Miami SF: Murray def. Gasquet 6-7 (3), 6-1, 6-2 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Miami SF: Murray def. Gasquet 6-7 (3), 6-1, 6-2

ProdigyEng
03-30-2013, 02:11 AM
Second two sets might not make it look like it, but this was a great match. Both men showing great variety in their game.

Hopefully Andy can thrash Ferrer now!

BackhandDTL
It was a well-contested match, with plenty of highlights from both players.

Gasquet, unfortunately, seemed to suffer from an injury, but fought well nonetheless.

Thank goodness Murray moves to the final to restore order.

SerialKillerToBe
tennis died tonight. And on Sunday it will be played in the underworld. Cannot WAIT for the clay season, where at least we'll have a surface that plays like it's supposed to play

Lugburz
sad day :sad:

GasquetGulbis
03-30-2013, 02:12 AM
Andy Murray takes a page out of David Ferrer's book, pushes a shot-maker to death.

philosophicalarf
03-30-2013, 02:13 AM
Andy Murray takes a page out of David Ferrer's book, pushes a shot-maker to death.

Except ....... Murray hit far, far more winners. Even in the first set he had 20, Gasquet 11.

Should have been 6/4 6/1, except Murray makes three UEs and a df serving out the opening set. Was well on top at that point, totally out of nowhere.

BackhandDTL
^ Way to watch the match.

SheepleBuster
Back to minors for Gasquet. Good riddance. Congrats Murray for another title

janko05
ultimate warrior this Murray
well Richie, if you're not prepared to fight for 2-3 hours don't bother to show up

Brit Tennis Fan
03-30-2013, 02:14 AM
Entertaining match.

Rychu
Good fight Richard:), but it was pretty much NID since the 2nd set.
Murray - Ferrer final :confused::zzz:

TigerTim
nicely done from Slamray OBE

GasquetGulbis
Except ....... Murray hit far, far more winners. Even in the first set he had 20, Gasquet 11.

Gasquet had way more than 11 winners in the first set. If Murray gets a millimetre of his racket onto the ball, and doesn't even cause a change in direction, it goes down as an error. ATP has to realize what it means to hit a winner in tennis.

Cereal Killer
03-30-2013, 02:15 AM
Great match, I was delighted with some of the points. Some ridiculous angles and rallies in general.

I hope you aren't serious.

blackwell
The pusher had a few nice backhand winners and nothing more.. Tennis is saved. Congrats, Andy

ProdigyEng
How so?

hvo
36 winners for AM and 19 for RG but all haters remember will be RG's amazing backhand.

ProdigyEng
tennis died tonight. And on Sunday it will be played in the underworld. Cannot WAIT for the clay season, where at least we'll have a surface that plays like it's supposed to play

You're such a pathetic hater it's unreal. How can Tennis die when it was a great match?

Sham Kay
Andy was incredibly aggressive here. Just had to say that. Very rarely passive, great to see.

MuzzahLovah
Great play from Muzz the last set, good effort Gasquet, should move up past Tipsy correct?

GasquetGulbis
03-30-2013, 02:16 AM
36 winners for AM and 19 for RG but all haters remember will be RG's amazing backhand.

How many of Andy's winners were lobs?

Surcouf
Gasquet can't keep his best level during more than one set. Depressing match for people who hoped he had improved and could make a bigger impact on the tour.

It is the same old Gasquet that won't be able to win something big. Not with this gas tank. His serve also let him down big time today. He had, on the positive side, some fantastic volleys today.

BackhandDTL
ultimate warrior this Murray
well Richie, if you're not prepared to fight for 2-3 hours don't bother to show up

I would argue that he did fight, despite being hampered by his foot/ankle even.

Murray did well to keep him at bay though... Those lobs that he worked off the Gasquet approach, moving him around the court and forcing him to scramble a lot. It was a well executed response from Andy.

Chris Kuerten
Gasquet a shot maker, hahaha. He is a pusher whose game is a lot more defensive than Ferrer's.

SheepleBuster
03-30-2013, 02:17 AM
Gasquet is so overrated. I am sick of hearing about his talent. What has he f'n accomplished? I hate Murray and Nadal but let's face it, just because they say Richard is talented after they wipe the floor with him, that does not mean it's true. lol

ProdigyEng
36 winners from the so called pusher with no forehand :lol:

Noleta
Entertaining first set,some great shot making.Second and third pretty much routine for Muzza,as expected,Richie couldn't maintain his level throughout the match,and he was too polite to not take the gift from Muzza in that 3rd set.

Congrats on another Master final Muzza:yeah:

Richie:hug:

nolesfan2011
good enough match from Murray once again, close 1st set but put the pedal to the metal in the latter couple of sets and got it done.. now onward to the title! :worship: :drive:

Tiebreak100

You are officially mental. Stop talking nonsense.

SerialKillerToBe
You're such a pathetic hater it's unreal. How can Tennis die when it was a great match?

Are you oblivious to the height that the balls bounce to on these courts?

Mark Lenders
03-30-2013, 02:18 AM
Good. Sounds a bit bizarre that Murray will leave the IW-Miami combo with another Masters title having only faced one top player and lost said match, but the alternative is far worse, so Murray to save tennis on Sunday hopefully :yeah:

scoobs
I wanted to see Andy play at close to his best and I think especially it sets 2 and 3 he did that - all aspects of his game were working well together for pretty much the first time this season.

BackhandDTL
Gasquet can't keep his best level during more than one set. Depressing match for people who hoped he had improved and could make a bigger impact on the tour.

It is the same old Gasquet that won't be able to win something big. Not with this gas tank. His serve also let him down big time today. He had, on the positive side, some fantastic volleys today.

FFS, I hope he recognizes that as well. Gasquet is clearly one of the better volleyers on tour, and I would hope he makes more efforts to approach the net. It's a shame clay is coming up, which may ultimately deter him from continuing to come forward.

And yeah, his serve was eaten alive tonight.

MuzzahLovah
03-30-2013, 02:19 AM

Winners don't count if Murray hits them :haha:

VamosRafaNadal
03-30-2013, 02:19 AM
Good strategical match from Andy. Despite the fact that he was erratic and playing bad when he was leading the scoreline, he forced Gasquet to enter in a physical war that Murray was sure he was going to win... and he did it. Gasquet had very good moment, made great winners but at the end was too exhausted and he couldn't fight against Murray in the baseline.

Good win for Andy in his best match of the tournament.

Noleta
03-30-2013, 02:20 AM
Gasquet a shot maker, hahaha. He is a pusher whose game is a lot more defensive than Ferrer's.

No.

hvo
03-30-2013, 02:20 AM
I guess whoever started a topic whinging about how annoying AM's defensive lob were should be extremely annoyed by his lobs tonight. Oh poor soul!

I thought RG has improved his fitness a lot. Maybe it's not physical but mental issue for him.

Surcouf
03-30-2013, 02:21 AM
Good. Sounds a bit bizarre that Murray will leave the IW-Miami combo with another Masters title having only faced one top player and lost said match, but the alternative is far worse, so Murray to save tennis on Sunday hopefully :yeah:

I reckon, Murray is nearly as skilled as Federer to get the MS titles when all the other top players are missing

Surcouf
03-30-2013, 02:21 AM
I guess whoever started a topic whinging about how annoying AM's defensive lob were should be extremely annoyed by his lobs tonight. Oh poor soul!

I thought RG has improved his fitness a lot. Maybe it's not physical but mental issue for him.

It is physical.

Gasquet was sweeting like crazy after 20 minutes. Maybe he has some unnecessary weight

Murray Mint
03-30-2013, 02:22 AM
Anyway, really entertaining stuff, some of Richie's shots were sublime. The lesson - don't piss off Goldray. In this form, he should put Ferrer away tomorrow. David should learn from this and bend over for a 6-4, 6-3 affair. And well done to David for making another Masters final and pissing everyone off.

pray-for-palestine-and-israel
03-30-2013, 02:23 AM
Tennis is dead

blackwell
Gasquet's game is a little bit more enjoyable than Ferrer's because he hit nice winners sometimes. But of course they both are clear anti-tennis players..

SheepleBuster
Richard Gasquet is a shotmaker. Nobody is denying that. People are so defensive. But what has he done in his career? I am just not sure. He has had some decent results but his career is a failure for someone "so talented." Beating Berdych does not make you a world beater.

ProdigyEng
03-30-2013, 02:24 AM
No love for my thread :facepalm:

Murray Mint
03-30-2013, 02:24 AM
I reckon, Murray is nearly as skilled as Federer to get the MS titles when all the other top players are missing
5 Masters titles in finals against Federer (2) and Djokovic (3). Full of shit - just like the rest of Andy's haters.

Certinfy
03-30-2013, 02:25 AM
Murray was fucking amazing besides choking the first. Come on!

Surcouf
Gasquet game more defensive than Ferrer's? That's a bad joke? Gasquet can't chase a ball properly.

hvo
Anyway, really entertaining stuff, some of Richie's shots were sublime. The lesson - don't piss off Goldray. In this form, he should put Ferrer away tomorrow. David should learn from this and bend over for a 6-4, 6-3 affair. And well done to David for making another Masters final and pissing everyone off.
I doubt the final match will be as good as this one. The only dilemma for MTF iwill be who to support because well they hate both of them, ha ha.

Murray Mint
Tennis is dead

I think I should pray for you.

delboy
03-30-2013, 02:26 AM
Very enjoyable match for the most part until the inevitable finale. Both showing their talent and both going from sublime to average sporadically. Best match of this tournament so far (which aint saying much I know).

Surcouf
03-30-2013, 02:26 AM
5 Masters titles in finals against Federer (2) and Djokovic (3). Full of shit - just like the rest of Andy's haters.

I don't hate Murray at all. After Nadal he is my favourite top player. But he often get the titles when the other guys fuck things up.

Chris Kuerten
03-30-2013, 02:31 AM
Gasquet game more defensive than Ferrer's? That's a bad joke? Gasquet can't chase a ball properly.

Gasquet stands several meters behind the baseline moonballing balls back in play, while Ferrer is aggressive and plays inside the court.

Cereal Killer
03-30-2013, 02:31 AM

He played Federer to win Madrid 2008 as well, albeit in the semis.

I seem to remember Djokovic only played one top 10 player to win Toronto (Tipsarevic), but that's different, obviously.

hvo
03-30-2013, 02:32 AM
I don't hate Murray at all. After Nadal he is my favourite top player. But he often get the titles when the other guys fuck things up.

And that's entirely AM's fault.
Beat the opponent on the other side of the net by winning the last point. And that's tennis.
Hope I fully explain to you in plain English.

Andi-M
03-30-2013, 02:32 AM
Great tennis from Andy in sets 2 and 3 really lovely stuff!Richie played some gorgeous shots too.

Was mad at Andy in first set at 5-4 30-15 up but glad it happened because he has played himself into form now hopefully.

Surcouf
03-30-2013, 02:33 AM
Gasquet stands several meters behind the baseline moonballing balls back in play, while Ferrer is aggressive and plays inside the court.

Ferrer can be agressive, but don't act like he doesn't defend much better than Gasquet.

Chirag
03-30-2013, 02:34 AM
nice job by Andy :yeah:

Chris Kuerten
03-30-2013, 02:35 AM
Ferrer can be agressive, but don't act like he doesn't defend much better than Gasquet.Obviously.

BackhandDTL

Edit: Looked some of his results up to be sure:

USO over Djokovic and Berdych
Cinci '11 over Djokovic, #7 Fish
Shanghai '10 over Fed
Canada '10 over #3 Fed, #1 Nadal, Nalbandian, and Monfils
Canada '09 over #7 Tsonga, #6 Del Po, #8 Davy
Miami '09 over Djokovic, #7 Del Po, #9 Verdasco
Madrid '08 over Fed, Simon, Monfils
Cinci '08 over Djokovic

Who exactly is screwing up for him?

Jafooli
How many of Andy's winners were lobs?

About 3. Seriously, just stop posting.

Anyway pretty entertaining match, comfortably the best Andy's played since Australia, bar the standard occasional clownery.

No messing about on Sunday please Muzz.

Sebes
03-30-2013, 02:37 AM
And to think that after first sets of both SFs we had a Haas - Gasquet final of a Masters tournament.
And we end up with Murray vs Ferrer.

This tournament HAD potential.

Hopefully,Andy will make it as brief and painless as possible.I value my Sunday time.

Godsquet > You
Godsquet was cooked.
But this master 1000 isn't important at all so not a big deal.
What matters is that Godsquet hit shots from a different planet during this match that you couldn't even reproduce on your fucking Xbox or PS3. I'm sure your fucking brains are not complex enough to imagine shots like that in your pathetic dreams where you win some GS.
Godsquet > You

MrPlateperson
Another letdown from gasquet...Any chance he makes a late career surge at some point?

philosophicalarf
He played Federer in to win Madrid 2008 as well, albeit in the semis.

...and Nadal when he won Toronto 2010. Also Montreal 2009 he beat peak Del Potro, just before he won the US Open.

Three of Murray's masters were a bit lucky:

Shanghai 2010: insanely lucky draw to the final, although he really turned it on there to cream Federer.

Cinci 2011: only played his pigeon Simon, Fish and Djoko in the final, who retired.

Shanghai 2011: easy draw, Ferrer in the final. Having said that, he was fantastic around then - the week before, he bagelled Nadal in the Tokyo final.

The other five were all well earned. Especially Toronto 2010, best tennis of Murray's career imo.

He seems to have rather got disinterested in masters the last couple of years though.

Moozza
03-30-2013, 02:38 AM
Nice one Andy :yeah:

Definitely getting back to his best, a few bad service games to gift breaks but aside from that a good performance. Timing the ball much better.

Don't see him having much trouble with Ferrer on his way to claiming his 9th masters title.

I

ProdigyEng
03-30-2013, 02:39 AM
Nice one Andy :yeah:

Definitely getting back to his best, a few bad service games to gift breaks but aside from that a good performance. Timing the ball much better.

Don't see him having much trouble with Ferrer on his way to claiming his 9th masters title.

I

No longer a Ferru tard?

Tiebreak100
03-30-2013, 02:40 AM
You will not beat Murray over any distance if you do not attack the second serve. Pretty simple.

leng jai
03-30-2013, 02:41 AM
Ferrer is far more offensive than Gasquet - the difference is Ferrer defends better.

Moozza
03-30-2013, 02:41 AM
And to think that after first sets of both SFs we had a Haas - Gasquet final of a Masters tournament.
And we end up with Murray vs Ferrer.

This tournament HAD potential.

Hopefully,Andy will make it as brief and painless as possible.I value my Sunday time.

:haha: who is forcing you to watch it?

Puschkin
03-30-2013, 02:43 AM
Gasquet was sweeting like crazy after 20 minutes.
He always does, that does not mean anything.

Though my man lost, I thought it was a good match from both, Murray was just too good today.

Sham Kay
03-30-2013, 02:43 AM

Might do well to worry more about why the other guys are fucking things up, rather than worrying about players who are beating the opponents put in front of them and winning the titles. Same goes for Ferrer's detractors; criticising him for winning titles when supposed better players around him are getting dismantled is rather inane. I don't expect those saying things like "tennis is dead" to know what inane means.

Moozza
03-30-2013, 02:44 AM
No longer a Ferru tard?

Never have been. Just think he deserves more respect for how hard he works. Enjoy seeing him make the haters mad.

MuzzahLovah
03-30-2013, 02:48 AM
Murray was fucking amazing besides choking the first. Come on!

:yeah:

SheepleBuster
03-30-2013, 02:49 AM
Murray needed this title to catch the #1. Is he #2 already or does he need to win this?

Sebes
03-30-2013, 02:49 AM
[/B]

:haha: who is forcing you to watch it?

I'll probably force myself,eventually.
There is always a chance that Goldray is in the house and he'll serve as the garbage man.
Maybe my imagination is limited,but I believe it's the only way this match can be entertaining.

Sham Kay
03-30-2013, 02:50 AM
Edit: Looked some of his results up to be sure:

USO over Djokovic and Berdych
Cinci '11 over Djokovic, #7 Fish
Shanghai '10 over Fed
Canada '10 over #3 Fed, #1 Nadal, Nalbandian, and Monfils
Canada '09 over #7 Tsonga, #6 Del Po, #8 Davy
Miami '09 over Djokovic, #7 Del Po, #9 Verdasco
Madrid '08 over Fed, Simon, Monfils
Cinci '08 over Djokovic

Who exactly is screwing up for him?

I call this and raise, Olympics '12 over Djokovic and Federer

MuzzahLovah
03-30-2013, 02:54 AM
I call this and raise, Olympics '12 over Djokovic and Federer

Who? Never heard of them. :lol:

Cereal Killer
03-30-2013, 02:58 AM
...and Nadal when he won Toronto 2010. Also Montreal 2009 he beat peak Del Potro, just before he won the US Open.

Three of Murray's masters were a bit lucky:

Shanghai 2010: insanely lucky draw to the final, although he really turned it on there to cream Federer.

Cinci 2011: only played his pigeon Simon, Fish and Djoko in the final, who retired.

Shanghai 2011: easy draw, Ferrer in the final. Having said that, he was fantastic around then - the week before, he bagelled Nadal in the Tokyo final.

The other five were all well earned. Especially Toronto 2010, best tennis of Murray's career imo.

He seems to have rather got disinterested in masters the last couple of years though.

The other three were well-earned as well. How is it his fault if the other guys weren't playing well enough to get to the latter rounds? Exactly. And even here, he will still have to beat two top 10 players to win the title. This mentality that no one aside from Djokovic, Nadal and Federer can play tennis is ridiculous. Granted, Federer and Nadal weren't here, but Djokovic doesn't really have an excuse for not being able to beat Haas.

Certinfy
03-30-2013, 02:59 AM
Who? Never heard of them. :lol:
:lol: :worship:

blackwell
03-30-2013, 03:13 AM
Ferrer is a disgusting grinder who has a robotic game (no variety, no angles, no drop shots, no slices, no volleys.. nothing - only running and monotonus shots).
Gasqueat also is a clown. He is a pusher, but more versatile player with an exellent backhand. That's why Gasquet is a lesser evil.

jcempire
03-30-2013, 03:20 AM
Go Go ANDY

Schu
03-30-2013, 04:01 AM
It is physical.

Gasquet was sweeting like crazy after 20 minutes. Maybe he has some unnecessary weight

Gasquet always sweats like crazy and that has NOTHING to do with fitness. Some people just sweat more than others, that is their biochemical makeup. Do you see any extra weight on Gasquet? Physical fitness was NOT the issue today, Gasquet's fitness has improved greatly and If haters would open their eyes it would be easy to see.

Sometime near the end of the first set Gasquet did something to his foot and he was unable to focus on his game after that. Maybe his mental fitness was an issue but not his physical fitness. No one knows how much Gasquet was hurting because unlike Murray he didn't perform a 3 act drama everytime it hurt but tried his best to keep playing - just mentally couldn't focus.

In order for Richard to be competitive with Murray he had to play 110% but after he "dinged" his foot he was far from that; he totally lost the plot.

First set had some amazing shots from both and some people on MTF need to learn the differnce between SMART, patient play and pushing.

PorkBarrel
03-30-2013, 04:19 AM
I enjoyed the match, some terrific rallies and touch at the net. Gasquet's BH was on fire at the start. Both guys played some very sloppy service games to gift breaks so the BP conversion rate was really high as a result.

Andy's lobs were right on target as was the FH pass. Second serve was still hovering around 80 but it had good depth for the most part.

Great tennis from Andy in sets 2 and 3 really lovely stuff!Richie played some gorgeous shots too.

Was mad at Andy in first set at 5-4 30-15 up but glad it happened because he has played himself into form now hopefully.
Indeed. Could be a blessing in disguise. :D

Topspindoctor
03-30-2013, 04:48 AM
Gascoke's fitness is worse than The Biggest Loser contestants.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App (http://www.verticalsports.com/mobile)

3c273
03-30-2013, 05:24 AM
1 or 2 I guess

paseo
03-30-2013, 05:34 AM
Spartan Warrior, this Andy Murray.

Mountaindewslave
03-30-2013, 05:47 AM

a pusher? give me a match example where he pushed the majority of it: you can't find them
just because at times Gasquet doesn't hit the ball with tons of pace and necessarily 'go for it' doesn't make him a pusher
he mixes in a lot of variety and rarely tries a pushing longevity game style, he's not fit enough for it. certainly not in 2013 so far either, he's been pretty offensive
against Murray maybe not, I was at work during the match, but sometimes you have to attempt to change tactics against such a great mover/returner as Murray is
sad though
had hoped that Richie was finally getting there
maybe later this season, taking the first set and beating Berdych this tournament is a sign of progress

Mr. Oracle
03-30-2013, 06:04 AM
Second two sets might not make it look like it, but this was a great match. Both men showing great variety in their game.

Hopefully Andy can thrash Ferrer now!

Bro why would you want this? :shrug:

Mr. Oracle
03-30-2013, 06:09 AM

Nice infusion of mythology...thanks for the wake up call. Too dobar.

motorhead
03-30-2013, 06:27 AM
Gasquet had way more than 11 winners in the first set. If Murray gets a millimetre of his racket onto the ball, and doesn't even cause a change in direction, it goes down as an error. ATP has to realize what it means to hit a winner in tennis.

indeeed, those stats on 1st winner were so wrong it was hilarious.

rocketassist
03-30-2013, 06:28 AM
hipolymer is such a mong

Allez
03-30-2013, 06:31 AM
Murray with far more winners than Gasquest and still some clowns mistake his versatility for "pushing" :rolleyes:

Topspindoctor
03-30-2013, 08:02 AM
Murray with far more winners than Gasquest and still some clowns mistake his versatility for "pushing" :rolleyes:

Ill offer my unbiased opinion in the matter: they are both pushers. Hope that settled it. :yeah:

born_on_clay
03-30-2013, 09:22 AM
Meltdown from Richard in two final sets :help: But anyway good tournament Richie :)

Mental Giant
03-30-2013, 10:02 AM
The only good thing about that match is we are one match closer to seeing Nadal on clay! Its gonna be beautiful!

Lopez
03-30-2013, 10:13 AM
Murray should've won in two but brainfarted the break away and Gasquet was great in the TB. Ran out of gas and seemed to have some issue with his right ankle/foot and couldn't compete at all in the second two sets.

B-Nard
03-30-2013, 10:17 AM
Gasquet (the apparent introvert) arguing with the umpire was a thing of sheer beauty.

Ben D.
03-30-2013, 12:04 PM
Congrats Richie for your great week here :yeah: go Andy for the title :)

retister
03-30-2013, 02:43 PM
Andy raising his form as expected. Clay season seems promising. Hopefully we'll see some Andy - Rafa matches.

ProdigyEng
03-30-2013, 02:49 PM
Bro why would you want this? :shrug:

Because I'm a Murray fan...

Whiznot
03-30-2013, 02:59 PM
In the first set Gasquet crushes 103 mph down-the-line backhand winner. Spectators and commentators all are stunned as am I. That was the best groundstroke I've seen.

yuri27
03-30-2013, 04:42 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Mc582I7PS8

That forehand at 3min35 just epitomizes one of the reasons why Gasquet has yet to win something better than an ATP 250.
The approach was good but the forehand.....:facepalm:
The guy simply doesn't have a clue about how to hit a forehand when advancing.

Oh and by the way, 11 FH winners to 0 for Murray in the first set.
Considering that Murray's FH is hardly world class, it says quite a lot about Gasquet's FH who has supposedly improved....

Dark Knight
03-30-2013, 05:23 PM
Expected. Gasquet needs a flatter forehand....this moonball type doesn't work against good defenders.

yuri27
03-30-2013, 06:27 PM
Expected. Gasquet needs a flatter forehand....this moonball type doesn't work against good defenders.

Moonball could work if it wasn't short (see Nadal).
But Gasquet's FH technique is clearly not adapted to agressive moonball.
Actually, i'm not even sure he really wants to moonball with his FH, it's just that he can't do anything else with his rally FH technique.
Strangely enough, when he is on run, he can flatten it and make it much more watchable and dangerous.

PorkBarrel
03-30-2013, 06:58 PM
In the first set Gasquet crushes 103 mph down-the-line backhand winner. Spectators and commentators all are stunned as am I. That was the best groundstroke I've seen.
It was breathtaking. :worship:

The third game had 3 BH winners from Richie, could watch it again and again. Also the half-volley winner in the TB.

yuri27
03-30-2013, 07:02 PM
It was breathtaking. :worship:

The third game had 3 BH winners from Richie, could watch it again and again. Also the half-volley winner in the TB.

Sadly, it was widely made up by all those loopy FHs of his which landed before the first line after the net.
That made Murray look like an attacking player.

Dark Knight
03-30-2013, 07:02 PM
Actually, i'm not even sure he really wants to moonball with his FH, it's just that he can't do anything else with his rally FH technique.
Strangely enough, when he is on run, he can flatten it and make it much more watchable and dangerous.

Yup wonder why doesn't he hit flatter off that wing. It would help his overall game. Can't his coach help him there??

yuri27
03-30-2013, 07:04 PM
Yup wonder why doesn't he hit flatter off that wing. It would help his overall game. Can't his coach help him there??

Yeah and the worst is that he has showed to have the ability to do that (even in his yesterday match against Murray), contrary to a guy like Ferrer for example.
He has the racked speed to hit big FHs.

Dark Knight
03-30-2013, 07:08 PM
Yeah and the worst is that he has showed to have the ability to do that (even in his yesterday match against Murray), contrary to a guy like Ferrer for example.
He has the racked speed to hit big FHs.

For a guy with such a great one hander...its hard to believe he hits such a strange forehand most of the time. :confused:

To beat these top guys a good forehand is very important..cant do it alone with the backhand.

yuri27
03-30-2013, 07:13 PM
For a guy with such a great one hander...its hard to believe he hits such a strange forehand most of the time. :confused:

To beat these top guys a good forehand is very important..cant do it alone with the backhand.

The biggest problem with his FH is not that he can't hit a lot of winners with it but much more that it's very often the main reason why he is so often in defensive position.
A lot of players don't have a FH which is a weapon but at least, it's not a big weakness (contrary to BH which is a less natural shot -particularly the one-hander so no wonder many players have their BH as a weakness).
Gasquet is one of the very few top players whose FH is really a big weakness because it puts a handicap on him on almost every rally.

Dark Knight
03-30-2013, 07:19 PM
The biggest problem with his FH is not that he can't hit a lot of winners with it but much more that it's very often the main reason why he is so often in defensive position.
A lot of players don't have a FH which is a weapon but at least, it's not a big weakness (contrary to BH which is a less natural shot -particularly the one-hander so no wonder many players have their BH as a weakness).
Gasquet is one of the very few top players whose FH is really a big weakness because it puts a handicap on him on almost every rally.

True. I think its the reason few guys consider him to be a "pusher".

ProdigyEng
03-30-2013, 07:24 PM
people say so many bullshits ... actually Murray had no backhand winner at that moment and only forehand winners, does it mean that Murray's forehand is better than his forehand ?

And in the match between Ferrer and Haas, Haas had many more backhand unforced errors than Ferrer, and Ferrer had many more forehand unforced errors than Haas.

What does that mean ? that people have too precise schemes in their minds, Ferrer, Haas, Murray and Gasquet can use both forehands and backhands effectively, even though yes, Gasquet's forehand is hardly a big weapon.

Forehand is better than his forehand? Sure....

Right now Murray's forehand is better than his backhand.

Such a great shot he's made it, considering he's apparently a pusher with no forehand.

Dark Knight
03-30-2013, 07:26 PM
Forehand is better than his forehand? Sure....

Right now Murray's forehand is better than his backhand.

Such a great shot he's made it, considering he's apparently a pusher with no forehand.

Haha :haha:

Well i think his forehand has improved but his backhand is still the better shot overall.

Mental Giant
03-30-2013, 07:26 PM
Andy raising his form as expected. Clay season seems promising. Hopefully we'll see some Andy - Rafa matches.

Oh I have waited so long for this beatdown. So so long!

ProdigyEng
03-30-2013, 07:29 PM
Haha :haha:

Well i think his forehand has improved but his backhand is still the better shot overall.

True, but his backhand has been weak recently.

Oh I have waited so long for this beatdown. So so long!

Such a pathetic bitter. Your freakin' obsessed with Murray man, I think you need to see a Doctor or something.

Topspindoctor
03-30-2013, 07:40 PM

Nadal doesn't moonball with forehand :wavey: if Gascoke could generate even half the spin Nadal puts on his FH, maybe he could add something more than 250 title to his collection

Sapeod
03-30-2013, 08:51 PM
After that first set, Andy was way too superior, as he should be. Gasquet remains his bitch.

Certinfy
03-31-2013, 12:25 AM
Murray's forehand was definitely better than his backhand in this match.

In fact I can't actually remember the last time Murray has hit his backhand anywhere near the level he's capable of, hopefully we'll see that tomorrow but I doubt it.

Kowchi
03-31-2013, 05:05 AM
McEnroe was so honest about Gasquet XD. Dogged on his fitness all night. I think his fitness and nerves got the best of him, plus Murray raising his level.

Murray's serve got him aces. He had a plethora of forehand winners (Lendl would be proud), plus he had a great mental game, post set 1.

n8
03-31-2013, 05:29 AM
What a half volley this was:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Mc582I7PS8#t=9m55s

Puschkin
04-05-2013, 11:15 AM
a comment by Gasquet after withdrawing from the Davis cup quarterfinal because of his ankle, which is quite interesting for those who know that he's usually one who usually underrates himself rather than the opposite :

"In Florida, my physical condition hadn't held that well. If it had, I wouldn't have got 1 and 2 against Murray in the semi. I would have won"

Indeed, a very rare comment for him as he normally tends to (over)praise his opponents. Also his outburst against the umpire was quite surprising. I have never seen him like that before. It remains to be seen how things develop in the future, but (having watched him for many years) I do see a change in his attitude since the Olympics.

yuri27
04-05-2013, 10:53 PM
Gasquet has really changed.
He would have never said things like this few years ago.
That's a good sign i would say.

scoobs
04-05-2013, 10:55 PM
I have my doubts, Andy played some of his best tennis this season against Gasquet, but I like the confidence if nothing else.

yuri27
04-05-2013, 11:04 PM
I have my doubts, Andy played some of his best tennis this season against Gasquet, but I like the confidence if nothing else.

It's easier to shine against an injured player who can barely serve and have good length in his groundstokes.

scoobs
04-05-2013, 11:06 PM
It's easier to shine against an injured player who can barely serve and have good length in his groundstokes.

It's also easy to say you would have won a match you lost if only x, y, z.

Fact is, we'll never know.

But the attitude from him at least is right, showing some self-belief.