Which player does your personal game mostly resemble? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Which player does your personal game mostly resemble?

mikeqq
03-25-2013, 10:48 AM
Just wondering if you have had more than a few people say that your game resembles a certain player? If so, why?

I'm not trying to show off here or anything, in fact I'm a very average player who plays lower level club competitions, but more than a handful of people have said I play like Federer.

I think the reason is he's the only player I watch closely.

I think these areas of my game draws some resemblance,

1 - My single handed backhand motion
2 - My return of serve, mostly on my backhand
3 - I play with a lot of variety, and unpredictably rush the net
4 - My back hand smash volleys (I'm proud to claim this one)

Would love to hear your own game style and its resemblance to famous players.

paseo
03-25-2013, 10:51 AM
I play like Nalbandian with Fed's BH.

Topspindoctor
03-25-2013, 11:10 AM
I have Gulbis' forehand, Cilic's service motion, Karlovic backhand and Sharapova's grunts :cool:

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App (http://www.verticalsports.com/mobile)

n8
03-25-2013, 11:13 AM
I play like Nadal.

I am naturally right handed but had to switch hands when I was 20-21 due to nerve damage (ultimately requiring multiple surgeries). People always comment on how much toppy my forehand has (with some side spin like Nadal's) and how weak my serve (and return of serve) is considering the strengths in the rest of my game. I am also very quick around the court, love to slide (on the artificial grass and sand courts we have in Canberra), camp well behind the baseline and play very low risk. However, my backhand is a single hander, again with a lot of topspin.

I'm actually better left handed now than I ever was right handed! I use a ProKennex Heritage Type C Redondo Mid (not like Nadal's racquet at all, more like Federer's).

latso
03-25-2013, 11:37 AM
There are just a handful of players one can resemble these days - Fed, Rafa, Muzza/Djoker and that's pretty much it.

No one would say to me - your game looks like Wawrinka/Almagro/Haas/Gasquet - it's like Federer's.

Mostly because of the BH ofc, but i like to believe i am of a good level technically and my volleys, drop shots, BH smash, lobs, slice, etc. are also linking my game to such a resemblance.

Naturally in terms of movement and stamina i resemble much more Gasquet and Dimitrov :lol:, while stature would be the early Mardy Fish :lol:

TBkeeper
03-25-2013, 11:59 AM
My game till around 14 y.o. resembled Simon.
Now it resembles a mix of Hewitt/Davydenko/Bandy.

asmazif
03-25-2013, 11:59 AM
in terms of balance/proportions of shots, Gonzo with a 2-hander, haha?

BroTree123
03-25-2013, 12:04 PM
A bit like the Fog, where I sort of ballbash with my FH and try weird trick shots while not really giving a shit. Except I use one-handed BH.

Sombrerero loco
03-25-2013, 12:10 PM
i play a similar style to simon :P

asmazif
03-25-2013, 12:11 PM
A bit like the Fog, where I sort of ballbash with my FH and try weird trick shots while not really giving a shit. Except I use one-handed BH.

+ The Fog, of course. i may be even closer - comparatively weak serve (esp. second), and the (often netted) two-hander. plus I hit uncalled for FH dropshots far too often. though my smash is fairly abysmal (some seem to think The Fog's is, I believe it to be one of the most reliable shots in his arsenal otoh).

emotion
03-25-2013, 12:34 PM
Umm, a mix of Matosevic, Ferrer, and Robredo- kinda Matosevic's forehand, Robredo's backhand (though I've been told it looks like a very poor imitation of Gasquet), Ferrer's style and occasionally forehand. I do mix up spins a lot, so idk really who that makes me like

Slade
03-25-2013, 12:36 PM
Forehand = Wawrinka
Backhand = Tipsarevic
Serve = Ferrer

Of course the resemblance is only in looks, not effectiveness :lol:

Dr Mug
03-25-2013, 12:44 PM
My OVERALL GAME is too erratic, so that for now it's not even club level.

My FOREHAND is pretty unique, it's a loopy ball that likes to land to close to the baseline. Sometimes my opponent believes it is out and then it lands right on the line. I cannont think of a player with such a forehand.

My BACKHAND is quite consistent, it's Djoko-like, the DTL needs work though.

My SLICE is very versatile, but I cannot control it well. It helps me to get my opponent to the net, which is good for me most of the times.

My SERVE is a a power serve, but low percentage and not accurate at all.

My BH-VOLLEYS are GOAT-worthy. Honestly 1-2x/hr I hit a razor sharp BH VOLLEY that I only see from Roger on the Singles Tour.

My FH VOLLEY cross drop shot is exquisite. I don't see a player who can execute that shot like me.

My SMASH is pathetic. I tend to miss easy shots. Nole-like

My MENTAL STRENGTH is terrible. I give away 5-1 leads far too often. Just non-existent. I am worse than Almugro.

My FOOTWORK is sometimes excellent, particularly when I dance around the ball. That effortless movement resembles Fed, but unfortunately it doesn't show up everytime I step on court.

My OUTFITS are GOAT, got the 2010 Nadal Night Session Outfit. Just awesome!

Yeah, that's my game!

Dougie
03-25-2013, 01:29 PM
Sexy one-handed backhand, excellent court coverage, extremely high tennis IQ, sublime volleys, excessive choking. No question about it, I´m a club-level Haas.

latso
03-25-2013, 01:59 PM
Sexy one-handed backhand, excellent court coverage, extremely high tennis IQ, sublime volleys, excessive choking. No question about it, I´m a club-level Haas.
:lol: good one :D

TBkeeper
03-25-2013, 02:01 PM

I like the honesty :haha:
to add to my post sometimes i'm the mental GOAT , sometimes i choke worse than Peakdenko against Fed in a slam.

Yves.
03-25-2013, 02:17 PM
Llodra. I slice my backhand alot, and always try to chip & charge on return or rush the net during the rally. My defence is really weak.

Johnny Groove
03-25-2013, 03:13 PM
Honestly, probably Tommy Haas. Similar serve motion, forehand motion, one handed backhand. Talented shot maker, headcase who has suffered from many injuries.

James Blake maybe as well. Powerful shots, can ballbash when necessary, and too many errors. Or Fena Gonzalez.

Just imagine an all court shot maker, powerful forehand, one hander.

Fat Camel
03-25-2013, 04:10 PM
Actually, I would not like myself if I was a professional.

I love to bash and try to do it, but best I can do is construct the points and run to every ball possible. So Ferrer. Also I will fight for every point and I am nightmare matchup for headcases.
And I'm completely awful at net.

My favourite shot is Safin's jumping BH by the way, love doing it :)

Armless
03-25-2013, 04:17 PM
BYE. Cause we work in mysterious ways.

The Prince
03-25-2013, 04:21 PM
Probably Gulbis or Paire in terms of strengths and weaknesses. Massive driven backhand, really erratic forehand, pretty strong serve. Nice hands at the net too.

BauerAlmeida
03-25-2013, 04:29 PM
I have Karlovic's game with Coria's serve.

HKz
03-25-2013, 04:31 PM
I'd like to think Haas

rocketassist
03-25-2013, 05:13 PM
Melzer.

Mark Lenders
03-25-2013, 05:14 PM
Ferrer. I really, really suck at tennis.

Sri
03-25-2013, 05:15 PM
Haven't played tennis since I broke my wrist two years ago.

Prefer squash now and my all time favorite - ping pong. :p

Kyle_Johansen
03-25-2013, 05:26 PM
Kind of between Federer and Haas.

tennisfan856
03-25-2013, 05:34 PM
probably davydenko. Good forehand and backhand but every match isn't easy because of the shitty serve. Even a wta player would smite my 2nd serve with laughter.

August
03-25-2013, 05:34 PM
I like to volley a lot. But my serve is so weak that I can't S&V all the time like Llodra. But I often construct points like Stepanek so that I can come to net.

But unlike Stepanek, I have a single-handed BH, probably some imitation of Federer plus it's easier for me. And I'd love to have stronger shots so that I could play as offensively as Tsonga.

BauerAlmeida
03-25-2013, 05:37 PM
Ferrer. I really, really suck at tennis.

:spit::spit::spit:

Moonball Pusher
03-25-2013, 05:47 PM
My overall game is similar to Delpo's. I'm a big player, I like to pound away with the forehand, my serve isn't as good as it should be for my size, mediocre backhand. Also have wrist injury issues.

UsD.AnDreS
03-25-2013, 06:15 PM
Somdev Devvarman.
I try to hit by backhand like Safin, but in the end it always is.... Somdev Devvarman.

3DGNumberOneFan
03-25-2013, 06:26 PM
Everyone says I play like Djokovic. Very textbook not too much flair. Steady groundstrokes. Terrible overhead, etc

Allez
03-25-2013, 06:48 PM
Adrian Ungur with better forecourt movement and volleying.

Qampunen
03-25-2013, 07:18 PM
Michael Llodra or Iván Navarro.
Pure serve and volley (an endangered species, sadly :sad::sad::sad: )

Topspindoctor
03-25-2013, 07:27 PM
Kind of between Federer and Haas.

You shouldn't be wasting you talent dude. You should become a pro and win 10+ majors so in few years time MTF will have interesting debates such as 'prime Nadal vs prime Kyle Johansen' :yeah:

Brick Top
03-25-2013, 07:31 PM
Rod Laver.

Nole Rules
03-25-2013, 07:59 PM
Clownopolov. BS Tennis with a lot of slicing.

TheShowMustGoOn
03-25-2013, 08:02 PM
Rosol, I just hit the ball as hard as I can and hope it goes in.

Mountaindewslave
03-25-2013, 08:26 PM
Ferrer
relatively poor serve
reliable but not particularly penetrating groundstrokes
run around too much, end up relying on movement to win
forehand motion very similar to his
probably overall more aggressive than Ferrer because in bad moments I'll just ballbash but
grind often so yeah
:eek:

ossie
03-25-2013, 09:12 PM
I'm a pusher with no forehand, take a guess.

leng jai
03-25-2013, 09:14 PM
I'm a tactically inept version of Simon.

Hewitt =Legend
03-25-2013, 09:23 PM
I'm like a more complete version of Federer minus the nonchalant head flick.

nazzac
03-25-2013, 09:44 PM
I don't know about a certain player, but i play Serve & Volley. My serves and volleys are good in comparison to the people i play, my FH is decent, my BH sucks really, really bad. My ROS is not good either. I wouldn't call myself mentally weak, and i don't get frustrated whilst playing

I'm a bit like Tsonga, but i come to the net more

Mental Giant
03-25-2013, 09:58 PM
I've been told I'm a Nadal/Federer hybrid with Federers technique and nadals forehand and mental game just don't have the appetite to play its too boring for me, not enough competition!

samanosuke
03-25-2013, 10:01 PM
Fed has my forehand, Nole has my backhand, Isner has my serve, McEnroe had my volleys and I have Nadal's cheating skills

out_here_grindin
03-25-2013, 10:42 PM
Jeremy Chardy. I have a pretty and effective forehand and am dangerous when on. I attack first always. I can also have mental letdowns like Chardy.

rocketassist
03-25-2013, 10:42 PM
Jeremy Chardy. I have a pretty and effective forehand and am dangerous when on. I attack first always. I can also have mental letdowns like Chardy.

with a name like out_here_grindin I'd have thought Chardy was the last player your game would resemble :p

FleetSeb
03-25-2013, 11:20 PM
Probably quite a lot like Robredo. I'm very very fast (former county hurdles champ) and have a strong forehand but a pretty average single hander that I loop quite a lot.

Honestly
03-26-2013, 12:35 AM
When I play well I play like Fed. When I play badly I play like Nadal.

PedroMarquess
03-26-2013, 12:58 AM
I've been told I'm a Nadal/Federer hybrid with Federers technique and nadals forehand and mental game just don't have the appetite to play its too boring for me, not enough competition!

You should, someone has to end the GOAT BS and with those attributes you're the man.

Mountaindewslave
03-26-2013, 01:35 AM

lol.... stop drinking and smoking so much man!

Caesar1844
03-26-2013, 01:44 AM
Rafter/Llodra. Left handed. 1HBH which I slice frequently. Serve and volley almost exclusively. Heavy slice first serve, slice or kick second serve.

BroTree123
03-26-2013, 02:21 AM
+ The Fog, of course. i may be even closer - comparatively weak serve (esp. second), and the (often netted) two-hander. plus I hit uncalled for FH dropshots far too often. though my smash is fairly abysmal (some seem to think The Fog's is, I believe it to be one of the most reliable shots in his arsenal otoh).

My serve is pretty shit as well :lol: You should see me when I haven't played in like 2 years. I can't even get it inside the court :lol:

My dropshots sometimes land back into my own square, but when I get it right, no one can touch that shit.

Topspindoctor
03-26-2013, 02:32 AM
I have no forehand, I wait for UE and I rely on wind to win all my matches. Guess which player am I

MrPlateperson
03-26-2013, 02:34 AM
Forehand is identical to Dudi Sela's. Backhand is like Dodig's withouth the hitch and people tell me my serve is like raonic's except its slow. Dont know how to hit volleys. :p

Mark Lenders
03-26-2013, 02:37 AM
I have no forehand, I wait for UE and I rely on wind to win all my matches. Guess which player am I

Hmm not quite sure here, Del Potro maybe?

Forehand is identical to Dudi Sela's. Backhand is like Dodig's withouth the hitch and people tell me my serve is like raonic's except its slow. Dont know how to hit volleys. :p

That's an easy one. You're WingManFrank.

MrPlateperson
03-26-2013, 02:41 AM

Mugray of course

TigerTim
03-26-2013, 09:23 AM
Ferrer I am afraid, fit, solid, but nothing special, oh dear

TigerTim
03-26-2013, 09:24 AM
Fed has my forehand, Nole has my backhand, Isner has my serve, McEnroe had my volleys and I have Nadal's cheating skills

:lol: :worship:

leng jai
03-26-2013, 09:37 AM
Yeah let's all pretend to be gimped versions of Tommy Haas. Surprising that so many people are nonchalantly admitting to being a gimped gimp.

Chris Kuerten
03-26-2013, 09:49 AM
Would've been great if everyone posted their rating to put some things in perspective :spit:

pierricbross
03-26-2013, 10:12 AM
My backhand is constantly called beautiful. Even when I miss and apologise people say 'no problems, just seeing the shot is enough' (not exaggerating hilariously enough). So I guess, Gasquet-like? Unfortunately my forehand looks the same as Gasquets as well. =P

Jverweij
03-26-2013, 12:32 PM
I'm way to muggy to resemble even a basic tennisplayer, but I do have Murray's destructive shouting and Almagro's mindset :haha:

Everko
03-26-2013, 07:47 PM
I haven't played in years. But I used to play like Nadal except right handed.

ProdigyEng
03-26-2013, 07:49 PM
I'm fat so I guess my game instantly resembles Roddick.

se7en
03-31-2013, 08:54 AM
I cheat like there's no tomorrow. My game depends on it. I don't speak Spanish, just Catalan.

Federer-Fan
03-31-2013, 10:35 AM
Serve : Nadal
Forehand : Verdasco
Backhand : Youzhny
Slice : Federer
Volley : Wawrinka
Return Of Serve : Djokovic
Court Coverage : Murray
Smash : Cilic
Mental strengh : Simon

TBkeeper
03-31-2013, 12:58 PM
I cheat like there's no tomorrow. My game depends on it. I don't speak Spanish, just Catalan.

3...2...1...:facepalm:

The Prince
03-31-2013, 01:11 PM
I played hungover yesterday, so that instantly makes me Martin Kližan, no?

scarecrows
03-31-2013, 01:42 PM
Lorenzi

BroTree456
03-31-2013, 01:53 PM
probably nadal and murray, i use a tons of gamesmanship tatics and i moan everytime i lose a point

emotion
03-31-2013, 01:53 PM
Would've been great if everyone posted their rating to put some things in perspective :spit:

I'll do a more detailed one. With that.

4.0 player, high school #2 singles, #1 doubles. I am a good strategist with absolutely 0 natural talent except for very good anticipation of where the ball will be

Forehand: Matosevic or Ferrer- sorta a righty Melzer at times
Backhand: Robredo or Gasquet (Though I hit a 2-hander if ball is somewhat behind me, a remnant of the backhand I used to have)
Serve: Just an embarrassing shot, due to back problems absolutely all shoulder. No one really, maybe closest to Monfils
Movement: Ferrer
Slice: Djokovic
Overhead: Cilic, unfortunately
Volley: Almagro, unfortunately
Return of serve: Federer
Mental strength: Gonzalez (Generally very good with occasional huge choke thrown in, and best when anger is displayed. Two weeks ago in doubles me and my partner saved 13 match points in 2 matches to get to the final)

My forehand would be a very good shot if I had anything else at all to back it up

delboy
03-31-2013, 02:08 PM
Timon Reichelt