SAP analysis [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

SAP analysis

motorhead
03-24-2013, 12:37 AM
Don't know if anyone has noticed this but the San Jose tourney website had this featuring called SAP which provided many infos, statistics and vistrual display of stats just like the onea we see on tv.
I thought this feature was only available for San Jose but I read this article which mentions it
http://straightsets.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/03/22/breaking-it-down-nieminen-vs-nalbandian/

Is there a way to have a look at this stats?

philosophicalarf
03-24-2013, 02:19 PM
Dunno if it's what's referred to here specifically, but Hawkeye can generate pretty much any stat imaginable. They record every millimetre of trajectory of every shot played, and of course it's all archived.

So say you want to know player X's average ball strike point behind the baseline over the years, to illustrate how he has developed a more aggressive approach - easy enough. Or the time of average baseline to baseline shot, or the average height over the net, or pretty much anything you can imagine. Literally any time the ball is in play, there's a computerised 3D model of it.

The accuracy of the system is such it seems they can even calculate what they can't directly measure, for example spin rates - the physics are all well known, and spin is essentially excess deviation from a normal predicted trajectory.

emotion
03-24-2013, 02:28 PM
I really enjoy the writing of that person when they're mocking Nemo's play the first set and a half

motorhead
03-24-2013, 07:01 PM
Dunno if it's what's referred to here specifically, but Hawkeye can generate pretty much any stat imaginable. They record every millimetre of trajectory of every shot played, and of course it's all archived.

So say you want to know player X's average ball strike point behind the baseline over the years, to illustrate how he has developed a more aggressive approach - easy enough. Or the time of average baseline to baseline shot, or the average height over the net, or pretty much anything you can imagine. Literally any time the ball is in play, there's a computerised 3D model of it.

The accuracy of the system is such it seems they can even calculate what they can't directly measure, for example spin rates - the physics are all well known, and spin is essentially excess deviation from a normal predicted trajectory.Yea I'm sure they used this Hawkeye technology to gather those info in the SAP analysis, the question is whether this data was available to users only for the San Jose website or there's a way to have the same data for other tourneys

Time Violation
03-24-2013, 07:26 PM
Yea I'm sure they used this Hawkeye technology to gather those info in the SAP analysis, the question is whether this data was available to users only for the San Jose website or there's a way to have the same data for other tourneys

If I know anything about SAP it's that nothing comes free nor cheap from them, so I wouldn't get my hopes high :lol:

philosophicalarf
03-24-2013, 07:35 PM
Yea I'm sure they used this Hawkeye technology to gather those info in the SAP analysis, the question is whether this data was available to users only for the San Jose website or there's a way to have the same data for other tourneys

I think it's an "extra" charged to broadcasters or events, not entirely sure that's right though.

G.100sic
03-24-2013, 10:17 PM
The conclusion at the end of the O’Shannessy's article is veeeeeeeeery interesting...
"Making one more ball wins more matches at all levels of the game than pretty much anything else out there."
The grinding, there you have it! Don't blame it on the courts, it's the tactics actually.

moon language
03-25-2013, 01:23 AM
SAP was the sponsor of the San Jose event. It is not a special type of match analysis.