The "We Love You, Dean!" Australian Open Thread!! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

The "We Love You, Dean!" Australian Open Thread!!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Deboogle!.
01-14-2005, 12:03 AM
Draw will be out soon :scared:

We love Dean.

That is all ;)

Ummmmmm... this is good for Andy so far. IMO
=========
Australian No.1 Lleyton Hewitt has drawn a potential semi-final against American Andy Roddick at the Australian Open tennis championships which start in Melbourne on Monday.

In the top half of the men's draw, No.1 seed Roger Federer is drawn to meet eighth seed Andre Agassi in the fourth round and Russian Marat Safin in the quarters.

In the women's singles, Australia's Alicia Molik will get her first serious test in the fourth round where she meets eighth seed Venus Williams. Molik, the 10th seed, is in the same half of the draw as Lindsay Davenport of the US and sixth seed Elene Dementieva of Russia.

The complete draw is about to be made.

aceit
01-14-2005, 12:06 AM
Love to Dean. <3

snaillyyy
01-14-2005, 12:07 AM
:eek: :eek: I need the draw!!

and yeah we love Dean!!! :dance:

Golfnduck
01-14-2005, 12:08 AM
A semi-final matchup would be good. Roger has a test in front of him with Agassi and Safin in his quarter.

superpinkone37
01-14-2005, 12:09 AM
That sounds good to me too Deb. If Safin is on his game then there would be no stopping him so thats good he is on the other side of the draw...and poor Andre :sad: We know Andy CAN very well beat Lleyton, so yeah. That being said...Andy would still have to play tons of tennis before we need to worry about that anyways.

Deboogle!.
01-14-2005, 12:10 AM
Yea, but that can't be right. Andre is a top 8 seed, he can't face Roger til QF. Marat is #4 seed, he can't face Roger til SF. So that has to be wrong.

And yea, Danielle, can't even really worry about the SF yet, but I'd rather Lleyton than Marat. Plenty of hard opponents will be before then... we'll find out soon enough:)

And apparently Andy was drawn in Henman's quarter. Andy should be able to beat Tim on Rebound Ace...

Tytta!.
01-14-2005, 12:11 AM
DEAN!!!!!!!! :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

And.. Uhm... I assume Llegs will choke so I like it about Marat and Andre being in Roger's side :lol:

Deboogle!.
01-14-2005, 12:12 AM
OK Andy draws Labadze in the first round

:yawn:

andyroxmysox12191
01-14-2005, 12:14 AM
:banana: Dean!!!! :lol:
Can't wait for this draw :bounce:

Neely
01-14-2005, 12:19 AM
Draw will be out soon :scared:
does anybody know when, what time, exactly they want to begin??
I'm currently thinking if I should stay up a little bit more or if I go to bed and then let me surprise what it is...

Deboogle!.
01-14-2005, 12:19 AM
So Bjorkman/Rusedski in the 2nd round :scared:

Neely, I get the feeling it's been made already and news about it is trickling out.

Neely
01-14-2005, 12:20 AM
ah cool, all right, I didn't know...

Deboogle!.
01-14-2005, 12:48 AM
from the AP. Looks like a pretty decent draw, at least going by the seeds...

"Second-ranked Roddick will open against Irakli Labadze and face either Greg Rusedski or Jonas Bjorkman in the second round. He could meet Sebastien Grosjean in the fourth round, seventh-seeded Tim Henman in the quarterfinals and Lleyton Hewitt in the semis."

RoddickBabe10
01-14-2005, 12:56 AM
Nice matchups! Thanks, Debstah! :yeah:

:woohoo: :woohoo: Wow, I'm so unbelievably excited for AO! :bounce: :bounce:

PinkFeatherBoa
01-14-2005, 12:56 AM
Thanks for the updates Deb. :kiss:

Andy v Tim in the QF, too early.:( Still I doubt Tim's gonna make it that far, he normally sucks on Rebound ace.

heya
01-14-2005, 01:05 AM
Roger's lucky again because Andre's crippled. Safin is mentally weak now, so it's no concern.
Andy better stop applauding opponents and get rid of the slow, passive crap tennis.
Hewitt is a pest. :fiery:

Whatup86
01-14-2005, 01:09 AM
:worship: I am loving Dean already! :worship: and it sounds like a great draw, so far.

Tytta!.
01-14-2005, 01:19 AM
Andy should be ok with this draw... Hopefully he'll keep improving and kick ass :) *fingers crossed*

Deboogle!.
01-14-2005, 01:28 AM
OK so here's the full draw

Labadze first round, then Bjorkman/Rusedski, then probably Melzer, 4th round he's seeded to meet Grosjean and QF Tim... Not too bad at all.

Full draw is

http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/scores/draws/ms/r1s4.html

Havok
01-14-2005, 01:32 AM
If Andy doesn't get to at least the quarters :retard:. Greg/Jonas can be a tough match, but RA should favor Andy's chances even more. Melzer in 3r is :zzz:, Seb in 4r can be tough, but Seb has had bad luck in his past 2 Ao campaigns. Henman qf will be fun, but its a slower surface, edge to Andy. If Hewitt makes it to the quarters, let alone the finals, the tennis gods are smiling on him.;) Nice draw and incredible match-ups that can occur, also on the women's side.:drool:

tangerine_dream
01-14-2005, 01:34 AM
Great thread title Deb! :yeah: But if Andy should crash out before the Qtrs what will you re-name the thread? ;)

Jennay
01-14-2005, 01:39 AM
Cool, nice draw.

Dean! :kiss:

Deboogle!.
01-14-2005, 01:39 AM
Great thread title Deb! :yeah: But if Andy should crash out before the Qtrs what will you re-name the thread? ;)

With this draw, if Andy loses before the Quarters, I might not be a fan anymore :p

tangerine_dream
01-14-2005, 01:46 AM
Typical fair-weathered phoney Andy fan you are :p

PinkFeatherBoa
01-14-2005, 01:47 AM
The 4th quarter seemed to be the best one to get. :) Away from most of the contenders, like it.

J. Corwin
01-14-2005, 01:48 AM
Piece of cake draw for you Andy, now lets do it. ;)
Same can't be said for Andre. :sad:

Deboogle!.
01-14-2005, 01:57 AM
Typical fair-weathered phoney Andy fan you are :p

Oh yeah, that's me :o

snaillyyy
01-14-2005, 02:03 AM
Not too bad of a draw at all :) better than some that he has had...

Havok
01-14-2005, 02:09 AM
Yeah, it's about time he gets an easy draw, excluding RG.

andyroxmysox12191
01-14-2005, 02:52 AM
Like the draw :yeah: This should be a good one hopefully :)

surfpinky
01-14-2005, 03:10 AM
i think dean is doing a GREAT job with andy so far :)

Deboogle!.
01-14-2005, 03:12 AM
We'll find out when Andy plays Roger tomorrow, I guess...

surfpinky
01-14-2005, 03:16 AM
hopefully it'll be very close...the last time they played...*shudders*

Deboogle!.
01-14-2005, 03:18 AM
Well the last time they played Andy was hurt.

surfpinky
01-14-2005, 03:21 AM
that's true...but still... :(

Golfnduck
01-14-2005, 03:25 AM
GOOOO ANDREW!!! YOU CAN BEAT THE RABBIT!!! QUACK HIM TO DEATH!!!

RoddickBabe10
01-14-2005, 04:01 AM
:lol: Golfnduck QUACK HIM TO DEATH!!!

Wow, awesome! Awesome! I can't wait til AO :woohoo: :woohoo: I'm so excited! :yippee: :yippee:

Can anyone here please tell me who will be televised on Sunday night on ESPN? Thanks.

Breakaway
01-14-2005, 04:03 AM
Yeah Go Andy!!! :bounce:

Yes I also wonder who ESPN will show Sunday night :confused:

heya
01-14-2005, 04:05 AM
Guillermo Coria ARG (6)
vs.
Tomas Berdych CZE Berdych is capable of beating Coria

Ricardo Mello BRA
vs.
Alberto Martin ESP

Marc Kimmich AUS
vs.
Mariano Zabaleta ARG

QUALIFIER
vs.
Juan Carlos Ferrero ESP (31)

Fernando Gonzalez CHI (23)
vs.
Jose Acasuso ARG

Lars Burgsmuller GER
vs.
Igor Andreev RUS

Alex Calatrava ESP
vs.
Santiago Ventura ESP

David Ferrer ESP
vs.
David Nalbandian ARG (9)

Mikhail Youzhny RUS (15)
vs.
Jerome Haehnel FRA

Julien Benneteau FRA
vs.
Rafael Nadal ESP He's iffy

QUALIFIER :rolleyes: Toddler tennis draw?
vs.
Nicolas Almagro ESP

Olivier Mutis FRA
Too bad he isn't near Andy's section. :devil: 1 member of the Shrimp Clan that should be taught a lesson.
vs.
Andrei Pavel ROM (17)

Juan Ignacio Chela ARG (25)
vs.
Wayne Arthurs AUS

Paul-Henri Mathieu FRA :scratch:
vs.
Gregory Carraz FRA

Florian Mayer GER Probably will win
vs.
James Blake

Hewitt :fiery:

heya
01-14-2005, 04:11 AM
Tim Henman GBR (7)
vs.
Cyril Saulnier FRA

Filippo Volandri ITA
vs.
Victor Hanescu ROM

QUALIFIER
vs.
Albert Montanes ESP

QUALIFIER
vs.
Nikolay Davydenko RUS (26)

Vincent Spadea USA (19)
vs.
Radek Stepanek CZE :unsure:

Felix Mantilla ESP
vs.
Jan Hernych CZE

Fernando Verdasco ESP
vs.
Gilles Muller LUX

Chris Guccione AUS
vs.
Guillermo Canas ARG (12)

Sebastien Grosjean FRA (14)
vs.
Michael Llodra FRA

QUALIFIER
vs.
Richard Gasquet FRA

Kenneth Carlsen DEN
vs.
Philipp Kohlschreiber GER

Antony Dupuis FRA
vs.
Nicolas Massu CHI (18) :banghead:

Jurgen Melzer AUT (32)
vs.
Raemon Sluiter NED

Flavio Saretta BRA :scratch:
vs.
Nathan Healey AUS

Jonas Bjorkman SWE :mad:
vs.
Greg Rusedski GBR :fiery:

Irakli Labadze GEO
vs.
Andy :unsure:

heya
01-14-2005, 04:15 AM
Andy looks more like a rabbit, but whatever...

superpinkone37
01-14-2005, 04:38 AM
Vincent Spadea USA (19)
vs.
Radek Stepanek CZE ............ those poor people who have to sit through this match :scared:

but yeah, andy's draw is pretty easy, he better not screw this one up :o

heya
01-14-2005, 04:44 AM
:haha: :tape:

Carito_90
01-14-2005, 05:50 AM
Deany Winny :kiss:

I can't wait for the AO to start!

Vincent Spadea USA (19)
vs.
Radek Stepanek CZE ............ those poor people who have to sit through this match :scared:

:lol: No kidding!

Tytta!.
01-14-2005, 11:44 AM
Deb... I love your av :lol: :banana:

Deboogle!.
01-14-2005, 03:58 PM
Roddick seeking to get back on track at Aussie Open

MELBOURNE (AFP) - A frustrated Andy Roddick returns to the venue where his stellar rise through the ranks began to falter last year, leaving the big-serving American struggling to emerge from the shadow of Swiss rival Roger Federer.

The "A-Rod", 22, was world number one and ranked top seed going into last year's Australian Open (news - web sites) but by the end of the tournament had conceded his world crown to eventual winner Federer.

The Swiss went on to defeat Roddick in the Wimbledon (news - web sites) final and also added the French Open (news - web sites) to his 2004 Grand Slam trophy cabinet. (Uh what??? LMAOOOOOOOO)

Federer's red-hot form halted the momentum built by Roddick in a breakthough 2003, when he appeared set to become the next tennis superstar on the back of a US Open triumph.

Instead, it has been Federer who has been hailed as a legend in the making and Roddick has been left with the cold comfort of the number two spot and a relatively disappointing four titles in 2004.

Defeat by Spain in the Davis Cup final capped a miserable year for Roddick, who responded last month by sacking his coach, Andre Agassi's former mentor Brad Gilbert, and replacing him with the low-profile Dean Goldfine.

Roddick said he was determined to lose the best-of-the-rest tag and wrest back "his" number one spot from Federer.

"To get my spot back or get back to where it is actually a debate who the top player is, then I'm going to have to step it up, and I know that. So I'm just going to try to do everything in my power," he said.

He said his enthusiasm for the game revived under Goldfine, a US Davis Cup assistant coach.

"I've had a great training period with Dean, felt better than I have in a long time," he said. "I'm happy with the team around me now. I feel very optimistic for 2005 -- I'm excited," he said.

While Roddick managed to fend off a determined challenge by Australia's Lleyton Hewitt for the number two spot, he is in no doubt defending champion Federer is the man to beat at the Australian Open.

"There's no doubt the way he finished last year and started this year, he's playing the best in the world," Roddick said.

Roddick refused to concede Federer had a mortgage on Grand Slams in 2005 but said exceptional one-off performances would be needed for the chasing pack to catch up.

"Luckily for us, we only have to be better on one day and not for the whole year, so we'll take that attitude and really go after it if that happens," he said.

While he has never won the Australian Open, Roddick has already participated in one of the tournament's classic games, a marathon quarter-final against Morroccan Younes El Aynaoui in 2003.

The five-hour epic included the longest fifth set in Grand Slam history, with Roddick eventually winning the tie break 21-19, after which both competitors walked off the court hand in hand to tumultous applause.

An exhausted Roddick was then eliminated by Rainer Schuettler in the semi-final.

Last year, he made it to the quarter finals before falling to Sjeng Schalken of the Netherlands. (Uh what??? LMAOOOOOOOO)

Leena
01-14-2005, 04:00 PM
Sounds like your typical Yahoo piece.

Deboogle!.
01-14-2005, 04:02 PM
Yea, gotta love the AFP, a paragon of accurate journalism :o

Tytta!.
01-14-2005, 04:12 PM
The Swiss went on to defeat Roddick in the Wimbledon (news - web sites) final and also added the French Open (news - web sites) to his 2004 Grand Slam trophy cabinet. (Uh what??? LMAOOOOOOOO)

:confused: :haha:

Last year, he made it to the quarter finals before falling to Sjeng Schalken of the Netherlands. (Uh what??? LMAOOOOOOOO)

:o :haha:

:rolleyes:

Fumus
01-14-2005, 04:56 PM
http://67.19.129.138/mtf/customavatars/avatar4553_25.gif

"Wow...is that the standard grip size, it feels much bigger" - Tim

"That's not my racquet..." - Andy

Tytta!.
01-14-2005, 05:13 PM
:haha: :sobbing:

snaillyyy
01-14-2005, 05:17 PM
:spit: :sobbing: :lol:

Black Adam
01-14-2005, 06:26 PM
Lets say jonas in second round canas in quaters and probably no boxer in the semis since he has yet to make quarters :lol: hmmmmmmmmm i like this draw :yeah:

But is it as hot in austin as it is now in Australia ? hope andy has no problems with the heat :angel:
If Andy make finals :bounce: then i got a lot of vcash :aplot: :devil: (of course he had better win them)

Tytta!.
01-14-2005, 06:32 PM
We should care a bit more about his first round... then he wins and we think about the 2nd and so on... I just hate when I start to guess who his opponents are going to be :lol:

Black Adam
01-14-2005, 06:38 PM
We should care a bit more about his first round... then he wins and we think about the 2nd and so on... I just hate when I start to guess who his opponents are going to be :lol:
I know but i am too impatient :sad:
i really want him to win so i was jsut analysing the draw
beside i do not want to lose 100 vcash ;) i will be really tense coz i will only get the results in the afternoon when i come back from college ....real stressing:scared: but do not worry i like taking one match at a time ;)

Tytta!.
01-14-2005, 06:43 PM
Aww I was just joking :sobbing: I know you were just giving your opinions about it :hug: and I really think he's got great chances with this draw (till when/if he decides to mess it up) ;)

Black Adam
01-14-2005, 06:46 PM
Aww I was just joking :sobbing: I know you were just giving your opinions about it :hug: and I really think he's got great chances with this draw (till when/if he decides to mess it up) ;)
:lol: i know you werejoking but i am feeling good about his chances right now :angel:

Tytta!.
01-14-2005, 06:48 PM
Yeah... If he keeps improving and practicing hard with Dean :hearts: I'm sure he's got really good chances :)

snaillyyy
01-14-2005, 06:58 PM
I always have the bad habit of looking to far into the draw, and especially this time when he should make it through the first part without huge problems........but as I am often told ;) one match at a time :p

Golfnduck
01-14-2005, 06:58 PM
Yeah... If he keeps improving and practicing hard with Dean :hearts: I'm sure he's got really good chances :)
I think his chances are good this year, we'll see here soon.
You're on a roll Hehnata!!! 253 posts, just yesterday you had 230. :eek:

Tytta!.
01-14-2005, 07:00 PM
:sobbing: :o Jen

Carole... Yes... One match at a time! :lol:

smucav
01-14-2005, 07:23 PM
This article makes it seem as if BG is replacing Mal as the roving reporter. I can't imagine that working out well for anyone:
ESPN2 Announces Australian Open Schedule (http://www.sportsmediainc.com/tennisweek/index.cfm?func=showarticle&newsid=12268&bannerregion=)

Deboogle!.
01-14-2005, 09:00 PM
LOL smucav!!!!! I can't imagine it working well, either.

Whoever asked about Andy and the heat, he generally handles the heat pretty well, but i heard it was gonna cool down in Melbourne anyway...

Leena
01-14-2005, 09:04 PM
Ugh... no. Brad is so annoying on TV.

He did some announcing during the mid-90's, and it was just bad. He's a lot like Luke Jensen. He tries to come across all cool, and says lots of annoying things.

I guess in short doses, it may be fine.

But, I prefer boring Mal. Plus, he's so cute.

heya
01-14-2005, 11:16 PM
Labadze is a lefty and underestimating him will make Andy lose almost 500 points and soon enough...a top 3 ranking.

If you guys remember Rusedski in that USO 5 setter vs. Sampras, he sometimes
played his best and pushed a top player to the limit.
In 2004 AO, Andy was so happy with Brad's game plan that he refused to be aggressive vs. Safin.
PMac callied Safin a mental midget and Brad happily declared him a loser before the AO quarters. At Wimbledon, he was insulting other players and by 2004,
everything backfired on him. Bye bye, Gilby...
I wonder if Andy's family called Andy after watching Brad on ESPN.

Dean probably should be DC captain, since winning DC is the main thing for Andy.
The ignorant remarks of Mary Carillo, PMac and Washington shouldn't be showcased whenever Andy is on TV.
Andy's blood must be boiling.

BiancaUL
01-14-2005, 11:41 PM
This article makes it seem as if BG is replacing Mal as the roving reporter.

Ugh.

That's all the more reason Andy better not tank. I don't know if I'll be able to take Gilbert if he gets upset early; I can already feel the smug now...

superpinkone37
01-15-2005, 01:02 AM
This article makes it seem as if BG is replacing Mal as the roving reporter. I can't imagine that working out well for anyone:
ESPN2 Announces Australian Open Schedule (http://www.sportsmediainc.com/tennisweek/index.cfm?func=showarticle&newsid=12268&bannerregion=)

uhhhh well I prefer Brad in small doses, but at least he knows what he is talking about, unlike Mal who has to be corrected after every other thing he says. Even still, I dont know who could handle Brad as a full time commentator.

smucav
01-15-2005, 01:57 AM
uhhhh well I prefer Brad in small doses, but at least he knows what he is talking about, unlike Mal who has to be corrected after every other thing he says. Even still, I dont know who could handle Brad as a full time commentator.Mal is horrible & needed to be canned long ago, but I'm not sure BG is the right person to replace him. I can't picture him being stealthy and/or quiet in the stands while matches are going on. I can picture coaches/former players in the stands trying to get away when they see him coming toward them with his microphone. I'm sure BG will be fine in the studio and/or the booth, but I'm skeptical of his success as a roving reporter.

williaer
01-15-2005, 08:59 AM
at the kooyong final today, my friend and i were a little over excited, and were screaming for andy so much. when andy went to talk to him, after he got his ankle taped, my friend shouted out 'I LOVE YOU DEAN', and he looked at us a smiled - priceless!

Deboogle!.
01-15-2005, 03:43 PM
'Amped' Roddick energises tennis, rock 'n' roll-style
January 16, 2005

In the conservative world of professional tennis, American Andy Roddick is a breath of fresh air, writes Rohit Brijnath.

If you don't know what "totally amped" means, perhaps you need a dictionary of slang. If you're not familiar with "peace out", look that up, too. If you're new to the phrase "Hey all, what's shakin'?", get used to it.

If you want to be part of Andy Roddick's world, English as you know it is not going to be enough. Neither is sport as you know it. Good thing, too.

If Roger Federer's stylish game with its improvisatory touches is all jazz, and the steadfast baseliners with their sheet music present as classical musicians, then A-Rod (Andrew Stephen Roddick just doesn't fit) with his percussive serve and drum-roll forehand, is a bit of rock 'n roll. In the conservative confines of tennis, he's the dude we've been waiting for.

Roddick refreshes the parts most players cannot reach, a fellow who hired a bus last year with his tennis buddies and made a road trip across parts of America mostly unfamiliar with live tennis.

So there was this superstar in Mobile, Alabama, and Nashville, Tennessee, music on the courts, people occasionally talking to players and players talking back, doing what does he best - making a connection with cool crowds.

Fun is at a premium in professional sport. Free spirits are frowned at, news conferences sound like dirges. Marat Safin drops his shorts on court and officialdom harrumphs. Despite what we are told, sport is not a matter of life and death, and there is room for an expression of personality.

Roddick has chatted up talk show hosts, hosted Saturday Night Live, high-fived opponents, shaken the net and growled, and once responded to a reporter at Wimbledon, who asked him about whether he enjoyed being a sex symbol, by saying: "Do you want to go to dinner later?". He looks a young athlete enjoying his living, comfortable in his skin, and tennis can only be better for it.

As former world No. 1 Jim Courier, who himself once read Armistead Maupin's Maybe the Moon at changeovers and partly delivered his French Open victory speech in the local language, told The Sunday Age: "I think Andy's animation on court is terrific for tennis."

Courier believes his young successor understands the vanishing value of the athlete connecting with his audience, and that the contrasts between Roddick, the contained Federer and Hewitt, animated in his own way, serve the game well. Roddick's free spirit is not absent of warts, and he is still capable of sporadic lip to umpires and infrequent snaps at spectators, but remains some distance from any stereotypical label of "ugly American".

If he is no buttoned-up conservative, he is no outrageous rebel either, but inhabits his own ground in between, his flying of the Davis Cup flag last year pleasing even to traditionalists.

Always he has been viewed as America's future, and he has suffered this pressure with a pleasing equanimity; his nation now has reason to preen, for not only has it found a fine player for this generation, but he is salvation mostly with a smile, neither crotch-grabber nor aloof, like some of his more famous US predecessors.

In news conferences, he may occasionally sit marble-faced but his responses are thoughtful, honest and frequently droll.

Even during last year's Davis Cup final, in the midst of a cauldron of disappointment, when asked what he would tell his grandchildren of the experience, he shot back: "Bud, we're looking way ahead, aren't we; I don't even have a girlfriend and already I have grandchildren!"

Perhaps most striking was his poise in defeat after last year's Wimbledon final, not just in his unqualified praise of Federer, but in his candid admission that until he started winning matches against the Swiss, "rivalry" was not an appropriate description of them. After losing yesterday's Kooyong Classic final, the world No. 2 had won but one of 10 matches against the No. 1.

Improbably, there was a time when he, now 188 centimetres, was "Little Roddick", not merely because the tennis-playing Roddick in the family was brother John, but because Andy was a small kid. Then he swiftly grew, in size and stature.

His ascension up the rankings was rapid, from winning his first tournament in 2001 to world No. 1 in 2003, but, like his peers, must now feel the passing frustration of being born in the era of the Swiss. Abruptly, his game looked even more unsubtle in comparison and absent of variation.

Still, this week David Nalbandian, when questioned on Roddick's weaponry, raised his eyebrows as he said "serve" and then added "forehand, a very good forehand", which looks and sounds from some angles like a sledgehammer. Courier adds it's "good news" that Roddick has been No. 1, and collected a major (2003 US Open), yet still has room to expand and advance his repertoire. It is a roundness of game he needs to make a persistent challenge for greatness.

Roddick's sense of adventure is not restricted to road trips but journeys to the net, not to be derided in an age when most blanch at the word "volley". Courier sees him "getting to the net more often", but suggests he has room "to get better at his attacking game".

Part of that process, Courier says, is for Roddick "to play further up in the court", inside or at the baseline, for camping behind it leaves him in defensive positions, making it all the more difficult to dictate rallies. This shift in court position, explains Courier, would also enhance his backhand, an inelegant shot that may escape definition as a weakness but scarcely qualifies as a weapon, despite the addition of a slice.

Courier contends that since Roddick doesn't "generate as much (racquet) head speed (on the backhand) as he does on the forehand", it is tougher to play defence from the back. And thus the closer he gets to the baseline the more effective his backhand becomes.

Yet, whatever dimensions Roddick must add to his game, he is advantaged by his age (22) and an understanding that any progress will arrive from sweat.

This week, he explained that his new coach, Dean Goldfine, told him: "I'm not going to take any of your nonsense. If we do this, we are going to go to work and we are going to work really hard."

Said Roddick: "I loved that." The result has been a concentration of training that Roddick says he has not done since he was 15.

The truth is Roddick might appear occasionally in Rolling Stone and Elle, but primarily he is a tennis player, judged not by magazine covers but tournament titles. He may be charismatic and sociable, but he is also driven by a fury to succeed (he recently said even his practice matches with Andre Agassi were played with an elevated intensity).

To be entertainer and champion is not a conflict of ideas, but it is not an easy balance to maintain, and one day he might feel the need to handcuff his personality, to subdue his natural man, which would be a pity. But until that day at least, we are mostly pretty much amped to be part of Andy Roddick's world.

MisterQ
01-15-2005, 03:46 PM
Ugh... no. Brad is so annoying on TV.

He did some announcing during the mid-90's, and it was just bad. He's a lot like Luke Jensen. He tries to come across all cool, and says lots of annoying things.

I guess in short doses, it may be fine.

But, I prefer boring Mal. Plus, he's so cute.

Luke Jensen is annoying, but I've heard him say some insightful things. Too bad he can't tone down the dudespeak.

Deboogle!.
01-15-2005, 04:46 PM
Andy won't start til Tuesday :yeah: Now let's just hope he's in the middle of the afternoon or so, so that we can see his match live monday night :cool:

Deboogle!.
01-15-2005, 05:46 PM
Australian Open Preview
2005-01-15
AR.com

As we follow Andy mixing it with the world’s best in Melbourne this week, it doesn’t seem that long ago that he was strutting his stuff on the clay of Seville fighting for a Davis Cup victory. Now, all of a sudden, the first Grand Slam of 2005 is at hand! It has been a very short off season, and the result has been numerous injuries to the players in the grueling heat Down Under. However, the men’s competition has survived slightly better than the women’s and most of the big guns are lining up to take the first major silverware of the season.

All eyes, of course, are immediately drawn to the world number one, and seemingly near invincible, Roger Federer. The first Grand Slam of the year often throws up a few surprises and it is by no means a foregone conclusion. However, it will take a tough performance to get the better of him. Jim Courier said, ”He is the complete package. I dare you to find a weakness. He is going to have to have an off-day for anybody to beat him these days.”

The Australian Open draw was released last night and Andy has been dealt what could be perceived a challenging draw to kick off his year. His first round match is against Irakli Labadze, a young Georgian who has never been past the first round of the Australian Open in three previous attempts. He is improving all the time and last year reached his highest career ranking of 42

A potential banana skin awaits Andy in round two in the form of British number two Greg Rusedski, who must get past Swedish veteran Jonas Bjorkman. He played impressively in Dubai against Federer and gave him plenty to think about with his powerful serve. Andy and Rusedski have met four times previously, with Andy taking the three most recent.

Also in Andy’s half are Lleyton Hewitt and Tim Henman. Both have been making the headlines in the lead up to the Australian Open. Hewitt has made no secret of the fact that he has been working out and training very hard. As the home favourite he is desperate to capture the Grand Slam title that has eluded him. No Aussie has won their home title since Mark Edmunson in 1976 and Hewitt is on a mission to change that. ”I feel physically as strong as anyone on the tour. I think I've put in all the hard yards; I know what I've got left in the tank.” Hewitt has never been past the fourth round, but should he make it to the semi finals he and Andy would be on course to meet each other.

Tim Henman put everyone on notice by announcing his retirement from Davis Cup in order to maximize his chances of winning a Grand Slam. Henman is making no secret of his intentions for this year and could potentially meet Andy in the quarter finals of the tournament. Speaking earlier in the week Andy said that he had a lot of respect for Tiger Tim. “There’s no doubt that he’s had his best year last year and that’s saying something after the injury problems he had the year before, to come back and put forth your best effort is impressive.”

Andy certainly has his work cut out for him if he is to make a winning start to his new coaching partnership with Dean Goldfine. Jim Courier has no doubt that he has what it takes to overcome Federer should they meet in the finals. ”He has the big power. If he has his A-game working well, he can really push Federer. He showed in last year's Wimbledon final that he needs to play high-risk tennis to be in the ball-game. But if he plays high-risk tennis and he has a good day, he can knock him down. It can happen.”

Good luck Andy!

Golfnduck
01-15-2005, 06:11 PM
I'm so glad he's playing on Tuesday. It will give him a chance to rehab his ankle and be ready to go.

Neely
01-15-2005, 07:02 PM
The players that don't play on Monday will play 100% on Tuesday or are there also Wednesday 1st round matches?

tangerine_dream
01-15-2005, 07:15 PM
I agree with Q. Luke Jensen may be annoying but he also manages to say some interesting things so that makes his annoyance more tolerable.

Mal, as far as I can remember, has never, ever said anything remotely insightful. :o

As for Gilbert....eeccch. So not looking forward to hearing him commentate. :retard:

Where o where is Jim Courier when we need him? :sobbing:

Deboogle!.
01-15-2005, 07:40 PM
The players that don't play on Monday will play 100% on Tuesday or are there also Wednesday 1st round matches?

I believe USO is the only slam that has mens first round matches on Wednesday, and that's because of the Saturday Semifinals. So, yeah, the whole bottom half should play on tuesday.

Tangy, Jim Courier is commentating for the local Australian network :o:o

Mr. Man
01-15-2005, 07:52 PM
Looks like a good draw....I guess.

aceit
01-15-2005, 07:54 PM
Mal, as far as I can remember, has never, ever said anything remotely insightful. :o
Oh Mal, :yawn:.

I'm kind of eager to see what Gilbert will be saying, yet afraid to listen to him for many, many hours these next two weeks. :scared:

Deboogle!.
01-15-2005, 07:55 PM
Looks like a good draw....I guess.

I don't think he could've asked for a better one, really... *tricky* but not HARD. He might lose a set here or there or be pushed hard for a tiebreak or 7-5 set here or there which will prepare him for the later rounds, unlike what he got at last year's AO and USO where he blew through the draws too easily then hit a wall.

I think it's just right, assuming he's in decent form and his ankle is ok :o

aceit, you're better than I am - I am really truly not at all eager to hear what he will say :haha: And if ESPN has any brains at all (um what am I saying???? LMAO) they will not let him around Andy's matches.

aceit
01-15-2005, 08:08 PM
aceit, you're better than I am - I am really truly not at all eager to hear what he will say :haha: And if ESPN has any brains at all (um what am I saying???? LMAO) they will not let him around Andy's matches.

ARE YOU KIDDING? I could just see it now...

PMac: That was a great point. It's nice how he [Roddick] is starting to come into net now.
Gilbert: Yeah. I mean, of course it was good. I taught him how to do that.
---
PMac: It looks as if Andy has gotten himself into great shape!
Gilbert: I suppose. Yet it may take a few extra MPH off his serve.
---
[Roddick wins the AO]
PMac: A spectacular run for Andy at the AO this year!
Gilbert: *softly in the background* damnit...

Deboogle!.
01-15-2005, 08:22 PM
ARE YOU KIDDING? I could just see it now...

PMac: That was a great point. It's nice how he [Roddick] is starting to come into net now.
Gilbert: Yeah. I mean, of course it was good. I taught him how to do that.
---
PMac: It looks as if Andy has gotten himself into great shape!
Gilbert: I suppose. Yet it may take a few extra MPH off his serve.
---
[Roddick wins the AO]
PMac: A spectacular run for Andy at the AO this year!
Gilbert: *softly in the background* damnit...

:haha: :haha: :haha:

Neely
01-15-2005, 08:28 PM
I believe USO is the only slam that has mens first round matches on Wednesday, and that's because of the Saturday Semifinals. So, yeah, the whole bottom half should play on tuesday.
thanks for that, I just wanted to reassure what you think :yeah:

andyroxmysox12191
01-15-2005, 09:55 PM
:haha: That was great aceit!

aceit
01-15-2005, 11:31 PM
Thank you. Everyone around here is funny so I try to do my part. ;)

Jennay
01-15-2005, 11:42 PM
Aceit! :lol: Nice one.

heya
01-16-2005, 03:07 AM
fear + lack of finesse +`big power = quick demise of Courier's career

Andy can fall back on charity work because that's all he can do.
He's not interested in his variety, but he RESPECTS other players' shots.
That's why when he's APPLAUDING THEM, HE CRAWLS INTO A DARK HOLE & DIES.

The REASONS he LOST ARE
HE ACCEPTS THAT A RESPECTED SLAM WINNER SUFFERS A LOT.
HE WANTS OTHER GUYS TO SUCCEED,
so he can be comfortable with LESS RESPONSIBILITY + FEW EXPECTATIONS.
If he cares SO MUCH, LIKE HE'S CLAIMING, HE WOULDN"T JOKE AROUND on the court
LIKE HE DID LAST YEAR.

EVERYWHERE the Americans play, FANS know they're playing for their COUNTRY, SO
IT'S RIDICULOUS to AVOID PLAYING CLAY EVENTS ALL YEAR, only to PUT on A BRAVE, PATRIOTIC FACE DURING CLAY DAVIS CUP TIES + SLAMS + the OLYMPICS.
(just focus on shotmaking + calming down, NOT BEG THE CROWD TO CLAP)

He DIDN'T improve at age 22 while YOUNGER GUYS WON TOURNEYS EVERY MONTH.
Does he know or care? :shrug:
WINNING A SLAM IS NOT THAT IMPORTANT TO HIM---since he pretty much accepted that he will never be the BEST.

He CAN'T CARE LESS ABOUT WINNING QUICKLY.

HE LOVES PLAYING EXHAUSTING MARATHONS.
To Andy, WINNING A SLAM IS NOT AS GOOD AS MAKING PEOPLE CHEER.

HE FEELS PROUD that HE'S AN ANNOYING LOSER WHO LOSES due to FATIGUE brought on by EXCESSIVE SPEED SERVES.
Watch the '03 AO QUARTERFINAL + SEMI,
'04 Roland Garros, Wimbledon + USOpen, most of 2004.

He MUNCHED DOWN HOT DOGS at 2001 FRENCH OPEN & ENJOYED BEING A DRAMA QUEEN (CRAMPED UP, INJURED).

Andy didn't understand that he had a great chance to win 2001 USO
(LOST MARATHON when he was cheated by BAD CALL + didn't serve slower, FATIGUED, stopped CONCENTRATING)

He WAS IN THE HUNT at 2002 AO, but HE DIDN'T CARE ABOUT HIS RUNNING (TWISTED ANKLE, RETIRED AGAIN).

A champ cares about himself, not about PLAYING FOR EXHIBITIONS.
A champ plays IN EUROPEAN TOURNEYS, not RUN HOME TO REST WITH HIS PALS.
A champ IS NOT EMBARRASSED TO VOLLEY & PLAY his FINESSE SHOTS.

Deboogle!.
01-16-2005, 04:29 AM
Well Andy appears to be ok, he did this thing at Melbourne Park with Venus, the Bryans, Andre, and others, for an AmEx kids launch thing. Love the tan lines :sobbing:

superpinkone37
01-16-2005, 05:27 AM
thanks Deb :kiss:

heya
01-16-2005, 06:00 AM
I like Roddick and the way he's playing, Moya's going to be dangerous and Joachim Johansson – if he's fit – is going to be one of the top chances.

Marat Safin is dangerous, but it will depend totally on how he wakes up and how he is mentally.

It's really hard to look too far outside the top five.

The heat again threatens to be a major factor and will penalise the people who haven't acclimatised.

If they have done the work and have the fitness, they can definitely do well because this tournament really sorts people out quickly.

The heat can be severe and the reflective nature of the Rebound Ace surface can make it 10 times worse.

On the subject of the surface, I think Lleyton has made a good point. He is definitely justified on the point of trying to get it right for the Aussies.

At the same time, I can understand Paul McNamee saying he wants to be as impartial as possible, but the other tournament directors don't always think that way.

I would think it's in McNamee's best interests to look after the Australians.
Former world No. 1 Pat Rafter will write for The Daily Telegraph during the Australian Open

Deboogle!.
01-16-2005, 06:13 AM
Andy practicing today :)

http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20050116/i/r14710448.jpg
http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20050116/i/r2421581115.jpg

superpinkone37
01-16-2005, 06:24 AM
finally! :) thanks :kiss:

Deboogle!.
01-16-2005, 06:34 AM
Another :p

http://images.sportsline.com/u/ap/photos/MEL128011601_1024x768.jpg

heya
01-16-2005, 06:43 AM
An open letter to Andy Roddick: I thought Tennis was a Gentleman's Game!
Written by Mike Miedema thespoof.com

"Don't serve it that hard again, ever, please."
"I thought tennis was a gentleman's game!

Apparantly I thought wrong. How dare you have the gaul to walk onto that tennis court with your bright white Nike Airmax tennis shoes and limited edition, officialy licensed, blue Roddick-embroidered tennis bag. Already flaunting an aura of superiority before the match had even begun.

But you weren't finished, you proceeded to open a brand new pack of Wilson II tennis balls right in front of me, posturing that the tour-endorsed Wilson I tennis balls were somehow beneath you. I was going to say that the Wilson I tennis balls were the original balls of choice and that the Wilson II's only gained popularity from the name recognition of the Wilson I's, but I restrained.

Not only did you come well prepared with the latest equipment, you also color-matched that equipment with the correlating accessories of wristbands and a visor, a synergy that is hard to find in the professional, brand-contract-mandated ranks of men's tennis- thus gaining every conceivable pre-match advantage and perhaps already clinching the crucial game within the game.

Tennis is a gentleman's game, or at least that's what I was told. If you look back at my opening statement you will see I was curteous enough to refer to you as sir, a ranking I do not hand out to every Joe and Schmo. However, you did not treat me with similar respect on the tennis court.

Once the playing began, I grew further appalled. You were unholy and relentless in your pursuit of my complete and utter demise. At times toying with me, having me chase your ground strokes back and forth like a cancerous lab rat blindly searching for a last piece of cheese. You disassembled my many parts: you took the racquet out of my hand with your untold services aces, you made me an innocent bystander as you peppered the lines with a myriad of forehand and backhand winners, and when I charged the net you mashed the ball right at me, allowing me no time to react. How dare you!

If your play was not insulting enough to me, you would often chime in with your devilish tongue. "2-0, 4-0, 5-1, set!" and countless "40-love" statements that were devastating and necessary reminders of your effectiveness in both crushing me and accurately recalling of the score.

You have reduced me to nothing more than the very clay that makes up your precious domain. You have destroyed and impressed me with your level of play. Just don't ever do it again; at least not in front of other people, please!"

Thank you,
Your biggest fan,

Tim Henman

Deboogle!.
01-16-2005, 06:47 AM
hahaha I remember that! I think that originally came out around Wimby :)

Deboogle!.
01-16-2005, 07:02 AM
http://images.sportsline.com/u/ap/photos/MEL129011601_1024x768.jpg

liptea
01-16-2005, 07:15 AM
That letter is funny!

I've never seen it before. Again, the things I don't know are appalling. :eek:

Tonsils (or lack thereof) are ACHING.

star
01-16-2005, 01:59 PM
Thanks for the spoof letter, Heya. :hatoff:

:eek: Did you have your tonsils out??? :hug: :hug: :hug: anyway cause it hurts.

roisin
01-16-2005, 04:03 PM
ok first saw this and was like :eek: erm i thought andy dumped brad?! but now ive been told that its not brad and is actually dean. if thats the case he looks freakishly like brad. :shrug:

(the pic was taken a few days ago in Melbourne)

Deboogle!.
01-16-2005, 04:13 PM
yea, Roisin, they do look kinda similar when they wear the hat and have sunglasses on. Here's a pic from today (Sunday) and they don't look as much alike

roisin
01-16-2005, 04:16 PM
thanks Deb :yeah: i thought i was going crazy, its unreal how alike they look when he has the hat on though! yeah they dont look much alike w/o the hat...i love deans tshirt. i want 1 :p

Deboogle!.
01-16-2005, 04:20 PM
:)

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageMANIKE-NMDFTT.html
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageMANIKE-NMMNST.html

roisin
01-16-2005, 04:22 PM
legend! thanks deb! :hug:

Havok
01-16-2005, 07:00 PM
Ack, before I opened up those pics to see them larger, I thought that was Doug.:o

Deboogle!.
01-16-2005, 07:05 PM
in small size, i can see why you'd think that :) They look sort of similarish :)

aceit
01-16-2005, 07:08 PM
:)

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageMANIKE-NMDFTT.html
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageMANIKE-NMMNST.html
If I were a guy, I would buy those. They are so cool. :p

roisin
01-16-2005, 07:46 PM
hey im buying them anyway!!!! i might wait a while so the price will go down :p im sucha cheapskate

k-rod83
01-17-2005, 12:22 AM
i love the 'tennis' stuff nike do.....i soooo want one just to make the statement....'i love tennis'

liptea
01-17-2005, 02:19 AM
Dean is kinda hot.

smucav
01-17-2005, 03:33 AM
Caught some of BG's "commentary" at the beginning of tonight's broadcast. He's already starting with the "woe is me, it came as such a shock." I'm glad Andy took the high road in the [new] interview they spliced in between BG's comments. BG did have a sad look on his face throughout, especially when they showed some footage of Andy & Dean practicing this week.

aceit
01-17-2005, 03:37 AM
Oh my goodness I'm so sad. I missed most of Brad and his commintating skills because I had a tennis clinic when ESPN was showing the tennis. I think i'll be crying myself to sleep tonight.

Deboogle!.
01-17-2005, 03:54 AM
Caught some of BG's "commentary" at the beginning of tonight's broadcast. He's already starting with the "woe is me, it came as such a shock." I'm glad Andy took the high road in the [new] interview they spliced in between BG's comments. BG did have a sad look on his face throughout, especially when they showed some footage of Andy & Dean practicing this week.

Oh yea. Poor Brad :rolleyes: :o

*Shakes fist* Andy, you better do well at this tourney and play great, if for no other reason than to shut Brad up.

Deboogle!.
01-17-2005, 04:34 AM
How very topical for the name of this thread. I LOVE YOU DEAN!
----------

'New' Roddick aims for No. 1
By Douglas Robson, special for USA TODAY
MELBOURNE, Australia — When Andy Roddick hired coach Brad Gilbert in the summer of 2003, it propelled him to the top of the tennis world.

Why then break up a partnership that yielded a U.S. Open crown, the No. 1 ranking and a nifty .823 overall winning percentage?

Because Roddick isn't interested in finishing No. 2 — his ranking at the end of last year, behind Swiss native Roger Federer — or going a season without winning a major.

"I had as good a year as you could have without it being a great year," says Roddick, who won four tournaments, reached the Wimbledon final and led the U.S. Davis Cup team to its first final since 1997. "But I would have rather finished No. 5 and won a Slam than the year I had."

Although that partially explains last month's high-profile split, Roddick's decision to send tactical mastermind Gilbert packing after 1½ years of stellar results provides another insight into the 22-year-old's drive and psyche. The kid with the 155-mph serve, the fastest in tennis history, isn't afraid to rock the boat of success.

"He took a big step in changing coaches after Brad had done so much with him," says U.S. Davis Cup captain Patrick McEnroe. "But in tennis you have to get better just to stay where you are."

To have a chance at beating the soaring Federer, the top seed and heavy favorite at the Australian Open beginning this week, Roddick and his peers must take risks — or risk being left behind.

The Nebraska-born Texan begins his Grand Slam campaign Tuesday in Melbourne a fitter, stronger and more complete player than when he arrived as the reigning U.S. Open champ and No. 1 seed a year ago.

And yet, he is juggling more variables.

It isn't just the absence of Gilbert. The world's No. 2 player has a new coach in tow, Dean Goldfine, who served as an assistant on the U.S. Davis Cup and Olympic teams last year. He has shed his high-profile romance with singer/actress Mandy Moore for bachelorhood. And he has committed to playing a more aggressive style of play — one he employed for most of the second half of 2004 — that should help him win more easy points, prolong his career and, most important, chink away at Federer's heavy armor.

"I'll probably take my hits," Roddick says of his forward-pushing mentality, "but in the long term it's what I need to be doing."

Even if it means a bad loss here or there, most tennis observers think it's a good move and one they expect from the motivated, hard-working American, who splits his time between Austin and Boca Raton, Fla.

"Everyone is in the situation now where things need to be experimented with," because Federer has become so dominant," says two-time Grand Slam finalist Todd Martin, who retired last fall and is now coaching American Mardy Fish. "If Andy can figure out how to make his arsenal a bit more expansive, that gap can be narrowed."

It's not as if Roddick is suddenly going to start losing to players ranked 50 places below him, despite the tweaking of his style.

"Andy is like Shaq," says good friend and Davis Cup teammate Bob Bryan of the Miami Heat's star center. "With his monster serve and forehand, he will win whatever team he's on. Maybe Dean will teach Andy to become a more complete player. He still has some places he can improve, and he's No. 2. Who knows how great he can be if he steps up a few things?"

But after finishing 2003 at No. 1 and becoming, at 21, the second-youngest player ever to do so in the Open era, Roddick failed to win a major and slipped to No. 2. Federer, meanwhile, became the first man since 1988 to capture three majors in a season and knocked off Roddick all three times they met, improving his career mark to 8-1 against the American.

"It's not like Andy's worse," McEnroe says. "He's better. But Federer took his game to a whole other realm."

Gilbert out

Gilbert, who coached Andre Agassi to most of his eight Slams and went 121-26 with Roddick, including nine titles, was caught off guard by the firing but declined to elaborate. "I was surprised," he says. "I'm over it now."

Tennis insiders say the edgy, verbose, sports-crazy Gilbert clicked with the similarly wired Roddick at first. But then he began to wear on him as the two like-minded egos collided.

Enter Goldfine, who becomes Roddick's third coach in less than two years. A slumping Roddick dismissed longtime coach Tarik Benhabiles after losing in the first round of the 2003 French Open to go with Gilbert, who helped resurrect Agassi's career.

The 39-year-old Goldfine, a former Texas A&M standout who coached top-10 player Martin for eight years, bonded with Roddick when both stayed in the athletes' village during last summer's Athens Olympics.

In some ways, Goldfine is the anti-Gilbert. Both believe in hard work and focusing on improvement rather than results, but Goldfine is laid back, even-keeled and comfortable taking a back-seat approach.

"I don't feel like I need to be saying things all the time," Goldfine says.

He's also a taskmaster and spent two weeks grinding Roddick into shape before Australia doing two-a-day practices on court plus hours of gym and speed work.

"It's back to the basics," Roddick says. "There were a lot of times this year where I felt I was playing a little bit out of shape or playing banged up. That was just because I wasn't going hard enough in the gym and taking care of myself."

The Federer factor

If Roddick has rededicated himself in pursuit of Federer, it doesn't mean he'll be stepping out from under the klieg lights he enjoys. He still plans a variety of media appearances, magazine spreads, charity events and occasional exhibitions. But he has reached his saturation point and is not planning any new ventures that might compromise his tennis.

Roddick showed he could trade blows with the smooth-stroking Federer at the Wimbledon final in July, taking the first set and putting the defending champ on the defensive.

But Federer regrouped, found a way to win and was brushing aside all comers by the fall, including Roddick, whom he crushed 6-4, 6-0 in the Bangkok final.

"(Roddick's) a good player, great serve, you know," Federer says. "But it seems like I cope well with it."

"For him it's between the ears right now, and it should be," Roddick says of Federer, who has won an ATP-record 14 consecutive finals and enters Melbourne riding a 21-match winning streak, including his 23rd title, in Doha this month. "He was unbeatable for the better part of last year."

To get in Federer's head, Roddick must take some tactical risks. The American needs to end points quicker, take the net and impose his will. By improving his transition game and his court positioning, Roddick can "make guys react to what he's doing rather than the other way around," Goldfine says.

"He could lose some matches by being too aggressive, but I'd be OK with that," Goldfine says.

heya
01-17-2005, 04:54 AM
Andy doesn't understand that he needs to bring out
his anger when he plays.

Brad bragged that ANDY was #1 and #2 because of Brad's great work!
It's not so wonderful to save match points and then to barely cling onto 4 out of 6 titles.

Andy did nothing but made tons of careless errors in 2003-4.

Andy was sick of Gilbert, and he didn't feel llike staying in Masters Cup to
fight anymore.

After USO 03, he wasn't really training right.

aceit
01-17-2005, 05:01 AM
Heya, are you a Roddick fan? Your posts sometimes confuze me. :p

Deboogle!.
01-17-2005, 05:02 AM
She loves him, she's just very tough on him:)

Leena
01-17-2005, 05:04 AM
Oh my goodness I'm so sad. I missed most of Brad and his commintating skills because I had a tennis clinic when ESPN was showing the tennis. I think i'll be crying myself to sleep tonight.
Luckily, Brad didn't commentate.

He just sat in the "studio" with Chris Fowler. Why the hell does Fowler still do the Aussie Open?

Havok
01-17-2005, 05:43 AM
Why does Fowler do any tennis crap anyways? Thank god they axed him doing actual commentary during matches though, he was definitely the pitts.

Leena
01-17-2005, 05:46 AM
Why does Fowler do any tennis crap anyways? Thank god they axed him doing actual commentary during matches though, he was definitely the pitts.
I really have no idea...

He does a fine job with college football and bball, and college bball starts to get serious around this time.

He seriously has no clue about tennis.

aceit
01-17-2005, 05:51 AM
Luckily, Brad didn't commentate.

He just sat in the "studio" with Chris Fowler. Why the hell does Fowler still do the Aussie Open?
I saw when they were talking to Serena. I hope he goes and coach her because she is about as annoying as him. Except Serena would have to make BG wear something a little more than his black shirts. :rolleyes:

Deboogle!.
01-17-2005, 07:14 AM
Cool! AR.com put up an AO page special thing... some new pics from the American Express thing yesterday and whatnot

http://www.andyroddick.com/australian_open_2005.php

And YAY Andy is third on Rod Laver tomorrow after an 11am start = should be live on ESPN2 tomorrow night!

aceit
01-17-2005, 03:11 PM
I guess the good thing about Andy being American is that we will be shown coverage for every match of his on ESPN. ;)

thelma
01-17-2005, 03:24 PM
I can't wait.. :o

Deboogle!.
01-17-2005, 04:30 PM
Video of Andy :) http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/interactive/tv/index.html

superpinkone37
01-17-2005, 05:31 PM
haha thanks :kiss:

aceit
01-17-2005, 06:00 PM
Thanks Deb. :)

Deboogle!.
01-17-2005, 06:02 PM
You're welcome :) I love hearing all the Australians talk.... their accents!! :hearts: :inlove:

aceit
01-17-2005, 06:04 PM
You're welcome :) I love hearing all the Australians talk.... their accents!! :hearts: :inlove:
Me too!!! My favorite was that woman, "Agassi is a hawtie." :p

Deboogle!.
01-17-2005, 06:10 PM
Me too!!! My favorite was that woman, "Agassi is a hawtie." :p

:haha: :haha: yes, both for the accent and just the way she said it!! I love Andre, but hottie isn't the first word that comes to mind!

So is anyone else like really excited about Andy's match tonight (notice Caro, I said EXCITED and not nervous :p)??! :dance: I expect you all (yes, you *points*) to be on MSN :p

superpinkone37
01-17-2005, 06:15 PM
of course Deb! Well actually nervous too, not becuase I think he will lose but anxious and nervous to see how he is actually playing. But of course I will be running from the computer to the tv back and forth...I really need a laptop lmao

And that lady in that video talking about Andre....I can so see my mom saying that to some reporter so it cracked me up :lol:

Deboogle!.
01-17-2005, 06:17 PM
LMFAO I have this great mental picture of you running back and forth between rooms :lol:

I can't wait to meet your mom, she sounds so :cool:!!

superpinkone37
01-17-2005, 06:30 PM
:cool:? Well I guess she can be sometimes, but she can also be incredibly embarassing lol. I guess I'm lucky that where the computer is, is essentially an extension of the living room where the tv is...so I can hear it but have to actually walk into the room to see the tv :lol:

Deboogle!.
01-17-2005, 06:33 PM
:cool:? Well I guess she can be sometimes, but she can also be incredibly embarassing lol.

well ALL moms can be incredibly embarrassing!! But not all moms are :cool: yours sounds :cool: hehe!

Oh, you guys all wanted MORE BRAD, I know you did. All of his predictions were pretty much wrong. BAHAHAHA
=========

1.16.2005 -

It's funny how quickly things can change in tennis. The two tours have flip flopped. The women have become totally unpredictable and the men's event should have few surprises. The draws are out and the womens field is as wide as I've ever seen it. It used to be that there was only a handful of women that had a shot at winning a slam, this year I'd say that there are potentially 8 or 9 women that could take the title this year. With the men I think that there are only 5 guys who can win it.

In all my time around the game I have never seen the odds so strong in one mans favor (4/7), once again Federer has set a new standard. Not even with Pete, as good as he was, he never had these kind of odds.

Federer is my pick for the men and Andre is my sentimental pick, he is the only guy that relishes playing Roger and could meet him in the quarters. I saw AA yesterday and he said that his hip is better but that he won't know for sure until he has to really push on it. Andy is in the best part of the draw and could meet up with Hewitt in the semis. Hewitt is excited about being on the opposite side of the draw as Federer. He's feeling good, he got the new chic apparel, no sleeves on his shirts, and he's talking like Federer is the only guy other than him in the tournament. He's in a fued with the tournament director because he feels the court is too slow. I can tell you this; if it gets above 40 these courts will be plenty fast, especially by the second week. A couple of interesting first round matches: Gimblestob will beat Guadio and I'll be very interested in seeing what happens between Monfils and Ginepri on court 21. What impresses me most about the young Frenchman is his movement, especially for being such a big guy. More on Monfils later...

There are so many possibilities with the women. I'm predicting that an American wins it. The only Russian I think that could win it would be Maria. Serena has announced that she is fit, if it true she's going to be trouble. Venus has a tricky 1st round match against Danilidou. My upset prediction is Stosur taking out Mauresmo. The mercurial Frenchwoman has not played a match since mid November and could be rusty and Sam has been in finals the last two weekends.

If you're in Melbourne and you want to spot a few top teners check out Koko's. I have a lot of respect for the Aussies, they know their tennis and make an awesome brew. Carlton Cold is a straight cousin of Bud Ice and I'd also like to give props to Haan Ice lager.

Golfnduck
01-17-2005, 06:33 PM
I'm so excited for Andy's match!!!!! Let's get win #1 in style!!!! Yesterday there were a lot of upsets, especially Moya. I think it goes to show that Federer, Andy, Hewitt, and Safin are at the top of the men's game.

Breakaway
01-17-2005, 06:38 PM
I know it's been said a million and two times. But Andy is sooo much better of W/O Brad! :cool:

And Go Andy!!! :D

Deboogle!.
01-17-2005, 06:47 PM
I know it's been said a million and two times. But Andy is sooo much better of W/O Brad! :cool:

Well, hopefully ;) *fingers crossed* We shall find out tonight, I guess. Hopefully Andy comes out on FIYAH :lol:

btw, did you guys notice all the new fans our buddy Irakli has all of a sudden??? :scratch: :p

superpinkone37
01-17-2005, 06:54 PM
btw, did you guys notice all the new fans our buddy Irakli has all of a sudden??? :scratch: :p

Haha Deb, but that was to be expected right? ;) Anyways, they should be showing Andre in a few minutes right? I'm gonna watch it and try to work on some homework at the same time because I know I wont be able to be multitasking during Andys match later on. Talk to you guys later....though I know I will most liekly be back on here soon because well, you know lol

aceit
01-17-2005, 07:01 PM
"Your so ignorant. Gosssssh I liked him all along. You RodDUCK fans really are annoying. GO IRAKI!!!"

Deboogle!.
01-17-2005, 07:01 PM
"Your so ignorant. Gosssssh I liked him all along. You RodDUCK fans really are annoying. GO IRAKI!!!"

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

smucav
01-17-2005, 07:41 PM
The AMEX commercial has a new tagline:

Instead of text ("the official card of confidence"), there is an Andy voiceover: "my life is about confidence, my card is American Express."

superpinkone37
01-17-2005, 08:18 PM
Yes. I noticed that too :).

heya
01-17-2005, 08:43 PM
I yawn after seeing the 2nd version of the commercial. Andy looks to be in agony and without a trophy. There's nothing funny about it.

Deboogle!.
01-17-2005, 09:03 PM
ooooohhhhh come on heya, it's funny when he gets bonked on the head! You know you love it :devil:

aceit
01-17-2005, 09:06 PM
ooooohhhhh come on heya, it's funny when he gets bonked on the head! You know you love it :devil:
I laugh every time. Well, not really but I love it. :p

Let's just hope that they won't have to show the second version of the commericial these next two weeks. :)

superpinkone37
01-17-2005, 09:27 PM
I laugh every time. Well, not really but I love it.

I think I actually do laugh everytime :sobbing:

Deboogle!.
01-17-2005, 09:32 PM
I think I actually do laugh everytime :sobbing:

I think I do too... a giggle, anyway :bigcry:

aceit, the new av!!!!!! :haha:

heya
01-17-2005, 09:33 PM
IMO, Andy feels like a traitor whenever he's not on TV and in charities.
I'm surprised that he's not a tearful, masochistic soap opera star.
He was a drama queen last year. :scared: I was horrified and very sad.

Even Safin wouldn't do that tiring AMEX commercial. :bolt:

snaillyyy
01-17-2005, 09:35 PM
:haha: :haha: yes, both for the accent and just the way she said it!! I love Andre, but hottie isn't the first word that comes to mind!

So is anyone else like really excited about Andy's match tonight (notice Caro, I said EXCITED and not nervous :p)??! :dance: I expect you all (yes, you *points*) to be on MSN :p

Thanks for the video Deb :D :D Just love listening to them all talk :cool:

You know I will not be able to stay away from MSN tonight :p so I better do some work now so I wont feel so guilty being here later :D

aceit
01-17-2005, 09:51 PM
aceit, the new av!!!!!! :haha:
Hehe. But I changed it again. It may make you cry. It's crappy quality, but I'm too lazy to spend time on it. :p

EDIT: Nevermind. I changed it once again. :p

heya
01-17-2005, 10:17 PM
OH PLEASE, don't reply to the Andy bashing threads disguised as Brad Gilbert info threads We don't need more false info spreading around..
(Attention-seeker Dirk's foaming at the mouth again).

Somehow... the delusional, naive, hyperactive hypocrites forgot to take Prozac.

Deboogle!.
01-17-2005, 10:29 PM
Hehe. But I changed it again. It may make you cry. It's crappy quality, but I'm too lazy to spend time on it. :p

EDIT: Nevermind. I changed it once again. :p

awww so I never got to see the one that was in the middle :( Damn :ras:

this one is funny though ;)

aceit
01-17-2005, 10:41 PM
awww so I never got to see the one that was in the middle :( Damn :ras:

this one is funny though ;)
It was depressing. It had a picture close up of Mardy post-buzz cut and it just said on the bottom in big bold letters MARDY? I think this one is a little more easy on the eyes. ;)

Deboogle!.
01-17-2005, 10:43 PM
HAHAHAHAHA ohhhhhh... I thought about making a Mardy one too, actually. But I couldn't think of a funny tagline :p So I'll just hope that Andy makes a funny face and it's photographed tonight so that I have something new to make fun of ;)

Golfnduck
01-17-2005, 10:43 PM
OH PLEASE, don't reply to the Andy bashing threads disguised as Brad Gilbert info threads We don't need more false info spreading around..
(Attention-seeker Dirk's foaming at the mouth again).

Somehow... the delusional, naive, hyperactive hypocrites forgot to take Prozac.
Isn't Dirk always foaming at the mouth, such a rabid poster.

andyroxmysox12191
01-17-2005, 11:07 PM
I dunno if I'll be on MSN....it's showing here at 10:30 isn't it? I have school tomorrow :ras:
I laugh everytime I see that Amex commercial :bigcry: I fell out of my seat laughing last night when it came on:rolls:

superpinkone37
01-17-2005, 11:10 PM
well Mani....you fall doing almost anything you do so we can't really use you as an example ;) ....jk Mani, you know I love you :hug:
But yeah I think I always laugh a little every time I see it :lol:

andyroxmysox12191
01-17-2005, 11:21 PM
:ras: Just cause I have a forever-more-always-tripping-falling-hurt-all-the-time-and-now-I'm-cold disorder does not give you the right to not make me an example for laughing and falling out of my chair :ras: ;) I love you too :hug:
I always laugh :bigcry:

tangerine_dream
01-17-2005, 11:22 PM
Isn't Dirk always foaming at the mouth, such a rabid poster.

Dirk's a drooler.

heya
01-17-2005, 11:25 PM
When Fed loses his number 1 ranking, Dirk will explode as much as PMac will.
Commentators turned into clones of Dirk and the other troll that posted fake scores. Suddenly, they have no memory of who beat Federer--they boast about Tomas Berdych, but no Hrbaty.
ESPN is the Anti-Roddick show, thanks to Back-Stabbing PMac & Company.

Deboogle!.
01-17-2005, 11:30 PM
So you guys know how Serena was up in the ESPN studio with Brad and Fowler yesterday after her match? I wonder if they'll do that after Andy wins tonight :devil: now THAT would be interesting!

aceit
01-17-2005, 11:36 PM
Deb, that would be so funny! I hope BG commentates Roddick's match, yet all he's been doing is talking with Fowler the whole damn time.

When Fed loses his number 1 ranking, Dirk will explode as much as PMac will.
Commentators turned into clones of Dirk and the other troll that posted fake scores. Suddenly, they have no memory of who beat Federer--they boast about Tomas Berdych, but no Hrbaty.
ESPN is the Anti-Roddick show, thanks to Back-Stabbing PMac & Company.
What? The last chance they could (DC final), Mal kissed Roddick's ass to the extreme. He kept saying that Roddick had a great chance until about half way into it. :p Trust me, I'm a huuuuuuuuuuge Roddick fan, but they are so Pro-Roddick that it's not even funny. Maybe they will tone it down a bit with BG there, but they LOVE him.

"they boast about Tomas Berdych" << I think because he's so young and he could be one of those rising stars.

And as for the Federer thing, Johnny Mac will explode waaay before his brother will. Yet I don't see Federer losing his #1 ranking (and if he does it will be temperarily).

Wow that sounded Anti-Roddick. But ESPN is anything but that.

superpinkone37
01-17-2005, 11:45 PM
So you guys know how Serena was up in the ESPN studio with Brad and Fowler yesterday after her match? I wonder if they'll do that after Andy wins tonight :devil: now THAT would be interesting!

Its so bad that I really, really want to see that happen :devil: I am just so curious to see what will happen... and I think I'll be dissapointed if he is there for all the other matches and just happens to be gone after Andy's match...

aceit
01-17-2005, 11:47 PM
I just got a lovely thought. Imagine if Brad and Serena had a child. :spit:

Deboogle!.
01-17-2005, 11:49 PM

:bigcry: THANKS! Now I'm gonna have nightmares!!!!!!!!!

Golfnduck
01-17-2005, 11:52 PM
OMG!!! You could rock me to sleep tonight. That would be an odd looking child.

aceit
01-17-2005, 11:52 PM
:bigcry: THANKS! Now I'm gonna have nightmares!!!!!!!!!
Go ahead. Have nightmares in your WARM place. :p

Just kidding. :hug:

andyroxmysox12191
01-17-2005, 11:53 PM
:eek: *runs away*

aceit
01-17-2005, 11:53 PM
I really know how to scare people away. ;)

andyroxmysox12191
01-17-2005, 11:54 PM
Yes you do :bigcry: I dont like that idea! :eek:

superpinkone37
01-18-2005, 12:01 AM
:scared:

heya
01-18-2005, 12:12 AM
:haha:
Do you see the insincerity? They have their agendas, and they say what they think ESPN and Americans want to hear.

They praise Andy's personality during Davis Cup.
Of course, Mary Carillo did say "I don't want to call Andy an overachiever, but he just bludgeons the ball." She begged for Andy to hire Brad, but she didn't know that he was inept on clay as a coach and player.
She made fun of Andy's interviews; said how he couldn't put a sentence together 4 years ago. She adores Fed and Moya, not Andy.

Mal's a cheerleader, but we know he won't accept that Andy can become great on all court surfaces. One-dimensional was his description of Andy, but did he know anything about Andy's desire and background? Again, he's not a fair judge of Andy.
He adores Fed and Moya.

Drysdale asked, "Is Roddick good enough without the serve?" He argued that it's better than Sampras' serve. :yawn:
Fed fan, not Andy fan.

I really like Berdych, but they left out Hrbaty's win in Cincinnati 1st rd.

aceit
01-18-2005, 12:35 AM
Fed fan, not Andy fan.
I think the whole point is that fan wouldn't be an appropriate word to use. They cheer for whoever will bring up the ratings, and thats Roddick.

But when they are on USA it's a whole other story because they can actually be honest there. Federer is by far the best and no one can argue with that. They have a right to worship him because he'll probably go down as the best of his time.

Not trying to argue. But I just think espn LOVES Andy. But we'll see tonight, won't we? :)

momentlost
01-18-2005, 12:36 AM
:haha: :haha:

Oh, that's frightening :bolt:

All I can picture is Brad's hairy chest. And eeesh, both of their huge egos combined into one child? Dammit, if only I were Conan O'Brian and could do a segment of "If They Mated".

snaillyyy
01-18-2005, 01:22 AM

OMG! I thought I was scared after Mardy's hair fiasco but that image has the making of a horror movie :eek: :eek:

Carito_90
01-18-2005, 02:14 AM
So is anyone else like really excited about Andy's match tonight (notice Caro, I said EXCITED and not nervous :p )??! :dance: I expect you all (yes, you *points*) to be on MSN :p

I repeat: I'll have to see it to believe it ;) :lol: :kiss:

superpinkone37
01-18-2005, 03:03 AM
less than a half an hour!! :woohoo:

aceit
01-18-2005, 03:20 AM
One more darn point for Molik and then Andy is on!

Havok
01-18-2005, 03:23 AM
Who's abs are those?:speakles:

Deboogle!.
01-18-2005, 03:23 AM
aceit, you don't have MSN do you? :(

LMFAO Naldo!

aceit
01-18-2005, 03:24 AM
Safin. ;)

It's a few years old but I couldn't find a newer pic that wasn't watermarked all over.

aceit
01-18-2005, 03:28 AM
aceit, you don't have MSN do you? :(
I don't. :sad: Maybe after midterms (next Friday they end) I'll get it just to talk with you guys. I'm already distracted enough with this site and the AO. It's the absolute WORST time for midterms. Goodness, just because only like .00001% of my school cares about tennis dosen't mean they can do this to me! :( :p

Breakaway
01-18-2005, 03:29 AM
Go Andy!! :bounce:

Leena
01-18-2005, 03:36 AM
Andy starting soon!

Katdiva7
01-18-2005, 04:42 AM
Everytime I have seen him come to the net so far he has won the point, one might think he would do this more often

Deboogle!.
01-18-2005, 05:23 AM
uhhhhhhh that was the most hilarious match I have EVER SEEN!!!!!!!!! Andy looked so bored and annoyed! I've never laughed OUTLOUD at a real tennis match before like that LMAO DEATH!

and I'm annoyed that DOUG was wearing the green shirt and Andy wore some pukey beige.

http://images.sportsline.com/u/ap/photos/MEL143011800_1024x768.jpg
http://images.sportsline.com/u/ap/photos/MEL139011800_1024x768.jpg
http://images.sportsline.com/u/ap/photos/MEL140011800_1024x768.jpg
http://images.sportsline.com/u/ap/photos/MEL141011800_1024x768.jpg
http://images.sportsline.com/u/ap/photos/MEL142011800_1024x768.jpg

tangerine_dream
01-18-2005, 05:28 AM
After that first scrappy set, Andy really settled in and did well, considering that this was his first live match of the year. He returned very well; his volleys were good; he's moving great. He seems a bit more patient, a bit thinner, and he's not wasting his energy coming out blazing in the first rounds only to lose steam by the Quarters. :D

His outfit is nice too (even if the color is boring; where is the lime green??). Not a great match but a good start, either way. Greggy will be a tougher test for him.

Is it my imagination or did Andy also start out at AO last year with a crazy opponent in a shit match? Didn't Andy play Gonzo in the first round last year? Remember how bad *that* match was?

God, I hope 2005 won't be a repeat of 2004. :unsure:

Éowyn
01-18-2005, 05:28 AM
good match labadze made me laugh especially when he went and sat down to avoid getting hit :) and andy talking to the umpire when she got hit "how'd that feel?" bless she should be glad it wasn't andy's serve :)
i liked andys grey shirt too it was nice.
only bad point was bloody stupid eurosport talked all over andy being interviewed on court all we got to hear was the crowd laughing :firey: i swear they think everyone here must not enjoy tennis and only wants to see tim, idiots!

will be interesting to see how he does agains't greg another lefty at least he uses his backhand

MaitaBaby
01-18-2005, 05:45 AM
Yay! Andy won pretty easily! A good start most definitely.
I don't like his shirt and trucker very much though. The color's boring.

Deboogle!.
01-18-2005, 05:48 AM
I'm still laughing about this match :lol: Andy was laughing about it too. He seems cool with playing Greg though, so that's good...

http://images.sportsline.com/u/ap/photos/MEL146011800_1024x768.jpg

Mr. Man
01-18-2005, 05:51 AM
Good win Andy. 1 down 6 to go. Right? hahaha. I forgot how many rounds are in a slam. Doh.

Deboogle!.
01-18-2005, 05:57 AM
yea, 6 more to go :)

http://images.sportsline.com/u/ap/photos/MEL149011800_1024x768.jpg
http://images.sportsline.com/u/ap/photos/MEL147011800_1024x768.jpg

Havok
01-18-2005, 05:59 AM
Yes you got it right. Like the new trucker hat. More subtle than his other ones.:p

MaitaBaby
01-18-2005, 06:04 AM
when will he play Greg?

Deboogle!.
01-18-2005, 06:11 AM
Thursday, they seem to think it'll be a night match :ras:

http://www.gotennis.com/Photos/2005-01-18T060053Z_01_MEL112D_RTRIDSP_2_SPORT-TENNIS-OPEN.jpg

http://images.sportsline.com/u/ap/photos/MEL156011801_1024x768.jpg

http://www.gotennis.com/Photos/2005-01-18T061125Z_01_MEL113D_RTRIDSP_2_SPORT-TENNIS-OPEN.jpg

superpinkone37
01-18-2005, 06:12 AM
ummm thursday, dunno if it will be a day or night match

Leena
01-18-2005, 06:15 AM
I really don't like the shirt. That gray ugly color is so boring.

Match was fun today.

Labadze is a fat freak.

It's weird seeing Labadze, followed by Dave Nalbandian. Should give some hope to couch potatoes.

Éowyn
01-18-2005, 06:24 AM
just loking at this pic and i have to ask
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v23/thewhiteladyofrohan/arodpics/2005/AO/labadze/MEL140011800_1024x768.jpg

what the hells up with the inside of his right arm? is that just weird light on a weird camera angle or has he got some sort of huge lump inside his arm?

MaitaBaby
01-18-2005, 06:28 AM
Oh ok, thanks!

I don't see the lump..

Deboogle!.
01-18-2005, 06:30 AM
JJ I think it's just the lighting

http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20050118/i/r2955853995.jpg

http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20050118/i/r2429564115.jpg

Éowyn
01-18-2005, 06:31 AM
end of his shirt inside his right elbow

Éowyn
01-18-2005, 06:33 AM
i hope so debs coz it's rather freaky it was just one of those thingsi looked at and was like wtf is that? lols! thanks for the pics btw they're all going up on my lj community and i'm hoping tangy will put them on Ro coz i have to sleep as i'm menat to be working in 3 and half hours oops!

Deboogle!.
01-18-2005, 06:39 AM
Well that's just what it seemed to me. if it's something else I'm sure it's fine :)

http://images.sportsline.com/u/ap/photos/MEL160011801_1024x768.jpg

MaitaBaby
01-18-2005, 07:11 AM
oh yeah, now I see it. I think it's just the lighting too. :)

heya
01-18-2005, 08:58 AM
I don't see why he can't play top 5 tennis for 15 years.
I'm glad he's not a robot, though.

Goldfine wiote down notes about Andy's laziness.
The stud has strong arms + long legs.
So, he better zap the returns earlier and harder.
People don't even understand that his movement and shots aren't fast ENOUGH.
Just his serve should slow down sometimes.

Andy hit the corners and lines, and that STILL was substandard for him.
The ESPN Crew should go to hell because they won't accept that he can do anythng. :devil:

k-rod83
01-18-2005, 09:16 AM
did anyone notice that when andy pulled his shirt up to wipe and showed his stomache.....he has abs....proper janmike abs...not as defined but they look sexy and dean is god for getting his ass into shape. didnt see the whole match as i fel asleep unaware at 3-1 in 2nd set....luckilly i taped it. its gone 5am by the time it finished..im now watching henman and waiting for the davenport match.

J. Corwin
01-18-2005, 09:52 AM
What an overall scrappy match from Andy. :retard: Played well in the latter two sets but his forehand, IMO, lands too short in the court 80% of the time. Need to drive it a lot more. :)

I was pleasantly surprised by the extra TV coverage! :D Venus looked OK but the damn ESPN transmission failed (again) at 5-4 in the 2nd just when it was getting competitive. :lol:

thelma
01-18-2005, 12:57 PM
Go Andy! :yeah: :banana: :bounce:

Marina 1203
01-18-2005, 02:23 PM
GO ANDY !!!!!!!!!! I LOVE YOU :)

Deboogle!.
01-18-2005, 03:15 PM
A. RODDICK/I. Labadze

7‑5, 6‑2, 6‑1

Q. Can you tell us about your split with Brad?

ANDY RODDICK: That took a while (smiling). Do you want to ask a more specific question maybe?

Q. I'll try to think of one.

ANDY RODDICK: Well, I mean, what part do you want to know about, Bud?

Q. How it happened, why it happened.

ANDY RODDICK: I just felt like that the relationship had run its course. I had plateaued a little bit at the end of last year and definitely needed, you know, to try to get something ‑‑ to get a fresh start.

You know, I think Brad and I did a great job, and we worked very well together for a year and a half. You know, just decided it was time to go in a new direction.

Q. Did that mean you were disappointed in the year overall, Andy?

ANDY RODDICK: No, no. No, not at all. I feel like it was as good of a year as you could have without it being a great one.

But, you know, at the same time I felt like, you know, towards the last six months or so, I had stopped kind of improving. And that's something I definitely wanted to work on.

Q. How did you break the news to him and what was his reaction?

ANDY RODDICK: I called him, and we spoke for a while. You know, obviously he was disappointed. I mean, I was disappointed, too. It's never fun when you have, you know, a good amount of success with someone, and you part ways.

But, you know, he's been good about it.

Q. There's been talk about the courts. How did you find them today out there?

ANDY RODDICK: They got lines, nets and everything. It's good (smiling).

Q. What about the speed?

ANDY RODDICK: I'm fine with it. I'm never one to really notice too much. I guess that requires feel, and I don't really have that in surplus (laughter).

You know, I like it. You know, Rebound Ace, it's supposed to be a little bit slower and bounce a little bit higher. Those are kind of the characteristics that you come to expect from it.

Q. Can you compare it to last year at all?

ANDY RODDICK: I don't ‑‑ I don't really remember last year too much. Sorry.

Q. How do you feel about playing Greg on that surface?

ANDY RODDICK: Well, Greg's an uncomfortable match on any surface. He's going to hit big serves, he's going to be all over the net and he's going to be very intense. So, you know, regardless of the surface, he's able to kind of enforce his game on you a little bit.

Q. How comfortable have you been in the past and are you still playing against him?

ANDY RODDICK: Yeah. Obviously, he took me apart pretty good in '02 at Wimbledon. But that was a long time ago, and I've gotten him three times since then.

But he's tough. You know, like I said, it's a tricky match. And I'll definitely have to, you know, try to pick it up a little bit.

Q. In a sense, is it good preparation to have played a lefty today?

ANDY RODDICK: Oh, for sure. Absolutely. You know, I think it's very beneficial.

Q. What do you expect your new coach to bring to your game?

ANDY RODDICK: More than anything, I'm happy with his work ethic. I mean, I think we put in a lot of good time together in the off‑season. You know, we're obviously working on getting in a little bit more, the transition game, just kind of becoming a better athlete out there.

Q. Dean is a radically different personality than Brad in a lot of ways.

ANDY RODDICK: Yeah.

Q. Is that part of the decision, too, to kind of change that approach to some degree?

ANDY RODDICK: You know, you can go on personality, but I was just going on chemistry. I had spent a little time with Dean at the Olympics and during the Davis Cup year, and I really liked, you know, how he went about things. You know, I kind of liked our whole chemistry together. That's one of the main reasons.

Q. And how is your ankle?

ANDY RODDICK: It feels fine. You know, it's just a little uncomfortable. I just jammed it a little bit. But it's nothing that's going to stop me from playing.

Q. Did you feel it at times today?

ANDY RODDICK: Very little. I mean, like I said, it's just a little uncomfortable. But it's not something that's hindering me at all.

Q. Do you feel that the spotlight has been off you, considering you're the second seed, because people have been talking mostly about Roger and Lleyton and other issues, as well? Do you feel the spotlight has been off you last week and this week?

ANDY RODDICK: Oh, I don't know. You know, obviously being in Lleyton's home country, that's not surprising. With Roger playing the way he has, he definitely deserves all the spotlight. But that's not something I'm really too concerned with right now.

Q. Do you prefer it that way, just being able to go on quietly with the focus on everyone else?

ANDY RODDICK: To be honest, you know, from the inside looking out, with the exception of something like the US Open, I don't really notice it that much. You know, I'm not, you know, searching through the papers every morning to see what's been written or anything like that.

You know, I kind of just try to go business as usual. You know, I think people kind of around the game notice it a little bit more than I would.

Q. You say you stopped making progress. Have you felt with Dean that there is a new progression in your play?

ANDY RODDICK: I hope so. I feel that way. And obviously time will tell. I mean, let's be honest, it's been a month. So, you know, if you could completely overhaul a guy who is 2 in the world in a month and make him improve a lot, then, hell, I got a great deal, didn't I (smiling)?

But, you know, that's the goal.

Q. Was today a good way to get the ball rolling for you in this tournament?

ANDY RODDICK: Yeah. I'm in the next round, so that's what we were looking for. Obviously, you know, it wasn't great tennis in the first set. But the last couple sets, I felt like I started hitting the ball a little bit better. You'd rather have momentum going that way than backwards.

Q. Who is better, McEnroe or Courier in the interview business?

ANDY RODDICK: Well, they're different. But Jim was pretty relaxed out there. I think he made it fun for the crowd and asked some interesting questions.

But it was all in good fun.

http://www.australianopen.com/images/pics/large/b_0118_aroddick_01.jpg
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/afp/20050118/capt.sge.cjt01.180105075822.photo00.photo.default-316x384.jpg
http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/imagedata/0,1658,410822,00.jpg

A-Rod not about to weaken
Karl deKroo
19jan05

A NEW coach, a new season and the A-Rod is ready to fire.

That was the message from world No. 2 Andy Roddick after he swept into the second round with an eye-catching 7-5 6-2 6-1 win against Georgian Irakli Labadze yesterday.
While happy for Roger Federer and Lleyton Hewitt to hog the headline, Roddick is not about to play second fiddle at Melbourne Park.

Having recently split with coach Brad Gilbert, Roddick has linked with US Davis Cup assistant coach Dean Goldfine and says he is ready to mount a major charge.

"I feel good, I'm through to the next round, so that's what you're looking for," Roddick said after blasting the world No. 70 into submission.

"Today it wasn't great tennis in the first set, but the last couple of sets felt like I started hitting the ball a little better."

Roddick was tested by the big-hitting Labadze early, but when the popular American found range on his trademark serve and blistering forehand, it was no contest.

While not disappointed with his achievements last season, Roddick hopes Goldfine can take his game to another level.

The 2003 US Open winner and last year's Wimbledon finalist can feel Hewitt breathing down his neck.

Last year he struggled to compete with Federer, who holds an impressive 8-1 head-to-head record against his nearest rival.

"I felt the relationship had run its course," Roddick said of his split with Gilbert.

"I had plateaued a little bit at the end of last year and needed to try to get something . . . to get a fresh start.

"I had a little time with Dean (Goldfine) at the Olympics and during the Davis Cup and and I really liked how he went about things. I kind of liked our chemistry together."

Roddick faces a tricky match in the second round against the rejuvenated Greg Rusedski. The big-serving Brit said he was aiming to reclaim a place in world top 20 after two seasons disrupted by injury and a drug allegation, of which he was later cleared.

andy_c76
01-18-2005, 03:25 PM

:worship: :lol:

Deboogle!.
01-18-2005, 03:33 PM
World No.2 felt need for new direction
Patrick Miles
January 19, 2005
FOR a man who has accumulated almost $US8 million ($10.6m) in prizemoney at the age of 22, reached No.1 in the world rankings and won his home Grand Slam singles title, Andy Roddick is difficult to please.

Brad Gilbert -- former top-10 player, master coach and chatterbox extraordinaire -- would be the first to testify to his fellow American's demands for perfection.

After a season in which Roddick won $US2.6m and four titles, helped the US to its first Davis Cup final since 1997 and set the record for fastest serve, he sacked Gilbert as his coach.

In mitigation, he could have pointed to the fact that he had slipped in the rankings but as he had finished 2003 at No.1, there was only one way to go.

Now he finds himself at No.2 and with a new coach, Larry Goldfine, his third in less than two years after what appeared to be fruitful periods with Frenchman Tarik Benhabiles, then Gilbert, who had previously coached Andre Agassi.

Although his relationship with compatriot Goldfine is only a month old, it has begun on the right note, Roddick having advanced to the second round at Melbourne Park yesterday with a 7-5 6-2 6-1 win over No.75-ranked Irakli Labadze of Georgia.

Roddick, who is seeded to meet Lleyton Hewitt in the semi-finals next week, attempted to explain his decision to change coaches.

"I just felt like the relationship (with Gilbert) had run its course," Roddick said.

"I had plateaued a little bit at the end of last year and definitely needed to try to get a fresh start.

"I think Brad and I did a great job, and we worked very well together for a year and a half. I just decided it was time to go in a new direction."

Like Hewitt, Roddick found Roger Federer a constant thorn in his side last season.

He lost to the Swiss in the Wimbledon final, and on two other occasions in finals during the year.

"I feel like it was as good a year as you could have without it being a great one," Roddick said.

"At the same time, I felt like, towards the last six months or so, I had stopped improving; and that's something I definitely wanted to work on."

After a tentative start yesterday, he had worked up a full head of steam by the third set, unleashing numerous earth-shattering serves, including 11 aces -- the fastest at 226km/h.

With all the talk of Federer's forward defensive strokes the previous day, it was perhaps appropriate that Roddick test the left-handed Labadze with a few bouncers.

The most vicious came at 4-2 in the second set, when a first delivery from Roddick flew straight at the head of the Georgian, who, in cricket-textbook manner, swayed rather than ducked -- although it could well have been a purely instinctive act of self-preservation.

That serve stopped the radar at 220km/h, still some way short of Roddick's best of 249km/h recorded in a home Davis Cup tie last year.

He used to share the speed record with Greg Rusedski, the Canadian-turned-Briton who will be his next opponent.

Facing Labadze turned out to be good preparation for the left-handed Rusedski, who, this time last year, was fighting to clear his name after failing a drugs test.

------------------
----------------------
--------------------------------

Roddick keeps fans entertained
By Richard Hinds
January 19, 2005

No prizes for guessing who is No. 1 with these spectators as Andy Roddick warms up before his match yesterday.

For about 35 minutes, there was an outside chance Andy Roddick might do something unprecedented to amuse the entertainment-starved centre-court crowd. Locked at 5-5 with Georgian Irakli Labadze, it seemed possible the second-seeded American could lose a set.

If this had happened, Roddick and Labadze would have introduced an exciting new concept to the Rod Laver Arena competition. In the previous seven matches spanning the first day-and-a-half of the Australian Open, the favourites Serena Williams, Roger Federer, Andre Agassi, Amelie Mauresmo, Marat Safin, Guillermo Coria and Alicia Molik had won their matches without so much as being taken to a tie-breaker. Usually towels are brought on to court to wipe up sweat. This year, they were being brought out to wipe up beaten flunkeys.

But the fantasy of a split-sets match did not last long. Serving at 5-6 and 40-15, the Georgian couldn't close out the game, Roddick snatched the set and the encounter suddenly descended into the one-sided depths of its predecessors, Roddick romping away to a 7-5, 6-2, 6-1 victory.

The crowd did get some value for money. Watching the rubber-wristed American slam down a serve so ferocious that Labadze had to duck out of the way raised a laugh. When Labadze sat down in a linesman's chair rather than even attempt to retrieve a ball Roddick was about to crunch into the upper deck, there were the customary chuckles. And the fans gave Labadze a loud cheer when he finally thwacked a big winner.

But, given the Georgian was two sets, a break of serve and 40-0 down at the time, it was more the sort of encouraging ovation a child might get for finally remembering his lines at a school recital than the real thing. Indeed, so hapless was Labadze he could not even get away with screaming a swear word in Russian without being called for an audible obscenity by a multi-lingual chair umpire.

Not that losing to Roddick is any disgrace. Once he got going, the American produced an impressive repertoire of powerful strokes and deft angles. Rainforests had been endangered to print all the pre-tournament predictions about local hope Lleyton Hewitt and defending champion Roger Federer. But the second seed remains a considerable title threat.

Perhaps Roddick had slipped under the radar because, as with Hewitt, he had spent most of 2004 standing awkwardly in the background while Federer gave yet another victory speech. He clearly did not enjoy the experience, sacking his coach Brad Gilbert, the man who had previously been credited with invigorating his game.

Roddick said he had stagnated under Gilbert, which, for a man who is so hyperactive he makes Molly Meldrum seem like a statue, is not a situation to be tolerated. Under new coach Dean Goldfine, Roddick expects to become a better athlete and, a month into their partnership, things seem to going well.

Given the lack of competition yesterday, it was Roddick's value as an entertainer on and off court that appealed as much as his athleticism. With Speedgate - the Hewitt-inspired controversy about the pace of Melbourne Park's Rebound Ace - ongoing, Roddick was asked what he thought of the court. "They got lines, nets and everything," he replied. "It's good."

OK, it wasn't Jerry Seinfeld. It wasn't even the late Rodney Dangerfield.

But at a tournament where the most amusing thing on the Rod Laver Arena so far has been the word "Melbourne" - painted in bold white letters, presumably to educate those under the mistaken impression that this year's Australian Open is being held in Bulawayo - it wasn't a bad line. Hopefully, Roddick will continue to entertain - not just with his smart mouth, but also in the face of some meaningful opposition.

=========================
========================
==========================

Andy Lambasts Labadze
2005-01-18
This was the first time Andy had faced the big hitting lefty from Georgia, but proved to have too much game, defeating his opponent 7-5, 6-2, 6-1.

It was a keenly fought first set in which Irakli Labadze clawed his way back after going 0-40 down after 3 consecutive double faults in the 2nd game. Neither player took excessive risks, although Labadze routinely blasted his forehand. Andy served only one ace in the set, but demonstrated his commitment to getting to the net while achieving a 69 percent success rate.

In the 2nd set, Andy began to get his rhythm while Labadze began to fade. Andy was only in trouble once in the seventh game when he went 0-40 down but some ferocious serving (one of which almost decapitated his opponent)reprieved him. After this he cruised to a 6-2 second set win.

Labadze's game collapsed in the third set winning only one game. Hitting twice as many unforced errors as Andy, including seven double faults, certainly did not help his cause.

Andy's serving was hot and consistent throughout the match as he had no double faults with a first service percentage of 66 percent. His fastest serve of the day clocked in at 226km/h.

Andy will face another lefty in Britain's Greg Rusedski in round 2.

Well done Andy! Good luck in the next round!

Stay tuned to AR.com for all the latest news on Andy's progress at the Australian Open!

http://www.itftennis.com/shared/medialibrary/image/gallery/IO_6117_gallery.JPG

Havok
01-18-2005, 04:19 PM
What an overall scrappy match from Andy. :retard: Played well in the latter two sets but his forehand, IMO, lands too short in the court 80% of the time. Need to drive it a lot more. :)

I was pleasantly surprised by the extra TV coverage! :D Venus looked OK but the damn ESPN transmission failed (again) at 5-4 in the 2nd just when it was getting competitive. :lol:
I noticed the same thing. So many of hit shots, especially when he tried to hit out on a forehand, were landing midcourt. When he belts a forehand, he needs to let go of so much topspin so they land deep. Just hitting consistently deep will get you into prime court positioning to take complete control of the rally and end it on your terms, or force an error from your opponent. His backhand was hit with more depth, on average, than his forehand but was rather weak. He needs to start hitting that shot bigger during matches so he gets into the habit of hitting them with decent pace throughout matches in the future. That third set was :retard:.

We got most of the second set from Venus/Eleni. We picked it up at 6-1 1-2 I believe. Nice stuff from Venus, she's really moving well. She needs to start taking more cracks at the ball though, especially on her returns. She also needs to get to net way more because she closes well on it.

Golfnduck
01-18-2005, 04:27 PM
Thursday, they seem to think it'll be a night match :ras:

No night match please. I want to be able to follow his match, not sleep through it.

Fumus
01-18-2005, 04:36 PM
There was alot of funny stuff in that match. Andy had a running commentary with the linesperson that got hit in the face. Andy and Irakli "I eat Big Macs not Broccili" seemed to be fooling around towards the end of the 3rd set and Andy was saying funny things and hitting crazy shots for fun.

Greg vs. Andy, my prediction?

Andy will struggle early to get a read on the Rusedski serve, although I see Andy holding his serve easily all match. I expect after Andy gets a read on that serve the next two sets we will see multiple breaks, a couple breaks of serve and a couple racquets broken by Rusedski in frustration. Andy wins in 3, with a possible tb in the first set.

tangerine_dream
01-18-2005, 04:41 PM
I noticed the same thing. So many of hit shots, especially when he tried to hit out on a forehand, were landing midcourt.

Yes, and he was getting killed every time he did that. :( He's lucky Fatass sucks otherwise he would've lost that first set.

Another thing that he still does that I wish he would stop is hitting the ball right back at his opponent when the court's wide open and he could've hit a crosscourt winner. Why does he keep doing this? :ras:

Fumus
01-18-2005, 04:47 PM
Yes, and he was getting killed every time he did that. :( He's lucky Fatass sucks otherwise he would've lost that first set.

Another thing that he still does that I wish he would stop is hitting the ball right back at his opponent when the court's wide open and he could've hit a crosscourt winner. Why does he keep doing this? :ras:

Low percentage, instead of going for an out right winner, working your oppenent until there is a big opening for you always leads you to a higher margin for error. The Andy of old might have tried this, the pre-Brad Andy but, I am quite happy that he doesn't. Learning patience is important, especially against someone who is going to make as many errors as Fatbastie. haha..(Labadze)(like fat bastard... :o )

Deboogle!.
01-18-2005, 04:48 PM

Yea...brain cramp? I dunno, no other good explanation.

I was happy to see Dean taking so many notes, will give them plenty to talk about before Horsefaace tomorrow

Deboogle!.
01-18-2005, 04:58 PM
2005 Australian Open
Day #2
By Eleanor Preston| January 18, 2005

Andy Roddick had barely sat down in his post-match press conference after beating Irakli Labadze 7-5, 6-2, 6-1 when our very own Bud Collins, the doyen of American writers, asked him the question everyone has been itching to ask since Roddick arrived in Melbourne.

“Can you tell us a bit about your split from Brad? How it happened, why it happened?” asked Collins, ever the journalistic bloodhound.

Roddick’s break-up with Brad Gilbert, the man who transformed his game and took him from bright young thing to grand slam champion was one of the more surprising outcomes of the 2004 off season.

“I just felt the relationship had run its course. I had plateaued a little bit at the end of last year and I needed a fresh start,” said Roddick, before revealing the real reason for Gilbert’s departure from the payroll. “I felt like last year was as good a year as you could have without it being a great one.”

A great one, of course, would have been defined by doing more than ending the year as No.2 and winning four titles, more than making the Wimbledon final and the semis of the Masters Cup in Houston. It would have been defined by a grand slam title and/or ending the year as World No.1.

In short it would have meant being better than Roger Federer.

The task of turning Roddick into a genuine challenger to Federer now falls to Dean Goldfine, a man who made his name coaching the recently retired Todd Martin.

“You can go on personality but I was just going on chemistry,” said Roddick of his choice. “I had spent a little time with Dean at the Olympics and during the Davis Cup this year and I really liked how he went about things. I liked our whole chemistry together. More than anything I’m happy with his work ethic. We put in a lot of good work together during the off season, working on getting in a little bit more, the transition game, just kind of becoming a better athlete out there.”

Even under Gilbert Roddick had been trying to give himself the option of serving and volleying, something which never looks as though it comes naturally to him. Federer has such luxuriant gifts that he can switch between playing styles. Roddick is simply not as versatile, and that’s what he thinks has held him back from adding to the US Open title he won in 2003.

His big serve and thunderous groundstrokes were way too much for Labadze, mind you, but he may need to play better in his next match against Greg Rusedski.

Rusedski’s career was in turmoil this time last year as news of his positive test came to light but ever since he cleared his name with an anti-doping tribunal in March, the Canadian-turned-Brit has been busily clambering back up the rankings. He is back inside the World’s Top 50 (having fallen as low as 168 before Wimbledon last year) and proudly telling anyone who’ll listen that, at 31, he feels better than ever and is aiming to be back inside the top 20 by the end of the year.

Having clipped past Jonas Bjorkman in four sets, Rusedski fancies his chances against Roddick on Thursday. For one thing he has been given a new racket by his sponsors Dunlop and is already singing its praises. “I enjoy the racket. I don’t know if it’s me or the racket (laughing) but I like it.

“Andy is obviously going to be serving a lot better than Jonas did today and you’re going to have fewer chances but I also think Jonas returns better than Andy does. I’m going to have to make solid returns, I can’t just bunt the ball back because he’ll just run around that big forehand and dictate play. I’m going to have to take some risks.”

http://www.tennislifemagazine.com/photo-galleries/05-AustralianOpen/01-17-Oz/images/01-16-oz03.jpg

http://www.tennislifemagazine.com/news-updates/05-OzOpen/images/story-images/si-01-18-01.jpg

snaillyyy
01-18-2005, 05:45 PM
World No.2 felt need for new direction
Patrick Miles
January 19, 2005

Now he finds himself at No.2 and with a new coach, Larry Goldfine, his third in less than two years after what appeared to be fruitful periods with Frenchman Tarik Benhabiles, then Gilbert, who had previously coached Andre Agassi.

Thanks for all the articles and pics Deb :kiss: the above just jumped out at me.....messing with our Dean!!! :p

Neely
01-18-2005, 06:10 PM
I've seen the last two sets of Andy against Labadze now and despite Labadze wasn't a challenge for him, there have been a few funny things in this match. At latest in the 3rd set Andy was all smiling and very relaxed and they gave the crowds a good entertainment at some points.
Especially funny was when Labadze tried a high defensive lob over Roddick but which was much too short and came down short behind the net. Labadze saw that and has already taken a seat back in the corner of the court. He folded his arms and his expression was like "he is going to convert it anyway" :lol: Also Roddick grinned when he saw this.

a couple breaks of serve and a couple racquets broken by Rusedski in frustration. Andy wins in 3, with a possible tb in the first set.
I don't think that this is the most likely thing to happen... Eurosport broadcasted the complete Björkman vs Rusedski match this night ( :zzz: ) and it was one of the coolest matches Rusedski ever played since long time. That was big stuff of Greg keeping quiet at every situation.

Neely
01-18-2005, 06:13 PM

:worship: :lol:
LOL, that's just too funny... his press conferences are always worth reading ;) :rolls: :haha:

Deboogle!.
01-18-2005, 06:13 PM
so Neely, what do you think of the Andy/Greg match, then, as you're the only person I talked to who saw Greg's other match?

and yes LMAO as soon as I saw his quote about the courts, I stole it for my siggy ;)

Neely
01-18-2005, 06:23 PM
so Neely, what do you think of the Andy/Greg match, then, as you're the only person I talked to who saw Greg's other match?
when saying that this was one of the coolest matches I've seen Rusedski ever playing since long time, I mean that he was very quiet and relaxed what he often isn't. Even when he got broken or down 0-40 15-40 on his serve he kept his composure.
I'm not saying it is going to help him much against Roddick, but was more referring to Fumus' prediction that Rusedski will break many rackets. But it's another match, so maybe Andy annoys him so much more that he does :lol: ;)

Normally I'm expecting a match of the sort of Haas vs Malisse. This match was of the kind "it could take some time and work until he breaks, but you never had the feeling he's going to lose it at any stage of the match". I'm sure you know what I mean.... But maybe Rusedski can do a better job concerning the results of the sets (reaching a tiebreak?)...

Fumus
01-18-2005, 06:43 PM
Did you hear Brad's take on that match.

He said that there were a couple points that went Greg's way and that match could have gone either way. He also said Greg is staying back and hitting his forehand more and he said if Greg does that against Andy, lol, "It could get ugly out there"

Alisa
01-18-2005, 07:47 PM
so interesting match with irakli today! roddick was good as usual! only at the beginning he seemed to be not that into game but then he was really good! wish he made rusedski in 3 seets too)

roisin
01-18-2005, 07:56 PM
Originally Posted by andy_c76

PMSL!!! :haha:

andy is a quote-legend!!!

(and just a legend in general ;) )

Alisa
01-18-2005, 08:03 PM
roisin agreed! ;)

Golfnduck
01-18-2005, 08:26 PM
Did you hear Brad's take on that match.

He said that there were a couple points that went Greg's way and that match could have gone either way. He also said Greg is staying back and hitting his forehand more and he said if Greg does that against Andy, lol, "It could get ugly out there"
Brad's commentary was interesting, but for the most part, he was pissing me off. Something about Brad just hits a nerve.

Deboogle!.
01-18-2005, 08:38 PM
when saying that this was one of the coolest matches I've seen Rusedski ever playing since long time, I mean that he was very quiet and relaxed what he often isn't. Even when he got broken or down 0-40 15-40 on his serve he kept his composure.
I'm not saying it is going to help him much against Roddick, but was more referring to Fumus' prediction that Rusedski will break many rackets. But it's another match, so maybe Andy annoys him so much more that he does :lol: ;)

Normally I'm expecting a match of the sort of Haas vs Malisse. This match was of the kind "it could take some time and work until he breaks, but you never had the feeling he's going to lose it at any stage of the match". I'm sure you know what I mean.... But maybe Rusedski can do a better job concerning the results of the sets (reaching a tiebreak?)...

oh oh oh I know what you meant when you said his "coolest" match :) But since we didn't see it, I was just wondering your opinion... so thanks for that :)

I think Andy has to try to take the net away from Greg... and he has to return better than he did against Labadze. I'm sure there will be at least one TB because neither of them returns all that spectacularly.

Golfnduck
01-18-2005, 08:44 PM
I think Andy has to try to take the net away from Greg... and he has to return better than he did against Labadze. I'm sure there will be at least one TB because neither of them returns all that spectacularly.
Andy was returning better last night, granted it was against Fatass, but he did return better. I thought the Bjorkman/Rusedski match would go 5, but oh well.

Deboogle!.
01-18-2005, 08:48 PM
Bjorkman/Rusedski SHOULD've gone 5 - considering Jonas was serving at 6-5 in the breaker. But it doesn't matter...

Andy returned pretty crappy I thought... every time he broke was a really poor error from FreakShow... it was a crappy match in general, I mean andy did as well as he had to, and he was definitely playing better at the end and the score reflects that, but FreakShow also like completely fell apart so it's impossible to say. I think it's quite obvious that Greg will be a way bigger test, though. but PimPim just beat Greg like 6-3 6-4.. if Andy has a ton more trouble than that, I'm gonna start to get worried.

Leena
01-18-2005, 08:51 PM
Jonas sucks.

How do you get bageled by Rusedski?

Ack... just tap the serve in and you have a 50/50 chance that he'll brick a return.

Fumus
01-18-2005, 09:03 PM
Brad's commentary was interesting, but for the most part, he was pissing me off. Something about Brad just hits a nerve.

I love how Andy fires Brad and suddenly everyone hates him in here. He was my favorite coach before Andy and he is still my favorite coach after. I just know that six month ago, people weren't saying these things about Brad. Well except Deb, she never liked Brad...lol...she would just make little comments...lol..now she is openly "Anti-Gilbert", just everyone else jumped on the band wagon. I still don't know if it was the best descion to get rid of him.

Golfnduck
01-18-2005, 09:04 PM
I love how Andy fires Brad and suddenly everyone hates him in here. He was my favorite coach before Andy and he will be my favorite coach after. I just know that six month ago, people weren't saying these things about Brad. Well except Deb, she never liked Brad...lol...she would just make little comments...lol..now she is openly "Anti-Gilbert", just everyone else jumped on the band wagon. I still don't know if it was the best descion to get rid of him.
I think Brad is a good coach and is what Andy needed in 2003 and the beginning of 2004. I just don't like Brad's commentary. Nothing against him as a coach.

aceit
01-18-2005, 09:09 PM
I love how Andy fires Brad and suddenly everyone hates him in here. He was my favorite coach before Andy and he is still my favorite coach after. I just know that six month ago, people weren't saying these things about Brad. Well except Deb, she never liked Brad...lol...she would just make little comments...lol..now she is openly "Anti-Gilbert", just everyone else jumped on the band wagon. I still don't know if it was the best descion to get rid of him.
For me, I didn't dislike him as a coach. As for seeing Brad's face every day, twice a day for the next to weeks ... I could live without that.

andyroxmysox12191
01-18-2005, 09:13 PM
:banana: Wish I saw the match but nice job Andy. I saw the first game of the first set and.........I can't really say anything lmfao.

Is it weird for me to say this but....I like Andy's back lol
Wait....did Andy come into the studio or anything and talk?

Deboogle!.
01-18-2005, 09:13 PM
For me, I didn't dislike him as a coach. As for seeing Brad's face every day, twice a day for the next to weeks ... I could live without that.

Yeah, and I also thought it was pretty inappropriate for him to commentate over the end of Tatiana's match...But that's not his fault, ESPN shouldn't have allowed it to happen. I always complained about Brad, but I never hated him and I don't hate him now...

andyroxmysox12191
01-18-2005, 09:14 PM
Oh and thanks Deb :kiss: and eeeeveryone else who I can't remember at this moment :kiss: You're all in my thanks yous :)

Fumus
01-18-2005, 09:18 PM
Atleast Brad commentary is spot on. Unlike Pmac and Cliff...who just say the same old crap over and over again. I am like c'mon guys talk about the match. bla bla...this is Andy Roddick...22 year old american...he was number 1 last year...I am like who doesn't know that. Lets talk about how Ladaze kept using the same outwide slice serve and the forehand down the line....what the hell is Andy thinking not going down the line...I much prefer Brad, he tells it like it is and he the best scout in all of tennis. He knows everyones game, and most importantly, how to beat it.

tangerine_dream
01-18-2005, 09:18 PM
Deb, I thought Andy returned pretty well last night.

And I'm not anti-Gilbert. I just can't stand listening to him talk and talk and talk.

And talk some more. And talk and talk and talk. :explode:

Fumus
01-18-2005, 09:20 PM
lol...suddenly everyones a BG critic.

Tangy you bought his book!!

Golfnduck
01-18-2005, 09:21 PM
lol...suddenly everyones a BG critic.

Tangy you bought his book!!
I read his book. It was very insightful. But, my god, can that man talk. I think my ears fell off last night.

andyroxmysox12191
01-18-2005, 09:23 PM
I can't stand him when he's always talking *blee* Just gets so annoying!

aceit
01-18-2005, 09:24 PM
Atleast Brad commentary is spot on. Unlike Pmac and Cliff...who just say the same old crap over and over again. I am like c'mon guys talk about the match. bla bla...this is Andy Roddick...22 year old american...he was number 1 last year...I am like who doesn't know that. Lets talk about how Ladaze kept using the same outwide slice serve and the forehand down the line....what the hell is Andy thinking not going down the line...I much prefer Brad, he tells it like it is and he the best scout in all of tennis. He knows everyones game, and most importantly, how to beat it.
:ras: I love Cliff. Yes, they say the same damn thing over and over again, but that's what they are supposed to do. And they hired BG for his outspokeness (is that a word? :confused: :p), so he's doing his job too.

Fumus
01-18-2005, 09:28 PM
Oh god, I like Brad's commentary....

better than

PMac (The dropper..ok Pmac...how about the shut the hell upper?)
Cliff "Im going senile" Drysdale
Mary Joe
Mal "In tennis the player who wins the most points wins" Washington
Bud "The snazzy dresser" Collins
Lieff Shiras
Geoff Grant
The annoying Luke Jensen(his brother Murphy does commentary on TTC and it's awesome he's such a nice guy, soo funny, and he doesn't try to bite your head off when talks)
Wayne Bryan (horrible, probably the worse commentary ever)
I could go on.

My favorite commentators are
Mary Carillo with her sweet voice...
Dick Enberg
Johny Mac
Jim Courier

I guess I would put Brad in the middle somewhere with Chris Fowler.

aceit
01-18-2005, 09:32 PM
Chris Fowler has no idea what he's talking about. He does know the basics, but nothing impressive.

smucav
01-18-2005, 09:46 PM
PMac said before the match that Andy has been practicing with Spanish lefties Verdasco and Nadal in Melbourne Park. He was doing this for Rusedski, but he may end up facing three lefties in a row (Ladadze, Rusedski, & Melzer) and could face a fourth if Nadal keeps winning. I thought it was interesting that he's been practicing with Nadal. They seemed fairly contentious at the USOpen and DCFinal.

Brad's commentary was interesting, but for the most part, he was pissing me off. Something about Brad just hits a nerve. When Chris and Mary were interviewing Larry Scott about the doping "scandal," BG's comments added something to the discussion. However, his comments before, during, and after Andy's match reeked of bitterness and were not entertaining or useful to anyone.

Wait....did Andy come into the studio or anything and talk? Andy & his bucket hat joined Chris on the terrace right after his match while Gonzo was playing Acasuso. I'm wondering if he got there more quickly than anticipated because Chris was calling the Gonzo match and suddenly Andy joined in and helped him finish. After hearing only Andy's voice for a few minutes, I wondered if BG was still sitting there--he was there just prior--but when they put the camera back on Andy & Chris, BG was missing. Andy mostly just laughed at Chris calling Ladadze "the chunky Georgian" and at some of Rusedski's comments (his press conference) about playing Andy. They also showed some of the more humorous highlights from the match. He talked a little about playing Rusedski and Chris asked him about BG, but he didn't go beyond the usual response about running its course and starting fresh. BG reappeared shortly after Andy left and told some stories about Rusedski including one about him complaining to the Wimbledon umpire about Andy's body serves.

aceit
01-18-2005, 10:47 PM
I loved that when Andy was there BG left. :p

heya
01-18-2005, 10:59 PM
Gilbert the McEnroe clone didn't know that Andy did NOT train correctly since he was 15.
Gilbert has the mouth to insult other top players, but his genius didn't quite show itself, the way Andy wanted it to. I wonder why.
I knew Andy would dump him ever since Wimbledon 2003.

aceit
01-18-2005, 11:03 PM
I knew Andy would dump him ever since Wimbledon 2003.
How did you figure? He did amazing during the grasscourt tourneys and had aphenomenal summer that will probably go down as one of the best of this time.