Berdych : "I feel like season should end, but it is just one third now" [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Berdych : "I feel like season should end, but it is just one third now"

JurajCrane
03-29-2013, 12:34 PM
After his loss to Gasquet, Tomas talks about his feelings to Radiojournal (CZ) and about a fact, he is so tired he feel season should end right now.

"In match vs Gasquet I couldn't give more, I was totally exhausted after playing 7 weeks in a row. Conditions were different than in IW and it suited more to Richard, but that's why tennis is so attractive."

"Right now I am physically so down and it is more complicated that our DC team is heading into Kazakhstan, so things couldn't be tougher for me. So far I have had great 2013, but right now I feel season should end - but it's only in its first third."

Interesting words from Berdych, I can certainly see him skipping Monte-Carlo (Masters), he should really try to get some rest to prepare properly on clay season.

Maybe if courts were speed up, it wouldn't be so physically demanding for players to play several weeks back-to-back.

Time Violation
03-29-2013, 12:41 PM
Gasquet played almost the same number of matches, and I don't see him complaining here.

Ash86
03-29-2013, 12:42 PM
Well it was his choice to play 7 weeks in a row. Who told him to play Marseille and Dubai before IW and Miami? He knew DC was coming up too... It's nothing to do with speed of courts - Dubai is pretty fast and Marseille was indoors. He's overplayed this year and probably should skip Monte Carlo to recharge given that he has a final to defend in Madrid. Rotterdam, then a week off, then Dubai would have made more sense, if anything.

Burrow
03-29-2013, 12:43 PM
I guessed it had to happen, but actually Berdych committed to Monte-Carlo and Barcelona !

And they are ATP500 tournaments or equivalent and it's not easy to withdraw without a penalty if you're not injured.

I really wondered what he had in mind when committing to both of those :rolleyes:

And he also committed to the Queens by the way ...

He fought great against Falla and Gimeno-Traver, showing great effects of the work with his mental coach, but it also clearly tired him.

Not sure what you mean by this.

Berdych seems like one of the least driven players on tour, satisfied with trailing behind the top 4. I think this kind of attitude that he has shown recently is frustrating. He has little belief.

Henry Chinaski
03-29-2013, 12:45 PM
He shouldn't have played Marseilles and Dubai back to back before Indian Wells.

Stupid scheduling considering he was still playing tennis in December and committed to DC again after the Australian Open. (A good argument for finalists having R1 byes the following year)

TigerTim
03-29-2013, 12:45 PM
Should have done a Murray ie, no play between Aussie Open and Indian Wells

pierricbross
03-29-2013, 12:53 PM
Is Berdych counting 2 days of Davis Cup play as a two weeks or what?

Berdych and unfounded whinging is not uncommon unfortunately. :facepalm:

RIboy
03-29-2013, 01:01 PM
got a juicy appearance fees in Marseille and Dubai so he should cut the crap and be quiet...money can't be the first thing when you're making the schedule

Federer in 2
03-29-2013, 01:01 PM
Sounds like Del Potro.

pierricbross
03-29-2013, 01:04 PM
that is OK imo because Davis cup indeed implies a lot of efforts with the doubles, changing surface ... but counting the first week of Indian Wells and Miami is much more debatable ;)

Good point, play doesn't start till thursday in both those tournaments hey?

VamosRafaNadal
03-29-2013, 01:05 PM
His declarations are reasonable as he has been playing too much consecutive weeks. Maybe he won't go to Montercarlo.

I hope to see him in Barcelona, please Berdych don't withdraw from Barcelona OpenBanc Sabadell pleaseeeeeee

pierricbross
03-29-2013, 01:09 PM
Berdych started on saturday both times

:haha:

This Berdych fella.

Thunderfish8
03-29-2013, 01:19 PM
Well Berdych didn't have to Dubai and Marseille... especially the latter.

If he's so tired, he should just do what so many other top players do and rest between the Aussie Open and IW. The fact that he's complaining about being tired is ridiculous given he's played two non-mandatory tournaments.

Moozza
03-29-2013, 01:23 PM
Murray done it the right way. He's fresh right now and will be peaking for RG and Wimbledon.

August
03-29-2013, 01:23 PM
Maybe if courts were speed up, it wouldn't be so physically demanding for players to play several weeks back-to-back.

Tennis has become more physical than ever. In 1990s, Kafelnikov was able to win both singles and doubles at RG, nowadays no serious GS title contender plays doubles in order to get rest. That's a proof of tennis becoming more physical. Longer matches mean you need more rest, and that's why players complain about how long the season is despite that it's just as long as it's always been.

Newcomer
03-29-2013, 01:47 PM
Berdych is sensationally consistent this year, but yes, he looked tired at Miami. Matches against players with good movement like falla and gasquet, were too tough for him.
He must to skip one of clay MS. If conditions at RG will be like in 2010 he really can be a contender for even final.
GL Tomas.

Newcomer
03-29-2013, 01:49 PM
Murray done it the right way. He's fresh right now and will be peaking for RG and Wimbledon.

even ramirez-hidalgo has better chances to win RG than CLAYRRUY.

BroTree123
03-29-2013, 01:51 PM
Don't think he's made like 3 SF's in a row, let alone 2 consecutive finals. Including his three set escapes this week, he's played heaps of tennis in such a short space of time. So it's quite normal for a big guy like Berdych to feel pretty burnt out right about now.

FlameOn
03-29-2013, 01:51 PM
Everyone overreacting as normal :p. Tomas probably was tired after this three-set marathons this week. He's a big guy and has a lot of mass to drag around. A bit of rest and he'll be fine :cheerleader:.

ProdigyEng
03-29-2013, 01:54 PM
Sounds like Del Potro.

:facepalm:

Nole fan
03-29-2013, 01:55 PM
I feel for Berdych, we don't know how grueling the season is on the players. Let's not judge without being there please. It's a very tough sport and very demanding.

Topspindoctor
03-29-2013, 01:56 PM
Time for Birdshit to acquire the magic egg.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App (http://www.verticalsports.com/mobile)

Orka_n
03-29-2013, 01:59 PM
Take some time off, Tomas.

Litotes
03-29-2013, 02:03 PM
Tennis has become more physical than ever. In 1990s, Kafelnikov was able to win both singles and doubles at RG, nowadays no serious GS title contender plays doubles in order to get rest. That's a proof of tennis becoming more physical. Longer matches mean you need more rest, and that's why players complain about how long the season is despite that it's just as long as it's always been.

I remember being a little annoyed that Kafelnikov lost a TB against Krajicek in that (singles) tournament. He didn't lose any set in doubles and could have been historic as the first man to win both titles without losing a set. I didn't realize then he'd be historic for this win anyway.

blank_frackis
03-29-2013, 02:04 PM
To be fair it's not like those quotes are him saying the calendar should be changed or that he's on the verge of death, it's just the words of a tired man who realises he now has to go on a flight to Kazakhstan.

August
03-29-2013, 02:11 PM
Time for Birdshit to acquire the magic egg.

Finally a sensible post from TSD.

Hewitt =Legend
03-29-2013, 02:40 PM
It's his own fault. Like others have said, he didn't have to play Marseille and Dubai but he raked in some moolah... And he wouldn't have said this if he had beaten Gasquet....

Johnny Groove
03-29-2013, 03:12 PM
7 weeks in a row :rolleyes:

He's played 18 matches in 37 days. That is not SO tough of a workload, honestly, and he has only himself to blame. Why play Marseille 250?

Looner
03-29-2013, 03:19 PM
If he plays 3 3/5 matches in 3 days, that's more exhausting than week 1 of a slam. It was stupid to schedule 7 weeks in a row.

Sombrerero loco
03-29-2013, 04:11 PM
:facepalm: and he seems to be physically strong...

DarkMarc
03-29-2013, 05:09 PM
Right then, lets listen to this moron and shorten the season from 10 months to 3 months!

Orka_n
03-29-2013, 05:12 PM
7 weeks in a row :rolleyes:

He's played 18 matches in 37 days. That is not SO tough of a workload, honestly, and he has only himself to blame. Why play Marseille 250?Err actually that is a very tough workload. Playing matches on avarage every 0,5 days, that's a lot to ask. And add practice hours and travels to that.

But yes, it is his own fault.

Lugburz
03-29-2013, 05:16 PM
This doesn't sound right to me, and I like him.

fedalrock
03-29-2013, 05:23 PM
Berdych should really manage his schedule properly..there was no need for him to play Marseille
Hope this doesnt affect his newly found consistency in tournaments.

Should really improve his stamina and try to finish matches off early instead of going the distance with players like Falla.

VamosRafaNadal
03-29-2013, 05:27 PM
Tomas Berdych withdraws from Davis Cup QF. From his Facebook:

Přátele, bohužel nevydrželo rameno a lékaři mě dali stopku na naše další utkání v Davis cupu...věřím, že kluci to dají a nebude to vážné... Držte palce a díky!!!/ Dear friends, shoulder said STOP to me and I cannot play Davis cup next week...I hope boys can do it without me...T

MuzzahLovah
03-29-2013, 05:35 PM
If he's not going to bail out of every other tournament with a random loss, he's going to have to schedule more lightly. It's a good problem to have. The top guys(- Ferrer) have to do it.

If he is going to separate himself from Del Po and Tsonga, and have more consistant results, he'll account for reaching the quarterfinals or better of every tourney he enters.

Mark Lenders
03-29-2013, 05:39 PM
It's understandable. After a very long 2012, at the end of which he looked exhausted too, his 2013 has been:

AO - QF

Marseille - F

Dubai - F

Indian Wells - SF

Miami - QF

That's a lot of deep runs right there, no wonder he's feeling tired and needs a rest. Hope he's back stronger for the clay season, he did well there last year, why not do even better this year?

Roy Emerson
03-29-2013, 05:45 PM
Bad scheduling.

Topspindoctor
03-29-2013, 05:46 PM
It's understandable. After a very long 2012, at the end of which he looked exhausted too, his 2013 has been:

AO - QF

Marseille - F

Dubai - F

Indian Wells - SF

Miami - QF

That's a lot of deep runs right there, no wonder he's feeling tired and needs a rest. Hope he's back stronger for the clay season, he did well there last year, why not do even better this year?

Because he stands zero chance against Nadal. His only hope to do better it to avoid Nadal to suffer the inevitable loss in F rather than SF like last year.

Tiebreak100
03-29-2013, 05:59 PM
Reading between the lines he is attempting to pull out the Davis Cup. Surprisingly he does not fancy Kazakhstan, cant think why.... I have a sneaky suspicion that his girlfriend who appears to follow him everywhere may give this trip a miss.....cant think why.

Snowwy
03-29-2013, 06:45 PM
I think that we tend to forget how difficult it is to be a professional tennis player.

Noleta
03-29-2013, 08:04 PM
Maybe he should skip both DC and MC,recharge the batteries.

Matt01
03-29-2013, 08:08 PM
Right then, lets listen to this moron and shorten the season from 10 months to 3 months!

He didn't ask for a shorter season so no need to call him a moron! :rolleyes:

Kyle_Johansen
03-29-2013, 08:08 PM
He made the schedule, it isn't the tour. He's a top player in the game so it's normal and expected that he go deep in every tournament he plays, thus playing more matches and more taxing tournaments than a guy who goes out R1 in each event.

SliceAce
03-29-2013, 09:09 PM
Whatever Nadull thinks, Berdych parrots. He made his own schedule, if he really thought this instead of just joining the "calendar is too long, get a 2 year ranking system, give us more time in between points" vamos brigade his whole team would take care of it, and surely he wouldn't whine about it to the media. I don't know what Federer did to piss him off so much and Nadull did to earn his love, maybe Fed snubbed him on Valentine's day and Nadull was there. Whatever it is, Berdsh*t has become an embarrassment to himself.

Mr. Oracle
03-29-2013, 09:18 PM
He made the schedule, it isn't the tour. He's a top player in the game so it's normal and expected that he go deep in every tournament he plays, thus playing more matches and more taxing tournaments than a guy who goes out R1 in each event.

It may be that T.B expends a lot of his energy on the tour going after non slam events. It's becoming increasingly obvious that the top players are treating most of the tour as warm up events with the withdrawals and tankjobs. I think that he senses that the top players have an iron-grip on the slams and that he needs to go deep in the other tourneys (his supermodel girlfriend is no doubt expensive to maintain), and invests too much physical and emotional resources into them. He's a veteran who's been on the tour for a while, and while not old and still in his prime, should know how to pace himself.

Regarding the inevitable argument that the courts need to be sped up to reduce fatigue, I propose that the mandatory requirement be ended. I think it's a more sensible approach than the knee-jerk urge to speed up the courts (we've been there). Lesser ranked players would end up competing for more titles (ie miami: no fed or rafa), and top players would not be running out of steam, or risk getting injured throughout the year. I for one am willing to sacrifice some of my fav players skipping the Canadian Open, even though Toronto/Montreal should be the fifth slam. :lol:

hvo
03-29-2013, 09:58 PM
Is it ironic that Nole and Andy, the 2 youngest (kind of) and fittest players out of top 10 will play the least tournaments (19) compared to the rest. Real vultures like Ferrer and Tsongga play 26 and TB plays 24.

SerialKillerToBe
03-29-2013, 10:28 PM
This little whiner should focus more on making grand slam semis instead of trying to vulture MM tournaments

Beesley
03-29-2013, 10:42 PM
I feel the same.

B-Nard
03-29-2013, 10:52 PM
Professional tennis is inarguably of the most physically demanding sports in the world. The calendar is extremely taxing and exacting on the body. The key is to pace yourself accordingly and schedule wisely. Every tennis player knows this. Next year, Berdych, take some notes off Djokovic, Murray or Federer.

Action Jackson
03-29-2013, 11:13 PM
Well yes the season is too long, but even Berdych has control of his own schedule. At the end of last year he played 6 out of 7 weeks.

Certinfy
03-29-2013, 11:22 PM
Take some time off after Davis Cup, Tomas. :hug:

Ranking isn't important, should easily remain in the top 8 with missing a few months.

DarkMarc
03-29-2013, 11:31 PM
He didn't ask for a shorter season so no need to call him a moron! :rolleyes:

Correct, since everyone is whinging about the length of the season these days I automatically read in to it. I take the moron back :-)

Li Ching Yuen
03-29-2013, 11:31 PM
Tiredness is one thing, but I hearsay from Czech media that he's having some more serious shoulder problems that he hopes are only due to playing too much. This was more of the concern he's having.

I believe it's the same thing that niggled him last year around Cincinnati or something.

tennisfan856
03-30-2013, 12:21 AM
Something is wrong with him if he's on the tour for a decade, and still can't schedule wisely. If he keeps this up, he'll be a perfect candidate for pre-30 retirement.

BackhandDTL
03-30-2013, 02:08 AM
I'm sure it doesn't help that he's one of the people affected worse by the slow state of the courts. Berdych routinely averages more firepower than most players, but gets virtually no reward for it on surfaces like these. I'd be pissed too.

Kat_YYZ
03-30-2013, 02:24 AM
Everyone overreacting as normal :p. Tomas probably was tired after this three-set marathons this week. He's a big guy and has a lot of mass to drag around. A bit of rest and he'll be fine :cheerleader:.

To be fair it's not like those quotes are him saying the calendar should be changed or that he's on the verge of death, it's just the words of a tired man who realises he now has to go on a flight to Kazakhstan.

I dislike Berdych and think he's a whiner... but I agree with these quotes. :eek:
It does seem like just a comment by a guy feeling tired that day; in a few days his energy levels might go up and he wouldn't say that in an interview. :shrug: Really unless he says something specific about it being the ATP's fault, I think this statement is nothing special by itself.

dencod16
03-30-2013, 09:19 AM
Berydch will be skipping DC tie, without Stepanek, he is like a 1 man Davis Cup team.

Is Berdych counting 2 days of Davis Cup play as a two weeks or what?

Berdych and unfounded whinging is not uncommon unfortunately. :facepalm:

24-22 tie in doubles?

born_on_clay
03-30-2013, 09:27 AM
He played to much lately :shrug:

Punky
03-30-2013, 09:48 AM
This season is so weird, birdy is right I feel like it's August and not march, all the players look tired and far from their 2012 form.
Until now the season is pretty boring IMHO so I hope we will have an interesting clay season not nadal clay season like last year.

About birdy, he is also out if shape if he talks like that, there are a lot if players who are tired but not at his level

FlameOn
03-30-2013, 10:12 AM
Yay he withdrew from DC (shoulder injury).

Deathless Mortal
03-30-2013, 11:31 AM
What a sportsman, can't even take 3 months of tennis. :lol:

pierricbross
03-30-2013, 11:47 AM
Seriously he's played 2 weeks of the last 4; Less than 2 weeks considering he didn't make the finals at either tournament. He's complaining about one of 1. Over-training 2. Not enough conditioning 3. Injuries (maybe all three). He is not complaining about season-length/scheduling because he has zero argument/whinging if he is.

Ben D.
03-30-2013, 05:17 PM
he's not a top 4, and he must remains in top 8. There is always the guys behind pushing to enter the elite. Gasquet is really close to top 8, and not surprinsingly, Tsonga has a mad schedule, most probably to prevent him or Tipsarevic from taking him out. Obviously, for the top 15 guys, every tourny matters a lot, because they're not winning them most of the time and every SF or final is already an achievement.

IsDonsIsGood
03-30-2013, 05:20 PM
Finally I agree with Berdych. I feel his season should end also.

Ben D.
03-30-2013, 05:51 PM
Berdych has no other choice but to compete every weeks to keep his ranking. Look, clay season will probably end like this :

MC: W: Nadal F: Djokovic SF: Murray - ???
Barcelona : W: Nadal F: Ferrer SF: ??? - ???
Madrid : W: Nadal F: Djokovic SF: Federer - ???
Rome: W: Nadal F: Djokovic SF: ??? - ???
RG : W: Nadal F: Djokovic SF: Federer - ???

As you can see, there are very few ??? spots left. Every other guy will compete for these spots, and only for them. Some guys will lose a lot of points, and very few will win some.
Every time a non-top 5 makes a SF in these big tournies, he is almost guaranteed to to win a ranking spot, because the points are so scarce for them.

Matt01
03-31-2013, 11:48 PM
Berdych has no other choice but to compete every weeks to keep his ranking.

I don't believe this. He doesn't need to play somany small tournaments because only a few of them count for his ranking anyway. He should skip some of them and concentrate and be fresh for the big tournaments lime the TMS ad Slams. That|s where he can the most points.

Look, clay season will probably end like this :

MC: W: Nadal F: Djokovic SF: Murray - ???
Barcelona : W: Nadal F: Ferrer SF: ??? - ???
Madrid : W: Nadal F: Djokovic SF: Federer - ???
Rome: W: Nadal F: Djokovic SF: ??? - ???
RG : W: Nadal F: Djokovic SF: Federer - ???

As you can see, there are very few ??? spots left. Every other guy will compete for these spots, and only for them. Some guys will lose a lot of points, and very few will win some.
Every time a non-top 5 makes a SF in these big tournies, he is almost guaranteed to to win a ranking spot, because the points are so scarce for them.

There|s no waz to know all this. We don|t know how the draws end up with (e.g. Nadal could be in Djokovic|s quarter at RG).

Nole fan
04-01-2013, 01:32 AM
And Novak could win some of those. :p

Tag
04-01-2013, 01:33 AM
swiss is crying on vacation

berdych's life has no meaning at the moment :shrug:

ImmzB
04-01-2013, 02:59 PM
Maybe he should return in Madrid, if he's feeling really tired. He's already pulled out of the Davis Cup so he will get 2 weeks break until Monte Carlo starts but is that enough?

He's defending points in Monte Carlo, so he would not want to skip that. I have seen he's already committed himself to play in Nice, a week before Roland Garros! Really, does he need that? Or will he withdraw from Monte Carlo or Barcelona so he can get that extra tournament before Roland Garros?

se7en
04-01-2013, 03:03 PM
His career should end, that's what should happen. Useless choking buttpicker minion

abraxas21
04-01-2013, 03:34 PM
Finally I agree with Berdych. I feel his season should end also.

+1

Dougie
04-01-2013, 03:50 PM
Berdych committed to play Nice the week after Madrid and Roma and before Roland-Garros : http://www.opennicecotedazur.com/infos-jour-2013-206.html

his schedule in next weeks : 2 weeks off thanks to skipping Davis cup, then MonteCarlo then Barcelona, then one week off, then 6 weeks in a row : Madrid-Roma-Nice-RolandGarros-Queens !!

he's not a top 4, and he must remains in top 8. There is always the guys behind pushing to enter the elite. Gasquet is really close to top 8, and not surprinsingly, Tsonga has a mad schedule, most probably to prevent him or Tipsarevic from taking him out. Obviously, for the top 15 guys, every tourny matters a lot, because they're not winning them most of the time and every SF or final is already an achievement.

It´s pretty difficult to feel sorry for a top ten player like Berdych, if he really committs to a stupid schedule like this. I understand he feels he needs to get points, but he´s played long enough to know how much his body can take. Marseille and Dubai right before IW and Miami is as stupid as it gets. And Nice, nobody who hopes to go deep at RG should ever play that tournament, ever. Almagro probably does, but that´s another story. Two back-to-back Masters events, a 250 and a GS in a month? On clay? If he is tired now, he will be half-dead after all that running he´s going to be doing in may...

Tomáš Berdych
04-01-2013, 07:58 PM
His career should end, that's what should happen. Useless choking buttpicker minion

:drink: So hostile, grab a beer. The season has ended.

Certinfy
04-01-2013, 08:16 PM
His clay court schedule is ridiculous. He could practically miss every event until the US Open and still be ranked inside the top 8, don't see why he's overplaying at all.

Mountaindewslave
04-01-2013, 10:02 PM
Berdych does not have that great clay court game anyway, he should cut down the schedule and focus on what tournaments he might have chances at. only way he could make it through a clay draw would be if he was incredibly fresh, which he will be anything but with this schedule. will go out early at Roland Garros unless adjusts

Mateya
04-01-2013, 10:54 PM
It just shows you how tough tennis is thesedays.
But it needs to be said that it's Berdych's fault as well, he needs to plan his season a little wiser. :shrug: Skip some small tournaments and let vultures to take them.

:drink: So hostile, grab a beer. The season has ended.

Nice to meet you, Tomaš :D
But you really shouldn't drink that champagne from a bottle.

Ziggy B
04-02-2013, 12:23 AM
Over-scheduled IMO, but he's been consistently solid this year so the constant play might be helping his game. His freshness less so

Kyle_Johansen
04-02-2013, 02:01 AM
I find way too many guys screw up their years because of bad scheduling. Isner comes to mind and that's why he sucks at Slams, but even guys like Rafa have overscheduled in years gone by.

Tiebreak100
04-02-2013, 02:18 AM
Berdych should remove the majority of small events from his calendar. I consider him alongside Del Potro as a genuine threat to the top guys when is on top form, so he should behave in such a way. Remove the safety of net of probable points at the smaller events and heap pressure on himself to deliver on the big stage; Slams and Masters.

It might prove effective.