If Haas wins the tournament.... [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

If Haas wins the tournament....

Dangermouse
03-28-2013, 01:23 PM
He can jump all the way up to 11th in the rankings.

What a fairytale that would be.

Newcomer
03-28-2013, 01:28 PM
strong era.

Moozza
03-28-2013, 01:30 PM
He won't win the tournament.

chalkdust
03-28-2013, 01:34 PM
He can jump all the way up to 11th in the rankings.

What a fairytale that would be.

I'd say "fairytale" would be an exaggeration, but it would be a a nice story for sure.

Topspindoctor
03-28-2013, 01:35 PM
The way Haas is playing you'd think this was a 250 event not masters. The prestige of Mugiami has totally gone down the drain this year and I don't expect it to recover any time soon. It's turned into another Paris or Shanghai where vultures like Ferrer and mugs like Murray pick up the scraps

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App (http://www.verticalsports.com/mobile)

Ivelina_P
03-28-2013, 01:35 PM
^^I love you almost as much as the reallife Moozza,you always put smile on my face :wavey:

chalkdust
03-28-2013, 01:41 PM
The way Haas is playing you'd think this was a 250 event not masters. The prestige of Mugiami has totally gone down the drain this year and I don't expect it to recover any time soon.

Would you say this is down to there being no gap in the schedule after Indian Wells, or is it just because it is the last hard court tournament before the clay season gets underway, or why else?

Alex999
03-28-2013, 02:12 PM
He won't win the tournament.
and how do you know that? he plays great. oh, sorry it's about Murray I guess :D

nole_no1
03-28-2013, 02:24 PM
strong era.

Original post

Topspindoctor
03-28-2013, 02:26 PM
Would you say this is down to there being no gap in the schedule after Indian Wells, or is it just because it is the last hard court tournament before the clay season gets underway, or why else?

Pretty much all those reasons plus horrible sticky courts, windy conditions and top players generally playing poorly, tanking or not participating.

abraxas21
03-28-2013, 02:33 PM
he won't. in fact, ferrer should beat him in 2

born_on_clay
03-28-2013, 02:56 PM
He won't make the final

chalkdust
03-28-2013, 03:44 PM
Pretty much all those reasons plus horrible sticky courts, windy conditions and top players generally playing poorly, tanking or not participating.

OK, but some of these things are factors that are not specific to the tournament, e.g. the fact that Fed is declining and running a light schedule, Rafa is nursing himself back a little bit, especially on hard courts. The wind - not sure how windy Miami is on average, but I think Indian Wells suffers a lot more from wind. Sticky courts: not sure exactly what you mean there. I guess Miami is definitely a humid place, but I have heard more complaints over the years about the courts at Indian Wells given how slow they are - suits Rafa though, I guess.

nolesfan2011
03-28-2013, 04:42 PM
if he does it will be great and well deserved

emotion
03-28-2013, 04:43 PM
Would be awesome if he did, not sure he can beat Murray if he plays well but he can anyone else

sportstennis
03-28-2013, 05:12 PM
greatest era

bjurra
03-28-2013, 05:15 PM
Ranking at the moment:

11 Cilic
12 Almagro
13 Simon
14 Monaco

It is not like Haas would look out of place if he rose to 11...

bjurra
03-28-2013, 05:16 PM
greatest era

Find me an era with no mugs ranked 11-20 and I will give you a medal.

Sunset of Age
03-28-2013, 05:39 PM
if he does it will be great and well deserved
+, Hell Yeah!

If he keeps up the level of playing he showed so far, it might even just happen. Fingers crossed.

Orka_n
03-28-2013, 05:44 PM
Just do it Tommy.

RIboy
03-28-2013, 05:57 PM
Just do it Tommy.

this slogan is ruined forever after that "Pistorius thing" :lol:

hallso
03-28-2013, 07:27 PM
The way Haas is playing you'd think this was a 250 event not masters. The prestige of Mugiami has totally gone down the drain this year and I don't expect it to recover any time soon. It's turned into another Paris or Shanghai where vultures like Ferrer and mugs like Murray pick up the scraps

still better level than this charity gala for Rafa in IW

SerialKillerToBe
03-28-2013, 07:31 PM

:superlol: Haas would get dominated by the Nadal of last IW

Topspindoctor
03-28-2013, 07:36 PM

Lol u mad Larry Ellison and Nadal are mates? When you are this legendary, people tend to admire you and want to be your friend. This Ellison is no fool, he knows that GOAT winning IW would inject much life and excitement into the 5th slam :shrug: Nadal gets proper respect there always main court, favourable schedule. That sort of respect comes with the territory :yeah:

Tiebreak100
03-28-2013, 07:47 PM
Lol u mad Larry Ellison and Nadal are mates? When you are this legendary, people tend to admire you and want to be your friend. This Ellison is no fool, he knows that GOAT winning IW would inject much life and excitement into the 5th slam :shrug: Nadal gets proper respect there always main court, favourable schedule. That sort of respect comes with the territory :yeah:

I am sure I read Nadal was staying at the pensioners house during the tournament? if so, that is wrong. From a rival player perspective, I suspect they would be deeply suspicious of this creepy friendship. From the perspective of the strangely young looking old man who runs the tournament, it is clearly bad manners to be whooping and cheering every time the Spaniard loops the ball 100 ft above the net and down the line for a winner.

Its bad form from both the old yin and the Spaniard. It needlessly throws into question the legitimacy of the win. I for one do not recognise his 'achievement'.

hallso
03-28-2013, 07:50 PM
I don't mind their friendship, I'm talking about just one real opponent for Nadal - Gulbis.
the rest? Roger "I don't like tennis anymore", Tomas "I'm too weak mentally to beat my Master, even when his form is 10th times worse than mine" and Juan "I would beat him easily, but I can't steal his 'great comeback'

Allez
03-28-2013, 07:56 PM
If Haas wins then perhaps it is not unrealistic to expect Fed to play until 2016 afterall...

MuzzahLovah
03-28-2013, 07:59 PM
MTF predicted his victory against Ferrer, which means he's not getting to final unfortunately.

HKz
03-28-2013, 08:00 PM

Once Rafa wins, Miami is suddenly a great event. Right now it is as stupid and pointless as Cincinnati, World Tour Finals and Paris Masters.

HKz
03-28-2013, 08:01 PM
If Haas wins then perhaps it is not unrealistic to expect Fed to play until 2016 afterall...

As if it was ever unrealistic?

Lugburz
03-28-2013, 08:03 PM

glory hunters fans would be disappointed, however real ones would be pleased to see their player play for as long as he can despite the lack of trophies.

MichaelKrep
03-28-2013, 10:13 PM
Would be awesome if he did, not sure he can beat Murray if he plays well but he can anyone else
He showed against Djokovic that if he comes out guns blazing, the advantages his opponent has in terms of stamina and endurance will be irrelevant. Accordingly, if the real Tommy comes out on court, he could beat Murray and do it in 2 as well.

Burrow
03-28-2013, 10:45 PM
He showed against Djokovic that if he comes out guns blazing, the advantages his opponent has in terms of stamina and endurance will be irrelevant. Accordingly, if the real Tommy comes out on court, he could beat Murray and do it in 2 as well.

I think he'd need to do it in 2. Players who are deficient in confidence in comparison to the top 4 have generally struggled when things get to the tail end of a match, and that's without talking about age which is also a similar scenario.

I remember thinking the same when Ljubicic was due to face Roddick in the Indian Wells 2010 final and it was all that was running through my head when Ljubicic was pegged back from something like 6-2 in the second set tie-break to 6-5. I think Ljubicic knew it too, I've never seen that look on his face before he hit that final big serve.

Burrow
03-28-2013, 10:47 PM

The thing is that Haas has maintained most of his abilities in technical shot production and especially movement. Federer has been steadily declining.

Allez
03-28-2013, 11:33 PM
The thing is that Haas has maintained most of his abilities in technical shot production and especially movement. Federer has been steadily declining.

I was afraid someone was going to say that...

MichaelKrep
03-28-2013, 11:38 PM
True, but Fed has been coming down from a much higher level to begin with, a level which is almost impossible to keep well into your 30s, especially in the modern game.
There's no reason why he can't get to a level, similar to where Haas is right now, and keep it for a while. With Fed the biggest challenge will be staying motivated. He has won almost everything these is to win, after all.

Yolita
03-28-2013, 11:40 PM
I am sure I read Nadal was staying at the pensioners house during the tournament? if so, that is wrong. From a rival player perspective, I suspect they would be deeply suspicious of this creepy friendship. From the perspective of the strangely young looking old man who runs the tournament, it is clearly bad manners to be whooping and cheering every time the Spaniard loops the ball 100 ft above the net and down the line for a winner.

Its bad form from both the old yin and the Spaniard. It needlessly throws into question the legitimacy of the win. I for one do not recognise his 'achievement'.

I wouldn't go as far as questioning the legitimacy of Rafa's win... He won the tournament by beating all the opponents he had to beat, playing great tennis.

But it is certainly very bad form for a tournament owner to show such an obvious preference for one of the players. Bad form.

Yolita
03-28-2013, 11:47 PM
I think he'd need to do it in 2. Players who are deficient in confidence in comparison to the top 4 have generally struggled when things get to the tail end of a match, and that's without talking about age which is also a similar scenario.

I remember thinking the same when Ljubicic was due to face Roddick in the Indian Wells 2010 final and it was all that was running through my head when Ljubicic was pegged back from something like 6-2 in the second set tie-break to 6-5. I think Ljubicic knew it too, I've never seen that look on his face before he hit that final big serve.

I remember that match really well. I think Tommy has the same air of determination that Ljubicic had then, he really wants this title. And if he plays like he played vs Novak and Gilles, and Murray plays like he's been playing up to now, Tommy could definitely beat Andy.

Let's see what happens at the SF and the last QF, though... :)