Consortium of Ecclestone, Tiriac, and Becker wanted to take over tennis a decade ago [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Consortium of Ecclestone, Tiriac, and Becker wanted to take over tennis a decade ago

August
03-29-2013, 01:05 PM
http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/view/446472/Ecclestone_nearly_became_big_boss_of_tennis/

F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone has revealed how close he came to being involved and changing forever the international game of tennis.

Sportsvibe reports that the Formula 1 chief executive led a consortium including legend Boris Becker and former player turned businessman Ion Tiriac that wanted to take over the game a decade ago.

Ecclestone, who said the trio came “very close” to running tennis, said the International Tennis Federation ultimately asked for “too much money”.

“I argued that the sport needed to be better geared towards television,” he said. ”We would have introduced one serve only per point and also a timed cut-off point to a match so that everyone knew, especially the TV companies, how long a match would last.”

“Another idea we had was to segment the match into two or three, timed parts of, say, 20 minutes each. I admit it was radical but the sport needed to do something, although it has improved a little since our talks,” he added.

Luckily that didn't happen, maximum duration of the match would've respected the traditions of tennis even less than surface homogenization.

Smoke944
03-29-2013, 01:09 PM
Haha. Thankfully that didn't happen. I'm sure they would have done a masterful job at totally destroying the sport.

blank_frackis
03-29-2013, 01:13 PM
It's amazing that this could have ever been a serious discussion given how hopelessly out of touch with reality those ideas are. If it was April 1st I'd assume it's a joke.

GSMnadal
03-29-2013, 01:17 PM
Ecclestone would've probably given Wimbledon to Abu Dhabi and made Roland Garros a night tournament in Singapore

Brit Tennis Fan
03-29-2013, 01:18 PM
I guess that the ITF asking for "too much money" was a polite way of saying fuck off you appalling little tosser.

Lopez
03-29-2013, 01:18 PM
Wow. I'm speechless. If true, tennis was very close to being destroyed. The new sport would've resembled tennis, but the changes would've been so radical that it wouldn't have been tennis at all.

Time Violation
03-29-2013, 01:32 PM
It's amazing that this could have ever been a serious discussion given how hopelessly out of touch with reality those ideas are. If it was April 1st I'd assume it's a joke.

Well, it is almost, so maybe really is a joke :)

Fed fordawin
03-29-2013, 01:54 PM
:eek::eek::eek:

That consortium must be the evilest thing I've ever heard of! :eek:
Why not associate Kim Jong-Un and Tio Toni? That would make a pentagram of the Superior Demons ruling this world!:devil:

TigerTim
03-29-2013, 02:07 PM
can't believe Becker was even involved in this, my estimation of him has gone down

Brit Tennis Fan
03-29-2013, 02:31 PM
can't believe Becker was even involved in this, my estimation of him has gone down

I wouldn't take what Ecclestone says at face value.

WinterIsComing
03-29-2013, 03:00 PM
Ecclestone would've probably given Wimbledon to Abu Dhabi and made Roland Garros a night tournament in Singapore

As a former parisian now living in Singapore, I find this idea rather interesting... though I bet he would have done it the other way around : Singapore is a typical British colony, they even play cricket! And I guess maintaining grass courts in Abu Dahbi would be even more challenging than having ski tracks in Dubai :haha:

Anyway, I agree it looks very much like a joke.

MichaelKrep
03-29-2013, 03:04 PM
Ecclestone, who said the trio came “very close” to ruining tennis, said the International Tennis Federation ultimately asked for “too much money”.
There, fixed that for him.

TBkeeper
03-29-2013, 03:11 PM
I'm totally sad and full of sorrow .....
A moment of silence for our brothers in the parallel universe :sad: :haha:

paseo
03-29-2013, 03:15 PM
I hope this is a joke.

Sombrerero loco
03-29-2013, 03:15 PM
tiriac is mad. happy that didnt happen...

VamosRafaNadal
03-29-2013, 03:26 PM
Tennis was close to be destroyed, thanks God it didn't happen.

DarkMarc
03-29-2013, 03:30 PM
Yea Im sure they "came really close" to running Tennis *rolleyes*

niff
03-29-2013, 03:31 PM
:scared:

DarkMarc
03-29-2013, 03:32 PM
It also amazes me that Becker spent so much time in the tennis world and has so little knowledge about what attracts fans...

HumbleTennisFan
03-29-2013, 03:41 PM
It also amazes me that Becker spent so much time in the tennis world and has so little knowledge about what attracts fans...

I think the changes were meant for televisions instead of fans.

seljanin
03-29-2013, 04:18 PM
Well, something that can be expected from those two nuthouse patients, but disappointed to hear that Becker was also involved. Thankfully, none of this happened.

3DGNumberOneFan
03-29-2013, 04:31 PM
Players would have boycotted and it would've fallen through regardless.

Chirag
03-29-2013, 05:10 PM
its so funny :haha:. Tennis was really close to being destroyed

Bernie you have already spoilt F1 , dont spoil tennis as well

hewitt2002
03-29-2013, 05:30 PM
It would have been interesting to know what the tour/calendar would have looked like had the Ecclestone/Tirac/Becker consortium got their way. Probably something similar to the F1 season with 12-15 equal events & a World Champion at end of season.

Dark Knight
03-29-2013, 05:37 PM
lol Tiriac would turned RG to a blue clay event. :D

Snowwy
03-29-2013, 05:46 PM
lol Tiriac would turned RG to a blue clay event. :D

It's funny, these guys try to change something and everyone is angry, while other guys try to keep things the same and everyone is angry. Really, it doesn't matter what happens, there will still be this group of complainers that will be angry.

emotion
03-29-2013, 05:56 PM
Could have been either great or terrible. Would have been faster for sure

The Prince
03-29-2013, 07:07 PM
Tennis is dying nowadays anyway. Probably would've been for the better if Ecclestone had put us out of our misery. :yeah:

Kyle_Johansen
03-29-2013, 07:11 PM
None of those changes that they had proposed would have been good for the game at all - not for TV or fans. If a match has a cut-of point like a basketball game, then all the drama would be gone.

scarecrows
03-29-2013, 07:34 PM
early april fools

SliceAce
03-29-2013, 07:40 PM
It's funny, these guys try to change something and everyone is angry, while other guys try to keep things the same and everyone is angry. Really, it doesn't matter what happens, there will still be this group of complainers that will be angry.

We're talking about making a time limit in tennis, a single serve, and fundamental changes in the rules of the game for the sake of advertising. Are you trolling? I really don't approve...

Kiedis
03-29-2013, 08:42 PM
It's true that tennis has a great problem with TVs and even with live spectators. You buy a expensive tickets and then you must have a completely clear schedule, because you never know when the show begin or how many time last. This is a big issue in terms of money and popularity.

Here there are to many teenagers who know nothing about to pay bills or schedule problems (tons of free time), they are only concerned about the virginal purity of sport, but Ecclestone, Tiriac & Co. are business men, like players too, and they know that popularity and about all financial issues of tennis lies not only in die hard teenagers fans. Maybe some of these rules could be tried in M1000 events. Grand Slams should remain the same though.

hewitt2002
03-29-2013, 09:46 PM
It's true that tennis has a great problem with TVs and even with live spectators. You buy a expensive tickets and then you must have a completely clear schedule, because you never know when the show begin or how many time last. This is a big issue in terms of money and popularity.

Here there are to many teenagers who know nothing about to pay bills or schedule problems (tons of free time), they are only concerned about the virginal purity of sport, but Ecclestone, Tiriac & Co. are business men, like players too, and they know that popularity and about all financial issues of tennis lies not only in die hard teenagers fans. Maybe some of these rules could be tried in M1000 events. Grand Slams should remain the same though.

I'm all for trying to grow the sport in terms of popularity and financially but the changes Ecclestone reportedly suggested are ridiculous and would have turned loyal fans away from the sport.

To improve popularity Tennis should look to change its structure of tournaments. Players play for 11 months of the year 15-20 events and yet the only tournaments that matter to their career and to the average fan are the 4 grand slams. Even the masters 1000 events mostly feel like warm ups for the majors and the tour finals just a reason for the players to earn a lot of money.

Timariot
03-30-2013, 12:00 AM

Ecclestone knows jack shit about anything. He came this close to ruining is own sport - F1 - by essentially fixing the races so that Schumacher & Ferrari would win.

Basically it's standard corporate bully mentality. You see something which makes money and think that with YOUR "good ideas" it would make even more money - then when it fails, it's because of fans, media, subordinates, everything else but NOT that your own ideas were terrible.

Hey, remember what happened when ATP tried to introduce Champions' Race in lieau of conventional rankings, which were "too confusing" for casual fans? Yeah, that went over well.

Ecclestone's being out of touch is particularly notable in his failure to realize that this kind of move may have worked in the '70s (well, not 'worked' but they might have pulled it off until other powers drive them off disgusted), but in Internet era, they would be quickly buried under so much crap they would quickly retreat. I mean, just look at this thread already.

Sebes
03-30-2013, 01:51 AM
Someone got the dates wrong, but this being April fools' is as certain as Nadal being injured/half-dead when losing.

SheepleBuster
03-30-2013, 04:41 AM
One serve per point and 10 second time limit per serve with first warning causing first serve to go ... oops. That'd be point penalty. But what the heck. I would take rackets away and let people play with their minds using computers. Heck. Why not make it all play using xbox. Rafa would still dominate I bet.

Kat_YYZ
03-30-2013, 06:00 AM

The biggest TV market for sports is the United States. And what do people watch there? NFL and NASCAR. A NASCAR broadcast is usually scheduled to last 5-6 hours (pre-show included), and it frequently runs over because of all the delays due to caution flags, rain, etc. NFL football: timed sport? sure, but it usually runs over the allotted time as well. So many clock stoppages in the last 2 minutes.

Same with basketball -- with all the stoppages for time-outs and fouls, the last 2 minutes usually last 10 minutes. Baseball, a sport with no clock and still doing well and getting plenty of TV coverage. (No live coverage of Murray/Gasquet today so they could broadcast a pre-season game :facepalm:)

People will whine and complain because that's what people do. But the truth is they will always make time for their favourite entertainment pastimes. And those "epic" long games that went into quadruple overtime are remembered fondly for decades. Even though the NHL brought the shootout into regular season games, the fans don't want it to decide playoff games.

Kiedis
03-30-2013, 09:31 AM
The biggest TV market for sports is the United States. And what do people watch there? NFL and NASCAR. A NASCAR broadcast is usually scheduled to last 5-6 hours (pre-show included), and it frequently runs over because of all the delays due to caution flags, rain, etc. NFL football: timed sport? sure, but it usually runs over the allotted time as well. So many clock stoppages in the last 2 minutes.

Same with basketball -- with all the stoppages for time-outs and fouls, the last 2 minutes usually last 10 minutes. Baseball, a sport with no clock and still doing well and getting plenty of TV coverage. (No live coverage of Murray/Gasquet today so they could broadcast a pre-season game :facepalm:)

People will whine and complain because that's what people do. But the truth is they will always make time for their favourite entertainment pastimes. And those "epic" long games that went into quadruple overtime are remembered fondly for decades. Even though the NHL brought the shootout into regular season games, the fans don't want it to decide playoff games.

At least TVs and audience knows the exact time and even the day when these games are going to begin and their approximate length. And those sports have commercial breaks so if last longer than normal TVs can make some cash too. I like tennis as is now, but simply is not an black and white issue as all of you pretend.

zebedee
03-30-2013, 09:34 AM
'Taking over' tennis would have required collectively taking over the ITF/ATP/WTA/ as well as the Grand Slams.

How on earth did Ecclestone come within a whisker of doing that?

Ecclestone is a mischievous character. I doubt this was anything that remotely approached a takeover.

Tiriac was probably trying to tap him up for one of his own half-brained schemes with Becker brought along as eye candy.

Chase Visa
03-31-2013, 05:20 AM
Oh god.

Anything that Tiriac put his name towards would've ended in tears.

Chase Visa
03-31-2013, 05:22 AM

Difference is these guys were trying to destroy the traditions of tennis. The changes we want are to keep the game like what it was 10 years or so ago.

GSMnadal
03-31-2013, 07:52 AM
Difference is these guys were trying to destroy the traditions of tennis. The changes we want are to keep the game like what it was 10 years or so ago.

What made 90's tennis so holy that people always want to revert to it? The way tennis was back then wasn't how it always was. The tennis they showed wasn't that exciting according to the majority.

Weird kind of nostalgia when you want to go back to a time that wasn't according to 'tennis traditions' either. They changed stuff for a reason. I bet in the beginning there were a lot of complaints about ditching wooden racquets as well. The game is moving on as it should.

The whole 'go back to the 90's' complaint is usually coming from posters that don't like the guys that are dominating right now and think this would change that. It certainly isn't about tradition.

Raiden
03-31-2013, 03:13 PM
Here's what I don't understand: why didn't Tiriac-Ecclestone go ahead and set up a "side project" anyway?

I'm sure ITF would have accepted the existence of another pro circuit (after all, once upon a time that was the situation until all the pro tours ended up merging).

zebedee
03-31-2013, 04:21 PM
The ITF are powerless to prevent Ecclestone and Tiriac or anybody else for that matter, setting up another professional tour. Or indeed for changing the rules of the game. Whether it works or not is another matter. Presumably they couldn't garner any support for their harebrained scheme.