Can Haas win a slam this year? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Can Haas win a slam this year?

BroTree123
03-27-2013, 04:25 AM
I think he'll win the next three slams this year :bowdown:

Johnny Groove
03-27-2013, 04:27 AM
Haas at this level has always been slam winning potential, everyone knows this. Even Simon Reed predicted Haas would win a slam in 2009.

Question is, can he maintain it over 2 weeks is always the question.

Haas winning Wimbledon would be storybook.

emotion
03-27-2013, 04:28 AM
He has the gear, but sadly I think lacks the fitness or mentality

Kyle_Johansen
03-27-2013, 04:28 AM
I'd love to see a run at Wimbledon. He deserves it.

But I'll settle for a Miami win.

Moozza
03-27-2013, 04:34 AM
lol no. I really hope this is not a serious thread.

Mountaindewslave
03-27-2013, 04:36 AM
Haas at this level has always been slam winning potential, everyone knows this. Even Simon Reed predicted Haas would win a slam in 2009.

a run to at least the WImbledon final would be awesome. a win would be insane. his game is wonderful on grass and he can finish points quickly, anything is possible :]

Dark Knight
03-27-2013, 04:36 AM
Let him win Miami first :D.

Dark Knight
03-27-2013, 04:37 AM

Exactly and now at 35 its quite unlikely..i guess we'll see :)

Kyle_Johansen
03-27-2013, 04:40 AM
He'll definitely have a great shot at winning Halle again.

bjurra
03-27-2013, 04:40 AM
No but I would certainly like him to win one.

3DGNumberOneFan
03-27-2013, 04:41 AM
FO: No
WB: Chance but no
US: No

I mean just last year Tommy beat Fed in Halle. Then shit himself against Kohly I believe and lost 1R and Roger went on to win the title

MichaelKrep
03-27-2013, 04:41 AM
Career slam by the time AO 2014 is finished is my prediction.

SerialKillerToBe
03-27-2013, 04:42 AM
Haas is a born choker. He lives off of bending over to Federer and his accomplices.

Lugburz
03-27-2013, 04:42 AM
lol no. I really hope this is not a serious thread.

nope, still nothing about muzzah in here, begone you :wavey:

Kyle_Johansen
03-27-2013, 04:44 AM
Haas is a born choker. He lives off of bending over to Federer and his accomplices.

Hurt much? Didn't seem to choke the match away when he went from 3-1 up to 4-3 down.

SerialKillerToBe
03-27-2013, 04:45 AM
Hurt much? Didn't seem to choke the match away when he went from 3-1 up to 4-3 down.

When I say choker, I mean that he chokes in the important matches.

evilmindbulgaria
03-27-2013, 04:46 AM
Let him win Miami first :D.

:yeah:

Lugburz
03-27-2013, 04:48 AM
jinxing threads best threads, remember the one about Haas wining Wimbly last year?

MrPlateperson
03-27-2013, 04:49 AM
Haha a guy beats a 10% nole and people are speculating wether hes going to win a major. If maybe nole was playing at atleast 40% I could see this thread justifiable.

lucyfur
03-27-2013, 04:51 AM
No!

Kat_YYZ
03-27-2013, 04:53 AM

He beat Federer last year in Halle -- in the final.

Kyle_Johansen
03-27-2013, 04:53 AM
When I say choker, I mean that he chokes in the important matches.

...and this wasn't an important match?

SerialKillerToBe
03-27-2013, 04:57 AM
He beat Federer last year in Halle -- in the final.

250 tournament is the antithesis of importance

...and this wasn't an important match?

I guess it'll be important if he manages to win this, but we all know nothing of the sort will happen.

Kyle_Johansen
03-27-2013, 04:59 AM
250 tournament is the antithesis of importance

I guess it'll be important if he manages to win this, but we all know nothing of the sort will happen.

Any win over a top 10 player, yet alone #1 in the world, is a huge win for a guy like Haas, especially at this stage of his career. And 250 or not, that title is the reason he is in the top 20 now.

Gris
03-27-2013, 05:01 AM
Any win over a top 10 player, yet alone #1 in the world, is a huge win for a guy like Haas, especially at this stage of his career. And 250 or not, that title is the reason he is in the top 20 now.

This.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App (http://www.verticalsports.com/mobile)

MrPlateperson
03-27-2013, 05:03 AM
Ths match wasnt important for Nole which is for sure.

Lugburz
03-27-2013, 05:03 AM

this forum has few reasonable posts, believe it or not folks ;)

Chase Visa
03-27-2013, 05:04 AM
No.

But he can easily make the final weekend of Wimby at least.

Sham Kay
03-27-2013, 05:05 AM
I figured that was a foregone conclusion after his tactical destruction of Novak

stewietennis
03-27-2013, 05:07 AM
A lot of things would have to go right for Tommy to win a slam - a good draw, quick matches, no injuries, one of the top four being eliminated early. I believe he's got the skills to take out one of the top 4, two if he doesn't expend too much energy in the early rounds. But anything more than that may be too much for him. I hope he does though. He's troubled Federer at the French and gotten to the semis at Wimbledon and the AO.

Pipsy
03-27-2013, 05:21 AM
Can Haas win a slam? Yes. But the odds are extremely long...

In all likelihood, given the consistency of the big 4, he'd need to beat 2 or 3 of the them in consecutive matches to win the title. Such a string of results is made more unlikely over 5 sets than 3 sets I would argue.

Zenjo
03-27-2013, 05:45 AM
Can Haas win a Slam? I think the question should be who can stop him winning all the slams? As long as he is physically able to keep playing then he will dominate the rest of the decade. None of Federer's records are safe. There are 27 slams left to be played this decade and Tommy is going to win 20 of them minimum.

Zenjo
03-27-2013, 05:47 AM
Sorry. I got caught up in the heat of the moment and lost all sense of rational thought there.

Lugburz
03-27-2013, 05:51 AM
better question would be:

How many slams Haas could have won if it hadn't been for all the troubles/injuries?

The answer: I don't care. Now show me that backhand again!!!

Kyle_Johansen
03-27-2013, 06:02 AM
better question would be:

How many slams Haas could have won if it hadn't been for all the troubles/injuries?

The answer: I don't care. Now show me that backhand again!!!

I thought he was tentative on the BH at the end of the match. Was slicing a lot though.

HKz
03-27-2013, 06:30 AM
No. While I will always love Haas his problem has always been a lack of a major weapon. Yes he is an extremely all-round player, even more so than say Federer, but that is his problem as well. He doesn't have the biggest serve to get him out of jail, neither his forehand or bakchand are as big as Federer, Djokovic or Nadal and his non tennis aspects aren't really special either. He has to work each point out which places a lot of pressure on him mentally and we all know he hasn't been a rock solid player mentally in his career. Wimbledon is really his best chance at the moment but I don't think he would even make the second week to be quite honest.

Noleta
03-27-2013, 06:49 AM
:lol:

But it will be awesome if he reaches the final or even better,win Miami:)

heya
03-27-2013, 07:56 AM
It'd be harmful to the Fed fans if Haas wins 3 Slams and Djoker wins 12 more Slams. All decent players don't go Fed's way.

Topspindoctor
03-27-2013, 08:02 AM
Let's face the reality: Haas is a mug. He won't even make slam SF much less win one. Hope he draws Nadal in a slam so that he shows how it's done. The hype is pathetic.

Dougie
03-27-2013, 08:34 AM
He can make a deep run at a Slam (WImbledon, maybe), but for someone his age, fitness and recovery will be an issue playing several best-of-5 matches. Don´t get me wrong, he is obviously very fit, but he is not 20 anymore...QF maybe, SF at best, but I can´t see him winning a GS.

GSMnadal
03-27-2013, 08:42 AM
If he couldn't even win one in 04-07, how the hell is he supposed to win one now? Go home, rest up and enjoy this result, old Tommy. Maybe you'll even reach R4 of a slam this year.

born_on_clay
03-27-2013, 08:57 AM
As much as I would like it to happen he lacks fitness :sad:

Allez
03-27-2013, 09:09 AM
7 BO5 matches??? You're kidding right?

August
03-27-2013, 05:27 PM
He'll win Wimbledon if he just avoids playing Kohlschreiber.

STUHL
03-27-2013, 05:38 PM
He'll win Wimbledon if he just avoids playing Kohlschreiber.Yes the history of their Matches on grass is incredible. :worship:

Lugburz
03-27-2013, 06:10 PM
Yes the history of their Matches on grass is incredible. :worship:

A joy to watch. I'm actually thinking of coming to Halle this year.

nick the greek
03-27-2013, 06:12 PM
:superlol::superlol::superlol::superlol::superlol: :superlol::superlol:

Jelena
03-27-2013, 07:08 PM
I'd love if he won a slam, but his joints are too much damaged to get through up to 35 sets in 14 days. He's still able to have a good run of 3 or 4 rounds (depending on the length of matches) and to maybe kick one of the dark horses out of the competition.

redshift36188
03-27-2013, 07:19 PM
Bo5 is too much for his age. Maybe a SF in Wimbledon.

Kyle_Johansen
03-27-2013, 07:29 PM
If he couldn't even win one in 04-07, how the hell is he supposed to win one now? Go home, rest up and enjoy this result, old Tommy. Maybe you'll even reach R4 of a slam this year.

04-07 was the time of his worst injuries. Never mind the fact that even if he was healthy he'd be faced with facing Federer in three of the four Slams he had a real shot at (or Nadal/Fed at the FO semis).

BauerAlmeida
03-27-2013, 07:39 PM
He should've won one before Federer peaked. As I said in another thread, AO 2002 was his best chance. He wouldn't have clowned around against ToJo like Marat did.

Now it's impossible because of his age. He beat Federer last year on grass, Djokovic this year on hard, but Bo5 is a different story. I would like to see him win Wimbledon, but it won't happen.

Kyle_Johansen
03-27-2013, 07:44 PM
Tommy is definitely not winning a Slam, or at least it would be a miracle if he did. Love him, but he just won't. At this point a QF appearance in Miami is as good a result as he could ask for, and hopefully he goes further. He would have to put together an Agassi-like run.

Nole Rules
03-27-2013, 07:45 PM
He should've won one before Federer peaked. As I said in another thread, AO 2002 was his best chance. He wouldn't have clowned around against ToJo like Marat did.

Now it's impossible because of his age. He beat Federer last year on grass, Djokovic this year on hard, but Bo5 is a different story. I would like to see him win Wimbledon, but it won't happen.

Pretty much this.

GSMnadal
03-27-2013, 07:48 PM
04-07 was the time of his worst injuries. Never mind the fact that even if he was healthy he'd be faced with facing Federer in three of the four Slams he had a real shot at (or Nadal/Fed at the FO semis).

Yeah, I didn't mean he could've won one then, although he always gave Fed a good run for his money and really should've beaten him at RG 09. It's just, now at 34 it's even more ridiculous. He isn't good enough, had a couple SF, a QF here and there and a lot of first round exits. Only a handful players win slams, one victory over a top guy is nowhere enough.

Even if slams were best of 3 he'd have no shot, never mind best of 5.

nole_no1
03-27-2013, 07:50 PM
:stupid:

Kyle_Johansen
03-27-2013, 07:54 PM
This is the exact same kind of thread as the one asking if Blake could get top 20 a few days ago.

It's perfectly normal that Haas isn't doing great in Slams now and not doing great consistently week in and week out. Though he can still contend heavily for every 250 event he's in and when you aren't top 5 in the world, those events can mean a lot for ranking and honour. I mean, last year when he won Halle it was so special because he never thought he would win a title again, and he's reached three finals since then, two of which I believe he should have won.

The scary thing is that I think he could play for another two years and still be top 50 material.

TigerTim
03-27-2013, 07:55 PM
r4 at best

Brick Top
03-27-2013, 08:42 PM
Wont drop a set in London.

Allez
03-27-2013, 09:54 PM
With all due respect on such a special day, but after Tommy had won Halle last year, destroying Fed in the process, he completely mugged it up at Wimbledon. A GS final is hugely unrealistic at this stage.

octatennis
03-27-2013, 10:31 PM
Wimbledon and Us open aré already in the bag.

leng jai
03-27-2013, 11:34 PM
With all due respect on such a special day, but after Tommy had won Halle last year, destroying Fed in the process, he completely mugged it up at Wimbledon. A GS final is hugely unrealistic at this stage.

Were you at the match? AFAIK it wasn't televised but I heard it was one of the better matches of the tournament.

mdterp01
03-27-2013, 11:41 PM
Lets not get stupid. I mean yes big win over Novak, but he caught the guy on a very off day. Lets not go smoking the good stuff thinking Haas will EVER win a slam.

Honestly
03-27-2013, 11:43 PM
He'll definitely have a great shot at winning Halle again.

Negative. Halle belongs to the GOAT this year. He has it booked already.

Roy Emerson
03-27-2013, 11:44 PM
Nah.

Honestly
03-27-2013, 11:46 PM

The Fedhate is strong with this one.

But at least you got it right that Haas aint winning a slam. He won't even win Miami. QF at a slam at best for him.

Andi-M
03-27-2013, 11:49 PM
Wait I thought Gulbis was winning the remaining slams this year! Or have we forgotten about him its been a couple of weeks after all?

Topspindoctor
03-27-2013, 11:50 PM
Haas to win RG this year beating Nadal in straights :yeah: am I doing it right? I am new to the bandwagon thing....

Lugburz
03-27-2013, 11:51 PM
Haas to win RG this year beating Nadal in straights :yeah: am I doing it right? I am new to the bandwagon thing....

done.

Honestly
03-27-2013, 11:59 PM

What are you talking about? You've been bandwagoning dull for how long now?

timafi
03-28-2013, 12:01 AM
best of 5 sets over 2 weeks? NOT gonna happen if ALL of the top 4 players are ALL healthy and playing well at the same time

Orka_n
03-28-2013, 12:03 AM
Shit thread, MTF really cannot be a more pathetic place.

Allez
03-28-2013, 12:05 AM
Negative. Halle belongs to the GOAT this year. He has it booked already.

Your hatred of Fed knows no bounds. Already jinxing him so many months in advance :rolleyes:

Honestly
03-28-2013, 12:09 AM
Your hatred of Fed knows no bounds. Already jinxing him so many months in advance :rolleyes:

Negative Allez. He has won it already. It's not up for discussion.

Topspindoctor
03-28-2013, 12:14 AM
Negative Allez. He has won it already. It's not up for discussion.

Just has to avoid Haas and Hewitt in the finals :superlol:

Allez
03-28-2013, 12:20 AM
Were you at the match? AFAIK it wasn't televised but I heard it was one of the better matches of the tournament.

It may have been, but following the heroics of Halle, the Haas bandwagon was bursting at the seams by the time Wimbledon came around. He was the in-form player and was beaten by someone he'd easily taken care of in Halle right off the bat. I like both players so I was sad they had to meet so early but Haas could not carry his form into the GS situation...

Let's see...

Wimbledon - Lost in the 1st round
USO - Lost in the 1st round
Aussie O - Lost in the 1st round

AND we're to believe he's going to win a slam this year ? Haas is not a GS performer, especially at this stage in his career. But let's not let that sad reality spoil the good vibe over his beautiful win over Nole.

Lugburz
03-28-2013, 12:25 AM
It may have been, but following the heroics of Halle, the Haas bandwagon was bursting at the seams by the time Wimbledon came around. He was the in-form player and was beaten by someone he'd easily taken care of in Halle right off the bat. I like both players so I was sad they had to meet so early but Haas could not carry his form into the GS situation...

Let's see...

Wimbledon - Lost in the 1st round
USO - Lost in the 1st round
Aussie O - Lost in the 1st round

AND we're to believe he's going to win a slam this year ? Haas is not a GS performer, especially at this stage in his career. But let's not let that sad reality spoil the good vibe over his beautiful win over Nole.

You are wrong. It was one of the best matches of the tour(heard it from a guy that WAS THERE actually)
Also Haas didn't beat him easily in Halle, it could have been other way around. Kohli was simply on fire at Wmibledon, so it was pretty specific situation.
About USO, we all know Gulbis, and what he can do when he's on.

I agree on AO tho, came as a big surprise to me as well.

Allez
03-28-2013, 12:27 AM
3 straight 1st round loses and still some people choose to make excuses :rolleyes:

leng jai
03-28-2013, 12:28 AM
3 first round losses in a row looks bad but if you look at the actual matches it makes more sense. A motivated Kohli on grass is no joke and Niemenan played the match of his life at the AO (I was actually there courtside). The Gulbis loss was unfortunate but he hardly put a foot wrong after going down 2 sets. For sure he should have won at least 1 of those matches, even 2. The silver lining is that he will have a mountain of points to pick up at the slams this year.

GSMnadal
03-28-2013, 12:29 AM
3 straight 1st round loses and still some people choose to make excuses :rolleyes:

He did make R3 at RG 2012! Too bad he ran into a red hot Gasquet, got double bagelled and lost the final 16 games :lol:

leng jai
03-28-2013, 12:31 AM
He did make R3 at RG 2012! Too bad he ran into a red hot Gasquet, got double bagelled and lost the final 16 games :lol:

Er he was just coming back from his injury and had to play qualies to even get into the RG main draw.

Lugburz
03-28-2013, 12:31 AM

lol what excuses? Did I say it was due to wind? Did I say umpire robbed him? Did I say he lost because of temperature or weather conditions in general.

No, I didn't even took anything away from the opponents who had beaten him.

You are simply assuming way too much, talking about something that you didn't even watch.