WWW Miami Masters SF: Andy Murray vs Richard Gasquet [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

WWW Miami Masters SF: Andy Murray vs Richard Gasquet

TigerTim
03-29-2013, 12:31 AM
Semi Final time

Mentalmidget
03-29-2013, 12:33 AM
Murray because Gasquet will choke, everybody knows it.

Murray will just do enough to let Gasquet give him the match.

Certinfy
Will Murray make 30+ unforced errors in 2 sets? No.

Murray in straights.

Brick Top
No competition for Andy. Murray in 2

Johnny Groove
03-29-2013, 12:34 AM
Come on Richie. We need a sexy Haas-Gasquet final with epic one handed backhands.

No one wants to see a Murray-Ferrer snoozefest.

yuri27
03-29-2013, 12:34 AM
If Gasquet's ROS is at the same poor level against Murray then Murray in two quick sets.

Moozza
03-29-2013, 12:35 AM
I'm hoping Andy wins this one and I think he will...in straights.

Chris Kuerten
03-29-2013, 12:37 AM
Easy for Murray, two sets.

hallso
03-29-2013, 12:38 AM
3-0 for Gasquet in masters, don't see reason to change that path

yuri27
03-29-2013, 12:39 AM
This match up has often resulted in awesome matches but that was before Murray improved his FH and that Gasquet definitely adopted a pushing style.

Certinfy
03-29-2013, 12:39 AM
Murray has strangely never beaten Gasquet on hard. :lol:

yuri27
03-29-2013, 12:40 AM
3-0 for Gasquet in masters, don't see reason to change that path

My god, the worst is that you're right!!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::lol::lol::lol:

Kowchi
03-29-2013, 12:40 AM
Murray is going to make all his fans cringe, if he pulls off one of his Mental breakdowns, then going on to win 6-3 4-6 7-6 (7-5).

If Gasquet is on. This may happen.

Or maybe we will get Attackray, Netray, and finish this off in 1hour 30 minutes. 6-4 6-3.

Ill go with option B. This is Murray's match to lose.

janko05
03-29-2013, 12:41 AM
I'm hoping Andy wins this one and I think he will...in straights.

It took you a while though
Anyway, hope it would be competitive

yuri27
03-29-2013, 12:41 AM
Murray has strangely never beaten Gasquet on hard. :lol:

That makes it even more hilarious!
Had it been on clay or even grass,ok but on hard which is Murray's best surface and Gasquet's worst surface.

BroTree123
03-29-2013, 12:42 AM
Gasquet in 3.

MuzzahLovah
03-29-2013, 12:43 AM
Ugh, I'll be at work during this match. Time for Murray to step up! Gasquet will be tough in this form.

afterglows
03-29-2013, 12:43 AM
This is BO3 so Richie should win, right? :unsure:

Anyway, Richard if you lose this match just don't do it from 1 set and a break up please.

scoobs
03-29-2013, 12:44 AM
Voting for Murray but he's never beaten Richie over best of 3 - his 4 wins were all at the slams.

Newcomer
03-29-2013, 12:44 AM
OMG, Murray please to save tennis.:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:
Ferrer - Gasquet final will be the benefit of this STRONGEST ERA of tennis...

Cereal Killer
03-29-2013, 12:46 AM
Voting for Murray but he's never beaten Richie over best of 3 - his 4 wins were all at the slams.

Yes and even in two of those he was 0-2 down, before winning in 5.

yuri27
03-29-2013, 12:48 AM
It's a shame Gasquet didn't manage to improve enough his weak points (fitness and FH) as i think this match up beetween him and Murray could have been by far one of the most interesting ones of this generation (far more interesting than Murray-Djoker for example).

Moozza
03-29-2013, 12:49 AM
Andy maybe doesn't have a great record against Gasquet in masters but how many of those matches were semi-finals?

Murray will clutch this one out.

Newcomer
03-29-2013, 12:49 AM
It's a shame Gasquet didn't manage to improve enough his weak points (fitness and FH) as i think this match up beetween him and Murray could have been by far one of the most interesting ones of this generation (far more interesting than Murray-Djoker for example).

:facepalm:

scoobs
03-29-2013, 12:50 AM
Yes and even in two of those he was 0-2 down, before winning in 5.

Yep - I can definitely see Richie winning this if he gets out to a fast start and Murray has his usual sluggish beginning. The danger would be the risk of losing from a winning position - as you say, he has form for that, albeit over best of 5

ProdigyEng
Murray in 2.

Didn't want this match. They might need to extend the run back area beyond the baseline, so each guys pushing game is accounted for.

Tiebreak100
The Frenchman to get an early break in the first before losing the set. As a result, he will blow a gasquet and Murray will stroll the second.

hallso
03-29-2013, 12:51 AM
hopefully brain won't interfere with talent, Haas-Gasquet final would be good day for tennis

Brit Tennis Fan
That makes it even more hilarious!
Had it been on clay or even grass,ok but on hard which is Murray's best surface and Gasquet's worst surface.

Yes but lets put it in context. They have only met on hard court twice and both encounters were over 5 years ago.

yuri27
Andy maybe doesn't have a great record against Gasquet in masters but how many of those matches were semi-finals?

Murray will clutch this one out.

One was a 1/2 final (in 2006, when Gasquet was on fire).

Topspindoctor
03-29-2013, 12:52 AM
It's too much to expect that a clown like Gascoke can actually win even a set against Mandy.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App (http://www.verticalsports.com/mobile)

yuri27
03-29-2013, 12:52 AM
Yes but lets put it in context. They have only met on hard court twice and both encounters were over 5 years ago.

Yeah but remember their matches at Wimbledon 2008 (one of the best matches i've ever seen) or FO 2010.

Sapeod
03-29-2013, 12:53 AM
Andy wins this. Gasquet is pretty much his bitch nowadays. Might be a 3-setter, depending on how Andy plays.

Mentalmidget
03-29-2013, 12:54 AM
It's too much to expect that a clown like Gascoke can actually win even a set against Mandy.

You can't rule out Gasquet dominating and coming to the brink of victory before giving it away.

Tiebreak100
03-29-2013, 12:55 AM
One was a 1/2 final (in 2006, when Gasquet was on fire).

Clutching at straws mate, this result is a formality. Andy is resting up for the final and sending Kim out to do the honours in routine fashion.

Brit Tennis Fan
03-29-2013, 01:03 AM
Yeah but remember their matches at Wimbledon 2008 (one of the best matches i've ever seen) or FO 2010.

Remember it? It is one of my all time favourite matches

It was also probably where Andy came of age and made the breakthrough into being a top player. He went on to win his first Masters Series titles (Cinci and Madrid) later that year, reached his first slam final and broke into the top 4 (he was 11 prior to Wimbledon). Had he lost that match I don't think he would have achieved so much so quickly in the months that followed it.

duong
03-29-2013, 01:10 AM
Murray is of course the favorite but he doesn't look very good in this tournament imo, and Gasquet clearly has a chance as he actually likes to play Murray.

At the moment, the one who makes the least amount of unforced errors is clearly Gasquet and it counts on this slow surface ;)

Gasquet will need to serve well as he has done in recent matches.

Certinfy
03-29-2013, 01:13 AM

It was also probably where Andy came of age and made the breakthrough into being a top player. He went on to win his first Masters Series titles (Cinci and Madrid) later that year, reached his first slam final and broke into the top 4 (he was 11 prior to Wimbledon). Had he lost that match I don't think he would have achieved so much so quickly in the months that followed it.
Agreed with all your points. Definitely one of my favourite matches too, that really is what tennis is all about.

Moozza
03-29-2013, 01:15 AM

It is the earliest Murray match I remember watching. That shot where he ended up in the crowd in the 3rd set tie-break set point was epic.

duong
03-29-2013, 01:19 AM

it seems that the Wimbledon match is more remembered than the FO one but actually the French Open one was the one where Gasquet displayed the most insane demonstration of one-handed backhands I've ever seen in the first sets (together with his win against Roddick in Wimbledon) he could hit them from any position it was even funny :lol:

But Gasquet had just won Nice against Verdasco and Murray managed to win the third set and ran Gasquet out of gas.

Chase Visa
03-29-2013, 01:41 AM
Murray in 2.

It's interesting though that Murray has never beaten Gasquet outside of Grand Slams, and only one of his wins was particularly routine. So it could be close.

BackhandDTL
03-29-2013, 01:49 AM
It is the earliest Murray match I remember watching. That shot where he ended up in the crowd in the 3rd set tie-break set point was epic.

Your earliest exposure to Murray was '08? You just explained a lot.

Moozza
03-29-2013, 02:31 AM

No. That's not what I said.

rocketassist
03-29-2013, 02:33 AM
Muzza ought to do the business here, although Gasquet has bothered him in BO3 where there's less pressure and also less of a fitness factor.

Lugburz
03-29-2013, 02:35 AM
Allleeeezz

Mountaindewslave
03-29-2013, 02:43 AM
This match up has often resulted in awesome matches but that was before Murray improved his FH and that Gasquet definitely adopted a pushing style.

Gasquet has not really been pushing lately nor have I ever seen him 'push' that much
he hits a lot of aggressive backhands, throws in dropshots here and there, isn't afraid to try to go to net

I put Gasquet in 2 because what the hell, haven't felt like Murray
's in that good form or that confident

note : it is not to say that Gasquet has been particularly aggressive in the last few seasons, but it is often mistaken, any player not ballbashing being labeled a 'pusher'
Gasquet is far from one

BackhandDTL
03-29-2013, 02:44 AM
No. That's not what I said.

You might as well have. Unless you'd like to explain how your statement could have meant anything other than the fact that you took to Murray after he broke through.

For the record, I'm not trying to insult you. Imo, people just tend to have a better perspective of a player when they've watched them struggle.

Mountaindewslave
03-29-2013, 02:45 AM

how old are you? you started watching Murray in 2008? :facepalm:

cutesteve22
03-29-2013, 02:58 AM
Richard in easy 2.

PorkBarrel
03-29-2013, 03:03 AM
Strong possibility of another nervous/uncertain start from Andy, and Gasquet's playing well enough to take advantage.

Muzza in 3.

Pratik
03-29-2013, 04:17 AM
Richie in 3 :rocker2:

mooncreek
03-29-2013, 04:49 AM
What a bizarre H2H. Gasquet has won all the best-of-3 matches (including all their previous HC matches), Murray has won all the best-of-5 (including two clay matches).

I think I'll stick with the trends and pick Gasquet in 3 but wow does it feel weird to pick that.

3DGNumberOneFan
03-29-2013, 05:07 AM
No competition. Murray in 2

MuzzahLovah
03-29-2013, 05:08 AM
You might as well have. Unless you'd like to explain how your statement could have meant anything other than the fact that you took to Murray after he broke through.

For the record, I'm not trying to insult you. Imo, people just tend to have a better perspective of a player when they've watched them struggle.

:confused:

Murray's struggled plenty since 2008, in fact, he just won the Laureaus breakthough award for last year :haha:

I can tell you being a fan of Murray never has been easy, and I only joined this board 2 or 3 years ago.

PorkBarrel
03-29-2013, 05:24 AM

:crazy:

You're putting words in his mouth, I feel.

Murray's struggled plenty since 2008, in fact, he just won the Laureaus breakthough award for last year :haha:

I can tell you being a fan of Murray never has been easy, and I only joined this board 2 or 3 years ago.
Let's be honest, he's easier than most. Even more so now he has joined the slam ranks.

It would be far harder to be a fan of someone who has undoubted potential but is too much of a headcase/sicknote to fulfil it.

Federer in 2
03-29-2013, 06:30 AM
Gasquet, if you can take Murray out here, I will love you forever.

Yolita
03-29-2013, 06:40 AM
I saw the two Qfs today and the Cilic-Murray one was absolutely terrible. Full of errors, boring rallies, dreadful match.

By contrast, the Berdych-Gasquet QF was fun to watch, Gasquet was on fire with his back-hand and playing really creative tennis.

If they both play like today, Gasquet will take out Murray tomorrow.

I would so much love a Haas-Gasquet final. That would be pretty, intelligent, varied tennis.

C'mon boys, make it happen!

Sanya
03-29-2013, 07:36 AM
Gasquet in 3. Though if Ferrer is going to win the first semi the final against him for Richie... :facepalm: Haas better takes 1st match.

leng jai
03-29-2013, 07:40 AM
Worst thing would be Haas grinding an epic three set win against Pics and then getting smoked by Gasquet because he's cooked.

Allez
03-29-2013, 07:45 AM
Murray's variety is always enough to throw Gasquet off his game. I expect an explosive start from the French star but Murray will reel him in and win in 3 as usual.

Sri
03-29-2013, 07:54 AM
The original baby Fed in 2.

Topspindoctor
03-29-2013, 08:15 AM
Worst thing would be Haas grinding an epic three set win against Pics and then getting smoked by Gasquet because he's cooked.

I thought an aggressive player and tactical genius like Haas could beat anyone by shortening points and using his variety? Should be no problem to beat a mug like Ferrer after he routined Djoker :shrug:

leng jai
03-29-2013, 08:17 AM
I thought an aggressive player and tactical genius like Haas could beat anyone by shortening points and using his variety? Should be no problem to beat a mug like Ferrer after he routined Djoker :shrug:

He'll be showing how versatile he is by out grinding the biggest grinder on tour :cool:

Topspindoctor
03-29-2013, 08:32 AM
He'll be showing how versatile he is by out grinding the biggest grinder on tour :cool:

:secret: he is not playing against Mugray yet

Andi-M
03-29-2013, 09:17 AM
If Gasquet plays 'Allez' tennis its possible in a BO3. I do wonder how Andy will play this one tactically attack-minded, defensively? Whatever he does he cant spend 90 mins warming up as match may be done by then!

Dark Knight
03-29-2013, 09:25 AM
Gasquet in 2 if he doesn't choke. Else Murray in 3.

Marcoo
03-29-2013, 09:32 AM
Murray is gonna take it in 2 sets. Richard will fight and try his best, but Murray will show his great tennis and finish it in two :)

BackhandDTL
03-29-2013, 09:35 AM

:rolleyes: Not relative to his early years. Hell, not even relative to 98% of the field.

Even with his 2012 aside, I don't think I need to explain how making at least the final 8 in majors and winning at least one Masters every year isn't quite the same "struggle" as peaking at the R16 in majors and frequently bombing out or getting routined by his rivals in Masters as he did prior to that Wimbledon breakthrough.

As another poster said, we Murray fans have it easy compared to most.

:crazy:

You're putting words in his mouth, I feel.

How so?

duong
03-29-2013, 09:48 AM
Murray's variety is always enough to throw Gasquet off his game. I expect an explosive start from the French star but Murray will reel him in and win in 3 as usual.

Gasquet does have a chance and actually he said in his interview that he "can beat Murray", which is pretty optimistic words in Gasquet's mouth :lol: (even though he also said that Murray was great at pretty much everything in typical Gasquet mode :lol: )

but I don't think people should too much expect a "strong start" from him as he's not usually a great starter in big matches.

He can start badly and come back, Murray can start worse than him ... every scenario is possible.

duong
03-29-2013, 09:53 AM

and actually if all of their matches had been in best of 3, Gasquet would lead the H2H 5-2 as Murray came back twice from 2 sets to love down (and once from one set down) ;)

Andi-M
03-29-2013, 10:16 AM
:rolleyes: Not relative to his early years. Hell, not even relative to 98% of the field.

Even with his 2012 aside, I don't think I need to explain how making at least the final 8 in majors and winning at least one Masters every year isn't quite the same "struggle" as peaking at the R16 in majors and frequently bombing out or getting routined by his rivals in Masters as he did prior to that Wimbledon breakthrough.

As another poster said, we Murray fans have it easy compared to most.

How so?

Agree we are a very privileged bunch, as Andy Murray is so consistent and has had ALOT of success. Its frustrating at times watching him play :facepalm: tennis, blowing leads, mentally checking out of games at a time, but when its good its really good. Andy :hearts:

Moozza
03-29-2013, 10:21 AM

No FFS :facepalm: I thought it was quite clear but obviously not. I watched many matches before then but this is the first one that sticks out clealry in my mind. It's not that hard to grasp :lol:.

I saw the two Qfs today and the Cilic-Murray one was absolutely terrible. Full of errors, boring rallies, dreadful match.

By contrast, the Berdych-Gasquet QF was fun to watch, Gasquet was on fire with his back-hand and playing really creative tennis.

If they both play like today, Gasquet will take out Murray tomorrow.

I would so much love a Haas-Gasquet final. That would be pretty, intelligent, varied tennis.

C'mon boys, make it happen!

What matches were you watching?

Berdych was terrible, he hit loads of errors. Murray-Cilic second set was far better quality than this match,

Yves.
03-29-2013, 10:30 AM
I'm rooting so hard for a Haas-Gasquet final. The difference between a Murray-Ferrer final and a Haas-Gasquet final is huge. I don't think I'll even watch if it's Murray-Ferrer. Endless stream of boring left to right rallies :(

born_on_clay
03-29-2013, 11:26 AM
Murray in 2

simplet
03-29-2013, 12:59 PM
Gotta love how the ATP players page is currently featuring both the Murray-Ferrer H2H and Murray's stats in master finals. Way to be subtle guys...

ProdigyEng
03-29-2013, 01:01 PM
Gasquet, if you can take Murray out here, I will love you forever.

I thought you were a Murray fan...

Dark Knight
03-29-2013, 02:47 PM
No FFS :facepalm: I thought it was quite clear but obviously not. I watched many matches before then but this is the first one that sticks out clealry in my mind. It's not that hard to grasp :lol:.

What matches were you watching?

Berdych was terrible, he hit loads of errors. Murray-Cilic second set was far better quality than this match,

Hey what do you mean by "Payer of the year 2012" ?? lol. :haha:

Andy Murray-Grand Slam and Olympic Champion

SLAMRAYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!

Payer of the year 2012

Forever Slamray(until Multislamray, which will be soon)

Sombrerero loco
03-29-2013, 03:13 PM
murray in 2 sets for sure...

Topspindoctor
03-29-2013, 03:16 PM
I thought you were a Murray fan...

Pushray doesn't have real non Brit fans. Fangirls like Muzzalovah and Mooza simply have some weird fetish and find the nutcracker mouthed Scot attractive :o

paseo
03-29-2013, 03:17 PM
Murray will steamroll Gasquet like he's not even there.

Moozza
03-29-2013, 04:28 PM
Hey what do you mean by "Payer of the year 2012" ?? lol. :haha:

Andy Murray-Grand Slam and Olympic Champion

SLAMRAYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!

Payer of the year 2012

Forever Slamray(until Multislamray, which will be soon)

Well he won 2 of the 5 biggest tournaments last year so in my opinion he was player of the year.

Pushray doesn't have real non Brit fans. Fangirls like Muzzalovah and Mooza simply have some weird fetish and find the nutcracker mouthed Scot attractive :o

You wot m8?

Last time I checked I was British, don't think that has changed. Also I'm not attracted to Murray.

Dark Knight
03-29-2013, 04:37 PM
Well he won 2 of the 5 biggest tournaments last year so in my opinion he was player of the year.

You wot m8?

Last time I checked I was British, don't think that has changed. Also I'm not attracted to Murray.

Ok so you mean Player not "payer" :haha:.

Roy Emerson
03-29-2013, 04:43 PM
Murray

ProdigyEng
03-29-2013, 04:46 PM

What about me? The best of the Murray fans on here?

fedalrock
03-29-2013, 06:49 PM
tbh i think Gasquet has a fair chance here with Murray looking average this tournament.
But still i think Murray to take it in 3 with Gasquet taking a set in a tiebreak or something.

Noleta
03-29-2013, 07:01 PM
Would love it if Richie somehow wins this,but i think it's definitely looking like a straight set win for Muzza.:(

TigerTim
03-29-2013, 07:02 PM
last time they played was FO? I remember the last two sets of that were among the best Andy has played

Cereal Killer
03-29-2013, 07:05 PM
last time they played was FO? I remember the last two sets of that were among the best Andy has played

That was possibly my favourite Murray match of 2012 and certainly the best clay match he played last year. Hopefully he will be in a similar mood today (minus losing the first set). The crowd was loving it too. :haha:

B-Nard
03-29-2013, 10:34 PM
If Gasquet wants to win this match, he needs to play with the same variety, patience and intellect like he did against Berdych.

Murray Mint
03-29-2013, 10:42 PM
You wot m8?

:lol:

TSD is losing it. If anyone's got a crush on Andrew, I'd say he's a prime candidate.

latso
03-29-2013, 11:12 PM
warming up

3 sets i hope, Gasquet i hope

Murray i voted though