Is there anything that will ever please Tennis fans? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Is there anything that will ever please Tennis fans?

ProdigyEng
03-27-2013, 11:55 AM
Well the reactions to Djokovic's Miami loss just say it all. Before he lost people were saying how predictable the tournament is, and how we're in for another boring Djokovic - Murray final. Djokovic loses and instead of being happy about it these same fans are starting stupid weak era debates, and moaning that the Quarter Final line up in Miami is weak...

So I ask, is there anything in Tennis that will please the fans? Do they want predictability, or do they want unpredictability? Is it too much for fans to be content with what they've got and accept the game for what it is? Or must the fans always moan even when things end up exactly how they wanted them?

Discuss.

leng jai
03-27-2013, 11:57 AM
Everyone creamed their pants over this result at least in private. Yes, even Saberq.

afterglows
03-27-2013, 11:58 AM
Well maybe, they are 2 kind of tennis fans. The ones complaining abaout tennis becoming too predictable aren't necessary the same that the one batching top players for each loss.

I'm happy with Miami so far. Upsets are good for tennis.

Time Violation
03-27-2013, 12:02 PM
http://www.globalnerdy.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/grandpa_simpson_yelling_at_cloud.jpg

Topspindoctor
03-27-2013, 12:04 PM
It's not about unpredictability, it's about Miami being a shit tournament that no one cares about. Every top player knows that clay season is coming up. What is the point of grinding your joints for this clown event? All tennis fans are eager for a surface switch and watching Mezer, Ferrer and Haas in the latter stages of masters 1000 just further confirms how weak the tournament is....

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App (http://www.verticalsports.com/mobile)

jcempire
03-27-2013, 12:08 PM
It's not about unpredictability, it's about Miami being a shit tournament that no one cares about. Every top player knows that clay season is coming up. What is the point of grinding your joints for this clown event? All tennis fans are eager for a surface switch and watching Mezer, Ferrer and Haas in the latter stages of masters 1000 just further confirms how weak the tournament is....

well, so How good tennis is in today?

60% Nadal be able to win the Master 1000

Punky
03-27-2013, 12:14 PM
After fed won wimby last year, broke Pete's record and got to n2 again for the 4 time, I have nothing to ask for him, just nothing

Win it's great? Lose? Doesn't matter
Just be around so I could enjoy good tennis b4 u will hand ur racket bc there won't be another roger federer IN MY ETES.

Everything is a bonus now

Brit Tennis Fan
03-27-2013, 12:17 PM
OP is confusing Tennis fans with fan boys and tards who make up the the majority of contributors to this site.

Certinfy
03-27-2013, 12:23 PM
Feldman being permabanned.

Sombrerero loco
03-27-2013, 12:26 PM
im so happy he lost, now maybe simon can make it into the semifinals :drool: thank you tommy

ProdigyEng
03-27-2013, 12:34 PM

Of course if Nadal played Miami and won your opinions on the event would instantly change.

Sombrerero loco
03-27-2013, 12:35 PM
and to answer the op´s question: its donald young winning the grand slam

ogbg
03-27-2013, 01:05 PM
Depends on the fans. If they're French then they'll be extremely pleased by the sound of imitation trumpets.

GSMnadal
03-27-2013, 01:06 PM
A night with Ana Ivanovic would do the trick

FlameOn
03-27-2013, 01:07 PM
Men's tennis needs unpredictability sometimes. The same old faces in the late rounds of tournaments is boring to the extreme. Clay season will be boring and upset-free, you can already tell, so Miami is to be enjoyed while it lasts.

niff
03-27-2013, 01:25 PM
http://24.media.tumblr.com/bb7cd47610cf74a9a9b8ef5cbf1ea985/tumblr_mhzuf86I4B1rw8c6bo1_500.gif

TBkeeper
03-27-2013, 02:18 PM
After fed won wimby last year, broke Pete's record and got to n2 again for the 4 time, I have nothing to ask for him, just nothing

Win it's great? Lose? Doesn't matter
Just be around so I could enjoy good tennis b4 u will hand ur racket bc there won't be another roger federer IN MY ETES.

Everything is a bonus now

This :) :yeah:

SVK
03-27-2013, 02:28 PM
No, this is NOT possible. That´s because every person like something different. Someone like thrilling baseline rallies, some fast court tennis with a lot of variety. Someone claim a domination of certain player(s) is good, some prefer upsets and upredictabilty. Every person also like different personality, players and dislike others. Weak era debates are also pointless because you hear that many different opinions, that you have a feeling, that every era was weak. However, this is all understandable, we all enjoy something different, therefore there is no way something will please all tennis fans and that counts for many sports.

TigerTim
03-27-2013, 02:55 PM
more grass torneys?

Slasher1985
03-27-2013, 03:10 PM
Yes there is. Have Nadal, Fed, Nole, Ferrer and Murray all retire at the same time, bring in more grass tournaments and speed up the courts.

Jverweij
03-27-2013, 03:15 PM
not all of them at the same time no. But this is how it works.

So best we'd have some variation, so that everyone is happy some of the time

Slasher1985
03-27-2013, 03:19 PM
not all of them at the same time no. But this is how it works.

Unless they're all gone, there will always be one category of fans hating on the guy. Tennis also needs no dominant player in order for everyone to be happy.

Jverweij
03-27-2013, 03:22 PM
Unless they're all gone, there will always be one category of fans hating on the guy. Tennis also needs no dominant player in order for everyone to be happy.

even that won't work, because the fans wil be bummed that their favourite is not dominating

Slasher1985
03-27-2013, 03:24 PM
even that won't work, because the fans wil be bummed that their favourite is not dominating

Yeah, but they would have nobody to really hate on, because nobody would dominate. But, the probability of all this scenarios happening is so close to 0, that we are more likely to see all matches in a Grand Slam end 0-6 0-6 0-5 0-40* Ret. than to actually see hate gone from tennis followers.

abraxas21
03-27-2013, 03:30 PM
Roger Federer.

The Federer haters, in reality, are not tennis fans. :D

se7en
03-27-2013, 04:40 PM
Dull retiring from tennis, that will make all tennis fans absolutely happy.

rocketassist
03-27-2013, 04:41 PM
Don't confuse tennis fans with player fanboys/glory hunters.

Chris Kuerten
03-27-2013, 04:44 PM
The Fog winning a slam.

Dark Knight
03-27-2013, 04:44 PM
Don't confuse tennis fans with player fanboys/glory hunters.

Yup an unbiased tennis fan will enjoy good tennis no matter who plays it.

Even a journeyman can produce good tennis...and great players can play badly at times.

nastoff
03-27-2013, 04:46 PM
Dull retiring from tennis, that will make all tennis fans absolutely happy.

Was only reading through this thread to see when Nadal's mention would pop up.. surprised it took 2 whole pages to make its appearance.

Ico
03-27-2013, 04:49 PM
A promising next generation.

Mark Lenders
03-27-2013, 05:17 PM
Yes there is. Have Nadal, Fed, Nole, Ferrer and Murray all retire at the same time, bring in more grass tournaments and speed up the courts.

I can understand Ferrer's retirement bringing joy to all tennis fans, but why would the other four need to retire :shrug:?

The Prince
03-27-2013, 05:24 PM
Tipsarevic retiring.

Corey Feldman
03-27-2013, 05:28 PM
Nadal retiring.

Newcomer
03-27-2013, 05:36 PM
I can understand Ferrer's retirement bringing joy to all tennis fans, but why would the other four need to retire :shrug:?

+1. But in other hand, it's better to see him playing and vulturing futures and satellites at 2016. I'm sure that he plans vulturing in champions tour and kill tennis after exit from ATP. It's will be combovulturing - to play against 50 year old legends and pushing them for errors.

70-68
03-27-2013, 05:37 PM

you =/= all tennis fans

Johnny Groove
03-27-2013, 05:39 PM
Feldman being permabanned.

No, no, he has his fans.

The Fog winning a slam.

This would just about do the trick.

GSMnadal
03-27-2013, 05:51 PM
Well, I think it would be nice to see a complete mug win a slam again like when Johansson or Gaudio did it. I think everyone could have a good laugh about that. Don't see it happening in this strong era though. Will have to be after Fed-Rafa-Djoker retire.

Lugburz
03-27-2013, 06:42 PM
there's a tournament called Halle that has been pleasing me for years and years. Especailly last years semis with only 1hbh's :hearts:

Kyle_Johansen
03-27-2013, 06:47 PM
Well, I think it would be nice to see a complete mug win a slam again like when Johansson or Gaudio did it. I think everyone could have a good laugh about that. Don't see it happening in this strong era though. Will have to be after Fed-Rafa-Djoker retire.

If you win a Slam or even make a Slam SF, you are not a mug. That term is just stupid.

Overall I'd like to see a lot more variety to make the game more unpredictable. All the top guys making the later stages of pretty much all events is a little tiring.

Lugburz
03-27-2013, 07:06 PM
If you win a Slam or even make a Slam SF, you are not a mug. That term is just stupid.

Overall I'd like to see a lot more variety to make the game more unpredictable. All the top guys making the later stages of pretty much all events is a little tiring.

I'd like to see a lot more variety from MTF posters. Their terms and trolling is funny to 12 y/o's.

superslam77
03-27-2013, 07:10 PM
yes...nadal losing everything and/or leaving tennis.

Kyle_Johansen
03-27-2013, 07:21 PM
I'd like to see a lot more variety from MTF posters. Their terms and trolling is funny to 12 y/o's.

Sometimes I wonder why I joined here in the first place.

Tiebreak100
03-27-2013, 07:47 PM
I will be happy when Murray inevitably wins Wimbledon this year. Only a few months to wait people! I will also be delighted when Murray wins a clay court tournament, which I expect will happen this year.

Once the above has been achieved, I suspect Murray will legitimately enter the GOAT discussion.

Kyle_Johansen
03-27-2013, 07:56 PM
I will be happy when Murray inevitably wins Wimbledon this year. Only a few months to wait people! I will also be delighted when Murray wins a clay court tournament, which I expect will happen this year.

Once the above has been achieved, I suspect Murray will legitimately enter the GOAT discussion.

Inevitably? He'll have a great chance but please. There's no inevitably in tennis.

Trololololo

chalkdust
03-27-2013, 07:58 PM

Muzza winning RG by a walkover would give so much pleasure to the hater-haters that it would outweigh all hatred.

Tiebreak100
03-27-2013, 08:13 PM
Inevitably? He'll have a great chance but please. There's no inevitably in tennis.

Trololololo

You never foresaw any Nadal French Open title? Federer and Wimbledon?

The inevitable does happen in sport. Not always, but it happens fairly frequently. I will tell you a few other inevitable things that will happen in sport in the next few months if you would like?

Kyle_Johansen
03-27-2013, 08:19 PM
You never foresaw any Nadal French Open title? Federer and Wimbledon?

The inevitable does happen in sport. Not always, but it happens fairly frequently. I will tell you a few other inevitable things that will happen in sport in the next few months if you would like?

Nadal and Federer were heavy heavy favourites to win at RG and Wimbledon because of their success and domination in those tournaments. Murray is not the favourite to win Wimbledon, he's one of four. It's not inevitable he wins any title that has one of the other big 4 in it, let alone Wimbledon.

Nole Rules
03-27-2013, 08:22 PM
Lacko winning the 5th slam Umag. I can rest in peace then.

Tiebreak100
03-27-2013, 08:28 PM
Nadal and Federer were heavy heavy favourites to win at RG and Wimbledon because of their success and domination in those tournaments. Murray is not the favourite to win Wimbledon, he's one of four. It's not inevitable he wins any title that has one of the other big 4 in it, let alone Wimbledon.

Even If I accept your point about Murray, you stated that there is no 'inevitability in tennis'. That is just commentator spiel promoting the game, there have been countless times the inevitable has happened in tennis and sport in general.

Federer has made at least the quarters of every slam for a ridiculous amount of time, yet you would still state that it is not inevitable that he would win a round 1 match at Wimbledon against a qualifier?

Kyle_Johansen
03-27-2013, 08:44 PM
I never said it was inevitable Rafa and Roger would win those FOs and Wimbledons. They were just heavy favourites for good reason.

Fed has had some scares at R1 the last few years. Falla and Andreev in 2010 for example, not to mention other 2R-3R-4R matches Fed could have lost before reaching the quarters. It was not inevitable that he would make all those quarters. The only way it would have been is if he had 4 walkovers.

Tiebreak100
03-27-2013, 08:58 PM
I never said it was inevitable Rafa and Roger would win those FOs and Wimbledons. They were just heavy favourites for good reason.

Fed has had some scares at R1 the last few years. Falla and Andreev in 2010 for example, not to mention other 2R-3R-4R matches Fed could have lost before reaching the quarters. It was not inevitable that he would make all those quarters. The only way it would have been is if he had 4 walkovers.

You are being slightly pedantic with regard to the meaning of 'inevitable'. Technically, you are correct, but in reality you are wrong. When a player is 6-0, 6-0, 5-0 and 40 love up, I would suggest the outcome is inevitable.

leng jai
03-27-2013, 09:42 PM

I don't know about you, but I joined to engage in deep and thought provoking tennis analysis.

Kyle_Johansen
03-27-2013, 09:48 PM
I don't know about you, but I joined to engage in deep and thought provoking tennis analysis.

That is why everyone joins. ;)

Lugburz
03-27-2013, 09:50 PM

Hehee I know the feeling, but you should chill a bit from posting. ;)
1k+ posts in 1 month is serious, you might just start having nightmares about MTF while sleeping :devil:

Topspindoctor
03-27-2013, 09:55 PM
I want the following: Nadal beating Nose in RG final with better score line than in 2008. Nadal beating Nose in Wimbledon final after saving MPs. Nadal beating Mandy in USO final 5th set TB after Mugray fails to serve out the match.

Also Noserer retiring by the end of the year, Nadal regaining #1 and Mandy falling out if top 5

Lugburz
03-27-2013, 09:59 PM
I want the following: Nadal beating Nose in RG final with better score line than in 2008. Nadal beating Nose in Wimbledon final after saving MPs. Nadal beating Mandy in USO final 5th set TB after Mugray fails to serve out the match.

Also Noserer retiring by the end of the year, Nadal regaining #1 and Mandy falling out if top 5

done.

Allez
03-27-2013, 09:59 PM
Grisha, Tomic, Goffin, Rufin, Raonic, Berankis etc finally stepping up and winning big tournaments would please most tennis fans. At the moment, because of these sad clowns tennis has a very dim future.

Time Violation
03-27-2013, 10:15 PM

http://cache.gizmodo.com/assets/images/4/2007/06/medium_nelson-haha.gif

Fat Camel
03-27-2013, 10:36 PM
Warlocq winning RG will make this forum the happeiest forum ever. EVER!

Action Jackson
03-27-2013, 10:49 PM
Meet The Fanboys/Fangirls sums it up.

latso
03-27-2013, 10:52 PM
Well the reactions to Djokovic's Miami loss just say it all. Before he lost people were saying how predictable the tournament is, and how we're in for another boring Djokovic - Murray final. Djokovic loses and instead of being happy about it these same fans are starting stupid weak era debates, and moaning that the Quarter Final line up in Miami is weak...

So I ask, is there anything in Tennis that will please the fans? Do they want predictability, or do they want unpredictability? Is it too much for fans to be content with what they've got and accept the game for what it is? Or must the fans always moan even when things end up exactly how they wanted them?

Discuss.
The tricky part in bold.

There will always be haters, they will most of the time be a minority, yet much more vocal than the rest.