Will JMDP, Berdych, Tsonga, Gasquet ever make something big? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Will JMDP, Berdych, Tsonga, Gasquet ever make something big?

freeandlonely
03-31-2013, 08:10 AM
Another Slam for JMDP?
How about Berdych, Tsonga, Gasquet?
Best days gone or yet to come?

Topspindoctor
03-31-2013, 08:58 AM
They are tier 2 players. Meaning they beat everyone except members of big 3 and therefore have no slams, except Depos USO which everyone knows was a fluke anyway....

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App (http://www.verticalsports.com/mobile)

Sri
03-31-2013, 09:01 AM
Delpo is obviously a bigger prospect than any of these other guys. He would have had a much better career if not for that wrist injury.

Even after the injury he has the firepower to beat anyone.

MaratandMilos
03-31-2013, 09:03 AM
Why is Gasquet included with the first three in the OP title? The guy's lost every big match he's ever played and is no threat at all to the big guns.

Ben D.
03-31-2013, 09:56 AM
during the 2000s prior to Federer/Nadal fiesta (2005) era, they could have had a great career ala Safin or Hewitt. But 2010s era is just beyond them.

IW 2013 is a terrible example: JMDP was unbelievable for 10 days and it was not enough. Bested Murray, then pull out incredible performance against Djokovic, run out of gas in final against Nadal.
Tsonga at Wimbly 2011, tops Federer (tennistically i mean :p) then shows heroic resistance against Djokovic but loses it anyway. Even if he had won, Nadal was waiting next.
Gasquet is dreadful in slams but he is making the best of his draws in MS and it almost always ends up with a big 4.

Federer-Fan
03-31-2013, 10:23 AM
Can you fire Gasquet on this list please ? His best result in a Grand Slam since 2007 is R4...

Sanya
03-31-2013, 10:35 AM
Smart decision to include Gasquet. :yeah: His best years and results are still ahead of him, he will definitely win something big. Delpo as well.

fluffyyelloballz
03-31-2013, 10:35 AM
You can't include Delpo in this group. He beat Nadal and Federer back to back in 09 to win the US Open.

pierricbross
03-31-2013, 11:20 AM
Del Potro won the US Open, Berdych is a Wimbledon finalist, and Tsonga an Australian Open finalist. They have already achieved more in their career than 99.9% of professional players past and present. Can they achieve even more? Berdych is primed for another slam final in my opinion. Do not think he will win it though unless he faces another surprise finalist. I think Tsonga is done despite his promising matches. Del Potro... less chance than Berdych to make a final, but more to win if he gets that far.

DanaKz
03-31-2013, 11:28 AM
No.

se7en
03-31-2013, 11:39 AM
Why is Elf included in this group of chokers when he's done something which others have failed to do. Win a slam beating Federror and Dull. Notably handing Dull his most embarrassing loss to date. :lol:

Abel
03-31-2013, 12:13 PM
Tsonga has probably, sadly, missed his chance. But then it's not like Stronga's appearances are particularly predictable so :shrug:

Berdych and Delpo have great chances at 1000s/Slams depending on draws.

Pirata.
03-31-2013, 12:40 PM
Berdych and Delpo have great chances at 1000s/Slams depending on draws.

No, they don't, especially not if they keep losing in the early rounds to mugs.

Abel
03-31-2013, 12:46 PM
No, they don't, especially not if they keep losing in the early rounds to mugs.

Berdych could easily have made the USO final last year :shrug: At Wimbledon this year, for example, he only really needs to worry about Nadal. He can beat anyone else there.

Delpo will have plenty of chances over the coming years.

Chase Visa
03-31-2013, 12:47 PM
Delpo = eventually. Will need to cut upset losses though. He's at least won a Slam.
Berdych = see above. But he has less time and hasn't won a Slam or a good Masters.
Tsonga = not unless his BH/RoS improves.
Gasquet = doubtful.

Newcomer
03-31-2013, 12:59 PM
Gasquet will improve his record of winning MM's tournaments without 500, MS, GS.
Potro is a real deal. Maybe he will never find his best form again, but I see him as real contender to win slams.
Berdych has a chance, if he will get draw like vulture always takes.
Tsonga is declining and this tendency will continue.

BauerAlmeida
03-31-2013, 02:39 PM
Del Potro will probably win a slam again at some point in his career. Plus obviously he already has one, so he already ranks ahead of Tsonga and Berdych. I think their best chance of wining a slam is gone, but if they can play at their best for 2 weeks they might have a shot, specially Tsonga who can beat anyone while Berdych seems to be unable to trouble Nadal and Djokovic. Gasquet is a different story, he just seems to struggle against pretty much all of the players ranked above him, so I wouldn't count on him wining a M1000, let alone a slam.

during the 2000s prior to Federer/Nadal fiesta (2005) era, they could have had a great career ala Safin or Hewitt. But 2010s era is just beyond them.

Safin is definitely superior to them and Hewitt is probably better too. I think that if you put these 2 and the other 4 in any era, Safin and Hewitt would end up having the best career.

Pirata.
03-31-2013, 03:08 PM
At Wimbledon this year, for example, he only really needs to worry about Nadal.

:spit:

He lost to Gulbis in the FIRST ROUND last year. He really needs to worry about everybody, tbh.

born_on_clay
03-31-2013, 03:32 PM
Juan Martin will win more Slams

Abel
03-31-2013, 03:37 PM

He lost to Gulbis in the FIRST ROUND last year. He really needs to worry about everybody, tbh.

I'm talking about if Berdych is playing well as one would hope would be obvious if you had basic comprehension. He could beat anyone except Nadal. It's not guaranteed but it's certainly far from impossible.

jcempire
03-31-2013, 04:08 PM
JMDP already got one. I think Berdych would have a great chance if he keep going up

Gas and Tsonga may not have a good chance

nazzac
03-31-2013, 05:06 PM
Del Po is the best shot at winning another slam.
Berdych doesn't have the mental strength against the top players except Fed
Tsonga most likely will not do anything much again,but if Stronga turns up then who knows
Gasquet is a level below these guys really

TigerTim
03-31-2013, 05:07 PM
the USO is something big iirc

fede37
03-31-2013, 05:41 PM
Delpo to win another Slam ! FO :scratch:
and die to see Tomas lift a crown of GS :sobbing: I think he has a chance

I do not think Richi and Jo win one :hug:

redshift36188
03-31-2013, 07:31 PM

Gulbis is a great player.

Pirata.
03-31-2013, 08:05 PM
I'm talking about if Berdych is playing well as one would hope would be obvious if you had basic comprehension. He could beat anyone except Nadal. It's not guaranteed but it's certainly far from impossible.

If Lopez was playing as well as one would hope, he'd make the QFs again this year too :rolleyes:

Mr.Prysse.
03-31-2013, 08:08 PM
Del Potro has time but all the others are 26-27-28 years old. Time is running out fast.

Surcouf
03-31-2013, 08:10 PM
Del Potro has already won a slam, and can upset anyone on a good day. Will never be a top 2 player, far too inconsistent, but can win a slam.

Berdych has made a Wimbledon final, and is a threat to Federer and Murray but can't beat Nadal and Djokovic. Could win a slam, but not a big chance.

Tsonga is raw card, played the tournament of his life at AO 2008. I don't think it will ever happen again. He is also very bad on clay.

Gasquet, what to say about him? He was at his best at 19, in 2005. Since, except that Wimbledon semi in 2007, he hasn't don anything worthy to be mentionned in slams. He has terrible fitness, and therefore can't beat Nadal, Djokovic and Murray. He could upset Federer in one match. But unfortunately, I don't see him anywhere near a slam final. I would love to be wrong.

MuzzahLovah
03-31-2013, 08:27 PM
Very possible if theyonly get there fav member of the top4 and don't have to beat 2 or 3 in a row.

And there is also that floater nadal,they don,t have to worry about him until the semis

Ziggy B
03-31-2013, 09:42 PM
Delpo I think can, has time on his side.

Love Tsonga and his game but he's not made full use of his "prime" and may have missed the boat, hope not.

Berdych is a hard one to predict, gives Fed trouble consistently now, Nadal and Djoko not so much.

Gasquet I'd love to see have a good run but his forehand needs to become more of a weapon to challenge the top guys. The generally tougher shot (backhand) is a weapon already that many don't possess, never mind one handed. His fitness needs a boost too.

BackhandDTL
04-01-2013, 04:50 AM
the USO is something big iirc

Debatable mate. I heard the event lets really questionable players enter the draw, like that "wind" fellow who picked on poor Nole in last year's final.

:shrug:

Ben D.
04-01-2013, 06:57 AM
make a poll!