Are Murray defensive lobs the most obnoxious shot in tennis? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Are Murray defensive lobs the most obnoxious shot in tennis?

simplet
03-25-2013, 09:13 PM
I think they are.

Hit a real shot you dweeb, this is not your local club.

Sapeod
03-25-2013, 09:21 PM
Are you stupid? :spit:

They are used when being forced on the run, as a defensive shot, that gives you time to get back into position. Most of the time, they work well and allow him to get into a decent position :stupid:

Nothing obnoxious about them. They show good touch, especially when they hit the lines. Obnoxious lob shots would be ones used unnecessarily and when you're clearly in a good position. Get that into your head.

TheShowMustGoOn
03-25-2013, 09:22 PM
No because they're bound to give you more time to recover if you pull it off, I hate Murray but this is silly.

GSMnadal
03-25-2013, 09:28 PM
What about the Dimitrov double fault?

simplet
03-25-2013, 09:31 PM
What about the Dimitrov double fault?

Finally a connoisseur in this thread. They're pretty annoying but at least they have some comedic value.

Mountaindewslave
03-25-2013, 09:36 PM
I think they are.

Hit a real shot you dweeb, this is not your local club.

it's not just his defensive lobs, it's his entire PONG like defensive style....

madmax
03-25-2013, 09:37 PM
lolwut?
Mugray is not the most exciting fella on tour, bur he does know how to produce quality defensive lobs. Can't accuse him of lacking in pushing skills

born_on_clay
03-25-2013, 09:37 PM
:lol:

Armless
03-25-2013, 09:41 PM
Obnoxious, but effective. Haters going to hate.

star
03-25-2013, 09:46 PM
Nothing like a perfectly placed lob to punish an opponent.

Besides there are also offensive lobs. Lleyton was the best ever at these.

Hewitt =Legend
03-25-2013, 09:59 PM
Hewitt's topspin backhand lobs justify my existence.

bjurra
03-25-2013, 09:59 PM
Completely failed attempts at offensive lobs are more annoying. As are you, thread starter.

ProdigyEng
03-25-2013, 10:01 PM
Yeah he should just hit a normal shot on the run straight into the net, much better option.

Nole Rules
03-25-2013, 10:06 PM
Hewitt's topspin backhand lobs justify my existence.

RNW
03-25-2013, 10:10 PM
Are you stupid? :spit:

They are used when being forced on the run, as a defensive shot, that gives you time to get back into position. Most of the time, they work well and allow him to get into a decent position :stupid:

Nothing obnoxious about them. They show good touch, especially when they hit the lines. Obnoxious lob shots would be ones used unnecessarily and when you're clearly in a good position. Get that into your head.

I agree. (It makes the statement more credible because I'm not a fan ;), haha.)

leng jai
03-25-2013, 10:10 PM
Yep it's far more offensive than when an out of position player gives no credit to their opponent and goes for a wild on the line winner on the run.

Topspindoctor
03-25-2013, 10:15 PM
The Scot's tennis is disgusting overall. I simply can't fathom why this pusher has any fans outside of UK.

3DGNumberOneFan
03-25-2013, 10:21 PM
Yes they are but they are totally the right play and make sense.

Moozza
03-25-2013, 10:31 PM
What is this thread?

Murray Mint
03-25-2013, 10:32 PM
The French mentality never ceases to amuse. :lol:

TigerTim
03-25-2013, 10:36 PM
lolwut?

hvo
03-25-2013, 10:39 PM
This thread is entirely devoted to topsindoctor.

MuzzahLovah
03-25-2013, 10:46 PM
Lol, defensive lobs are obnoxious when Murray does them, but not when Nadal or Djokovic do them?

MuzzahLovah
03-25-2013, 10:47 PM
The Scot's tennis is disgusting overall. I simply can't fathom why this pusher has any fans outside of UK.

Because he's just that sexy :shrug:

Kyle_Johansen
03-26-2013, 12:07 AM
Hilarious. As someone who finds the lob to be grossly underused in the last decade it's actually nice to see someone use them.

And tactically, why wouldn't you lob the ball up when your opponent is looking up to the sun?

latso
03-26-2013, 12:29 AM
As much as these annoyed me during his last match...i have to say it's the best he can do out of such a position against a choking opponent.

It's annoying coz the guy is also supersonic gathering the rebounded smashes 5 meters behind the baseline as well :lol:

But that's his style and if you pick the wrong sides smashing away - it's your own problem.

The funny thing is that Murray tried only one offensive lob through the whole match and missed it by a mile :lol:

janko05
03-26-2013, 12:34 AM
Seriously, what are we talking here about? :confused:

latso
03-26-2013, 12:36 AM
Seriously, what are we talking here about? :confused:
Murray's extreme defense, which is annoying when it's effective against the guy you support.

It's simple :rolleyes:

VamosRafaNadal
03-26-2013, 12:44 AM
Well I don't like Murray very much but his defensive lobs are effective, accurate and a weapon that almost every player wants to add to his game! Maybe they are not beautiful but Murray is not thinking about that when he hits them :lol: He covers the court well and with this lobs he can recover his position in the baseline in a fair period of time.

MTwEeZi
03-26-2013, 12:54 AM
Without doubt. Murray's lobs are mind-bendingly grotesque.

He should wash his hands with soap every time he hits one of those offensively defensive moonballs.

:rolleyes:

Allez
03-26-2013, 08:25 AM
OP knows nothing about tennis. Thinks only ballbashing qualifies as real tennis :rolleyes:

FleetSeb
03-26-2013, 08:41 AM
I think they're incredible. He nearly always gets them within a foot of the baseline and this is when he's at full stretch. That takes remarkable feel and touch.

indianabones
03-26-2013, 10:14 AM
Murray's defensive lobs are very effective. I think right up there with the best of them. It requires an unbelievable amount of skill to play it. Djokovic can play the defensive lob in an even more spectacular manner, sometimes full stretched and facing 180 degrees the wrong way.

That's tennis for you, the glorious sport has room for all sorts of shorts.

Topspindoctor
03-26-2013, 10:40 AM
Mugray lacks the skill and technique to hit a proper passing shot and so resorts to girly lobs in order to unfairly win the point. This tactic would be appropriate on WTA tour, but on ATP it's just laughable and underlines Mandy's lack of game. Hewitt was another offender of lobbing which is a tactic used by girls.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App (http://www.verticalsports.com/mobile)

ProdigyEng
03-26-2013, 10:42 AM
Mugray lacks the skill and technique to hit a proper passing shot and so resorts to girly lobs in order to unfairly win the point. This tactic would be appropriate on WTA tour, but on ATP it's just laughable and underlines Mandy's lack of game. Hewitt was another offender of lobbing which is a tactic used by girls.

Yet again you prove you know nothing about Tennis.

Topspindoctor
03-26-2013, 10:46 AM
Yet again you prove you know nothing about Tennis.

Forgive me for enjoying screaming forehand passes and wicked banana shots rather than glorified moonballs. If I wanted to see that I would tune into WTA match plenty of lobbing there :wavey:

ProdigyEng
03-26-2013, 10:59 AM
Forgive me for enjoying screaming forehand passes and wicked banana shots rather than glorified moonballs. If I wanted to see that I would tune into WTA match plenty of lobbing there :wavey:

You do realize how hard it is to hit a passing shot on the run out wide, right? Murray only uses the defensive lobs when he needs too.

kQt-MuMkSa8
tFgAIcUiGCQ
GHHPtEzCzvQ

BackhandDTL
03-26-2013, 11:30 AM
I feel sorry for the OP and anyone who agrees with him.

Why waste time on a sport you seemingly can't appreciate?

Go watch a World's Strongest Competition or something if you just want to see guys getting physical for the sake of it.

chalkdust
03-26-2013, 12:41 PM
I actually find Djokovic's and Nadal's defensive lobs even more offensive, because they are even more likely than Murray's to land exactly on the baseline. Also, those players are even harder to beat than Murray, so it is even more dispiriting to see a point go back to neutral against them.

Orka_n
03-26-2013, 01:30 PM
Obnoxius in a shitty way: Roddick's approaches.

Obnoxius in an annoying but effective way: Nadull's defensive moonballing FH on the run that is not a lob yet loops high enough and lands deep enough that he has time to regain position.