Miami R3: T.Haas def. A.Dolgopolov 6-3 6-2 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Miami R3: T.Haas def. A.Dolgopolov 6-3 6-2

Lugburz
03-24-2013, 07:12 PM
awesome match with great shots. :worship:

FleetSeb
Nice work Tommy. Hope he can cause Nole some problems in the next round!

Chris Kuerten
Haas = Sex

Federer in 2
03-24-2013, 07:13 PM
:bounce:

Stronga23
03-24-2013, 07:14 PM
Tommy will be a handful for Nole just like in Montreal. Should be a fun match.

emotion
Haas was down *0-2 0-40, hit a "fuck this" second serve ace, well...it worked out.

leng jai
Some exceedingly arousing tennis from Thomas Hass. 13 aces is servebot territory.

Haas making the 4th round in Miami is equivalent of him winning a grand slam.

STUHL
03-24-2013, 07:15 PM
Tommy that was orgasmic. Time to Trouble novak again now. :worship:

21 winners just 17 errors. :worship:

champras
03-24-2013, 07:15 PM
Nice revenge Tommy! I like Dolgo's playing style and used to support him, but not against Haas. 1/8 break points won by Jr.
Hats off Tommy!!

gorgo1986
03-24-2013, 07:16 PM
Tommy playing some mouth watering tennis!!!!! I cannot believe he is playing this way at 34. Top Ten here we come! LOL

Honestly Tommy Haas never having won a Slam is a travesty. He is so talented.

The wind was not effecting him at all, had second serve aces, lobs, winners and drop shots from all over the court.

Too bad for Dolgo, better luck in the next tournament.

Noleta
03-24-2013, 07:16 PM
Results like these makes me happy.:D

Jelena
03-24-2013, 07:17 PM
That play of the day point was amazing in the penultimate service game of Tommy at 0-40 :worship:

nole_no1
03-24-2013, 07:17 PM
I was expecting much more from Dolgopolov (don't know exactly why)

STUHL
03-24-2013, 07:18 PM
And Even better his daughter saw the Match. Great Interview. :)

Wolfy
03-24-2013, 07:20 PM
what a clown.

Pratik
03-24-2013, 07:20 PM
#16 is now practically assured for Haas. This would be his highest ranking in the past 5 years(since Jan 2008)

nenfil
03-24-2013, 07:22 PM
Those conditions were tough. Because of wind some rallies were so funny...

Roy Emerson
03-24-2013, 07:23 PM
Haas.:yeah:

DarkMarc
03-24-2013, 07:25 PM
Fantastic match from Haas, a little surprising after the start. I saw another del Potro match coming (what was his ratio again 5 winners, 46 unforced errors??;) )

retister
03-24-2013, 07:25 PM
Finally a result everyone approves of.

Dark Knight
03-24-2013, 07:27 PM
Haas that was awesome. :rocker:

Jverweij
03-24-2013, 07:28 PM
what a shame about that shot at 0-40! would've been shot of the year for sure

Good match by Haas, served 2 aces on second serves when serving for the match, not too shabby

leng jai
03-24-2013, 07:28 PM
Hass showing off his tactical genius and astronomical tennis IQ in the windy conditions.

Abel
03-24-2013, 07:35 PM
Entertaining match. Haas was excellent and Dolgo made some great shots even if he wasn't consistent.

Pirata.
03-24-2013, 07:36 PM
Haas :worship:

Saberq
03-24-2013, 07:38 PM
good for Novak that little girl gives him problems for some reason .......

bouncer7
03-24-2013, 07:45 PM
Expected. These speed courts are always good for onehanders like Haas or Blake.

RNW
03-24-2013, 07:45 PM
I can decide whether I lost hope more in Dolgopolov, Wawrinka or Istomin. It is tight.

But nice to see Haas playing still awesome tennis at 34.

SVK
03-24-2013, 07:51 PM
good for Novak that little girl gives him problems for some reason .......

You really need to stop insulting players left and right, if someone would call you all the names you call others, you wouldn´t be happy and calm I guess.

Topspindoctor
03-24-2013, 07:58 PM
Less talented player won. Muggy Haas is not very good player at all, I don't see what the big deal is about. He is probably worst #2 in open era... that's something to be embarrassed about, while everyone seems to think the German mug is some kind of tennis god :confused:

Lugburz
03-24-2013, 07:59 PM
Less talented player won. Muggy Haas is not very good player at all, I don't see what the big deal is about. He is probably worst #2 in open era... that's something to be embarrassed about, while everyone seems to this the German mug is some kind of tennis god :confused:

good post, You have outdone yourself this time :worship:

latso
03-24-2013, 08:08 PM
Less talented player won. Muggy Haas is not very good player at all, I don't see what the big deal is about. He is probably worst #2 in open era... that's something to be embarrassed about, while everyone seems to think the German mug is some kind of tennis god :confused:
you are the worst poster in any era. srsly :facepalm:

Topspindoctor
03-24-2013, 08:12 PM
you are the worst poster in any era. srsly :facepalm:

A guy without a slam final and 1 masters title making #2 in the world is utterly pathetic and shows what weak era it was - comparing to some of the #2's we've had in recent years. He is overrated on this forum, I have watched him play. He is semi serve bot pretending to be a fancy shot maker. Girly backhand doesn't help either, too bad Nadal didn't meet him enough to extend that H2H and embarrass him a few more times :wavey:

Lugburz
03-24-2013, 08:14 PM
A guy without a slam final and 1 masters title making #2 in the world is utterly pathetic and shows what weak era it was - comparing to some of the #2's we've had in recent years. He is overrated on this forum, I have watched him play. He is semi serve bot pretending to be a fancy shot maker. Girly backhand doesn't help either, too bad Nadal didn't meet him enough to extend that H2H and embarrass him a few more times :wavey:

:worship::worship:

latso
03-24-2013, 08:32 PM
If i'm not mistaking there is no other player to make it to the #2 and not making the #1 spot after that. If there is such a player he's probably from the early days of the open era.

Haas has never been a potential #1, he's never been goat material, but he's made the very maximum of that second league players - the #2 spot.

He's from the league of Tsonga and Berdych nowadays, Enqvist, Krajicek, etc. who had the same potential but never made it (and probably never will for the active ones) to the second spot in the table.

So Tommy Haas is actually the one who made the absolute maximum of his abilities.

Lugburz
03-24-2013, 08:36 PM
I can't believe you take him seriously. His knowledge about tennis is equal to my knowledge in ballet.

latso
i just found another one who made it up to #2 actually - Michael Chang.

But Chang has been considered a #1 potential player, who actually failed imo

Chris Kuerten
l1PHILJmS_s

GOAT point, the result is irrelevant.

latso
03-24-2013, 08:37 PM
I can't believe you take him seriously. His knowledge about tennis is equal to my knowledge in ballet.
i'm ignoring a good dozen of similar posters for years, but sometimes it's just too much.

but ignoring is the way indeed

Topspindoctor
03-24-2013, 08:39 PM
i just found another one who made it up to #2 actually - Michael Chang.

But Chang has been considered a #1 potential player, who actually failed imo

Chang won a slam, though. And you claim that Haas "maximized his potential", but what really he played in very weak/transitional era. (2002). You claim he is Tsonga/Berdych level of talent and I agree. But Haas did not have to deal with the big 3 and Mugray on the way to big titles and that explains their ranking. Haas didn't "maximize" - he merely had weaker competition where Hewitt (ultimate transitional champ) was #1. :shrug:

motorhead
03-24-2013, 08:40 PM

:haha: mugtso

Topspindoctor
03-24-2013, 08:41 PM

You are a fangirl and thus can't accept unbiased criticism. If prime Haas played today he would be 6-10 rank player :wavey:

rocketassist
03-24-2013, 08:42 PM
Not sure what's more impressive, Hass's victory and margin or the Doc's work in here :rolls:

bouncer7
03-24-2013, 08:46 PM
No.16 of Strong era >>> No.2 of Weak era

Haas used to be grass mug but now is grass goat, much better and improved player than he was in the past.

He deserve top10 this year if he continues with these games.

Topspindoctor
03-24-2013, 08:47 PM
No.16 of Strong era >>> No.2 of Weak era

Haas used to be grass mug but now is grass goat, much better and improved player than he was in the past.

He deserve top10 this year if he continues with these games.

:spit:

Haas deserves top 10 this year as much as Ferrer deserves #4

Ashlar77
03-24-2013, 08:50 PM
Well deserved win for Tommy :hatoff:

Dolgo..... :( :fiery:

Kowchi
03-24-2013, 08:51 PM
Regardless of Haas=mug era blah blah blah Bullshit.

He is so entertaining to watch!! Definitely not a Gilles Simon vs. Monflis match.
Guy plays like he is 20. Might as well be XD

Lugburz
03-24-2013, 08:52 PM
You are a fangirl and thus can't accept unbiased criticism. If prime Haas played today he would be 6-10 rank player :wavey:

fangirl :lol:

You don't know what criticism means apparently.

Jelena
03-24-2013, 08:55 PM
I can assure you that in Germany Haas was NEVER considered tennis god. For Germans the tennis God is even now Boris Becker, no matter the mug things he did in the past 10+ years. :facepalm:

:wavey:

Lugburz
03-24-2013, 09:07 PM
I can assure you that in Germany Haas was NEVER considered tennis god. For Germans the tennis God is even now Boris Becker, no matter the mug things he did in the past 10+ years. :facepalm:

and the point is? :facepalm:

bouncer7
03-24-2013, 09:07 PM
:spit:

Haas deserves top 10 this year as much as Ferrer deserves #4

Ferrer is well-deserved top4, and he is sure till indoor season, especially when fedmug lose his points from madrid, wimbledon, olympics, cincy...and if Nadal would fail during clay season, Ferrer could fight for higher place.

STUHL
03-24-2013, 09:08 PM
If Haas gets a good wimbledon draw he can reach Top 10 for a short time, if he continues his level of play now. Last year he was fucked that he faced a red hot Kohli

abraxas21
03-24-2013, 09:09 PM
If i'm not mistaking there is no other player to make it to the #2 and not making the #1 spot after that. If there is such a player he's probably from the early days of the open era.

Haas has never been a potential #1, he's never been goat material, but he's made the very maximum of that second league players - the #2 spot.

He's from the league of Tsonga and Berdych nowadays, Enqvist, Krajicek, etc. who had the same potential but never made it (and probably never will for the active ones) to the second spot in the table.

So Tommy Haas is actually the one who made the absolute maximum of his abilities.

i absolutely disagree.

haas is certainly an underachiever. he's got the talent to be virtually like federer but lacks the winning mindset and the good shape.

Jelena
03-24-2013, 09:12 PM
and the point is? :facepalm:
the point is that Haas was never considered a tennis god, which is the difference to Becker

bouncer7

that's why german tennis sucks. Instead of 35y old warrior with great and watchable game, kids idol is one dimensional mug who much more cared to be a playboy than tennis player.

mark73
Nothing but respect for a guy whose been injured so many times and is 34 and can play this well.

Jelena
03-24-2013, 09:14 PM
Nothing but respect for a guy whose been injured so many times and is 34 and can play this well.
This. To say Haas doesn't have a competitive mindset is just ridiculous. If he hadn't that competitive mindset, he would have retired at least 7 years ago.

Lugburz
03-24-2013, 09:19 PM
i absolutely disagree.

haas is certainly an underachiever. he's got the talent to be virtually like federer but lacks the winning mindset and the good shape.

underachiever because of talent or injuries?

leng jai
03-24-2013, 09:26 PM
Hass is the biggest underachiever in the history of sport. A poor man's Steven Bradbury at best.

Jelena
03-24-2013, 09:34 PM
if he hadn't had the injuries I would agree he is an underachiever. Because of the injuries I admire him for his fighting spirit to come back twice into the Top 20 at least and I would never dare to call him underachiever.

Burrow
03-24-2013, 09:36 PM

Corretja and Ivanisevic, no?

asmazif
03-24-2013, 09:40 PM
Corretja and Ivanisevic, no?

also Stich, Chang, Korda, Magnus Norman. quite a few.

Burrow
03-24-2013, 09:47 PM
also Stich, Chang, Korda, Magnus Norman. quite a few.

Norman came to me just as I clicked submit :lol:

One of my favourite players.

Ashe, Vilas, Rosewall and Orantes too.

Mae
03-24-2013, 09:51 PM
Tommy :D But why is Nole next?

Sombrerero loco
03-24-2013, 10:08 PM
dolgo :hug: too bad...

VamosRafaNadal
03-24-2013, 10:10 PM
GOAT Haas to double bagel Djokovic.

Come on Tommy!

The Prince
03-24-2013, 10:17 PM
Murray made number two, right?

latso
03-24-2013, 10:28 PM
i absolutely disagree.

well, same goes for Oli Rochus then, lacking only some height and power.

I've always liked Haas, he's always been the type of players i like, just like Verdasco - incredible shotmaking talent, yet too many daemons in the head...

Haas wasted too many years fighting himself and now that he has the head sorted out, the body won't allow him to do what he could have.

Lugburz
03-24-2013, 10:32 PM

He never made it because of hard luck. You say he couldn't make #1 after being #2. But what happened to him after reaching #2? He missed the whole next year because his father was in coma after traffic incident.
We can't know if he was capable of reaching #1 at that time, but most likely he was actually capable.

Not to mention how many more YEARS he spent away from tour.
The saddest thing is that his career has been mostly known because of his many injuries and not achievements.
But the fact remains that he has one of the best tennis game to watch of all time. One of the greatest talents, which have been proven many times, not to mention in his late career being twice comeback player of the year in his 30+ years of age.
Also still beating these youngsters, who only need to respect a guy that had so many injuries even when he was 32+ years old and to comeback after that. 90% of others would have retired ages ago.

Having said that, I really don't care if he's 'underachieved' because I never followed guys who have all the trophies, records and glory hunters.
I just love to watch quality tennis and I'm only gracious I can still watch him play at this age let alone play tennis like this, competing for titles and causing trouble to top dogs.

Burrow
03-24-2013, 10:37 PM
well, same goes for Oli Rochus then, lacking only some height and power.

I've always liked Haas, he's always been the type of players i like, just like Verdasco - incredible shotmaking talent, yet too many daemons in the head...

Haas wasted too many years fighting himself and now that he has the head sorted out, the body won't allow him to do what he could have.

Actually, he's just about as big a nutter as he always has been. It's not like he's Pete Sampras now.

I wouldn't compare him to Verdasco; a player who kills himself by hitting the ball as hard as he can to hit through opponents and always inconsistently. Haas produces easier power, has far more variety and despite hitting the ball flatter he can use angles more effectively. He's also a far, far better athlete.

Olivier Rochus was a stunning player to watch when he was younger because he produced phenomenal power for a man who was always listed as 5'4'' (up until around 2006 when he apparently grew two inches :lol:) and played many excellent matches against the big man on tour in Marat Safin whose strokes also produced easy and flat power. He had absolutely no problems in trading heavy strokes from the back with the man who was a foot taller. Even more remarkable was the fact that he hit the ball so flat and didn't rely on top spin. Very much a feel player and I have no doubt that he would have been a big time player had it not been for his height. Today he is a shadow of his former self, but still a joy to watch.

Orka_n
03-24-2013, 10:45 PM
34 year old from "weak era" pissing all over the talents of this era. Expected.

Great stuff from Tommy. Now challenge Nole.

born_on_clay
03-24-2013, 10:53 PM
so happy for Tommy :banana:

Jelena
03-24-2013, 10:53 PM
He never made it because of hard luck. You say he couldn't make #1 after being #2. But what happened to him after reaching #2? He missed the whole next year because his father was in coma after traffic incident.
We can't know if he was capable of reaching #1 at that time, but most likely he was actually capable.

Not to mention how many more YEARS he spent away from tour.
The saddest thing is that his career has been mostly known because of his many injuries and not achievements.
But the fact remains that he has one of the best tennis game to watch of all time. One of the greatest talents, which have been proven many times, not to mention in his late career being twice comeback player of the year in his 30+ years of age.
Also still beating these youngsters, who only need to respect a guy that had so many injuries even when he was 32+ years old and to comeback after that. 90% of others would have retired ages ago.

Having said that, I really don't care if he's 'underachieved' because I never followed guys who have all the trophies, records and glory hunters.
I just love to watch quality tennis and I'm only gracious I can still watch him play at this age let alone play tennis like this, competing for titles and causing trouble to top dogs.
There are 2 wrong things here.
1. he yes missed 6 weeks in 2002 because of the accident of his parents. He said afterwards, he used this break also to rest his shoulder (beside caring for his parents) because he then already had problems with it. In the fall of that year he had to retire or hand in a walkover to opponents several times because his shoulder made problems.
2. When he won the first time the "comeback player of the year" award in 2004 (after the first shoulder injury which took him out for whole 2003) he was "only" 26 and not 30+

BauerAlmeida
03-24-2013, 10:54 PM
Olivier Rochus was a stunning player to watch when he was younger because he produced phenomenal power for a man who was always listed as 5'4'' (up until around 2006 when he apparently grew two inches :lol:) and played many excellent matches against the big man on tour in Marat Safin whose strokes also produced easy and flat power. He had absolutely no problems in trading heavy strokes from the back with the man who was a foot taller. Even more remarkable was the fact that he hit the ball so flat and didn't rely on top spin. Very much a feel player and I have no doubt that he would have been a big time player had it not been for his height. Today he is a shadow of his former self, but still a joy to watch.

Yes, Rochus have Safin one hell of a fight in the AO 2005. He caused him more trouble than anyone else during that tournament except for Federer, obviously.

He definitely would have been a top 10 player if he was a few inches taller.

Lugburz
03-24-2013, 10:59 PM
There are 2 wrong things here.
1. he yes missed 6 weeks in 2002 because of the accident of his parents. He said afterwards, he used this break also to rest his shoulder (beside caring for his parents) because he then already had problems with it. In the fall of that year he had to retire or hand in a walkover to opponents several times because his shoulder made problems.
2. When he won the first time the "comeback player of the year" award in 2004 (after the first shoulder injury which took him out for whole 2003) he was "only" 26 and not 30+

1. I know, that's kinda what I said, I know about the shoulder injuries and 3 ops.

2. sorry my bad I was pretty sure he won it back in 2009 which should have been his btw.

leng jai
03-24-2013, 11:15 PM
It's not like he's transformed into some mental giant in is his latter years. He's been wasting opportunities just as much as before and hasn't won a 5 set match since Wimbledon 2009.

Stensland
03-24-2013, 11:31 PM
well he did become more gentle, if you will. haas used to be a major arsehole on court and off court. back in the days in halle i've seen him ditch fans, shout at hitting partners, piss off every staff member with his antics. he's matured over the years, good for him. but i never understood the notion of him being a "people's champion" due to his personal behaviour. he got game, he got body, but he ain't got (good) personality. mentioning him in the same thread with somelike like sampras just feels wrong.

Burrow
03-24-2013, 11:38 PM
well he did become more gentle, if you will. haas used to be a major arsehole on court and off court. back in the days in halle i've seen him ditch fans, shout at hitting partners, piss off every staff member with his antics. he's matured over the years, good for him. but i never understood the notion of him being a "people's champion" due to his personal behaviour. he got game, he got body, but he ain't got (good) personality. mentioning him in the same thread with somelike like sampras just feels wrong.

I've never heard someone mention him in the same breath in any way with Sampras.

atennisfan
03-24-2013, 11:43 PM
So a 35 yo geezer from a "weak era" is thrashing all these youngsters from a "strong era"

:rolls:

Honestly
03-24-2013, 11:45 PM
So a 35 yo geezer from a "weak era" is thrashing all these youngsters from a "strong era"

:rolls:

You read my mind. My sig doesn't lie.

Stensland
03-24-2013, 11:58 PM
@ burrow

sorry about that, i skimmed through the thread and somehow remembered you saying "he's like pete sampras now" which seemed very weird to me. turns out you said "he's not like pete sampras." now my post seems weird. :D

nolesfan2011
03-25-2013, 12:40 AM
Dolgo perpetually disappoints.. good first 3 games of the match, and then nothing but errors and fooling around the rest of the way.

PorkBarrel
03-25-2013, 01:19 AM
Murray made number two, right?
For a little while in 2009, yes.

TDoc is still effective, it seems. :worship:

Absolute Anthropoid
03-25-2013, 02:52 AM
Wind and Mugopolov is a bad combination.

Good play by Haas from what I saw though

Cereal Killer
03-25-2013, 03:10 AM

Certainly not for everyone. I wish it had just been 10 years.

Tommy seems to be in decent form, he might even challenge Djokovic slightly.

Alex999
03-25-2013, 03:58 AM
darn, couldn't see the match, but so happy for Haas. looking forward so much to the Nole/Tommy match.

BroTree123
03-25-2013, 04:00 AM
Good stuff.

juan27
03-25-2013, 04:09 AM
Ferrer is well-deserved top4, and he is sure till indoor season, especially when fedmug lose his points from madrid, wimbledon, olympics, cincy...and if Nadal would fail during clay season, Ferrer could fight for higher place.

jajjaajjaja , well deserved top-4???

another mug in the most weak era on clay of all times.

strong era and you put ferrer , murray and del potro?????

......funny.

juan27
03-25-2013, 04:11 AM
34 year old from "weak era" pissing all over the talents of this era. Expected.

Great stuff from Tommy. Now challenge Nole.

true.

this era is a joke , always the same 4 and the rest of the field it`s patetic.

haas push to the limits peak federer , nole and others.

Topspindoctor
03-25-2013, 06:15 AM
true.

this era is a joke , always the same 4 and the rest of the field it`s patetic.

haas push to the limits peak federer , nole and others.

I agree. This era is a joke. Much better when Blake, Boredo, Ljubicic and Haas were in top 5 :yeah:

heya
03-25-2013, 06:50 AM
Roddick beat Fed last year & Fed had to escape against a washed-up Roddick at US Open, at 2 Wimbledons & Masters Cup with 3 match points vs. him.

How many titles and finals did Roddick, Davydenko, Hewitt, Haas, Safin, Coria, Gaudio, lol Ancic & Falla have from age 21-30?

San Jose isn't clay & Slams....LOLOLOL Dick struggled in Montreal 2003, saved matchpoints vs. Fish and an injured Nalbandian & barely had 6 titles in the "stronger era". He couldn't beat top 10 players in Davis Cup, while Ferrer beat top players then won 7 titles at age 30.

latso
03-25-2013, 09:02 AM
It's not like he's transformed into some mental giant in is his latter years. He's been wasting opportunities just as much as before and hasn't won a 5 set match since Wimbledon 2009.
I see him differently after the Almagro match :D

Dead Net Cord
03-25-2013, 09:09 AM
I miss the old Dolgo.

Dark Knight
03-25-2013, 06:01 PM

Is it why all WTA players have a two handed backhand??

leng jai
03-25-2013, 10:02 PM
WTA = manly version of the ATP tour.

abraxas21
03-26-2013, 12:23 AM
yup, still a headcase on court

Lugburz
03-26-2013, 12:30 AM
yup, still a headcase on court

still can't deny he has the most hilarious outbursts on tour.

Alex999
03-26-2013, 04:06 AM
WTA = manly version of the ATP tour.
I can see your sense of humor but the WTA is just completely silly nowadays. I won't even comment :cool:. Bring back Navratilova/Evert and Graf/Seles and I will be watching :). Gosh, it's funny but there was a time when I was more interested in the WTA than the ATP.

on the other hand too bad I didn't see the match, but I'm very happy for Tommy.