Miami R16: Murray Grinds Out Seppi 6-2, 6-4 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Miami R16: Murray Grinds Out Seppi 6-2, 6-4

BackhandDTL
03-26-2013, 09:49 PM
This match was totally reminiscent of old school Murray.

Effectively shut down Seppi as a defensive wall, but it's really stupid play from him in the long run. There's no need to make the match so physical.

Brit Tennis Fan
03-26-2013, 09:50 PM
Routine win, nothing more, nothing less.

rocketassist
03-26-2013, 09:51 PM
NID.

Seppi has nothing to hurt Murray with really.

Dangermouse
Brave second set by the Italian but the match never looked in doubt.

Andy to face Tsonga or Cilic in the Quarters.

emotion
Terrible match
Seppi had 4-3* 30-0, and made something like 10 UEs in the next 15 points
Murray did what he had to do, was aware he was playing poorly and adjusted for it

RIboy
Murray bores Seppi to death once again, unbelievable pushing

ProdigyEng
Another Murray win to make the haters mad. Bring on the Murray vs Djoko King Final

Mateya
03-26-2013, 09:52 PM
Muzza just squeezes through on the end with some leg problems.

Andreas played agressive enough, but couldn't score many winners against the wall. Some ridiculous defensive lobs from Murray.
People laughing at Seppi for hittiong 0 winners in the first set, but that stat doesn't tell the whole story.

:hug:

BackhandDTL
03-26-2013, 09:53 PM
Murray bores Seppi to death once again, unbelievable pushing

y sep no jus smak win? :shrug:

MuzzahLovah
03-26-2013, 09:54 PM
This match was totally reminiscent of old school Murray.

Effective defensive wall, but really stupid of him in the long run.

Well his defense in the first set was incredible. Seppi didn't hit any winners because Murray got everything back. Maybe Murray got a bit tired in the second, let so early bps slip away, Seppi played really well for a couple games but then collapsed towards the end.
Good for Andy to to get through with out being broken, and not having dropped a set in 3 matches despite some bad patches.

timafi
03-26-2013, 09:55 PM
one hell of an "injury" there Murray

MIMIC
03-26-2013, 09:55 PM
From the commentary thread (beginning of 2nd set):

Commentators: OMG Murray is injured!

30 minutes later, wins in straights

Every single time.

MuzzahLovah
03-26-2013, 09:56 PM
Terrible match
Seppi had 4-3* 30-0, and made something like 10 UEs in the next 15 points
Murray did what he had to do, was aware he was playing poorly and adjusted for it

I think the first set was decent quality. Murray's defense was insane.

star
03-26-2013, 09:57 PM
I just wish commentators wouldn't fall for the "omg my leg is hurting" routine. So annoying.

Mae
Another Murray win to make the haters mad. Bring on the Murray vs Djoko King Final

I don't know about that! Andy's right leg was bothering him! He wasn't getting to balls that he normally easily gets to. Seppi made a few mistakes that helped Andy out!

emotion
Should have said set. Tbh I didn't see that much of the first set, was watching Gasquet, but heard it was good.

MuzzahLovah

He didn't say he was injured or take an MTO.. haters really grasp at anything.

star
03-26-2013, 09:58 PM
NID.

Seppi has nothing to hurt Murray with really.

Couldn't even make his leg hurt? :awww:

Mark Lenders
From the commentary thread (beginning of 2nd set):

Every single time.

He was injured, clearly had some discomfort on his leg(s). Every time Seppi managed to make Murray bend for a shot or change directions abruptly he immediately gained the upper hand, problem is that despite being in the top 20 he doesn't have the skill to do that consistently so Murray get away with it. It's nothing new, it's shocking the amount of mugs on the ATP who can't take advantage of a physically struggling opponent.

BackhandDTL
Brave second set by the Italian but the match never looked in doubt.

Andy to face Tsonga or Cilic in the Quarters.

Muzza just squeezes through on the end with some leg problems.

Andreas played agressive enough, but couldn't score many winners against the wall. Some ridiculous defensive lobs from Murray.
People laughing at Seppi for hittiong 0 winners in the first set, but that stat doesn't tell the whole story.

:hug:

All your threads are belong to us.

star
03-26-2013, 09:59 PM

He only "acted" it.

Mae's not a hater and she thinks he seemed injured from the way he behaved. :shrug:

MuzzahLovah
03-26-2013, 10:00 PM
I don't know about that! Andy's right leg was bothering him! He wasn't getting to balls that he normally easily gets to. Seppi made a few mistakes that helped Andy out!

Yeah his defense/movement did drop a bit from set 1 to set 2. Hope he's in good shape for the next match.

Tiebreak100
03-26-2013, 10:01 PM
Murray forehand is a concern. Every time he attempts to generate power it looks suspect; hopefully it will improve as the matches get tougher. Good win, decent performance and on to the next one.

On another note, how much longer do we have to endure this outfit Andy is wearing? Its absolutely rancid, and I have been forced to look at it for months. He looks like a referee.

Andi-M
03-26-2013, 10:02 PM
Andy :hearts: good win, hitting the ball alot cleaner than he has all week.

Seppi played decent 2nd set but dosent have enough game to beat Murray playing pretty decent.

star

Yeah his defense/movement did drop a bit from set 1 to set 2. Hope he's in good shape for the next match.

Perplexing.

MuzzahLovah
He only "acted" it.

Mae's not a hater and she thinks he seemed injured from the way he behaved. :shrug:

He didn't act injured to gain advantage, which is what his haters are suggesting. He may have tweaked something a little bit, so he was not moving quite as well, but so what?

MuzzahLovah
03-26-2013, 10:03 PM
Perplexing.

Read that again. No conflict in what I said.

The Prince
03-26-2013, 10:04 PM
Seppi deserved more from that second set.

BackhandDTL
Well his defense in the first set was incredible. Seppi didn't hit any winners because Murray got everything back. Maybe Murray got a bit tired in the second, let so early bps slip away, Seppi played really well for a couple games but then collapsed towards the end.
Good for Andy to to get through with out being broken, and not having dropped a set in 3 matches despite some bad patches.

I'm not arguing that he was ineffective, but he needs to tone it down in the future, lest he wants to end up like Nadal. His bipartite patella aside, would his knee/leg even have hindered him so in the second had he bothered to take the initiative more?

He was clearly bothered out there just by looking at the disparity between the first and second set, but even so he made no real fuss about it. Why hold players accountable for liberties taken by commentators?

star
He didn't act injured to gain advantage, which is what his haters are suggesting. He may have tweaked something a little bit, so he was not moving quite as well, but so what?

Oh. Ok.

ogbg
03-26-2013, 10:05 PM
First set was the best Murray has looked since Australia. I think there was something there with his leg but not very serious. It only seemed to last a few games. Seppi had a couple of good chances with Murray at 0-30 3-4 in the second set and should have taken them.

hipolymer
03-26-2013, 10:09 PM
disgusting play by Mugray. He's pushing more than Ferrer these days

Moozza
03-26-2013, 10:09 PM
Yes Slamray! Keep making the haters mad, they are so butthurt right now.

Decent performance, still not at his best but an improvement from the previous round so good signs.

MuzzahLovah
03-26-2013, 10:11 PM
I'm not arguing that he was ineffective, but he needs to tone it down in the future, lest he wants to end up like Nadal. His bipartite patella aside, would his knee/leg even have hindered him so in the second had he bothered to take the initiative more?

Yeah you have a point. He could have probably won the first set without taking risks by running so much. But then again, his forehand seemed to spray a lot when he's been aggressive recently, so I don't know.

He was clearly bothered out there just by looking at the disparity between the first and second set, but even so he made no real fuss about it. Why hold players accountable for liberties taken by commentators?
Yep

Saberq
03-26-2013, 10:22 PM
Berdych will smash him

BackhandDTL
03-26-2013, 10:33 PM
Berdych will smash him

Thanks for posting this because your predictions are almost always wrong.

latso
03-26-2013, 11:14 PM
i'd rather watch Dimitrov double faulting won sets :facepalm:

Whatta boring match

hvo
03-26-2013, 11:16 PM
I could be wrong but I think at the first few games, AM tried to be agressive but the timing is still off and made quite a lot of errors. Thus he resoluted to play the old game to fight back into form because there is no way for him to go into the match hitting winer left, right and centre like other ball bashing like to do. Hopefully he will play better next round (normally his level comes up nicely along with the level of his opponent).

Sombrerero loco
03-26-2013, 11:17 PM
well done. NID result

Corey Feldman
03-26-2013, 11:35 PM
keep going US Open and Olympic champ

here's hoping for some famous Key Biscane winds over the weekend