Is David Ferrer able to take the title in Miami ? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Is David Ferrer able to take the title in Miami ?

Marcoo
03-28-2013, 02:59 PM
I know there are still semi finals around the corner, but If Ferrer wins against Tommy Haas, will he be able to win in the final as well and take the title ?

Li Ching Yuen
03-28-2013, 03:00 PM
Bet your life on it.

TigerTim
03-28-2013, 03:01 PM
As long as he avoids Murray then yes

Certinfy
03-28-2013, 03:01 PM
If Murray makes the final? No chance.

ProdigyEng
03-28-2013, 03:02 PM
The thought of Ferrer winning 2 out the last 3 masters makes me :hysteric:

emotion
03-28-2013, 03:02 PM
He's not playing well, Haas might beat him.

He always has chances when he plays Murray, but frequently chokes them away. He's playing worse this year though, I think Murray (and maybe even Berdych) could beat him

August
03-28-2013, 03:09 PM
Well possible. Murray should be the only threat for him on slow HCs and Pics ain't afraid of Muzz, RG '11 showed that. Yeah, slow HC is much better surface for Andy than clay but in his peak form, David should be able to outgrind him on a slow HC.

Unfortunately, Ferrer's form hasn't been as consistent as last year, he can still lose to any player remaining in Miami.

ProdigyEng
03-28-2013, 03:11 PM
Well possible. Murray should be the only threat for him on slow HCs and Pics ain't afraid of Muzz, RG '11 showed that. Yeah, slow HC is much better surface for Andy than clay but in his peak form, David should be able to outgrind him on a slow HC.

Unfortunately, Ferrer's form hasn't been as consistent as last year, he can still lose to any player remaining in Miami.

Or maybe Murray is afraid of clay :p

Moozza
03-28-2013, 03:13 PM

Ferrer should beat Murray on a hard court? Wtf am I reading?

gorgo1986
03-28-2013, 03:17 PM
Honestly if Haas plays the same way he has this week, Haas will beat him in two fairly easy sets.

Federer in 2
03-28-2013, 03:20 PM
Of course he is. Doesn't really matter to me that much if he beats Haas, but my money is on Ferrer in this match. Once he is in the final, he would be the clear favotire against either of Berdych, Cilic or Gasquet. Murray would most likely beat him, but David has a way better chance against Murray than against Federer, Nadal or Djokovic, so even in that case there's hope.

sportstennis
03-28-2013, 03:27 PM
who care?

nolesfan2011
03-28-2013, 03:39 PM
no because Haas will beat him

TheShowMustGoOn
03-28-2013, 03:42 PM
Murray has it wrapped up unfortunately.

Chris Kuerten
03-28-2013, 03:43 PM
If he plays his best he can trouble Murray on HC, but his form doesn't indicate that will happen. Against the other three he's obviously still a favorite, despite his form.

Topspindoctor
03-28-2013, 04:00 PM
Anyone but Mugray winning is fine with me

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App (http://www.verticalsports.com/mobile)

Moozza
03-28-2013, 04:02 PM
Anyone but Mugray winning is fine with me

That's a shame as you are going to be very disappointed in that case.

Newcomer
03-28-2013, 04:03 PM
No, but he can vulture it.
If Ferrer take it, ATP tour should be closed.

3DGNumberOneFan
03-28-2013, 04:29 PM
Berdych and Murray will beat him if he gets passed Haas

Chris Kuerten
03-28-2013, 04:42 PM
Berdych and Murray will beat him if he gets passed HaasBerdych was lucky to beat titans like Gimeno-Traver and Falla, lol.

henke007
03-28-2013, 05:08 PM
I hope so.

Mountaindewslave
03-28-2013, 05:57 PM
doubt Davidddd can beat Murray on hardcourt but Haas in current form certainly can as well as possibly Berdych
frankly he better watch out (Andy) against Cilic today who's in good form

derstatic
03-28-2013, 06:19 PM
Sure he can. Won't be easy though. I have a feeling this will be where Haas runs out of gas. Ferru in three v. Haas. As said before Murray is the main threath on a slow hc. Should routine Gasquet, can beat Berd who hasn't been great, should beat Cilic. Muzz can do everything Ferru can, just a little hit better on this surface, any surface except clay tbh.

arod3425
03-28-2013, 06:28 PM
Ferrer to crush mugs for a SECOND masters title in less than 6 months. :worship:

Topspindoctor
03-28-2013, 06:31 PM
Ferrer to crush mugs for a SECOND masters title in less than 6 months. :worship:

Yeah and he didn't even have to beat big 3 in order to win it. Legend, this Ferrer, real #4 :bowdown:

MTwEeZi
03-28-2013, 06:33 PM
Forget Gulbis, Federer, and Del Potro. It's all about Fognini, Melzer, and Haas.

The real #4 doesn't need any of Nadull's fluke draws. :bowdown:

rocketassist
03-28-2013, 06:47 PM
If he avoids Murray yes, although hopefully Hass does the deed anyway.

MuzzahLovah
03-28-2013, 06:50 PM
If Murray goes out to Cilic or Berdych, almost definitely.

Allez
03-28-2013, 06:57 PM
If Ferrer wins then all is lost. I respect the guy, but he cannot be allowed to win such a prestigious tournament. This era would become a laughing stock.

Sunset of Age
03-28-2013, 08:26 PM
I won't at all mind to see Ferrer take this title, but there's just one guy left in the tournament who I'd rather see taking it...

Melzer showed yesterday that Ferrer is vulnerable and he hasn't been playing at his best level so far in 2013. I bet Haas got that message too. But still, it's Ferrer, and he's damn hard to beat for anyone not in Top 4-5, so we'll have to wait and see.

madmax
03-28-2013, 08:39 PM
not as long as he doesn't have to play a clown like Janowicz in the final

Thunderfish8
03-28-2013, 08:40 PM
Of course he's able to. Of the top 4, Murray is his best shot at pulling it off.

However, just because he CAN do it does not mean he WILL do it.
He's had chances to play Murray in Masters 1000 finals and has not capitalized once.

Sophitia36
03-28-2013, 11:10 PM

My thoughts exactly. Can he take the title? Of course he can. But will he take the title? Well, I'll say the same thing as August: he is very inconsistent at the moment, so I will never be reassured until it's over. In his current form, I'm afraid of almost any player. If he plays near his 2012 level, he should be able to beat everyone and even possibly Murray. But if he plays the same tennis that he played against Melzer, and the "big awakening" never happens, he might lose to Haas/will probably lose against Berdych/will certainly lose against Murray. Basically.

rocketassist
03-28-2013, 11:27 PM
Off clay he is 1-6 against Muzz and his only win came against a crocked Andy who withdrew from WTF the next day. I wouldn't be too confident if I was a Ferrer fan I'm afraid, although Miami's conditions favour him in the match-up.

Topspindoctor
03-28-2013, 11:30 PM
Off clay he is 1-6 against Muzz and his only win came against a crocked Andy who withdrew from WTF the next day. I wouldn't be too confident if I was a Ferrer fan I'm afraid, although Miami's conditions favour him in the match-up.

How do you figure that? Both are pushers with Mandy being better/faster/younger pusher. I think he would have the advantage this isn't clay where he is hopeless, plus he win Miami before :shrug:

rocketassist
03-28-2013, 11:32 PM
How do you figure that? Both are pushers with Mandy being better/faster/younger pusher. I think he would have the advantage this isn't clay where he is hopeless, plus he win Miami before :shrug:

Murray defeats Ferrer by serving better and also bossing the majority of the points. On courts like IW/Miami he doesn't hit through the court like he does at even the AO or medium paced courts whereas Ferrer's loopy spinny forehand suits this court like a duck to water.

MIMIC
03-28-2013, 11:48 PM
Djoker lost. Fed's not there and neither is Rafa.

Hell, why not?

BackhandDTL
03-28-2013, 11:55 PM
No. Too many good players still left in the draw.

BackhandDTL
03-28-2013, 11:59 PM
Of course he's able to. Of the top 4, Murray is his best shot at pulling it off.

Actually, most things would suggest that Nadal is on hard courts.

Chase Visa
03-29-2013, 12:31 AM
If Gasquet plays like he did against Berdych, yes.

pierricbross
03-29-2013, 12:48 AM
Ferrer is 3-1 over Berdych on hard-courts so a Berdych-Ferrer final would have seen Ferrer take the win. He is 7-1 over Gasquet on hard-courts, so no hope there either. Only Murray can beat Ferrer in the final. Haas could win as well, he hasn't played Ferrer since 2006 so in my opinion the h2h may as well be 0-0.

Haas has taken a set off Murray in each of their encounters (winning one match of three). It was back in 2008, but I'd say Haas is on a similar if not better level, as is Murray. So should be similar if they make the final (33% chance of Haas win, 100% of tough match).

Mark Lenders
03-29-2013, 03:21 AM
Ferrer is 3-1 over Berdych on hard-courts so a Berdych-Ferrer final would have seen Ferrer take the win. He is 7-1 over Gasquet on hard-courts, so no hope there either. Only Murray can beat Ferrer in the final. Haas could win as well, he hasn't played Ferrer since 2006 so in my opinion the h2h may as well be 0-0.

Haas has taken a set off Murray in each of their encounters (winning one match of three). It was back in 2008, but I'd say Haas is on a similar if not better level, as is Murray. So should be similar if they make the final (33% chance of Haas win, 100% of tough match).

Using this logic, I say we should give the USO 2009 title to Federer - I mean, he did lead 6-0 H2H over Del Potro before the match so he definitely won that final regardless of the actual result. Also Djokovic is the real Indian Wells champion, I mean Murray lead Del Potro 4-0 on hardcourts so he definitely won that QF, Murray is Djokovic's pigeon so Djokovic won the semi, and Djokovic is 11-5 against Nadal on hardcourts so he won the final.

Past results always determine future outcomes with absolute certainty as we all know.

Gris
03-29-2013, 03:31 AM
Using this logic, I say we should give the USO 2009 title to Federer - I mean, he did lead 6-0 H2H over Del Potro before the match so he definitely won that final regardless of the actual result. Also Djokovic is the real Indian Wells champion, I mean Murray lead Del Potro 4-0 on hardcourts so he definitely won that QF, Murray is Djokovic's pigeon so Djokovic won the semi, and Djokovic is 11-5 against Nadal on hardcourts so he won the final.

Past results always determine future outcomes with absolute certainty as we all know.

+1

Future is not based on past stats.

pierricbross
03-29-2013, 05:07 AM
Ferrer can beat Murray, definitely, heck Gasquet could beat Murray 1 and 2, he's capable. With US09, I remember people saying DelPo was ready to beat Fed at the Australian Open and he got double bagelled. Taking all the factors into account, Ferrer beating Murray is not likely, Berdych beating Ferrer after beating Murray would have been possible, but he still would not have been the favourite at all; just like Gasquet beating Berdych was incredibly unlikely - but it happened. So no I don't base everything on H2H, but it's a factor, better than taking a shot in the dark, even if only by a little.

Cereal Killer
03-29-2013, 05:10 AM
Ferrer can beat Murray, definitely, heck Gasquet could beat Murray 1 and 2, he's capable. With US09, I remember people saying DelPo was ready to beat Fed at the Australian Open and he got double bagelled. Taking all the factors into account, Ferrer beating Murray is not likely, Berdych beating Ferrer after beating Murray would have been possible, but he still would not have been the favourite at all; just like Gasquet beating Berdych was incredibly unlikely - but it happened. So no I don't base everything on H2H, but it's a factor, better than taking a shot in the dark, even if only by a little.

It really wasn't. Gasquet leads their H2H 5-3 now.

romismak
03-29-2013, 06:22 AM
I think Ferrer-Murray F again, but no way Ferrer will win. about stamina - speed, ROS they are the same maybe, but the difference is power and serve - advantage Murray - Murray can save himself down 0-30 with 2 unreturnables for example, Ferrer can´t do it - not vs returner like Murray. Than in rallies Murray has more firepower, he is not using ig - being not so agressive how he could be, but in neutral rallies if Murray goes for ,,bigger, BH or FH he will have upper hand in neutral rally and so on. Ferrer is smaller version of Murray with less firepower and worse serve - otherwise they both can run behind baseline forever - in best of 3 match fitness won´t be issue anyway.

Marcoo
03-29-2013, 09:47 AM
Can't wait to see how Ferrer does in the semi with Haas. If he wins, the final will be so hard against Murray :)

mooncreek
03-29-2013, 01:21 PM
If Murray is in the final, tough to see. If he's not, odds are very very good.

Sombrerero loco
03-29-2013, 03:11 PM
he cant beat murray here...on clay maybe but not here

Roy Emerson
03-29-2013, 04:49 PM
It will be hilarious if Ferrer becomes the only Spaniard(male) to win Miami. He is also the only Spaniard to win Bercy. :lol:

born_on_clay
03-30-2013, 08:28 AM
As for now I really hope he can and will :angel:

Ben D.
03-30-2013, 04:30 PM
Murray want to be #2 badly and gain something big after USO. Ferrer won't win.