The Second Serve [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

The Second Serve

jjc225
03-23-2013, 07:10 PM
1. Who has the best second serve among active players? I think it might be Nadal or Djokovic. Maybe Federer. What do you think?

2. Who has the best second serve of all time? I would guess Edberg.

2. What would be the effect of trying to get by with only a first serve? I guess no one really does it because they would hit too many double faults. But maybe the increased double faults would be offset by the better outcomes of more first serves. Any thoughts?

Federer in 2
03-23-2013, 07:13 PM
Djokovic? Are you kidding? Murray and Djokovic produce sitters for second serves, that's one of the biggest weaknesses in their game.

Isner has a good 2nd serve basically because he is serving from a tree. Other than that - Federer by far. Best placement serve ever.

GSMnadal
03-23-2013, 07:13 PM
1. Deffo not Nadal. Isner always a good shout when it comes to serving.

2. Sampras

Nadal and Djokovic second serves are made look better because of their superior ground game. The serves itself are very ordinary

Federer in 2
03-23-2013, 07:17 PM
Honorable mention to Berdych.

Saberq
03-23-2013, 07:17 PM
Djokovic has a great second serve always did

Popo21
03-23-2013, 07:19 PM
Isner definitely has the best 2nd...especially when he gets the huge kick on it

Who has the worst 2nd? From what I've seen it is probably Goffin, he either DFs or serves it up on a platter for the returner

jjc225
03-23-2013, 07:20 PM
1. Deffo not Nadal. Isner always a good shout when it comes to serving.

2. Sampras

Nadal and Djokovic second serves are made look better because of their superior ground game. The serves itself are very ordinary

The previous poster thought Federer might have the best second serve among current players. Both you and the previous poster also find weaknesses in the Djokovic and Nadal second serves. Fair enough. On the third question, about using just a first serve even on the second serve, perhaps those with high double fault totals, like Goffin or Verdasco, maybe these players are doing that. Or maybe they just have erratic second serves.

lalaland
03-23-2013, 07:21 PM
Isner, that kick is wicked.

jjc225
03-23-2013, 07:24 PM
Isner, that kick is wicked.

Lots of folks are saying Isner has the best second serve. Understandable given his great first serve and height. Didn't McEnroe have a great second serve? I seem to remember that he did.

motorhead
03-23-2013, 07:27 PM
1 simon

2 murray

2 already discussed 1,000 times

Time Violation
03-23-2013, 07:28 PM
Djokovic? Are you kidding? Murray and Djokovic produce sitters for second serves, that's one of the biggest weaknesses in their game.

Nole's definitely not the greatest, but usually far from weak.

latso
03-23-2013, 07:30 PM
Isner by far, all time.

TBkeeper
03-23-2013, 09:17 PM
idk but Nalba and Davy are one of the worst second servers of all-time... if only they had a second serve :rolleyes:

Hyman
03-23-2013, 09:41 PM
Feliciano López by far. I'm surprised no one has mentioned him.

The worst second server that I remember is Guillermo Coria.

Topspindoctor
03-23-2013, 09:42 PM
Nadal

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App (http://www.verticalsports.com/mobile)

TBkeeper
03-23-2013, 09:57 PM
Nadal

Man ... get real please ... if Nadal had an excellent Second serve he would've been the GOAT already ! That's one of his biggest weaknesses ...

leng jai
03-23-2013, 10:19 PM
Sampras.

Tiebreak100
03-23-2013, 10:25 PM

Isner has a good 2nd serve basically because he is serving from a tree. Other than that - Federer by far. Best placement serve ever.

Agree with this fellow. The Murray second serve in big matches has me hiding behind a cushion.

choppaa
03-23-2013, 10:45 PM

Rubbish statement by you as always, Djokovic always had really great second serve, one of the best, he can serve really agressive second serve when he wants but how can you know that if you barely watch his matches. It's his first serve that was not that great if you count that as a weakness. So no, Djokovic's second serve is not his weakness, never was, stop trolling.

Certinfy
03-24-2013, 01:14 AM
Isner probably has the best second serve of all time.

For players not that tall though the first that springs to mind is definitely Roddick.

FlameOn
03-24-2013, 01:52 AM
I remember Soderling, and his second serve was often like a slowed-down first serve - slower but still flat. Probably not the best second serve though as a slowed-down first serve with a similar trajectory would be easy for an ATP player to anticipate after a while.

But he's probably a reasonable example of a player that played with two first serves (one being slower than the other of course).

leng jai
03-24-2013, 03:08 AM
I remember Soderling, and his second serve was often like a slowed-down first serve - slower but still flat. Probably not the best second serve though as a slowed-down first serve with a similar trajectory would be easy for an ATP player to anticipate after a while.

But he's probably a reasonable example of a player that played with two first serves (one being slower than the other of course).

Having a flat trajectory for your second serve is not a good thing. It's fine for a first serve since the speed and placement makes up for it but for a second serve is just ends up being a mid court ball right into most player's hitting zones. That's before even taking into account that the margin of error is also worse while having very little benefit.

Kyle_Johansen
03-24-2013, 03:10 AM
Currently, Isner and Federer.

All-time, Pete.

MinioNole
03-24-2013, 03:15 AM
Lol at people saying that Nole's 2nd serve is weak.

Honestly
03-24-2013, 03:15 AM
1. Who has the best second serve among active players? I think it might be Nadal or Djokovic. Maybe Federer. What do you think?

2. Who has the best second serve of all time? I would guess Edberg.

2. What would be the effect of trying to get by with only a first serve? I guess no one really does it because they would hit too many double faults. But maybe the increased double faults would be offset by the better outcomes of more first serves. Any thoughts?

So much fail in this OP I won't be able to cover it all. But dull and Djoker the best 2nd serves? :superlol: Edberg best ever 2nd serve? Jesus. Let me help you out some. Dull has a shit 2nd serve. Djokovic nothing special either. Yes, the answer is Federer. Sampras had by far the best 2nd serve of all time.

You are welcome.

Your 2nd point 2(?) has too much fail in it for me to even bother.

Topspindoctor
03-24-2013, 03:26 AM
Man ... get real please ... if Nadal had an excellent Second serve he would've been the GOAT already ! That's one of his biggest weaknesses ...

Nadal has an excellent second serve. How often do you see it get attacked on consistent basis? Exactly. He always wins a solid amount of points on second serve as well.

Kyle_Johansen
03-24-2013, 03:27 AM
Nadal and Djokovic win points on their 2nd serves because of their baseline games.

leng jai
03-24-2013, 03:36 AM
Nasal has an advantage on his serve based purely on the fact he's left handed. The lefty swinger out wide on the ad court is extremely tough to attack for right handers has it exploits the lack of reach on the backhand. The serve down the T on the deuce court is also effective as it's virtually impossible to run around the backhand and hit a really offensive forehand.

Kyle_Johansen
03-24-2013, 03:59 AM
Nasal has an advantage on his serve based purely on the fact he's left handed. The lefty swinger out wide on the ad court is extremely tough to attack for right handers has it exploits the lack of reach on the backhand. The serve down the T on the deuce court is also effective as it's virtually impossible to run around the backhand and hit a really offensive forehand.

Exactly.

I think Djokovic's first serve has improved lots with its accuracy, and his 2nd has improved too, but it's hardly among the best 2nd's in the game.

TBkeeper
03-24-2013, 06:52 AM
Nadal has an excellent second serve. How often do you see it get attacked on consistent basis? Exactly. He always wins a solid amount of points on second serve as well.

... i think that he is winning a solid amount of points cause of his incredible stability on the baseline :confused: dunno maybe you're right.

derstatic
03-24-2013, 08:38 AM
Current players probably Fed and big John. Weakest second needs Niemo in the running.

Timot
03-24-2013, 12:59 PM
Definitely Isner.

His kick 2nd serve is more dangerous than what many guys can produce with their first!

FlameOn
03-25-2013, 01:55 AM
Having a flat trajectory for your second serve is not a good thing. It's fine for a first serve since the speed and placement makes up for it but for a second serve is just ends up being a mid court ball right into most player's hitting zones. That's before even taking into account that the margin of error is also worse while having very little benefit.
It seems to work for Robin at least. He does go for the safe one sometimes with more height over the net, so it's not like he serves brainlessly, but when he goes for his second serves he's completely fearless. His lack of DF generally is quite impressive given the risk on his second serve. You probably have to be fearless. Sharapova does the same thing on WTA, with less success (goes for the second serve almost like a first).

romismak
03-25-2013, 09:50 AM
Best 2nd serve probably without competition - Isner - not much to say anyone who is following tennis knowsh how great 2nd serve that´s it- NAdal and Djokovic - are nowhere near best servers in any deparment- statistically wise they can be high - but SERVICE GAME is not the same as SERVE - in service game hold and so on other stats - those gyus are high thanks to their groundstrokes and other skills

About only 1st serves - i was thinking about this too - only player that came to my mind - not now but few years ago when his serve was better and his 1st serve was scariest weapon in tennis is Karlovic - say in 2007-08 if Ivo would go only for 1st serves and his FS% would be high enough for example in mid 60s% he would make a lot of DF´s but basicylly every 1st serve IN would be ace, unreturnable or ,,easy,, point,, so guy like Karlovic would maybe statistically win more points on serve this way like going to rallies after his 2nd serve.

habibko
03-25-2013, 11:00 AM
Feliciano Lopez and Federer