulated Adrian Garcia for reaching the final at the Challenger of Poznan in Poland. Rios added Garcia now has to aim for the Top 100. "

Apparently, Rios doesn't seem to like Fernando. Well, I have never liked Rios and I hope that Gonzo will be in the top 10 at the end of the year. Hopefully, that Chile, has now, someone like Fernando, so nice with people, it wasn't the case of Marcelo.

Val

Sparko1030
08-05-2005, 07:27 PM
Yeah, from all that I've heard, there is no love lost b/t Fernando and Rios so have to take anything Rios says about him with a grain of salt. Don't know the details but they do have completely opposite personalities.

enqvistfan
08-05-2005, 07:41 PM
I'm not surprised that there are some problems between them. Yes, Fernando is the total opposite of Rios. When I started, a few years ago, to be interested by Fernando, I was a bit sceptical, cause he was Chilean, and maybe, I thought he was like Rios. I know it was stupid to think that. When I follow the carreer of a player, I attach a lot of importance to the personality of the player and Fernando moves me with this great personality. Hopefully, I saw him in Paris Indoor in 2002 smiling during all his match that is why I decided to know more about Gonzo after the Open. I Wish him all the best, and I really hope that he'll enter in the top 10 at the end of the year, just to make Rios speechless !!

Val

Val

Fergie
08-06-2005, 05:04 AM
Marcelo never believes in Feña :ras: ... I remember when Feña started to work with Horacio and almost defeated Marcelo here en Chile and said that he wasn't impressed with his game

iliketennis
08-06-2005, 05:09 AM
At least we all believe in Fena :D

I♥PsY@Mus!c
08-06-2005, 05:14 AM
I haven't known their relationship is, :secret: but Rios didn't say all wrong,Feña can improve to be better. :bounce: Anyway Feña has the motivation to prove him wrong! :boxing:

Thanks for the articles. :)

Vamos Feńa
08-06-2005, 11:56 AM
Now I don't like Rios much more :fiery:
Hey Feña show Marcelo how wrong he is! :fiery: Vamos! :dog:

Sparko1030
08-06-2005, 06:05 PM
When I follow the carreer of a player, I attach a lot of importance to the personality of the player and Fernando moves me with this great personality.

Val

Val[/QUOTE]

I'm the same way. I became interested in tennis after watching Nico in the finals at the Olympics last year and started to follow him. But you can't follow Nico without learning about Fena and Fena really started to grow on me with his sweet personality and sense of humor. I have yet to hear a story about Fena where he behaved badly and he seems to always make time for fans. I would be a fan now no matter what his ranking. :hearts:

And Rios may have a point about Fena's playing style but from what I can tell Fena has made changes these last months and seems ready to set the tennis world on fire! Rios needs to catch up a bit with the latest... :ras:

GonzoFan
08-09-2005, 10:34 AM
I watch Rios on tv every Sunday and he always has something bad to say about Feña ... :mad:
GONZO SHOW HIM WHO YOU ARE !!!!!!

NicoFan
08-12-2005, 02:53 PM
Here's an interview with Fernando from latercera.cl today:

Fernando González lost against Max Mirnyi in the first round of the Masters Series of Montreal and remained so angry that himself asked court to coach al following day at 9 o'clock in the morning. "It is that I felt that I did not play", the first national racquet said subsequently, who had a negative start of the season of fast courts in North America, fundamental in the objective to finish the year inside the 10 better than the world.

Nevertheless, to four days of the traspié in Canada, the "Bomber of The Queen" already is focused in its new objective: the Masters Series of Cincinnati, that begins on Monday. Here, the national player will include an additional problem, therefore until yesterday was a place out of the 16 seeds of the tournament. Thus, it is very probable that touch to face to a favorite one in the first round.

Despite all, the player continues excite in obtaining his supreme goal for this season: to finalize inside the top ten of the Tour, something that never has obtained in his career. "The possibility is there and I have to know to take it. I am playing well. Against Mirnyi did not I play. The it did what had to do and I felt very uncomfortable. But not by losing a match that I am going to throw all by the window".

It aproblemó the fast thing that were the courts and that the balls are peeled, what does difficult to control them?

Recently I spoke with (Andre) Agassi and coincided with me in which feels as if was itself in height. The ball is peeled and I came coaching in other conditions in Miami, where there is a lot of humidity and the balls they are put hairy and heavy.

Cincinnati is a tournament that brings him good memories. It arrived at semifinals the 2002 (lost against Lleyton Hewitt) ...

In Cincinnati has always gone me well. That year I beat Henman, Roddick, among others. Very hard players in this type of courts. I hope a good picture touch myself this year. The Masters Series are complicated tournaments, because are the better. In the first return can touch you a hard type, as the same one Mirnyi, that for to have been seeded is a complicated player to face.

You he was coded large expectations for the season of cement, above all after him of Wimbledon (quarterfinals). What lack to give that great leap?

I am well. Only one must expect that be given and from there stop not. My expectations continue being the same. I want to finish as up as possible and to be top ten. The US Open, for example, is a tournament that motivates me a lot, where already has gone me well in previous years (quarterfinals in 2002).

You and Massú they should defend the points of the Olympic Games from Athens the next week. That pressures you?

Always I have said that I hope had that to defend points all the weeks. That means that one did the things well. And I hope can win more points still, because is the only form to arrive up.

NicoFan
08-12-2005, 03:24 PM
Putting in my two cents about Rios' comments about Fernando.

I don't like Rios - and he and Fena don't get along, which tells me that Fena has very good judgment in people.

And I wish Rios didn't like Nico. I know Fergie has said that Rios has done a lot of good things for Nico - but I also know the poor influence that Rios had on Nico in the early stages of his career - and that totally out weighs the good things.

So - personally I'm thankful Rios doesn't like Fena - Fena doesn't need a "friend" like him.

Too bad the boys didn't have a great mentor like Carlos is for Rafa.

enqvistfan
08-12-2005, 10:37 PM
Nico Fan : First, thank you for the article and for the translation and second, I'm 100 % agree with you about what you said about Rios :yeah:

I'm glad that Chile has a player like Fernando.
I don't follow Nicolas a lot, so I can't really judge if he's someone nice. I saw him a couple of times in Kitz and he seems to be a nice guy. But, since Roland-Garros this year, I try to watch him a little bit more :) I watched the end of his first round this week.

olimpo
08-17-2005, 12:38 PM
Here's the internet translation of a new article from La Tercera (it does not sound good to me) :sad:

Difficult it will be the party of today (11 hours in field three) for Fernando González, by the passage to the third round of the Masters Series of Cincinnati. The Chilean faces the Argentinean David Nalbandian (11º ATP), against whom adds five defeats in six confrontations. But beyond the rival, the great concern for the first national racket is the annoyance that affected to him in the party by the first round in Ohio, before the Serb Novak Djokovic.

The player of the Queen has been dragging for a pair of days an ailment in the thigh of the left leg, that basically bothers to him when it accelerates. "Today (yesterday) amaneció made a good training well and in the evening. There are situations in which it bothers more to him, but must not have problems to play tomorrow (today)", commented Horacio technician of the Rock.

The father del tennis player, Fernando González, commented that everything had to an overload and that that had produced him the annoyance. In this sense, the representative of González advanced that more surely he is than this one does not play the next week the ATP of New Haven, previous match to the Opened one of the United States, real priority for the Olympic champion.

The complica rival of today still more the things, because Nalbandian has seizure to him the hand to the first national racket. The last time that faced was in the Opened one of Australia of this year, in a surface similar to which gambles the match in Ohio. The only triumph of the Chilean was in and World-wide by Equipment of Düsseldorf, in clay. Nalbandian is the one who enjoys with the favoritism, although González tries to surprise.

Here's the link to the original article

http://www.tercera.cl/medio/articulo/0,0,3308_5832_154604354,00.html

FelipeMIA89
08-18-2005, 01:03 AM
This is a translation of what Gonzo said about his recent results and future.
About his wins this week, he said that his service has made the "difference". He saw Nikolay Davydenko and Paul Henri Mathieu and commented that Davydenko hits harder than Nalbandian, but makes more errors.
About Gonzos win today against Nalbandian he said: I've had a bad record with him, but today my game was like never before and was playing very confortably.
About the injury that he has, he said: It bothered me a little but it felt much better. Its probably overload, I don't think its nothing serious. Today I ran without any problems and I'm very calm.
About competing in New Haven next week he said: I want to finish here and see what happens next week.
About US Open he said: Its a long tournament where a lot of things can happen. I very much like to play there, the balls are a little bit slower and it favors me alot.
Vamos GONZO!!

Sparko1030
08-18-2005, 05:26 AM
Thanks for posting Olimpo and Felipe. It is really good to hear that his leg didn't bother him today and he is confident.

GonzoFan
08-18-2005, 05:31 AM
Thanks Felipe :yeah: I just read the interview in Radio Cooperativa I'm soooo happy to hear that he feels good

GonzoFan
08-18-2005, 08:18 AM
Here is an interview with Gonzo from www.latercera.cl

Fernando Gonzalez: "The win over Nalbandian makes me see the future with more trust"

The Chilean defeated the Argentinean by 3-6, 6-1 and 6-2, in the second round of the Masters Series of Cincinnati
Thus, number one of Chile shortens the 5-1 distance that had the Cordovan in the registry of duels between them

He wasn't favorite, had a doubtful beginning... seemed lost, but in the end he retired from the court number 3 of the Masters Series of Cincinnati with one of his more important triumphs of the year. Fernando González removed yesterday a tremendous thorn, after defeating by 3-6, 6-1 and 6-2 to David Nalbandian (11°), that already was raised like his "black beast", because the registry of victories between both threw cleary a 5-1 in favor of the Argentinean.

That advantage of Nalbandian was materialized again. Nalbandian won the first set and broke the serve of "El Bombaerdero de la Reina" in the initial game of the second. But from then on everything was there for the Chilean, who relates his impeccable rise: "the first set I did not play it very well, but after he broke me I began to put everything, to hit the ball with more force, to dominate with my service".

Takes off a weight with your triumph over Nalbandian?

I feel that it was a very important victory, specially because I defeated a player with whom I had very negative results. With this I feel far better, with more confidence. By how the previous matchs with him had occurred, the triumph makes see me the future with more security in what I do.

After your elimination in the first round of Montreal, this revive your idea to be in the Top Ten?

That desire has always been present, is not that it returns to be born with my victory of today (yesterday). But obviously that the more matchs I win, more close I am of that objective.

But if you recover the level that you showed before Montreal...

David Nalbandian is a great player and it will always be important to defeat him. But this confirms to me that I am through a great moment and that I am more solid mentally... at least today I felt very well.

Do you feel an extra pressure because you have to defend the points that you gained last year with the Bronze in Athens ?

I would like to defend many points all the year, because that shows me that I am playing well. My idea is to take care of the points that I won in the Olympic Games, but in this sport one always goes up and down. The key is in that you need to feel that you are playing well and can improve

The next rival

Cincinnati, González thinks about his next rival. The first racket of the country must play today with the Russian Nikolay Davydenko (7°), who defeated the French Paul-Henri Mathieu (43°) with a double 6-2.

In this case the statistic are also unfavorable for the national (0-2), but "if I am serving well, I believe that I can win. He has great shots, but I am playing well ", says "Feña". And he demonstrated yesterday that he speaks in serious

enqvistfan
08-18-2005, 10:11 AM
Thanks a lot Gonzo Fan, we are not worried anymore now :)

olimpo
08-18-2005, 10:27 AM
Thanks a lot Felipe and GonzoFan for the info/articles/translations. So glad to hear that his leg is much better. :)

I♥PsY@Mus!c
08-19-2005, 06:47 AM
Thanks for those articles. :yeah: IMO he should reduce even not to play doubles until he will 100% recover from his injurys. :)

GonzoFan
08-19-2005, 10:44 AM
From www.latercera.cl

Gonzalez did not defend the points of Athens 2004

Fernando González was eliminated in the third round of the Masters Series of Cincinnati
After the defeat against the Russian Nikolay Davydenko, the Chilean will leave the group of the Top 20 of the world, because he didn't defend the semifinals of the Olympic Games of Athens.

The serve did not work to him yesterday as it happened in the match with the Argentinean David Nalbandian. It was the great problem of the Chilean, who fell by 6-3 and 6-4 against the Russian Nikolay Davydenko, and leaving the Masters Series of Cincinnati.

It was an evening of many errors from the national player, who never could take the hand to his rival. The things started bad for the "Bomber of the Queen", when he gave his serve in the second game of the first set. And it was worse when he was incapable to give back the gentility to the Russian, when Feña wasted six break points in the rest of the set.

In the second set, everything seemed lost for the national player when he gave again his service in third game. Nevertheless, it managed to react and it recovered the disadvantage in the sixth game. There it seemed that the Chilean would wake up, but it was only a mirage. Break in the seventh game and of in ahead everything it was there for Davydenko, that with absolute calm closed the set by 6-4.

González, like Nicolas Massú, arrived at Cincinnati with the mission to defend the points that reached the year last in Athens. And both failed in the objective. While the viñamarino lost in first round and will leave the Top 50, "El Bombardero de la Reina" was not able to defend the 205 points that he gained in Greece and he will leave the Top 20 next Monday (today he is 18°). The player will appear 21° or 22°, depending on what the Russian Mikhail Youzhny does. If this last one advances today to semifinals in Ohio.

Where in any case it will have an advance will be in the Champions Race. Here Gonzalez will jump of 13° to 11°, reason why its option to reach the Masters of Shanghai is still in his hands. The Chilean, whom next week will play in New Haven, has 248 points and the tenth place has 294 (Mariano Puerta).

Fernando Gonzalez will be 11° in the Champions Race, reason why he will gamble his classification to Shanghai in the U.S. Open and the Masters Series of Madrid and Paris.

The first Chilean racket will return to action next week in New Haven.

Can someone translate the article from Las Ultimas Noticias (http://www.lun.com/deportes/Tenis/detalle_noticia.asp?cuerpo=701&seccion=806&subseccion=902&idnoticia=C385828846974653) , please :D

Papakori
08-19-2005, 11:42 AM
thanks gonzofan :)

Vamos Feńa
08-19-2005, 01:35 PM
Thanks ;)
I would love to see him in Shanghai :D just hope he'll be ok in New Haven :unsure:
Vamos Feńa!

enqvistfan
08-19-2005, 03:07 PM
Thanks a lot for the translation :)

+alonso
08-20-2005, 12:55 AM
Wow i didn't know about he's trip to New Haven .... anyways.. R you sure he's going to New haven?

GonzoFan
08-20-2005, 03:12 AM
Wow i didn't know about he's trip to New Haven .... anyways.. R you sure he's going to New haven?

yeah ... Feña said he was going to play in New Haven next week

GonzoFan
08-20-2005, 09:09 AM
In "Las Ultimas Noticias" there is an awesome interview/article about Feña in Miami
I'll scan the pages later when I buy the newspaper and translate it ;)
Here in Chile is 4:07 am ... so I'll go to sleep and then around 12 pm I'll go to the store and buy it :yeah:

olimpo
08-20-2005, 12:16 PM
In "Las Ultimas Noticias" there is an awesome interview/article about Feña in Miami
I'll scan the pages later when I buy the newspaper and translate it ;)
Here in Chile is 4:07 am ... so I'll go to sleep and then around 12 pm I'll go to the store and buy it :yeah:

Thanks a lot GonzoFan :) I saw the article and read it briefly and it's really good and shows once again Fernando's great sense of humor. I had it translated through the internet to post here but unfortunately most of the article/interview does not translate well through the programme.

So I'm looking forward to your translation. I'll attach the article here as PDF file and so you don't need to scan it. ;) There are 2 more pages as PDF files which I also tried to attach but unfortunatley they are too large and have no idea how to reduce the size of a PDF file as I only have the Acrobat Reader.

olimpo
08-20-2005, 12:24 PM
I tried to open the file to see if it works, but it does not for me :confused: Hope it's only for me and you can open it.

enqvistfan
08-20-2005, 12:48 PM
I tried to open the file to see if it works, but it does not for me :confused: Hope it's only for me and you can open it.

Thank you for the file. I opened it. Just go to this file, save the target as, and then, when it's downloaded, just open it and it works.

Now, I'm going to read it, it seems to be interesting and the pics are great :yeah:

GonzoFan
08-21-2005, 12:50 AM
:hug:Thanks a lot Olimpo :hug:

down is the other part of the page Olimpo attached

here is the translation :

http://www.lun.com/imagenes/2005/08/19/4613.jpg

Fernando Gonzalez: "The best thing of everything is that we made happy a lot of people in Chile"

The tennis player of La Reina says that "there is no time to celebrate", from a year of the Olympic medals in Athens, but he is touched with the most important memories of his career.

"Welcome to the castle of Conde Drácula, where the light is not known", Carlos Burgos says when the enter to the room. The disorder is absolute. Right in front of the window in the hotel Marriot in Mason, Cincinnaty, there is a wall. To Fernando González it doesn't matter. He even prefers it, because that way he does not have reflection in the screen of his computer. He doesn't listen Carlos Burgos's comments. He only wants to connect the notebook. His face changes when he sees that there is wireless and that immediately he will be able to chat. Can stay all day there, happy, in contact with his friends.

All the clothes are in the floor. Two purses with wheels and one enormous suitcase complete the surroundings. "I always travel with a lot of stuff. I have the Golden Card in the airline and they do not charge me overweight. But in every trip I lose half of all my clothes.

He laugh at the messages from his friends. Some audio messages arrive and the starts to forward them . When we ask him about what he would have done playing tennis at another time, he supposes: "I would have died, but I believe that before all were more friends, they hang out together play the guitar together. Now each one live their world ".

It has been a year since Athens. He closes the screen and it remains thinking. "Puta, the time has passed quickly", reflects.

Immediately, he begins to rewind the facts. Rather, the emotions: "the medals are there, but the best thing of everything is to knoe that we made happy a lot of people in Chile.

The role of fool

In Cincinnati Feña is with Rodrigo Briceño, that plays tennis and studies in a college of Los Angeles. González, a guy of affection, always invites his friends to the tournaments. Many of them dreamed about being tennis players and Gonzalez shows them the world that they always wished to live. All of them celebrated the triumph in Athens, because they are unconditional. They help his to prepare, they are concentrated with him and they even are with him in his free time. When there is time, he likes to share in the roasts, where he plays the role of farcical. He bothers to the person that cook the meat and to the ones that eat it. He himself eats everything he can, but later says that it was bad and things like that :lol:.

When leaving the after a match, after beating Nalbandian, a gentleman says to him: "González, strong forehand eh". The Bomber responds to him with a smile and comments: "These gringos become crazy with the forechand. They celebrate when I hit it". Also it is the weakness of the ladies, who see in him an ideal son-in-law, Latin lover. "In serious the old ladies shout things to me? I didn't notice that"

Forever

In third round he loses with the Russian Nikolay Davydenko, fifth seed. Through his mind it only passes the idea to take the first airplane to Miami, to see his sister and to rest. "Saturday I want to go to play golf, but it is to warm in Miami. In fact, most probable I think I will watch the chilean channels and stay there".

On sunday is the "anniversary" of the medals. Are you going to do something special?

- No, I will be in Miami and I will return to New Haven on Monday to continue playing. There is no time to celebrate.

You know clearly that no longer they are going to erase you from the history of Chile.

- people always mark a tennis player with a achievement. To me they locate me by the powerful forechand and because I won the Gold Medal in doubles in Athens. And that is going to be for always.

Do you think that you managed to transcend in life?

- the truth is that I would like that they remembered me only like what I am: a tennis player. But, perhaps like tennis player, the grandmas would not know who I am. They know me because of the Olympic medals.

What has been the most complicated thing?

I must recognize that I felt fear in Santiago in the return. There was a press conference in the Sport City of Iván Zamorano in which people almost overflow themselves. All they were too much excited. They had to remove us with the police men. In Concepcion there were two to three thousand people under the hotel every day. That had never occurred in tennis. It was pretty, but complicated.

Why?

Because I wanted to go out with my friends and I couldn't. I couldn't go anywhere.

It was hard to be in Chile

- In those days yes, but I don't change that for anything. It was awesome to won the medals for Chile. In the United States they have twenty tournaments, the NBA, football American, the baseball. In Chile we have few things and is necessary to enjoy them to the maximum.

How do you see yourself ten years after Athens?

I would like to be in tennis, related to it . I do not know if still playing. It is long time, but I would like to be able to be more in Chile. It would lovw to help the boys, but hopefully without having to travel.

Would you like to teach?

I have never done it. I do not have patience to read a catalogue, nor to arm something by pieces, but I do have patience to work with De La Peña, ja, ja, ja, ja. Actually I never get angry ... It's hard to see me angry.

Gonzo, as they call him in the United States, arrives at the room of the hotel. Strip everything within the purses. he doesn't a t-shirt and he put on another one. He buys a passage for Friday, early in the morning. In the lobby awaits for him, Nicolas Massú, who on the following day travels to New York. ("Me cago de la risa con el Nico") I laugh all the time with Nico. It was pretty to won the medal of double and to win it with him, with whom I have shared... Puta! I have shared more than half of my life with him".

For a long time they have not been meeting. It is the last night in Cincinnati and return to be together. Athens is the prettier memory that they have, but the life continues in tennis. The viñamarino wants to retake the level and the Bomber of the Queen, to arrive at the Masters. González synthesizes it: " The only thing that could be the same as Athens it would be to win a Grand Slam or Davis Cup. And now we go for that".

GonzoFan
08-21-2005, 01:59 AM
http://www.lun.com/IMAGENES/2005/08/19/4614.jpg

The new toy of Fernando

Fernando González is always thinking about returning to Chile. Communicates daily by telephone or chat with his friends. Every day it reviews the news of the country by Internet, although he recognizes that it is let guide by the photos and the holders. Whatsoever that, the supply of the global connectivity gave a new tool to him to be still more fitted with Chile. It does not replace the plates that his mother prepares, but it approaches a little more.

The Olympic medallista bought a television by Internet, that is flat, of fifteen inches and that he takes with him to everywhere with his personal computer. The same Fernando explains the operation of the novel apparatus: "a device in the office of my dad is installed who sends the signal. I pledge the television set in any place in the world, I connect myself to Internet and I can see all the channels of Chile. It helps me to spend the free hours. The other day I saw when I was in Cincinnati "El Dia Menos Pensando". (a chilean tv show)

The television set already has generated anecdotes: "The "huaso" Massú didn't believe me when I told him. He thought that I was joking. He said to me that those things didn't exist ", explains the Bomber of the Queen, who adds that "it means to me to travel with one more suitcase, but is worth the trouble. I feel a little more near my home".

enqvistfan
08-21-2005, 08:13 AM
Thanks a lot for the translations. The things said are true, especially when he invites friends on the tour. In Kitz, he invited two friends. He's a very interesting person and it's good for tennis. And, the person son in law LOL I'm not surprised. Her future mother in law will be happy I'm sure !! And, Fernando is worse than a woman, a lot of suitcases LOL If he has his computer, maybe he'll see the forum and see the support he has !!!

Great man, proud to be one of your fan :yeah:

GonzoFan
08-21-2005, 10:01 AM
http://www.lun.com/imagenes/2005/08/19/4627.jpg

Feña's Friends: "Fernando never has gotten dizzy with the fame"

Like "simple, worried and very played for his friends" the friends of "El Bombardero de la Reina describe him."

Their friends say that Fernando González gets upset when he cannot talk with them in messenger. The virtual Club of Tobi is his daily connection with Chile and the great relief in the rigorous life of the tennis player. "He can be hours chatting, he likes to know everything that happens", Rodrigo Piti Alfaro, ex- tennis player comments, almost engineer and one of Feña's closest friend.

Although González constructed its network of the affection around tennis, with those companions of the promotion who did not undertake a professional career, the player is still friends with them. One of his deeper friendships is with the soccer player Nicolas Córdova.

"we met when I was in the inferior ones of Colo Colo and he was just opened himself in tennis. Since there, we never separated, we are really close friends. He is always worried about me and my family and, when he is in Europe, he comes to my house", says Córdova, that chose Gonzalez as godfather of his daughter Martina.

Alfaro says that "Fernando is a very simple person and he made the other person like him because of that. He never got dizzy with the fame and, when the group joins, he is one more of the gang", explains Piti, one of the privileged people whom González usually invites to the tournaments.

Córdova remembers that, "When González won the medals in Athens, I could not see any of matches. I was in the mountain and they had to tell to me, but I felt really happy ", confesses.

Alfaro thinks the same: "He was brilliant. When he won the doubles with Massú, he called me a while after and he did not understand my euphoria. "Hey, hueón, here they are all celebrating in the streets. you guys were amazing" I said to him and only there he notice what he did".

http://www.lun.com/IMAGENES/2005/08/19/4617.jpg

"He wanted to arrive high and he did it"

William Capdeville assures that he takes of the hat for Fernando González as a friend and as a tennis player. With the experience of his brother Paul, who climbs quiet, Capdeville has been able to calibrate better the successes of his companion of parties.

"Fernando wanted to arrive at a goal and he fulfilled it. He is a winner. It was disciplined in the work and that way he could raise as far as he wanted to ", explains the older of the Capdeville's, that praises the humility of the Bomber and describes him like "an example" of how to make the things with professionalism.

"When we are together we spoke just the necessary about tennis. Feña has the great quality to listen to understand, without losing the attention. He cares about everything in his friends's lifes. His triumph of Athens made him a stronger guy on the inside, but with us he is still the same person as always ".

I♥PsY@Mus!c
08-21-2005, 10:12 AM
Thanks GonzoFan and olimpo! :kiss:
but I do have patience to work with De La Peña, ja, ja, ja, ja.
Where is De La Peña? :bigwave: And what is ja ja ja,it that equal to bla bla bla in English? :lol:
Actually I never get angry ... It's hard to see me angry.
Ya at least I know it on court. :yeah:

GonzoFan
08-21-2005, 10:17 AM
at least here in Chile we write jajajaja when we laugh ;)

I♥PsY@Mus!c
08-21-2005, 10:20 AM
Thanks! :D
I saw some spanish forum and they wrote ja ja ja as well. ;)

GonzoFan
08-21-2005, 10:35 AM
http://www.lun.com/IMAGENES/2005/08/19/4616.jpg

The Kids dream

González developed a special fiber since the triumph in Athens. And it began when returning to Santiago: "it was really special to be in the office of the President, to see the children of the Teleton in the street wating for us in their wheelchairs. We passed by a hospital and the patients from the inside saluted us. As I said before, we made much people happy. And I felt very happy for giving all that to them ".

- What did you do with the medals, with the clothes? You donated them?

Well, I returned with four medals from Greece, the ones of Nico and mine. I gave the clothes to a guy from the COCh that said to me that they were for a museum. I imagine that they will be there. The medals are in the house of my parents. I am not the kind of person that keeps the things. For example, in Wimbledon I used the same clothes every day and I gave them to Toto Yarur, he is making a museum of the fashion and tennis. But now I believe that I am going to change and I am going to keep things for beneficial auctions.

- You have desire to support that kind of causes?

I would love to. The other day I knew the reality the mistreated children and was something that really touch me. I want to do something and I want to do it soon.

- What motivated to you to take this decision?

Perhaps I feel that I have the power of which just by to greet a boy I can make it happy. It is necessary to be thankful in life. I have sacrificed much to have what I have. Others also have been sacrificed, but they do not have it.

olimpo
08-21-2005, 10:37 AM
Thank you so much GonzoFan :worship: I agree with Val you are an :angel:

Much appreciated :hug:

And thanks for letting us know about the jajajajaja as I have always been wondering what it means ;)

Vamos Feńa
08-21-2005, 11:08 AM
OMG thanks to everyone who find all these articles about Feńa!!! :worship::worship: You guys are superb! :D:D
And Feńa damn he is just fantastic and cute :D I've never thought there are such persons in sport who are still an ordinary people! Feńa you're simply cool and great!! :hug: :hug: :hug:

*Ljubica*
08-21-2005, 12:33 PM
Hi :wavey: I don't get so much time on the Net lately :sad: but I read an article today I thought you might be interested it..............it says Feña and Nico Massu will be playing an exhibition together against the Bryan Brothers on 14th September. I tried to paste the link to the article, but it wouldn't work :sad: but here it is anyway............from yesterday's El Mercurio":-

EXHIBICIÓN:

Ya hay escenario

Definitivamente, el Coliseo Monumental de La Serena será el recinto que acogerá la exhibición que jugarán Fernando González y Nicolás Massú ante los gemelos Bob y Mike Bryan. El lance se disputará a las 22 horas del 14 de septiembre.

And I never really knew what "jajaja" was either - so thanks for the explanation! Here in England we would just write "hahaha" - so I guess it means the same!!!!

I♥PsY@Mus!c
08-21-2005, 01:11 PM
Thanks Rosie. :smooch:
Can Feña and Nico beat them? :aplot: Watch more Wesley Moodie/Stephen Huss doubles matches boys. :aplot:

olimpo
08-21-2005, 01:35 PM
Hello Rosie, nice to see you again here :wavey:

I've heard about that exhibition which will take place also to celebrate the gold medal again after it has been a year now :) which is BTW exactly 1 year today. It was the 21st of August 2004 when Fernando first won the Bronze and afterwards with Nico the first Gold ever for Chile in the Olympic history :hatoff: :worship:

GonzoFan
08-22-2005, 05:20 AM
http://www.latercera.cl/showjpg/0,,1_155295955_246,00.jpg

"The day that we retire we will continue being friends"

The santiaguino (Gonzo) and the viñamarino (Nico) have developed at the same time their careers in the circuit and in Athens they shared the joy to touch the sky. Since a year of the historical performance in Greece, the Chileans emphasize the special friendship that they have in the circuit.

The destinies of Fernando González and Nicolas Massú have always been connected. They won their first tournament together in the US Open (doubles) in 1997 and later they played their first ATP Final against each other, in Orlando. Together they took Chile to won twice the ARAG World Team Cup and took back the country to the World Groups of Davis Cup, after 20 years.

If all the lived in Athens was already special, the fact of to have obtained together the historical triumph made it still more special. On the side was the friend of always, with whom has been burning phases almost parallel form in the very impersonal ATP circuit. "Of course that obtaining the medals with Nicolas made everything still more spectacular. I consider Nico my friend. In bad moments I know I can trust in him. We grew together, we know ourselves since we were 10 years-old and we began to burn phases together. First he gave a jump, later I gave It, later I passed him, later Nico took another advance and that's the way we have been doing in a long time and today we are really even ", says González.

The friendship in the circuit ATP

After Athens it was speculated a "separation" of Nico and Feña's friendship. Although Massú confesses that "in a while that could have been thought", today assures that the relation is close as always. "My relation with Fernando is since we were childs. We are the only two Chileans that are in the main circuit of the ATP, we always see each other and it would have been really bad if we weren't friends. He helps me and I help him. Perhaps in the tournaments we do not have much time to share. Each one is worried about our responsibilities. There are tournaments that we going to eat almost every day together and in other tournaments we don't even see. Our friendship is good and everything walks very well ", explains the "Vampire". González says that Massú is a confidence person, in which I can trust. "I tell him things and he tells things to me. Things that we don't talk about with other tennis players. For example, if we do not see in a long time, as soon as we return to be in a tournament together we called immediately. We counted the details of what has happened in Chile (laughs), things about our friends and all that. The day that we retire I know that we will continue being friends, because in addition our families are very united ", comments the "Bomber of the Queen".

"We have a very sincere friendship and we say everything. For example If he says to me that he cannot play doubles, I respect that. In Kitzbuhel he was a little injured in the shoulder and there was no problem that he did not play. That is good ", explains Massú.

Clearly everything changes when they have to face each other on the court. "If we played against each other we threw a ball in the face to tell you something, because it is part of the game. But outside the court everything is very different ", says González.

olimpo
08-22-2005, 09:45 AM
Thanks once again GonzoFan :) .....there's been much for you to translate recently ;)

Papakori
08-22-2005, 10:56 AM
thanks gonzofan

GonzoFan
08-22-2005, 11:27 AM
Thanks once again GonzoFan :) .....there's been much for you to translate recently ;)

You're welcome ;)
and I'm not done yet ...

thanks gonzofan

:D you're welcome

http://www.latercera.cl/showjpg/0,,1_155415535_246,00.jpg

"Before playing against Dent I was destroyed"

Fernando González remembers the magic week in Athens

The "Bomber of the Queen" went to Greece with the promise to give a medal to Chile and brought two. Today he values all the effort that did in the Olympic Games, where in two days he went from the absolute frustration to the total joy. The Chilean gives his vision of how he saw the campaign of Nicolas Massú and says that he was happy with what he obtained, although for him everything wasn't perfect, as it was for the viñamarino (Nico).

Fernando González does not hide the feelings that lived in Athens. For him it was one week "almost perfect", that only came to ruin that painful defeat in semifinals against the American Mardy Fish. He coexisted with the pain, but also with the satisfaction to recover from the failure. Today, when a year has passed since along with Nicolas Massú reached the glory in Greece, remembers the best seven days of his sport life

Since a year of the Olympic Games in Athens. Do you think that the unique opportunity perhaps of have won a Gold Medal in singles escaped?

You always want more in tennis, unless you are the best one of all times. But as the things occurred, everything was very weird. I lost a match against Mardy Fish that I must have won calmly. This, while "Nico" won and I slept with him in the same room. I was really sad, because I wasn't going to play the final. And although the following day I had a very important match for the bronze, but at that moment I didn't care about it. I was very bitter, because I could no longer reach gold. In addition against Fish I had a problem with my ankle and I did not know how it was going to react the next day, when I had to play single and doubles.

And that sensation until when did last?

Until five minutes before entering to the court to play against (Taylor) Dent I was destroyed. I didn't want to know nothing about that match. But on television I saw a podio before leaving to play and said: "Well, if I win I can be up there, if I lose, I can't and I have to stay down of it". There I saw that the difference was big between winning and losing the bronze.

At that time, the prize was great, because before leaving to play in Athens you said that you went to get a medal and you already had the one of bronze in singles and added one in doubles...

I said that I was going to gain a medal, did not know of which color, but I went with that goal. Those were my first Games and one never knows what can happen. For the next ones I will be 28 years old and, if I have bad luck to be injured, perhaps I won't be able to go to others.

Maybe for that reason, perhaps, you had the frustration of haven't gained the gold medal, as Massu did it...

I went to get a medal and brought two. Obviously one gets excited in the way and mainly because of the effort that it would have been awesome to gain everything.

The doubles were a prize more unexpected than the singles?

I would have liked to won them more easily (he laughs). The day of the doubles was something incredible. I won the bronze and later the gold in the doubles. I had never been so tired in my life, but I had never been so happy either. That day was perfect.

And for the next Games, how do you see yourself?

I will go for a medal. But that's in 4 years and many things can happen. I want to be there, because it is one week in four years. And hopefully I can do something important again.

GonzoFan
08-22-2005, 12:09 PM
I also want to say that I just finish reading an interview with Nico Massú where they told him

"- I see that it is the medal in singles the one that you want more, because you have only spoken obout that one."

and he said :

"- No, the gold with Fernando does not have price. I won and I did it with a friend with whom we have burned all the phases together. That has a great value."

I think that what Nico said it's just amazing and beautiful and shows us that their friendship it's real and beautiful

A BIG :hug: TO NICO !!!!! :smooch:

Fergie
08-22-2005, 01:55 PM
I love remember the Olympics :inlove: ... Thanks Feña for your fight! :hug:

I♥PsY@Mus!c
08-22-2005, 09:45 PM
Before Olympics I haven't known about him at all.Thanks TV broadcasted the match and let me see him to beat the duck in Olympics. :clap2: Even the final result was not totally perfect as he thinks, :sad: it's so nice to know a great player.I do like his style and attitude, :rocker: he drives me to be crazy. :crazy:

enqvistfan
09-03-2005, 02:30 PM
Here's an interview published in the French Tennis Mag in 2003. The interview is very long so I'll post parts everyday !!

INTERVIEW WITH... FERNANDO GONZALEZ

<< When I was a child, I dreamt to play the Davis Cup for my country >>

He has been one of the biggest revelations of the year 2002 coming back from the 135th to the 17th in the world ranking. He won two tournaments, 1/8 F at the Australian Open and quarter finalist at the US OPEN, Fernando Gonzalez, 22, is the spearhead of the south-American tennis full of vitality.

Following in Marcelo's Rios wake, Chile discovered this new prince of the clay who is performant on the other surfaces, as he showed in the Basel final (on carpet). He's coached by the former player from Argentina, Horacio de la Peña, Gonzalez is not the kind of man who plays finely, his game is based on powerful groundstrokes. What can we say about his powerful forehand, qualified as "nuclear power" by Pete Sampras, who has been dominated by the player from Santiago last year in Miami ?

In this interview, Fernando talks about his dreams, his childhood, and his famous forehand, he said he could "kill someone" with it. He also mentions his relationship with Marcelo Rios with whom he'd like to win the Davis Cup. Before the start of the clay season, let's read the interview of a possible favourite of the next French championships.

TM (Tennis Magazine) and FG (Fernando Gonzalez)

TM : In 2002, you came from the 135th to the 17th rank in the atp ranking, thanks to two victories on the tour and one quarter final at the US OPEN. How has your life changed ?

FG : Before, I played and I came back at the hotel, that's all. Now, there are more requests, mainly from the medias. But, I'm very happy because it's thanks to my good results. Personally, it doesn't change anything. My life is still the same. I still have my friends in Chile, even if I have good friends on the tour.

TM : We are used to see the latin players good on clay. You, you play well on fast courts as well or in indoors, we saw that in Basel where you played the final...

FG : It's true that I made a very good season on hard courts but the two tournaments I won in 2002 were on clay. I used to think that my best surface was clay but I'm starting to think that I prefer hard courts (smile) !

TM : How do you explain that you play so well on fast courts ?

FG : I think i have the game which suits well to that kind of surface. I made some progress with my return, a lot of things have changed in my tennis

TM : If you have to introduce yourself to the French audience, what would you say ?

FG : I'd say that I won Roland-Garros juniors, 4 years ago. I'd add that I love hitting the ball as strong as possible (smile). It's my game, it's like that (thinking). I have a lot of good memories in Roland-Garros. I won the tournament in the single and in the double, each time against Juan-Carlos Ferrero. For me, it's the biggest tournament in the world. Moreover, players from South-America and Spain absolutely want to win in Paris because they grew up on clay. It's our common dream.

TM : Does it mean that when you were a child, you watched Roland-Garros on television ?

FG : I have always dreamt of Roland-Garros in front of my tv. Today, my dream is to win the only grand slam tournament on clay. But, I'd be happy to win one of the other grand slams, but for us, the latinos, Roland-Garros is special.

TM : When did you start to play tennis ?

FG : I was 5 years old. My father used to play with his friends. So, I came with him, at La Reina's club, in Santiago, and I started to take lessons. But, at that period, I was playing football (soccer) a lot. I loved both sports but I prefered playing tennis.

TM : Why did you prefer to play tennis instead of football ; football is the number 1 sport in Chile ?

In tennis, there's only you on the court. No need to count on the others to play well to win. I like tennis more because it's simple : if you play well, you win, if you don't play well, you loose. It depends only on you.

TM : Do you still like soccer ?

FG : Yes but I can't really practrice because I don't want to be injured. But, I love going to the stadiums and watch the matches.

TM : Since you started to play until now, what happened ?

FG : I have never stopped (smile) ! Until the age of 8, I've been to the tennis school, but I took private lessons. At the age of 12, I left to Miami and I spent 3 years. My father fought that it would be easier in Miami for me to travel, because he wouldn't have the money to pay me the trips from Chile once or twice per year. Moreover, I started to play very well and as we are a small country, I didn't have many opponents. The last reason why I went to Miami it's because my parents wanted to proctect me from the various requests from the medias.

TM : It's at that period that you started to travel more ?

FG : Yes, as everything worked well for me, I travelled more. I even lost at the final of the "Petit As" [French tournaments for young players], in Tarbes, against Ferrero, again ! But at that period, I had no private coach because it was expensive, so with other players, we shared him. His name was Marco Scolliva. Then, when I became pro, I've worked with Raul Viver for 1.5 years, and then, I stayed several months without any coach. Then, I started to work with Horacio.

TM : How was the first meeting with Horacio ?

FG : In fact, I've known him for a long time. I knew him as a player and I knew that he was a coach. In Roland-Garros, in 2001, Horacio told me "We're going to see, maybe we can make something together". I've thought for 2 or 3 months. I was thinking to a lot of persons and finally, I thought that Horacio was the person, so I went to Buenos Aires. We start to work together just after the 2001 US OPEN. We've been to a "challenger", and we immediately had good results. He came with me on different tournaments and in december, I worked a lot my physical condition to start in january in the best conditions. Since I am with Horacio, I changed two or three things in my game and the things are getting better.

TM : What kind of things did you improve ?

FG : My backhand mainly. It's better, more efficient. One thing changed as well, is that all my former coaches said "don't hit the ball so strong", Horacio, says "Hit as stronger as you can, it's your game". But, I can sometimes make drop shots (smile)

TM : How do you plan the training with him ?

FG : When I have one or two weeks off, I go to Buenos Aires, where Horacio lives, and I practrice there. But, in fact, we make the biggest work during the tournaments. If I win, everything is ok, but if I loose, We immediately work again to improve the things which doesn't work

TM : Could you say that Horacio became a friend ?

FG : Outside the court, we try to have our own lives because it's tough to live 24h/24 with the same person. But, we have a very good relationship without being "close friends". Because when you are close friends, you absolutely want to spend more time with this person and I think that it could make some problems between a player and a coach.

olimpo
09-03-2005, 03:10 PM
Thanks so much for the translation Val :hug: I'm looking forward to the next part :)

enqvistfan
09-03-2005, 04:16 PM
[Second part of the interview]

TM : You share Horacio de la Peña with another young talented player, Jose Acasuso from Argentina. With him, would you say that there's a friendship ?

FG : Yes, with Jose, we are really good friends. He is 2 years younger than me but I don't remember exactly since how many years I know him : several years, maybe 6. In 2002, we often travelled together. We have met 4 times.

TM : A few minutes ago, you said that you worked with Horacio, you improved your backhand. But, your forehand is your best stroke. Pete Sampras says that it's a nuclear power and Sjeng Schalken says that it's a road roller. Some even say that it's at the moment, the most powerful forehand on the atp tour...

FG : It's true that when it's in the court, it's perfect but... I could kill someone (laugh) ! The forehand is my best stroke. I love hitting them all and try to win matches only with this stroke. I have always had this stroke, but now I missed less points with it, that what makes the difference. When I was a junior, I had the feeling that my ball didn't enter in the court (smile). Finally, I like that, that people say that I'm an "explosive" (or spark) player.

TM : Early, you have been passionnated by tennis. Until when have you studied ?

FG : I've been to school until the age of 14 then I went to a school with other persons practricing sports. They helped me a lot cause they knew how it was, to travel and study at the same time and to not be able to attend to the courses.

TM : And what did you like at school ?

FG : Nothing (smile). No, but it's true that when I was a child, I was only thinking about playing tennis and everybody told me at school. During my holidays, I was playing tennis. I don't think I'd do other thing.

TM : Today, on the atp tour, you face the best players in the world. Who are, according to you, the toughest players to beat ?

FG : When Marat Safin plays good, I think he's unbeatable and his forehand is as powerful as mine. Andy Roddick has an incredible serve. There are other competitive players at the moment. And, L. Hewitt... He runs everywhere...

TM : In Cincinnati, in the semis, you pushed him until the 3rd set

FG : Yes, but he's very tough to play because if you can't make the ball advance fast, he's everywhere and he gives the feeling that the court is smaller. He has just hit the ball from one side, he's already on the other side. You have to hit harder and played in the corners if you want to win points. He's very impressive. He's an excellent athlete, a real fighter and it's for those reasons that he's number 1.

TM : When you were a child, your favourite player was Boris Becker. For which reason ?

FG : Before all, it was because he had a lot of charism. I remember of his first victories in Wimbledon, I had 5 or 6 years old. I was at home in Chile, I was watching him on tv and jumped and made incredible volleys. I immediately liked his way of play and I still like him today but I have a different game.

TM : Players who made the experience, say that playing and winning the Davis Cup is an incredible feeling. Is it an important competition for you ?

FG : YEs, I was going to the stadium with my father to attend to the Davis Cup matches. It was the glorious period of Gildemeister, and I was only starting to play tennis. I dreamt to be there, in this stadium, and play for Chile. I was thinking : "It's what I really want to do ". When the D Day arrived, the first time I played for Chile, against Argentina, I was moved. I was 17.

TM : You weren't born at that period, but in 1976, Chile played at home, a Davis Cup final vs Italy. Is it an important memory for your family ?

FG : Chile lost 1-4. Of course, I wasn't born, but my father was there and he told me how it was. Italy had a strong team with Panatta, who was at the top. In 1975, the Chileans went to the semies, they lost to Sweden. But, the players arrived the day before the beginning of the matches, due to political problems in Chile.

TM : In Chile, tennis is a real tradition, Chile used to have great players..

FG : Ayala, Fillol, Gildemeister, Rios... Yes, it's true, tennis is very popular in Chile, especially since the DC final. But, from Gildemeister till Rios, about 8 years without a good player. And, now, we are three who are succeeding : Marcelo Rios, Nicolas Massu and myself. We are still young, and we have the time to make something in Davis Cup

TM : How do you explain the good health of the Chilean tennis ?

FG : You have to be good and you have to work hard to become good. It's the secret

TM : It's the secret of the South-American tennis as well ?

FG : It's true that everything is ok now for the "latinos" and especially for the players from Argentina : there are about 7 in the top 50. Six years ago, the south-americans were only two in the top 100. Today, we are about 15. It's easier to travel for us. We didn't have a lot of money a few years ago due to our political problems. Now, life is less tough, we can easily travel.

TM : You are very close to Chile ?

FG :I love my country. And, if there's a place I'd like to get old, it's at home. I regret to not be able to spend a lot of time there at the moment, because the most important thing in life is to be close to one's family and friends. But the funny thing is that when I think to Chile, I often think of the tennis courts. When I was a child, the club where I learnt tennis was at 20 meters from my home. Today, they rebuilt the Reina club further and it's not like before.

TM : So, your victory in 2002, in Viña del Mar, Chile, must be one of your best memories ?

FG : Winning a grand slam is the most important thing but winning this title remains one of my best memories so far. Because i was playing at home, in front of my family and friends, the stadium was crowded, and cheered up me by screaming my name. At the end of the match, i wore the soccer outfit from the Chilean Team, it was an incredible experience.

TM : Could you say a few words about your family ?

FG : I have two sisters : one older than me, Patricia and one younger than me, Jessica. They both like tennis a lot but play just for fun. Patricia used to play for the university team of Miami and then North Carolina but she stopped. Jessica, goes to school and hits the ball. My mother, Patricia, plays for fun as well and my father, Fernando, has been the president of the Reina Club where i started to play. My mother doesn't work and my father is a businessman specialised in the flour mill. He has a lot of work, in Chile, we eat a lot of bread (laugh) !

TM : What are your hobbies when you don't play tennis ?

FG : I love surfing on the net. During the tournaments, I have my portable computer, I check my e-mails and I chat a lot. I'm crazy of computers, games etc.. I like writing e-mails to my friends in Chile. I can't do that everyday but I try whenever it's possible. With my family, we stay in touch by phone, everyday.

TM : When you walk in the stadiums or when you go to watch others matches, you often have your walkman. What kind of music do you listen ?

FG : I love that, music (smile) ! I listen every kind of music, but I love LA LEY, a very good Chilean band. But, I don't really have a favourite singer or a style of music I listen the most. There are too much singers I like, I can't really say that I have a favourite.

TM : A Chilean newspaper said that you were one of the most important bachelors. We can even read that you are "the best match" of Chile ?

FG : How do you know that ? (laugh) What can I answer ? I read that article as well, but they didn't contact me to write it. It's pleasant. If they want to write that I'm single and rich, no problem !!

TM : Is it easy with the girls, now, that you are famous and popular, and that people say many good things about you ?

FG : Oh no, it's never easy (laugh) ! But, it's funny to read what people write such things about me. I simply try to do my job, to play a good tennis, you know. According to me, you have to play well and have good results to have after, the attention of the medias outside the "sports" page. So, if they like to talk about me like that, why not.

TM : You are not the most popular player in Chile. There's also Marcelo Rios. Do you have a good relationship with him ?

FG : Good relations. We are not friends because I think that a friend, you don't search him, we make a friend by accident : we find eachother. So, we are not really friends with Marcelo, but we know eachother very well and for a long time. There is not rivalty between us, the Chilean newspapers wrote that. Sometimes, when we are both in Chile, we practrice together, we often eat and talk together, we spend good time.

TM : How is he with you ? Because he's know for his bad temper..

FG : People don't know all the different aspects of his personnality. He sometimes behaves strangely (smile), but when you meet him several times, you realize that he's a normal person. Maybe, it's a way to protect himself from the people he doesn't know.

TM : Marcelo said many good things about your tennis, he said that you were talentuous

FG : Really, he said that ? I didn't know. It moves me because I love watching him play. I remember when I was young and he was in the top 10. When I had the opportunity, I went to see him play, especially in Davis Cup. I love his game and I feel very fortunate to be able to practrice with him because he's a great player

TM : He has been number 1 in the world. And you, what is your goal ?

FG : My dream is to enter in the top 10 and to win a grand slam tournament.

TM : Which one ?

FG : No matter what !! But, Roland-Garros will remain my favourite

The interview is finished. Hope you enjoyed reading it :)

GonzoFan
09-03-2005, 10:15 PM
Thank you so much for the interview :hug:
there are so many funny parts :lol:

GonzoFan
09-07-2005, 09:36 AM
The Goals of Fernando Gonzalez

Horacio De La Peña says "Fernando will still fight to be Top Ten"

Horacio De La Peña doesn't lose faith. After the defeat of Fernando González in the third round of the US Open, the Argentinean still thinks that Fernando can achieve the goal to be between the 10 best ones of the year. "Today in the Race he is 13 and still near the 10 (Mariano Puerta, 38 points difference). So it is still possible ", says "El Pulga" from New York.

His positive projection is based on the form of how the player will face the last part of the season, in which he will play four tournaments after playing Davis Cup against Pakistan, between 23 and 25 of September: Vienna, Basel and the Masters Series of Madrid and Paris-Bercy (all indoor). "Fernando generally arrives bad at these indoors tournaments (in 2004 he lost in the debut of these tournaments), but I believe that this year it will be different. And there we will continue fighting to finish as top ten ", added the coach, who in the practices will continue putting emphasis in improving the service and the return of González.

olimpo
09-07-2005, 10:38 AM
Thanks GonzoFan :)

I♥PsY@Mus!c
09-07-2005, 07:07 PM
Thanks enqvistfan and GonzoFan! http://yelims1.free.fr/Bisous/Bisous13.gif
I don't lose faith too. :) Hope he can do it! http://yelims5.free.fr/Zik/Musique48.gif

FelipeMIA89
09-07-2005, 08:45 PM
VAMOS!!!

enqvistfan
09-08-2005, 06:27 PM
Did you read that article from Las ultimas noticias ?
Apparently, the singer from Mexico, seems to like Fernando a lot :)

La cantante mexicana alentó al Bombardero de La Reina en Nueva York
González ganó con apoyo de la Manterola

Sábado 3 de septiembre de 2005
Leopoldo Iturra

Fernando González tuvo un duro duelo con Tursunov, pero no se desconcentró con el aliento incondicional de la hermosa Patricia.

La primera raqueta nacional venció al ruso Dmitry Tursunov por 6/4, 3/6, 6/4, 6/3. Al final del partido se rió y dijo que "es motivante" tener una fanática como la artista azteca.

Nueva York

Más de un centenar de chilenos se hicieron notar bulliciosamente en la cancha 11 de Flushing Meadows, donde Fernando González y el ruso Dmitry Tursunov disputaban el paso a la tercera ronda. Pero esta vez la atención no sólo la concentraron las camisetas rojas, las de Colo Colo y la U y los "Chi, chi, chi" que tanta gracia le hacen a los estadounidenses. Hubo una espectadora que se robó las miradas de todos los presentes.

La cantante mexicana Patricia Manterola llegó acompañada de una amiga y se mostró entusiasta a la hora de alentar al Bombardero de La Reina. A la misma hora que el número uno del mundo Roger Federer jugaba en el estado Arthur Ashe, un recinto más cómodo y lujoso que sí atrajo a la actriz Nicole Kidman, pero la ex integrante de Garibaldi prefirió la cancha secundaria.

La mexicana puso su deliciosa figura para fotografiarse con todo el mundo en los cambios de lado, especialmente con los hinchas chilenos, aunque no quiso explicar por qué escogió como panorama de un viernes por la noche el partido de segunda ronda del campeón olímpico de dobles.

Mientras la hermosa azteca distraía al público, en la cancha González mantenía la concentración en el tenis y derrotaba a Tursunov por 6/4, 3/6, 6/4, 6/3.

Fue un partido difícil para el chileno, quien recurrió a todo su repertorio de derechos para bombardear a su rival. El primer set fue favorable, pero a partir del segundo González comenzó a abusar de su potencia y sus errores ayudaron a que Tursunov igualara las fuerzas.

Con el empate en sets, Paty Manterola y su amiga abandonaron el court 11. Se perdieron la remontada de González, quien sumó las dos mangas siguientes para quedarse con el duelo y avanzar a la tercera ronda.

Tras el encuentro de dobles de esta tarde en compañía de Nicolás Massú, el Bombardero de La Reina espera en la próxima fase del torneo al argentino David Nalbandian, undécimo favorito, quien derrotó anoche al holandés Peter Wessels por 7/6, 1/6, 6/2, 7/6.

"Me dicen que a Nalbandian también le costó. Se me perdía la pelota a veces. Y es raro porque a mí me gusta jugar de noche. Nalbandian es duro, pero así como vengo jugando creo que puedo ganarle, igual que hace dos semanas en Cincinnati", dijo el chileno.

-Patricia Manterola te estuvo haciendo barra.

-Ja, ja, ja. Sí supe. Es motivante, ja, ja, ja.

enqvistfan
09-08-2005, 06:40 PM
[From las ultimas noticias]

El chileno perdió con David Nalbandian y quedó eliminado del US Open
González apostó a matar, pero murió

Lunes 5 de septiembre de 2005
Leopoldo Iturra

"Me queda el dobles y voy a luchar a muerte", dijo González.

"Nunca pude meter el primer saque", dijo el tenista, que cayó presa de sus errores.

Nueva York

"Despierta, Fernando. ¡Ánimo!". El grito de una mujer parecía una súplica. Fernando González perdía 4/0 el tercer set y con dos mangas en contra. Tal vez era un ruego para evitar un bochornoso 6/0. Pero no fue suficiente.

Al final, el Bombardero cayó por 7/5, 6/3 y 6/0 ante el argentino David Nalbandian y se despidió en la tercera ronda del Abierto de Estados Unidos, un resultado muy peligroso para sus aspiraciones de llegar al Masters de Shanghai.

Pero González comenzó mal, en desventaja de 3/0 en el primer set. El cordobés servía por el set, pero el Bombardero quebró e hizo que el final de la manga fuera dramático. Agregó suspenso, pero le quebraron en el duodécimo juego y ahí se acabó todo.

En las tribunas, comenzaban las guerras de cánticos entre chilenos y argentinos que no duraron mucho, debido a que Nalbandian establecía una clara superioridad.

En el segundo, el chileno quedó en temprana desventaja, remontó un quiebre, pero volvió a entregar el servicio por sus errores. Y en el tercero, sólo entró a terminar con el trámite y daba la impresión de que su única intención era darle un pelotazo al rival.

Una vez más, apostó a matar o morir. Pese a que sacó aplausos con algunos bombazos de su sello, no fue suficiente y al final fueron más los errores (45 no forzados en el partido) contra los aciertos (25 tiros ganadores).

Después de la debacle, González descargó la bronca que tenía contenida en la cancha: "Nunca pude meter mi primer saque y mi juego se basa en tomar ventaja con él para meter el derecho. Nunca lo pude hacer. Todos los sets los comencé con quiebre abajo. David es un tremendo devolvedor y yo un buen sacador. Pero mi servicio no funcionó. Creo que esa es la síntesis del partido", dijo la primera raqueta nacional.

González disputará el dobles esta tarde con Massú contra los gemelos Bryan. "Es lo único que me queda y voy a luchar a muerte. Ojalá que el Nico termine bien contra Guillermo Coria, porque te aseguro que ése va a a ser un partido largo".

La pena fue doble por culpa de la Roja

González no podía creer la goleada de Brasil a Chile.
Fernando González tenía cancha a las 14.30 para iniciar su calentamiento. Pensaba que el partido de Brasil con Chile era a las 16.00, así que apenas regresó al camarín le preguntó al preparador físico Carlos Burgos cómo iba la Roja. "No me creía que a los 30 minutos Chile perdía por 4-0. Pensó que lo estaba agarrando para el leseo", dijo el adiestrador.

El ánimo no era el mejor para seguir escuchando el partido a través de internet, así que el Bombardero continuó con la preparación en la zona de vestuarios y la espera final la hizo en el sector del placer lounge, tirado en un enorme sofá de cuero. Finalmente, mientras acomodaba las cosas en su bolso para ingresar a la cancha, se enteró de que el resultado fue 5-0.

"No se puede creer, es increíble perder así", comentaba el técnico Horacio de la Peña.

Algún tenista argentino intentó echar una talla, pero al ver la cara de los chilenos supuso que no era muy conveniente y optó por un respetuoso silencio.

NicoFan
09-08-2005, 07:01 PM
Did you read that article from Las ultimas noticias ?
Apparently, the singer from Mexico, seems to like Fernando a lot :)

She's a singer but is also on a Mexican soap opera that is on in the US right now.

She's very very very beautiful.

I wouldn't mind if Fernando said 'hola' to her...lol!...he said that he's looking for a girlfriend.... ;)

enqvistfan
09-08-2005, 07:38 PM
I wouldn't mind if Fernando said 'hola' to her...lol!...he said that he's looking for a girlfriend.... ;)

I hope for him he'll find a girlfriend soon !! He deserved to have someone nice, who will like his touching personality most of all & not what he represents.
A nice girlfriend for a very nice guy :)

enqvistfan
09-08-2005, 07:48 PM
Fernando arrived in Santiago :bigclap:

[From las ultimas noticias]

Fernando González: “esperaba algo mejor"
Jueves 8 de septiembre de 2005

Santiago.- El tenista chileno Fernando González retornó hoy a Santiago, luego de su eliminación del US Open de manos del argentino, David Nalbandian, y señaló que se sentía “jugando bien, pero de todas maneras esperaba algo mejor".

"Me sentía jugando bien, pero de todas maneras esperaba algo mejor. Igual llegar a tercera vuelta es un buen resultado", comenzó diciendo el deportista luego de llegar al Aeropuerto Internacional Arturo Merino Benitez.

"Jugué contra alguien que jugó bien y que es alguien a quien me cuesta enfrentar. El tuvo un gran día y yo no saque bien. Devuelve bien y tiene un gran revés", continuó.

Respecto del “salto” que le falta para ingresar a los diez primeros jugadores de mundo, González dijo sentirse tranquilo porque “con dos partidos más que hubiera ganado se hubiera dado. Si le hubiera ganado a Federer, en Wimbledon, o Nalbandan estaría dentro de los diez".

El santiaguino tendrá unos días de descanso para luego retomar las prácticas de cara al duelo por Copa Davis ante Pakistán. Después, volverá al circuito en los torneos de Viena, Basilea y los Masters Series de Madrid y Paris-Bercy.

"Siempre he llegado a los torneos de fin de año sin bencina, por eso ahora es importante tener un descanso físico y mental. Ahora me siento bien, pese a que cincinnati tuve problemas en la rodilla, pero me siento mejor que otros años", sostuvo el “Bombardero de La Reina".

En cuanto al objetivo de terminar el año dentro de los diez primeros del mundo, González afirmó que confía en lograrlo en esta última parte de la temporada, al mismo tiempo que considera complicado clasificar al Masters de Shanghai.

“Mi intención sigue siendo ser 'top ten' y creo que todavía puedo lograrlo. Haciendo bueno uno de los Masters Series que quedan me alcanza. Lo mismo en el Marstes, pero aí está más difícil. Igual seguiré luchando por entrar", dijo.

enqvistfan
09-08-2005, 08:22 PM
Article from Canal 13 (but it's the same things)

:: El Bombardero aún cree en los top ten

Bastante cansado por su exigente temporada llegó este jueves 8 al país, Fernando González, tras su regular paso por el US Open. El Bombardero se sumará en los próximos días al trabajo del equipo de Copa Davis que jugará ante Pakistán y reiteró su intención de ser top ten de aquí a fin de año.

Tras avanzar hasta la tercera ronda del Abierto de Estados Unidos, el Bombardero de La Reina llegó a Santiago para ya comenzar a pensar en lo que será el próximo desafío de Copa Davis ante Pakistán por el repechaje al Grupo Mundial a jugarse el fin de semana del 23, 24 y 25 de septiembre.

En la conferencia de prensa que ofreció, la raqueta número uno de Chile dio un pequeño balance de su regular paso por el US Open. "Me sentía jugando bien, pero de todas maneras esperaba algo mejor. Igual llegar a tercera vuelta es un buen resultado", afirmó.

Sin embargo, González mantiene intacta su esperanza de alcanzar los top ten en lo que resta de la temporada, que según su planificación consta de sólo cuatro torneos (Viena, Madrid, Basilea y París) lo que resulta complicado, ya que debiera tener una actuación descollante en ellos como para lograr su propósito.

"Mi intención sigue siendo ser top ten y creo que todavía puedo lograrlo. Haciendo bueno uno de los Masters Series que quedan me alcanza. Lo mismo en el Masters de Shanghai, pero ahí está más difícil. Igual seguiré luchando por entrar", reveló.

Asimismo, Mano de Piedra explicó que jugará sólo en cuatro campeonatos más, ya que "siempre he llegado a los torneos de fin de año sin bencina, por eso ahora es importante tener un descanso físico y mental. Ahora me siento bien, pese a que Cincinnati tuve problemas en la rodilla, pero me siento mejor que otros años".

Además, González se refirió al tema de que Chiledeportes no ha cancelado aún los premios por las medallas olímpicas obtenidas en agosto de 2004 en los Juegos de Atenas. "Hay que preguntarle a la gente encargada o sea yo fui a hacer mi trabajo que es jugar y eso es lo mío. Si hay gente encargada que tiene que hacer sus cosas y no lo ha hecho hay que preguntarles a ellos", recalcó.

Por último, el de La Reina concluyó dando todo su apoyo a Nicolás Massú en su controversia con Guillermo Coria afirmando que "no me sorprende lo que pasó con Coria. El es un jugador muy difícil dentro de la cancha".

Como dijimos el deportista descansará hasta el próximo lunes 12 cuando comience ya los primeros trabajos de Copa Davis.

enqvistfan
09-08-2005, 08:36 PM
And another one, from radio cooperativa, but regarding the prize money for the medals in Athens, apparently.

González tampoco recibió el premio por ser medallista en Atenas

Respaldando el reclamo de Nicolás Massú, el jugador de La Reina señaló que aún no recibe el dinero que le corresponde por ganar dos preseas, pero advirtió: "Yo juego tenis, me da lo mismo".

El miércoles Nicolás Massú contó con molestia que aún no recibe el premio establecido por Chiledeportes que le corresponde tras ganar dos medallas de oro en Atenas 2004. Sorprendió a todos y este jueves Fernando González respaldó las palabras del viñamarino, aunque advirtió que le interesa poco.

Al ser consultado si recibió el estímulo, González fue tajante: "No... nada. Yo juego tenis, me da lo mismo".

Siguió un silencio incómodo y se le consultó si han reclamado ante el organismo gubernamental. "Eso se lo tienen que preguntar a la gente encargada. Yo hice mi trabajo que fue jugar tenis para ganar las medallas", respondió.

En Chiledeportes la respuesta fue que la culpa es de la Federación Chilena de Tenis al no tener sus cuentas al día y esos dineros fueron retenidos en una medida cautelar, pero que los premios están listos para ser pagados.

Giorgio Raineri, gerente de la Federación de Tenis, rechazó esta versión en diálogo con Al Aire Libre en Cooperativa: "Puede ser que hayamos tenido rendiciones pendientes, pero no creo que ese fuera un modo para retener los premios por las medallas. Hoy estamos con las rendiciones al día y todas sus platas recibidas conforme".

"Esto hace un año atrás (la obtención de las medallas) y la Federación ha trabajado normalmente con los fondos de Chiledeportes", agregó.

Los dineros adeudados son 30 millones de pesos para Nicolás Massú por sus dos medallas de oro y 16 millones para Fernando González por su bronce en singles y la dorada en dobles. (Cooperativa.cl)

GonzoFan
09-27-2005, 09:34 AM
From www.latercera.cl

Fernando González celebrated during the night in the "discoteca" Kamikaze the permanence of Chile in the World Group

http://www.latercera.cl/showjpg/0,,1_161994732_195,00.jpg

---------------------------------------------

Teddy Bear had some fun last night :banana: :yeah: :rocker: :drink:

the pic is too small ... :sad: but I think that Feña is the man with the white cap ... :scratch:
and it seems like he is dancing with someone .... :fiery: (OMG! He was cheating on me :sobbing: Unfaithful Teddy Bear :eek: :lol: )

but I'm not sure if he is the person in the pic ... :unsure:

I♥PsY@Mus!c
09-27-2005, 06:11 PM
Thanks for all articles. :kiss:
I guess the man wearing a white cap is Feña?! :scratch: He cheats on me too, :(;) but I have lots of boyfriends too :crazy: and now I'm married to my husband Ivan. :smooch:

GonzoFan
09-27-2005, 07:26 PM
yep, he is the man with the white cap ...

RogiFan88
09-27-2005, 09:53 PM
She's a singer but is also on a Mexican soap opera that is on in the US right now.

She's very very very beautiful.

So this Paty Mancerola -- what is the name of the soap? We get telenovelas on our TLN [telelatino] station here.

You mean our Teddy Bear won't be a single bear for much longer?? :angel:

Fergie
09-28-2005, 02:16 AM
I guess the man wearing a white cap is Feña?! :scratch: He cheats on me too, :(;) but I have lots of boyfriends too :crazy: and now I'm married to my husband Ivan. :smooch:
You are dating with all the nice guys :sad:

Seems like Feña had a nice night! :devil:

I♥PsY@Mus!c
09-28-2005, 06:57 PM
You are dating with all the nice guys :sad:

Seems like Feña had a nice night! :devil:
You can date as well. :p Come on fight with me for all bfs! :crazy:
Yeah,very nice! :(:aplot:

Fergie
09-29-2005, 01:33 AM
You can date as well. :p Come on fight with me for all bfs! :crazy:
I will do, except with your husband! ;)

GonzoFan
11-02-2005, 05:20 PM
Auckland tournament confirms Gonzalez's presence for 2006

Defending champion Fernando Gonzalez of Chile has said "I'll be back"
after literally powering his way to the 2005 title at the Heineken Open and is currently ranked at a career high No13 in the world.

He will have a chance to become the first person to win the Heineken Open in consecutive years since Kiwi Onny Parun 1975-76.

Last January all of his opponents in Auckland were on the back foot as he reeled off winners from all parts of the court eventually beating Belgium's Oliver Rochus in the final.

Facing a difficult draw Gonzalez didn't have easy matches on paper, although he almost made it look easy beating James Blake, Mariano Zabaleta, Robby Ginepri and Juan Ignacio Chela before defeating Rochus
6-4 6-2 in the final.

In 2005 Gonzalez also won three titles including, Basel on the weekend over Marcos Baghdatis in the final to take his career tally to seven. He also won at Amersfoot in the Netherlands beating Agustin Calleri in the final.

His record in Grand Slams this year is very consistent with a third round appearance at the Australian Open, third round at Roland Garros before losing to Roger Federer, quarter-finals at Wimbledon, again losing to Federer and then a third round finish at the US Open.

"It is a great start to our player announcement for this summers Heineken Open to have such an exciting champion coming back to defend the Sovereign singles title," says Heineken Open tournament director, Graham Pearce.

I♥PsY@Mus!c
11-02-2005, 05:54 PM
I will do, except with your husband! ;)
Ivan?! :lol:

Thanks GonzoFan. :D Now I think it's time to request more than before, :crazy: Feña you better defend Auckland and all titles and gain the new ones! :aplot::rolls::bigclap:

french-guru
11-02-2005, 11:41 PM
you girls are so crazy :rolleyes:

( I have my own men) ;)

Fergie
11-02-2005, 11:56 PM
Feña loves play in Auckland :D

DhammaTiger
11-03-2005, 12:02 AM
I am so happy tha Fernando had a marvelous year, but sad and depressed that he lost today. Having played such an awesome season, especially last two weeks, I have to look at the positive side. He has proven that he is the most exciting and exhilirating playe and a fantastic profesional, and a great human being ( his off court and on court demeanour). So Vamos Fena in 2006. I hope you will successfully defend all your titles, and win more, improving on 2005; and be safely established in the top ten and stay there forever (i.e. until you quit tennis). Also I wish you will remain safe and injury free for the rest of your career. I also wish you the rest of 2005 will be good for you and your loved ones. Viva Chile.

DhammaTiger
11-03-2005, 12:06 AM
So Sorry I pasted my previous post in the wrong thread. Please forgive me for the error. I am basically very sleepy, it's past 3am here. Thanks for understanding.

GonzoFan
11-04-2005, 06:36 AM
Gonzo will arrive today in the morning to Chile ! :woohoo:
I'll be watching the news cause they have always show on tv when Gonzo arrives at the airport and also the press conference :D

french-guru
11-05-2005, 12:46 AM
Of course, I am pretty sure Fernando is an important sportsman in Chile!

GonzoFan
11-05-2005, 08:59 AM
Guillermo Vilas will have González as special guest

http://www.latercera.cl/showjpg/0,,1_169407001_246,00.jpg

Ex- number two of the world will organize a tournament where the Chilean will be one of the main attractions
The ex- tennis player contacted himself with the first national racket to have him in the Cup that will have his name and that will take place between 4 and 6 of December in the Luna Park of Buenos Aires.

Guillermo Vilas did not think it twice. He always wanted to have Fernando González like one of the main attractions of the Cup that will have his name and that will have its first edition between 4 and 6 of December of this year. "he called me, Guillermo, directly, to have Fernando in the exhibition. And we accorded an agreement, reason why already his presence in the championship is confirmed ", comments Fernando González father, representative of the tennis player. An honor for the santiaguino.

The participation of the first national racket in this tournament is confirm and will take place in the legendary Luna Park of Buenos Aires, that has a capacity for seven thousand spectators and that has been scenary of fights by the world-wide title of boxing. A court "of wood" will be made to play the event in Argentina., as Christian Fernandez explains, one of the ones in charge.

Other guests

The number one of Chile will put a parenthesis in the pre-season that will be doing for those days to play this championship. Also are confirmed the Argentine Gastón Gaudio (number 11 of the world and champion of Roland Garros 2004) and the American James Blake (24º ATP and Quaterfinalist of the US Open 2005). They don't know who will be the fourth player. It can be a player from Argentina or another international star.

The agenda of the tournament is already established. During the first day, the great attraction will be to see the own Vilas play an exhibition match. The other two days the matches between the guests will be played. They will dispute encounters on december 5 and in the following day the two winners will face each other to see who is the champion of the first edition of this cup that intends to be become a tradition. "For Vilas it is very important to include a figure like Fernando, because he thinks that his game is very attractive, besides he is one of the best tennis players of South America", adds Fernandez.

Fergie
11-05-2005, 03:25 PM
I want to see Feña vs James ... Now I need my holydays for that days :rolleyes:

enqvistfan
11-13-2005, 12:56 PM
Article published in La Tercera. It's the year 2005, by Fernando himself :). Very interesting article :yeah:

http://www.latercera.cl/medio/articulo/0,0,3308_5832_170845475,00.html

I translated the article for the ones who don't understand spanish

http://www.fernando-gonzalez.net/bestyearbomber.htm

DhammaTiger
11-13-2005, 01:41 PM
enqvistfan thank you very much for posting Fena's article. It's always enlightening to read what the player himself feels, and Fena is extremely candid abut his season. Vamos Fena 2006

enqvistfan
11-13-2005, 04:53 PM
From ATP Tennis weekly (Basel)

Fergie
11-13-2005, 06:20 PM
That article is great ... And thanks for the scans too :)

olimpo
11-20-2005, 01:45 PM
Our Fernando is safe back home in Chile :)

Wish I was in Chile and could watch it in the news.....

González arrived at Santiago with the mind put in returning to the Masters

Number one of Chile returned east Sunday to the country with an absolutely positive evaluation of its passage by Shanghai, after playing great level "in the best match in than I have been".

Still bitter by the defeat before the Argentinean Gastón Gaudio (9º of the ATP), but conscious that its participation in Shanghai will allow him to grow much more like tennis player, Fernando González (13º) returned east Sunday to Santiago with the mind put in returning to dispute the Masters Glass in 2006.

After its arrival to the Airport the International of Santiago, pupilo of Horacio of the Rock talked with Outdoors in Cooperative, and it was trusted that season 2006 will allow him to return to shine to be again in the Masters.

"It is the best match in than I have been. People take care of to you very well, are few players and are the best ones, so it is a very great motivation to go there, and hopefully that can return the next year ", showed González, that she wants to arrive between eight from the best one yields, and not as substitute as this time happened.

The number one national reiterated that the defeat by 6-1, 5-7 and 5-7 before Gastón Gaudio when had everything to advance to the semifinals cannot opacar a yield that were worth to him to fulfill the best season of their race, and indicated that the objective is to improve facing the year that comes.

"There is a little bitterness by how it was the last party, but that cannot opacar the year that I had. In addition which the match for me was a prize since he was everything free, and equal I am contented to return here to rest and to load the batteries for the next year ", it indicated.

Fernando González still gives return him to the three balls of party that he had before Gaudio, although misestimated that he has put himself more nervous of the common thing in the moment in that served by the passage the semifinals as the Chinese match.

"Before the party he was super nervous, during not as much, and when I closed was nervous, but it is normal because whenever one is going to close a tight party is put thus. But perhaps by my way to play it is possible to be noticed more of the way than failure, and that would be everything ", maintained the tennis player, who this Monday will appear in number 11 of the System of Entrance.

The number one national said not to occur by found out the designation of the Medialuna de Rancagua like scene for the shock by the World-wide Group of Glass Davis before Slovakia in next February, and emphasized that "he is something who we must talk". (Cooperativa.cl)

enqvistfan
11-23-2005, 07:26 PM
Finally, Nalbandian will be the 4th player to play the exhibition in ARgentina.
So, the 4 players are :

Fernando Gonzalez :bounce:
Gaston Gaudio
James Blake
David Nalbandian

GonzoFan
11-24-2005, 07:36 AM
Gonzo will go to Rancagua today with Nico Massu and Hans G.
It's to see the conditions of Rancagua and it seems that they will go a to a club near to the "Medialuna" and they will see what type of balls they'll use and all that kind of things ...

GonzoFan
11-25-2005, 12:19 AM
On december 2 will be released the book "Chilenos de Oro" written by Esteban Abarzúa, a sport journalist, who in 12 chapters and 230 pages relates the lifes of Fernando Gonzalez and Nicolas Massú from the beginning of their careers until they won the gold medals in Athens

http://www.cooperativa.cl/p4_noticias/site/artic/20051124/imag/FOTO60020051124190513.jpg

This is sooooooo great!!!!! :woohoo:

+alonso
11-25-2005, 12:24 AM
I'm definately going to get it

RogiFan88
11-25-2005, 01:11 AM
Hey, that looks like a great book! ;)

GonzoFan
11-25-2005, 06:54 AM
I'm definately going to get it

the book is already on sale :eek:
I didn't know that ... I'll try to buy it tomorrow ... well, actually see how much does it cost first and then see if I can buy it :lol:

enqvistfan
11-25-2005, 08:43 AM
Do you know if we can buy it through the internet ?
Maybe Amazon ??
It will be an interesting book and this book will make me speak Spanish fluently :lol: :lol:

Thank you :)

competitiva5
11-25-2005, 12:12 PM
Some news about Fernando and Nico's visit to Rancagua (with audio).
http://www.Cooperativa.cl/

Deportes

Conita
11-25-2005, 05:26 PM
On december 2 will be released the book "Chilenos de Oro" written by Esteban Abarzúa, a sport journalist, who in 12 chapters and 230 pages relates the lifes of Fernando Gonzalez and Nicolas Massú from the beginning of their careers until they won the gold medals in Athens

http://www.cooperativa.cl/p4_noticias/site/artic/20051124/imag/FOTO60020051124190513.jpg

This is sooooooo great!!!!! :woohoo:

hey!
do u know where can i get the book online ??

:D

GonzoFan
11-27-2005, 01:20 AM
I read the book ... I have an opinion about it but I will not post it here because I think is better if you read the book first ... but if someone wants to know what I think about it just send me a private message

Conita - I don't really know where you get the book online but If I know something I'll tell you ;)

+alonso
11-27-2005, 02:50 AM
Whoa! :lol: I'll try to find it ASAP :p
Next time i go downtown i'll seek

Fergie
11-27-2005, 10:43 PM
I just bought the book, time to read it now! :lol:

Conita
11-28-2005, 04:34 PM
i want the book 2!!

/me ansious for the book :)

competitiva5
11-28-2005, 04:36 PM
Extraño la pelotita de tenis! Cero tenis! Que aburrido!!! Vacaciones ! :sad

Mejor a la playa! Beach tenis!

AAhhh!!! WOW Who is he?

(made in a good blog)

GonzoFan
11-30-2005, 07:23 AM
Gonzo confirmed yesterday that on Monday he will start working for next season

poor teddy bear! only 5 more days free and then start working again ... I hope he can rest well and have fun these last days of vacations ... well ... we already know that it seems he has been having a lot of fun these days ... ! ;)

Eléa
11-30-2005, 11:37 AM
already? :eek:
He's very motivated ;)

Fergie
11-30-2005, 11:53 AM
Here or in Argentina? :confused:

enqvistfan
11-30-2005, 01:12 PM
YEs, it's short 5 days of holidays. Maybe, in Dec. he'll take some days off !!

GonzoFan
11-30-2005, 02:35 PM
Here or in Argentina? :confused:

Don't know ... :shrug: but it seems that it will be here in Chile ...

GonzoFan
11-30-2005, 02:36 PM
YEs, it's short 5 days of holidays. Maybe, in Dec. he'll take some days off !!

yes, maybe for christmas and new year :D I hope he does ... I don't think he had enough vacations ... :sad:

RogiFan88
11-30-2005, 07:35 PM
I'll say too short a break for our Osito. This is crazy! Do the ATP want all the best players to be out w injury and illness again in 2006??

Pobrecito Osito... at least the weather is nice and warm in S America, not like where I am...

GonzoFan
12-01-2005, 07:05 AM
I'll say too short a break for our Osito. This is crazy! Do the ATP want all the best players to be out w injury and illness again in 2006??

Pobrecito Osito... at least the weather is nice and warm in S America, not like where I am...

I know ... these were the shortest vacations ever! :eek: poor osito! :sad:
but we also must think that Feña and Horacio know what they are doing so I think that Gonzo will be fine ... let's hope so!

GonzoFan
12-03-2005, 08:01 AM
The Circle of Sport Journalists of Chile designated the Best Sportsmen of 2005, after knowing the voting of its affiliates and the antecedents of all the nominees, given by their respective Federations.

Fernando Gonzalez will receive the award of best tennis player 2005

Next tuesday, december 6 in a ceremony at the Mall Sport (starting at 11:00) will be chosen the Best of the Best -award given to the best sportmen of the year among all the categories :) -

Let's hope that the sport journalist will give the award "Best of the Best" to Gonzo! :D that would be so great! he deserves it! :D fingers crossed!

Oh, and Remember that last year he and Nico Massu won this award ;)

Fergie
12-03-2005, 11:54 AM
Truly deserved ... Congrats Feña :hug:

Sparko1030
12-03-2005, 05:19 PM
Yes, well deserved! Fernando earned it-he had a great year. :hatoff:

Conita
12-03-2005, 08:13 PM
that's great news
well done feña!!

VAMOS Q SE PUEDE!!!

+alonso
12-04-2005, 10:31 PM
Fernando Got the "Rock&Pop FM" best sport man of the year Award

:lol:

Fergie
12-04-2005, 11:19 PM

At least one deserved winner :lol:

RogiFan88
12-05-2005, 12:54 AM

Now that's an interesting award -- Rock & Pop FM?? ;)

GonzoFan
12-05-2005, 02:54 AM

I didn't know that ...

CONGRATS GONZO!!!! :D

GonzoFan
12-08-2005, 04:00 AM
Here are some parts of the press conference of Gonzo after his match with Nalby

About the ATP of Buenos Aires: "I am not going to be present in the ATP of Buenos Aires. I am going to begin the year in Auckland, Australia, Viña del Mar, Davis Cup and the week of the tournament in Buenos Aires I'm going to rest, because I will play many tournaments in a row and then I'm going to the United States to play in hardcourts, Memphis, Las Vegas and the Masters Series (Indian Wells and Miami)"

About 2006: "The year is long, it is not necessary to fall in desperation when good moments do not come and the important thing also is to dose the calendar well to stay healthy and to be able to play much more time"
He also said that his goal is to reach the top ten and go to the Masters but not as an alternate "I know it's hard but I'm working a lot to achieve my goals"

NicoFan
12-14-2005, 01:06 PM
While this isn't about Fernando, I think it really affects him. Horacio already coaches enough players. Don't mean to criticize Horacio because I really like him, but really enough. Plus he has his school. I really want Fernando to get most of his attention.

Does anyone know if he still has that Argentine doubles team (Etlis-Rodriguez)?

From latercera.cl:

All finalized in good terms. And Leonardo Zuleta found that was the best for its now former one pupilo. "What happens is that Adrián is a business that was handled between ranks of ranking of the 500 and the 100. To be able to travel and to settle his career in that status, he needed to work in team. And as Hermes Gamonal no longer will travel more and Phillip Harboe recently he is returning, he was not profitable to continue with our project", he explains the own one "Nano" about the removal of Adrián Garcia of his "corral". And what did the of Concepción? He opted for calling to Horacio de la Pena and to be join with his working party, of such form of seeking another alternative that permit him reposicionarse in the Tour.

Garcia united from Monday al team that compose Fernando González and Paul Capdeville, with whom was this year fighting for being the third national racquet. The second only surpasses it today by a place in the classification (148º against 149º), for which both can travel next to the same tournaments. The idea is that in the measure that play not the same championships of Gonzalez, they are accompanied for another person that assess them.

Nevertheless, de la Pena expects that soon all they can travel together. "What is important will be to obtain that as much Adrián and Paul plunge points so that rise in the ranking and we can go to the same tournaments. That it is the goal that we have proposed us, because the two already have been very near becoming among the 100 better", explains the coach Argentine.

Three of four

By these days all the group carries out the pre-season in Santiago. Garcia, who did not have a good one 2005, at the age of 27 new search air that permit him to go in search again of the group of the 100 better than the world. And de la Pena thinks that still is to time, although improving some things. "Always I have said that Adrián is a player very talentoso, but that physically he lacks him a lot. We will work that aspect and also another to try to comply the goals that we have proposed ourselves", he explains the Argentine coach.

From this week, de la Pena he will collaborate with three of the four better racquets of the country, a honor for the "Pulga". "He is very important for me. He is something that prides me a lot and that I take it as a great challenge", comments the Argentine.

enqvistfan
12-14-2005, 01:54 PM
Yes, I read that yesterday. I wonder if he'll have enough time to work with Fernando. Most of the players who are in the top 15, have their own coach. We'll see...

GonzoFan
12-14-2005, 06:44 PM
I don't think it's nothing to worry about ... Horacio always says that his priority is Fernando and he only will coach Paul and Adrian when they'll have the chance to play at a same tournament as Gonzo and when they are in Chile and the other time of the year I think Horacio will help the other two players by emails or phone just like he did it this year with Paul

I think this is great! Horacio is a great coach and I'm sure he'll do a great job with Adrian and most of all with Paul :D

Fergie
12-14-2005, 11:53 PM
I think this is great! Horacio is a great coach and I'm sure he'll do a great job with Adrian and most of all with Paul :D
I agree ... Is good for the boys and Horacio only coach them when has time :)

GonzoFan
12-18-2005, 05:45 AM
Yesterday Gonzo went to "Fundación Las Rosas" -a place where the old men and old women homeless and there's people that take care of them- and he took breakfast with them and was with them all the morning :worship: :hug: :worship: :hug: :worship:
Everyday Gonzo shows us the GREAT person he is! :worship: :worship:

here are some caps I took with my camera from the tv :D (sorry for the poor quality :sad: )

GonzoFan
12-18-2005, 05:50 AM
He also talked about his pre-season and said that he was so tired but very motivated for next year :D
And it seems that he'll be in Viña for the next days

more caps ...

enqvistfan
12-18-2005, 10:04 AM
Thanks a lot GonzoFan :bigclap: I should try to take pics with my camera on tv !!
Fernando shows that he's a man with a great heart :hearts: :hug:

Off topic : yesterday evening, we got on a popular tv show, LLodra and Santoro. Noah was two weeks ago, the godfather of the French Telethon, another man with a great heart.

olimpo
12-18-2005, 10:09 AM
¡Gracias! :hug:

I've heard that Fernando was going to have breakfast at the "Fundacion Las Rosas" yesterday and hoping to find something in the newspapers about it today, but so far there seems to be nothing online :(

So thank you so much GonzoFan for letting us know what he said and for taking the screen captures for us poor Feñaticos living outside of Chile - much appreciated :)

olimpo
12-18-2005, 11:00 AM
Here's an article with picture from LUN:

Fergie
12-18-2005, 11:41 AM
Thanks for the pics and article ... Feña is such a great person :hearts:

enqvistfan
12-18-2005, 12:21 PM
thanks for posting the article Olimpo :)

RogiFan88
12-18-2005, 02:25 PM
Gracias a GonzoFan y a Olimpo para los articulos y las bellas fotos de nuestro Osito!

Poor Fena, he's tired and hasn't had time to rest up before preparing for Auckland. Take care of yourself, Fena!! ;)

RogiFan88
12-18-2005, 02:29 PM
Yesterday Gonzo went to "Fundación Las Rosas" -a place where the old men and old women without home live and there's people that take care of them- and he took breakfast with them and was with them all the morning :worship: :hug: :worship: :hug: :worship:

here are some caps I took with my camera from the tv :D (sorry for the poor quality :sad: )

Fena is such a sweetie -- you can see he really cares about these people. :angel:

NicoFan
12-18-2005, 04:31 PM
Yesterday Gonzo went to "Fundación Las Rosas" -a place where the old men and old women without home live and there's people that take care of them- and he took breakfast with them and was with them all the morning :worship: :hug: :worship: :hug: :worship:

Oh how sweet! He's such a good boy! :hug:

And he looks so adorable in those pictures! :)

Conita
12-18-2005, 04:51 PM
he is soo adorable!!!
thanx 4 the note, makes me happy ^^

AGUANTE GONZALEZ!!!

GonzoFan
12-18-2005, 05:29 PM
more pics :D
are very small but I think it's better than nothing :D
these are from La Cuarta

http://www.lacuarta.cl/diario/2005/12/18/IMG/20.gonzalez1.jpg
http://www.lacuarta.cl/diario/2005/12/18/IMG/20.gonzalez2.jpg
http://www.lacuarta.cl/diario/2005/12/18/IMG/20.gonzalez3.jpg

Sparko1030
12-18-2005, 06:59 PM
Thanks for the great pictures and article Gonzofan and Olimpo! Fernando is such a good guy-he really seems to care about people.

Like Rogifan I am a little concerned about his comment about being tired so I hope he takes care of himself and gets plenty of rest before the 2006 season starts.

NicoFan
12-18-2005, 11:40 PM
Thanks for the great pictures and article Gonzofan and Olimpo! Fernando is such a good guy-he really seems to care about people.

Like Rogifan I am a little concerned about his comment about being tired so I hope he takes care of himself and gets plenty of rest before the 2006 season starts.

I'm concerned about that too. :sad: I hope our teddy bear is okay.

Fergie
12-18-2005, 11:43 PM
I guess that Feña is working hard in his physical condition ... He will be ok :)

GonzoFan
12-19-2005, 01:06 AM
I guess that Feña is working hard in his physical condition ... He will be ok :)

I think the same way ... I mean, it's obvious that he is tired but I think that he and his stuff know what they are doing so teddy bear should be ok ;) (Hope so! :scared: )

------------------------------

On tv in Mega they repeated the interview with Gonzo in "Fundación Las Rosas" so I took some more caps ...

NicoFan
12-19-2005, 01:19 AM

I always worry about my boys...even when there really isn't anything to worry about. :p

And you're right - Fernando has a great team behind him. I'm so impressed with how Carlos got Fernando into such good shape this year. And of course Horacio is one of the best coaches in tennis.

NicoFan
12-19-2005, 01:21 AM
Gracias again GonzoFan - really appreciate you putting up all the pictures!!!! They're great!

GonzoFan
12-19-2005, 01:24 AM
Gracias again GonzoFan - really appreciate you putting up all the pictures!!!! They're great!

Oh NicoFan today they said in Mega that next Sunday Nico will be talking there with Marcelo Rios so I'll take some caps ;)

NicoFan
12-19-2005, 01:28 AM
Oh NicoFan today they said in Mega that next Sunday Nico will be talking there with Marcelo Rios so I'll take some caps ;)

Gracias!!! You're the best GonzoFan!!! :bounce:

You know how I adore my Nico. :hug:

GonzoFan
12-19-2005, 01:34 AM
Gracias!!! You're the best GonzoFan!!! :bounce:

You know how I adore my Nico. :hug:

I know how much you adore that boy :hug:

RogiFan88
12-19-2005, 01:37 AM
Cool, Nico and Marcelo? You know, I have to be thankful I had the chance to see Marcelo play in Toronto02 -- he beat Moya in R1 I believe and it was a great match! That was the first time I ever experienced the "CHI CHI CHI LE LE LE VIVA CHILE" fans! I loved it!! Too bad Marcelo never won a slam -- he's such a talented guy!

NicoFan
12-19-2005, 01:46 AM
Cool, Nico and Marcelo? You know, I have to be thankful I had the chance to see Marcelo play in Toronto02 -- he beat Moya in R1 I believe and it was a great match! That was the first time I ever experienced the "CHI CHI CHI LE LE LE VIVA CHILE" fans! I loved it!! Too bad Marcelo never won a slam -- he's such a talented guy!

I love the CHI CHI CHI LE LE LE chant. That and "vamos, vamos chilenos, esta tarde (noche), tenemos que ganar" song (I think that's right...lol!!!!).

Marcelo was extraordinarily talented - it's a shame that he never won a slam. I've heard many reasons for it - lack of work ethic, etc. But who knows...its difficult to win a slam even if a player is one of the best. I never know exactly what to make of him - personality or game. :shrug:

RogiFan88
12-19-2005, 02:29 AM
I love the CHI CHI CHI LE LE LE chant. That and "vamos, vamos chilenos, esta tarde (noche), tenemos que ganar" song (I think that's right...lol!!!!).

Marcelo was extraordinarily talented - it's a shame that he never won a slam. I've heard many reasons for it - lack of work ethic, etc. But who knows...its difficult to win a slam even if a player is one of the best. I never know exactly what to make of him - personality or game. :shrug:

What is that song? I've never heard it -- is there any way I can hear it somewhere?? I'm very curious!! :D

enqvistfan
12-19-2005, 10:00 AM
What is that song? I've never heard it -- is there any way I can hear it somewhere?? I'm very curious!! :D

I posted a video to listen to it this year during RG. I think you can find it in the Roland-Garros thread.

NicoFan
12-19-2005, 02:37 PM
Interview with Horacio in latercera. Sorry - some of the places the translation came out really weird.

Kind of sad - I don't want Horacio to stop coaching until Fernando stops playing.

From latercera.cl:

Time and again Horacio de la Pena insists to Adrián Garcia how to hit him to the ball of adequate form. He repeats to him time and again that "wrap the ball", that descend not the intensity. And Garcia pays attention, without importing the exhaustion by the hour and a half that carries in court. He is the style that, according to the "Pulga", he has carried to be successful with its pupilos and to coach today to three of the four better tennis players than has Chile.

Why the top-level Chilean tennis players choose Argentines to work?

I do not have idea. I can speak you by what do I generate that good relation with my pupilos. They say that I speak them in a way that are convinced of what I tell them. The form in which I am repeated them thousand times al day, causes improves them.

What do I bother him of the Chilean middle?

It gets mad me a lot when the people thinks on things that does not know. Gets mad myself when I return to Chile and I listen: "Nooo, Fernando shit again". The people understands that four years ago they did not have anything! They had to Marcelo Rios being withdrawn and a future one tenístico frightening. And suddenly they were found with a player as the Fernando, that is charismatic, good type and that breaks working. And that is 11 of the world, 11!

But you have also recognized that Fernando has been frightened in certain moments..

But if he is real that is frightened and he has to learn to improve it. And I have to continue working in giving him more you arm so that, when he be frightened, equal he wins the matches.

You talks with him on this behavior?

Yes. But sadly when we speak is it shit, hot, sad, and to everything that I tell tells him me that yes.

I am not bothered because you says it publically?

Yes and the large men are the ones that assume the problems. The had these problems to become inside the 200 and did well. Later to become inside the 100, later between the 50 and thus. But what luck that are having problems, because only there is 10 types everywhere that are better than Fernando! Dejémonos to screw. Get the Chilean sport and they see how many sportsmen they are there, how many..

Time ago that itself does not listen him put in polemics, ¿there is some change of style?

Always I say that who does not learn of its errors and does not try to improve remains stagnant. And one it has to go learning of the things that pass him. My idea in this work is to leave a bequest, an idea, a form to work, an intensity of work that hope remain and recall itself me as someone that has done the different things. What yes I do not want is that recall itself me as someone confrontacional or a "rompebolas".

You carry 22 years as the coach, ¿how evaluates its career?

I have had a lot of luck. I have earned no Grand Slam neither no Super one Nine, but I have obtained many things.

And so much time travelling tires you?

Yes, but I cannot be unjust, because gives me so many happinesses, me full of the adrenaline that strange al not to play. It will be difficult to leave it.

But it is something that is evaluating for a nearby future?

I believe that I continue two years more in this.

That is to say, ¿Fernando already would have that to be projected with another person, with another coach?

I do not know, he is that it is something very difficult. In cold, that is my opinion, to cause will be very hard. What I have clear is that I am arming my life in Chile, where i would like to do a program of large sports. And therefore the unique thing that want is that a President leave (of the Republic) with "balls" and that al sport dedicate him time and silver to do of this a world top-level discipline. Cannot be that we be among the 10 better in many aspects and in sports we be among the last. Does not have logic. The Chileans do not be born paralytics, neither stupid. Is not a deformed race. Being stopped screwing. There is not results because themselves they are not worrying, nothing more.

RogiFan88
12-19-2005, 04:30 PM
I posted a video to listen to it this year during RG. I think you can find it in the Roland-Garros thread.

Which RG thread? Here in Fena's forum?

NicoFan, can you pls post a link to Horacio's original interview? Gracias!! :angel:

NicoFan
12-19-2005, 04:43 PM
Here it is - and there's pictures too.

http://www.latercera.cl/medio/articulo/0,0,3308_5832_177730331,00.html

enqvistfan
12-19-2005, 07:07 PM
Which RG thread? Here in Fena's forum?

No, in Feña's forum, in the RG part. I found the link I gave :

http://www.thomasenqvist.com/gonzo.htm

The second video is the song. And, you may hear some French voices (in the last video), it's us :lol:

Fergie
12-19-2005, 10:24 PM
It's right ... It's our football song :lol:

NicoFan
12-19-2005, 10:29 PM
It's right ... It's our football song :lol:

I love it! :)

And I love sitting with the Chilean fans, and waving the flag - though Nico signed my flag in 2004 so this past summer, I didn't have a flag to wave. :sad: I have to get another one.

I also would like one of the CHILE futbol shirts. There was a Chilean woman at the Pilot Pen that had on the nicest shirt - and it was a women's shirt not a guy's shirt. Do you know any sports stores in Chile that sell things like that online?

Fergie
12-19-2005, 10:32 PM
I also would like one of the CHILE futbol shirts. There was a Chilean woman at the Pilot Pen that had on the nicest shirt - and it was a women's shirt not a guy's shirt. Do you know any sports stores in Chile that sell things like that online?
The futbol shirts is very nice now :) ... I don't know we have a store who sell things online but I'll post info if I find one :)

NicoFan
12-19-2005, 11:08 PM
The futbol shirts is very nice now :) ... I don't know we have a store who sell things online but I'll post info if I find one :)

Gracias Fergie. :hug:

Of course, all these things are adding up - I need a CHILE futbol shirt, and I really want the Chilenos de Oro book. So if I can't get them online, then I need to FLY to CHILE and get them! :lol: Preferably during DC and Vina! ;)

Fergie
12-19-2005, 11:11 PM
Of course, all these things are adding up - I need a CHILE futbol shirt, and I really want the Chilenos de Oro book. So if I can't get them online, then I need to FLY to CHILE and get them! :lol: Preferably during DC and Vina! ;)
The best time to travel! :angel:

If I don't find a store I can send you the things that you want! :)

NicoFan
12-20-2005, 12:25 AM
The best time to travel! :angel:

If I don't find a store I can send you the things that you want! :)

You're so nice, thank you! :hug:

But now you're going to get about 20 requests from everyone on the board! :lol:

GonzoFan
12-20-2005, 07:13 AM
I just read an article from www.lun.com
here's the link http://www.lun.com/Modulos/Catalogo/Paginas/2005/12/20/LUCPR23LU2012.HTM - I couldn't attach the article here :sad: don't know what's wrong with this computer :mad: -

Basically it says that today morning it's the ceremony (11 am) for the awards given by sport journalists and in the category "Best of the Best" Nicole Perrot and Fernando are the big favorties to win this award :) -remember that I mentioned this some days ago ?? http://www.menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=2765751&postcount=147

I think he really deserves this award! he had an amazing year, won three titles, played great the whole year! and finished the year 11th in the world! :worship:

Let's hope Fernando will win it! and let's also hope that he'll be at the ceremony cause if I remember well last year when he won this award with Nico Massu he couldn't go and his mom when (edit - when for went lol! I don't know why I wrote when :lol:) in his place.

enqvistfan
12-20-2005, 09:23 AM
I just read an article from www.lun.com
here's the link http://www.lun.com/Modulos/Catalogo/Paginas/2005/12/20/LUCPR23LU2012.HTM - I couldn't attach the article here :sad: don't know what's wrong with this computer :mad: -

Basically it says that today morning it's the ceremony (11 am) for the awards given by sport journalists and in the category "Best of the Best" Nicole Perrot and Fernando are the big favorties to win this award :) -remember that I mentioned this some days ago ?? http://www.menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=2765751&postcount=147

I think he really deserves this award! he had an amazing year, won three titles, played great the whole year! and finished the year 11th in the world! :worship:

Let's hope Fernando will win it! and let's also hope that he'll be at the ceremony cause if I remember well last year when he won this award with Nico Massu he couldn't go and his mom when in his place.

Thanks for the news :hug:
I also hope he'll receive the award :)
Here's the article !

GonzoFan
12-20-2005, 04:49 PM
Gonzo didn't won "The best of the best" award ... :sad: but he did won the award for best tennis player of the year.
I think that for him it would have been excellent to win this award after all he did this year

The winner was Alberto Gonzalez - at least it was a Gonzalez :lol: -

NicoFan
12-20-2005, 04:55 PM
Gonzo didn't won "The best of the best" award ... :sad: but he did won the award for best tennis player of the year.
I think that for him it would have been excellent to win this award after all he did this year

The winner was Alberto Gonzalez - at least it was a Gonzalez :lol: -

Well that sucks. I thought for sure that he would win. :sad:

Big :hug: for Fernando.

He's definitely "the best of the best" for us! :yeah:

GonzoFan
12-20-2005, 04:57 PM

Ohh yeah! he is definitely the best of the best for us! :worship: :worship: :worship:

olimpo
12-20-2005, 05:29 PM

I agree that really sucks! :sad: But of course he's the best of the best, but unfortunately not everyone knows this yet ;)

Here’s a link to a lovely video clip about Fernando’s visit at the Fundación Las Rosas.

http://enescena.canal13.cl/espectaculos/enescena/html/Miscelaneo/246390.html

Enjoy! :)

Fernando González showed his more humanitarian side

The national tennis player let the racket of side to visit the Saturday the 17 of December the grandparents of the Foundation Roses, with those who he shared a breakfast on the eve of Christmas. "It costs nothing to me to come to visit them, in addition it is super pretty to enjoy the grandpas awhile", declared number one of Chile, who preferred not to talk about to his personal life. "This year was to me super good, as much in tennis as in the personal. Nevertheless, I only like to make news for the reason what I do with the racket ", said the sportsman to his exit of the establishment. The "Bomber of the Queen" also had time to talk with the eldest people of our country, thus demonstrating his more humanitarian side with showing his presence in various social activities.

RogiFan88
12-20-2005, 05:45 PM
Ohh yeah! he is definitely the best of the best for us! :worship: :worship: :worship:

That's for sure! He always wins OUR awards! ;)

RogiFan88
12-20-2005, 05:49 PM
What a lovely video!!! Gracias, Olimpo! Those abuelos and abuelas appreciated Fena's visit -- how cute! One woman said it was worth it to see him in person! ;)

GonzoFan
12-20-2005, 06:12 PM
Thank you so much for the link, Olimpo! :hug:

all the abuelitos were so happy! in the news on Sunday they showed one that cried because he couldn't believe that Gonzo was there with them :hug:

He is a great man! :worship:

enqvistfan
12-20-2005, 06:40 PM
Thanks a lot for the video Olimpo :hug:
Very nice video, it shows that he's a great man :) We didn't need that video to know that but it's great to see that one of your favourite player has a "gran corazon", and rich humanly :)

Sparko1030
12-20-2005, 06:48 PM
Sad Fena didn't win the sportsman of the year award :sad: -he certainly deserved it! But at least he won best tennis player-he had such a great year.

And thanks for the link Olimpo-Fena has such a kind heart. I hope when I'm in a retirement home some hot young tennis player will come to visit! :lol:

GonzoFan
12-20-2005, 10:54 PM
I just read an article in www.cooperativa.cl and it says that Gonzo was really sad because he didn't won the award :sad: :hug:
----------------------------------------

Horacio also talked with the press - he was at the ceremony too - and said that after the ceremony they'll go to Viña del Mar (I guess they are already there) for two weeks to continue training and then on Jan 4 they'll take the plain to Auckland.

Fergie
12-20-2005, 11:10 PM
Feña deserved that award :( ... But we know that he is the best! :D

olimpo
12-20-2005, 11:17 PM
I just read an article in www.cooperativa.cl and it says that Gonzo was really sad because he didn't won the award :sad: :hug:

I read that too :sad: poor Fernando :hug: ....you can see it on the picture too although I like it somehow.

Fergie
12-20-2005, 11:21 PM
Alberto deserves the award too, but his sport isn't popular ... Feña will win the award the next years, I'm sure :)

GonzoFan
12-20-2005, 11:52 PM
I'm also sure that he'll win the award next years but the thing is that I think that Feña has been nominated to this award like two times before and one year he also was kinda the favorite to win it but didn't so that's what it makes him more sad I think ...

RogiFan88
12-21-2005, 02:19 AM
----------------------------------------

Horacio also talked with the press - he was at the ceremony too - and said that after the ceremony they'll go to Viña del Mar (I guess they are already there) for two weeks to continue training and then on Jan 4 they'll take the plain to Auckland.

:sad: Aw... pobre de Fena! Yes, it is sad he didn't win the big award! It's silly to nominate him for 3 years and not give it to him. Fena has a GRAN CORAZON!! :angel:

Jukky
12-21-2005, 05:10 PM
It's very a pity for me too, that Fena has not received this award, but it seems to me, he should not be upset because of it . The main thing for him now to concentrate, on the preparation for a next season and on perfection of the skill. And victories as well as every possible awards will come as the prize for its works. :worship:

In tennis, as well as in any other sports there is one unwritten rule - The more think of a victory, the further it from you. - The same about awards. ;)

enqvistfan
12-22-2005, 07:12 PM
Fernando's disappointment (from lun.cl)

RogiFan88
12-22-2005, 08:00 PM
Pobre de Fena...

NicoFan
12-22-2005, 09:30 PM
Poor Fernando. :hug:

It seems like the rest of the year...always so close but never quite making it. Like being #11, just barely missing out at the top ten. :sad:

GonzoFan
12-29-2005, 03:37 AM
On Sunday in a sports tv show called "Zoom Deportivo" they chose the best sportmen of the year and Gonzo was in the first place! :woohoo: and also in the newspaper El Mercurio (from Monday) Gonzo was in the first place of the "national sport character" list :yeah: :woohoo:

RogiFan88
12-29-2005, 04:53 AM
That's good news, GonzoFan!! ;)

competitiva5
12-29-2005, 12:11 PM
I just see it. WOW WOW .Its nice! The best of the Best in Chile: Fernando Gonzalez.
And I liked too the prize of "golazo" jajaja a baby!
Intersting people: the chilean ! nice!

Fergie
12-29-2005, 02:36 PM
The best choice! ... Congrats Feña! :yeah:

GonzoFan
12-29-2005, 05:31 PM
if one goes to www.tvn.cl and then click in "Deportes" then scroll down a bit and you'll see where it says Zoom Deportivo, click there and you'll be able to see some videos and Fernando should appear in some of those videos - In the first two I guess -

The videos aren't working for me :shrug: so hope it'll work for some of you ;)

sonia
12-29-2005, 06:20 PM
On Sunday in a sports tv show called "Zoom Deportivo" they chose the best sportmen of the year and Gonzo was in the first place! :woohoo: and also in the newspaper El Mercurio (from Monday) Gonzo was in the first place of the "national sport character" list :yeah: :woohoo:

Good news! Congrats Feña!!! ;)

enqvistfan
12-29-2005, 07:16 PM
Thanks a lot for the news Gonzofan :hug:
He appears briefly in the 1st one, but I can't see the second one at the moment. The TVN website is very low.

GonzoFan
01-02-2006, 09:24 AM
In a poll made by La Tercera (www.latercera.cl) Gonzo was chosen the best sportmen of the year with a 53% of the votes :worship:

The great thing about this is that 80 chilean sportmen voted and they chose Fernando as the best of the best of 2005 :worship:

Congrats to Fernando!!!! :hug: he totally deserves to be recognize as the best of the best! :worship: and especially by other sportsmen :yeah:

http://www.latercera.cl/deportes/canal/0,0,3308_5832,00.html

http://www.latercera.cl/showjpg/0,,1_180387997_246,00.jpg

Fergie
01-02-2006, 12:32 PM
Congrats Feña! :yeah:

enqvistfan
01-02-2006, 09:20 PM
Bravo campeon :)

RogiFan88
01-03-2006, 04:21 AM
Fena deserves to win ALL the polls and awards in my book!

Pattyta
01-04-2006, 12:58 PM
TODAY SPECIAL OF GONZO ON TV
ESPN+ 22.00 HRS CHILE :D
watch it if you can

HAPPY NEW YEAR FOR ALL THE FEÑATICOS HAVE A NICE YEAR :wavey:

enqvistfan
01-04-2006, 03:09 PM
watch it if you can

If you have the opportunity to watch the tv show, please tell us how it was. Thank you :hug:

GonzoFan
01-04-2006, 04:36 PM
watch it if you can

I heard about it on Tuesday :D can't wait to see it :D

RogiFan88
01-04-2006, 07:30 PM
How cool! I hope you can watch it for us! ;)

olimpo
01-04-2006, 07:55 PM
watch it if you can

:wavey:

Thanks Pattyta for letting us know. Enjoy! I have seen that it is a 1 hour special, wow!...... how I wish I could watch it *sigh* Is someone recording it?

Pattyta
01-04-2006, 11:58 PM
I'll see you by you
and I'll record it too

GonzoFan
01-06-2006, 07:29 PM
The special on ESPN was great! it was one hour special and he talked about his family, friends, life on the tour, childhood, etc,etc,etc ... he showed his house and where he keeps his trophies, also said what kind of music he likes to listen (Guns n' Roses :worship: :rocker2: U2, etc ... ) he even talked a little bit about his "fight" with Coria but what he said about it is what he already know, that he wanted to say what he said about Coria but maybe the way he said it wasn't the best way ...
His mother was also in the beggining of the show and she said that once they were going out on vacations and Gonzo was like 6 years old and that he didn't package or anything and the only thing that he was carrying were his rackets and his mom told him to leave the rackets at home because they were going to rest :lol: and then Gonzo said that he remembered that in that place where they were going there wasn't even light :lol:
He also talked about his wins over Agassi in 2003 and Sampras in 2002
he tried to remember what said to Agassi at the net after the match and he said it was something like my dream has come true or something like that

It was a great special :D

RogiFan88
01-06-2006, 08:30 PM
Aww... I wish I could see that show! Sounds great, gracias a GonzoFan!!!

enqvistfan
01-07-2006, 10:10 AM
Thanks a lot Gonzofan for the report, a collector to have :hug:

Sparko1030
01-07-2006, 07:48 PM
Thanks Gonzofan! Sounds like a great show. Fena is such a sweetheart-I can just see him as a little boy with his rackets!

GonzoFan
01-13-2006, 06:24 PM
I just read in the newspaper El Mercurio that Gonzo was going to the doctor today in Melbourne

enqvistfan
01-13-2006, 07:08 PM
I just read in the newspaper El Mercurio that Gonzo was going to the doctor today in Melbourne

Hope everything will be ok !! Thanks for the news !!

enqvistfan
01-15-2006, 12:16 PM
I found an old article about Fernando in one of my French tennis mag. Here's the translation.

The hitter with a great heart

The "surprise" of this Roland-Garros was Martin Verkerk, and not Fernando Gonzalez, the man, Fabrice Santoro was saying at the beginning of the tournament that he was a dangerous threat.

It was his first participation in the French championships, Marcelo Rios' sucessor as the number 1 player from Chile, has amazed the French audience of the center court "Philippe Chatrier" with his powerful serve and forehand and the audacity of his tennis, he only fell in 5 sets to Ferrero in the quarters. But, it's been two years that the biceps and the thighs of this "Popeye" from Santiago, 23 years old, next july 29th, he makes fear everyone on the atp tour.

Gonzalez already won 3 atp titles, all on clay : Orlando in 2000 and last year Viña del Mar and Palermo. Fast courts are not a problem for him, he made the 1/8 final last year in the Australian Open, made the final in Basel (indoor), his semi in Cincinatti where he defeated Clément, Henman, Krajicek and Roddick and finally, his first great quarter final in a grand slam, at the US OPEN, lost in the tie-break of the 5th set against the Dutch Sjeng Schalken. In the 3rd round, he defeated Juan-Carlos Ferrero. At the end of the year 2002, he was number 18 and started the year at the number 135 in the atp ranking, he was the second substitute for the Masters Cup in Shanghai.

This year, till Roland-Garros, he only made 3 quarters but one of his quarters was during the MS Hamburg with victories on : Olivier Mutis, Felix Mantilla and L.Hewitt (smashed 6/0 in the 3rd set). The last surprised of Gonzalez's results in Roland-Garros were his unhappy opponents : Gambill, Portas, Schalken and Nieminen. Concerning Ferrero, the only one who left the court as a winner after his 6th match point with a terrible fear to not be able to finish the match. He didn't search to hide his febrility that Gonzalez makes, he lost two of their last matches on the tour (on fast courts) but also... the Roland-Garros Juniors final in 1998 !

"I can't play my best tennis against Fernando", Ferrero said. "I don't know what to expect from him and it makes me nervous, it's tough to adapt to the speed of his strokes. He doesn't let you breathe, and I'm not the only one to have difficulties against him".

He's coached by Horacio de la Peña, a former player from Argentina, Fernando Gonzalez started to play tennis at the age of 5, in Santiago. He resisted to play football, another sport where he excelled. And, he decided to play tennis, thanks to the reputation of Roland-Garros in South America. "I have always dreamed of Roland-Garros in front of my tv" he said in an interview for French tennis magazine (cf Tennis mag 325). For me, and for all the South Americains and the spaniards, all the latinos, Roland-Garros, is very special, it's the biggest tournament in the world"

He qualified for the 3rd round last year, Gonzalez was a bit unlucky this year, his game is based on the speed and the punch and he thought that the balls were slower than they used to be.

One of his regrets in his match against Ferrero was his lack of first balls. For the rest, Fernando reminds that his favourite player has always been Boris Becker and he says simply : "I have always wanted to hit the ball the strongest as I could, the forehand is my best stroke. I hit it so strongly, I try sometimes to win my matches only with my strong forehand !"

Fernando is appreciated on the tour for his simplicity, his kindness, he's perceived differently comparing to his famous irascible compatriot, Marcelo Rios, Gonzalez again showed that he was a hitter with a big heart when he hug Ferrero and he said him in his ear : "Congrats for your victory. I hope you'll win the tournament because you are a great player, a nice guy and I like you". Here's a player who didn't leave the court under the whistles...

I♥PsY@Mus!c
01-15-2006, 04:10 PM
Thanks Val! :D
Gonzalez again showed that he was a hitter with a big heart when he hug Ferrero and he said him in his ear
This is so touching. ;)

olimpo
01-15-2006, 04:25 PM
Nice article :) Thanks for translating it for us Val :hug:

GonzoFan
01-15-2006, 05:06 PM
That's a great article :yeah:
Thanks Val! :hug:

RogiFan88
01-15-2006, 06:34 PM
Thanks Val for the great article and translation! It's a coincidence that I was just watching that match last night...the hug at the net always brings a tear to my eye! :sad: Definitely one of the most touching moments in tennis! :)

Sparko1030
01-16-2006, 04:32 AM
Thanks for the article Val :wavey: Fernando's behavior after the match is an example of why I'm a fan of his. He is such a good guy. :)

competitiva5
01-19-2006, 07:55 PM
UY! Feña multado por romper su raqueta en suelo australiano!..jajajaja....que chico malo!

uff....me gusta que sea un chico malo!.... histerico! ........pero lanza unos saques increiblemente potentes!

sera que soy tan fanatica?
jajajaj

NicoFan
01-20-2006, 05:16 PM
Poor Fernando. :hug: I hope he's right and he's okay. See...I didn't want him to go to Shanghai - now he's tired. :sad:

From latercera.cl:

Fernando González arrived worried, not by its early elimination in the Australia Open in the first round, but by the inconveniences that felt constantly in its right shoulder in the first two tournaments of the season.

Hardly it descended of the airplane that from Oceania transferred it, near the 11:40 hours, Gonzalez was found with the doctor Alenadro Orizola, who expected it to accompany it to the clinic to do a revision.

As it reported the own tennis player, in the hospital a nuclear resonance will be carried out to determine which is the injury that affects him, although he himself assures that only he is a matter of an overload.

"I do not believe that he be something so serious, but an overload by the pre-season and by the matches that have played, because I feel as tired the shoulder. In any case, I do not believe that this impede me to play in Vina and Davis Cup", explained the santiaguino.

Depending in the results that be obtained after the exams, González said that will take up again the practices next Monday in the Vina, to the wait of the ATP of the Fifth Region that begins the next one 30 of January.

Regarding the polemics with the American one Alex Bogomolov Jr. with whom exchanged insults by the excessive celebrations of the American, the first national racquet did not want to do polemics.

"Are things of the tennis. Truly the same thing gives me that have it sanctioned and itself not if is just or unjust", aimed González, who repeated that "never had felt me so badly in a court".

Finally, the "Bomber" referred to the eventual absence of the Slovak one Karol Beck in the clash by the first round of the World Group of Cup Davis, of February next.

"It does not it matter who of them comes, but Nicolas (Massú) and I we find us in good form", finished saying the number twelve of the world ranking of the System of Entrance.

Fergie
01-20-2006, 06:02 PM
Poor Fernando. :hug: I hope he's right and he's okay. See...I didn't want him to go to Shanghai - now he's tired. :sad:
I knew this will happens :sad:

Get well soon Feña! :hug:

enqvistfan
01-20-2006, 06:19 PM
thank you Nicofan for the article :hug:

If you want to see Fernando at his press conference when he arrived in Santiago :) Enjoy :)

At the beginning, you see two girls kissing him, don't think he knows them. Well, I was so shy to ask my pic in Paris, so I can't imagine kiss him without knowing him at the airport :lol:

http://deporte.canal13.cl/

NicoFan
01-20-2006, 06:23 PM
I'll watch when I get home from work...thanks for the link Val! :hug:

Sparko1030
01-20-2006, 06:28 PM
Thanks for the article Nicofan and the link Enqvist fan. I hope the shoulder problem is minor but I can't help but worry. :p And that was first time I'd seen video of Fena when he collapsed when he was having leg cramps... :sad: