WWW Miami QF: Murray Vs Cilic [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

WWW Miami QF: Murray Vs Cilic

Moozza
03-27-2013, 12:02 AM
I think Murray wins this in straights.

rocketassist
03-27-2013, 12:02 AM
Cilic to fight, or drop the soap like he usually does in this match-up?

Newcomer
03-27-2013, 12:03 AM
windray kills tennis in two

ogbg
03-27-2013, 12:04 AM
Cilic looks in good form but surely he carries too much mental baggage into this match up. I expect he might take the first set at least though.

The Prince
03-27-2013, 12:05 AM
Cilic in three. Don't thnk Murray is competitive enough right now, but the clay season is his priority, and he won't mind losing this one.

Mark Lenders
03-27-2013, 12:06 AM
Whatever happens, just hope it's not like the US Open match. Better to lose in easy 2 than completely dominating the match before having the meltdown of the century :o

Time Violation
03-27-2013, 12:09 AM
If Murray plays like in Dimitrov match Marin will have a good chance, that is if his brain doesn't take a walk

challenger
03-27-2013, 12:10 AM
This Cilic guy is forever mentally scarred by that US Open match - was one of the greatest choke in tennis history. I expect a double bagel by Windray in this match.

Deathless Mortal
03-27-2013, 12:10 AM
Marin will murder Murray's serve with his ROS, but IMO it won't be enough to win the match. Murray owns Marin's brain unfortunately so even if he gets in a winning position he'll most probably choke once again.

cilomania
03-27-2013, 12:14 AM
this will go in 3 hopefully cilic in 3

ProdigyEng
03-27-2013, 12:14 AM
Marin will murder Murray's serve with his ROS, but IMO it won't be enough to win the match. Murray owns Marin's brain unfortunately so even if he gets in a winning position he'll most probably choke once again.

Murray will murder Marin's serve with his ROS, and IMO it will be enough to win the match. Murray owns Marin fortunately, so even if Marin gets in a winning position, the better player (Murray), will clutch and win the match.

BackhandDTL
03-27-2013, 12:15 AM
Marin's propensity for choking will be irrelevant in this match.

Murray to routine this guy in something like 7-5, 6-4.

Greystoke
03-27-2013, 12:17 AM
I would rather see him lose 6-0 6-0 than relive The Match That Will Not Be Named.

Mark Lenders
03-27-2013, 12:22 AM
I would rather see him lose 6-0 6-0 than relive The Match That Will Not Be Named.

Same here tbh. Cannot think of a worst tennis watching memory than that match, undescribable stuff. It surpasses even Almagro's choke vs Ferrer at AO this year because he choke from tight scoreline positions, while Cilic was absolutely obliterating Murray before totally losing the plot when serving to go 2-0 up. Worst part was as soon he made the first two DFs you could almost guess what was about to transpire.

ProdigyEng
03-27-2013, 12:23 AM
Same here tbh. Cannot think of a worst tennis watching memory than that match, undescribable stuff. It surpasses even Almagro's choke vs Ferrer at AO this year because he choke from tight scoreline positions, while Cilic was absolutely obliterating Murray before totally losing the plot when serving to go 2-0 up. Worst part was as soon he made the first two DFs you could almost guess what was about to transpire.

Great memory for me :yeah:

samanosuke
03-27-2013, 12:23 AM
Murray playing shitty, but Cilic reaching his first Masters 1000 SF would be really too much

rocketassist
03-27-2013, 12:26 AM

It was the 2nd time he served for it that he shit the bed IIRC- Murray actually played a great *5-2 game, still no excuses for the *5-4 showing.

Cereal Killer
03-27-2013, 12:26 AM
Great memory for me :yeah:

My favourite part was that he only won 2 more games in the 2 sets that followed. I still remember waking up, just when the choke started. Good times.

Murray Mint
03-27-2013, 12:29 AM
I remember all the sad bastards on here jizzing themselves because they thought Murray was going out. Then when the champ-to-be took command, they all started giving Marin personal abuse. Sad.

ProdigyEng
03-27-2013, 12:30 AM
My favourite part was that he only won 2 more games in the 2 sets that followed. I still remember waking up, just when the choke started. Good times.

I was out at a function the night the match was on, checking live scores on my phone and getting frustrated to see Cillic had already took a set and was 5-1 up in the next... returned home and Andy had already leveled it. Epic comebacks from Andy is one of the many reasons I'm a fan.

Mark Lenders
03-27-2013, 12:30 AM
It was the 2nd time he served for it that he shit the bed IIRC- Murray actually played a great *5-2 game, still no excuses for the *5-4 showing.

The first time he served for it he couldn't find first serves but at least he kept the ball on court and made Murray earn it. The second time though :facepalm: All three times he lost in a Slam from the QF stage on, he was at least a set and a break up before imploding, very frustrating stuff.

That said, he's only 24, he's younger than when Soderling beat Nadal at the French for instance, so there's really no reason he can't become tougher mentally and therefore a bigger threat at some point, the game definitely is there to do a lot more than he has so far.

Moozza
03-27-2013, 12:34 AM
I remember all the sad bastards on here jizzing themselves because they thought Murray was going out. Then when the champ-to-be took command, they all started giving Marin personal abuse. Sad.

This. Haters still have not gotten over that match. The fact is that when Slamray sets his sights on victory 99 times out of 100 he will get it.

Deathless Mortal
03-27-2013, 12:36 AM
This. Haters still have not gotten over that match. The fact is that when Slamray sets his sights on victory 99 times out of 100 he will get it.

Fact: If Marin wasn't a choker, Murray would still be a slam virgin.

BackhandDTL
03-27-2013, 12:37 AM

:o Then will you please convince him to set his sights on winning more of these matches with Novak please? And majors in general?

Cereal Killer
03-27-2013, 12:39 AM

That's not a fact. He was only serving for a 2-0 lead, not the match and Murray still could have won in 5.

Moozza
03-27-2013, 12:41 AM
:o Then will you please convince him to set his sights on winning more of these matches with Novak please? And majors in general?

As I said 99 times out of 100. Occasionally injuries will prevent.

Deathless Mortal
03-27-2013, 12:42 AM
That's not a fact. He was only serving for a 2-0 lead, not the match and Murray still could have won in 5.

Marin was killing him out there. No choke = 6-3 6-2 6-4.

Cereal Killer
03-27-2013, 12:44 AM
Marin was killing him out there. No choke = 6-3 6-2 6-4.

That's your opinion, not a fact. I know those two can be confused easily.

BackhandDTL
03-27-2013, 12:47 AM

And this means what? You're asking for a different player in Marin, neglecting the still open-ended nature of the match, and Murray's proven ability to come from behind. What's the point of this hypothetical?

Deathless Mortal
03-27-2013, 12:52 AM
And this means what? You're asking for a different player in Marin, neglecting the still open-ended nature of the match, and Murray's proven ability to come from behind. What's the point of this hypothetical?

The point is that no "Slamray setting his sights on victory" would've helped there.

BackhandDTL
03-27-2013, 12:52 AM
As I said 99 times out of 100. Occasionally injuries will prevent.

Well how come they seem to happen on big stages at the most important times? Last year he won a little over 50 matches of about 70. That's not 99%. Please explain why this isn't adding up because I would really like to see him win more. :confused:

misty1
03-27-2013, 12:55 AM
Murray should take this. Marin has looked better at this event but after that collapse at the US i have no confidence in his chances here

BackhandDTL
03-27-2013, 01:02 AM
The point is that no "Slamray setting his sights on victory" would've helped there.

Oh, I don't know about that. The gets Murray made down set point at 5-2, and defense-to-offense transition ending in fantastic net play might have helped. I'm pretty sure that forehand winner up the line that he jammed down Marin's throat on BP at 5-2 did the same.

You seem to be forgetting that before Marin ever tossed up that DF to level things, and in between all of his overemphasized choking, Murray produced some remarkable gets and well executed advances to keep himself in the match.

So yeah, uh, I'd say it helped.

If you're unsure, though, feel free to hang your conviction on another singular example or something.

Deathless Mortal
03-27-2013, 01:08 AM
Oh, I don't know about that. The gets Murray made down set point at 5-2, and defense-to-offense transition ending in fantastic net play might have helped. I'm pretty sure that forehand winner up the line that he jammed down Marin's throat on BP at 5-2 did the same.

You seem to be forgetting that before Marin ever tossed up that DF to level things, and in between all of his overemphasized choking, Murray produced some remarkable gets and well executed advances to keep himself in the match.

So yeah, uh, I'd say it helped.

If you're unsure, though, feel free to hang your conviction on another singular example or something.

You're trying too hard. It's all hypothetical anyway, so there's no point in continuing. I could say that Marin would've continued playing as he did up until 6-3 5-1, you could say that Murray would've continued playing as he did in that single game down 3-6 2-5 and so on.. Hope you're not disappointed now. :awww:

BackhandDTL
03-27-2013, 01:11 AM
You're trying too hard. It's all hypothetical anyway, so there's no point in continuing. I could say that Marin would've continued playing as he did up until 6-3 5-1, you could say that Murray would've continued playing as he did in that single game down 3-6 2-5 and so on.. Hope you're not disappointed now. :awww:

Ah, okay. Once I point to specific examples from memory that rebuke your ridiculous fantasies, I'm now "trying too hard". Shouldn't you love that shit as a sad Ferrer fan?

Murray did continue to play that way, so would I be disappointed? He walked away with the major. :cool:

You hipsters make me laugh.

Chase Visa
03-27-2013, 01:12 AM
Murray to win 0-6, 7-6, 6-0.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App (http://www.verticalsports.com/mobile)

Deathless Mortal
03-27-2013, 01:17 AM
Ah, okay. Once I point to specific examples from memory that rebuke your ridiculous fantasies, I'm now "trying too hard". Shouldn't you love that shit as a sad Ferrer fan?

Why would I be disappointed? Murray walked away with the major. :cool:

You hipsters make me laugh.

As if I couldn't point to specific examples from that match, like that return winner that Cilic hit at 4-3 up in the 1st, or the great forehand down the line later in the same game... As I said, I don't see the point of it. If you want meaningless conversations, go talk to Lenders.

Certinfy
03-27-2013, 01:19 AM
Huge chance if Murray wants to win Miami he'll have to beat the same QF, SF and F opponents in the exact same order as he did at the US Open. :lol:

Not convince with Murray, but I still think he'll find a way to take this.

philosophicalarf
03-27-2013, 01:23 AM
Very, very lose-able for Murray this. He's been garbage lately.

BackhandDTL
03-27-2013, 01:24 AM
As if I couldn't point to specific examples from that match, like that return winner that Cilic hit at 4-3 up in the 1st, or the great forehand down the line later in the same game... As I said, I don't see the point of it. If you want meaningless conversations, go talk to Lenders.

I said you couldn't? Was my argument that Murray's "will to win" had something to do with it or that Mugrin's propensity for choking had nothing to do with it?

If you don't intend on carrying out meaningless conversations, I'd suggest not posting up such meaningless, ridiculous assertions. Or at least don't expect it to go unanswered in an open forum.

TigerTim
03-27-2013, 01:26 AM
Murray 0-6, 7-6(0) 6-0

rocketassist
03-27-2013, 01:33 AM
Murray isn't that much of a nightmare match-up for Cilic as he is for Tsonga for example- Cilic's ROS can punish his 2nd serve and he moves well for a big man, however his meltdown capabilities and lack of a money shot on either the FH and BH seem to inhibit him.

Deathless Mortal
03-27-2013, 01:36 AM
I said you couldn't? Was my argument that Murray's "will to win" had something to do with it or that Mugrin's propensity for choking had nothing to do with it?

If you don't intend on carrying out meaningless conversations, I'd suggest not posting up such meaningless, ridiculous assertions. Or at least don't expect it to go unanswered in an open forum.

I find it amusing how serious you are about this. This is MTF dude, meaningless and ridiculous assertions happen all the time. Like for example, remember when you claimed Nishikori is an attacking player? :lol: That was a good one.

BackhandDTL
03-27-2013, 01:51 AM
I find it amusing how serious you are about this. This is MTF dude, meaningless and ridiculous assertions happen all the time. Like for example, remember when you claimed Nishikori is an attacking player? :lol: That was a good one.

Who said I was serious? I genuinely do find people like you amusing, what with that goofy ass avatar, and the way you manage to say nothing of substance ever but still claim that others "don't know tennis". :lol:

Your obsession with Lenders has grown wildly out of control since you're now confusing his argument with others'. I claimed that he's constructive in the sense that Ferrer is. The only thing that does is remind us of is how one-dimensional your insight is.

Now go play in fantasies where you know tennis, Cilic isn't a choker, Murray didn't win the USO, and you're part of some water fight with Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Michael Buble or whoever the hell that is in your latest "how to be a bogon" avatar. :wavey:

Deathless Mortal
03-27-2013, 01:59 AM
Who said I was serious? I genuinely do find people like you amusing, what with that goofy ass avatar, and the way you manage to say nothing of substance ever but still claim that others "don't know tennis". :lol:

Your obsession with Lenders has grown wildly out of control since you're now confusing his argument with others'. I claimed that he's constructive in the sense that Ferrer is. The only thing that does is remind us of is how one-dimensional your insight is.

Now go play in fantasies where you know tennis, Cilic isn't a choker, Murray didn't win the USO, and you're part of some water fight with Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Michael Buble or whoever the hell that is in your latest "how to be a bogon" avatar. :wavey:

I never said Cilic isn't a choker. We've been through this - this was all hypothetical. ;) But I noticed you had problems understanding that.

I know tennis at least better than you do, that's for certain. Cilic is a choker, Murray unfortunately did win the USO. Obviously you confused the hypothetical sentence for my opinion, but that's okay.
Mentioning my avatar so many times, I really don't know where's the problem with that. :confused:

SerialKillerToBe
03-27-2013, 02:11 AM
Cilic in three. Don't thnk Murray is competitive enough right now, but the clay season is his priority, and he won't mind losing this one.

:spit:

Mountaindewslave
03-27-2013, 02:43 AM
the majority of their matches have been fairly close despite Murray's domination of the H2H, would not be surprised if Marin straight sets Andy, who seems shaky lately to be honest

I'll put Cilic in 2 just because I feel like Marin is finding himself finally

philosophicalarf
03-27-2013, 04:07 AM
Took a nibble of Cilic at 6.54 pinny opener. Can't be bothered running the numbers, but that should be lower, or a lot lower.

Murray really has looked really poor lately, he has no control on the forehand, and the loss to Del Potro showed he's not overly bothered either about masters (not so much losing to Del Potro, obviously a top player, but the manner of it).

3DGNumberOneFan
03-27-2013, 04:48 AM
Murray 1-6 3-5 ret.

cutesteve22
03-27-2013, 05:25 AM
Marin in 2.

Zenjo
03-27-2013, 05:52 AM
Murray in 2, unless Cilic plays well in which case Murray in 3.

Ivelina_P
03-27-2013, 06:44 AM
Prepare for the Cilic-Haas final,guys and girls.

Kyle_Johansen
03-27-2013, 06:45 AM
I want Cilic in 3. Though it will be Andy in 2.

MuzzahLovah
03-27-2013, 07:54 AM
Come on Muzz, make this h2h 8-1!

MuzzahLovah
03-27-2013, 07:59 AM
Huge chance if Murray wants to win Miami he'll have to beat the same QF, SF and F opponents in the exact same order as he did at the US Open. :lol:

Not convince with Murray, but I still think he'll find a way to take this.

1 down! :lol:

Topspindoctor
03-27-2013, 08:17 AM
Aeolus def Cilic :zzz:

chalkdust
03-27-2013, 08:41 AM
This is a tight one. Love Marin, so I hope he doesn't suffer any mental scars. May the better player win.

Allez
03-27-2013, 09:18 AM
So easy for Murray. Cilic has no chance. Grab that no.2 position golden boy. You deserve it.

Topspindoctor
03-27-2013, 09:20 AM
So easy for Murray. Cilic has no chance. Grab that no.2 position golden boy. You deserve it.

Deserve? :spit: the only thing Mandy deserves is another hammering in slam final where his ugly pushing game is exposed once more

henke007
03-27-2013, 09:44 AM
Miami Champ and new world nr 2 6-2 6-3, Next

born_on_clay
03-27-2013, 09:08 PM
Hopefully Cilic

Allez
03-27-2013, 09:37 PM
Deserve? :spit: the only thing Mandy deserves is another hammering in slam final where his ugly pushing game is exposed once more

I thought you hated rogi more than you do mandy! You should be pleased.

Sombrerero loco
03-27-2013, 11:00 PM
murrat in 2 =D

Tiebreak100
03-27-2013, 11:51 PM
This game has taken on added importance after last night. I think this match will be tight, but hopefully Andy will see it through. Would not be surprised if it went 3.

This game is not before 3pm Miami time, which certainly suits us here in the UK. I actually thought this would be the night match, so this a welcome bonus.

philosophicalarf
03-28-2013, 12:11 AM
Cilic only went down to 5.77, thought it might fall more tbh.

Still, that's 17% implied, at 6.54 about +11%ev. Will take that all day, all week.

Honestly
03-28-2013, 12:12 AM
Murray wins this without a shadow of a doubt.

Deathless Mortal
03-28-2013, 12:15 AM
This game is not before 3pm Miami time, which certainly suits us here in the UK. I actually thought this would be the night match, so this a welcome bonus.

Argh won't be able to watch it :sad:

cilomania
03-28-2013, 12:44 AM
it time for cilic to make one big win.many upsets here in this tournament why not cilic tommorow

miura88
03-28-2013, 12:59 AM
What are the odds of Murray winning 0-6 7-6(6) 6-0?

MrPlateperson
03-28-2013, 01:11 AM
Cilic always finds an incomprehensible way to lose against mugray. I see no different outcome this time around.

rubbERR
03-28-2013, 01:23 AM
Murray for the sake of rankings. Vulture winning the tournament... he would continue being wayy too overranked.

Dangermouse
03-28-2013, 02:28 AM
Doesn't matter who win, Berdych will destroy either of them.

Absolute Anthropoid
03-28-2013, 02:32 AM
Hope Marinemug can win the first set, but then there's always the risk of a Cilichoke

Andi-M
03-28-2013, 08:30 AM
Murray in 3