03-29-2013, 01:26 AM
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lye2c8CUSB1qlhwa6o1_500.gif

ProdigyEng
Lol. Good performance from Richie.

azinna
:kiss: that backhand.

An elegantly constructed pair of sets there.

SerialKillerToBe
Unbelievable :facepalm: Mugray is so lucky

Chris Kuerten
03-29-2013, 01:27 AM
Berdych went up 3-2* in the first set with excellent tennis and chances to break Gasquet, after which he suddenly completely checked out and lost the following seven games :facepalm:

MuzzahLovah
Fine, fresh, fierce, fabulous.

Johnny Groove
très bon, très bon. Magnifique!

Gasquet was just on FIRE tonight.

Kat_YYZ
chapeau, monsieur :hatoff:

Brick Top
Pathetic from Berdy...a really horrid performance :o

rocketassist
Berdych was horrendous, Gasquet very versatile though. 17-10 great stats for him.

janko05
03-29-2013, 01:28 AM
great win Richie, you deserved it!

Sanya
:sobbing:

Certinfy
Gasquet was amazing, congrats to him and his fans.

Berdych was absolutely pathetic though, only part of his game that wasn't poor was his volleys and that says a lot. Was disgusting off the ground, he couldn't even hit a few shots in a row in to save his life.

ProdigyEng
Unbelievable :facepalm: Mugray is so lucky

Always have to bring him into it don't you? His draw has been much more difficult than Djoko King's was in paper, yet Djoko King lost to Haas? LOL.

Lleyton_
Good riddance. Shame Falla couldn't do it.

leng jai
Berdych has been average all week. Gasquet must have played well. Murray must be pissing himself with delight.

Rafa#Uno:-)
03-29-2013, 01:29 AM
this tournament is funny all big names is loosing

silverwhite
Dedicated to Certinfy :kiss:

RIboy
Haas- Gasquet final please

SerialKillerToBe
Always have to bring him into it don't you? His draw has been much more difficult than Djoko King's was in paper, yet Djoko King lost to Haas? LOL.

Haas would have killed every player on Mugray's half.

Newcomer
OMG, how bad was Berdych.
Worst match since DC final.
Movement was:facepalm:
Looks like he wasn't adjust to conditions.
Another tough result for sport.

MuzzahLovah
03-29-2013, 01:30 AM
Beautiful from Gasquet :hearts:

Mentalmidget
Gasquet will choke against Murray :D

janko05

Berdych was absolutely pathetic though, only part of his game that wasn't poor was his volleys and that says a lot. Was disgusting off the ground, he couldn't even hit a few shots in a row in to save his life.

he needs some rest. it was obvious the other day

motorhead
c'est magnifique :worship::worship:

haters gonna hate :p

Mental Giant
No federer, care for Berdy one of the most blatant tanks in recent years!

MuzzahLovah

:hug:

Certinfy
03-29-2013, 01:31 AM
Dedicated to Certinfy :kiss:
At least a QF is better than a R2 or R3 which he should have lost in both.

This was a chance so of course I'm disappointed, but part of me expected him to play a shit match the next few days, just didn't really expect it to come today.

:hug:
:hug: Hopefully Slam takes this title with ease now.

BackhandDTL
03-29-2013, 01:31 AM
I'm a fan of both guys, so I was torn during this match, but I'm happy Gasquet took it because the win probably means more to him.

Anyway, Richie was on fire tonight. He did well to diffuse Berdych's aggression early on with defense, then began stringing him around as he settled into the match. The backhand angles, the droppers, the passing shots, it was all in tonight. He's so good at displacing his opponents, and that can prove really effective against these big hitters who would otherwise hit right through him.

Wish Berdych could have sustained his play from the first set, but his inability to do so had a lot to do with Gasquet, so all in all just a strong night for Richie.

yuri27
03-29-2013, 01:32 AM
Honestly speaking, bar 2-3 great BHs and drop shots, Gasquet didn't play anything special, anyway not anywhere close some of his best matches of the past (particularly a few ones against Murray).
It will be an interesting match up against Murray, probably the only member of the big 4 he doesn't really fear.

Newcomer
03-29-2013, 01:32 AM
that point at 2-3 0-30 was turning point.

Gris
03-29-2013, 01:33 AM
Good job Richard although I was willing to see my two favs in a semifinal.

Well done!

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App (http://www.verticalsports.com/mobile)

Li Ching Yuen
03-29-2013, 01:33 AM
The winning formula for Gasquet was serving exclusively to the forehand and loop the ball in play with every long rally. Still, if Berdych would've had Haas's variety, or at least 1% of it, he could have won in straights.

afterglows
03-29-2013, 01:34 AM
Yes!!! So happy!!

Great performance from Richie. Awesome shotmaking, he was really in the zone tonight. So nice to see him play like this.
Berdych was pretty poor. But Richie stay solid through the match, that's always a good point with him.

Keep it up vs Muzza! Allez!

Kowchi
Wow Berdych must have been awful!!! Berdych would normally win this 6-3 6-3. Gasquet must have been hot!

Best of luck to Gasquet against Murray.

Mark Lenders
:facepalm: Shame Berdych's first 'bad' loss of the year comes when he had a manageable path to the title, but he had been struggling all week anyway so probably wouldn't have mattered.

'Off' Berdych and Tsonga are the only top players Gasquet can trouble/beat these days, so I wouldn't expect anything vs Murray tomorrow at all.

n8
03-29-2013, 01:35 AM
Excellent! Indian Wells revenge. Almost an exact turnaround with the same amount of games.

ProdigyEng
03-29-2013, 01:36 AM
Haas would have killed every player on Mugray's half.

Lol if you say so. I can smell the butthurt from here.

Certinfy
:facepalm: Shame Berdych's first 'bad' loss of the year comes when he had a manageable path to the title, but he had been struggling all week anyway so probably wouldn't have mattered.

'Off' Berdych and Tsonga are the only top players Gasquet can trouble/beat these days, so I wouldn't expect anything vs Murray tomorrow at all.
Probably better he lost this anyway. This Berdych (especially serving like shit) would have got even less games vs Murray tomorrow.

Still good tournament after how it started I suppose.

Puschkin
:woohoo:

Berdych started well, an it ws Richard who had to fend off the first bps, after having done that, the match turned more and more in his favour, Berdych with far too many arrors and Richard with more and mor variety the longer the match lasted. I am proud of my man. :D

deyaT87
03-29-2013, 01:37 AM
:yeah:
Great win for Richie,he played great. And that backhand :worship:
Berdych had too much UE's
I want final Gasquet-Haas ;)

MuzzahLovah
03-29-2013, 01:37 AM
At least a QF is better than a R2 or R3 which he should have lost in both.

This was a chance so of course I'm disappointed, but part of me expected him to play a shit match the next few days, just didn't really expect it to come today.

:hug: Hopefully Slam takes this title with ease now.

Yeah he was lucky to make it past Falla, he's been doing better by avoiding early round upsets. I really think, even despite this loss, Berdych is positioned well to break into the top 5, especially if Rafa or David have some stumbles in clay season.

afterglows
03-29-2013, 01:38 AM

:hearts: :hearts:

But Ferrer-Murray is more likely...

Sapeod
03-29-2013, 01:38 AM
I wasn't expecting a result like this, but I'm not complaining. Much rather Andy faced Gasquet than Berdych in all honesty.

scoobs
03-29-2013, 01:39 AM
Brilliant performance from Gasquet - intelligent service direction, was patient in rallies but attacked when he had the occasion to do so, some lovely backhands and a couple of screaming forehand passing winners too.

He knocked Berdych off balance in the middle of the second set, and Tomas never recovered - game got more and more wayward as Gasquet tightened the screws.

BackhandDTL
03-29-2013, 01:39 AM
Wow Berdych must have been awful!!! Berdych would normally win this 6-3 6-3. Gasquet must have been hot!

Best of luck to Gasquet against Murray.

Not following. H2H is 3-5 in the Frenchman's favor.

*M*
03-29-2013, 01:41 AM
Excellent! Indian Wells revenge. Almost an exact turnaround with the same amount of games.
Yes! Was afraid of a similar result, but glad Richie was able to get him back this time.

emotion
03-29-2013, 01:42 AM
Ferrer def Nishikori and Gasquet def Berdych. Not a good week for Lenders :lol:

Gasquet played beautifully, fantastic match by him. He'll beat Murray playing that way

Mark Lenders
03-29-2013, 01:42 AM
Not following. H2H is 3-5 in the Frenchman's favor.

This matchup's history must be one of the most bizarre around. Gasquet leads 5-3, but 7 of the 8 matches, including Berdych's three wins, were rather routine, some even blowouts.

Certinfy
03-29-2013, 01:44 AM
it wasn't surprising at all considering his previous matches,

and Gasquet always troubles his game, esp. with his sliced shots and alternance of spins.
Berdych played like crap in those matches though, and his form before those matches proves that.

When Berdych is in good form he's trashed Gasquet.

Matchup is clearly in Berdych's hands, if he doesn't play well he allows Gasquet to play his game and then everything turns into shambles, but if he does play well Gasquet has no chance.

T.C
03-29-2013, 01:44 AM
well done, richie! :worship:

yuri27
03-29-2013, 01:45 AM
Ferrer def Nishikori and Gasquet def Berdych. Not a good week for Lenders :lol:

Gasquet played beautifully, fantastic match by him. He'll beat Murray playing that way

No fucking way
He played far better than that in some of his past matches against Murray and yet he couldn't beat him so......

yuri27
03-29-2013, 01:46 AM
Berdych played like crap in those matches though, and his form before those matches proves that.

Matchup is clearly in Berdych's hands, if he doesn't play well he allows Gasquet to play his game and then everything turns into shambles, but if he does play well Gasquet has no chance.

At Toronto 2006, no matter how well Berdych was playing, he wouldn't have beaten Gasquet as Gasquet was totally on fire, beating Murray and Blake(who was pretty good back then) in straight sets in that same tournament and taking a set 6-2 against peak Federer.

Certinfy
03-29-2013, 01:46 AM
"Richard Gasquet" was just trending worldwide on Twitter.

Fucking Berdych haters are out in full flow again.
At Toronto 2006, no matter how well Berdych was playing, he wouldn't have beaten Gasquet as Gasquet was totally on fire, beating Murray and Blake(who was pretty good back then) in straight sets in that same tournament and taking a set 6-2 against peak Federer.
I agree with that one, but Berdych was an even bigger useless mug back in 2006 (yes people, Berdych being an even bigger mug than tonight is possible), but in their other matches Berdych has really been shit poor.

redshift36188
03-29-2013, 01:47 AM
Nice, Gasquet-Murray is probably a cool matchup to watch.

BroTree123
03-29-2013, 01:48 AM

LMAO It's just Berdych, it's not like he won a CYGS :facepalm:

BackhandDTL
03-29-2013, 01:48 AM
This matchup's history must be one of the most bizarre around. Gasquet leads 5-3, but 7 of the 8 matches, including Berdych's three wins, were rather routine, some even blowouts.

Their styles couldn't be any more different, so that has a lot to do with it. Berdych has a game that can exploit and run through Gasquet when superb, but Gasquet has the tools frustrate and nullify Tomas otherwise.

When one executes particularly well, it's bound to make the other look bad by comparison.

yuri27
03-29-2013, 01:49 AM

I agree with that one, but Berdych was an even bigger useless mug back in 2006 (yes people, Berdych being an even bigger mug than tonight is possible), but in their other matches Berdych has really been shit poor.

Berdych beat Nadal in that same tournament and won a MS the year before.
But i agree with you about the fact that in most of their matches, Berdych was the one who held the cards, winning or losing.

Certinfy
03-29-2013, 01:50 AM
LMAO It's just Berdych, it's not like he won a CYGS :facepalm:
Achievements don't matter, bitter Fedtards are still out there, especially after Berdych stopped his cakewalk draw to an Olympic Gold in Athens.

Topspindoctor
03-29-2013, 01:50 AM
And as expected Pushray's draw fell apart :rolleyes: Pushsquet will bend over nice and low for the haggis eater, book it

Certinfy
03-29-2013, 01:51 AM
Berdych beat Nadal in that same tournament and won a MS the year before.
Was still pretty bad though from what I remember, but either way Gasquet was great in that tournament for sure.

WinterIsComing
03-29-2013, 01:54 AM
Another amazing result in a crazy tounament! :yeah:

I just can hope it's not over, because after all this a Murray-Ferrer final would be rather dull:o

Orka_n
03-29-2013, 01:55 AM
For some reason, Berdy struggles against Gasquet.

Oh well. Let's hope Richie brings it in the semi.

yuri27
03-29-2013, 01:55 AM
Was still pretty bad though from what I remember, but either way Gasquet was great in that tournament for sure.

Who would have thought that in the following 7 years, he wouldn't win anything better than an ATP 250 after troubling so much peak Federer in final?

janko05
03-29-2013, 01:56 AM
And as expected Pushray's draw fell apart :rolleyes: Pushsquet will bend over nice and low for the haggis eater, book it

If you were following closely you'd know that he's a bigger threat to Murray than this Berdych

Certinfy
03-29-2013, 01:57 AM
Who would have thought that in the following 7 years, he wouldn't win anything better than an ATP 250 after troubling so much peak Federer in final?
Yeah, I can't say I'm a fan of Gasquet but I'm with you on this. Never thought he would win a Grand Slam but definitely did think at the time he would win at least a few masters. Still has a lot of time to win a tournament bigger than a 250 though. Good luck to him, you and other Gasquet fans.

yuri27
03-29-2013, 01:58 AM
Yeah, I can't say I'm a fan of Gasquet but I'm with you on this. Never thought he would win a Grand Slam but definitely did think at the time he would win at least a few masters. Still has a lot of time to win a tournament bigger than a 250 though. Good luck to him, you and other Gasquet fans.

Thanks.

Topspindoctor
03-29-2013, 02:00 AM
If you were following closely you'd know that he's a bigger threat to Murray than this Berdych

:haha: watching Gascoke gift 2 matches to Mandy in a slam after wining 2 sets I have trouble believing he can be a threat to Mugray. He lacks mental strength and champion mentality

simplet
03-29-2013, 02:01 AM

When has Berdych ever "trashed" Gasquet? He has the one 6-0 6-2 victory in 2010 when he was in the form of his life an Gasquet was coming back from his supension (he had to get a WC to enter Monte-Carlo that year!), that's pretty much it.

Certinfy
03-29-2013, 02:02 AM
When has Berdych ever "trashed" Gasquet? He has the one 6-0 6-2 victory in 2010 when he was in the form of his life an Gasquet was coming back from his supension (he had to get a WC to enter Monte-Carlo that year!), that's pretty much it.
Thrashed wasn't the right word but he's definitely routed him in other two wins. 6-2 7-6 6-2 in Melbourne when the second set shouldn't have even been that close and 6-1 7-5 only a few weeks ago.
:haha: watching Gascoke gift 2 matches to Mandy in a slam after wining 2 sets I have trouble believing he can be a threat to Mugray. He lacks mental strength and champion mentality

2 sets and a break in both matches and he served for the one at Wimbledon in the third. :lol:

champras
03-29-2013, 02:05 AM
Seems like Richie finally lost the 'H' from Mr. Choke here in Miami. 'Good stuff', we could say ;)
+1 for the single handed backhand fiesta final! :worship:

yuri27
03-29-2013, 02:08 AM
Seems like Richie lost the 'H' from Mr. Choke here in Miami. 'Good stuff', we could say ;)
+1 for the backhand fiesta final! :worship:

Gasquet's main problems are still the same: poor fitness and atrocious rally FH which the top players can easily attack to take control of the point.
He will never achieve anything big as long as those glaring weaknesses will remain.

Certinfy
03-29-2013, 02:11 AM
the second set two weeks ago was very tight, there were plenty of breakpoints on both players' serve, Berdych actually celebrated his win a lot.

and no need for lols Gasquet also won in Toronto 6-4 6-2 and their match in Roma 2011 I remember was quite easy for Gasquet ...
Berdych was pathetic in the second set, his level dropped hugely from the first.

Rome wasn't easy and turned into a very tight match. But that match is probably the stupidest match I've ever seen any player ever play tactically, he kept hitting to Gasquet's backhand for some reason, amazing Berdych even got a set.

gulzhan
03-29-2013, 02:13 AM
Richard :woohoo:

He really needs several wins like this one to build up his confidence and aim for top 8 this year :hearts:

leng jai
03-29-2013, 02:15 AM
A masters SF birth after a good win and Yuri still can't stop ranting about Gasquet's rally forehand and shit record against top players. What a fan.

janko05
03-29-2013, 02:16 AM

he managed to beat him a couple of times on HC BO3 iirc
all I'm saying this Berdych couldn't do much harm to Murray's game

Certinfy
03-29-2013, 02:16 AM
"easy" was too much of a word, but Gasquet looked dominant in my eyes from the second set of that match.
Well Gasquet perhaps should have won the third more convincingly, but Berdych still did have quite a few half chances so it wasn't very one sided.

Either way I hope these 2 play more often.

Snowwy
03-29-2013, 02:19 AM
One good news for Fedhaters like Gulzhan and Certinfy : Gasquet gets ahead of Federer in the Race ;)

Really shows how bad of a year Federer is having. :sad:

lucyfur
03-29-2013, 02:21 AM
Maybe Berdy needs to fire his mental coach.:o

ProdigyEng
03-29-2013, 02:21 AM
One good news for Fedhaters like Gulzhan and Certinfy : Gasquet gets ahead of Federer in the Race ;)

Certinfy hates Gasquet too.

Absolute Anthropoid
03-29-2013, 02:23 AM
Man down. :haha:

I thought it was Bashdyck who won 6-3 6-3 for a second...

Lugburz
03-29-2013, 02:36 AM
good job Gasquet, Berdych looked kinda uninterested imo. Better luck next time I guess.

MrPlateperson
03-29-2013, 02:48 AM
So close to a Haas - Gasquet final... yet so far. Probably 1/200 chance of happening.

mp3junkie
03-29-2013, 03:06 AM

I want this too badly!!! I love Gasquest. That backhand is so elegant.

Mountaindewslave
03-29-2013, 03:15 AM
Gasquet fairly well but Berdych poor

good to see variety winning over ball bashing though

MTwEeZi
03-29-2013, 03:22 AM

Ferrer is number 2 in the race :bowdown:

SliceAce
03-29-2013, 03:23 AM
In Fed's generation, Berdsh*t was around 10-20 in the rankings. He has flashes of brilliance but most of the time is mediocre and has serious flaws in his game (movement and 2nd serve being the biggest) that can be exposed by top players. Can anyone really say he's improved to become a consistent top 8 player? He still has the same weaknesses, is still mentally weak, is still below his top level 99% of the time, and still loses random matches (including a R1 of a slam every year for his whole career).

Berdsh*t's rise is the ultimate example of a weak era, even worse than Mugsarevic or Sillyic. He's not offensively bad, just mediocre against worse than mediocre competition.

njnetswill
03-29-2013, 03:36 AM
I feel like I have given up on Gasquet's relevance at least four times during his career, and now here he is, back in the top ten, in a premier SF. Glad he can keep proving me wrong.

Pirata.
03-29-2013, 03:40 AM
:drool:

SliceAce
03-29-2013, 03:42 AM
I feel like I have given up on Gasquet's relevance at least four times during his career, and now here he is, back in the top ten, in a premier SF. Glad he can keep proving me wrong.

Has his forehand improved? What about his mental toughness? Does he still stand 3 feet behind the baseline and does his serve still have technical flaws? Can we really say that anything has improved, or is he another youngster of the Fed generation who survived long enough for Fed to get worse and the new generation to not show up.

We can go all day about which era is stronger or weaker, but when we look at objective facts the answer is clear. Soderling had to vastly improve his game, mentality, and fitness to make top 10 in the Fedal generation. Berdych and Gasquet have not. GSM. This is not really directed at you btw, just a general comment.

cutesteve22
03-29-2013, 03:47 AM
Expected result.

lalaland
03-29-2013, 04:21 AM
I was cheering for Thomas :sad:. Oh well, Richie closer to overtake JoWilly as #1 French, not bad.

MuzzahLovah
03-29-2013, 04:47 AM
Has his forehand improved? What about his mental toughness? Does he still stand 3 feet behind the baseline and does his serve still have technical flaws? Can we really say that anything has improved, or is he another youngster of the Fed generation who survived long enough for Fed to get worse and the new generation to not show up.

We can go all day about which era is stronger or weaker, but when we look at objective facts the answer is clear. Soderling had to vastly improve his game, mentality, and fitness to make top 10 in the Fedal generation. Berdych and Gasquet have not. GSM. This is not really directed at you btw, just a general comment.

All of the announcers on ESPN repeatedly commented on Gasquet better court position during this match, especially on the second serve. So your objective facts need a going over :haha:

And Berdych has become a more consistent player, especially when it comes to dispatching Fed.

MuzzahLovah
03-29-2013, 04:52 AM
Achievements don't matter, bitter Fedtards are still out there, especially after Berdych stopped his cakewalk draw to an Olympic Gold in Athens.

They sure can hold a grudge against people who dare beat fed :haha:

Mr. Oracle
03-29-2013, 04:59 AM
Haas/Gasquet collision on course. Two new rising powers destined to supplant Noleray as the new rivalry. A changing of the guard. Tennis wins.

mdterp01
03-29-2013, 05:04 AM
http://img816.imageshack.us/img816/1382/megamouthsroberts.gif

Bye Berdick!!!!

Pratik
03-29-2013, 05:12 AM
Don't believe I missed this :bigcry::bigcry:
First Gasquet match I missed this tournament.

Very happy for Richie. Sweet revenge. :D

FlameOn
03-29-2013, 05:14 AM
Tomas :hug::sad:.

Mark Lenders
03-29-2013, 05:15 AM
I was cheering for Thomas :sad:. Oh well, Richie closer to overtake JoWilly as #1 French, not bad.

This cannot really happen, can it? I mean, Gasquet overtaking Tsonga in the rankings when the latter made one SF and two QF at Slams in the past 12 months? Not to mention Gasquet getting to the top 8 with as many Slam QFs and in the past 5 years and titles above 250 in his career as my grandmother.

I haven't been paying much attention to the rankings lately, but hopefully this is not a danger, especially since #8 and #9 actually mess with the seedings.

Cereal Killer
03-29-2013, 05:17 AM
This cannot really happen, can it? I mean, Gasquet overtaking Tsonga in the rankings when the latter made one SF and two QF at Slams in the past 12 months? Not to mention Gasquet getting to the top 8 with as many Slam QFs and in the past 5 years and titles above 250 in his career as my grandmother.

I haven't been paying much attention to the rankings lately, but hopefully this is not a danger, especially since #8 and #9 actually mess with the seedings.

Gasquet would overtake him by winning this event.

Mark Lenders
03-29-2013, 05:23 AM
Gasquet would overtake him by winning this event.

What if, as expected, he loses to Murray tomorrow? Is there any danger of it happening before, say, Roland Garros and Wimbledon?

How can Gasquet even be close to a top 8 ranking anyway? He never got past R16 in Slams and only won 250 events...

Cereal Killer
03-29-2013, 05:39 AM
What if, as expected, he loses to Murray tomorrow? Is there any danger of it happening before, say, Roland Garros and Wimbledon?

How can Gasquet even be close to a top 8 ranking anyway? He never got past R16 in Slams and only won 250 events...

Current rankings (Miami points included):

Tsonga: 3660
Gasquet: 3230

Tsonga is defending 450 points until RG (MC: 180, Madrid: 90, Rome: 180) and Gasquet is defending 420 (MC: -, Madrid: 90, Rome: 180, Estoril: 150).

Tsonga: 3210
Gasquet: 2810

Both are playing MC, but I don't know about Barcelona or any other minor events, since the entry lists aren't published yet. Tsonga had a pretty strong clay season for his standards, so I'm not sure he can repeat that performance.

Mark Lenders
03-29-2013, 05:48 AM
Current rankings (Miami points included):

Tsonga: 3660
Gasquet: 3230

Tsonga is defending 450 points until RG (MC: 180, Madrid: 90, Rome: 180) and Gasquet is defending 420 (MC: -, Madrid: 90, Rome: 180, Estoril: 150).

Tsonga: 3210
Gasquet: 2810

Both are playing MC, but I don't know about Barcelona or any other minor events, since the entry lists aren't published yet. Tsonga had a pretty strong clay season for his standards, so I'm not sure he can repeat that performance.

Ah this is reassuring, means that since they earned pretty much the same number of points on clay last year, Gasquet would have to outperform Tsonga by pretty the same points he earned in the entire clay season last year (instead of 420 he needs to match Tsonga + 420) for his little vulturing campaign to interfere with Roland Garros/Wimbledon seedings. Highly unlikely to say the least if Murray does the job tomorrow as he should.

It still baffles me how this is even a question though. Tsonga has reached QF or better in 8 different 1000 or above events in the past 12 months, three of them being Slams, while Gasquet did it on three occasions, all in Masters, not to mention Tsonga reached a 500 final unlike Gasquet.

Cereal Killer
03-29-2013, 05:51 AM
Ah this is reassuring, means that since they earned pretty much the same number of points on clay last year, Gasquet would have to outperform Tsonga by pretty the same points he earned in the entire clay season last year (instead of 420 he needs to match Tsonga + 420) for his little vulturing campaign to interfere with Roland Garros/Wimbledon seedings. Highly unlikely to say the least if Murray does the job tomorrow as he should.

Well, Tsonga reached the semis at Wimbledon 2 years in a row, so his seeding there is safe anyway, unless Gasquet does sth. outrageous.

Pratik
03-29-2013, 06:09 AM
@Lenders: Murray has never beaten Gasquet in 3 attempts in a Bo3 match(6-2 in sets), the last one being just last year. Definitely, Murray is still the strong favourite, not going to deny that. Gasquet now leads the h2h with Berdych 5-3 including 3 of their last 4 matches. While he does not have a very good record against the other top players, your theory of Richie not being capable of beating the top players is on shaky ground.

Your dislike of him aside, surely at least now you admit that he is playing better than he did a year and a half ago. Clay suits his game well and there is a decent chance that he will put on points over last years clay season. Further, Tsonga had a good clay season last year by his standards. Moreover, he has not being playing too well recently. So it isn't expecting too much for him to drop points in the clay season. Gasquet being a top 8 seed will be tough, but I think it is possible for RG. For Wimbledon it is near impossible because of the modified seeding.

Mark Lenders
03-29-2013, 06:23 AM
Well, Tsonga reached the semis at Wimbledon 2 years in a row, so his seeding there is safe anyway, unless Gasquet does sth. outrageous.

True. It should be safe then, Gasquet would also need to do something extraordinary to get that many points over Tsonga on clay.

@Lenders: Murray has never beaten Gasquet in 3 attempts in a Bo3 match(6-2 in sets), the last one being just last year. Definitely, Murray is still the strong favourite, not going to deny that. Gasquet now leads the h2h with Berdych 5-3 including 3 of their last 4 matches. While he does not have a very good record against the other top players, your theory of Richie not being capable of beating the top players is on shaky ground.

Your dislike of him aside, surely at least now you admit that he is playing better than he did a year and a half ago. Clay suits his game well and there is a decent chance that he will put on points over last years clay season. Further, Tsonga had a good clay season last year by his standards. Moreover, he has not being playing too well recently. So it isn't expecting too much for him to drop points in the clay season. Gasquet being a top 8 seed will be tough, but I think it is possible for RG. For Wimbledon it is near impossible because of the modified seeding.

He's capable of beating Berdych and Tsonga in their 'off' days, I give you that. I don't think he can beat Murray anymore bar maybe on clay tbh, his game has become way too defensive and there's no way he'll ever manage to be more consistent off the ground than the likes of Djokovic, Murray, Nadal, Federer, Del Potro or Ferrer - none of these players will give him 30 UEs in 18 games like Berdych did. He has become more effective against the field in general and therefore more consistent, but his ability to hurt the top guys has suffered as a result. He would prove me wrong if he pushed Murray or beat him tomorrow, but I really doubt it.

Yes, he's playing better than a year and a half ago and he probably deserves his top 10 ranking, yes. But no way does he deserve to be ahead of Tsonga, just compare their results at the Slams; even in Masters Tsonga has been way more consistent in reaching QF and he has a 500 final unlike Gasquet. Even as a Gasquet fan, surely you recognize that reaching the top 8 in the world without ever being in the last 8 of the biggest events (Slams) and rarely ever at Masters as well (not to mention not winning anything above 250) is very bizarre at best. That said, I wouldn't expect Tsonga to drop that many points on the clay season, this 'not playing too well' has been going for about a year and he's still good enough to routinely reach R4/QF of events on a regular basis, I'd expect him to continue that on the clay season.

Vlad1980
03-29-2013, 06:58 AM

Gasquet has reached final in Toronto last year and now semis (at least) in Miami, while Tsonga's best results in 1000s events in last 12 months is 1/4 finals, although 6 of them. So, Richard has more points overall in 1000s events so far. In slams, you right, Tsonga's results are a lot more impressive... however if Richard does get to number 8, his R16 opponents all of the sudden will get much weaker than Murrays and Djokovics, so expect him to reach QF of slam if he does get to number 8.

Mark Lenders
03-29-2013, 07:01 AM
Gasquet has reached final in Toronto last year and now semis (at least) in Miami, while Tsonga's best results in 1000s events in last 12 months is 1/4 finals, although 6 of them. So, Richard has more points overall in 1000s events so far. In slams, you right, Tsonga's results are a lot more impressive... however if Richard does get to number 8, his R16 opponents all of the sudden will get much weaker than Murrays and Djokovics, so expect him to reach QF of slam if he does get to number 8.

Of course, how unlucky of Gasquet to have faced R16 opponents stronger than Murray and Djokovic in the past 12 months like Tsonga, Ferrer (2x) and especially Mayer - that's the whole reason he didn't reach a QF definitely.

Vlad1980
03-29-2013, 07:10 AM
Of course, how unlucky of Gasquet to have faced R16 opponents stronger than Murray and Djokovic in the past 12 months like Tsonga, Ferrer (2x) and especially Mayer - that's the whole reason he didn't reach a QF definitely.

Actually, Gasquet hates playing Ferrer and very often loses to him very easily. This year at US Open, it was (relatively) tight match. He often goes out to him 1 and 2. Mayer match was terrible, absolutely bad and a wasted chance, so that's the only match he really should have won.

Tsonga overall is a bigger caliber player, no doubt about it, but Richard is on the way to maybe get close to his level soon. As far as clay court season, I fully expect Richard to gain more points than Tsonga. I think there is very good chance that Richard will be number 8 after Wimbledon, given Tsonga has so many points to defend there.

Mark Lenders
03-29-2013, 07:17 AM
Actually, Gasquet hates playing Ferrer and very often loses to him very easily. This year at US Open, it was (relatively) tight match. He often goes out to him 1 and 2. Mayer match was terrible, absolutely bad and a wasted chance, so that's the only match he really should have won.

Tsonga overall is a bigger caliber player, no doubt about it, but Richard is on the way to maybe get close to his level soon. As far as clay court season, I fully expect Richard to gain more points than Tsonga. I think there is very good chance that Richard will be number 8 after Wimbledon, given Tsonga has so many points to defend there.

Fair enough.

As for the bolded bit, I have my doubts. As the #9 seed, he has a 50% chance of drawing either Nadal or Del Potro in R4 of Madrid/Rome, matchups where he frankly stands next to no chance if they take place. He could also draw Berdych, who he can beat but he would not be the favorite. His best bet would be of course to draw Tsonga, a match where he'd probably be favored on clay (although I'd favor Tsonga if he could replicate last season's clay form actually). Tsonga will get softer draw in R4 of these events, probably allowing him to make at least 1 QF. Tsonga does struggle on clay, but still generally sails through the early rounds, it's against other top players that his woes are exposed.

Sri
03-29-2013, 07:44 AM
Revenge of the original Baby Fed for all the loses Berdych has handed over to Olderer.

guy in sf
03-29-2013, 07:48 AM
From most of the comments it sounds like Berdych handed the match to Gasquet but I just saw the match and I have to say that Gasquet really performed well and outplayed Berdych! Gasquet was really aggressive (more than I've ever seen before) but his awesome defense really wore Berdych down and he also outserved Berdych. Lastly his backhand was on fire too!

I've noticed that he's sounding more confident in interviews now than before.
He's saying things like "I have a good chance to win" whereas before he would say "I have nothing to lose, I will try my best."
His mindset is different now.

I just wish he would be more aggressive on the forehand and hit less moonballs though!

Pratik
03-29-2013, 07:59 AM
He has become more effective against the field in general and therefore more consistent, but his ability to hurt the top guys has suffered as a result. He would prove me wrong if he pushed Murray or beat him tomorrow, but I really doubt it.

Yes, he's playing better than a year and a half ago and he probably deserves his top 10 ranking, yes. But no way does he deserve to be ahead of Tsonga, just compare their results at the Slams; even in Masters Tsonga has been way more consistent in reaching QF and he has a 500 final unlike Gasquet. Even as a Gasquet fan, surely you recognize that reaching the top 8 in the world without ever being in the last 8 of the biggest events (Slams) and rarely ever at Masters as well (not to mention not winning anything above 250) is very bizarre at best. That said, I wouldn't expect Tsonga to drop that many points on the clay season, this 'not playing too well' has been going for about a year and he's still good enough to routinely reach R4/QF of events on a regular basis, I'd expect him to continue that on the clay season.

You conceding the bold part is pretty big. Maybe, I should settle for this :D

I agree that his defensiveness hurts his ability to beat the top guys(I'm not a blind tard). He does have the ability to attack, but that only comes out when he is really confident, for example in the second set against Rochus. But, the problem is that this happens very rarely. There is a reason he is called a mental midget. You probably have not seen his matches against lower ranked players and thus don't know about his attacking side. He loses all confidence against the top players which results in his defensive shots and court positioning(which I hate). I was actually surprised that he beat Berdych because bar a few flashes of brilliance, he wasn't playing too well in his matches against Almgaro and Youzhny. I don't think he will beat Murray, but I'm pretty sure that you will be surprised by his fight.

I also agree that considering their difference in slam points, it would be a bit weird for Gasquet to be ranked ahead of Tsonga. That does not chagent he fact that it is a possibility. If he pulls the Murray upset it would be even likely. Another important point is that slam performance has a lot to with draws. Top 8 seed, easier oponent...it's a vicious cycle which I would rather not get into. Let's not forget that Gasquet has really surprised us all by his performance in the last few months. No one really expected(not even his fans, although we did hope) him to get back to the top 10, let alone stay there for 4 months and have a decent shot at #8. Now, even if you change the 600 in Canada to 180(which you wanted to do when he had our last debate about him, remember?) he still stays in the top 10. That's just to say that it would be too early to count him out. Moreover, Gasquet didn't play MC last year and I believe he will play this year and as a top 8 seed as Federer won't be playing. Tsonga has a MC QF last year, so he doesn't stand that much to gain. Further, Richie loves the MC surface and can really do well there. He would drop just 45 from Rotterdam, so he stands to put on a lot.

Pratik
03-29-2013, 08:05 AM
From most of the comments it sounds like Berdych handed the match to Gasquet but I just saw the match and I have to say that Gasquet really performed well and outplayed Berdych! Gasquet was really aggressive (more than I've ever seen before) but his awesome defense really wore Berdych down and he also outserved Berdych. Lastly his backhand was on fire too!

I've noticed that he's sounding more confident in interviews now than before.
He's saying things like "I have a good chance to win" whereas before he would say "I have nothing to lose, I will try my best."
His mindset is different now.

I just wish he would be more aggressive on the forehand and hit less moonballs though!

Nice to hear this. I will see whatever highlights I manage to find too. Still don't believe that I missed the match. Sorry Sanya :p

I agree about his mentality change. After the Rochus match he said that he needs to stop staying behind the baseline and even go to the net more often(I was so happy when I heard this). His serve has been working for him too in the past 6-8 months. I think a slow mentality shift in him has started. He manages to get a little more confidence in himself against top players, he could go a long way.

guy in sf
03-29-2013, 08:19 AM
Nice to hear this. I will see whatever highlights I manage to find too. Still don't believe that I missed the match. Sorry Sanya :p

I agree about his mentality change. After the Rochus match he said that he needs to stop staying behind the baseline and even go to the net more often(I was so happy when I heard this). His serve has been working for him too in the past 6-8 months. I think a slow mentality shift in him has started. He manages to get a little more confidence in himself against top players, he could go a long way.

I watched it on espn3.com

henke007
03-29-2013, 08:28 AM
Great result, whenever Berdych loses a new tennis star is born.. Maybe he should retire for his fan also, dunno if he will get a better chance to win a masters..in this Era..

Allez
03-29-2013, 08:42 AM
Elegant. Very elegant. A little french flair to spice up the tournament :worship: Richie is consolidating. Better late than never. Proper top 10 player ;)

Berdych ?...well he only has eyes for Federer. Expected result :p

Pratik
03-29-2013, 08:46 AM
I watched it on espn3.com

Thanks, but I can't watch it there. You need to be a "customer of an ESPN3 affiliated provider." I guess it only works in the US.

Acer
03-29-2013, 09:24 AM
Excellent performance by Richard, delightful result!

http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j425/Amarea_Rose/Reaction%20GIFs/getlowghettostyle.gif

Topspindoctor
03-29-2013, 09:29 AM
In Fed's generation, Berdsh*t was around 10-20 in the rankings. He has flashes of brilliance but most of the time is mediocre and has serious flaws in his game (movement and 2nd serve being the biggest) that can be exposed by top players. Can anyone really say he's improved to become a consistent top 8 player? He still has the same weaknesses, is still mentally weak, is still below his top level 99% of the time, and still loses random matches (including a R1 of a slam every year for his whole career).

Berdsh*t's rise is the ultimate example of a weak era, even worse than Mugsarevic or Sillyic. He's not offensively bad, just mediocre against worse than mediocre competition.

In Nose's generation Gascoke was #7, why is he struggling to crack top 10 today? Also let's not forget failures like Blake at #4 without a single slam semi. Super strong era :yeah:

Puschkin
03-29-2013, 09:48 AM
http://i.eurosport.fr/2013/03/29/979282-15987351-640-360.jpg
Source: http://www.eurosport.fr/tennis/

:lol: at Berdych's sour grape expression.

leng jai
03-29-2013, 09:50 AM
That's always his expression when he loses to someone ranked lower than him. Literally the exact same face when Gulbis beat him at Wimbledon.

Dark Knight
03-29-2013, 10:23 AM
Birdman that was bad.

Congrats to Richie and his fans..He's having a good run....oh nd btw love that backhand. :clap2:

Dark Knight
03-29-2013, 10:23 AM
That's always his expression when he loses to someone ranked lower than him. Literally the exact same face when Gulbis beat him at Wimbledon.

LOL agreed. :haha:

Marcoo
03-29-2013, 10:25 AM
Wow I have't seen this match, but i guess Gasquet played an aweomse tennis or Berdych had a bad day ;)

MariaV
03-29-2013, 10:26 AM

LOl that's what I've noticed too. :lol: I dunno if I'd call it sour grapes expression but that's funny. ;)
Anyway, congrats Richard! :cheerleader: :cheerleader:

scarecrows
03-29-2013, 10:33 AM

:lol: at Berdych's sour grape expression.

http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lltzgnHi5F1qzib3wo1_400.jpg

henke007
03-29-2013, 10:36 AM
http://i43.tinypic.com/f56lw6.jpg

gorgo1986
03-29-2013, 11:51 AM
Go Richie, when he is on, his tennis is definitely great to watch. Now keep going Richie!!!! Make the finals.

born_on_clay
03-29-2013, 12:27 PM
congrats Richie :yeah:

Sombrerero loco
03-29-2013, 04:08 PM
wow gasquet :bowdown: really good performance!!!

Han Solo
03-29-2013, 04:35 PM
How orgasmic would it be to have a Gasquet Haas final in a Masters tournament?

Chances of this occurring: slim to none.

That said, well done to Gasquet for a strong performance against a very good player.

Sanya
03-29-2013, 05:05 PM

;) He was so focused, never gave up and lost confidence. Find and watch it compulsory. :worship:

Cereal Killer
03-29-2013, 05:08 PM
it's 3300 for Tsonga and 2850 for Gasquet for the seeds for Roland-Garros.
Gasquet is scheduled to play Barcelona, which Tsonga isn't.

Both will also probably play Davis cup + of course Monte-Carlo, Madrid and Roma.

But after Wimbledon Gasquet is in much better position to overtake Tsonga : he's actually 90 points ahead (2310 to 2220) and he's a better claycourter and can also be very good on grass.

I forgot to add the 10 points they get for entering Masters events, but where would Tsonga get 90 points from?

nolesfan2011
03-29-2013, 05:17 PM
really disappointing from Berdych, as is typical

Chris Kuerten
03-29-2013, 05:18 PM

:lol: at Berdych's sour grape expression.http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m681j2ZaM11rvr01vo1_400.gif

Mark Lenders
03-29-2013, 05:20 PM
You conceding the bold part is pretty big. Maybe, I should settle for this :D

I agree that his defensiveness hurts his ability to beat the top guys(I'm not a blind tard). He does have the ability to attack, but that only comes out when he is really confident, for example in the second set against Rochus. But, the problem is that this happens very rarely. There is a reason he is called a mental midget. You probably have not seen his matches against lower ranked players and thus don't know about his attacking side. He loses all confidence against the top players which results in his defensive shots and court positioning(which I hate). I was actually surprised that he beat Berdych because bar a few flashes of brilliance, he wasn't playing too well in his matches against Almgaro and Youzhny. I don't think he will beat Murray, but I'm pretty sure that you will be surprised by his fight.

I also agree that considering their difference in slam points, it would be a bit weird for Gasquet to be ranked ahead of Tsonga. That does not chagent he fact that it is a possibility. If he pulls the Murray upset it would be even likely. Another important point is that slam performance has a lot to with draws. Top 8 seed, easier oponent...it's a vicious cycle which I would rather not get into. Let's not forget that Gasquet has really surprised us all by his performance in the last few months. No one really expected(not even his fans, although we did hope) him to get back to the top 10, let alone stay there for 4 months and have a decent shot at #8. Now, even if you change the 600 in Canada to 180(which you wanted to do when he had our last debate about him, remember?) he still stays in the top 10. That's just to say that it would be too early to count him out. Moreover, Gasquet didn't play MC last year and I believe he will play this year and as a top 8 seed as Federer won't be playing. Tsonga has a MC QF last year, so he doesn't stand that much to gain. Further, Richie loves the MC surface and can really do well there. He would drop just 45 from Rotterdam, so he stands to put on a lot.

Look at the amount of unforced errors Almagro and Berdych gave him though, someone like Murray will not give him that. He does have the ability to take the ball early and attack but he has become increasingly defensive over the years and that's how he's wired to play now. His ability to keep the ball in play and apply sudden changes of direction with his backhand is generally effective against most of the field, but the improved consistency hurts his chances vs the top players. On an average day, Federer, Nadal, Djokovic, Murray and Del Potro are both more powerful and more consistent from the back of the court than Gasquet, which has resulted in plenty of blowout results. He can beat Berdych or Tsonga when they leak lots of UEs, but if they are 'on' they will also blow him off the court given his court positioning. He'd need to be able to find a balance between aggression and consistency/defense to be a bigger threat, especially in best of 5.

Fair enough about the rest, it does seem I underestimated Gasquet's staying power in the top 10, let's see what happens next :p

Cereal Killer
03-29-2013, 05:28 PM
I'd guess Davis cup or Winston Salem

Yeah, but I didn't guess. Those are the new rankings on Monday if Gasquet loses today and I just substracted the points they gained in last year's clay season. Winston Salem isn't played until the week before the US Open and neither of them are counting their Davis Cup points.

timafi
03-29-2013, 07:12 PM
that was a bitch slap :hatoff:

Cereal Killer
03-29-2013, 07:53 PM
when one tournament which does count at the moment goes out of the rankings because it was one year ago, you can replace it with another one which doesn't count at the moment but happened less than 52 weeks ago : when Tsonga loses his points from Monte-Carlo, he will be allowed to replace them with his points from Winston Salem (or with his points from the Olympics Games if Tsonga wins 2 live rubbers in Davis cup then his Davis cup result gets better than his Olympic result and replaces it before Monte-Carlo)

True, I assumed MC would be counted automatically.

Gasquet has more points from Bejing than Davis Cup for now though, so you have to add at least 45 points, not 40 (they will also get at least 20 points from Madrid and Rome unless they withdraw with injury).

BackhandDTL
03-29-2013, 09:39 PM

/Late, but Gasquet had a lot to do with Berdych's poor play.

Between this match and Djoker/Haas, I'm realizing that most people don't seem to understand that one player's form can be contingent on his opponent's play. This is especially true in today's game, where straightforward baseline rallies and linear pattern play is the norm.

Gasquet did two things that effectively dismantled (quite the appropriate title) Berdych's game:

He grinded him out early in the match, and generally defended well against Berdych's big shots to make him try and end points.

And secondly, he did well to take the initiative by moving Berdych around frequently, and used a variety of spins and angles to do so.

All in all, he did well to keep Berdych moving and keep him from getting behind the ball, thus disrupting his play.

Of course, in MTF terms, Gasquet simply pushed, and Berdych played like crap.

Ben D.
03-30-2013, 01:03 PM
True, I assumed MC would be counted automatically.

Gasquet has more points from Bejing than Davis Cup for now though, so you have to add at least 45 points, not 40 (they will also get at least 20 points from Madrid and Rome unless they withdraw with injury).

Its very funny that it seems unbearable to some that Gasquet outranks Tsonga. I think it will happen.

yuri27
03-30-2013, 05:08 PM
Its very funny that it seems unbearable to some that Gasquet outranks Tsonga. I think it will happen.

I hope that Gasquet has other objectives than only outrank Tsonga...for example, winning something better than an ATP 250 and making a Slam Final (Tsonga has done that, not Gasquet).