Contact Point [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Contact Point

Chrs2088
01-12-2005, 06:13 AM
Many people have told me that you should strive have a consistent contact point, so you contac the ball at the same point in your stroke each shot. If this is true, then how can you hit crosscourt vs. down the line? Isn't hitting crosscourt opening up earlier and therefore hitting earlier in the stroke?

Chrs2088
01-12-2005, 06:15 PM
anyone?

Black Adam
01-12-2005, 07:02 PM
sorry i have no idea :)

Ultraman
01-12-2005, 07:06 PM
The US Professional Tennis Association has some good free video clips on how to hit various strokes. You might find them helpful:

http://uspta.com/index.cfm/MenuItemID/1266.htm

Domino
01-12-2005, 07:10 PM
The contact point stays in the same location, your follow through with respect to your shoulders directs the ball. Having the contact point in the same position does not restrict your ability to direct the ball, rather, what everyone is telling you is that you should find that right spot in front (or to the side) of you where it is effortless to change your shoulders and direct the shot. It takes a lot of practice.

Angle Queen
01-12-2005, 07:36 PM
It's all about the setup...getting your body in the right position...and follow through. Some might say you're telegraphing your reply...but in the heat of an exchange...few are sharp enough to even bother. No one's got a slo-mo button...in real time.

Keep at it!!

Leena
01-12-2005, 07:39 PM
Yes, it's all the setup. Don't purposely try to hit the ball earlier.

That fast serve drill gave me chills...

I understand the point... but he's fixing one thing, and screwing up a bunch of others.

tennischick
01-13-2005, 12:40 AM
your contact point is always in front. always move into the ball. this is true regardless of what direction you're trying to hit.

the position of your legs and shoulders is what helps you direct the ball crosscourt (shoulders more open; closed or open stance) or down-the-line (left shoulder in front for a right-hander).

the advantage to taking the ball earlier is that you gain some time on your opponent and get back the ball to him/her faster. the timing of the shot has nothing to do with the direction in which you hit it.

tennis4you
01-13-2005, 02:19 AM
always in front eh?

Moving forward is a great way to hit the ball if the option is there, it will not always be there.

I agree with the shoulders though. I try to keep mine turned until the last minute to try not too give too much away (where I am going to hit the shot)

Also where your racquet strikes the ball. Directly on rear face, slightly on the outside, those will also help determine where the ball is going to go.

The
01-13-2005, 02:36 AM
always in front eh?

Moving forward is a great way to hit the ball if the option is there, it will not always be there.

I agree with the shoulders though. I try to keep mine turned until the last minute to try not too give too much away (where I am going to hit the shot)

Also where your racquet strikes the ball. Directly on rear face, slightly on the outside, those will also help determine where the ball is going to go.

Yeah, the contact point and soulder turn should be the same on crosscourt or down the line, its where you brush up on the ball that makes the difference. For example, to hit cross court you aim to strike a little towards the right side of the ball, if you want to go inside out you aim a little left of center. If controlled correctly this will give the ball the necessary curve and spin to pass opponents from the baseline and be more precise on the groundstrokes, but the contact point and soulder turn should not be any different because if you open up your soulders too early you
a) interfere with power generation during the stroke
b) increase likelihood that the ball will be framed.