2013 Miami Semi-final: Tommy Haas versus David Ferrer [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

2013 Miami Semi-final: Tommy Haas versus David Ferrer

pierricbross
03-28-2013, 03:06 AM
Third time in the semi's for Ferrer, first time for Haas.

Road to semi-finals:

David Ferrer
R1: Bye
R2: W/O (Tursonov)
R3: def. Fognini 6-1 7-5
R4: def. Nishikori 6-4 6-2
QF: def. Melzer 4-6 6-3 6-0

Tommy Haas
R1: Bye
R2: def. Sijsling 6-0 5-7 6-3
R3: def. Dolgopolov 6-3 6-2
R4: def. Djokovic 6-2 6-4
QF: def. Simon 6-3 6-1

http://i48.tinypic.com/b6bi1g.png

hipolymer
03-28-2013, 03:06 AM
Definitely Ferrer.

Matthew2408
03-28-2013, 03:07 AM
I think Ferrer could edge it.

MichaelKrep
03-28-2013, 03:08 AM
Vulture will be shaking. Hope that Tommy can keep up the great run, he didn't have to stay on court long today, so he'll have plenty in the tank for Ferrer.

Popo21
03-28-2013, 03:08 AM
If Ferrer plays like he did today, Tommy will win easily

MuzzahLovah
03-28-2013, 03:11 AM
I'm starting to believe in the Haas war machine. Which probably means he loses to Ferrer.

SheepleBuster
03-28-2013, 03:12 AM
Ferrer will probably win but I hope Haas does. It'd be awesome if he wins this tournament.

Xristos
Hopefully Haas.

emotion
Ferrer loves this match up, I'm sure. But he's playing rather poorly and Haas is on fire. The way they played today, Ferrer might actually be outrallied. And if that happens, he's screwed as Haas will come to net and has a big serve. But if Ferrer can get the backhand errors under control, than he can probably wear Haas down.

At both their average levels, Ferrer in 2. Based on this week, Haas in 2. I think Haas will win the first set but I'm not sure what after that.

redshift36188
03-28-2013, 03:14 AM
Tommy in 2, doesn't matter how good Ferrer will play.

delboy
03-28-2013, 03:17 AM
Would like Tommy to win but it aint gonna happen. Ferrer will win fairly comfortably.

leng jai
03-28-2013, 03:19 AM
If Haas replicates his form he'll be in with a great chance. He out rallied Simon and he'll do similar things to Ferrer. The serve is on the money this tournament which will be a big factor. I haven't seen Ferrer play since the AO though.

gorgo1986
03-28-2013, 03:19 AM
Honestly Haas will win 6-3 6-2

Playing 100 X better than Ferrer.

delboy
03-28-2013, 03:21 AM
I haven't seen Ferrer play since the AO though.

If you have seen him play once then you know how he is gonna play.

blackwell
03-28-2013, 03:22 AM
But Vulture smelt a cakewalk already.:facepalm:
Murray is injured, Only Tommy (the warrior of light) can beat the Dark Forces

pierricbross
03-28-2013, 03:25 AM
Mods really don't like using nick-names in thread titles. :(

GrimbleGromble
03-28-2013, 03:27 AM
Haas to send the vulture back to his nest.

Good for tennis, good for humanity

Topspindoctor
03-28-2013, 03:30 AM
Ferrer in semis of masters. Yuck.

leng jai
03-28-2013, 03:31 AM
Ferrer in semis of masters. Yuck.

Yuckier than Haas? Or are they both so yucky the difference is negligible?

Mark Lenders
03-28-2013, 03:32 AM
Haas needs to save tennis here, desperately. He is an all-court player with great variety of shots and strategies, probably more so than anyone on tour right now.

Ferrer, on the other hand, is a baseline robot. No variety, no touch, no nothing - his game consists of running the marathon on a tennis court and repeating the same pattern of play over and over and over, ad nauseum. Never a different strategy, never a different spin, never a different angle - you could program a robot to play exactly like Ferrer does.

Unfortunately in this era and conditions, the robot is more likely to prevail, but hopefully Haas can play his best tennis and his variety makes the robot short circuit, thus saving tennis.

Lugburz
03-28-2013, 03:32 AM
Ferrer is tough match-up for Haas. However in their last encounter, Tommy was no where near its current form.

I had a chance to take a look at Ferrer-Melzer match, and by it I really think Tommy has a big chance here. His confidence is very strong, his daughter with him on the court, outrallied Simon many times today... Yeah I think Tommy can do it!

leng jai
03-28-2013, 03:33 AM
Haas needs to save tennis here, desperately. He is an all-court player with great variety of shots and strategies, probably more so than anyone on tour right now.

Ferrer, on the other hand, is a baseline robot. No variety, no touch, no nothing - his game consists of running the marathon on a tennis court and repeating the same pattern of play over and over and over, ad nauseum. Never a different strategy, never a different spin, never a different angle - you could program a robot to play exactly like Ferrer does.

Unfortunately in this era and conditions, the robot is more likely to prevail, but hopefully Haas can play his best tennis and his variety makes the robot short circuit, thus saving tennis.

Minus the loaded language, this is a pretty accurate summation.

Kyle_Johansen
03-28-2013, 03:35 AM
The last time they played was 5 years ago so not much to go on there. I'll say Haas in 3.

Travod
03-28-2013, 03:36 AM
Well now that the last guy I like is out, I'm rooting for Haas to the end. Destroy Murray please.

Han Solo
03-28-2013, 03:36 AM
Yeah, I'm happy to see Haas with his brand of tennis win a few important games and go deep. But Ferrer will probably end his indian summer here. Too consistent, too relentless for Haas, I feel.

It's academic anyway - neither have much of a chance against Murray in the final...

rocketassist
03-28-2013, 03:38 AM
Yeah, I'm happy to see Haas with his brand of tennis win a few important games and go deep. But Ferrer will probably end his indian summer here. Too consistent, too relentless for Haas, I feel.

It's academic anyway - neither have much of a chance against Murray in the final...

Haas-Murray would be lovely stuff.

Lugburz
03-28-2013, 03:39 AM

If you watched Ferrer-Melzer, you wouldn't have said Ferrer is too consistent.

redshift36188
03-28-2013, 03:39 AM
If you have seen him play once then you know how he is gonna play.
Post of the year! :worship:

leng jai
03-28-2013, 03:40 AM

On form Haas is the winner of this tournament and would give Murray a huge test in the final unless his level dropped off dramatically.

Kyle_Johansen
03-28-2013, 03:43 AM
Murray has to get by Berdych first.

redshift36188
03-28-2013, 03:44 AM
Yeh, but I'd prefer to see Haas-Murray as well.

rocketassist
03-28-2013, 03:46 AM
Yeh, but I'd prefer to see Haas-Murray as well.

I honestly wouldn't mind Muzza losing that one.

leng jai
03-28-2013, 03:49 AM
At least Haas is demolishing Ferrer in the career match wins stat.

nick the greek
03-28-2013, 03:49 AM
But Vulture smelt a cakewalk already.:facepalm:
Murray is injured, Only Tommy (the warrior of light) can beat the Dark Forces

Haas to send the vulture back to his nest.

Good for tennis, good for humanity

Ferrer is tough match-up for Haas. However in their last encounter, Tommy was no where near its current form.

I had a chance to take a look at Ferrer-Melzer match, and by it I really think Tommy has a big chance here. His confidence is very strong, his daughter with him on the court, outrallied Simon many times today... Yeah I think Tommy can do it!
Vamos Ferru.:)

Kyle_Johansen
03-28-2013, 03:50 AM
I don't see how anyone can say Ferrer is better than Haas overall as far as their careers go. Not to mention there's a huge gap in talent.

Han Solo
03-28-2013, 03:50 AM
If you watched Ferrer-Melzer, you wouldn't have said Ferrer is too consistent.

No, you're right. I missed that match and tend to avoid Ferrer's matches if I can help it. Last time I saw him play was I think AO when Almagro spontaneously combusted. I can see him play himself into some sort of form against Haas, though.

On form Haas is the winner of this tournament and would give Murray a huge test in the final unless his level dropped off dramatically.

Hmmm. He's playing well, no doubt. But chances are Murray will raise his game for a Masters final. Assuming he gets there, of course.

Well, I hope you are right. Would love it for Haas to win the fifth major at his age. I have really enjoyed watching him play these last two matches.

Dark Knight
03-28-2013, 03:51 AM
Haas in 3 hopefully. :)

PorkBarrel
03-28-2013, 03:53 AM
I honestly wouldn't mind Muzza losing that one.
Same here. Haas is playing the better tennis...

Alex999
03-28-2013, 03:56 AM
I really hope Haas takes this. I love Pic's personality but don't like his tennis that much. I love Tommy's tennis skills. he is simply that good. go Tommy :)

Mark Lenders
03-28-2013, 03:56 AM
I don't see how anyone can say Ferrer is better than Haas overall as far as their careers go. Not to mention there's a huge gap in talent.

This is not saying much though. Ferrer is an awful player, epitomizes all that is wrong with the current era of tennis and its conditions: robotic baseliner repeating the same patterns over and over, running a marathon on court to win every point... brawn over brains basically, thriving in this slow court era. He's exactly what tennis needs to be saved from.

Topspindoctor
03-28-2013, 04:03 AM
Yuckier than Haas? Or are they both so yucky the difference is negligible?

Both are not great players for sure, but Ferrer had been overstepping his bounds as of late, needs to be put back in his place and even if an old mug like Haas had to do it, then so be it

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App (http://www.verticalsports.com/mobile)

Lugburz
03-28-2013, 04:04 AM
Both are not great players for sure, but Ferrer had been overstepping his bounds as of late, needs to be put back in his place and even if an old mug like Haas had to do it, then so be it

:hearts:

rocketassist
03-28-2013, 04:04 AM

I thought you liked Ferrer?

Topspindoctor
03-28-2013, 04:05 AM
Ferrer stealing ranking spot from Nadal has earned him my ire, I don't actually care which mediocre clown wins this SF

Dark Knight
03-28-2013, 04:06 AM

He hates Ferrer since he went ahead of Nadal in rankings.

Topspindoctor
03-28-2013, 04:07 AM

I respect what he has achieved for sure but looking at the big picture he can end causing RG QF for Nadal to be Nole which is unacceptable in my book. He needs to know his place which is 5-8 player in the world which is massively respectable position. He does not deserve #4 ranking

rocketassist
03-28-2013, 04:09 AM
I respect what he has achieved for sure but looking at the big picture he can end causing RG QF for Nadal to be Nole which is unacceptable in my book. He needs to know his place which is 5-8 player in the world which is massively respectable position. He does not deserve #4 ranking

I agree, although if you want Nadal to be #1 again taking Nole out in the QF will ensure the Serb loses ranking points.

Topspindoctor
03-28-2013, 04:09 AM
I am ok with David really. Winning MM events, an odd slam QF that's fine. But he shouldn't be messing with the ranking of someone he struggles to win games against

Topspindoctor
03-28-2013, 04:11 AM
I agree, although if you want Nadal to be #1 again taking Nole out in the QF will ensure the Serb loses ranking points.

I don't want Djokovic wearing out Nadal in QF he does not have the magic egg :shrug:

Dark Knight
03-28-2013, 04:15 AM
LOL how costly is this egg thing?? i mean every player should buy it if it's that effective :D

cmoss
03-28-2013, 04:19 AM
Ferrer in top 5 is a joke.

He's just a carpet for the top guys.His only weapon is his rock solid game and consistency.

Topspindoctor
03-28-2013, 04:25 AM
Ferrer in top 5 is a joke.

He's just a carpet for the top guys.His only weapon is his rock solid game and consistency.

Yes he is like Caroline Wozniacki of ATP tour, except ugly to look at. He makes an excellent mug filter and test to big 3 from his 5-8 ranking without the overall disruption of real matches. Right now he is one spot too high and everyone knows it.

Yolita
03-28-2013, 04:58 AM
If they both play like they did today, Haas will easily beat Ferrer.

It remains to be seen if Tommy can produce 3 outstanding performances in a row.

I hope he can. :D

ariel2
03-28-2013, 05:03 AM
Haas in 3 - as much as I admire Ferrer's doggedness, I have my doubts if he can beat Haas when the latter plays like he's capable of.

iramlatif
03-28-2013, 05:15 AM
I'm really happy for all of Tommy's success for far, and I hope he has success the rest of 2013. But honestly I think Ferru can outrun him on court...I think we'll be seeing Ferru in the finals. :)

Slade
03-28-2013, 05:31 AM
Haas 6-4 2-6 6-4

3DGNumberOneFan
03-28-2013, 05:32 AM
For the love of god Tommy win this.

leng jai
03-28-2013, 05:34 AM
Being asked to save the sport twice in three days is a tough task.

BroTree123
03-28-2013, 05:39 AM
Fuck off Vulture :o Haas in 2 hopefully.

Johnny Groove
03-28-2013, 05:41 AM
Come on, Tommy!

MuzzahLovah
03-28-2013, 06:07 AM
I've changed my mind. Haas will lose easily and MTF will go crazy. I'm not rooting for this, just expecting it.

MuzzahLovah
03-28-2013, 06:12 AM
Murray has to get by Berdych first.

Also Cilic. I take nothing for granted with Murray.

Allez
03-28-2013, 06:15 AM
Ferrer is a horrible match up for Haas.

Haas is a perfect match up for Ferrer.

Ferrer wins in 2.

Murray had better reach the final if anything is to be salvaged from this sub par premier event.

MatchFederer
03-28-2013, 06:20 AM
Come on Haas, make your dream a reality. Make Ferrer have to work for 3 sets instead of 2.

hvo
03-28-2013, 06:47 AM
Ferrer is not looking good at all but he will grind Hass down I'm afraid. Just hope that Hass can be aggressive and keeps Ferrer running like Novak did to him in AO.

Slasher1985
03-28-2013, 06:54 AM
The H2H is irrelevant here, since like they've last met like a century ago. The way Haas played against Nole and Simon shows us how Haas deserved to be Comeback Player of 2012. Now it's a matter of Haas keeping to this form or being already too tired to continue on the same elegant manner. If he does continue, there is absolutely nothing Ferrer can do to win the match. I'm rooting for Ferrer in 3, but hoping for Haas in 2.

acionescu
03-28-2013, 06:59 AM
I hope tennis loses :D

Andi-M
03-28-2013, 07:23 AM
Pics in 3 losing first set.

Chase Visa
03-28-2013, 07:31 AM
Heart says Haas, gut says Ferrer. Ferrer in 3.

Chase Visa
03-28-2013, 07:33 AM
The H2H is irrelevant here, since like they've last met like a century ago. The way Haas played against Nole and Simon shows us how Haas deserved to be Comeback Player of 2012. Now it's a matter of Haas keeping to this form or being already too tired to continue on the same elegant manner. If he does continue, there is absolutely nothing Ferrer can do to win the match. I'm rooting for Ferrer in 3, but hoping for Haas in 2.

Plus when they played Haas was in poor form in their matches. So I think the H2H is misleading too.

se7en
03-28-2013, 08:24 AM
Come on Tommy, save this event from becoming the worst of the year. Take out all the trash along the way.

GSMnadal
03-28-2013, 08:28 AM
Kämpf Tommy, kämpf! Don't let this guy get a shot at potentially another masters title without facing a top 10 player

Newcomer
03-28-2013, 09:57 AM
My signature now in danger.
All tennis fans should support German veteran.
Hayle Gebreselasse was so bad against Melzer. Tommy form>>>>Melzer form. All hope for you mister Haas.
But only in 2 sets. If vulture will grind match to 3rd set, haas has no chance

STUHL
03-28-2013, 09:59 AM
Its time for the fairytale. Anyone who gets in Haasi's way in this tournament needs to be beaten. Him winning the title would be so deserved after all this injurys. Go for it Tommy!

TBkeeper
03-28-2013, 10:19 AM
With all my heart i hope it is Haas !!!

nick the greek
03-28-2013, 10:23 AM
Kämpf Tommy, kämpf! Don't let this guy get a shot at potentially another masters title without facing a top 10 player
Vamos Ferru Vamos, go for 2nd masters title.

RIboy
03-28-2013, 10:30 AM
D6mPMxc9aOU

ffs, Haas is a Vulturetard :cuckoo:

Elaka Farmor
03-28-2013, 10:34 AM
If Ferrer plays like he did today, Tommy will win easily

This! Ferrer has no weapons against 400% boosting Atomic Haas

Chris Kuerten
03-28-2013, 10:58 AM
D6mPMxc9aOU

ffs, Haas is a Vulturetard :cuckoo:Everyone with a brain recognizes Ferrer for the great player he is, I'll take Haas' words over any of the droolers here :wavey:This! Ferrer has no weapons against 400% boosting Atomic HaasThat's why he beat him on carpet, the fastest surface on tour, right? And that's why he had more winners than Melzer yesterday, an 'amazing shot maker' :wavey:?

Orka_n
03-28-2013, 11:02 AM
This title is Tommy's to lose. Do it, old man.

Wouldn't mind Ferrer reaching the final either though.

Thunderfish8
03-28-2013, 11:02 AM
I'm scared for David. Melzer shouldn't have been a hard win for him in the first place, and Tommy is a beast on a whole other level.

My heart tells me David in 3.
My gut tells me Haas in 2. :sad:

henke007
03-28-2013, 11:07 AM
Ferrer will troll Lenders and other haters in 3 sets

Burrow
03-28-2013, 11:15 AM
Everyone with a brain recognizes Ferrer for the great player he is, I'll take Haas' words over any of the droolers here :wavey:That's why he beat him on carpet, the fastest surface on tour, right? And that's why he had more winners than Melzer yesterday, an 'amazing shot maker' :wavey:?

I'm not disagreeing with your overall point but the reason these players like Ferrer, Djokovic, Murray and Nadal have more winners than attacking opponents is because their defensive skills are far superior to those players, making it much easier to hit winners.

Newcomer
03-28-2013, 11:20 AM
I'm not disagreeing with your overall point but the reason these players like Ferrer, Djokovic, Murray and Nadal have more winners than attacking opponents is because their defensive skills are far superior to those players, making it much easier to hit winners.
Ferrer in one line with Djokoivc, Nadal, Murray :haha:
Ferrer has only one shot to produce winner - crosscourt spinned FH. And he can repeat that shot 100000 times per rally. Can you say the same thing about even Murray?

Chris Kuerten
03-28-2013, 11:22 AM
I'm not disagreeing with your overall point but the reason these players like Ferrer, Djokovic, Murray and Nadal have more winners than attacking opponents is because their defensive skills are far superior to those players, making it much easier to hit winners.Correct, but that's the whole essence of the game, it doesn't matter how does winners get there.Ferrer in one line with Djokoivc, Nadal, Murray :haha:
Ferrer has only one shot to produce winner - crosscourt spinned FH. And he can repeat that shot 100000 times per rally. Can you say the same thing about even Murray?Murray in one line with Djokovic and Nadal :facepalm:

Deathless Mortal
03-28-2013, 11:24 AM
This title is Tommy's to lose. Do it, old man.

Wouldn't mind Ferrer reaching the final either though.

+1

Burrow
03-28-2013, 11:25 AM
Ferrer in one line with Djokoivc, Nadal, Murray :haha:
Ferrer has only one shot to produce winner - crosscourt spinned FH. And he can repeat that shot 100000 times per rally. Can you say the same thing about even Murray?

Murray has a few attributes which can allow him to hit winners on a more regular basis, but he doesn't often use these attributes.

Correct, but that's the whole essence of the game, it doesn't matter how does winners get there.

True, but it's not an honest representation of the style of a player.

Moozza
03-28-2013, 11:33 AM

Yeah a player trying their best to be ranked as high a possible is a legit reason to hate them. You do realise his sole purpose in tennis is not to help Nadal get as easy draws as possible?

As for those match, Ferrer in straights.

Dangermouse
03-28-2013, 12:12 PM
Tommy Haas, at 35 years old, is playing the tournament of his career here.

Haas in straight sets.

Time Violation
03-28-2013, 12:21 PM
Ferrer may not have a chance against top 4, but those below him better watch out... Ferrer in straights here

HDW
03-28-2013, 12:49 PM
Haas to save tennis

EnriqueIG8
03-28-2013, 01:07 PM
Mods really don't like using nick-names in thread titles. :(

Come on, you had a ridiculous thread title. If you want to use those nicknames use them in the first post, not in the thread title.

Certinfy
03-28-2013, 01:16 PM
Don't think I'll ever root harder for Haas in my life.

Haas in 2 epic sets.

born_on_clay
03-28-2013, 02:03 PM
Ferrer in 3

sexybeast
03-28-2013, 02:07 PM
Can someone explain to me why Ferrer is a bad matchup for Haas? I like to think Haas is more similar to Federer than any other player on tour and vice versa, 2 allcourt players with onehanded backhands and alot of flair and elegance in their game. They both bother Djokovic alot, Nadal is a nightmare matchup for both, but why is Ferrer a dream matchup for Federer while a bad one or HAas?

Alex999
03-28-2013, 02:48 PM
Can someone explain to me why Ferrer is a bad matchup for Haas? I like to think Haas is more similar to Federer than any other player on tour and vice versa, 2 allcourt players with onehanded backhands and alot of flair and elegance in their game. They both bother Djokovic alot, Nadal is a nightmare matchup for both, but why is Ferrer a dream matchup for Federer while a bad one or HAa s?
there is no explanation. Haas is simply a much better player. I admire to Pics for what he has achieved so far but comparing to Haas he is blah... it's just silly to be honest with you. Tommy, in my book is still a nutcase and always will be. I hope he will win Miami, and based on his skills he should've won a slam.

TigerTim
03-28-2013, 02:55 PM
Ferrer in 3, 5-7, 6-4, 6-3

Marcoo
03-28-2013, 02:56 PM
No other ways, David Ferrer to take it in two sets ;)

Lugburz
03-28-2013, 02:58 PM
Can someone explain to me why Ferrer is a bad matchup for Haas? I like to think Haas is more similar to Federer than any other player on tour and vice versa, 2 allcourt players with onehanded backhands and alot of flair and elegance in their game. They both bother Djokovic alot, Nadal is a nightmare matchup for both, but why is Ferrer a dream matchup for Federer while a bad one or HAas?

They only played 2 matches and last one all the way back in 2008. So there's really no room to say he is bad matchup for Tommy.

However Tommy has bad h2h with defensive players, except Simon. Always loosing patience creating UE's, in that sense Ferrer is a bad matchup.
But Tommy improved mentally, his game is more consistent, outplaying both Novak and Simon from the baseline.
This consistent Tommy can easily beat Ferrer any day, and I hope that will be the case, 'cause his last 2 matches have been simply amazing.

Federer almost never had inconsistency problems or lack of patience during the matches vs Ferrer, which Tommy basically lacks when it comes to matches with long rallies etc.

Priam
03-28-2013, 03:22 PM
No one can stop Haas 4.0. This feels like Legenda @ IW '10.

VamosRafaNadal
03-28-2013, 04:05 PM
Please Tommy win this one :D My heart is with him but my head says that Ferrer will win in three.

Sapeod
03-28-2013, 09:25 PM
I look forward to this match. Should be great if they both play well. As a Murray fan I realise that an in form Haas can be incredibly dangerous and I'm not worried too much of an in form Ferrer on this surface, so hopefully Ferrer wins. He'll get some extra points too that'll make up for his blunder in Indian Wells.

Lugburz
03-28-2013, 09:29 PM
I look forward to this match. Should be great if they both play well. As a Murray fan I realise that an in form Haas can be incredibly dangerous and I'm not worried too much of an in form Ferrer on this surface, so hopefully Ferrer wins. He'll get some extra points too that'll make up for his blunder in Indian Wells.

should worry more about Gasquet or Berdych first I think.

rocketassist
03-28-2013, 09:42 PM
I wanna see Hass-Muzza, I really do :D

mystic ice cube
03-28-2013, 09:47 PM
C'mon Haas, win the title!

Topspindoctor
03-28-2013, 11:32 PM
I wanna see Hass-Muzza, I really do :D

That is almost equal of wishing for Noserer vs Mugwrinka match.

Sapeod
03-28-2013, 11:54 PM
should worry more about Gasquet or Berdych first I think.
Berdych, true. Gasquet, nah. I ain't worried about him.

BackhandDTL
03-29-2013, 12:02 AM
FFS, Thomas, save tennis, please.

Kowchi
03-29-2013, 12:44 AM
Tommy Haas better win against Ferrer. Then maybe even beat Murray :p

champras
03-29-2013, 06:46 PM
A night match would expand more Haas' chances i think, i root for him nevertheless.

Lugburz
03-29-2013, 06:47 PM
Auf Geht's!!! 10more mins \o/

Noleta
03-29-2013, 07:20 PM
Prefer Haas,but won't be surprised if Ferrer takes this one.