Australian Open 2005 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Australian Open 2005

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

jtipson
01-13-2005, 08:25 PM
The main draw for the Australian Open 2005 will be available in a little under three hours time, so let's get this show on the road! Here's hoping for a successful defence of Roger's title at Melbourne Park :)

Last year, there was certainly some consternation in this forum when the draw was released and we saw his then three nemeses (Hewitt, Henman and Nalbandian) lurking in Roger's quarter. So, what are your hopes and fears for the draw this time around? Who would you like to see him play and who would it be better to avoid?

Here's my picks.
First and second round: a nice and gentle couple of matches would be appreciated. No teenagers please (Nadal, Berdych or Monfils!), no Australians (ok, so Todd Reid wasn't that bad last year after the first 5 games).

Third round: choice of Davydenko/Chela/Srichaphan/Ancic/Dent/Johansson(T)/Melzer/Ferrero
Hmm. Tough one. Normally I'd want him to steer well clear of Ferrero and Ancic. Chela, maybe, but look at him go this week. There's no easy choice here!

Fourth round: choice of Robredo/Grosjean/Youzhny/Haas
Robredo, please. What's the betting Roddick will get him? Just keep away from Haas, we've seen that at the AO before. Painful.

Quarter-final: choice of Moya/Coria/Henman/Agassi (or Nalbandian if Agassi withdraws in time)
The Spaniard would be my preference, but he's playing very well and has reached the final here before. I'd feel nervous if it were Agassi or Nalbandian for Roger's qf match-up again - too dangerous.

Semi-final: choice of Hewitt/Safin
On the basis of TMC and Safin's better record here, then I'd have to choose Hewitt. But look at it this way: whichever one he avoids, Roddick gets ;)

Any thoughts?

Raquel
01-13-2005, 10:50 PM
First round v Santoro
QF v Agassi

So far.

rogertooogood
01-13-2005, 10:52 PM
:wavey: Bascially I would really really want to have Hewitt in Federer's half with them meeting in the semifinals and have Nalbandian, Henmen, Costa and Nadal ( simply b/c of the lost to him last year in Miami) on the other half of the draw......

Raquel
01-13-2005, 10:53 PM
Hewitt's not in Roger's half. That's definite.

Lisbeth
01-13-2005, 10:55 PM
Just wanted to say good luck to Roger for the Aussie Open ... and I also have a strong preference for him and Lleyton to be in different halves :lol:

It's always a pleasure to watch Roger play tennis :)

LCeh
01-14-2005, 12:39 AM
Draw in pdf format can be found here (http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/scores/draws/ms/msdraw.pdf)

fightclubber
01-14-2005, 12:47 AM
Draw in pdf format can be found here (http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/scores/draws/ms/msdraw.pdf)

thanks
thats what I wanted to see!
silvy :worship:

ytben
01-14-2005, 01:02 AM
Anyone else not happy with Santoro as his first rounder? I am very nervous for this matchup....But at least he didn't draw any teenagers, that will make me even more nervous.

So possible road to QF:
1rd - Santoro
2rd - JMG
3rd - Nieminen/PDorn
4rd - Ljubicic/Robredo

Not so bad draw till the QF, if he passed Santoro.
Then it will get really tough. He possibly will meet Agassi in the QF, if Andre is fully healthy, this is the worst possible QF matchup for Rogi IMO.
Anyway one round at a time. Can't wait to finally see Rogi in my TV again. Good luck Rogi :bounce:

Dirk
01-14-2005, 01:27 AM
That is if Andre is healthy enough to make it to the qrts. Then NINJA WILL GRIND HIS HIP INTO THE FUCKING GROUND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :fiery: Did I say that? http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/otn/angels/littleangel.gif

Yoda
01-14-2005, 01:34 AM
I'm liking the draw for Rogi.
Andre has a tough path -> Dent, J.Johansson and then Rogi

WyveN
01-14-2005, 02:04 AM
Safe to say Roger drew the hardest quarter final opponent though, JJ or Andre.
Santoro will be tough in the 1st round and sometimes Roger plays scrappy in the opening rounds and Paradorn gave him a tough match in Thailand.

Whistleway
01-14-2005, 02:50 AM
don't be cruel, dirk.. Agassi is a class act on AO too..

I am just worried about Santoro.. It would be a wonderful match to watch... pleasing eyes.. lets hope federer plays his round one well... Good luck., roger !!!

SUKTUEN
01-14-2005, 03:25 AM
Go Rgoer !!!!!!!!!

lsy
01-14-2005, 04:04 AM
Roger, just lose in Kooyong, it will make me feel better for him going into AO already lost somewhere. Nobody can keep winning..Santoro 1st round??? :scared:

Roger/Andre...again? Sigh...

Hewitt has to be happy finally he's not anywhere near Roger ;)

Will Roger be playing Monday or Tuesday?

WyveN
01-14-2005, 04:59 AM
Will Roger be playing Monday or Tuesday?

They dont decide that until tomorrow but I think it will be Tuesday.

lsy
01-14-2005, 05:01 AM
They dont decide that until tomorrow but I think it will be Tuesday.

Great I hope so then I'll get to watch it live, though probably will be too nervous to anyway.

Are you going to catch this match, WyveN?

WyveN
01-14-2005, 05:05 AM
Great I hope so then I'll get to watch it live, though probably will be too nervous to anyway.

Are you going to catch this match, WyveN?

Sure will, have to check when it is to determine whether I see it live or on tv. Think it might be a night feature match in which case Ill probably watch on tv.

lsy
01-14-2005, 05:10 AM
Sure will, have to check when it is to determine whether I see it live or on tv. Think it might be a night feature match in which case Ill probably watch on tv.

Why? Your mum said you're not allowed to be out at night? :lol: :tape:

WyveN
01-14-2005, 05:11 AM
Why? Your mum said you're not allowed to be out at night? :lol: :tape:

You know these 5 setters without a tiebreak, they can drag on past 9pm :o

lsy
01-14-2005, 05:21 AM
You know these 5 setters without a tiebreak, they can drag on past 9pm :o

:lol:

no seriously, why not? Seems like the more interesting match of Rogi next week. You've got to catch him next week, I need you to tell him his hair looks great :D

WyveN
01-14-2005, 05:29 AM
:lol:

no seriously, why not? Seems like the more interesting match of Rogi next week. You've got to catch him next week, I need you to tell him his hair looks great :D

will do, hoping to get a autograph as well although that might be difficult

lsy
01-14-2005, 05:35 AM
will do, hoping to get a autograph as well although that might be difficult

:D Just don't be heartbroken if he brushes you aside not signing for you, k? :hug:

WyveN
01-14-2005, 05:38 AM
:D Just don't be heartbroken if he brushes you aside not signing for you, k? :hug:

Thats if I can even get close, I remmember watching him and Lundgren practice at 2001 AO, there were 2 people watching. Some little girl asked for a autograph and Roger got so embarrassed :lol:

lsy
01-14-2005, 05:47 AM
Thats if I can even get close, I remmember watching him and Lundgren practice at 2001 AO, there were 2 people watching. Some little girl asked for a autograph and Roger got so embarrassed :lol:

:hug: awww...Rogi

I must say those little girls have bright future ahead, good eyes :yeah:

Just hang a huge cardboard around your neck :"I'm your biggest fan down under, please sign for me" Sure you'll get it and I will try to spot you on TV.

liptea
01-14-2005, 06:30 AM
:hug: awww...Rogi

I must say those little girls have bright future ahead, good eyes :yeah:

Just hang a huge cardboard around your neck :"I'm your biggest fan down under, please sign for me" Sure you'll get it and I will try to spot you on TV.If he wears a stupid hat, he'd get noticed too.

SUKTUEN
01-14-2005, 07:08 AM
Is Roger play on Monday? :devil:

Daniel
01-14-2005, 07:20 AM
easy draw iu might say, good luck vs SAntoro :D

Mrs. B
01-14-2005, 07:26 AM
he knows Santoro's tricks. ;) one match at a time...

SUKTUEN
01-14-2005, 07:31 AM
So is Roger play on Monday? :D

babsi
01-14-2005, 07:45 AM
Oh no,Santoro
I remember the USO,couldn´t watch the game that day and when I came back home couldn´t get myself to look up the result on the PC - Watch Eurosport for hours, till finally someone mentionde the result - late at night.
Yes,I know,but there is nothing to be done anymore - I´m too old - it will only get worse :(

Daniel
01-14-2005, 07:46 AM
i dont know yet i hope he plays on tuesday but since the defendig champion in the womens side is not there i guess they will put Roger on monday, lets wait and see the schedule

SUKTUEN
01-14-2005, 07:48 AM
Mr. S is very hard fighter in US Open, Roger won hard in that match :mad:

Puschkin
01-14-2005, 08:20 AM
Oh no,Santoro
I remember the USO,couldn´t watch the game that day and when I came back home couldn´t get myself to look up the result on the PC - Watch Eurosport for hours, ... :(

I remember having seen this match. There was nothing to worry, Roger was in control all the time and I am confident again. In fact, I am worried about a too easy draw until the QF.

babsi
01-14-2005, 10:28 AM
I´m sure you are right Puschkin - I´m just too worried - you can join me then from the QF on.
If I have it right - Isy will be with me right from the start.

RonE
01-14-2005, 10:28 AM
Too easy a draw??????? With PDorn, Ljubo and of course Santoro to begin with? I can't imagine a worse first rounder for Rogi- it's ok if he plays him after he gets into the groove in a tournament but right off the bat it will be difficult.

Also, Andre in the quarters, Safin in the semis this is almost the worst draw imaginable :mad:

He's just lucky that Nalbandian is on the other side of the draw :o

RonE
01-14-2005, 10:30 AM
OK, end of my rant I just needed to get it out of my system- one match at a time. Let's just worry about Fabrice for now without thinking too far ahead. And it will be interesting to see how Andre is feeling- I'm not sure it was such a smart move for him to play Tim at Kooyong but I am guessing if he is, it is a sign that it is not so bad so he might be able to recover for AO.... we will see.

Puschkin
01-14-2005, 10:40 AM
Too easy a draw??????? With PDorn, Ljubo and of course Santoro to begin with? I can't imagine a worse first rounder for Rogi:o

RonE, a little bit more confidence in Roger's abilities :) Honestly, I think Santoro is a lesser threat than any "unknown" qualifier, Roger will know exactly what to expect. As for the later rounds: I just feel that he is less vulnerable at the later stages of ANY tourney. Good luck!

lsy
01-14-2005, 12:05 PM
I´m sure you are right Puschkin - I´m just too worried - you can join me then from the QF on.
If I have it right - Isy will be with me right from the start.

:bigcry: :scared: :sobbing: Yes I will be...it's so annoying, I can't wait to watch his matches live, and yet I will probably be too nervous all the time.

:smash: Ron...we don't need another worrier here :o

yanchr
01-14-2005, 12:12 PM
I tend to like the draw. But surely Santoro is not a player against whom you can afford as much time as you want to get yourself into groove. So Rogi has to launch his AO trip with a relatively quick start surely. And it seems no big problem for Rogi now ;)

Agassi and Safin in a row (if it is) is the worst thing that could ever happen I believe. But some tough matches may also help consolidate Rogi's confidence and heart to win it all just like last USO qf. Too early to already worry about the quarterfinal really though, plus Agassi seems in a little doubt of fitness...

Anyone any idea of which match man's single will usually get, 1st or 2nd, if he is to be put in the night session? (1st means I won't get it live :( while 2nd I will :bounce: )

Enjoy your trip in AO WyveN and GWH :wavey: Looking forward to live report from you two :hug:

lsy
01-14-2005, 12:16 PM
Agassi and Safin in a row (if it is) is the worst thing that could ever happen I believe.

You know what's on my mind? Will Roger be like Safin last year, after toughing it out vs both Andre and Safin...will run out of gas in the final

Ok I know...:smash: :smash: :smash: at myself and :tape: :tape: :tape:

But yeah, I can hardly look past the 1st round yet...Santoro :scared:

fightclubber
01-14-2005, 12:23 PM
what time will be the match with santoro?
The first day? Any idea?? Maybe I can see all the games, Only Ill be at the office very asleep as some of the games will be at 1 am my time and I have to wake up at 6! But Ill do it just for Roger

Silvy

Daniel
01-14-2005, 12:41 PM
Good luck Roger :kiss:

yanchr
01-14-2005, 12:42 PM
You know what's on my mind? Will Roger be like Safin last year, after toughing it out vs both Andre and Safin...will run out of gas in the final

Ok I know...:smash: :smash: :smash: at myself and :tape: :tape: :tape:
888888888888888888888888888 you know what I mean

ste
01-14-2005, 12:44 PM
I read today that If you bet on Roger that he will win the AO this year you will get 18 Dollars if you pay 10.... that's less than Sampras had in his best years - first they said okay Roger will be 2,0 but then more than a third of all bet on him so they changed it - now it's about 1,8.... :eek: :eek: :eek:

Art&Soul
01-14-2005, 01:03 PM
Cool :D but i still bet on him, at least i have something back :p Ah Good luck ROGI with Santoro, he's a bit tricky but I believe ROGER can WIN him easily :) :devil:

Puschkin
01-14-2005, 01:16 PM
:...we don't need another worrier here :o

I stick to it: Santoro doesn't worry me. But a healthy Joakim Johansson in the QF does, even more than Agassi, now you can pull me to pieces :p

RonE
01-14-2005, 01:37 PM
:smash: Ron...we don't need another worrier here :o

Well, tough luck you got one :p

babsi
01-14-2005, 02:40 PM
Oh boy, you make me want to hide under the house!

RonE
01-14-2005, 02:41 PM
Oh boy, you make me want to hide under the house!

If it is any consolation I promise only to worry from the QF on assuming Rogi gets there ok? :hug:

RogiNie
01-14-2005, 02:45 PM
I stick to it: Santoro doesn't worry me. But a healthy Joakim Johansson in the QF does, even more than Agassi, now you can pull me to pieces :p

yeah, healthy, but is joachim healthy in time, that's the question.....

RogiNie
01-14-2005, 02:46 PM
Good luck Roger against Santoro, it's not the eastiest draw, but you can do it!!

ste
01-14-2005, 04:37 PM
He showed enough times that he can cruise through difficult draws so we have to be optimistic :worship: :worship:

babsi
01-14-2005, 05:18 PM
That pic is lovely,ste :)

lsy
01-15-2005, 07:25 AM
Rogi is playing on Monday

Rod Laver Arena 11.00 AM
1. Women's Singles - 1st Rnd.
Serena Williams (USA)[7] vs Camille Pin (FRA)
2. Men's Singles - 1st Rnd.
Roger Federer (SUI)[1] vs Fabrice Santoro (FRA)
3. Men's Singles - 1st Rnd.
Dieter Kindlmann (GER) vs Andre Agassi (USA)[8]

:bigcry: :bigcry: Why can't they put him on Tuesday??? Good thing is WyveN, it's not a night match.

Rest of schedules :

http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/scores/schedule/index.html

SUKTUEN
01-15-2005, 07:38 AM
Oh my God ~~~

Roger play in Tuesday~~ He must be tired~~ :sad:
GOD please bless my Roger~~ :worship: :worship:

Fedex
01-15-2005, 08:05 AM
So its another rematch of the Magician vs. the Wizard. This should be interesting, and eye pleasing tennis. This match will almost certainly be on TV, and I will be able to see most of the matches on Monday. :)

SUKTUEN
01-15-2005, 08:11 AM
GOOOOOOOOO ROGER

ste
01-15-2005, 08:18 AM

Rod Laver Arena 11.00 AM

:bigcry: :bigcry: Why can't they put him on Tuesday??? Good thing is WyveN, it's not a night match.

Rest of schedules :

what's the time difference between Melbourne and CET??

+10 hours is that right??

Art&Soul
01-15-2005, 08:52 AM
So i can't see him playing live :mad: but i will see it later when i knew he'd won :D

RonE
01-15-2005, 09:03 AM
Well, his match will be on I guess like 3 or 4 am my time so I don't think I'll be staying up that late :o. For some reason I thought they might schedule his match in the evening :shrug:

He will be playing during the hottest hours of the day :scared:

Daniel
01-15-2005, 10:13 AM
m odnt like the fact he pkays on monday but anyways he is the best and he will beat Santoro

Vamos Roger :worship:

WyveN
01-15-2005, 10:32 AM
He will be playing during the hottest hours of the day :scared:

thats not to bad, from what I saw Santoro is the one doing most of the running in their matches.......always interesting to watch these two play.

Action Jackson
01-15-2005, 10:34 AM
Wyver, are you ready for battle to begin?

Daniel
01-15-2005, 10:44 AM
The Rankings

Let's get the obligatory disclaimer out of the way: Roger Federer's #1 ranking is not on the line. It won't be for months. He isn't really playing for rankings here; he's playing for the record books.

The #2 ranking, though, is very much in play. Andy Roddick still has a small lead on Lleyton Hewitt in the rankings, but Roddick has more to defend. We can treat them as effectively tied; unless they both lose very early, whoever lasts longer will be ranked #2.

Roger :worship:

Daniel
01-16-2005, 08:43 AM
Go Roger, dont feel the pressure, you do ehat you do best: go and beat everyone :worship: :smooch:

:wavey: @ all Federer Fans ;)

WyveN
01-16-2005, 10:18 AM
Wyver, are you ready for battle to begin?

Very ready, Ill be there early tomorrow.

yanchr
01-16-2005, 11:26 AM

Rod Laver Arena 11.00 AM

Rest of schedules :

I hate the schedule :( Why not in the evening :( :( :(
I won't be anywhere around the net or tv during the match. That sucks big :fiery: Hope I will get the replay :rolleyes:

Rogi, tomorrow is the first step, just behave... I want some good news during the will-be-tough office time. Go go go!!!

yanchr
01-16-2005, 11:38 AM
BTW, I read somewhere that this AO trophy will be handed to the champ by Rod Laver :worship: Is that true? If it is, I really hope Rogi can have the honor...It will be really sth to see these two standing shoulder by shoulder ;)

:tape:

Fergie
01-16-2005, 12:07 PM
Good luck Rogi against Santoro :bigclap:

WyveN
01-16-2005, 12:19 PM
BTW, I read somewhere that this AO trophy will be handed to the champ by Rod Laver :worship: Is that true? If it is, I really hope Rogi can have the honor...It will be really sth to see these two standing shoulder by shoulder ;)

True, they have never met either.

lsy
01-16-2005, 12:27 PM
WyveN please cheer really loud on behalf of us tomorrow :banana: :banana:

yanchr
01-16-2005, 12:28 PM
True, they have never met either.
So at least Rogi has to make his way to the final :tape:

SUKTUEN
01-16-2005, 12:29 PM
GO Roger !!!

I cannot see the match too, I go to work

RogiNie
01-16-2005, 04:41 PM
Go Roger!!! i hope Eurosport will repeat the match at afternoon (for me), so I can see the match!

RonE
01-16-2005, 04:52 PM
Go Roger!!! i hope Eurosport will repeat the match at afternoon (for me), so I can see the match!

Same here!

Doris Loeffel
01-16-2005, 05:45 PM
I hate the schedule :( Why not in the evening :( :( :(
I won't be anywhere around the net or tv during the match. That sucks big :fiery: Hope I will get the replay :rolleyes:

Rogi, tomorrow is the first step, just behave... I want some good news during the will-be-tough office time. Go go go!!!

Well sure it's during the hottest time of the day Roger has to play - but if he was sheduled to play the night match I wouldn't be able to watch it so I prefere this shedule ;)

Gooo Roger gooo!!
Good luck agaisnt Santoro!!

squirrel
01-16-2005, 06:08 PM
a kiss, Roger.... and good luck

lunahielo
01-16-2005, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by Lsy~
WyveN please cheer really loud on behalf of us tomorrow

Yes, please do.............. ;)

fightclubber
01-16-2005, 07:49 PM
Ill try to see the match and guys wish me luck! Hope they show roger and not other game at the same time! ( chances are hight they show roger at least some argentinian will be playing at the same court,.... no idea what espn will do
soi as far as I know the presentation is in less than 4 hours here, so if im lucky , after the presentation, first the girls match and in less than 1 hour roger and santoro???
Any austraialn here to confirm how many hours we have for the game

SILVY :wavey:

jtipson
01-16-2005, 08:55 PM
Well sure it's during the hottest time of the day Roger has to play - but if he was sheduled to play the night match I wouldn't be able to watch it so I prefere this shedule ;)

I like the schedule for the opposite reason - since the match is in the middle of the night for us here, I can't watch it; whereas if it were the "night" match it would be on at the gym/work tomorrow morning and I'd sit there as a nervous wreck. For sanity I prefer waking up to the result.

Really hope Roger comes out on fire against Santoro (as he did in their last slam match), and holds up all the way. :)

RogiFan88
01-16-2005, 09:30 PM
Vamos, Rogi!

Hope we get to see him live tonight... but somehow I doubt it... AA... blah...

fightclubber
01-16-2005, 10:05 PM
Om opne hour starts the ladys and maybe in 2 roger
vamos campeon!!!!!

fedsfan1
01-16-2005, 10:28 PM
HI EVERYONE!!!!!

I hope Roger is as confident on court as he seems in all those articles I have been reading the past 2 days.

Here's hoping & wishing for another great tourney for Roger!!!

VAMOS & HOPP ROGER!!!!!!!!!!!

only 30 minutes till AO starts.....very excited here in NYC......please let espn be kind & air Roger's match..... :)

fightclubber
01-17-2005, 12:25 AM
started but they wont show roger live here in argentina
soooooooooooooooooooooo bad
will show it later. First--- latins---
anyway
AO site has a good live score
cmon roger
Good luck!

Dirk
01-17-2005, 12:28 AM
Roger about to start. I will post like crazy ok? :)

fightclubber
01-17-2005, 12:29 AM
Roger about to start. I will post like crazy ok? :)
yessssssssss
will be here
thanks
tell me clothes color.. white?
silvy

fightclubber
01-17-2005, 12:31 AM
wowow score board says roger 1/ 0 vamos!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:worship:

fightclubber
01-17-2005, 12:33 AM
wowow 2/0 seems roger broke the service of santoro
vamos

RogiFan88
01-17-2005, 12:35 AM
Yes, Dirk, pls do... I am working and can't follow Rogi's match point-by-point!

VAMOS, ROGI!!!!! [and Spanish and S Amer guys and Marat!]

Dirk
Ninja is on the war path. Hitting winners from everywhere. 12 winners 0 errors. 3-0.

fightclubber
2/0
vamos roger

wowowowwowoowwo i wish espn latin would give this live
but ao scoreboard is fast

Dirk
01-17-2005, 12:36 AM
White shorts, blue shirt white Ninja band.

fightclubber
01-17-2005, 12:38 AM
:devil: White shorts, blue shirt white Ninja band.

Dirk
01-17-2005, 12:39 AM
passing shot on the BH from Santoro. 15-0
BH error up the line miss from Rogi. 30-0
Crosscourt short FH winner from Roger. 30-15
FH volley winner from Ninja. 30-30
Double fault. Ninja Breakpoint. 30-40
another forehand volley winner. 4-0 Ninja

Yoda
Could be Rogi's first bagel at AO

fightclubber
4/0 and this one was the hardest one till now, !

fightclubber
01-17-2005, 12:40 AM
Dirk... lots of serve and volley? Im surprise how good roger is doing when he is serving!

Dirk
01-17-2005, 12:41 AM
Ace 15-0 Ninja
Ace 30-0 Ninja
up the line winner from San 30-15
Ace Ninja 40-15
FH Crosscourt winner pass 5-0 Ninja

Yoda
Thanks Dirk for the updates

fightclubber
vamos ninja
5/0!!!1

Dirk
No but he is working his way to the net during the rallies. Chip and charging.

Dirk
01-17-2005, 12:42 AM
Ninja = Roger. Shaman = Santoro. :)

fightclubber
01-17-2005, 12:42 AM
:devil: :worship: :devil: :worship: :devil: :worship: :devil: :worship: :bigclap: :clap2: :bigclap: :clap2:

Dirk
01-17-2005, 12:44 AM
15-0 Shaman Return error from ninja
30-0 return error from Ninja. Shaman
40-0 Shaman forced serve error
Missed BH slice volley from ninja. 5-1

fightclubber
01-17-2005, 12:44 AM
Oppoppps How could Ninaja loose this point??????? :rolleyes:

lsy
01-17-2005, 12:45 AM
WOW!!! That's all I can say so far.

As unbelievable as it is, I think Rogi really had improved. Serving well, coming to the net confidently at the right time, hitting winners all over. Man...there's nothing like watching this guy plays.

I'm really really impressed with what I saw up till now. He must have worked extremely hard during off season. Just too good :worship:

Dirk
01-17-2005, 12:47 AM
Ace Ninja 15-0 Showing Roche now. Wearing Aussie colors.
Ace 30-0 Ninja
Miss hit FH from Roger. 30-15 Ninja
Miss hit FH from Roger 30-30.
Double fault. 30-40. Sun bothering ninja
Slice backhand up the line volley winner from ninja. Duece
Crosscourt FH winner ninja. ADv Ninja
Crosscourt FH in serve box winner. 6-1 ninja

fightclubber
01-17-2005, 12:48 AM
Ace Ninja 15-0 Showing Roche now. Wearing Aussie colors.
Ace 30-0 Ninja
Miss hit FH from Roger. 30-15 Ninja
Miss hit FH from Roger 30-30.
Double fault. 30-40. Sun bothering ninja
Slice backhand up the line volley winner from ninja. Duece
Crosscourt FH winner ninja. ADv Ninja
Crosscourt FH in serve box winner. 6-1 ninja}
+
great reports Dirk
thankssssssssssssssssssssssssssss :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

lina_seta
01-17-2005, 12:49 AM
wow.. seems like federer is playing like GOD again O_O...
back then he had a 100% in every statistic!

lina_seta
01-17-2005, 12:51 AM
and they arent showing roger's match either here in Panama >_<!!!
cuz latin players have priority!!!! so they r showing the zuluaga match..........

lina_seta
01-17-2005, 12:52 AM
OMG they r starting to broadcast teh roger MATCHHHH!!!!!
and i had to shout ^_^ like they said... "its incredible what federer is doing"

RogiFan88
01-17-2005, 12:54 AM
Nice quick set, Rogi!! Keep going and make it quick!

But I fear our coverage will start just in time for Baldy... great! And we'll prob get Serenadog tomorrow aft... boring!

Dirk
01-17-2005, 12:59 AM
Forced error from Roger. 40-30 Shaman
Volley error from shaman Duece
Adv ninja. Forced error volley from Shaman
Return error. Deuce
Overhead smash winner from ninja. Adv Ninja
Great net play from Shaman. Duece
FH hit nets goes long. Shaman ADV.
Duece Roger forces error from return
BH winner up the line. Adv ninja :)
missed backhand overhead from Ninja Duece
BH Winner up the line pass again. LOL Ninja Adv
missed FH pass from Ninja Duece
Overhead smash winner from ninja ADV
missed long lob. Duece

Need to go watch something else. Be back in half hour.

lina_seta
01-17-2005, 01:04 AM
federer breaks! up 1-0 serving now 15-0

Dirk
01-17-2005, 01:07 AM
Awesome service box volley winner from Ninja ADV Ninja
BH in net from Shaman. 2-0 Ninja

lina_seta
01-17-2005, 01:08 AM
simply ingenious

lina_seta
01-17-2005, 01:10 AM
BP again wow.. shots...

lina_seta
01-17-2005, 01:11 AM
nop my bad.. deuce... Santoro got it.. but fought for it

fightclubber
01-17-2005, 01:12 AM
what did he say? when he returned bad? Bo??? what ( they are showing a part live till gaudio start.......

silvy

lina_seta
01-17-2005, 01:14 AM
yeah here too.. showing Gaudio...
federer said something really loud.. but i couldnt heard clearly

fightclubber
01-17-2005, 01:16 AM
Oh so we have the same ESPN chanel

I think they will show roger complete match in 2 or 3 hours on espn +
abpout what roger said... Im not sure is he talked in english
anyone can enlight us??? I listened something like ball
but

eheee
:worship: :worship:

Dirk
01-17-2005, 01:19 AM
Ninja is too awesome just a great godly forehand pass.

Dirk
01-17-2005, 01:21 AM
4-1 double fault from shaman

fightclubber
01-17-2005, 01:22 AM
4-1 double fault from shaman

vamos roger!!!! :worship:

lina_seta
01-17-2005, 01:25 AM
5-1!!! wohooo

lina_seta
01-17-2005, 01:26 AM
i think all latin america has the same ESPN...
but what rogi said back then .. it didnt sound like english to me, i just remember me saying "what?"

Dirk
01-17-2005, 01:28 AM
ok I'm back

fightclubber
01-17-2005, 01:29 AM
yes-.---- could be... what!
heeeee
silvy

Dirk
01-17-2005, 01:30 AM
Duece FH error long and wide
FH error in the net from Shaman
Shaman loses second set

Dirk
01-17-2005, 01:31 AM
6-1 6-1

lina_seta
01-17-2005, 01:35 AM
uh oh.. things not looking too well now...

Dirk
01-17-2005, 01:36 AM
They are showing Justin and Gaudio. No Ninja :(

lina_seta
01-17-2005, 01:39 AM
uff... roger saved 3 BP

fightclubber
01-17-2005, 01:39 AM
whhyy??
maybe they are resting a bit???

Dirk
01-17-2005, 01:43 AM
FH error in the net. 15-0 Shaman
Backhand error at the net. Forced. 30-0 Shaman
error from Shaman 30-15
BH up the line winner just missed 40-15 Shaman
FH winner. 40-30 Shaman
FH volley winner from ninja Duece
AD Shaman. bad return from Ninja
FH winner pass from ninja. Great angle. Deuce
FH long. Shaman at ADV
Shaman holds 1-1

lina_seta
01-17-2005, 01:43 AM
ouch roger break break please

Dirk
01-17-2005, 01:44 AM
44 Winners and 7 errors from Ninja so far.

Fergie
01-17-2005, 01:46 AM
44 Winners and 7 errors from Ninja so far.
Great :worship:

Sadly I can't see the match here :sad:

Dirk
01-17-2005, 01:47 AM
Lob winner on the backhand side from Ninja. 15-0 Ninja
Overhead Smash winner from ninja. S/V play 30-0
stab volley from shaman 30-15
S/V from ninja missed forced pass from shaman 40-15
missed Dropper from ninja 40-30
unreturnable serve. Game Ninja 2-1

lina_seta
01-17-2005, 01:47 AM
those are good stats

lina_seta
01-17-2005, 01:48 AM
oh dirk uve got coverage?

Dirk
Laver montage :)

Dirk
and Pete montage aobut Oz

lina_seta
01-17-2005, 01:51 AM
and Pete montage aobut Oz
mmm not sure what u mean by that? :) ?

Dirk
01-17-2005, 01:52 AM
Long Return. Shaman 15-0
BH crosscourt winner from Ninja 15-15 Very rare from Ninja
wide volley from shaman 15-30
missed return 30-all
missed volley in the net from Shaman 30-40
missed long FH. Duece
missed forced volley from shaman. ADV ninja
Wide BH from Shaman
3-1 Ninja

Dirk
01-17-2005, 01:52 AM
montage about pete winning Oz twice.

lina_seta
01-17-2005, 01:54 AM
ohhh dont have that here either

Dirk
01-17-2005, 01:54 AM
FH long from ninja 0-15 Ninja
15-15 Service winner Ninja
long return from Shaman. 30-15
Service winner unreturnable 40-15
FH error from Shaman 4-1 Ninja

lina_seta
01-17-2005, 01:56 AM
ohoooo cmon ninja

Dirk
01-17-2005, 01:58 AM
BH wide 40-15 Shaman
FH pass down the line pass. 40-30 Ninja
Great BH volley from Shaman to hold. 4-2 Ninja

Dirk
01-17-2005, 01:59 AM
Missed FH volley from Ninja 15-15

RogiFan88
01-17-2005, 01:59 AM
Vamos, Rogi!
Dirk, thanks for the commentary... I sure hope we see Rogi tonight at 11.30pm but it will be AA... damn!

Gimelstob??? VAMOS, GASTON!!!

Dirk
01-17-2005, 02:01 AM
missed BH in the net. 15-30 Ninja
FH volley clips tape but goes in. 30-30
Took FH out of the air and hit it up the line for a winner 40-30
missed the last poitn but Roger won it. 5-1

Dirk
01-17-2005, 02:01 AM
5-2 or 5-3 doesn't matter

fightclubber
01-17-2005, 02:03 AM
5-2 or 5-3 doesn't matter
lol
hOPE HE CAN BREAK HIM AND GET THE 6-2

lina_seta
01-17-2005, 02:04 AM
YAY rogi!!!
break now again!!

Dirk
Shaman serving. 5-2
Netted FH volley from Shaman 0-15
netted bH slice return 15-15
30-all netted BH from Shaman
slice overhead volley BH winner match point
netted Bh volley from Shaman. NInJA WINS!!!!!!!

lina_seta
6-1 6-1 6-2!!! ROGI WOnNN!!

Dirk
01-17-2005, 02:05 AM
54 winners.

fightclubber
01-17-2005, 02:05 AM
CAMOS CAMPEONB
CMON NINJA
THANKS DIRK FOR THE REPORTS!
:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

RogiFan88
01-17-2005, 02:07 AM
Woo hoo, Rogi, easy R1 win, just the way we like it!

thanks, Dirk!

Whos' next? Haven't even really checked the draws carefully yet...

OK, now to cheer on Gaston and Tommy R and Max!

Yoda
Cheers Dirk for commentary

Sounds like Rogi played awesome tennis

Go Rogi Go

fightclubber
stats from AO site
silvy :worship: :worship: :worship:

lina_seta
01-17-2005, 02:08 AM
9 winners for santoro!
but fed got 23 UE to 20 of santoro.... uihhh it needs a little work there
but good match and convincing win overall

Billabong
01-17-2005, 02:12 AM
Rogi played like a #1 today, he was fantastic:D!!!!!!!!! GOOOO FED:yeah:!!!!!

Dirk
01-17-2005, 02:12 AM
No that stat is wrong. Roger had about 10 errors

ytben
01-17-2005, 02:13 AM
Rogi :woohoo:

It's been so long since I last saw him on my TV :D Good match from Rogi.

Second round is either against JMG or a Qualifier I think. Anyway good luck in the second round Rogi! :bounce:

-sOfia-
01-17-2005, 02:17 AM
Congrats ROGI! :worship:

lina_seta
01-17-2005, 02:19 AM
No that stat is wrong. Roger had about 10 errors
ohh good to know =)

Dirk
01-17-2005, 02:23 AM
Ninja will destroy anyone. I'm watching it again actually. :worship:

Sophie1030
01-17-2005, 02:28 AM
Congrats Roger!!! :bounce:

Whistleway
01-17-2005, 02:30 AM
Nice match.. suprise. espn showed it live.. woohoo

RogiFan88
01-17-2005, 03:13 AM
Yep Rogi plays either JMG or Takao Suzuki! Hope Suzuki wins!

RogiFan88
01-17-2005, 03:14 AM
pls oh pls let them show Rogi tonight in 15 mns OR tomorrow 2pm!!!

Dirk
01-17-2005, 03:15 AM
I want him to play JMG. I want to see Ninja destroy that meathead.

makro120
01-17-2005, 03:23 AM
Federer has hold his serve 68 times in a row now, he hasn't lost his serve since Safin broke him in the 2nd set in houston.

MissMoJo
01-17-2005, 03:23 AM
Rogi was on fire tonight, can't wait for his next match (which i hope ESPN will show...live)

makro120
01-17-2005, 03:41 AM
Takao Suzuki....

how many bagels?

lsy
01-17-2005, 04:17 AM
:yeah: Well done Rogi. Hope they show the replay tonight, from the first few game I saw he was simply on fire.

yanchr
01-17-2005, 04:38 AM
:banana: I hope the scoreline is not misleading :bounce: Well done Rogi :D

lsy, let's pray for the replay tonight :rolleyes:

lsy
01-17-2005, 04:56 AM
yeah I hope they do. Seems like Santoro had some physical problem today though, that's a pity, wonder how bad it was?

But in terms of Rogi performance from those I watched, couldn't have asked for better :eek:

yanchr
01-17-2005, 05:00 AM
DAMN I want to see it :fiery:

From the stats, Rogi did so well in all aspects. 6 BPs for Santoro :eek: Well......;)

lsy
01-17-2005, 05:03 AM
You better pray they don't replay Paradorn's match instead :tape: :tape:

lina_seta
01-17-2005, 05:33 AM
for those in latin america.. they r showing rogi's match now!!! ESPN2 eheheh

lina_seta
01-17-2005, 05:34 AM
he played so well =)
but will federer receive the golden bagel award again??? he sure has a lot of 6-1 but any 6-0 yet?

lina_seta
01-17-2005, 05:36 AM
federer seemed to virtually have a breakpoint in every serving turn of santoro

Daniel
01-17-2005, 09:30 AM
well done!!! :yeah: :banana: ;)

Mrs. B
01-17-2005, 09:46 AM
The Federer Express went full speed over Santoro!

SUKTUEN
01-17-2005, 10:09 AM
Congrat Roger !!!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

I forgot to recorder the match!!!!!! :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry:

babsi
01-17-2005, 11:00 AM
Can I cry with you - I don´t have it on tape either! :(

Anyway more importantly - he won - nice doing Rogeer keep it up :)

Fergie
01-17-2005, 11:21 AM
Well done Rogi, great match :yeah:

SUKTUEN
01-17-2005, 11:28 AM
I hope I can record the replay ~~

GOD PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

Art&Soul
01-17-2005, 12:59 PM
He's so damn good today@@@Keep it going ROGI :wavey: :angel: :wavey:

fightclubber
01-17-2005, 01:00 PM
I found this and I thought I could post it here... Lots of money for me in S America but maybe some of you can get some of them. Id love to get the Wimbly or TMC in houston!

ANyway. Glad Rogi is so involved helping people.
silvy

http://www.lgm.com.au/tribute2.asp

http://www.lgm.com.au/auction/onlineauction/?txtSearch=tennis&imageField.x=9&imageField.y=2&pge=1

Shy
01-17-2005, 01:08 PM
I miss the match. I hope that they are going to replay it today.

yanchr
01-17-2005, 01:29 PM
You better pray they don't replay Paradorn's match instead :tape: :tape:
You'd better shut up next time :fiery::fiery::fiery::fiery:

SUKTUEN
01-17-2005, 03:17 PM
I record Roger Match!!!!!!!! :devil: :devil: :devil:

Thanks GOD~~~ :devil:

ste
01-17-2005, 03:43 PM
Wow well done Rogi!!! http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v345/fuzwadd/smileys/b_jumping.gif

Mrs. B
01-17-2005, 04:31 PM
I found this and I thought I could post it here... Lots of money for me in S America but maybe some of you can get some of them. Id love to get the Wimbly or TMC in houston!

ANyway. Glad Rogi is so involved helping people.
silvy

http://www.lgm.com.au/tribute2.asp

http://www.lgm.com.au/auction/onlineauction/?txtSearch=tennis&imageField.x=9&imageField.y=2&pge=1

is that really Jim Courier bidding for his tennis racket for 3000 Aussie dollars? :eek:

fightclubber
01-17-2005, 04:49 PM
is that really Jim Courier bidding for his tennis racket for 3000 Aussie dollars? :eek:
Maybe he is a Federer Fan that wnats to help. He may have the money, he was number 1 for some time???

silvy

Mrs. B
01-17-2005, 04:55 PM
well if it's the real Courier, 3 grand is not much for him. but it's nice of him to help for this good cause. :worship:

Dirk
01-17-2005, 06:23 PM
Roger's answers are not cheap. :lol:

Xav
01-17-2005, 07:15 PM
hey great win!!!!!!!!!rogder will win AO!!

Dana
01-17-2005, 09:34 PM
I think it is! :) http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/tennis/specials/australian_open/2005/01/16/aussie.notebook.ap/

Show me the money: Most athletes don't like to be too specific about who they see as their top rival. So when Jim Courier asked top-ranked Roger Federer about his chief threat at the Australian Open, the Swiss star responded with a stock answer of the next three men in the rankings -- Lleyton Hewitt, Andy Roddick and Marat Safin -- plus Andre Agassi, who doesn't play enough tournaments these days to contend for the top spot.

Courier, a former No. 1 who has replaced John McEnroe as the television color commentator for Australia's Seven Network this year, was having none of it.

He pressed Federer, who initially resisted. Then Courier said if Federer gave him a straight answer, he would bid 3,000 Australian dollars (US$2,275, euro1,735) for a racket that is among three items that Federer has donated for an auction to benefit victims of the Asian tsunami.

"Hewitt," Federer quickly answered with a grin, committing Courier to the bid. Courier held true to his word -- his offer was listed on the auction site later Sunday.

fightclubber
01-17-2005, 10:21 PM
I think it is! :) http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/tennis/specials/australian_open/2005/01/16/aussie.notebook.ap/

Show me the money: Most athletes don't like to be too specific about who they see as their top rival. So when Jim Courier asked top-ranked Roger Federer about his chief threat at the Australian Open, the Swiss star responded with a stock answer of the next three men in the rankings -- Lleyton Hewitt, Andy Roddick and Marat Safin -- plus Andre Agassi, who doesn't play enough tournaments these days to contend for the top spot.

Courier, a former No. 1 who has replaced John McEnroe as the television color commentator for Australia's Seven Network this year, was having none of it.

He pressed Federer, who initially resisted. Then Courier said if Federer gave him a straight answer, he would bid 3,000 Australian dollars (US$2,275, euro1,735) for a racket that is among three items that Federer has donated for an auction to benefit victims of the Asian tsunami.

"Hewitt," Federer quickly answered with a grin, committing Courier to the bid. Courier held true to his word -- his offer was listed on the auction site later Sunday.
Thanks Dana
Mrs B... we got the answer!

silvy

fightclubber
01-18-2005, 12:38 AM
Funny fact: Im watching Thomas Berdych against Coria. Berdych has the same outfit as roger, white nike t-shirt. Aqua pants.. and blue/aqua shoes.... Im wondering if he ordered the ones that says "federer"
:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

fightclubber
01-18-2005, 01:00 AM
what time roger will play tomorrow?? silvy

Dirk
01-18-2005, 01:19 AM
Roger wore white Nike shoes. New ones. Not sure we will see the blue ones again.

lina_seta
01-18-2005, 06:21 AM
Funny fact: Im watching Thomas Berdych against Coria. Berdych has the same outfit as roger, white nike t-shirt. Aqua pants.. and blue/aqua shoes.... Im wondering if he ordered the ones that says "federer"
:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

theres a thread called "player's uniform" discussing this same issue :)

Mrs. B
01-18-2005, 07:41 AM
Roger wore white Nike shoes. New ones. Not sure we will see the blue ones again.

Maybe Roger lurked here during Doha and read how many fans didn't like the blue shoes. :lol:

Thanks, Dana for the article. :wavey:

Daniel
01-18-2005, 09:30 AM
Good luck !!!! :kiss: :worship: :bounce:

SUKTUEN
01-18-2005, 09:37 AM
Roger !!!! Good Luck !! :D :D

God Please bless You!!!!! :worship: :worship: :worship:

Puschkin
01-18-2005, 10:36 AM
what time roger will play tomorrow?? silvy

second match of the night session, http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/scores/schedule/index.html

babsi
01-18-2005, 10:47 AM
Thanks for the info Puschkin :)

fightclubber
01-18-2005, 11:14 AM
YES I was reading this
not sure IF Ill see it live... I must be up at 6 and I think its about that time that will be on tv. (AM my time). I hope I can tape it OR see the re-run

Silvy
Rod Laver Arena Start Time 7.30 PM

Women's Singles - 2nd Rnd.
Sophie Ferguson (AUS)
vs. Nadia Petrova (RUS)[11]

followed by
Men's Singles - 2nd Rnd.
Roger Federer (SUI)[1]
vs. Takao Suzuki (JPN)

SUKTUEN
01-18-2005, 11:24 AM
Oh ~~ It will be HK time 5:30 PM~~

I can watch the Live at home~~~ :lol: :lol: :woohoo:

avocadoe
01-18-2005, 12:23 PM
espn has been showing Roger matches, well, there has been only one, but this one won't be shown live...glad for you Suktuen, enjoy it...have a great day looking forward to it!!!

Fergie
01-18-2005, 01:01 PM
Hopp Rogi :bigclap:

SUKTUEN
01-18-2005, 01:12 PM
espn has been showing Roger matches, well, there has been only one, but this one won't be shown live...glad for you Suktuen, enjoy it...have a great day looking forward to it!!!

is Starsport or ESPN? :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

ste
01-18-2005, 01:35 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v345/fuzwadd/smileys/b_jump.gif take the second hurdle aswell, Rogi http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v345/fuzwadd/smileys/b_jump.gif

ste
01-18-2005, 01:50 PM

:tape:

read today that Rod Laver won't come to the final ceremony because his wife Mary has a bad illness.....

yanchr
01-18-2005, 01:58 PM
read today that Rod Laver won't come to the final ceremony because his wife Mary has a bad illness.....
What a pity...Hope it's not some bad sign :tape: :p

SUKTUEN
01-18-2005, 02:20 PM
Roger GOOOOOOOOOOOOO :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Art&Soul
01-18-2005, 02:25 PM
GOOD LUCK ROGI WITH SUZIKI MOTOR :D , i hope i can catch your live this time@@@@Well, long time not see your playing live, i miss your match, GO ALEZZ GO :p

RonE
01-18-2005, 02:50 PM

I'm surprised he doesn't think of Marat as his most threatening rival IMO he is much more dangerous than Hewitt he has the shots to really hurt Roger.

Puschkin
01-18-2005, 03:14 PM
I'm surprised he doesn't think of Marat as his most threatening rival IMO he is much more dangerous than Hewitt he has the shots to really hurt Roger.

Maybe he deliberately avoided Marat (and with good resaon;))

lsy
01-18-2005, 03:59 PM

I remembered reading somewhere his exact answer was :"well it's in australia, so Hewitt.." ;)

Trying to be honest but diplomatic at the same time :haha:

makro120
01-18-2005, 05:01 PM
Hewitt has more ambitions than Safin and won't ever give up to find a way to beat Federer. I understand why his answer is Hewitt.

RogiFan88
01-18-2005, 05:27 PM
Vamos, Rogi!

When will they show his match on ESPN?? Tomorrow afternoon or tonight?

lunahielo
01-19-2005, 01:58 AM
Originally posted by Rogifan~
When will they show his match on ESPN?? Tomorrow afternoon or tonight?
I heard on TV today that they will show it tomorrow afternoon. (Wed.~USA)

RogiFan88
01-19-2005, 02:04 AM
Thanks, I did see that today after the Venus repeat [ho hum....]!

Lalitha
01-19-2005, 04:01 AM
A nice article on Rogi, couple of days old, written at the begining of the AO. :)

http://www.hindu.com/2005/01/17/stories/2005011702022100.htm

Roger Federer starts favourite

http://www.hindu.com/2005/01/17/images/2005011702022101.jpg

THE MAN FROM MARS: Roger Federer is the man to beat at the Australian Open, which starts on Monday. — AP

MELBOURNE, JAN. 16. As novelties go, this one must be right up there. For the first time in Grand Slam history, 128 men will be playing two entirely different — if superficially alike — sports in quest of the same prize.

One hundred and twenty seven men will showcase some of the best fare that men's tennis has to offer, sprinting and sliding and smacking winners in soaring summer temperatures at Melbourne Park. So much for the men's game.

Then there is that solitary gent. He wouldn't be playing. While his 127 mates do that, this man from Mars — or wherever it is possible to suspend a few widely understood laws of physics while turning something as mundane as hitting a fuzzy ball with graphite and kevlar into a sublime symphony — would be composing yet another masterpiece. So much for Roger Federer's game.

The men's game has indeed split in two. One is for the huge majority of terrestrial beings.

The other, played at stratospheric levels, has but a solitary practitioner, unafraid of the heights, untouched by earthly vincibility.

Genius

Welcome, then, to the 2005 Australian Open which begins on Monday — a tournament where every competition seems as wide open as the men's singles is tightly shut.

For all you know, to save himself from the anxieties of 11th hour labour, the engraver has already put Federer's name on the Norman Brookes Cup.

That's what you might think given the odds offered for a Federer victory — a prohibitive 4/6. God, the guy has to win seven matches over two weeks in tough conditions!

From Rod Laver down to the average Joe who, plonked in his couch and switching channels, might watch the odd game or two on TV, almost everybody who has anything to do with the game seems to have agreed on one thing: Federer's genius.

In his famous novel, Howards End, E.M. Forster wrote that Beethoven's Fifth Symphony was "the most sublime noise that ever penetrated into the ear of man.''

Connoisseurs of the love-all game now seem to have concluded that Federer's tennis is the most sublime visual spectacle tennis has ever produced.

There is a whispery resonance to the Swiss magician's tennis that has managed to turn arch-rivals into awed fans. It is with a combination of fascination and unease that men such as Andy Roddick, Lleyton Hewitt and Marat Safin watch Federer play. From their body language in his presence and from what they have said, you'd even think these three, as well as all the other pros, stand up and curtsy each time the world champion walks into the drawing room.

Cold statistics

Perhaps not without reason. Royal pre-eminence is supported by cold statistics. Federer has won 14 finals in a row and has been beaten only twice in his last 46 matches. He has accumulated 6525 ATP entry system points and the second best player in the world, Roddick, has 3655. In the good, old competitive days at the top, that would have been the difference between No. 1 and No. 20.

But what is far more significant, in terms of his competitive superiority, is this: in 2004, Federer played a cumulative 12 matches against his three main challengers, Roddick, Hewitt and Safin. He won all of them, six against Hewitt and three each against the other two.

Surely, this doesn't leave much room for guessing vis-a-vis the title favourite. While we revel in the genial Swiss star's brilliance and the manner in which he takes control of a tennis court, irrespective of the opponent, the downside is men's tennis may — should Federer continue his domination through 2005 — become as predictable, if not as boringly predictable, as Formula One racing.

But, right now, nobody who likes to see sport periodically mutate into sublime art through its own form of Darwinian natural selection, will be complaining. And, for the first time since the peerless Pete Sampras was in his pomp, it seems possible that one man might be able to complete a calendar year sweep of the four Grand Slams, emulating Rod Laver (1962 and 1969) and Don Budge (1938).

Asked if the talk of a Grand Slam sweep was distracting him, Federer said today that "it is not what I'm aiming for. I am really focused on this tournament right now.'' Which is just as well because focusing on the job on hand is the first step on the long road to Grand Slam immortality, a path on which the World No. l has travelled with tremendous self-assurance and a sure sense of destiny.

Bookmakers' odds

Bookmakers' numbers generally give you the correct picture ahead of a major event. And the fact that Federer is quoted at 4/6 gives you a fair idea as to what Hewitt (8/1), Roddick (8/1), Safin (10/1) and the ageing but still hungry Andre Agassi (33/1) need to do to match the champion. Scaling the Everest without oxygen boosters might seem easier!

It used to be like that once upon a time here in women's tennis, a time when Monica Seles was simply invincible, especially in these parts. But that seems a long time ago now. And this year, in the absence of the two Belgians Kim Clijsters and the 2004 champion Justine Henin-Hardenne, and the late withdrawal of Jennifer Capriati, the women's championship wears an open look.

How serious the Williams sisters, Venus and Serena, still are about their tennis is anybody's guess.

But my guess is they are rather more serious about their wardrobes! But it is upto them and Lindsay Davenport, who suddenly finds herself at No. 1 without being in possession of a single Grand Slam title, to try and prevent a Russian four-in-a-row at the Slams.

Mrs. B
01-19-2005, 07:38 AM
Thank you, Lalitha! :hug:

SUKTUEN
01-19-2005, 09:19 AM
Lalitha! ~~ Thanks :worship:

fightclubber
01-19-2005, 09:23 AM
did the game started??
I just arrive home and no Television in argentina .. They will repeat it..

At 2 pm my time.
Did the game started=?
:(

SUKTUEN
01-19-2005, 09:29 AM
Will Start very soon~~~

Daniel
01-19-2005, 09:30 AM
match starts now, Nadia won in 3 sets (it should have been in 2) :p

Go Roger :yeah:

tschaeggy
01-19-2005, 09:37 AM
only a few minutes to start!! Come on, Rogi, do it!!!!!!!!!!!

fightclubber
01-19-2005, 09:38 AM
wow, tell me ! OK? Clothes, how is he playing.
VAMOS ROGER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Silvy

tschaeggy
01-19-2005, 09:45 AM
BLUE SHOES!!!!!!!!!!!!! white shorts, blue shirt( i think, it's the same as in Kooyong?), white bandana!
has to find his rhythm against somebody you don't know how he plays is not that easy! It will be a great match!

fightclubber
01-19-2005, 09:45 AM
oops Im looking at the coredboard. Game started
Good luck Roger!

ytben
01-19-2005, 09:47 AM
What a shot!!!!! :worship:

ytben
01-19-2005, 09:49 AM
He's been missing some easy passing shots when he has plenty of time to execute. But now it seems his engine finally warming up :D

C'mon Rogi! :bounce:

Purple Rainbow
01-19-2005, 09:54 AM
Suzuki seems a decent player at the net. This is the first time I see him play, so I don't really know much about him.
Federer's shots are a bit off it seems, a few long forehands for example.

tschaeggy
01-19-2005, 09:56 AM
Suzuki plays good!! Roger has to fight!!!!!!!!!!!

Puschkin
01-19-2005, 09:57 AM
Come on, Roger!!!!

ytben
01-19-2005, 09:58 AM
OMG, two BPs! C'mon Rogi!!! I am SO nervous :help: Saved one.

Yeah this guy is quite good. This is my first viewing of him too.

fightclubber
01-19-2005, 09:58 AM
cmon roger!!

ytben
01-19-2005, 09:59 AM
NO! Rogi got broken! C'mon Rogi please break back!

fightclubber
01-19-2005, 09:59 AM
Is it 3/ 2? Roger lost the service?????????
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO